Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,729 | Hads: 6,288
3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Hmm....I guess I don't agree with previous raters but here we go.

Yes, lovely dark, almost black beer. Deep tan head, but it disappears in a minute.

Chocolate in nose is pronounced. Some hops too, yes, a hop cone smell.

Flavor is where it fails for me. Decent rich mouthfeel - to style, but the flavor profile is lacking for me - chocolate focused, lacks roast, profile is tight and limited. Doesn't build. Delivers on one stage only....chocolate. Where is the rishness of malt? Where is the hop bitterness....where is the roast malts?

This is a nice beer, but I gave samples to five friends who are just getting to IS with sample of Old Rasputin and this was thrown aside. FYI Garrett.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

A: Completely black. One finger head that retained perfectly.

S: After a few minutes in the glass (warming up significantly) I got the chocolate malt smell that I was expecting. Before that, really no smell at all (and no, this wasn't tasted at the end of the night).

T: Very rich dark malt taste. Slightly hoppy. Very slight alcohol burn. Very nice tasting beer.

M: Very smooth and creamy.

D: No problem finishing my glass!

I am going to put the remaining pair of these into the cellar to see what happens...

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured down the center of a Left Hand balloon glass from a 12oz bottle. The bottle doesn't have a birth date but the label does note that it's a limited 2012-2013 bottling.

Appearance: A thick, jet black pour settles with one finger of creamy mocha-colored head. The head slowly recedes and leaves a halo creamy foam. Some lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, powdered chocolate, a hint of milk, bitter espresso, and some added sweetness from the alcohol.

Taste: A taste that matches the flavor; roasted malt, powdered chocolate, plenty of sweetness from the alcohol, and a fairly bitter finish. In fact, the finish isn't very smooth at all... very astringent and prickly on the palate.

Mouth: Medium body with light carbonation. I'm actually surprised by the astringent finish given the low carbonation.

A fairly decent imperial stout. I imagine the finish mellows out with time and at 10.00% ABV it should age fairly well. Overall, not my favorite chocolate stout but definitely something I'd be interested in purchasing again in the future.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

First off- this is a serious looking beer, from the viscous dense black liquid to the rocky brownish head sitting on top of it.

Numerous strong elements hit your nose simultaneously- coffee, spices, figs and dates, caramel, cocoa, maybe some heavy cream, and a platform of alcohol to give it an overriding maturity.

The palate, however, is a bit problematic. Unfortunately the bitterness, roasty astringency and alcohol cross the line into unbalance. Just a touch more residual malt would have done a world of good.

This beer came from the second sixer that I bought this season. Past years have been wonderful, hopefully next year will bring this beer back to its past glories.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours a deep brown with a moderate brown/tan head. Very appealing. Smells of roasted nut and chocolate flavors.

Taste is very intense, with strong alcohol flavor throughout, especially in the aftertaste. The taste is rich in chocolate and very sweet up front, but it soon gives way to the overpowering alcohol taste.

Overall: Somewhat intriguing taste but intensity hurts drinkability.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottle poured into my duvel tulip.
A- huge head from a hard but steady pour, four fingers of coffee colored dense foam slowly fading to a very thick half inch cap. Lots of lace. Black black black, not a bit of light is getting passed this black hole. Nice legs.
S- very big nose gobs of heat and sweet. 86 percent dark chocolate and lots of blackberry and roast. Tootsie rolls come to mind.
T- chocolate liquor and sweet dark bread. Brandy soaked ripe berries. Some molasses and burt coffee. A nice nutty hint and a wisp of hops at the end. Very hot to start but calms down a bit with warming it kinda works for me thought
M- thick and viscous, syrupy and chewy but there is a nice fizzy carb that lightens it up and help keep it moving. Thins out a bit as it warms. Finishes with a smooth linger.
D- its hot to be sure but with some time on it the heat mellows out and becomes great. Green as this bottle I can't really see my self cracking another tonight. I've had far more drinkable big stouts in this abv range.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark as the night. A very thin bit of dark brown head appears after a vigorous pour, but quickly dissipates.

