Brooklyn Manhattan Project - Brooklyn Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Rye Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-27-2009)
View: Beers (70) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
steveshields

4.35/5  rDev +10.7%

Holy sh___ is this a tasty beer.

Like a previous reviewer said, this is a beer that has been made to taste like a sweet manhattan . I like bourbon and I don't drink manhattans but I know one when I taste one... and this "efffing" beer tastes like a BETTER manhattan. I give it a 4.5 and recommend getting it at Rootstock on draft with all the greatness the place as to offer.

10-11-2009 07:42:02 | More by steveshields
koopa

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Growler (1 of 3) purchased at De Ciccio's in Ardsley NY.

Appearance: Deep garnet to brown body with minimal off white crown. No retention or lace. The body is slightly radiant and attractive.

Smell: Nice notes of vermouth, cherry, lush malt, some type of spice...seems like cinnamon, bitters, etc. Lots going on here.

Taste: A touch malty up front but that quickly gives way to the spice, bitters, and vermouth. A light cherry syrup makes an appearance towards the end.

Mouthfeel: A touch under carbonated but that is probably due to the growler being a week old. As I got towards the bottom of the growler the carbonation concentration seemed to increase. The last few pours even had an off white crown and showed some lace!

Drinkability: Fairly good and probably would have been better when the brew was fresh.

Definitely pushes the envelope of what beer is. I'll lift my glass...here's to you Mr. Oliver! Jesus loves you more than you will know...oh wo wo wo.

Serving type: growler

10-09-2009 22:56:08 | More by koopa
NeroFiddled

4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

With the Manhattan Project, Garret and Andrew have reinforced the fact that the United States is the leading beer country in the world!

It is unlike any other beer ever made - totally unique - and it pushes the envelope a little bit further. In Brooklyn style, it also does it with style and grace.

It's an exceptionally tasty beer, and yet it almost doesn't even taste like beer. In fact, I guess I'd say it doesn't taste like beer... what kinds of roads this might lead us down I don't know.

It's a hazy brown beneath a creamy off-white/tan head. The retention is good and it leaves average lacing about the glass.

It's herbal in aroma with a hint of dark fruit and cherry.

The flavor is more cherry-like, and less herbal, although it's still there, and it has just a hint of sourness.

I was given a taste of this blind by the bartender and asked what I thought it tasted like. I said Bourbon and cherry syrup. Then he revealed to me that it was The Manhattan Project. I think they've really nailed it. Amazing!

It finishes with sweet cherry syrup and herbs left on the palate.

Amazing! This is original in all of the world of beer. I find it closest to a kind of Oud Bruin with herbs added, but who knows. All I know is that I paid $10 for a small glass (10 oz.) at the Cafe D'Alsace Manhattan, and I was glad to have it. I'd have enjoyed another at that price without question had I not had to move on. Absolutely worth seeking out just for its uniqueness! Brilliant!

10-09-2009 02:22:36 | More by NeroFiddled
mikey711

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

A: amber color mild carbonation half inch head. Ok lace.

S: some rye, vermouth, a bit estery as well.

T: rye woody some spices, cloves and pepper. Mild whiskey notes and a hint of fruitiness.

M: nice and creamy with a dryness that coats the back of my mouth only mildly boozy.

D: goes down very quickly and does have that manhattan essence

Edited later in the night from a growler:
After having another taste of this beer it grew on me quite a bit. I am not a big liquor drinker but I do enjoy thr occasional manhattan. I really enjoy the vermouth characteristics in the beer. It also gets way better as it warms up. Still not the most aromatic beer, but its uniqueness is great and shows the limitless potential of beer

10-08-2009 20:33:58 | More by mikey711
Gmann

4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at the Blind Tiger. Pours a pretty dark red/purple color with a soapy head that quickly dissipates into nothingness, flat. The aroma is nothing crazy, peppery & spicy from the rye. The taste is peppery with rye spice/sour flavor. There is a nice berry flavor towards the end, perhaps cherry or raspberry. A solid malt body supports the spicy and fruit flavors. Despite the flat look, the brew has decent carbonation with a light to moderate body, well balanced. A very tasty brew; nice combination of spicy/zest and fruit flavor.

10-02-2009 00:50:15 | More by Gmann
Billolick

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

Growler pour from Whole Foods Bowery in lower manhattan, NYC, NY. Pours darker brown and murky, under a cap of creamy medium khaki foam, that stays and stays, leaving a full collar as well as fine sheeting and plentiful lace. Earthy nose with vanilla, bourbon and just a hint of rye showing through. Interesting brew, with notes of pumpkin, allspice, vanilla, honey and more bourbon. Full bodied and coating on the tongue. More bourbon as well as smooth malt in the finish. Sophisticated and intriguing. A grown up beer from a grown up brewery

09-30-2009 01:14:02 | More by Billolick
JoEBoBpr

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A - A dark amber color with nice red hues. Has a white head that is very dense but recedes quickly and leaves a thin mat.

S - Very grainy and bready. The smell is very faint. There is some sweetness in there and no sign of hops. There is some peppery spice in there as well.

T - A nice malty sweetness that then becomes bready and almost nutty as well. There are spices present such as cilantro and some pepper as well. There is rye in there definitely!!

M - A little on the lighter side could be a little heavier. well carbonated.

D - Refreshing. ABV is hidden well.

09-27-2009 20:35:57 | More by JoEBoBpr
david18

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When i asked what style this beer is i was told it was an "ale" so I had to base it on my own ability to detect styles. I assumed it was a belgian dark ale but I guess i was way off. It was a good beer, I guess I misinterpreted the rye for beligian yeast effect but in either case it was very enjoyable. Good dark color, very good carbonation, didn't notice the aroma but the taste, mouthfeel and drinkabilty were all good.

Had another one and now i've learned that it's not just a Rye Ale either. It's a rye ale infused with the other flavors that go into the drink Manhattan (bitters, cherry, etc.). Not bad but not too often for me.

09-26-2009 21:08:15 | More by david18
m1ked

3.58/5  rDev -8.9%

Growler from the WF Bowery

A- Pours a clear dark brown red, like root beer. The head was never that big, like maybe 1/4 inch ogf white micro tiny bubbles that turn into a ring around the rim. No streamers seen.

S- A spicy grain, like all-spice, ginger and a hint of banana and bubblegum- not in a hefe sort of way though. There is a hint of booze in there at the end, can't really put a finger on it though. I like the smell, its just not very pronounced.

T- Has a cherry cough syrup (not in a bad way??) sweetness with that allspicy, subtle ginger flavor. It really reminds me of the cardoz batch, but not as light/bright. I am not getting any rye beer or rye whiskey flavors here.** This just in, let it warm up and the rye whiskey notes start to show up**

M- Good crisp sharp bubbles for a brief moment, then gone. Medium bodied. Does seem to leave a coating of the cough syrup flavor that lingers.

D- I'll start off by saying I love the experimentation with themes. I may have been my own worst enemy in as much that I was reallly looking forward to the rye/rye combo inspired by some fancy mixologist guy... I get more of a maraschino cherry flavor than anyting else....It is it supposed to be Manhattan project as in like the drink Manhattan, right? I just wish it had some rye beer flavor, I didn't get any of that- bummer. Cool idea though and a cool beer.

Serving type: growler

09-26-2009 03:34:35 | More by m1ked
phattysbox

2.9/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Sampled at Dive Bar on 96th st. in NYC.

Pours an immediate copper-brownish and absolutely clear. Minimal head and hardly any lacing - extremely fine carbonation. The brew looks OK, but thats about it.

Smells of rye and sour notes with minimal hop profile background as expected. Anyone make a Manhattan with hops? There is a caramel and toasty background as well and could very well be from some modified rye malts. Some whisky notes, slight vanilla and vermouth are there in the nose.

Disclaimer: I'm not fond of Manhattans

That being said, the taste was a real let down for me. The rye (30%?) is really apparent with bready, spicy, and sour flavor. The melding of the vermouth notes and rye however really clash for me and is not to my taste. There is a sharp twang that is hard to describe and just rides through the whole experience. Maybe if the beer had less rye or vermouth character one could be more upfront and the other give support. Kinda like a backup singer. This brew is like two rock singers on stage vying for the spotlight - unbalanced. There is a Marris Otter malt profile in the back there as well, something that Garrett does quite well.

Mouthfeel was a bit average as since the carb. was kinda low. I'm sure the drinkability from other that review would be better but from the ABV to the taste - not for me.

An interesting attempt at replicating a cocktail and I'm glad I tried it but won't be seeking it out.

09-23-2009 18:45:23 | More by phattysbox
TheViceBlog

4.1/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at Rattle 'N' Hum at last night's event where I also had the pleasure of meeting Garrett Oliver.

A rye beer aged in Rittenhouse Rye whiskey barrels and then infused with botanicals from sweet vermouth and bitters, this beer smells spot-on like a glorious Manhattan and the taste is right there too. It is a most interesting execution, something maybe only Garrett could come up with. Really boozy, you can feel the rye. A little too sweet in a cough-drop type way, but that's a minor quibble. A slightly uneven blending, with a tart cherry finish, this isn't quite as seamlessly smooth as I'd like and I'd probably enjoy a thicker mouthfeel. Or, maybe, I'd just enjoy a straight up 100 proof Manhattan. Naw, this beer is great, a truly sui generis offering. I hope it's around for a long time to come. It's a beer I'm gonna remember for a long time.

I hope Garrett continues pushing the envelope. Maybe he'll whip up a mint julep beer next!

Aaron