Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,735 | Hads: 6,334
3.64/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz. bottle in a pint glass.

A - Dark brown in color with a nice medium brown head.

S - Lighter chocolate smell than most chocolate stouts.

T - Rich chocolate taste with slight bitterness.

M - Full bodied with good carbonation.

D - Great beer. This is my favorite chocolate stout.

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%

This brew pours an opaque black colored body with a large creamy head. It had a strong coffee aroma. It also had a strong alcohol flavor with strong coffee notes. I am hoping the chocolate referred to the color and not the flavor because I did not get any chocolate in the flavor.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

poured bottle into pint glass.
very black. 3 finger brown head. sticky lacing.
sweet chocolaty aroma.
yeast malt and spices. faint alcohol smell. nothing overt for a 10% beer.
super bitter tasting with a sweet coffee finish.
the bitterness covers most of the alcohol. but still a slow drinking beverage.
a pleasant winter warmer.
continues to bring a burnt roast flavor. a little too sweet overall which brings down the drinkability.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours from the bottle a sinister-looking black with a mere quarter-inch of brown head. Smell seems a little on the subdued side, though there is a rich chocolate aroma, a little roasty malt, and a small cherry note.

The chocolate flavor is improved upon as I sip-- it becomes a bitter but tasty mixture of coffee and chocolate. After a few sips, I recognize hops accompanying the chocolate-malt goodness, and the presence of alcohol just makes itself known at the end of each sip, but only slightly so.

Mouthfeel is quite creamy up until the hop flavor lays down on the tongue with a drying effect. I found BCS a nice RIS, but it didn't necessarily stand out above the rest, at least while fresh.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

(this is for a winter 11-12 bottle)

Pours a not quite pitch black. .5in brown head develops and stays for a good while. Lacing is very heavy....appears a little over-carbonated for the style.

Smell is lots of roasted malt, chocolate, and alcohol. The usual suspects as far as big IS's go, but as a whole it's not as inviting as some of the best examples of the style.

Taste is pretty in line with the smell. The flavor notes are there but come across a little abrasive rather than blending together. As a whole its still a relatively pleasant taste and to style (aren't IS's supposed to be a little abrasive, after all?).

Mouthfeel has a little bit of a chocolate milk quality, but it could stand to be just a little smoother. For me, mouthfeel is probably the most important element of an IS (or at least it's far more important than in other styles), and this beer just doesn't really stand out enouth in this category to compensate for the harshness of the flavor profile.

Overall this beer works at its given price point and is a good, middle of the road, IS. It's worth picking up a 4 pack and cellaring a couple for comparison. Just don't expect to be blown away.

12 oz bottel poured into my lost abbey stemware glass

A- Pours dark black, with no light coming in or out. Very nice khaki head. Creamy and holds very well.

S- Nice bittersweet aroma from this. Roasted malts overcome the bitter chocolate notes in nose.

T- Up front the roasted malts mix with subtle sweet chocolate flavors. Bitterness starts to overtake in the middle through the end. Chocolate settles off pretty quick too, still very smooth drink.

M- Full body. Low carbonation, almost none. Creamy mouth feel.

O- Good beer , Chocolate flavors weren't as present as I was hoping for. Solid, but nothing overwhelmingly special.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Hmm....I guess I don't agree with previous raters but here we go.

Yes, lovely dark, almost black beer. Deep tan head, but it disappears in a minute.

Chocolate in nose is pronounced. Some hops too, yes, a hop cone smell.

Flavor is where it fails for me. Decent rich mouthfeel - to style, but the flavor profile is lacking for me - chocolate focused, lacks roast, profile is tight and limited. Doesn't build. Delivers on one stage only....chocolate. Where is the rishness of malt? Where is the hop bitterness....where is the roast malts?

This is a nice beer, but I gave samples to five friends who are just getting to IS with sample of Old Rasputin and this was thrown aside. FYI Garrett.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Completely black. One finger head that retained perfectly.

S: After a few minutes in the glass (warming up significantly) I got the chocolate malt smell that I was expecting. Before that, really no smell at all (and no, this wasn't tasted at the end of the night).

T: Very rich dark malt taste. Slightly hoppy. Very slight alcohol burn. Very nice tasting beer.

M: Very smooth and creamy.

D: No problem finishing my glass!

I am going to put the remaining pair of these into the cellar to see what happens...

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured down the center of a Left Hand balloon glass from a 12oz bottle. The bottle doesn't have a birth date but the label does note that it's a limited 2012-2013 bottling.

Appearance: A thick, jet black pour settles with one finger of creamy mocha-colored head. The head slowly recedes and leaves a halo creamy foam. Some lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, powdered chocolate, a hint of milk, bitter espresso, and some added sweetness from the alcohol.

Taste: A taste that matches the flavor; roasted malt, powdered chocolate, plenty of sweetness from the alcohol, and a fairly bitter finish. In fact, the finish isn't very smooth at all... very astringent and prickly on the palate.

Mouth: Medium body with light carbonation. I'm actually surprised by the astringent finish given the low carbonation.

A fairly decent imperial stout. I imagine the finish mellows out with time and at 10.00% ABV it should age fairly well. Overall, not my favorite chocolate stout but definitely something I'd be interested in purchasing again in the future.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

First off- this is a serious looking beer, from the viscous dense black liquid to the rocky brownish head sitting on top of it.

Numerous strong elements hit your nose simultaneously- coffee, spices, figs and dates, caramel, cocoa, maybe some heavy cream, and a platform of alcohol to give it an overriding maturity.

The palate, however, is a bit problematic. Unfortunately the bitterness, roasty astringency and alcohol cross the line into unbalance. Just a touch more residual malt would have done a world of good.

This beer came from the second sixer that I bought this season. Past years have been wonderful, hopefully next year will bring this beer back to its past glories.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a deep brown with a moderate brown/tan head. Very appealing. Smells of roasted nut and chocolate flavors.

Taste is very intense, with strong alcohol flavor throughout, especially in the aftertaste. The taste is rich in chocolate and very sweet up front, but it soon gives way to the overpowering alcohol taste.

Overall: Somewhat intriguing taste but intensity hurts drinkability.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottle poured into my duvel tulip.
A- huge head from a hard but steady pour, four fingers of coffee colored dense foam slowly fading to a very thick half inch cap. Lots of lace. Black black black, not a bit of light is getting passed this black hole. Nice legs.
S- very big nose gobs of heat and sweet. 86 percent dark chocolate and lots of blackberry and roast. Tootsie rolls come to mind.
T- chocolate liquor and sweet dark bread. Brandy soaked ripe berries. Some molasses and burt coffee. A nice nutty hint and a wisp of hops at the end. Very hot to start but calms down a bit with warming it kinda works for me thought
M- thick and viscous, syrupy and chewy but there is a nice fizzy carb that lightens it up and help keep it moving. Thins out a bit as it warms. Finishes with a smooth linger.
D- its hot to be sure but with some time on it the heat mellows out and becomes great. Green as this bottle I can't really see my self cracking another tonight. I've had far more drinkable big stouts in this abv range.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark as the night. A very thin bit of dark brown head appears after a vigorous pour, but quickly dissipates.

S: It's like sticking your nose into a bar of dark chocolate. It's a bitter chocolate scent that greets the nose-no sweet notes to be found. There's a little something extra in the nose that I'm having trouble placing, it may be some dark fruity notes, but they're at the edges.

T: Tons of roasted malt upfront with a forward dark chocolate flavor. Definitely a bitter beer. There are slight hints of dark cherries around the edges, but they definitely take a back seat to the bitter, roasted, chocolate malts.

M: Surprisingly thin for such a big beer. Not in a bad way necessarily, since it's a fairly smooth drinker, but I was a touch surprised.

O: Good, not great. I have a couple more bottles that I'll enjoy, but I'm unlikely to pick up another four pack till next year.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S: Poured from bottle brewed for 2006-07 release

A: Oh boy, is this dark or what! Beautiful, dark roast color with a matching burnt head that lingered to the end.

Smell: Nice roast malt and chocolate notes that make you want to taste it. Slight alcohol smell that tells you that you are drinking a serious beer.

T: So many different flavors hit you that you don"t know where to start. First, a dark chocolate note, followed by the burnt malt, and then the warmth of the alcohol.

M: This beer is rich from the start. I felt a burn as I retained it, but enjoyed the complex nature of this beer.

D: I would (and will) get this beer again. I have always liked Brooklyn and the praise for this beer is deserved. The ABV and the rich nature are only good for one nice beer after dinner.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

I can't add to 2500 reviews, but can note that it was not a particularly good looking beer, (no head no lace) nor was it obvious that it was a 10 %- er. Actually thought by the flavour profile was much less.

Masses of roast malts and chocolate drive an overall middling complexity experience, so while good was not great.

Won't buy again, too many other RISs competing for dollar.

3.61/5  rDev -13%

Single 12oz bottle purchased and poured into a goblet.

A: Vigorous pour leads to a tar black body with a creamy off white head that lasts as it warms down some. Filmy, chunky lacing behind it, like skeleton hands. Awesome looking beer.

S: You smell front and center the chocolate, a bitter chocolate scent and some type of nuttiness.

T: Strong coffee and alcohol and not much of the bitterness I detected in the aroma. The coffee undertones are both smooth and subtle. Vanilla starbucks coffee with boatloads of alcohol burn.

M: Pours and coats the mouth like NyQuil and a film is left in the mouth.

D: Not great but tasty. The alcohol is very out there and makes you take it slow and steady. The alcohol is too detectable, past the point of warming.

This is the most chocolate bar like RIS Ive ever tasted. If thats your bag and want to feel like eating a rich chocolate bar, this is your beer. A few friends swear by this and the Storm King but I find neither worth writing St Petersburg about.

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pitch black with a fluffy 2 finger caramel head that has very solid staying power.

S- Lots of roasted character with some lactose. Chocolate not as prevalent as I had hoped.

T- Follows nose quite well. Big roasted notes that seems to last for days. Accompanied with malt and unsweetened chocolate. Also has a little boozy kick to it. Fantastic balance, but nothing really seems to blow me away here. There does seem to be some complexity, but maybe I just prefer my chocolate stouts more straightforward with an abundance of sweet cocoa.

M- Silky, yet thick and creamy. Full body, but not at the cost of drinkability. Very rich.

O- Solid, but maybe a bit disappointed. I am a huge fan of Garrett Oliver and probably expected a bit too much as it is my first from this brewery.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a dark black, it looks just like chocolate syrup. It left a minimalist light-tan head that didn't stay around for long. The aroma is very powerful, reaching my nose after the pour, before bringing my glass up off the table. It smells of chocolate, like a chocolate milkshake. Not much else, as far as I can tell. The taste is similar, starts of very chocolatey and the chocolate sticks around through much of the sip. As I swallowed, and especially when I breathed out my nose, I noticed a sharp bitter metallic taste, which wasn't especially pleasing. The alcohol is hidden extremely well behind the chocolate background. The mouthfeel is very heavy and syrupy, but seems very appropriate for this beer. The carbonation level is nice. Though the pint went down easily enough, I couldn't drink more than 2 of these in a sitting and 1 per sitting seems more appropriate.

I liked this beer, but was a little disappointed with it. Chocolate stouts have been hit or miss with me, I love Young's but didn't like Rogue very much. This falls in the middle. The chocolate taste was not overwhelming, like Rogue's, but there isn't much else going on. It is not as smooth as Young's. The BBCS is a very nice dessert beer...actually skip the dessert and just drink this! I was a little surprised that this was an imperial stout, as I didn't notice the complexity I normally do with the style. I also didn't really notice the alcohol at all.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

335ml brown bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice. Almost jet black body, only when held to a powerful light source can any reddy hue be found. The deeply dark tanned head soon fell away to just a collar, which is always a shame in my eyes: I love the head to stay on the beer, no matter which style you are talking about. This beer (according to the neck label) is a limited bottling-winter 09-10: best before oct 2012, reviewed June 2011.

The chocolate in the taste didn't show it's self a great deal in the smell, being hidden by by other malty aromas. Chocolate rules the flavours, the alcohol is also very evident within the mouthfeel and taste, but the chocolate dominates overall.

Rich and warming, the alcohol content doesn't add a great deal for me, it is just a bit to prominent for my tastes.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Received as part of a trade with Blazer06. Enjoying a back to back tasting with the Terrapin Wake and Bake Stout on a cool night in the middle of nowhere Georgia. Notes from 12/29/08:

Beer pours black with legs that look like a dark red wine. An attractive looking beer.

I pick up, besides the obvious chocolate notes, notes of roasted coconut. This surprised me a bit, but this was repeatedly the dominant scent. There are also notes of raisins and red wine vinegar.

The chocolate flavor dominates. It is a somewhat bitter, dark chocolate, which I like. Roasted malt is prevalent on the back of the palate. Coffee flavors are more evident as the beer warms.

The mouthfeel is a little lite. Ideally, the beer would be a bit thicker, but I am reminded more of a porter than a stout. The alcohol warms the back of the throat.

The BCS is full of flavor, but the chocolate I was enjoying on the initial sips I enjoy less as the bottle nears its end.

All in all, a very solid beer. I would be happy to have more in my fridge (they are not available in CA) but I would not seek it out.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Dark, dark brown. Pours a half inch to three quarter inch dark tan head and medium lacing.

S - Dark chocolate covered cherries is the predominant smell with soft undertones of alcohol. Obviously you are going to smell alcohol with an ABV of 10.0%.

T - Almost the same as the nose but with a slight earthy, hickory sensation. Ends with a nice Arabian coffee taste.

M - A good balance of malty body and carbonation. Although it is somewhat thin for an imperial stout.

D - When I think of an imperial stout, I think if this beer. For some reason, I didn't expect a taste like this. It is a nice, balanced afternoon beer.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer didn't live up to they hype IMO. Appearance was common RIS with a slight gold dust effect in the head. Nose was was chocolate, booze and roasted barley. The taste was nice and trying to be complex but not too much to this stout overall. Chocolaty, somewhat bitter, medium hop presence for the style, some alcohol in the finish. Tasted like it could really benefit from a year or two in the cellar. Needs time to mellow, too fresh maybe. Considering it's only .6 points away from the Rasputin's average score-I don't agree. Not near as well crafted.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle in the Salthouse pub in Galway, Ireland. Poured into a Gouden Carolus goblet (which we later "borrowed").

A: Tan head of pathetic retention. Sheer black. The retention is forgiveable given the ABV.

Sm: Chocolate, toffee, alcohol. Caramel. A moderately strong scent overall.

T: Chocolate from build through to the finish. Open lacks the cream it needs. Alcohol is certainly present, but not unpleasant. Body is well built and balanced. Finish is nice. Tones of roasted barley are subtly supportive of the body.

Mf: The smoothness carries the alcohol across the palate, whilst the dryness lets the flavour come through. Well executed, particularly for a beer of this style.

Dr: Hides its ABV dangerously well. If it were half the price, I'd get it every night. Elsewise, it's just a treat for every once 'n' then. Here's a beer that boldly tries to be unique, and succeeds. Bravo.

11/02/13: I picked this up at me local HEB grocery and wanted to re-review (with truncated notes) since my palate has changed in the last two and a half years. 10% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle. Expectations are high. Served into an Avery snifter.

Served cold and allowed to warm. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Paired with Lindt milk chocolate.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a quarter finger head of khaki colour that recedes entirely inside of ten seconds, leaving no lacing behind.

Body colour is an opaque solid jet black. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks as it should. Quite within style conventions. I'm looking forward to trying it, but it's not unique or special.

Sm: Bitter dark chocolate, dark malts, chocolate malt, faint roasted barley, cream, light caramel, and burnt sugars. Maybe black strap molasses. Some very welcome pecan as well as a hint of vanilla. It does have some buried dark fruit on the back end which I'm glad isn't too prominent: grape, fig, dates. Seems sweet; there's little bitterness here.

No yeast, hops, or alcohol character is detectable. I'm really looking forward to trying this. A bold assertive aroma of mild strength.

T: Straightforward milk and dark chocolate. I wish it the chocolate was more multidimensional, but it's pretty one note. Dark malts, chocolate malts, cocoa. The roast is too buried. Molasses. Very reticent hints of grape and fig. Caramel. Complementary burnt sugars. Enjoyable pecan. A hint of vanilla. The subtlety of the flavour profile leaves it feeling more simple than it actually is; it's well balanced and nicely put together, but not quite gestalt. Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour. Sweet but not overly so.

No yeast, hops, or alcohol come through substantially.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Should be creamier. Unrefreshing. Somewhat acidic. Has a very light acridity akin to espresso. Decent body and thickness. Okay presence on the palate. Would be better softer. Suits the flavour profile generally well.

Not oily, harsh, gushed, hot, boozy, or astringent.

Dr: Drinkable for the ABV but I think it'd do well with some age. I'll happily kill the 4 pack I picked up and look forward to setting some down to cellar. A solid brew from Brooklyn and an important one historically.

Pairs well with chocolate.

Low B

03.30.14: truncated notes.

A: Pours a nice tan head with some richness. It recedes fully inside 2 minutes. Body is an opaque jet black.

Sm: Sweet. Milk chocolate, faint roast, dark malts, chocolate malts. True to its namesake. The chocolate has depth and character. I do pick up on a kiss of licorice, which isn't great to my personal tastes. Cream.

Wisps of rum, sugarcane, and even coconut are barely perceptible. It's an understated but highly enjoyable aroma of mild strength. Not boozy, yeasty, or hoppy. Sweetness is near perfect.

T: Milk chocolate dominates, but it isn't as sweet as the aroma suggested. There is ample sweetness on the open, which is soon balanced nicely by some cacao bitterness and faint roasted barley. I do notice a bit of coconut, but luckily no licorice. It's not a hoppy, yeasty, or boozy flavour profile by any means, and I find it well-balanced and very enjoyable. Varied dark malts fill out the body nicely.

It's simpler than I remember it, but still remarkably cohesive and well-built. Nice depth of flavour.

Mf: Smooth, silky, and wet, with light touches of coarseness and dryness from the roast. Well-executed overall. A biteen overcarbonated, perhaps. Texture complements the taste well.

Dr: A sipper, but a mighty enjoyable one. A well-executed stout from Brooklyn which I imagine I'll be picking up every year. It'd be interesting to see where it goes with age, as well. I'd recommend this to friends. Worth cellaring, and absolutely a must-try for stout fans. Hides its high ABV well. The 12 oz format is perfect for this beer; a greedier brewery would try to push bombers on us for a higher price per ounce. A winter treat.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance - dark tan head with moderate retention and moderate lacing around the glass. Black in color kind of like a root beer.

Smell - Burnt coffee scent right after opening the bottle. Its very aromatic. Slight sour scent in the background.

Taste - Alcohol is present and very strong. Semi sweet dark chocolate comes to mind. Sour raspberries in the after taste and a burnt flavor resides well after the first drink.

Mouth Feel - Velvety smooth almost the same feel on the palate as milk only with slight carbonation.

Drinkability - Its a very well put together beer although I cant see myself drinking too many of these. Considering the ABV and the potent taste. A sipper for sure.

Notes - All in all a very enjoyable beer. One of the better Russian Imperial Stouts Ive had. Its definitely worth a try.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Decided to give this brew a second shot this year as it continues to get great reviews. Still not impressed though.

A- Dark black with minimal head when poured slowly into a Chimay glass. Good amount of carbonation present when twirled.

S- Chocolate, dark malts, coffee and alcohol. Almost makes me hope for something in the class of WWS from the smell.

T- Not bad here, a good dark malt/chocolate flavor combined with the coffee making it a nice flavor. The alcohol is a little strong and is easily detectable giving it a bite on the finish that I would prefer better covered either in flavor or decreased percent (this is coming from a guy who likes peaty single malt neat)

M- Here is my biggest complaint on this beer. It feels like water when you dont consider the alcohol. I don't know where people get full bodied but based on its thickness and flow I honestly think it rates more as a porter, the only reason they call it a RIS is b/c of the alcohol percent. Thicken this up and I think the body will go well with the alcohol and flavor

O- I still think the potential is here due to the flavor and aroma of this beer, but it comes off as a porter to me, and a slightly burning one at that. I have my 4 park for the season and can't claim I want more.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery