Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer - Brooklyn Brewery

New York, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,533 | Reviews: 741
2.91/5  rDev -20.1%

A: Copper in color. Poured with a good head. Clear
S: Malty with slight biscuit
T: Initial round taste that quickly disappated and finished with a mildly bitter aftertaste. Not as malty as I'd expect
M: Coating, good
D: Just didn't do it for me. Can't put my finger on it

I prefer Paulner's version this year.

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into lager glass.
Appearance was dark amber, almost like organic Apple juice. Carbonation bubbles were present and visible. 1 1/2 finger head that lasted for the better part of four minutes.

The aroma was of a typical Octoberfest beer; malt, German hops, bready yeast etc.

The taste however was a bit disappointing. It has a subtle metallic taste that's annoying. Roasted malts are present, so is the taste of the bready yeast. But then it's sort of flat from then on. It tasted like a flat version of Sam Adams Octoberfest beer.

Mouth feel was flat. Don't get me wrong, the carbonation bubbles were there prickling the tongue, but there was no "chew" to this beer.

There really isn't much to say about this beer other than it didn't do much for me. It had no character that made me want to buy it again. The flavor profile left a lot to be desired. There are much better Marzen style beers out there. You won't be missing much by skipping out on this one.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

12 ounce bottle from a 6-pack poured into a pint glass. New blue and white checkerboard labeling, fresh 2011 batch.

A: Clear copper/bronze colored body with a nice rich and frothy white head. Some retention is left behind in the form a spotty cap with thicker ring, and virtually no lacing aside from a few dots.

S: A very weird Belgian yeasty note comes off quite powerfully on this one - it's extremely doughy and bready. It almost reminds me of that scent you get sometimes with very beginner home brews. Some mild caramel, toffee and sweetness are towards the back end.

T: Again, this funky overly bready yeast note comes through big and last until the swallow. For me it's too much of a focus and doesn't allow the malty profile to come through as clean as I would like it. More toffee, nuts and caramel malt are here but they're not showcased until the finish and linger. It's very strange and certainly not what I think of for an Oktoberfest.

M: A bit syrupy, medium-bodied with nice and lively carbonation. It would be great but this seems a bit stickier than it should be. I would like a more crisp and clean finish for the style.

It's not a bad Oktoberfest but certainly atypical and nothing like I was expecting. I unfortunately have five more of these to drink but it's not a beer I would purchase again. There are much better examples of the style out there, even American brewed ones.

2.96/5  rDev -18.7%

Well, the new 2004 Oktoberfest is definitely different than the last two. Had this at the brewery premiere on 9/10/04.

Weird smell, more like an IPA than a Marzen, didn't really like the smell. Looked like the color of pine sap (a really cool, translucent amber.) Good carbonation, decent head.

Taste was also kind of bizzare ("smell is a big part of taste" is proven here.) Tastes like a spiced ale with pine nuts, filtered through a grassy knoll. Has a snappy hoppiness but kind of a thin, watery mouthfeel. Has the body of a summer beer, just too weird for me really to give it a thumbs-up, will have to go back for a second one to confirm.

2.97/5  rDev -18.4%

I poured this 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams pint glass.

A: slightly hazy, orange-amber, 1-finger cream-colored head very quickly falls into nothing, lacing virtually non-existent.

S: earthy, slightly funky, faint malty aroma, floral yeast.

T: very crisp, the malt is dry, the earthiness is accompanied by a more herbal hop character in the taste than the floral hops as advertised in the nose. The finish is grassy. Too crisp, not enough sweetness, no depth of flavors.

M: light bodied, even watery, overly carbonated, the finish is very dry.

D: this might be better with food. This beer is not nasty, but fails to impress on any level.

Wish I had my stein for this one.

A: Good oktoberfest amber color. Looks like most I have seen but not as much head and no lacing. This brew loses points here but this isn't a big deal.

S: Musty wet grains, caramel, malt sweetness and some light funk. I might say the must and funk go hand in hand with giving it a slight brett like smell. I do not remember this from other oktoberfests I have had. It could just be me though.

T: Some caramel and malt with earthy hops in the back. A bit of graininess too. Not too much more in here.

M: A little thin but good carbonation.

D: This is an okay beer. I am not very impressed and wish I had just gone with the SA octoberfest.

Clear ark amber pour with a small off-white head. Light toasted aroma with some grain and yeast. Taste is grainy with some spicy and earthy hops also present. Not much sweetness. Medium body also has a good yeast presence. Finishes crisp.

Poured from 12oz bottle into dimpled mug. Clear amber with a tiny off-white head, lively one. Aroma of Vienna malts, noble hops, grains and mild nuttiness. Taste is somewhat bland with caramel, toasted Munich malts, light toffee. Mostly clean finish and a touch of astringency.

A: Poured a clear copper color with a good size light amber head.

S: Not a lot going on. I had to work to get some malt and some hop aromas.

T: Meh...Balanced...but boring. Not a malt forward beer as I want my Marzen to be.

M: Medium body.

O: OK...average...boring. a bit on the light side and the finish was not what I had hoped for.

The colour is amber; the beige head is two fingers thick. Some lacing occurs.

The smell is nutty and somewhat sweet with notes of cream, some roasted malt and a light fruity touch. Quite anonymous, I think.

The taste is at first fresh and fruity with a passing bitterness. Soft sweet malt, some notes of matured apples, wheat flour, apricots and a hint of apricots. Almost no bitterness, but some light metallic notes in the aftertaste.

The carbonation is medium strong; the liquid is light to medium smooth.

Reminds more of an average Vienna lager than a Märzen. A disappointment.

Amber colored beer that has a head that fades and remains about a quarter of an inch.Taste and aroma are both slightly caramel.I would drink again although I doubt I would pay for it.It doesn't really get more average than this.Not horrible or great,just kinda run of the mill.

From a bottle into an imperial pint glass (tasted side-by-side with Millstream and Summit Ofests)

A: dark copper, massive head, leaving the best lacing.
S: I'm missing something. Slight biscuity sweetness, and a little tart/sour apple cider.
T: A little light bready sweetness, some vinous apple, twangy herbal hops.
M: Light to Medium, a faint buzz toward the back.

Overall: On its own, it was decent. In comparison, this was far and away the least pleasing of the three I was tasting. The herbal and apple notes and lack of richer sweeter bready malt left me wanting quite a bit.

Brooklyn does many beers very well but this is probably not one of their best. Don't get me wrong, it is a decent Oktoberfest but there are better out there.
Can't really put my finger on what it is that makes it less than stellar but opinions are like a**holes. everyone has one.

A- nice bone white head that didn't last too long. Minimal lacing. Clear, amber, copper.

S- clean, malty, bready.

T- bitter, spicy (ginger), caramel, malt.

M- medium to full body. Very crisp.

O- good, not great. Nothing offensive, but have had better Marzens. Worth a try, but wouldn't have again.

Cheers!

12oz bottle purchased from Clarendon Wines in Boston. Pours a clear, rich copper with a bit of head. Aroma is a bit indistinct. Taste follows - fairly indistinct. Some malts, not a lot of hops. Nothing standing out in this one to make me want to buy it again. Yawn.

A: crystal clear; bronze colored; 1 finger pillowy khaki head that receded to a thin ring; a little lacing, but not much;

S: muted; a little sweet;

T: toffee, yeast, and malt; a little bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied - maybe a little thinner; moderate carbonation;

O: a little light on both aroma and flavor for me;

3.01/5  rDev -17.3%

I'm still looking for a really good Oktoberfest/Märzen style brew. Most of the ones I've had are decent, but nothing special (Ayinger's version was the closest an O-Fest came to "wowing" me). I thought Brooklyn was going to be the one to truly open my eyes, but in the end the search continues...

Brooklyn's Oktoberfest pours a very nice reddish orange color with a one-finger foam which lasts for under a minute and leaves minimal lacing. The aroma was weak and unspectacular. Some caramel malts and some citric hops were detectable in limited quantities. The mouthfeel was crisp and moderately carbonated, but nothing memorable. In the flavor, the sweet caramel malts were definitely there, and a pronounced nuttiness was present thoughout the entire brew. Sounds nice, but the flavors didn't end up being too assertive (it almost seemed watery to me, but that's being harsh). There is a decent citric hop bitterness and dryness in the finish, which continues into the aftertaste. No alcoholic warmth to be found in this one.

A very average Oktoberfestbier. This is certainly drinkable, but it isn't somthing I'd really go out of my way to hunt down. Might be good with a pretzel and some spaetzle.

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Bottle poured into a pint glass.

I've tried a lot of Oktoberfest beers this season. I was excited to pick this one up. Overall, this has been my least favorite. I much preferred Karbach's, Saint Arnold's, Left Hand Brewing's and a couple of others.

This one seemed a bit more bitter than the others and just more generic in the flavor department.

Not a bad beer, just not great. My favorite so far is Karbachtoberfest from Karbach in Houston.

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Deep amber color with head that dissipates to sticky lace.

A little of the German Lager quality to the nose. Picking up on typical German aromas. Kind of reminiscent of Hacker Pschorr.

You can taste the malts and hops. This is a very light session style beer.

It's drinkable, with a watery consistency. It's not a bad brew, but it isn't terribly interesting. It would go well with brat, but the mustard may get in the way of the beer.

3.04/5  rDev -16.5%

The smell of this beer right out of the bottle is not good; I'm detecting a metalic, musty, maltish tone. The smell improves to a flattish soda with a tin can finish. The beer pours a nice amber, modest carbonation, some head, lacing, and retention. The beer is a bit watery and this another mark against it. As for taste, there is an almond, caramel, metallic taste that isn't bad, but as the carbonation thins, I'm getting too much flat soda notes. There is the typical nutty malts characteristic of the style, and considering I just had a Wachusett Octoberfest that had no resemblance to the name, this one at least is representative of the style, it's just not all that impressive. The finish and aftertaste are good, and a little on the dryish side.

3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours an amber color with a small white head which dies.

Smell is malty, slightly toasted, slightly bready.

Taste is sweet, malty and slightly fruity.

Mouthfeel is bit thin, slightly watery, medium carbonated.

Drinkable, but not as good as I hoped for. Both Left Hand and Samuel Adams is better this year...

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance: Very thick amber lager. I definitely didn't expect that. It is definitely the darkest Märzen I've seen. Good lacing. Looks like an excellent session.

Smell: Faint caramel and mineral water. This needs more hops to be a good Oktoberfest for me.

Taste/Mouthfeel: There's really no distinct flavor here. Not much more than caramel and a slight hint of ambiguous fruit. It's also average in the mouthfeel department. Ok carbonation and ok smoothness.

Overall Drinkability: Looks nice, but misses the mark everywhere else.

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%

Poured this Oktoberfest from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a golden orangish color, produced an average white head, nice retention, and it left an average amount of lacing on the glass.The aroma of the ale consisted of toasted malt and a slight grassy hop note. Medium in body, the brew was not very complex, had some malted grain base, caramel and some grassy hops. Overall, nicely balanced- not what I would consider an authentic Oktoberfest but it is a nice example, decent session beer.

a

3.06/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Poured into pint glass to show a burnt orange and red accent color, gentle finger plus white head with minimal lacing and a small cap.

S: The nose was very small on this one with not much malt presence detectable. You get whiffs of yeast but for the most part the aroma is sublte.

T: The flavor makes me think that Garrett has not looked at what the boys are doing up in the Utica plant. The overall body is quite week and reminded me of a Dos Equis or a Vienna style lager rather than a Marzen. Swirls of yeast and a mineral theme mixed around but nothing that stands out.

M: Very thin and moving towards the watery style. I normally only pick up the limited batches from Brooklyn and expect this Oktoberfest is on a macro style for a larger audience. Not impressed at all.

3.08/5  rDev -15.4%

A: Pours a clear reddish/copper color. A small bubbly white head forms and recedes in a second. Very little lace is left behind.
S: Sweet caramel malt, bread, yeast, and some spice.
T: Sweet malt and bread. A metallic mineral flavor as well.
M/D: Very light, thin and watery. Decent carbonation. Not hard to drink. I can session a few of these if the situation calls for it.

Not a bad Oktoberfest. Not my favorite, and kind of bland. Inoffensive, but an easy drinker.

Brooklyn Oktoberfest Beer from Brooklyn Brewery