1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,192 | Reviews: 2,620 | Show All Ratings:
Jarpo

Missouri

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from trade (thanks OrangeAmps).

A:Pours very dark with little to no head.

S:I wasn't getting much at all from the aroma of this one. Very very slight chocolate and licorice.

T:Where's the chocolate? I feel misled from the name of the beer. This was a pretty good imperial stout, but I was expecting more chocolate flavors. I felt the 10% alcohol was masked pretty well. I let the beer warm up a considerable amount which helped it open up a bit.

M:Very nice consistency on this one. Pretty thick with little carbonation.

O:I have three more of these to try so hopefully my palate is just having an off night. If the other bottles taste the same to me I definitely wouldn't seek this one out again.

05-16-2011 03:48:00 | More by Jarpo
aaronh

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Winter '01-'02 bottling. Essentially a black beer with mahogany highlights, it pours with a syrupy sound, a velvety look, and a toffee colored head. The head fades quickly, and leaves a mild lace on the glass. The aromas are chocolate, roasted malt, with some bourbon overtones. There are also vanilla notes and and some spiciness. Absolutely a treat. The first sip coats the tongue with a luxurious silky feeling. This beer is incredibly smooth, exactly what my ideal stout would feel like. The taste is heavy on the roated malts, with a strong chocolate note and some nice peat smokiness. For 8.5% ABV, the alcohol is not noticable. Some fruity sweetness creeps in on the finish, and the hops are present, but not overpowering. They simply present a nice bitterness on the finish, which is remarkably clean considering how thick this beer feels. This is definitely one of my favorite brews.

Don't see my notes on the '02-'03, but it was equally impressive as the previous year.

Ratings at this point: 4.5 - 5.0 - 4.5 - 5.0 - 4.5

'03-'04 version:

Still looks great, smells pretty good.

The taste is a huge let down. Taste has a strange "moldy grain" component. And as ithaca baron intimated, a bit of a burnt tobacco note on the finish. I'll be aging my remaining bottles ofr a while, but for now, the ratings reflect the current edition.

11-07-2003 00:42:36 | More by aaronh
FranklinPCombs

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Typical of the style, this beer pours jet black out of the bottle, with no light escaping through the liquid. There is a good amount of bubbly tan head, which recedes slowly in to a thin collar and a churning froth on top. The smell is quite odd to say the least. The only words that come to my mind when the smell hits my nose are salty raisinettes. There is very little scent of hops or malt because they are over powered by this off-chocolate fruity smell. The taste is more pleasant than the smell is. It is a smooth beer to drink, although it leaves a slightly chalky feel in the mouth. The taste is that of burnt malt and a little coffee and chocolate, hiding the hops underneath. The smell of this beer is strong enough to influence the initial taste as it hits your tongue. The aftertaste is very subtle roast coffee. Although there is alot of flavor to this beer, it is a bit unbalanced. Regardless, its not bad at all.

12-16-2003 08:15:04 | More by FranklinPCombs
99bottles

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Looking forward to this for a long time. Winter '03-'04. I wish I could have found an aged one. Pours black as the night itself. Small tan head that quickly....disappears? I have it at a good stout temperature. I wonder why there's no head? Anyway.
Smell: Oooooh that's nice. No hop bitterness in the nose. Faint alcohol over rich chocolate. Really pungent malt smell.
Taste: Smooth. Dark chocolate. Quite sour. No discernible hop character over the heavy chocolate malt. The label mentions imperial stouts. This seems very boderline. Very bitter aftertaste in a very different way. Not hop bitterness but more like...unsweeted baker's chocolate bitterness.
Mouthfeel is a little thin for me, especially for a limited edition winter stout. Lack of head and hops really disappoints me. Usually it takes me a long time to wash a glass that had an imp stout in it. My roomates bitch at me because I bring down pint glasses with week old sticky Storm King lace crusted from top to bottom. This beer's microscopic head didn't even stick on the sides. I guess drinkability might be ok, but I really can't see myself wanting another. Sorry, Brooklyn but I feel let down. I'll promise to try some other offerings, but to me, the flagship ran aground.

03-25-2004 19:25:51 | More by 99bottles
oldirtycaffrey

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Excellent appearance and smell -- coffee, chocolate, smokey roasts. PITCH BLACK color with a slight head. Great lacing on the pint glass I drank it from. STRONG, bitter taste. A nice beer to drink slowly and steadily. Couldn't do more than one or two of these in one sitting. Glad I tried it.

01-15-2006 00:55:56 | More by oldirtycaffrey
JamesS

Indiana

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a great dark black with good head and decent lacing. Has a slight chocolate scent, along with a bit of roasted grains, but it's not very strong. Taste has little (bitter) chocolate, little roasted grains, and little of anything beyond the heavy alcohol. Goes down all right for an imperial, a little rough. Nice to try, but nothing outstanding in it.

EDIT/UPDATE: Much better. Don't know if I had a bad batch, my taste buds are craft beer better, or something else, but I've really enjoyed this beer much more. Nice chocolate and stout tones without being too alcohol hot.

11-13-2007 00:02:47 | More by JamesS
Slynger

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Pours a jet black with a mocha head.
The smell is somewhat faint considering the ABV. Semi-sweet chocolate and roasted malts.
The taste is of the same semi-sweet chocolate and roasted malts along with some bitter coffee. Really not as much to this one as I had hoped.
Mouthfeel is full but not overly smooth, creamy, or chewy.
I was really not that impressed by this one. Not as complex as it could be for the style or ABV. Not bad, but slightly over-rated in my opinion.

12-21-2007 22:19:06 | More by Slynger
gunnerman

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured into a snifter, pours an impressive pitch black with a carmel colored head that leaves nice thick fat lace. Smell is very sweet I can smell a bit of smoke in there as well, like sweet smoked candy, the smell is very inviting and asks to be drank. The taste was a bit dissapointng, I drank this at a little colder than room temp. all I could really taste was a bit of a sweetness in there, like a tarty sweetness, I did not taste anything else, this could of been that it was very new and not yet settled, other than that I was a bit dissapointed.

01-20-2008 20:55:55 | More by gunnerman
jph424

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Bought as part of a $7.99 mix a six at Mac's.

A - Black black with a small light brown head

S - Different than I expected. Cherry, caramel, and alcohol.

T - I taste sour cherries, some brown sugary sweetness, alcohol, and some really dark chocolate hints.

M - Terrific! Full bodied silky smooth with light carbonation.

D - A terrific sipper but certainly not a beer to drink all night.

I am going to pick up another and lay it down for a year or so as this one is really fresh and I think this could use a little aging.

03-07-2008 00:42:53 | More by jph424
RoBotGod

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

The nose and the appearance were about the same all around. It smelled like black liquorish and looked like it as well. I didnt get a whole lot off the nose. It had a hot and just over the top malt aroma but not a whole lot past that. I pick up some tar smell. The tate for me as a little unbalanced. Most of what I taste is thick heavy malt and alcohol. This probably means I should have let this beer age a little but it was already a year and a half out. The finish is very sweet at first and then is wrapped up by dry bitter malt in the end. Didnt really pick up a whole lot of dark chocolate flavor.

07-08-2008 02:56:13 | More by RoBotGod
jdklks

Nevada

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Decent looking RIS. A little too light for my taste and barely any head with an aggressive pour. What there is of carbonation is a light brown mixed with tan. A lighter black bordering on dark brown, with dark amber edges. When backlit, nearly half the body is transparent. The smell is good, but not as pungent as I like it to be. Lots of roasted and chocolate malts. Some black licorice perhaps, and some sweetness. A hint of hoppiness as well.

This one is a letdown. I'm not impressed at all. Very average RIS. The chocolate is much too bitter and seems to compete with the hop profile on that account. The beer is too roasty all the way through, not allowing for any sweetness to add complexity. Super dry all the way through. Some tobacco notes. Not very complex, and not very interesting.

The mouthfeel is thicker than it looks, and even a little bit more carbonated than the lack of head would allow you to believe. It's decent, but leaves the palate and the tongue really dry. For drinkability I've averaged the taste and mouthfeel scores, because both contribute to how much I would drink of this beer, and neither is particularly outstanding. I'm disappointed, I really thought I would like this one. Oh well, on to the next!

02-16-2010 06:05:42 | More by jdklks
Reaper16

Alabama

Thanks, FernMaster!
12oz bottle - 2009 vintage - poured into a snifter.

Pours a dark cola brown. Lighter brown at the edges. It isn't inspiring me to write anything else about its body. An incremental spread of tan foam tops the beer off. A swirl of agitation yields no increase in the head. Lacing? Not really.

The aroma is very malty, as one would guess. Deep malt with a bit of, like, port running through it. Some nice chocolate tones, too; more milk chocolate than dark chocolate. Not very roasty. This smells pretty good, if unusual from the impy stouts I tend to drink.

Black Chocolate Stout is unusual on the palate, too. This isn't a bitter, roasty stout. It is malty and smooth and fairly clean. Much more malted barley flavor than chocolate. Coffee just isn't there. Ghosts of dark fruits that link up with the port smell. Some cardboard flavor shows up... this and the port quality make me think there is some oxidization going on. Anyways, different? Yes. Good? Almost.

Way too thin for an Imperial Stout. This is super-light. Oddly thin. It isn't satisfying. The only reason that this doesn't get a 1.0 is because the light flavors of the beer go well with the mouthfeel. But I am rating to style, so... The drinkabilty is consequently good. This is a stout that you want to polish off a few of in a session (though at 10% ABV you shouldn't).

I suppose that I am disappointed by this beer. It isn't to my taste. It is decent enough but if this were available locally to me then I wouldn't be rushing out to buy a 4-pack when it comes out each year.

06-02-2010 04:25:50 | More by Reaper16
NODAK

Tennessee

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Aroma is somewhat relaxed for style. Mostly of chocolate and some roasted notes. All in all though, pretty light.

Pours a black, thick hue in the glass with a fat dark brown head with decent lasting power.

Mouthfeel is very oily here. Carbonation pretty good for style. Taste has definite notes of chocolate and roasted malts in the body followed by a little bit of dark fruit. Finish has a bit of alcohol showing through, and has a lot of bittersweet chocolate. Some astringent bitterness from the roasted malts is there as well. As the beer warms, the alcohol really shows more.

This is definitely a chocolate forward, thick beer. For style, it is pretty drinkable and nice to drink until it warms some...then, not so much.

11-08-2010 02:08:38 | More by NODAK
tone77

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of chocolate and malts. Taste is like the smell, malts, chocolate, some alcohol, pretty good. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a fine quality beer.

12-04-2010 16:38:10 | More by tone77
cavedave

Winter 10/11 release.

Pours a darkest dark brown, topped by a surprising amount of light brown foam. A swirl leaves oil slicks and small bubbles on the glass. Has a look just shy of motor oil. A small skim stays for the ride.

Nice nose, some deep herbally bitter frames the expected chocolate, some roasty char, hints of coffee, even a hint of tart yeasty cherry in there.

Excellent flavor fronts the sip in this, some cherry chocolate grabs some bitter roast and syrup sweet through the start. As it warms the chocolate becomes very dominant, both sweet/candy-like, and bakers chocolate flavors. It ends with sweet chocolate dominance, cherrybomb with insufficient drier notes, resulting in an overly sweet brew, even for style, that becomes mediciny. Too bad.

Thankfully this isn't even more viscous, but it is unpleasantly resinous as the glass empties, with progressively less fine finish. Nicely low carb. best thing I can say for the feel.

Drinkability is average. Taste is better than some other oversweet offerings in this style, but far less fine than the best. Good enough to enjoy, but not to crave.

Impression: Perhaps the others in cellar will come together in future years, the oversweet diminish. No desire to revisit until then. Not recommended, with Aphrodite, and choc. Yeti, so easily avail.

02-12-2011 23:44:43 | More by cavedave
greid

On tap at the Flying Saucer Addison:
The 10% mark is clear from the first sip. It's loaded with coffee and chocolate tastes, but that's only if you can see past the heat of the alcohol. It's a great example of Russian Stouts, but I can see how a couple years set aside could help this beer.

02-24-2011 02:44:25 | More by greid
Tford

Rhode Island

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: It pours a deep black with a small, light brown coloured head

S: There isn’t a whole lot of odorants here, it mostly smells of alcohol.

T: The initial taste is a light chocolate, then the alcohol takes over. The aftertaste is a slightly bitter chocolate coffee flavour. Surprisingly, I can taste more coffee than chocolate

M: I was expecting this to have a heavy body, but it is rather light. There is a health amount of carbonation as well.

O: There is nothing horribly wrong with this beer, but there is nothing excellent about it either. I think it needs more chocolate to balance the high abv. As far as chocolate stouts go, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout is much better.

06-17-2011 05:56:34 | More by Tford
Alieniloquium

3.43/5  rDev -17.5%

12 oz. bottle poured into a CCB snifter. Bottled 8/30/2011.

Appearance - Black with a nice buildup of a mocha head. Not much room for it in this glass, but it's there. Settles quickly with some decent lacing for 10%.

Smell - Chocolate through and through. Molasses rounds it out. Overload of both aromas, really. I like it, though. Just a touch of hop in the aroma as well.

Taste - Initial smack of chocolate and molasses, but it's immediately followed by a hefty dose of hop bitterness. Not really a well-defined hop bite. Just bitter throughout, especially in the finish. Drowns out a lot of the flavors. The finish is a touch grassy with an intense roast malt finish. Almost burnt.

Mouthfeel - Not pleasant. The bitterness is intense and the beer thins out at the very end, leaving a strong carbonation and hop feel instead of a nice creamy stout feel. What gives?

Overall - First half of the beer is good, the second half is lacking. Overly hopped? Not really, as the hop flavor doesn't come through clearly. It's that burnt flavor at the end that's the most off-putting. Luckily a lot of the other flavors salvage this one.

05-17-2012 01:50:04 | More by Alieniloquium
biking4beer

Colorado

07-08 Vintage
12 oz bottle enjoyed on a cool winter day after hitting the slopes in Breckenridge.

Pours a pitch black with a nice brown head. Good lacing.

First whiff brings the obvious to the nose. Chocolate. Roasted malts. A hint of some bitter baker's chocolate. Even a touch of pine, or is that the blue spruce I just put up for a Christmas tree?

Milk Chocolate up front on the palate. Some bitter dark chocolate too. Is there lactose in this one? It has a slightly milky taste and feel. The taste ends on a tart/sour note that is slightly unpleasant. There is also too much hop bitterness in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is the highlight of this beer. Thick and creamy. Perfect carbonation.

This is a good beer, but I feel the latest incarnation is still a bit green. I have no doubt this well become a finer beer over time. If you have plenty to spare, try one now and save the rest. If you only have a couple, set them away for at least a year.

12-09-2007 23:15:18 | More by biking4beer
cabsandking

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured like straight black oil with not much of a head, some tan surface lace. Sweet dark chocolate, roasted coffee, a touch of dark fruits, and slight alcohol esters. Dry, roasted espresso, burnt malts, slightly tart fruits, prune, and quite a big bittering and fruity hop addition that maintains a good balance. Alcohol moves in midway through and is a bit hot, gets in the way of the fainter notes and pulls out a chalky astringent. The finish is bitter cocoa powder and chalky, with some anise notes. As it warms the alcohol does back off a bit and reveals some vinous characters. Mouthfeel is smooth and fairly thin for the style and for what it appeared to pour, not bad at all though. Carbonation suffers from aggressive alcohol.

12-12-2007 17:40:46 | More by cabsandking
TheSarge

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

All right, my first RIS, and it's a doosey.

Pours a finger thick chocolate milkshake looking head. This has great lacing along with a jet-black colored body.

The aroma is of coffee and semi sweet chocolate, and the ethyl is detectable in the fragrance too.

Okay, in the taste is the chocolate dominance. I'd say semi sweet to baker's chocolate.

This is a tough cookie of a beer, and is not like something I've had in a long time. Overall very enjoyable, and I'd like to pair this with a good chocolaty desert sometime.

11-25-2009 20:03:43 | More by TheSarge
DPhillips1027

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Appearance: Dark black reminds me of used motor oil only thinner, nice creamy brown head that fades quickly a little lacy on the glass.

Smell: Strong coffee & molasses with a whiff of alcohol and a hint of something lightly burnt.

Taste: Slightly carbonated with a rush of rich dark roasted coffee with bitter dark chocolate overtones, followed by the slow burn of the alcohol, finishes with the lingering taste of burnt toast.

Mouthfeel: A little to light for the flavor profile. Slightly watery expected a little thicker beer.

Drinkability: Definitely a winner year after year. Have cellared them for a year and seems to mellow a little a great choice after supper on a cold Ohio night.

11-12-2010 00:16:46 | More by DPhillips1027
CuriousMonk

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

12oz bottle poured in snifter glass. Poured a midnight black color with a small tan head, leaving trace amounts of lacing. Smell is roasty, chocolate-y, and a bit fruity. Taste is pretty nice, some chocolate and roastiness, but seemed to have more earthiness from the hops than I liked. I think this would be eliminated with aging, and would increase my score. Medium to full bodied, medium carbonation. Was a bit disappointed with this beer despite the hype surrounding this beer... I just expected more.

01-14-2011 17:57:30 | More by CuriousMonk
DarthKostrizer

Vintage Winter 10-11

Look: Black and totally opaque with just over a 1/4 inch dark tan head and no real retention. It does leave behind a slight film on the top of the beer

Smell: A little roastiness upfront traces of chocolate and alcohol

Taste: Upfront I get some roast but quite a bit of alcohol is present and this beer is a year old so it's kind of surprising to me. The beer is quite syrupy and there are very slight traces of dark chocolate notes on the back end.

Mouthfeel: Full body low carbonation a tad silky and a hint of alcohol heat

Overall: The name of the beer for me was a bit misleading because I expected big chocolate notes and they are just not here. Maybe because it is a year old so i will take a second look on this one with a fresh bottle

10-29-2011 01:42:05 | More by DarthKostrizer
2beerdogs

3.4/5  rDev -18.3%

Well, I am not sure, but I need to get another one to try. A few people who know what I like were sure that I'd love this beer.

2011 bottle

The nose and pour were beautiful. Nearly pitch black, rich brown and foamy head with a slightly vigorous pour. Ahh the aroma, chocolate, malt, and a hint of roast. Tempting!

The flavor came through with some nice coffee bitterness, but barely anything hinting of chocolate. And I was expecting it. The finish come off with roast and ends with a peat moss flavor.

The mouthfeel was full and a bit chewy, I like that.

Overall, I didn't get the chocolate component I'd hoped for. And in certain Scotch Ales or even Baltic Porters I enjoy this flavor, but it didn't work. And I believe it shouldn't have been there. Nobody else has described the same experience. Maybe the bottle was a tad funky. I'll try it again, but it was a bit of a disappointment.

06-20-2012 05:26:13 | More by 2beerdogs