1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,193 | Reviews: 2,620 | Show All Ratings:
TXHops

From www.brooklynbrewery.com:
"Malts: two-row English Malt, Wheat Malt, Chocolate Malt, Black Malt, Black Barley, Roasted Barley
Hops: East Kent Goldings, Cascade, Willamette
Alcohol: 8.5% by volume
Original Gravity: 21.7 degrees Plato; 1087
Bitterness: 70 IBUs"

The best Imperial I've had to date. After I've tried a few more that I can't currently get my hands on (like Stone), I'll revisit this review and make sure I didn't get overwhelmed. For a full account of my opinions of the beer, check out my article on the mini-Imperial Stout Challenge...

01-03-2003 21:16:19 | More by TXHops
Porkfist

My first Imperial stout and....My God....This was a increadable beer....
03-04
Apprearance: Beautiful, deep brown almost black with a brown head.
Smell: Roasted malts, Chocolate
Taste: Alot of people have claimed this was one extremly bitter beer, and I have no idea where that comes from. Had some nice bite to it, but the roasted/chocolate taste stood out the most for me
Mouthfeel: Nice, thick body, almost velvety
Drinkability:If you haven't guessed it yet, I would kill for this beer. Can't wait to make a trip out to Croxley's and taste it on Tap. I am in love...

05-21-2004 03:37:11 | More by Porkfist
jaluria

Connecticut

Poured a viscous, night-black color with a soft and dissipating mocha-colored head that leaves behind plenty of lacing. The surface is racked with large bubbles and the carbonation seems low-medium. I smell loads of mocha, nuts, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, smoke, and burnt wood. The taste resembles the aromas and is great with a thick, bready aftertaste. Full-bodied and complex but all the elements seem to come together and compliment one another. Hints of smoke and burnt wood add great depth and balance the sweetness of the beer. Chocolate ice cream with a touch of syrup is how this feels in my mouth; smooth and creamy. Warming alcohol sensation after a few sips with a semi-dry finish. Overall, this beer is sheer perfection; everything I could want in a RIS...just amazing! Great with a chocolate or cream based dessert or by itself in the winter months.

10-21-2005 15:06:30 | More by jaluria
nortmand

Pours black, with a dark brown, fluffy head.

Huge amounts of roast and chocolate in the nose. Ripe fruits and burnt coffe. Also some chocolate orange aromas there. Incredible.

Sweet milky chocolate up front. Somewhat sweet and roasty in the middle, with an emphasis on dark chocolate and ripe bananas. Leaves a perfectly balancing bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Huge body, and very delicious. Easily the best I've had from Brooklyn, very drinkable.

11-06-2006 22:39:31 | More by nortmand
steelcutoats

This is by far my most favorite stout of all time. I remember the first night I tried it, it was love at first sip. I have since gone through two cases of it this winter and am cellaring a 6 pack for enjoyment and comparison next season.

Truly an epic beer to behold. It poured into my RIEDEL crystal snifter a perfect 10 waiting for tasting. There was a thick mocha head that slowly dissolved. The nose was very complex with notes of coffee, chocolate and toffee. The taste was outstanding, not overpowering, but a sublime chocolate and malty mix. Often when I tell people about this beer I try to compare to eating a handful of chocolate covered espresso beans. It's just that damn good. I want to try and mix his stout with a cherry or raspberry lambic and see how it turns out.

After it's all said and done, I would recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try a stout but is too afraid too. It is not overpowering at 10.6 % ABV, but a very mellow and warming liquid, worthy of a nightcap. Definitely a keeper!

02-15-2008 00:27:47 | More by steelcutoats
swingdjted

Words alone cannot describe this beer. You must drink it to understand. This is my favorite beer by which all other beers are compared. I have tasted maybe 150-200 different beers, but although some come close, none have matched what I want in a beer more than this.

Vague tasting notes? Yes, but although I don't have the vocabulary necessary to give a detailed review, I can say it honestly is a great brew.

11-17-2008 06:31:20 | More by swingdjted
roopy40

Rhode Island

Appearance - This baby pours jet black in color and leaves a frothy white cumulus cloudscape. The bubbles in the head are like tiny beads. I thought of the scrubbing bubbles from the Dow commercial and happy little bubbles dancing around my glass. The lacing is sticky and leaves rings like the circles of the inside of a tree trunk all the way down the glass.

Smell - Count Chocula, java notes and dark roasted malt.

Taste - Smooth chocolate, coffee flavors, a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel - Shimmering, slippery, delicious chocolate with a warming, sweet finish. Carbonation is just right. Body is bold, but not overly.

Drinkability - One of the best I've ever had. Could possibly use more body and smoothness, but at 10% ABV and for the price, this is an unbeatable RIS.

Overall - I love this beer and purchase it regularly. I don't think there is any issue with the ABV and there being too much alcohol in the taste. I will continue to drink this wonderful chocolate excursion and suggest it to others.

01-23-2009 16:01:08 | More by roopy40
danielplainview

Kentucky

Appearance - motor oil pitch black. Nice tan head.

Smell - dark chocolate. a bit of raisin as well. unique and complex as you would want from the style.

Taste - dark chocolate taste and roasted coffee with slight caramel and dark fruit again that might be my favorite part of this beer) . Roasted malt up front then ends with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and silky on the palate, with that nice hop bite at the end. Nice hangtime that really lets some of the complex flavors come through on the palate.

Drinkability - Drinkability is far, far too good for a beer of this weight and Alcohol content. I am partial to the style and this is my favorite example. CHEERS!

11-02-2010 22:25:47 | More by danielplainview
DiverJon

A: Pours black as night with a thin head. Exactly like this style should
S: Chocolate with alcohol background. Slightly sweet but not overpowering with a little coffee in the back.
T: Very full and intense but smooth at the same time. Sip slow. Definite chocolate with the alcohol apparent but it does not overpower the malt.
M: Very full and warm. Go slow with this one as it will overpower you. Serve cellar temp not cold to get the most of the flavor.
O: One of the finest Imperial Stouts on the market. Everything about this is near perfect. Buy a case and set some back to try every 2 or 3 months. When a brewmaster is getting ready to try an Imperial Stout he/she should have one of these to see what they should aim for. Stunning.

07-16-2012 01:01:52 | More by DiverJon
BurgeoningBrewhead

Poured into snifter. Pours oily jet black with a thick brown head that sticks around. Smells of bourbon, coffee and chocolate...this beer smells better than some taste. The smell after a bit changes into some standard stout roasted malt and yeast. Head leaves a lot of lacing for a stout, beautiful. Taste is glorious; creamy and full mouthfeel, with sweet caramel, coffee and chocolate swirling around with dark roasted malts. Finish is a bit boozy but it works for such a big beer. This was my first stout, and I'd die happy if it were my last.

07-25-2012 04:17:25 | More by BurgeoningBrewhead
Jarod

4.97/5  rDev +19.8%

This beer poured into the glass black, no light penetrated the glass. Well carbonated and had to wait a few minutes until the head settled to the top. The head was a thick creamy dark beige brown color and lasted quite a long time. The aroma was of chocolate, chocolate, coffee, raisins, alcohol and some roasted chocolate. The taste was nice and creamy. Flavors of chocolate and coffee seemed to dance together throughout the mouthful, but I did notice that chocolate seemed to lead. I also noticed that during the ballet in my mouth the raisins and alcohol would try to cut in on the other two dancing and seemed to get in a step or two, first raisins, then alcohol, then raisins again before the other would ask for there partner back. At the end alcohol seemed to get the last dance with the chocolate. I personally loved this limited edition 02-03 beer. I am on the hunt for a few more to keep and cellar can I can imagine that this beer can only get better with time.

01-10-2003 07:18:50 | More by Jarod
Dakotablue

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow! I have had Brooklyn's offerings for the past 4 years available down here in Chapel Hill, but I had to sneak this one over the state border because of our 6% cap.

(2004-2005 offering) One of the strongest initial hits of aroma that I have ever encountered with any beer - heavy chocolate and burnt malt smell. Enough to make my mouth salivate. It is a very dark black color, no chance of seeing through this one. The head retention is about a 1/2 inch for a minute or two before slowly dissolving (dark brown head). The taste is a heavy espresso chocolate taste with undertones of noticable hops. The alcohol is well hidden for the first few seconds, but then rears its head on your palate. Leaves a bit of a dry mouthfeel, due what I believe largely the carbonation and the amount of tannins in the beer. Would LOVE to see this as a NITRO. I could drink this all night - definitely a top ten to 20 beer. Cheers to Brooklyn Brewery.

Now if I could actually get this at the store down here instead of making a 6 hour round trip to Virginia. You would think that NC would be a bit more lenient...

02-05-2005 02:18:07 | More by Dakotablue
orfeu

New Mexico

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Winter '05-'06 bottling. Black sludge with burnt sugar tan froth, rocky and thick. Phenomenal webbed sheets of lacing. Aroma of chocolate mousse spiked with bourbon, sugared espresso with vanilla whipped cream. Oil slick texture with medium body. Incredible alcohol-infused mocha flavor, all chocolate and coffee ice cream booziness. It's nearly impossible to believe that there is no actual chocolate in this stuff. Tongue-numbing buzz. Shocking drinkability for the sheer size of the flavor profile and showy alcohol presence. The paradigm of class -- I'm in awe.

02-13-2006 05:27:07 | More by orfeu
generallee

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Snifter glass. The bottle reads "Limited Bottling - Winter 09-10" and I sampled it on 11-4-2009.

Appearance: The color is jet black and definitely opaque. It raises a tall tan head that is thick, creamy and hangs on very well. It slowly fades down to a tight cap of foam that makes lots of splotchy lacing on the glass.

Smell: For a big 10% beer there is very little suggestion of its alcoholic strength. I get more roasted barley and grain brown sugar and molasses. Light notes of alcohol just seek into the background.

Taste/Palate: I'm hit with a big rich sweetness up front with notes caramel, brown sugar and molasses. Next comes gooey dark bitter chocolate brownies and deep roasted barley and grain notes. Solid herbal/leafy hops finishes thing of along with a gentle warming alcohol. The palate has a good full body with a slick texture and just enough carbonation to keep things from getting cloying or to syrupy.

Notes: This is a truly outstanding BIG beer. I wish I had some really good plain New York cheese cake with fresh red raspberries to pair with this wonderful beer. Well, for tonight this beer is its own dessert.

11-05-2009 00:42:34 | More by generallee
brutusmuktuk

4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured from a bottle with a jet black color and a very small, quickly dissipating tan head. Smells of chocolate, malts, and oaky bourbon. Taste is sweet dark chocolate, fruits, malts, and some bourbon. Has a full body feel and goes down smooth. This is an amazingly delicious beer.

03-10-2014 20:45:26 | More by brutusmuktuk
MNishCT77

District of Columbia

4.94/5  rDev +19%

12 oz. bottle 12-13 vintage purchased in the greater Washington D.C. area (Cleveland Park Wines and Liquors representin'!) several months ago, poured into a Weyerbacher tulip glass, drank 2/15/13 over ~one hour.

A: 4.75- inky-black coloration, unfiltered haziness swallowing the light; slight lacing around the glass, imperceptible alcohol legs

S: 4.75 - roasted almost burnt coffee, bitter chocolate, slight toffee and caramel undertones, moderate alcohol on the nose

T: 5 - coffee bitterness on the anterior tongue opens the taste buds for a surprising bite of Cascade hop grapefruit, lots of chocolate and caramel in the swallow with lingering aftertaste; hidden alcohol with warming notes throughout the chest

M: 5 - full chewy body, feels like a mouthful of dark chocolate with roasted coffee!

O: 5: as a full disclosure, Brooklyn's BCS is my favorite RIS on the market; it also holds sentimental value for me as one of the first beers that addicted me to craft beer and sparked an interest in homebrewing (I brew a clone of it each year now); the chocolate and coffee aroma and taste are unparalleled with just enough hop flavor/aroma for balancing, maybe the best use of Cascade hops in a non-American IPA/DIPA; I'll continue to be cellaring and eagerly anticipating my vertical tasting in 5-10 years. Cheers, Garrett Oliver and Co.!

02-16-2013 03:11:43 | More by MNishCT77
GClarkage

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

08/11/05- Received bottles in trade from Connecticutpoet and Jetsbeer.

Presentation- 12oz bottle, 2004-05 release. Poured into a random pint glass.

Appearance- Super black pour, chocolate colored dirty brown 1/2 inch head and nice lacing. Pours out like goop.

Smell- Ranks right up there with any double or imperial stout I have had. Huge super dark chocolate and roasted malt nose.

Taste- Damn, this shit is good. Mega roasted malt, nuts and any other malted flavor you can think of. Smooth and I mean smooth dark chocolate flavor. Maybe a touch of coffee as well.

Mouthfeel- Oh so close from being perfect. Just a touch too much carbonation to be as smooth as it could possibly be. Super creamy and goes down with the greatest of ease. Do they have this on cask??

Drinkability- So glad I still have one of these left. Think I will toss it in the cellar and forget about it for a year or two. Can't imagine it getting much better than it already is, but what if it does?

08-12-2005 16:44:07 | More by GClarkage
stumac

4.93/5  rDev +18.8%

First off, I must say that this is one of the best stouts ever created...

it pours black as night. no other colors. small creamed coffee color head. very slight lacing. the nose is cocoa beans, roasted chocolate malts, alocohol, toffee. As I took my first sip, I realized that it had a super thick body! I taste notes of roasted coffee beans, very chewy, a little bit too much alcohol taste, roasty roasty malty finish, stickyness is left on your lips for later. This a meal in a bottle, brother!

09-27-2008 22:44:56 | More by stumac
John

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

'01-'02: This is one of the beers that's consistently in my top 20 or better. One of the most complex and delicious brews ever made. I love BBCS as a nightcap or a special treat on it's own.
'00-'01: Simply one of the best Imperial stouts.

10-11-2001 14:30:55 | More by John
oelergud

02-03
WoW what a beer!
Like pouring the blackest night into your glass
the head is a creamy brown, doesn't last long but looks great.
The smell is strong and robust, alcohol and chocolate very apparent, I thought I could detect a hint of almond/marzipan which probably isn't there but it's the closest I can get to it.
Sweet and thick, this brew goes down easy, little to no acid or bitterness shows itself until you let the after taste manifest, the alcohol gives the stout a good kick making the beer have a strong presence about it. Good chocolate taste throughout.
Only regret I have about this beers drinkability is the high alcohol % which makes is hard to indulge without getting drunk off your ass

Oelergud - Cheers!

03-04

Been storing this bottle in the fridge for about 6 months.
Beautiful black brew with a chocolate head, doesn't stay long though and almost no lace. Impossible to determine level of carbonation as absolutely no light gets through this beer.
Smell is semisweet chocolate, strong spice, alcohol and earth.
Very apparent alcohol tones in the taste but overpowered by the rich chocolate flavors, swirling earth and dark roasted coffee beans.
Subtle hops underneath the malts struggling to be noticed
Thick and full body, almost syrupy, creamy and leaving a nice sweet coating on the tongue. Each swallow sends waves of warmth through your being. Strong robust and demanding attention and respect, this is still one hell of a beer.

-Oelergud

04-05, 11/12/04

Black tar goodness slowly oozing out of the bottle, beautiful effect on the edge of the beer as bubbles go up and down, tan creamy head decent retention and great lace leaving rings after each draw.
Strong roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate and alcohol makes up the nose. strong malts overwhelm the hops.
Taste is liquid dark chocolate with an alcoholic charge pinning the tongue to the ground. Rich and powerful maltiness and some faint hops dominate the aftertaste which is smooth and lasting quite long.
Mouthfeel is perfect stout thick, chewable indeed.
What can I say I havent said before, great brew, great stout, deliciousness in a bottle!

-Oelergud

04-24-2004 02:53:27 | More by oelergud
Zorro

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Sampled through the efforts of Newbie BIF.

Release 2004 – 2005 making this about 1 year old.

Pours an impenetrable black stout with a thick reddish brown head.

Smells of kahlua, smoke, coffee, chocolate and coffee. Chocolate and fruitiness ride the alcohol scent that makes my brain and nose say coffee liqueur.

Taste is a big hit of chocolate and coffee in the very first sip. Nice chest warming sensation from the alcohol level. Brown sugar makes an appearance as does fruit and toffee. Long lasting bitter after taste from the hops and dark malts but I am unable to identify exactly what this is very smoothly mixed. After 4 mouthfuls this smooths out and becomes just pure ambrosia to drink.

Milkshake thick and creamy probably the best mouthfeel I have experienced to date.

Drinkability is pure peace of heaven here. The only fault here is that the smell could be a bit more complex but it is debatable that it is not possible in a brew this strong. I have found a new favorite beer after drinking this. Now I just have to figure out how to get some more in California!

10-10-2005 22:23:03 | More by Zorro
sraimondi

Connecticut

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Finally had this on nitrous draft at Cafe Luna in Simsbury, CT (see seperate review--great job Louis!). WOW!! While I have always enjoyed this one from the bottle, the draft version is almost PERFECT. The coffee and chocolate flavor is very much pronounced, but not overwhelming. While the bottle version "hides" the high ABV; the draft is even more dangerous, as you cannot really feel the alcohol until afterwards. The carbonation is very soft. A really outstanding brew, served at the right temp at Cafe Luna. By the way, the pizza here is VERY, VERY good!! Mangia.

Serving type: nitro-tap

12-04-2005 22:17:42 | More by sraimondi
nriech

06-07 bottling
Appearance: Obviously completely black, tiny bit of chocolate brown head that almost completely dissolves away. Sticky lacing barely visable.

Smell: Smell is tons of roasted malts, chocolate, dark coffee, a little alcohol.

Taste: Awesome. This is hands down one of the best. Tons of the roasted malts come together to form the chocolate flavor. Its a little sweet with an alcohol kick at the end. A little smoky also. Mouthfeel is excellent, nice and thick. Nice strong aftertaste that wasnt too bitter.

Definately one of my top favorites of all styles.

01-23-2007 13:07:23 | More by nriech
MrBen

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

About as good as it gets. I've enjoyed this brew for the past couple of years, and it just keeps impressing.

Pours totally black, somewhat thick, and tosses up a dark tan head. Smell hits hard with a tingle of dark roasted malts -- chocolate -- plus sweetness of raisins and other savory, dried fruits. Some toffee, coffee, nutty delight, and general toastiness. I have to dive in! Smooth mouthfeel, coating the piehole with massive maltiness.

Flavor is enormous. You just have to drink it slowly. Flavor of big malts take over, with a fantastic background of flinty, grainy black patent and choclate malts. Superb. Warmth from alcohol sneaks in once in a while, but the complete riot of tasty treats sits on top of any alcohol flavors and farts on their heads.

This is a giant among stouts and a titan among beers. It's up there in the ABV department, so sip carefully and respect the hell outta this amazing beer.

09-11-2007 01:17:57 | More by MrBen
w5baron

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

This dark beer does wonders to the taste pallet. It is a rich malty beer but does not over do it. The time line of the taste is great, starts off strong with a chocolate taste and ends with a smooth after taste of the roasted malt. I aged the beer for a year, did change the beer a little but either way its great just as if it just came right from the brewery yesterday.

11-06-2007 20:19:23 | More by w5baron