Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer - Brooklyn Brewery

New York, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

Ruby amber in body with white foamy head that fades. Aroma of malt sweetness, spices: nutmeg and cinnamon, biscuit. Malty flavors of sweet biscuit, cinnamon cookie with some burnt edges, slight toffee towards the finish and an aftertaste of slight cola. Light bodied with lively carbonation. Tasty and quaffable but the malt sweetness can push me away after a while.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

A: a nice clear amber color with a thin line of bubbles on top.

S: Sweet malt aroma with a touch of hop in the background.

T: A sweet and malty/nutty flavor with bitterness throughout.

M: thin and light with low carbonation.

A: Not a bad Oktoberfest beer. Easy drinking and an ok flavor.

3.82/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass

A- Deep orange color with very little head

S- Bread. Very malty smell. Kind of a bitter malt smell but its very bready nonetheless

T- Very malty just like the smell. You can also taste the bittering hops in there in the aftertaste

M- Mouthfeel is a little watery

O- I've had better Oktoberfest lagers but this one is very drinkable. The malts hang around in your palate for a while.

A: Poured a clear copper color with a good size light amber head.

S: Not a lot going on. I had to work to get some malt and some hop aromas.

T: Meh...Balanced...but boring. Not a malt forward beer as I want my Marzen to be.

M: Medium body.

O: OK...average...boring. a bit on the light side and the finish was not what I had hoped for.

3.61/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a clear, dark copper with two + fingers of foamy off-white head. Lots of nice lacing and a thick, foamy film.

S: Caramel and toasted bread malts. Also has a nice floral character to it as well.

T: There's a good balance here between the malt and supporting hops. Caramel, bready, peppery spices and nice bittering finish.

M: The carbonation produces a pretty full mouthfeel, but manages to stay crisp.

O: Oktoberfests aren't typically the first style I reach for, but this is pretty good. I do prefer this more balanced take on the style over the malt dominate competition. Probably won't reach for this again, but that's not a condemnation of this beer; just my indifference toward the style.

3.09/5  rDev -15.1%

A-Pours a dark copper color with two and a half fingers of off-white, dense head.

S-Smells of spicy, herbal hops with quite of bit of dark chocolate and some caramel.

T-To my buds, this one tastes more like a robust porter than an Oktoberfest with the chocolate/roasted malt notes and herbal hop character.

M-The mouthfeel also feels like that of a nice porter with a medium body, with low carbonation and a drying character on the finish.

D-Very confused by this one; everything about this beer, besides color, screams porter to me, not Marzen. I was expecting a more typical Marzen beer with toasty and caramelly malt forward beer with some nice noble hops. This is a nice beer, but it is not what I expect from a Marzen.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Fall isn't quite here yet but the Oktoberfest brew is...And a lil local brewery by the name of Brooklyn Brewery has a lil rendition. Into a pint glass this pours a clear copper under an off white head. Aroma is a nice mix of toasted dark bready malt with traces of deep caramel and earthy herbal hop. Feel on the palate is somewhat mineral watery with an underlying bready flavored crisp malt. Huh, I pick up on a slight sunflower seed hint in the finish. Cheers to Fall!

3.98/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours an appealing medium copper with great clarity that shows off the lively carbonation. Good two-finger head that's rather velvet-like and exhibits fantastic retention. Lacing is lacking, however. The nose is heavy on the earthy malts, with a warm caramel-like sweetness also apparent. Very mild roasted notes as well. There is also a very slight herbal/lemon character from (I'm guessing) the hops. Initial taste is well-roasted and somewhat bitter, before becoming progressively sweeter. Some faint spiciness. Overall very well balanced. Not cloying at all and very smooth, especially on the finish. The body is a little shy of medium, but certainly adds to the drinkability.

Hallelujah! My first experience with an Oktoberfest beer was last year with Sam Adams' take. I absolutely hated it and was a little worried that I was going have to write-off the entire style, but yesterday I got up the courage to give this one a shot and there's no doubt that I'm happy I did. Smooth and roasted without being too malty or sweet, this beer was delicious and a great primer for the months to come.

EDIT: As this beer warmed, I realized that it was a little weaker in body than I liked (the flavors kind of bottom out and disappear), so I knocked .5 off the mouthfeel and overall.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

A- light brown with a one inch cap of head.

S- not getting the light toasty or malty aroma I hoped for. Instead, this is grainy and slightly vegetal.

T- the taste is much better. Toasty malts and grains, sweet nuttiness, some hints of fruit. It sits on the palate very nicely, leaving a toast like after taste.

O- very nice oktoberfest, I really like a beer like this watching football.

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

It's pretty unusual for me to like a martzen. I am trying to be a bigger fan of these. This one seems to have all the right stuff, but it's a little light on the malt taste. Maybe that's why it works for me.

The smell includes the typical Brooklyn water smell - not bad, but it should not be as discernable as it is.

There is no lacing, but the color and clarity are nice.

It's a bit dark tasting like some other Brooklyn's, but I like it (and it's a Martzen, not my favorite style).

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Nice clarity in an mahogoney colored beer with a sizeable head off a medium pour. Good retention and stickage. Smells nice with a lot of caramel and barley malt coming through. A touch of some lightly roasted malts as well. A hint of skunkweed? Maybe but not bad.

Medium to high carbonation leading to a spritzy but slightly creamy mouthfeel. Very malty in the form of caramel and barley, and a touch of balancing citrus hops that give it an almost tangy taste. Slight touch of lightly roasted malts and tobacco leaves. Maybe a touch too citrusy the more I drink of it actually. It's interesting, but not necessarily in an amazing way. Maybe something's just a tad off here, but still a solid brew and a nice beer to nurse and let warm up on a chilly night.

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

I was looking forward to this one. It may be early for the Oktoberfest beers, but while we have them I intend on enjoying them.

This one poured a brilliant clear light beer with a good size light amber head.

The aroma was what I expected. European in style and refreshing.

The taste was clear and very refreshing. Its what I expected and hoped for. There was a nice blend of hops and some tropical fruit.

Bottom line, I enjoyed this beer, but for me it was a bit on the light side and the finish was not what I had hoped for

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours a nice amber with an almost white head that stays around until the last sip and leaves beautiful lacing on the glass.

Toasty and caramel malt sweetness up front, very smooth mouthfeel, medium body, light to moderate carbonation. Finishes more dry. The hops are in the background playing a supporting role to the malt (the star of the show here).

Maybe it's partially because this is my first truly seasonal oktoberfest this year (been drinking Beck's Oktoberfest since June, which I believe may be year-round), or maybe it's just that good.

Either way, I gotta give it high marks. I won't complain about this one showing up on shelves in mid-August.

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%

A-Clear amber, carbonated, one finger head.

S-Malty sweetness with some spices in there as well.

T-Large malt bill, with some bitterness. The spices are noticeable.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation here as in the appearance.

O-Haven't had that many Oktoberfest beers but so far this one is the best. It didn't have same boring malts has previous the spices came through and made this one tasty. Most likely will have an Oktoberfest tasting and will compare then.

3.75/5  rDev +3%

I feel awkward drinking these styles in August but if it's out now I know it is fresh. Copper tinted brown with over big fluffy head. Aroma is sweet, slightly toasty, malts. Flavor has that smooth and crisp lager body with a large malty sweetness. Mild spicy hop finish but it doesn't leave a bitter finish. One smooth drinking Oktoberfest.

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

A: A rough pour yields two fingers of pilllowy off-white foam atop a clear, deep russet body. Strong retention and plenty of lace. Attractive beer, albeit a trifle dark for the style.

S: Straightforward and enjoyable: nuttiness, malts, and some autumnal leafy hops. Solid O-fest aroma.

T: Definitely on the sweet side, with tons of stone fruits, marzipan and general nuttiness leading in to a biscuity malt body and finally some earthy, lightly bitter hops. Quite nice, if a bit fruitier than I'd expect.

M: Creamy, lively medium body; highly carbonated. Perhaps a bit over the top, but enjoyable.

O: Tasty lager. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it holds up side-by-side with some other paragons of the style.

Cheers!

3.53/5  rDev -3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It's that time of year again, the time I look forward to for cooler temps. NFL, NHL, and Fall beers.

Appearance: Amber with a decent head.

Aroma: Malts, caramel, bread, and some spices.

Taste: On par with the aroma. This take on a European classic is crisp, malty, bready, and has some caramels and faint hops in the end.

Overall: I love Oktoberfest beers and this is a decent American take on a German classic. It has a nice easy-drinking taste, but is not special by any means. A session beer for sure. Cheers!!

3.86/5  rDev +6%

2011 Oktoberfest, first one I've seen on the shelf. Has a new label which I think is an improvement.

A: Burnt orange color, finger and half of almond colored head that slowly dissipated. Plenty of carbonation

S: Malty caramel notes with toasted biscuits hints. Has almost a touch of Brandy/Cognac hidden in there.

T: Sweet/Malty caramel, biscuits. Basically the aromas come through the flavors. A little bit of hops on the finish balance the beer. It has a nutty flavor to it.

M: A little thin feeling at first, for how much malt flavor is there, but it’s really easy to drink. Not too heavy, but coats my mouth well.

O: Really enjoyable beer. Great for the end of summer/beginning of fall because its full of flavor, but not too heavy for the hot August/September days. Oktoberfest beers are always a style I look forward to releasing.

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

Total Wine had this on sale for a $1. I was worried it'd be bad after a year, but with all the crappy summer brews still on the shelf and me in desperate need of something else $1 was a safe gamble.

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a reddish-brown amber with a 1/4" of head that quickly fades to nothing. Smells malty and a little fruity. Taste is a rich malt character with a fruit sweetness in the finish maybe apples. Mouthfeel is excellent; light to medium bodied, well carbonated and very refreshing.

This beer seems to have lasted a year. And it's very refreshing. There's no reason we can't have summer beers with this much taste and character. I'm really looking forward to all the Oktoberfest beers in the coming months.

3.11/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured out with a nice looking amber color, The head was tan and fizzy. There wasn't much lacing at all. The smell was decent with some sweet malts and a touch of caramel and spice. The taste was a little weak, I expected it to be a little better coming from Brooklyn Brewing. The mouthfeel wasn't too bad but overall this brew is just about average.

2.5/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Bottle into Grolsch pint glass in low altitude Cork, Ireland. Reviewed live. Acquired at Abbott Alehouse off-license in Cork City.

A: Three finger head of fair cream, nice thickness, and good retention. Semi-transparent copper colour.

Sm: Nutty hops. A bit of cream, but it's hidden in the back. Not particularly pleasant.

T: Nutty in the front and malty, with a bit of unwelcome chocolate somewhere in the middle, getting stronger until the climax. Very poorly balanced to the point of almost being thrown together. It's all over the place for an Oktoberfest beer, and doesn't satisfy the demands of the style. The malt is poorly handled, not blending well alongside the nuttiness.

Mf: Silky but nicely coarse. Wet. No cream, but the chocolate does create a cream-mimetic effect in terms of feel.

Dr: Very cheap by Irish standards. Hides its average ABV decently well. Nothing special, particularly for the style.

---

Impressions from a bottle in Austin, Texas 09/07/13:

Sm: Crisp clean barley, munich malts, pils malts. Minimal hopping is floral in character. Somewhat grainy. No yeast/alcohol is detectable. Mild in strength.

T: Crisp and clean. Barley, munich malt, pils malt. Light graininess. Minimal floral hopping. Okay balance, but not much complexity or subtlety. Okay build for the style; quite average. I'm not sure how I was getting chocolate notes in my initial review. I do get a light nuttiness that's unexpected.

Average depth, duration, and intensity of flavour. No alcohol or yeast character comes through.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some biting overcarbonation. Too thick for the lack of diversity of flavour. Not oily, gushed, harsh, or boozy. Suits the flavour profile in a general sense.

Dr: Downable but quite bland and boring. I wouldn't get it again, but it's alright. A decent festbier from Brooklyn. Hides its ABV fairly well.

C-

4.03/5  rDev +10.7%

Reviewed on 4-15-11
Reviewed cold from a bottle to a glass

A – Poured a one finger of foam, clear copper amber color. Good amount of carbonation present, decent lacing ring

S – Roasted malts, caramel with a slight hop aroma lingering

T/M – Medium bodied, malty with caramel. Slight hop bitterness at the back end

D – Pretty drinkable Oktober. Malty and not overly sweet, easy drinker that I could have more than one. I recommend trying it at least once

3.36/5  rDev -7.7%

The pour was nothing terribly crazy, a nice amber color with a great clarity fills the glass. Nice streams of bubbles that rippled up toward the surface gave it a good bit of depth and created a nice moderate to medium capping of white that clung to the sides for a little while before letting itself go. Muted bready malts. Hints of light grain and a touch of some light spice, but everything was too light and muted for me. Not enough in the way of herbal hoppiness or depth to keep me interested. Same could be said as I took the first sip, while not really being bad in any way, it was just rather uninteresting. Bready grains, hints of something musky, and a touch of light pine maybe, but very muted. Smooth and even taste with a clean and concise finish. Drinkable, but most anything can be, I found myself bored halfway though the glass.

Overall it just really needed a little bit more for me to really get a grip of this one. I thought it was ok, but to be honest just needed more to finish it off.

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

When pouring this beer, you notice that the beer is Dark Amber in color and has a lingering off white head.

When smelling the beer you're presented with a medium malt aroma

When tasting this oktoberfest, the beer is pretty smooth with a slight malty taste. Though I found it not to be as strong in the malt category and overall aftertaste as most oktoberfests that I've encountered.

This beer had a slight mouthfeel with not much "punch"

I found this beer to be drinkable and a very easy drinker.

Overall I enjoyed this beer, though wouldn't actively seek it out as there are better Oktoberfests available, but was offered I would take one.

Poured from 12oz bottle into dimpled mug. Clear amber with a tiny off-white head, lively one. Aroma of Vienna malts, noble hops, grains and mild nuttiness. Taste is somewhat bland with caramel, toasted Munich malts, light toffee. Mostly clean finish and a touch of astringency.

Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer from Brooklyn Brewery