Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,716 | Hads: 6,238
4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

About as good as it gets. I've enjoyed this brew for the past couple of years, and it just keeps impressing.

Pours totally black, somewhat thick, and tosses up a dark tan head. Smell hits hard with a tingle of dark roasted malts -- chocolate -- plus sweetness of raisins and other savory, dried fruits. Some toffee, coffee, nutty delight, and general toastiness. I have to dive in! Smooth mouthfeel, coating the piehole with massive maltiness.

Flavor is enormous. You just have to drink it slowly. Flavor of big malts take over, with a fantastic background of flinty, grainy black patent and choclate malts. Superb. Warmth from alcohol sneaks in once in a while, but the complete riot of tasty treats sits on top of any alcohol flavors and farts on their heads.

This is a giant among stouts and a titan among beers. It's up there in the ABV department, so sip carefully and respect the hell outta this amazing beer. (918 characters)

02-03
WoW what a beer!
Like pouring the blackest night into your glass
the head is a creamy brown, doesn't last long but looks great.
The smell is strong and robust, alcohol and chocolate very apparent, I thought I could detect a hint of almond/marzipan which probably isn't there but it's the closest I can get to it.
Sweet and thick, this brew goes down easy, little to no acid or bitterness shows itself until you let the after taste manifest, the alcohol gives the stout a good kick making the beer have a strong presence about it. Good chocolate taste throughout.
Only regret I have about this beers drinkability is the high alcohol % which makes is hard to indulge without getting drunk off your ass

Oelergud - Cheers!

03-04

Been storing this bottle in the fridge for about 6 months.
Beautiful black brew with a chocolate head, doesn't stay long though and almost no lace. Impossible to determine level of carbonation as absolutely no light gets through this beer.
Smell is semisweet chocolate, strong spice, alcohol and earth.
Very apparent alcohol tones in the taste but overpowered by the rich chocolate flavors, swirling earth and dark roasted coffee beans.
Subtle hops underneath the malts struggling to be noticed
Thick and full body, almost syrupy, creamy and leaving a nice sweet coating on the tongue. Each swallow sends waves of warmth through your being. Strong robust and demanding attention and respect, this is still one hell of a beer.

-Oelergud

04-05, 11/12/04

Black tar goodness slowly oozing out of the bottle, beautiful effect on the edge of the beer as bubbles go up and down, tan creamy head decent retention and great lace leaving rings after each draw.
Strong roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate and alcohol makes up the nose. strong malts overwhelm the hops.
Taste is liquid dark chocolate with an alcoholic charge pinning the tongue to the ground. Rich and powerful maltiness and some faint hops dominate the aftertaste which is smooth and lasting quite long.
Mouthfeel is perfect stout thick, chewable indeed.
What can I say I havent said before, great brew, great stout, deliciousness in a bottle!

-Oelergud (2,177 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

'01-'02: This is one of the beers that's consistently in my top 20 or better. One of the most complex and delicious brews ever made. I love BBCS as a nightcap or a special treat on it's own.
'00-'01: Simply one of the best Imperial stouts. (244 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

Finally had this on nitrous draft at Cafe Luna in Simsbury, CT (see seperate review--great job Louis!). WOW!! While I have always enjoyed this one from the bottle, the draft version is almost PERFECT. The coffee and chocolate flavor is very much pronounced, but not overwhelming. While the bottle version "hides" the high ABV; the draft is even more dangerous, as you cannot really feel the alcohol until afterwards. The carbonation is very soft. A really outstanding brew, served at the right temp at Cafe Luna. By the way, the pizza here is VERY, VERY good!! Mangia. (568 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

There are way too many reviews for this Beer~and much of them are way better then I could ever put into words...let me just say that this is AMAZING,and beyond better than any other Russian Imperial Stout I have ever tried,Dark Chocolate,super roasted french coffee,slight cherry flavor,black as Midnight,and so full of flavor....superb in every way,top notch,stellar,and if you like this style of Beer~you MUST try it,...words cannot convey just how tasty this brew is...10/10 & An A+ in my book any day ~cheers! (513 characters)

06-07 bottling
Appearance: Obviously completely black, tiny bit of chocolate brown head that almost completely dissolves away. Sticky lacing barely visable.

