Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,722 | Hads: 6,255
3.67/5  rDev -11.6%

Anno 2010.

Appearance -- Pours a ruddy dark brown, incredibly dark in the galss, with a slim sudsy tan head.

Smell -- Dark chocolate, cafe mocha, burnt breadcrusts, dark dried fruits, faint woodsmoke. Alcohol is a bit sharp on the nose. Overall, a rich, dark, proper RIS.

Taste -- Very rich and roasty with dark chocolate, coffee with cream, molasses, anise, licorice, dark fruity tang, and woodsmoke. Finish is burnt breadcrust, black coffee, and dark chocolate. The alcohol is a bit strong, though not the worst I've had. That said, it was just enough to be distracting.

Mouthfeel -- Full-bodied, velvety, with moderate prickly carb. Good deal of alcohol warming.

Drinkability -- This stout is quite good. Not at all cloying as the name would suggest, but actually quite balanced with plenty of acrid malt roastiness. However, the booziness is a bit distracting. Had the beer possessed more depth of flavor and nuance it would have been more forgivable. I wish I had a bottle with three or four years on it, as I'd imagine it would be positively decadent. (1,062 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a growler I picked up at Whole Foods in a nice Allagash tulip glass

A - Very dark and inky with a short lived nice tan head that leaves a significant lacing along the glass

S - Coffee, hint of prunes, slight sweet chocolate, roasted malts, get a alcohol whiff as well.

T - - Lots going on here, semi-sweet chocolate, espresso, some hops, definite alcohol heat, malts, very complex.

M - Creamy, medium bodied, medium carbonation, alcohol.

O - Nice beer for a cold winter day such as today. the 10% ABV is a bit high for this palate but the overall taste came up for the it, good brew. (600 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Black Chocolate, 32-oz growler filled at the new Brew York City / Duane Reade on Broadway at 76th in NYC for $5.99.

I have had these beer many times, but this is the first time I enjoy it from a growler.

Appearance: Gorgeous and classy-looking on my Lost Abbey chalice, with a deep shiny black color and a beautiful, prominent coffee-colored that lasts and lasts; thick soapy bubbles on top. Great lacing, retention, carbonation. An outstanding presence.

Smell: Sharp booze, rum-soaked wood. Coffee. Spice, dank hops / bitterness (a bit unpleasant). And a dryness that gets in your nostrils! Maple and some plant-based sweetness at the end? Reminds me of sipping on Founders CBS, believe it or not.

Taste: Follows nose, with a more pronounced coffee side that reminds me of Founders Breakfast. I don't get much of the chocolate... a bit of sour funk and barnyard lactic feel.

Mouthfeel: Full flavor, medium body and carbonation. Correct but a tad thin for the style, and unfortunately overtly bitter. Smooth and creaminess are AWOL. Bone-dry finish with spice and clover. After opening and closing the growler a couple of times, the bitterness recedes and some chocolaty creaminess appears.

Overall: Black Choco is all over. I've had horribly bitter versions of it and smooth and creamy pints, both in tap and bottle. It changes between seasons and serving types. Last week I had a bottle of this current year ('11-'12) and it was beautiful. This growler is too bitter but still alright. What will be next? It is, in any case, a mighty drinkable beer, and always a good deal. No trace of 10%, I could polish a growler of this and still stand tall and strong. (1,667 characters)

3.66/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a dark mocha-black, leavened on the edges with a touch of burgundy-brown, but otherwise quite opaque. Head is fine and soft, forming a pleasant milk chocolate ring around the edge. Lacing is veiny. Body is solid, and it forms nice fine carbonation when tilted or swirled. Overall, a very good-looking beer.

Nose is roasted, but also oddly acidic, with a oily whiff of vegetative pressings. There's a vaguely fragrant, jasmine-like overtone to it, which undermines the deep sweetness I feel it's trying to convey. Not bad overall, but not much like what I expected, and certainly no chocolate characters.

Flavour is nutty-black, with a thinness that is a little unbecoming, but marked with pleasant almond and sweet cacao characters. In reality, there's not much in the way of chocolate to it, but it has a pleasant raw, grainy darkness to it which is appealing enough.

Feel is surprisingly light, and allows that fragrant, burgeoning jasmine character to slip through quite prominently onto the palate.

Overall, it's good. I mean, it has to be good. But it's also a little odd, and doesn't live up to its name or to my expectations. A 10% stout, chocolate or no, should be better than this. (1,200 characters)

'01-'02: Sampled: On tap, pint glass

Aroma: Roastiness, chocolate, and hints of alcohol. Starts out with a slight tang amongst the roasted flavors, which quickly subsides to leave a big, roasted malt and chocolate taste with a decent (not huge) body to it. The alcohol becomes more pronounced as it goes down, but doesn't ever come close to overpowering the roasted coffee/chocolate/burnt toast(?) flavors. A very nice brew that, with the addition of a bit more body, could be incredible - albeit less "I'll have another, thanks!" drinkable.

Me being me, I had the bartender give me a 5 oz. glass and mixed this half-and-half with Middle Ages Druid Fluid barleywine. THAT rounded the flavor out. (701 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

From notes, 3/13. 12 oz. bottle from a recent winter release and poured into a globe glass. Pours an opaque black with a finger of deep mocha foam. Shows decent retention and lace, flattening out a bit by mid glass however.

Lots of roast, chocolate and a firm punch of alcohol on the aroma front. Booziness comes across as rummy and barrel like in nature which gives the beer an interesting depth.

Taste is a bit oily given the rummy character. Offers a rich malt profile yet a bit singular in nature. Rich chocolate notes yet without the bitterness or close of dark chocolate. Lighter on the roast than the arom might suggest and a touch of black cherry with warming. Feel is full and rich yet lacks the lingering chocolate one might expect.

Overall the lack of carbonation after the initial pour creates a lessened experience. Rich and boozy but a bit short in depth consideing it all. Vinous in nature like a fruit bomb of a zinfandel. Probably not worth the calories. (975 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

I have just acquired some of the 2003 version of this beer.

It pours a beautiful opaque black, and fills the immediate region with an aroma of chocolate and alcohol.

The taste starts off malty sweet with a strong chocolate component, followed quickly by a hit of roasted malt and an alcohol warmth. It finishes with an almost harsh bitterness, which suggests most strongly to me that this beer is young. This brew seems to be a bit heavier in the alcohol department, and I'm guessing that a bit of aging will help it immensely. Having had the 2002 version not very long ago, I know that this beer has the potential to be one of the best of stouts... (655 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

This beer poured a deep dark black with a nice head. The head slowly diminished, leaving a nice lacing that remained for the duration. The aroma was filled with roasted malts and chocolate. The taste was true to the aroma as it was also a nice combination of dark roasted malts and a dark chocolate. The drawback here is that the chocolate taste is overwhelming and it takes away from any of the other flavors that are hidden in there. The mouthfeel was relatively thick and heavy but the drinkability was good. Overall, this would make an excellent desert beer but I couldn't see drinking a couple of these over the course of an evening. (638 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

A - Poured jet black with a small mocha/tan colored head that quickly dissipates. A bit of a cascading affect is nice. A small ring of lacing is left around the circumference and some sticky lacing is left clinging to the glass.

S - The aroma is full of chocolate with definite notes of coffee, roasted malts and some booze. I also pick on on sweet dark fruits. No hops were picked up.

T = Initial taste is dark powdery chocolate, has a dry cocoa taste. Definitely turns to coffee, and a burnt roast taste. Some toffee malt finish, but the burnt flavor stayed with me. Somewhat one dimensional and borderline on the bitter roast for me.

M - A bit thin and more carbonated then I prefer for a beer of this style.

D - As stated, the bitterness of this brew made it tough to finish. (788 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

We pour a syrupy brew that is the deepest brown in color, and entirely opaque. It maintains a one and a half finger light brown head. This dissipates down to leave a layer of foam right on top of the beer, with coloring in the center lighter than on the edges. Thick lacing appears down the sides as this occurs. Whiffs reveal heavy malt character intertwined with bittersweet dark chocolate. There is also the suggestion of dried cherries. The taste begins with a light malty flavor with hints of vanilla. This is swept away by leathery bitterness that could be lent from either the roasted or chocolate malts, or any hops added to balance out the complex grain bill. The flavors that dominate into the aftertaste are certainly lent from bitter chocolate and roasted grain. Through the end of the sip there is also the warming palpation of alcohol. The mouth is left dry, despite the creamy full body of the beer and lack of any strong carbonation. The drinkability is stifled a bit by the borderline offensive aftertaste and the high abv.

Overall, what we liked most about this beer was the rich and delicious creaminess of the mouthfeel coupled with the stark appearance and aromas. This brew delivers all of the flavors it promises and then some. After drinking it, our mouths are almost comparable to the feel of just having consumed a bite of 100% cocoa which, while tasty, can become overwhelming. (1,405 characters)

2007-08 version...

Look is black with only a hint of brown. Enormous, puffy cocoa-brown head. Thick gobs of brown lace.

Roasted but also sweet. Robust dark coffee aroma. Hints of dark chocolate. Smells dark and thick, burnt and harsh. There is a touch of dark grape smell.

Blast of burnt malt, chocolate layer on top. Heavy strong coffee with a shot of strong whiskey alcohol flavor.. Alcohol flavor gives a sharp bite akin to a barleywine.

Feels thick and oily. Leaves a sharp, alcoholic film. It's a hard swallow. It's not a smooth, creamy stout. It's harsh, strong and full of alcohol. (592 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

I was intrigued when I saw this on the menu (Mad Mex, Pittsburgh). I saw the alcohol content and thought why not. (best bang for the buck). I was with some annoying people and thought it could help.

I was a little dissappointed. I definitely tasted the alcohol. There was no way to hide that.

I did not taste chocolate (if I was supposed to).

It was not full bodied, which is why I gave this ranking.

Overall, it wasn't bad. It went fine with the Carnita Burrito (which is sensational for anyone ever going to Mad Mex)

Peace out. (534 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

black chocolate stout- is pretty heavy on the black and not so much on the chocolate. it pours black- with hardly any head- but i didnt pour it hard into the glass so that could be my fault. the smell is really sweet, with traces of alcohol. the flavor is super bitter and rich. this is a good stout....but i dont feel like there is as much chocolate in the flavor as i would have liked. i think over all though this is a flavorful stout that coats your whole mouth and delivers what i look for when i drink a powerful stout... i am a little let down however by the work "chocolate" on the label- i think if i wasnt influenced by that word i may have rated this beer higher. (674 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Lightly chilled 09-10 vintage into a glass, courtesy of ericwo. Thanks Eric!

A: Pours black in the glass, essentially opaque in the center but just translucent at the barest edges. A finger of dark mocha head adorns the glass for a minute or so, receding in clumps until a thin film covers the beer. That's gone in another minute. Some bubbles attempt to lace during swigs, but nothing sticks.

S: Sweet, dark malts. I expected this to be like a melted Hershey's bar, but it's not. It's simply chocolate-forward without being ridiculous about it. Still has plenty of traditional RIS characteristics, like coffee and hints of dark fruits.

T: More chocolatey than the nose suggested. It doesn't have the cloying sweetness of some other chocolate stouts, but it definitely brings a lot of bittersweet cocoa beans to the table. They're fleshed out with bitter espresso flavors and a general feeling of char (though it's not exactly ashy). Try as I might, I could not pick up the dark fruits I smelled.

M: A bit of a warming effect from the ABV, but it's pretty well-hidden and smooth. Carbonation is modest, and the body is full in flavor, medium-full in heft.

D: I liked it, but I'd need to sit down and have it again before I could really make up my mind on where it falls in the chocolate stout spectrum. Expect a re-review of this one. (1,343 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A- poured a rich deep black with a creamy dark tan head. Head has decent retention and leaves some nice lacing

S- a little sickly. Just a bit of alcohol sweetness and maybe a hint of chocolate

T- earthy hops dominates and somewhat drowns out the robust malt initially. However the flavors meld better as the beer warms.

M- full and slightly slick

O- a very good, but not quite great stout. I would have wanted more roast malt to balance off the hops. (454 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Picked up a sixpack of this when I was in Boston for work. Since we cannot get Brooklyn in WI, I was excited to try this. It pours out very black with a mocha colored head that rises rapidly, but controlled, at the end of the pour. The aroma very heavy on the burnt sugars, molasses, and sweet cocoa nibs. The taste comes through a bit hot on the alcohol and the maltiness shines through. There are definitely major layers of roasted malts, but it becomes a bit messy at times. The flavor is clearly evident but the balance is lacking. I would have liked a little stronger roasted profile to tone down the sweetness. No doubt a nice stout that makes itself known, but I am a bit surprised to see such a widespread love for this with all the other wonderful stouts out there. (774 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Got this black chocolate stout on black Friday (sorry, I had to put that line in). Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass and this picked me up during this cold Virginia winter (I've spent the last 2 years in Florida, 50 degrees in Nov. is cold to me).
No head whatsoever, as this is midnight black color. Imagine Coke SYRUP - a good sign from a stout.
Upon smell there are hints of chocolate and coffee, and upon that first taste the malt kicks in. You can definitely realize the high ABV, which makes it slightly less sweet and smooth compared to Rogue's Chocolate Stout (which I think the ABV is in the 6 or 7 range), but is not as thick or leaves that somewhat malty, bitter aftertaste like an Old Rasputin does (which is still a very good beer). I think the reviewer before me, or the person in front of him mentioned how the high ABV limits the drinkability and I concur. I have had one after leftovers and I might have a second one, if that. This is a very good beer, more on the stout side than chocolate, so if you're looking for something very sweet you might want to pass. But if you are a beer lover, you'll have to pick this up and just have a nice glass (preferably after a meal so the 10.6% doesn't hit you) to warm you up during winter. (1,255 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

A: Pours a super dark brown with a nice fluffy dark tan head. Very clean body. No bubbles. Some complexity in the colors of the head. And, pretty good preliminary lacing.

S: Nice roasty, toasty chocolatetyness --also some hops coming through. More than I smell in most stouts. Nothing too special, but nice -- test will be in the taste.

T: Some crazy roasted malts / toasted grain flavor in the finish. Slighty bitter too. Definitely taste like tobacco. Hoppy. I'm not getting as much chocolate as I had hoped. Not bad or anything, but I don't think it is what it says. I really gotta look hard for the chocolate.

M: Nice carbonation. I'd say a medium body. Creamy and smooth -- more creamy. Little bit of chewiness. Good, but nothing that screams great.

O: I highly doubt this is an infected bottle, but this is called a Black Chocolate Stout and it should be called Black Tobacco Stout. Honestly, this needs more chocolate. I thought I detected it in the smell, but I knew the taste will tell the whole story, and the end wasn't great. I'll have to try it again next year.

**Note -- could be dark chocolate and not tobacco flavor, but definitely putting me off. (1,168 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- Black as you can get. Poured a 1/2 finger head with aggressive pour. Good lacing.

S- Dark fruits, booze, and a little chocolate. Caramel and a touch of hop when you really dig in.

T- Strangely sweet. Almost sour at times. Dark fruits up front. Chocolate starts to emerge mid way, leading to bitter dark chocolate, bitter coffee, and some booze. Seems to have some spice going on as well.

M- Medium thick body. Creamy and viscous with super sharp carbonation. Drying.

O- Not the biggest fan of this one. Maybe I'll buy one to age for a year or two. (558 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

A: Evil looking black liquid with a small tan head that disappears, leaving moderate lacing. Above average looking RIS.

S: Mild, bitter chocolate notes. Some malt as well. Sweet, sugary aromas are barely perceivable, but it's there nonetheless.

T: Smoky/sweet maltiness and some bitter chocolate. Caramel and coffee finish. Decent RIS, but nothing earth shattering. They should probably put the word "chocolate" in really small print, because other than chocolate malts that were probably used, there is no substantial chocolate taste to this brew. Just mild bitter chocolate notes.

M: Chalky and less than moderately carbonated. Not as filling as it appears. Which is a good thing.

D: Surprisingly drinkable, even with a 10% + abv. Alcohol is completely hidden, which means to me that this one is brewed with balance in mind. Deceiving brew, good balance, but lacking a bit in taste. Would probably be a good introduction to someone attempting to get into stouts. (969 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Just an okay beer -- it lacks the "wow" factor present in many other stouts I've tried. I taste a slightly sour fruitiness with each sip ... or maybe it's the hops -- either way that doesn't work for me. Kind of bland. This beer leaves me unsatisfied. (251 characters)

Winter 2007-08 edition

Pours a smooth black with 1 finger of creamy coffee tan head, good retention and lacing. Smells of dark fruits, chocolate, roasted malt, alcohol, and a touch of coffee. Tastes of vanilla, roasted malt, dark chocolate, dark fruits like cherries and rum soaked raisins, smoke, and alcohol in the finish. Full bodied with low carbonation. Smooth and creamy with lots of bitter sweetness, dark fruit notes, roastiness, and lots of alcohol presence. With there being more flavorful Russian Imperial Stouts that either mask the alcohol better or offer more in the flavor department, this is a RIS that I'll get if I see it and have no other desires offered, but I wouldn't race out to procure some. (716 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

Got lost in a grove of cocoa trees with this one on 12/19/2004. 16-oz. pour (when it should have been a 10-oz pour according to the board) at the Sunset Cantina.

Thick, wool blanket down of Silver Surfer head that receded and laced like a sputtering black hole. No moon blackest night hue, like the edge of the horizon on a winter night, in the dark, with eyes bolted shut. Chocolate and cocoa predominate on the mouth, with a Galactacus of sweet alcohol bite that shivers down to the metatarsals, practically splintering them. A bit further along, a prune and black licorice chutney gloms around and leaves a scorched earth policy down the tongue and into the throat; tonsils suffering from the plague. Almost a funky exoskeleton of malt that feels oddly wraith-like on the mouth. Generous, but lacking something. (817 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

A- Black with a coffee colored head. Some lacing on the glass, not excellent.

S- Alcohol and dark chocolate.

T- This beer is actually pretty bitter, tastes like dark chocolate. Taste improves as it warms. Hop character is definitely present as well.

M- not very rich and creamy, but still full bodied. Lingering alcohol burn after each sip.

D- This is a well made beer for sure, but the bitterness and 10% abv make this a sipper. Certainly better RIS's out there. Not very much a fan of the bitterness. (508 characters)

12 oz bottle into DFH snifter

A - Pours a dark brown, nearly black. A bit of light comes through on the edges. Half a finger of brown head with poor retention. Alcohol lacing, which I always love to see, is present.

S - Sweet chocolate. Booze. Some sweet,dark fruitiness. Roasted malts.

T - Some sweetness, very boozy. Some hop in the middle is nice. Only a hint of the dark fruit from the nose. Wonderful chocolate finish. Warming alcohol taste left in the mouth.

M - Thick. coats the mouth and is a bit cloying. Boozy warmth is divine.

D - A fine tasting beer, but the booziness is a bit much. Not much effort was put into masking the alcohol of this 10% imperial, and it suffers a bit for it. (700 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery