Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer - Brooklyn Brewery

New York, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer Alström Bros
3.62/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had it straight out of the bottle.

A: Couldn't get the best idea since it was in the bottle, but from what I was able to "see" it looked like your typical amber-style Oktoberfest brew.

S: I really liked the smell. Sweet caramel malts with a bread-like aroma.

T: Has a nice sweetness to it while still being malty. There's a bit of a spicy note that is present on the finish.

M: Quite carbonated, and smooth.

O: I'm still a bit new to the "Oktoberfest" style, but from what I've had of this beer, I like it. I'm a fan of Brooklyn's other brews, so I'm not disappointed that I have a 6-pack of this to go through. Definitely could be a nice session beer for the fall.

A: clear amber with brown hues. 2 finger frothy head with decent lace

S: Very malty with typical lager/bready aroma.

T: malt and grain. Citrus and some earth notes. Typical of the style.

M:very smooth. moderate carbonation. Medium body.

Overall: an excellent oktoberfest. One of my favorites.

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a rich, deep amber with a finger of sticky, off white head that acts like it's got somewhere to go (if not necessarily in a hurry).

Nose of bready and caramel malts, with a touch of floral noble hops. As it warmed, I lost the hops, and a slight fruitiness developed.

A toffee-like malt sweetness up front that seemed a little thin, watery. Bready with maybe a hint of dark fruit (raisins, plums). A tight little punch of hop bitterness in the middle, and a slight tartness on the finish.

Slick, slightly chewy; somewhat prickly in the middle of the palette. I get a subtle but distinct pucker, which while not being necessarily unpleasant, did surprise me a little for the style. A little thin for my taste, but, consequently, wouldn't be too hard to down a couple Masskrugs of.

A tasty enough brew, but not one I would necessarily be dying to try again. My enthusiasm for the Autumn is such that I really want my Fall Seasonals to knock my socks off with loud, bold flavors, and this one is just a bit too polite to do it for me.

4.12/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a light fizzy almost 1 finger head that fades at a med pace over mostly clear amber reddish color, a bit darker and more red than I expected.

Nose has nice toasted malts, lots of Munich malt, light caramel malts, light sweet toasty lager malt and a light crisp lager like aroma, a bit of a juicy malt profile, quite like the style and very similar to most of the Munich Oktoberfests I've been having a lot lately.

Taste comes on with malts again, toasty earthy malts, some reddish malts, Munich malt, some crystal malts again with hint of caramel, toasted malts but not quite the cracked straw flavors. there is some juicy lager flavors, with hints of fruits and semi crisp. Hops come out as well, with some earthy almost herbal and slight spicy hops, which I wouldn't really think as noble hops. Finishes mostly clean, a bit more of the bittering hops with hint sof spicy and earthy hops again, as well as slight caramel and toasty malts.

Mouth is med to a bit lighter bodied, semi crisp, good carb.

Overall pretty good, nice malt profile especially the nose, the hop profile isn't exactly what I expected but doesn't throw it off too much. Nice lager profile although I would have liked a slightly cleaner and crisper finish. Otherwise one of the better American made Oktoberfests I've had to date.

4.07/5  rDev +11.8%

Dark amber with a thin khaki head.

Aroma of toasted malt

Taste: Brooklyn Oktoberfest starts out with a caramel sweetness that is followed a hollowed owed shadow of plums and raisins which then changes to a burnt toast bitterness and then finishes dry and long.

Notes: After trying a few this is hands down my favorite Marzen.

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the last of a six-pack of this brew that I purchased from Palmer's in Columbus. After having a few over Labor day weekend, I feel I'm ready to review this beer.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a deep reddish copper, with a brilliant, filtered appearance and a one-finger head that reduces quickly to a thin white lid.

The smell is full of malt and toffee, with hints of caramel and undertones of alcohol. There's also just a whiff of smokiness; perhaps a roasted malt?

Not nearly so malty in the taste as in the aroma. Rather, the taste is more grassy, with mild hints of toffee. While the bitterness is minimal, there is a sharpness to the taste which one would normally associate with carbonation.

Light to medium bodied, there is the slightest dry aftertaste. Mostly, however, it is a smooth, easy drinking beer.

I don't have anything against this beer; however, I find it rather uninspiring. With so many excellent Oktoberfests out there, this one, for me falls the middle of the pack.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Ammber brown in color with a tan head that has medium retention. No major lacing on the glass. The taste has a good taste of carmel malts and its balanced out by a nice somewhat earthy hop bitterness. The mouthfeel is a little lighter then I wish for a fall seasonal beer but overall I liked this version of the oktoberfest. Is this my favorite or the best I've had...no but its a great standby beer good for any fall occasion

2.55/5  rDev -29.9%

A ho-hum beer if ever there was. A better-than-mild aroma of malt and oranges that might lead one to expect something tasty in the bottle, but one would be rather disappointed. The body is thin, the taste weak; the color wan. There's a nip from the carbonation but don't look for much more than that. Buy a bottle to try; don't invest in a six.

3.39/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a great deep amber color with a thick bubbly off white head.

Smell has that typical Brooklyn yeast aroma with light maltiness.

Taste is of caramel malts and light hop bitterness, good but nothing special.

Very high in carbonation.

Overall a decent beer, not the best example of the style but not too shabby either.

2.52/5  rDev -30.8%

Poured into Boulevard Pint.

Apperance-Dark amber with a soft vanilla head. About 2 fingers with pretty nice lacing.

Smell-Grainy and Grassy. Not really fitting the style.

Taste-Like the aroma, not really what I'm wanting. Grain, Grass. some subtle spices on the backend but really not doing it for me.

Mouthfeel-Light bodied, moderate carbonation.

Overall-With all the other Octoberfest/Pumpkin Beers out right now, odds are this beer won't be revisited.

3.72/5  rDev +2.2%

A - Deep Gold in color with a thin toffee colred head.

S - Has a nice toasty malt aroma with a nice caramel aroma.

T - Swee caramel malt flavor, a slight fruityness and finishes with a nice spicyness.

M - Medium bodied and hightly carbonated.

O - Another pretty decent Oktoberfest.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

12 ounce bottle from a 6-pack poured into a pint glass. New blue and white checkerboard labeling, fresh 2011 batch.

A: Clear copper/bronze colored body with a nice rich and frothy white head. Some retention is left behind in the form a spotty cap with thicker ring, and virtually no lacing aside from a few dots.

S: A very weird Belgian yeasty note comes off quite powerfully on this one - it's extremely doughy and bready. It almost reminds me of that scent you get sometimes with very beginner home brews. Some mild caramel, toffee and sweetness are towards the back end.

T: Again, this funky overly bready yeast note comes through big and last until the swallow. For me it's too much of a focus and doesn't allow the malty profile to come through as clean as I would like it. More toffee, nuts and caramel malt are here but they're not showcased until the finish and linger. It's very strange and certainly not what I think of for an Oktoberfest.

M: A bit syrupy, medium-bodied with nice and lively carbonation. It would be great but this seems a bit stickier than it should be. I would like a more crisp and clean finish for the style.

It's not a bad Oktoberfest but certainly atypical and nothing like I was expecting. I unfortunately have five more of these to drink but it's not a beer I would purchase again. There are much better examples of the style out there, even American brewed ones.

3.92/5  rDev +7.7%

A deep amber colored beer from the folks at Brooklyn. There octoberfest pours with a large foamy head but fades super fast into faint wispy trails of foam. Carbonation is about med.

Quite aromatic with rich malts and toffee.

Taste is sweet malts with some toasted malts thrown in. There also is some nuttiness and sutle spices.

Body is medium. Starts sweet finishes dry. I noticed an astringency or grittiness or just an off flavor in the tasting, no big deal.

A well made example and would be pleased to drink out somewhere.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Very happy I got to try fresh Brooklyn Oktoberfest this year, and with a new label to boot. Label is straight traditional blue and white checkerboard.

Poured 2 glasses into an English pint glass - I hope I like this. Pour produced two fingers of off white sticky head. Retention is good, with the head never quite going away. Good lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell is sweet malt, just a touch of hop spice. Smell is a softer, gentler sweetness and inviting.

Taste follows the smell. Soft sweetness with a little more hop bitterness and spice than the smell would indicate rolling into the middle, quickly fading into a sweet aftertaste. Extremely solid, would like a touch cleaner at the back.

Mouthfeel is medium, a touch syrupy with just enough carbonation.

One of the best fest beers I've had, especially from an American brewer.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

The beer pours a redish orange color.

The beer smells very much of carmally malt.

The taste starts off with a good bit of carmel and finishes relatively light with a slight nutty taste. This beer is much stronger on the front and finishes a bit on the weaker side. Was expecting a bit more on the backend.

Overall, not a bad Oktoberfest.

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle with "BB Jan 2012" printed just below the neck of the bottle.

Pours reddish-brown in color with brilliant clarity. A little redder/darker than most Oktoberfest style beers. Poured with a good amount of glugging action, but the head on this beer settled immediately! Very little in the way of head retention and/or lacing.

Very mellow aroma. Had to swirl the glass to get much of one at all. Clean with a mild sweet and malty smell.

Taste is extremely clean as well. Slight roasted malt flavor up front, but it fades rather quickly. Smooth finish with very little lingering flavor on the back end.

Medium bodied with light carbonation.

I'm a little disappointed overall. I don't LOVE Brooklyn, but I expected more from this one.

Morey's Bottom Line: This beer doesn't taste bad...problem is...it really doesn't have much taste at all! Refreshing and quaffable? Yes. But there are much better examples of this style, and I can't see myself picking one of these up again anytime soon.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

This is the second beer in a three-beer horizontal taste test of Oktoberfest offerings, with the others being Hacker-Pschorr Original Oktoberfest and Flying Dog's Dogtoberfest.

Of the three, this has the lightest color, which I'd describe as red-orange. Its head lasted for the longest amount of time. The aroma threw me off a little as I get a buttery, ale-ish smell.

There's caramel in the taste, but what differentiates this one from the others is the dryer, warmer finish. There also seems to be a mild nutty element.

It's hard to say if I prefer this beer or Hacker-Pschorr's version. I'd go for this one I'm in the mood for something dryer and more sessionable and Hacker-Pscorr's if I wanted something sweeter.

3.83/5  rDev +5.2%

New bottle with a blue label! Almost missed it! A very well made Oktoberfest. It's probably the best of the American attempts of the style. Clear amber body with decent lacing. Smells malty, creamy, strong caramel candies, toast, and mild vanilla. The flavor reminds me of Ayinger, which is the better O-fest, though Brooklyn's version is great too. It's just carbonated more and has a sharp (instead of a smooth) malt zing...two things that are slightly working against it.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

This is a nice looking beer, very clear, with a dark copper color and lots of head...good lacing too.

The smell is very malty, caramel sweetness and that typical lager aroma I can't quite define.

Taste is malty, cracker/bready and again, typical of the style and in keeping with standard german lagers.

Carbonation is good, full but still a bit crisp and refreshing.

In the end this was a decent example of the style but I certainly didn't love it. This isn't my favorite style to begin with but I tried to be fair about judging this beer. Got a few more in the fridge so I will consider it a bit further with some football this weekend.

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

It has a nice copper color and tastes of caramel, and maple, but it's not sweet like maple syrup. Good balance of flavors and some roasty notes. Nice finish. Good, but not great. About middle of the pack as far as things go for the style. You won't be disappointed, but you won't be blown away.

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Ruby amber in body with white foamy head that fades. Aroma of malt sweetness, spices: nutmeg and cinnamon, biscuit. Malty flavors of sweet biscuit, cinnamon cookie with some burnt edges, slight toffee towards the finish and an aftertaste of slight cola. Light bodied with lively carbonation. Tasty and quaffable but the malt sweetness can push me away after a while.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

A: a nice clear amber color with a thin line of bubbles on top.

S: Sweet malt aroma with a touch of hop in the background.

T: A sweet and malty/nutty flavor with bitterness throughout.

M: thin and light with low carbonation.

A: Not a bad Oktoberfest beer. Easy drinking and an ok flavor.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass

A- Deep orange color with very little head

S- Bread. Very malty smell. Kind of a bitter malt smell but its very bready nonetheless

T- Very malty just like the smell. You can also taste the bittering hops in there in the aftertaste

M- Mouthfeel is a little watery

O- I've had better Oktoberfest lagers but this one is very drinkable. The malts hang around in your palate for a while.

A: Poured a clear copper color with a good size light amber head.

S: Not a lot going on. I had to work to get some malt and some hop aromas.

T: Meh...Balanced...but boring. Not a malt forward beer as I want my Marzen to be.

M: Medium body.

O: OK...average...boring. a bit on the light side and the finish was not what I had hoped for.

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear, dark copper with two + fingers of foamy off-white head. Lots of nice lacing and a thick, foamy film.

S: Caramel and toasted bread malts. Also has a nice floral character to it as well.

T: There's a good balance here between the malt and supporting hops. Caramel, bready, peppery spices and nice bittering finish.

M: The carbonation produces a pretty full mouthfeel, but manages to stay crisp.

O: Oktoberfests aren't typically the first style I reach for, but this is pretty good. I do prefer this more balanced take on the style over the malt dominate competition. Probably won't reach for this again, but that's not a condemnation of this beer; just my indifference toward the style.

Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer from Brooklyn Brewery