Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer - Brooklyn Brewery

New York, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Reviews: 733 | Hads: 1,534

Mild bread, malt, kettle sugar and spice aromas. Not much hop on the nose and no diacetyl. It pours brilliant copper tinted amber under a very lightly tan tinted 3” white foam cap that fairly quickly dissipates. Rich malt flavors with slight kettle sugar sweetness, grainy spiciness, no fruit, finishing dry with a moderate hop bitterness. High end of medium on the body with slightly below medium carbonation. (412 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

S- Good carmel and malt smell.
L- Much carbonation with a nice creamy head. Nice looking amber orange color.
T- Nice malty taste with a sweet finish. Carmel taste coming through nicely. Hops come through in the end making a more complex feeling in which taste sticks around.
F- Not as smooth as many octofests due to the hoppy bite in the end.
O- A nice octofest. (371 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A - Clear reddish amber in color with a thick khaki colored head that dissipates nice and slowly. Head has a bit of a creamy appearance. 4/5

S - Smells like fresh baked bread with a bit of dark stone fruitiness to it. A bit of grassy hops are present as well. Yeasty aroma comes out more as the beer warms. 3.75/5

T - Taste follows the smell with a bit more emphasis on the grassy hops. Lingering bitterness shows up on the back end. Increasing amount of granny smith apple flavor on the sides of my tongue as the beer warms, which throws me a bit. 3.5/5

M - Has a bit of a creamy texture to it. Not as crisp as expected. Lingers in my mouth for quite a long time. 3.25/5

O - The flavor was not as enjoyable as the smell but an enjoyable beer nonetheless. 3.5/5 (811 characters)

I LOVE Oktoberfest and I believe that Brooklyn Breweries take on the style is delicious. There's not much else to say about this except that it is definitely easy drinking.

Try one. The ratings don't look that great but give it a shot! (237 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

355 ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. A deep fiery red-bronze color with quick breaking beige head; some light creamy bubbles cling persistently around the rim of the glass. Aroma is rich toasty malts, raisins, brown sugar, and ethereal grassy hops. Faint whiff of grainy alcohol. Delivers some wonderfully authentic Munich malt flavor. I get brown bread, slightly tart fruit (almost citric or perhaps Granny Smith apple), sweeter dark fruit (raisins and plums), a touch of molasses and burnt caramel. Considerable malty depth, with a sturdy medium body and medium-heavy carbonation. Finishes semi-dry I suppose, with some lingering grass/hay, pepper, and orange peel (!) notes. Malts from the genuine source make all the difference here, along with tasteful hopping. One of my favorite widely available O-fests. (815 characters)

From a bottle into an imperial pint glass (tasted side-by-side with Millstream and Summit Ofests)

A: dark copper, massive head, leaving the best lacing.
S: I'm missing something. Slight biscuity sweetness, and a little tart/sour apple cider.
T: A little light bready sweetness, some vinous apple, twangy herbal hops.
M: Light to Medium, a faint buzz toward the back.

Overall: On its own, it was decent. In comparison, this was far and away the least pleasing of the three I was tasting. The herbal and apple notes and lack of richer sweeter bready malt left me wanting quite a bit. (590 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +19.6%

I always enjoy Brooklyn Beers but I was surprised how much I enjoyed their Oktoberfest.
Easily, my favorite Oktoberfest this season.
I will be buying more of this before the Fall is over. (187 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%

Bottle from Lazy Dog Macon. Pours hazy brown with white head. Aroma of malts, wheat and fruit. Tastes of bread with sweetness at the end. Notes of hops and toffee. Not that crazy about it. (188 characters)

Clear ark amber pour with a small off-white head. Light toasted aroma with some grain and yeast. Taste is grainy with some spicy and earthy hops also present. Not much sweetness. Medium body also has a good yeast presence. Finishes crisp. (238 characters)

Brooklyn does many beers very well but this is probably not one of their best. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent Oktoberfest but there are better out there.
Can't really put my finger on what it is that makes it less than stellar but opinions are like a**holes. everyone has one. (280 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle from Harvest Market.
Deep copper color with a huge bubbly off white head. Aromas of bready malt with floral hops. Rich bready maltiness, bubbly mouthfeel. Respectable stateside Oktoberfest beer. (202 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Brooklyn Brewery's Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer last week for $1.59 at The Lager Mill. I'm still working on trying Oktoberfest's that are new to me and since I've never had this one before I thought I would take a chance on it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into my Oktoberfest Stein.

A- The label looks good, it's got a simple and clean look to it and I like the shiny background and I found it to be eye catching. It poured a fairly clear amber color that took on more of an amber red color when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of bubbly off white head that died down fairly quickly to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was a decent looking beer, but I wish the lacing and head retention were better..

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a light toasted, caramel malt, caramel, bready, lightly grainy and bread crust like aromas with some of that clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a fruity aroma that's apple cider like but there's also a little bit of pear showing up and at the end there's a light herbal hop aroma. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that was true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time there was a nice toffee flavor that worked well with the other aspects. Up next comes that clean lager yeast that goes right into a fruity flavor that still has some apple and pear like qualitys to it. On the finish there's a pretty light herbal hop flavor with no bitterness and just a slight amount of sweetness taking it's place and it had malty and fruity aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, the malts were just a little more robust than normal, but it was still pretty true to style.

M- Smooth, fairly clean, crisp on the thicker side of being lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a above average example of the style, it had pretty much all the aspects that I expect from the style and in typical American fashion the malts were just a little more bolder than they are traditionally, but I expect that from these American made Marzens and it fit in well within the style. This beer had good drinkability, It was smooth, fairly clean, crisp, not filling at all and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could drink more than a few of these without getting tired of it. What I like the most about this beer was was how true to style it was, it was just what I expect from a American made Marzen. What I liked the least about this beer was the appearance, the head and lacing could have been a little better. I would buy this beer again when in the mood for the style and I would recommend it to anyone who likes the style, it's just a nice example of a Marzen. All in all I was happy with this beer, it had all the aspects that I was looking for and it came together to make for a enjoyable Marzen. This is one of the better beers I have had from this brewery, but isn't a favorite of the style. Nice job guys, this was a tasty Marzen, keep up the solid work. (3,510 characters)

4.01/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 fl oz (355 ml) bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance is clear amber and beautiful: Looks like fine cognac, very appealing and mesmerizing. The nose I detected cherry, a whiff of (blood) orange, herb even a hint of apple. Head is rich and frothy, with small concentrated bubbles that only enhance its bewitching appearance. Goes down like a fine spirit: With the fruit blend mentioned above, light crispness, on the dry side and a quiet amount of sweetness. I keep thinking that I should drink this in a snifter than in my tulip glass (although a tulip glass can be mistaken for a snifter - and I do treat mine as such!). Ideal for roast beef, steak or shellfish. Good for any month of the year. (712 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The beer pours a fairly foamy head that takes a while to dissipate. The foam color is a tannish kind of color. The beer itself is a copper color that borders on brown. The beer smell is very bready and very yeasty with a hint of sweetness and hop notes. The hop notes are slightly bitter. The beer taste is a bit hoppier than I'm comfortable with but it doesn't detract too much from the taste even though it's supposed to be sweeter. Rather, the hops add an interesting orange note to it at the end. The beer taste also has various malt notes such as sweet and bready besides the hop notes. The mouthfeel is fairly smooth and a little bit light for an Oktoberfest. Very carbonated. Overall, an okay and interesting Oktoberfest.. (729 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Poured a nice amber. Short lasting white head completely dissipates. The aroma is mild and nondescript malt with a slight astringency. Taste loses the latter but keeps the former. A bit too much carbonation on the palate. (221 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%

Serving: 12 oz both poured into a Brooklyn Brewery tulip pint glass.

Appearance: Clear, rich copper color. Medium, bubbly off-white head, recedes with minimal lacing.

Smell: Full, malty aroma with toasted grains and sweet caramel.

Taste: Malty, though not as much as the aroma hints. Hops are muted but some spicy and bitter flavors come through.

Mouthfeel: A bit light in body and carbonation.

Overall: A straightforward, drinkable Oktoberfest though somewhat light in body. (480 characters)

3.73/5  rDev 0%

I am not a big fan of Brooklyn on the whole. That being said, I like the Oktoberfest quite a bit. The only negative is the spice (clove?) on the finish. Other than that the beer is a beautiful orange/brown cloudy color with a 1 finger head when poured into a goblet glass. There is a fine mixed spice smell that translates nicely to the front half of this beer. The one dominate spice on the back half brought this beer down slightly for me. Body is solid. Best offering by Brooklyn of those I have had - will seek out other new Brooklyn beers, something that I was avoiding in recent months. (599 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into lager glass.
Appearance was dark amber, almost like organic Apple juice. Carbonation bubbles were present and visible. 1 1/2 finger head that lasted for the better part of four minutes.

The aroma was of a typical Octoberfest beer; malt, German hops, bready yeast etc.

The taste however was a bit disappointing. It has a subtle metallic taste that's annoying. Roasted malts are present, so is the taste of the bready yeast. But then it's sort of flat from then on. It tasted like a flat version of Sam Adams Octoberfest beer.

Mouth feel was flat. Don't get me wrong, the carbonation bubbles were there prickling the tongue, but there was no "chew" to this beer.

There really isn't much to say about this beer other than it didn't do much for me. It had no character that made me want to buy it again. The flavor profile left a lot to be desired. There are much better Marzen style beers out there. You won't be missing much by skipping out on this one. (990 characters)

A: crystal clear; bronze colored; 1 finger pillowy khaki head that receded to a thin ring; a little lacing, but not much;

S: muted; a little sweet;

T: toffee, yeast, and malt; a little bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied - maybe a little thinner; moderate carbonation;

O: a little light on both aroma and flavor for me; (330 characters)

A- nice bone white head that didn't last too long. Minimal lacing. Clear, amber, copper.

S- clean, malty, bready.

T- bitter, spicy (ginger), caramel, malt.

M- medium to full body. Very crisp.

O- good, not great. Nothing offensive, but have had better Marzens. Worth a try, but wouldn't have again.

Cheers! (310 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Best by Feb 2015. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a transparent copper with a small off-white head that fades quickly and leaves okay retention and lacing. The aromas are solid. Very malty. Lots of caramel and toffee. Fresh bread. Some grains. The flavors aren't bad, but seem to be the weak link, in my opinion. More caramel, toffee, and butterscotch. There's a subtle toastiness going on. More bread and grains. It's standard for the style, but finishes weak. Mouthfeel is nice. It's light with very active carbonation. It's fluffy and smooth. Easy to drink.

This is your average Oktoberfest. It's not bad, but doesn't standout against other examples of the style. It's a nice beer to eat some meat and potatoes with... or maybe some sausage. (757 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

(2014) Oh, this was a great one... possibly my favourite Marzen of all time. It's very roasty-malty, and I fell in love with the colour on the pour, much less the taste that hit my palate.

Best American Okie I've ever had. (223 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

Decided to review this beer because of something interesting I noticed about it. This beer tastes significantly better to me drank out of the bottle rather than a glass. Out of a glass this beer is very average, but out of the bottle it is much more flavorful and more of what I expect of an oktoberfest style.

Odd that it really is only this beer as I prefer other oktoberfest style beers in glasses. (404 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased a single bottle- best before jan 2015

Appearance-orangish, more on the amber side. Crystal clear with zero head off the pour and no lacing

Smell- very neutral in the pint glass that it was poured in- the smell from the bottle is malty

Taste- solid marzen syle, I get a good dose of Munich malt, a little residual sweetness, very pleasant

Mouthfeel- a bit over carbonated, almost like a ginger ale carbonation, very fizzy and makes the beer feel a little thin, after it breathes for a while it gets a little better

Overall- I loooooooooove marzens's, octoberfests, Vienna lagers etc, this was not my favorite octoberfest, I give it a solid "B" for effort, it was worth trying but I wouldn't seek it out.

-prosit, BMFR (737 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes

Auburn colored, nice lacing. Mildly nutty with a good dose of malts. Slight touch of metallic. Flavor is malt forward with delicate hop finish. Mild bitterness. Smooth carbonation, crisp. Pretty good overall. Not something I want to seek out but if it's there I'll drink it. (293 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last