Smell: Smell is tons of roasted malts, chocolate, dark coffee, a little alcohol.

Taste: Awesome. This is hands down one of the best. Tons of the roasted malts come together to form the chocolate flavor. Its a little sweet with an alcohol kick at the end. A little smoky also. Mouthfeel is excellent, nice and thick. Nice strong aftertaste that wasnt too bitter.

Definately one of my top favorites of all styles. (579 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Sampled through the efforts of Newbie BIF.

Release 2004 – 2005 making this about 1 year old.

Pours an impenetrable black stout with a thick reddish brown head.

Smells of kahlua, smoke, coffee, chocolate and coffee. Chocolate and fruitiness ride the alcohol scent that makes my brain and nose say coffee liqueur.

Taste is a big hit of chocolate and coffee in the very first sip. Nice chest warming sensation from the alcohol level. Brown sugar makes an appearance as does fruit and toffee. Long lasting bitter after taste from the hops and dark malts but I am unable to identify exactly what this is very smoothly mixed. After 4 mouthfuls this smooths out and becomes just pure ambrosia to drink.

Milkshake thick and creamy probably the best mouthfeel I have experienced to date.

Drinkability is pure peace of heaven here. The only fault here is that the smell could be a bit more complex but it is debatable that it is not possible in a brew this strong. I have found a new favorite beer after drinking this. Now I just have to figure out how to get some more in California! (1,093 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A great Imperial Russian Stout.
Dark almost black appearance with a dark tan head which does not last
Smell of dark fruit and dark chocolate, very inviting
Taste of dark fruits and dark chocolate, intermingling
Mouthfeel is syrupy and coating. perfect for a cold winter's night on the Baltic
Overall this is an excellent brew that will stand up to other Imperial Russian Stouts and is reasonably priced. (403 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

This is the first review I've posted here - hopefully I'll do it right!

I knew I had to try this beer when I read a rave review of it in the Toronto Star - I'm a big fan of stouts in general, and this one sounded wonderful. But it took some searching to find it. Most of the smaller LCBO stores were either sold out, or didn't have it in the first place, but I finally found it at Summerhill, one of the larger LCBO stores in Toronto, where you can often find things the smaller ones don't have, and bought six bottles.

I'd intended to bring them to a Christmas gathering at a friend's house, but couldn't resist trying one ahead of time, and oh my gods - I think I may have to go back to Summerhill and get more. Like as many as I can carry. Yes, it's THAT good.

It's smoother and sweeter than I'd expected, but still with a rich, complex flavour... There's a smokiness to it like lapsang souchong tea, and I can definitely see why the chocolate reference in the name, even though it doesn't contain chocolate as such - it tastes like the beer equivalent of one of those super-rich 70% cocoa dark chocolate bars. Or maybe the truffle equivalent, because it's got a smooth, almost buttery creaminess to it. There's just a touch of that earthiness you get in things like St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout, but it's just there enough to ground the sweetness.

It is also, as a few other reviewers have commented, scarily drinkable. It doesn't taste like it has nearly as high an alcohol content as it does. If I hadn't noticed the number on the label, I could see myself happily drinking several of these and then wondering why I was suddenly unable to walk.

All in all, this is definitely a top favourite. I'm not sure it could quite unseat my beloved Trois Pistoles or Young's Double Chocolate Stout from being tied for number one, but it's certainly a very close contender. Since it's only here temporarily, I am going to have to try to resist the impulse to visit every large LCBO store and buy up their entire stock of this. Seriously, if you like smooth, sweet stouts, this is the nectar of the gods. (2,102 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a pitch black, motor oil tar black to be exact. Head is creamy and active. Leaves a fair amount of thick lacing. Smell is immediately alcoholic/medicinal, I'm sure it will cure what ails me! Taste is heavenly, chocolate malt abounds! Not quite as extreme as say Young's Double Chocolate but still very good. Mouthfeel is creamy and chewy. Sticks to the palate very well to remind you you've just drank a very incredible beer. Drinkability is extremely high. This is a very proper Imperial Stout. These guys know what they are doing for sure. Highly recommended. (567 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Served on-tap at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

Pours a pitch black with a nice creamy brown head. Aroma of dark chocolate and roasted maltiness. Very, very smooth tasting beer in which the malty dark chocolate masks the high abv. This is a dangerously good beer that taste so smooth that you want to drink it down so fast. Highly recommended! (346 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

Had this on tap at Surf Restaurant in Portsmouth, NH. Jet black appearance with a nice creamy head. You notice the smell of chocolate right away but also a nice roasty aroma emanates as well. On the first sip you taste the chocolate and maltiness right off the bat. It is just sweet enough. You also get the slight taste of alcohol without it being overpowering. The flavors compliment each other very nicely. Very smooth, velvet like feel in the mouth. I am a big fan of this style of beer and was very pleased with this offering. Was surprised to see it was at 10% alcohol! Very easy beer to drink and throw back a couple which could become dangerous at the alcohol level. (674 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

This dark beer does wonders to the taste pallet. It is a rich malty beer but does not over do it. The time line of the taste is great, starts off strong with a chocolate taste and ends with a smooth after taste of the roasted malt. I aged the beer for a year, did change the beer a little but either way its great just as if it just came right from the brewery yesterday. (371 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

ok here we go the first time i had their big monster ale now we are going with a huge stout

appearance was jet black seriously no light coming through on this one the head is pretty small but persistent it has a nice deep brown color appears to cling to the glass i decided to let the beer sit for a while and breathe

wow incredible aroma it smelled like raisins and dark fruits even dark cherries in there i also got crazy coffee aroma like deep roasted coffee with steamed milk crazy caramel too

flavor was so savory i had to stop and think about it sip it slowly...took a minute i realized this was an epic beer and really great flavor combination

i never seen a mouthfeel ike this it was so rich and full but at the same time so nice and light i think it was the roast flavor and those hops it made the heavy body go away and be all full and front without being annoying

overall a great beer maybe just shy of perfection for me i really really look forward to trying more of these styles (996 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW.... Thats one word to describe this stout. It is dark, it has a great aroma. Hints of chocolate and coffee with a touch of cinnamon.

Then the pour.... Dark dark dark through and through. Then slowly the white creamy head rises to the top. Not a lot, just enough to separate the dark from the cream.

The first sip. Its smooth, its delicious, you can taste the coffee more than the chocolate and it is smooothh The beer in your mouth is very full and the after taste lingers for a long time.

For a beer that is 10$ ABV, you would never realize it because it is so easy to drink

I gotta run out and buy several more 4packs.

09/2012
Second major tasting of this stout.. Same as before, loads of chocolate in the noise and in the taste. This years brew seems to be fuller and rounder than the 2011, which to me was even that much more enjoyable. The only negative, and its a very small negative, is that in this batch (2012), I seem to taste/feel more alcohol. Even at 10%, past years brews seem to have less of an alcoholic taste.
But then again, this could be just more beer tasting techniques and skills have been advancing.
Even so, a great STOUT!

11/13/12
Another Tasting: This one is getting better and better every time I taste it.. Its getting close to a 5 for me now

02/02/13
One more time. This time, I could feel the chocolate as well as smell and taste it I was anxious like a little boy in a candy stand waiting to unwrap the chocolate candy bar and bit into it. Well tonight, I was that little boy and boy did I enjoy this even more

09/23/13
Another tasting. Even more than before this stout has everything, I mean everything I ever wanted in a stout. The pour was beautiful. Deep rich black chocolate stout down into the glass, then topped with a 1 1/2 frothy amber cream head that stayed and stayed. Once my nose was inside the glass, I felt like a kid in a chocolate factory. The taste was superb, you would think at 10% ABV, there would be some burn here, but its smooth and smoother As I had more from my glass, I could detect the alcohol in the nose but still was not in the taste. The chocolate got richer and the beer kept on getting better. (2,171 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

The beer appeared to have a thick, creamy appearance with a thin dark brown head. Aromas are heavy with alcohol, vanilla, chocolate, strong black coffee, maybe espresso and cream. The taste had a strong taste of alcohol and a bitter dark chocolate with mocha. The mouthfeel is pretty crisp and carbonated at times, which I found refreshing in contrast to the general creamy body of the drink. Overall, a fantastic, sweet beverage for a cold night. (447 characters)

'05='06 bottling

A: Pours thick, black and creamy with a thick, dark cocoa brown head

S: The smell is of dark chocolate, roasted malts with a hint of mocha and coffee

T: Here is where this wins me over. Amazing dark chocolate flavor that is not too sweet. Hints of mocha and roasted malts comes through and balances this perfectly. Bitter dark chocolate aftertaste persists.

M: Smooth and creamy, perfect feel

D: Very tasty and not too sweet, definitely enjoyed as a desert beer watching the game.

This stout quickly moved towards the top of my list of stouts. I would definitely reccommend this beer, even to the uneducated. Next time I plan on buying a few and aging for a couple of months; I feel it can only get better with time (751 characters)

'02-'03

I guess I love imperial stouts, and I really love this one. The color and consistency is like used motor oil - real black, and the head is dark brown and thick. The smell is chocolate, coffee, and red wine and the taste has those aspects as well, with a slight ABV burn that warms you up. Pretty drinkable as far as the style goes. This has to be the best bargain in beer. (383 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

2003 edition... if fall has to be here already, at least we get to enjoy all of the great brews that come with it. I must confess that this is the beer that "converted" me to micros...

Appearance is gorgeous. Jet black, luscious, almost viscous looking pour of melted dark chocolate. Impressive, amazingly dark brown head (probably looks better from a tap...can't wait to find out).
Big malt, clearly chocolate and mocha nose. Hop aroma is subdued. Some nose tingle from the alcohol.
Taste is "truly" exceptional. For me the taste and mouthfeel are a single entity with experiencing this brew. I love the simultaneous carbonation/alcohol tingle that carries a creamy, lush, slick, smooth and slightly sweet blend of malt and chocolate. Served at the correct temperature, the interplay of flavors is a near religious experience.
Drinkability: This IS Imperial Stout! To me, you save your "5" ratings for the very, VERY few that are truly stunning... this brew rates. (971 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This is one of the beers I look forward to every year. Even though they've gone to four-packs, Brooklyn prices this very reasonably, and a $45 case isn't hard to come by. It's worth every penny, this is one of the best beers on the planet. Drinking a fresh Winter '10/'11 bottle. It's as tasty as I ever remember it being. Not as roasty and big as '08/'09, not as thin-tasting as '09/'10 (judging from my notes, anyway) but a lot more drinkable and delicious.

A: Ink-black with a light brown head. Definitely a big-looking beer, intimidating you with its look. I don't know what the heck is going on with this beer though, because the look is a lot bigger than the final product ends up being. And I mean that as a compliment!

S: Smells of baker's chocolate and faraway espresso. Definitely not a coffee flavored beer, but smells of the roasty character that coffee stouts usually carry, only without the coffee.

T: Tastes beautiful. The best balance of any beer I've had. There are other beers that are more drop-dead delicious, but they abandon their beer character for sweet chocolate-milk deliciousness. And there are other beers that are stronger and more bitter (Storm King, for example), but they give up some of this sweet, tasty drinkability for that. This is the perfect blend of chocolate, roast, and dark anise/dark fruit/hop character. The perfect beer, taste-wise.

M: Smooth and tasty with just enough chocolate sweetness and bitter hop finish. The 10% alcohol is dangerously imperceptible.

D: Maybe the most drinkable Russian Imperial Stout out there. The heightened dark chocolate character makes it more drinkable than most beers of this style, and the fact that it isn't a coffee stout or the fact that it's missing a lot of bitterness is something that can be counted in its favor, as it makes it a very unique beer that I haven't ever experienced a duplication of. Sure, there are other amazing stouts out there, but this is a delicious interpretation of a RIS that I hope never goes out of rotation at Brooklyn Brewery. I buy several 4-packs a year and will continue to do so. (2,102 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

A beautiful black browness. Opaque with a generous head and good lacing. Sticky. A thin covering and a firm ring on the edge.

Sweet delicious chocolate malts. Sweet alcohol. Molasses and chewy dark breads. Imagine bottle of stout meets Godiva chocolate box.

Taste is just unreal. An alcoholic chocolate syrup that blossoms into a balanced though hot, stouty dark malt breadiness. Firm and multilayered hops give a good balance to the goings on in the glass. Cocoa and mocha fade into coffee here. There is a good lingering charcoal presence that cuts into the rather sweet body at the finish helping the hops to make a statement.

Feel is silky with a light syrupiness. Carbonation is smooth, balancing the high og and breaking up a thick, girthy brew.

This stuff is way to easy to put down. A growler is just so smooth compared to the bottled version, unless it is cellared. Nonetheless you can just about chug this one if you want but it would be such a waste. Savor this one folks. Not many are this well constructed. (1,024 characters)

03-04 bottling.
This is one beautiful stout. It pours a dark black color with a dark brown head on top. The head stays for a spell and slowly gives way to a thin sticky lace. The aroma is of burnt coffee, deep roasted malt and a slight sweetness in the air. There is also a faint wisp of alcohol roaming around. The taste is wonderful; Deep roasted malt combined with the coffee and the hints of sweetness (plum, raisin?) attack the tongue. There is a slight warming of the lips with a slight presence of the alcohol. Also present is a smooth creamy feeling in the mouth. It is a very enjoyable and defiantly easy to drink. I need to get more before it is all gone! (667 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Oh, if this was on tap at any local pub, I'd never leave the place.

Pours pitch black, dark brown head, little lace. Faint aroma of sweet belgian sugars, maybe some plum, plenty of roasty aroma as well. Taste heavy of roasted malts and a porto like mouthfell. Dry finish, makes you want more.

I'd kill for the recipe. Good Stuff. (335 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

This brew caught my eye walking into TW, so let's give it a whirl. Popping the top yields a great butterscotch smell characteristic of HG brews. There are also hints of red licorice. The brew pours to a jet black with a tan multi-sized bubble head. On the taste this brew is heavenly to say the least. Chocolate is indeed the forte of the flavor and it is evident from start to finish with different flavors throughout. The brew starts with a black licorice and semisweet chocolate flavor folllowed by a more tart and flatter unsweetened chocolate flavor and finishing with a bitter but sweet milk chocolate with a licorice kicker. This is one HG brew, all throughout the taste the AC is warming and evident not unlike a chocolate licor, hence the licorice flavors. I think I could stand outside naked in -20 degree weather drinking one of these brews and not bat an eye. This is a serious stout, the flavors are beyond incredible. (931 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Really beautiful pour, its as black as it promises with a nice tan head. The aroma is sweet with dark chocolate, a little coffee and roasted malt. The real victory here is the mouthfeel and taste. I love Imperial Stouts, but sometimes they can be over the top with the alcohol and its burns or warms the throat too much, while not providing enough flavor. The Brooklyn Brewery delivers! (386 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery