Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer Alström Bros
kbnooshay

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Mmm. This pours a beautiful orangey red with a nice sticky head with good lacing.This is different that the other brooklyn offerings as it doesn't have that certain flavor they all seem to have but this is a great version of octoberfest beer.
The taste is full of october malty goodness. There is a sweet honey taste in there, also caramel. The mouthfeel is the typical but amazing brooklyn mouthfeel; creamy stickey good. Very very drinkable.

09-09-2005 20:51:07 | More by kbnooshay
asabreed

I've been hearing about this as one of the better domestic attempts, so I decided to try it. Turned out it was surely worth it.

Appearance: Beautiful color between an orange and an amber. Some sticky lacing around the glass, though I wish the head stayed around longer (though this could be due to my pint glass not being as clean as it could or should be).

Smell: Not an insane amount of complexity, but it's clean, malty, bready, yeasty, and certainly pleasant. If anything it's something like faint maple or honey probably from the malts.

Taste: Honey-like malts, with a touch of maple or toffee sweetness. Though I can't discern too terribly much in a singular fashion, it all comes together for a great taste. I love how the hops linger for a second and then sink back into the malts with the swallow. It's done very well. The aftertaste is also bready, malty, and lingers well on the back of the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, though slightly chewy because of the malty body. Carbonation certainly seems right on.

Drinkability: I think I'm going to have to make this a session beer at some point soon, as this is the only bottle I'm drinking now as a sampler (though I know I can get more at the market down the street).

I have to say, also, that this is one of the best Brooklyn brews I've ever had. I think maybe because it doesn't scream, "I am a Brooklyn Brew," as their Brown, Weiss, and Pennant have sometimes done for me. Maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense, but this one certainly is worth a shot, and I'm a big fan of it.

09-08-2005 03:20:09 | More by asabreed
silver0rlead

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours a clear amber color with a nice off white head that retains ok. Aroma is bready and grain-like with a lightly sweet background, very clean. Flavor is complex, with a classic oktoberfest taste; begins with a toasted bread flavor followed by a light caramel sweetness and a grassy, floral hops flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth with a medium body and moderate carbonation. Drinkability is good. A solid offering from Brookyln, easily one of the best american renditions of oktoberfest.

09-05-2005 02:27:35 | More by silver0rlead
GnomeKing

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Waiting in my pint glass, knowing it has minutes to live, Brooklyn Oktoberfest is a cloudless, brilliant amber with a crisp head that quickly vanishes. The grainy smell hints at some elements of the taste, but sipping it reveals some extra flavors, like decent hops that linger pleasantly into the aftertaste and even some hints of sweet and tart fruit. While not simple, the beer is straightforward and highly drinkable. Oh, yeah, the mouthfeel is really nice--soft, not creamy, not to thick, not too thin.

I haven't been a big fan of Oktoberfest beers. Thanks to Brooklyn Brewery for helping me to gain an appreciation of the style.

09-04-2005 03:36:47 | More by GnomeKing
Hop2it

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Looks nice - light brown and a decent off-white head. Smells sweet and estery. Smooth, sweet and malty with a mild hoppy finish. I wonder if it was aged in wood barrels, because it has a nice toasted afertaste.

The dry finish seperates it from many sweeter Oktoberfest beers I've tried. Definately worth picking up again.

09-04-2005 03:18:53 | More by Hop2it
oelergud

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

Dark golden copper body with off-white head that dissipates quickly to a thin float that does stay well and leaves good lace. Moderate carbonation.
Classic lager scent with some sweet honey and caramel notes.
Taste is strong malt toffee up front, hops barely come through, even in the aftertaste they are very subdued and must yield to the malty toffee sensation.
Full and thick body, chewable and leaves good coating, smooth on the tongue.
Pretty good drinkability, a few in the same sitting could make any night better but I think after a few the sweetness will get to you.

-Oelergud

09-03-2005 23:37:15 | More by oelergud
goindownsouth

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

On recommendation from Bierman9...

Presentation: 12 oz long neck brown bottle. No freshness date to be found, but recently received in at The Beer Yard.

Appearance: Red-brown-orange hue. Georgeous. Thick and pillowy head, with strong, ligering lace throughout the glass.

Smell: Great balance with the roasted malty goodness, some floral notes and crispness in the nose.

Taste: Hardly heavy in the malt department. Exactly what an Oktoberfest Bier should be like. I could not get over the balance of the tasty and almost chewey maltiness. As it should be with this style, the hops are present, but in a well-placed supporting role. The more this Bier warms, the more depth is found in the maltiness. Fantastic balance.

Notes: If I would not have known, I would have thought this was in imported Oktoberfest Bier. I will enjoy the remainder of these little soldiers for the next few weeks. It is apparent the time and effort that went into this one. This is one that I will seek out on a yearly basis.

Prosit!

08-28-2005 14:07:33 | More by goindownsouth
pezoids

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Sampled this from being inmy fridge for a few months (like 5!). Poured a deep coppery amber with golden highlights. The head was short lasting and remained thin throughout. The aroma gives off good doses of caramel malt sweetness along with a nice bouquet of roasted nuts. The taste is drier than expected. A dryness that carries right through into the finish. Right beside that dryness is touches of caramel, molasses and even traces of licorice. Medium bodied and very smooth. Overall, a very nice beer and a tasty version of the German counterpart.

06-17-2005 08:01:30 | More by pezoids
mschofield

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a dark amber, topped with a three finger rocky light tan head, leaves puffy webs of lacing.
Rich malty aroma, bread, earthy and herbal notes.
Rich malty taste, bread, toffee, earthy, caramel and herbal notes.
Medium bodied, good straightforward smooth oktoberfest.

03-24-2005 12:37:26 | More by mschofield
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Lightly gauzy pumpkin-copper capped by a lush head of rich, ecru colored foam. The cap was fairly large after a spirited pour and is only now, at the several minutes mark, beginning to flag. Random splotches of lace find their way to the glass, although it isn't as extensive a display as I had hoped.

The aroma is somewhat disappointing in that it lacks strength and distinctiveness. It consists of barely toasted caramel malt with a meager contribution from earthy-spicy hops. There's really nothing in the nose to act as a focal point and, as such, it wanders a bit.

Better, more confident beer on the palate. Brooklyn Oktoberfest is a member of the sweet and malty Oktoberfest school as opposed to the bitter and dry one. It does dry out on the back end however. The flavor has a great deal in common with sweet tea, while fruity, spicy hops keep thing interesting and in relative balance. The body/mouthfeel is solidly medium and holds up well throughout.

Brooklyn Brewery Oktoberfest is a worthwhile take on the style. While I haven't been too impressed with their beer in the past, this one is tasty and drinkable. I'm drinking it a bit out of season, but it's a pleasant reminder of those long gone, crisp October afternoons. Good beer.

01-08-2005 15:22:45 | More by BuckeyeNation
GeoffRizzo

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Light, see through brown hue with a thin dissolving head; minimal lacing if any to be noted. Has a toasted malt and bready nose. Sharp, grainy and some oats noted in the body; some green apple notes in the beginning as well. Medium-bodied, thinly carbonated, body is sweet, warmness gives way to some spicy hop offerings. Smooth and satisfying mouthfeel; clean palate; a wonderful offering!

12-04-2004 02:59:20 | More by GeoffRizzo
JackTheRipper

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

My first review in over four months, please be kind to me O Mighty Beer Gods...
A: Light copper in color, very clear. Minimal head of beige suds. No lacing to be seen.
S: Nice crusty wheat bread is the first thing that comes to mind. There's a strange sort of medicinal smell that can just barely be found with my nose way deep in the glass (my lucky Stella glass).
T: Tastes are bold but quick, if you catch my meaning. Initially presents as a twangy sharp taste which quickly gives way to a toasted grain taste. Finish is a nice sweetness. No real hops to be noticed.
M: The taste is sharp, but it feels very smooth. Medium body, dry finish. Carbonation might be a bit too high, but only if you can measure to about three decimal places. I want to say that the alcohol level is too high, but I haven't had a beer in months, so I won't.
D&N: A nice Marzen (brewed in March, guess I know the roots of that name now) by a top notch brewer. Oh, and don't drink this one right out of the fridge, let it warm up a bit, as with all good beers, it really brings out the deeper flavors and aromas.

11-26-2004 01:56:08 | More by JackTheRipper
feloniousmonk

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Clear, rustic amber/ochre, slim fizzy head, stripping down to a thin wafer.
Earthy, vegetal nose, mildly malty, a bit quiter than I'd like.
rich and tasty in the mouth, though, and very pleasant on the palate. a sweet thing, easily passed by the lips and down the hatch, but utterly unmemorable. Medium bodied, at best, with a quick, indifferent finish.
This has all the earmarks of a decent Oktoberfest, but does nothing to make itself more than that,... thorughly rudimentary, adequately average.
(Wish I could summon up more enthusiasm to match some of the other reviews, but it's not in me for this one, sorry.)

11-25-2004 11:30:50 | More by feloniousmonk
twelvsies

Maine

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark reddish brown color, ,little to no head. Very sweet, nutty, roasty toasty scent to this one, very inviting, very Oktober. Taste isn't quite as full as the smell seemed to suggest, but it's good. That sweet nutty taste is definately there, just not as bold as I would've hoped. Maybe a little watery. Definately a drinkable brew though and tasty, but I wish this beer would just be a little more flavorful, cause it smelled oh so good.

11-14-2004 04:23:03 | More by twelvsies
necoadam

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

This had to be one of the better octoberfest beers out there. A nice surprise.

Pours out a maroon/orangish color with a nice head that goes to lacing after a while.

Smell consisted of toasted malts with some grains and a touch of hops. I thought it was a little bit weak though, I would of liked to see the flavors jump out more in the nose department.

Taste was good though. A good malty backbone to this brew. A tad on the sweet side, but not to worry, it won't be cloying or overbearing by any means. Some hops show up towards the end, but the graininess blends in as well to tame the hops. This was pretty good.

Went down too fast. A terrific brew and one of the better octoberfest/marzen's out there.

11-11-2004 21:01:46 | More by necoadam
abcsofbeer

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a nice clear orange amber color. The head is tannish and rocky, about an inch thick that leaves a good amount of sticky lace. The lace patterns are very nice.

The aroma is faintly sweet and citrusy. The taste is quite hoppy for a Marzen, which was a nice surprise. The hop flavor was in the low to medium range, which gave it a nice bitter aftertaste. The first taste is pretty mild, however. Overall, a pretty decent beer. Haven't had a bad Brooklyn beer yet.

11-10-2004 02:22:14 | More by abcsofbeer
PatandDavid

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

One of two Brooklyn offerings I had this past week at Redbones. Pour was a slightly cloudy amber, topped with a white frothy head. I am noticing some spice in the aroma (more of the subdued nutmeg variety). Tastewise, this is all about the malt, except for some spice in the finish (again, nutmegy). Mouthfeel is medium - (almost thin). I'm not sure if it's spice I am getting, or something intriguing from the hops.

10-31-2004 19:35:23 | More by PatandDavid
talkingpoints

Connecticut

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

This Oktoberfest offering from Brooklyn was my favorite of the season and I have tried all that I can get in Northeast, CT. The beer explodes with the foam cloud opening which always gets me going because I expect a great taste to follow and their was no dissapointment to be found, but a lot of thrills. The malts and hop combined for a creamy taste with some slight bitterness which made me think this is what a German Oktoberfest style beer should taste like. I didn't like this beer last year so my lovefest with it this year should be a hint to run out and try one before the season is over. Update 2007 offering not as good, need to review this again in the fall.

10-27-2004 13:46:13 | More by talkingpoints
aquatonex

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

My fourth Oktoberfest-style this year so far. Also, my first of Brooklyn's offerings.

Dark amber with a little frothy head that lingers a bit. Smells of malt and hops with a slight notice of spice. Looks and smells warm and inviting. The balance of malt and hops was a little off, the hops were a bit more present forcing the beer into the 'bitter' realm of Oktoberfest. However, the spices were still there enough to notice, which is good. This beer was good quality, very consistent and smooth. I'd like to try their other beers.

10-17-2004 15:40:18 | More by aquatonex
Hibernator

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

I picked up a single of the Brooklyn 2004 Oktoberfest during my last trip to NYC.

Presentation is out of a 12 oz brown bottle with a beautiful front label decorated in a nice Fall burnt orange color.

I served this beer in a glass. Attractive white head presented on top. Spotted sticky lacings left marks on the sides of the glass. Copperish orange in color.

Aroma of toasted malt and maly sweetness.

Very clean and crisp overall with an excellent blend of a strong malt backbone and sweetness. Finish has a mini hop presence and caramel sweetness.

Tasty Oktoberfest ! You could have told me this was an Oktoberfest from a German brewery and I would have no doubts. As usual, Garrett Oliver nails another great beer.

10-15-2004 23:32:17 | More by Hibernator
Naerhu

Japan

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Beautiful rust red body. Thin off-white head. No visible carbination. Thick body of lacing.
Fresh US earthy hiding. Chocolate-y toasty malt aroma dominates, though.
Surprisingly sweet, more malted milkball chocolate flavor. Tastes similar to many an alt I've had. Would have enjoyed a more hoppy (though non-characteristic hoppiness). Dry finish.
Rather small on the palate.
Fun little beer, nothing to come back to though. For the same season, I prefer their Pumpkin Ale.

10-11-2004 15:50:22 | More by Naerhu
Jacobob10

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours out a dark orange color with a small yet consistent head. Very nice aroma. The taste is great as well. Not too heavy, not too light. Feels great on the palate and is an extremely drinkable beer. This is one of the better Oktoberfest beers that I have ever had. Brooklyn Brewery continues to impress me.

10-10-2004 23:05:21 | More by Jacobob10
NEhophead

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

12 oz brown bottle decorated with an odd retro-looking label.

Foamy off white head with poor retention; some larger bubbles cling to the sides. Spotty lacing with pretty decent strength. Glowing mahogany in color.

A sweet caramel malt aroma with a whiff of alcohol.

An initial caramel sweetness followed by a crisp bitterness. The aftertaste is a bit floral with some roasted malt aspects.

Not as chewy as expected; much lighter on the palate than other Marzens. Evenly balanced and crisp, yet a bit thin.

Very drinkable version of the style. IMO this is just a slightly above average Marzen with nothing in terms of flavor that really make it stand out.

10-10-2004 22:34:56 | More by NEhophead
jvajda

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Redish brown color and a decent head.It really looks great.
Smell: Lemon and sour notes.
Taste: I'm not very familiar with this style, but this beer surprised me. It is sour and fruity with all kinds of Fall spices. I'll be sampling more of these for sure. This is a really thirst quenching beer.
Mouthfeel: This beer blossoms in the mouth.
Drinkability: Again, I'm new to Oktoberfest brews, but I liked this a lot and definitely see myself having another sometime soon.

10-09-2004 06:04:15 | More by jvajda
farHillsBrewer

Maryland

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

2004 edition opened in October.
Poured with a lavish brown head which was easily fluffed up with a swirl of the glass. The color was copper-almost brown and clear.
Nose-wise this beer is pleasant with toasty malt and a bit of bitterness.
It went down real easy, practially disappearing before my eyes. Plenty of length on the caramel malt which kept offering the next pull. A touch of noble hops for balance and an overall excellent example of the fest style.
Best fest of the season so far.

10-08-2004 23:04:06 | More by farHillsBrewer