S: It's like sticking your nose into a bar of dark chocolate. It's a bitter chocolate scent that greets the nose-no sweet notes to be found. There's a little something extra in the nose that I'm having trouble placing, it may be some dark fruity notes, but they're at the edges.

T: Tons of roasted malt upfront with a forward dark chocolate flavor. Definitely a bitter beer. There are slight hints of dark cherries around the edges, but they definitely take a back seat to the bitter, roasted, chocolate malts.

M: Surprisingly thin for such a big beer. Not in a bad way necessarily, since it's a fairly smooth drinker, but I was a touch surprised.

O: Good, not great. I have a couple more bottles that I'll enjoy, but I'm unlikely to pick up another four pack till next year.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S: Poured from bottle brewed for 2006-07 release

A: Oh boy, is this dark or what! Beautiful, dark roast color with a matching burnt head that lingered to the end.

Smell: Nice roast malt and chocolate notes that make you want to taste it. Slight alcohol smell that tells you that you are drinking a serious beer.

T: So many different flavors hit you that you don"t know where to start. First, a dark chocolate note, followed by the burnt malt, and then the warmth of the alcohol.

M: This beer is rich from the start. I felt a burn as I retained it, but enjoyed the complex nature of this beer.

D: I would (and will) get this beer again. I have always liked Brooklyn and the praise for this beer is deserved. The ABV and the rich nature are only good for one nice beer after dinner.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

I can't add to 2500 reviews, but can note that it was not a particularly good looking beer, (no head no lace) nor was it obvious that it was a 10 %- er. Actually thought by the flavour profile was much less.

Masses of roast malts and chocolate drive an overall middling complexity experience, so while good was not great.

Won't buy again, too many other RISs competing for dollar.

3.61/5  rDev -13%

Single 12oz bottle purchased and poured into a goblet.

A: Vigorous pour leads to a tar black body with a creamy off white head that lasts as it warms down some. Filmy, chunky lacing behind it, like skeleton hands. Awesome looking beer.

S: You smell front and center the chocolate, a bitter chocolate scent and some type of nuttiness.

T: Strong coffee and alcohol and not much of the bitterness I detected in the aroma. The coffee undertones are both smooth and subtle. Vanilla starbucks coffee with boatloads of alcohol burn.

M: Pours and coats the mouth like NyQuil and a film is left in the mouth.

D: Not great but tasty. The alcohol is very out there and makes you take it slow and steady. The alcohol is too detectable, past the point of warming.

This is the most chocolate bar like RIS Ive ever tasted. If thats your bag and want to feel like eating a rich chocolate bar, this is your beer. A few friends swear by this and the Storm King but I find neither worth writing St Petersburg about.

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Pitch black with a fluffy 2 finger caramel head that has very solid staying power.

S- Lots of roasted character with some lactose. Chocolate not as prevalent as I had hoped.

T- Follows nose quite well. Big roasted notes that seems to last for days. Accompanied with malt and unsweetened chocolate. Also has a little boozy kick to it. Fantastic balance, but nothing really seems to blow me away here. There does seem to be some complexity, but maybe I just prefer my chocolate stouts more straightforward with an abundance of sweet cocoa.

M- Silky, yet thick and creamy. Full body, but not at the cost of drinkability. Very rich.

O- Solid, but maybe a bit disappointed. I am a huge fan of Garrett Oliver and probably expected a bit too much as it is my first from this brewery.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a dark black, it looks just like chocolate syrup. It left a minimalist light-tan head that didn't stay around for long. The aroma is very powerful, reaching my nose after the pour, before bringing my glass up off the table. It smells of chocolate, like a chocolate milkshake. Not much else, as far as I can tell. The taste is similar, starts of very chocolatey and the chocolate sticks around through much of the sip. As I swallowed, and especially when I breathed out my nose, I noticed a sharp bitter metallic taste, which wasn't especially pleasing. The alcohol is hidden extremely well behind the chocolate background. The mouthfeel is very heavy and syrupy, but seems very appropriate for this beer. The carbonation level is nice. Though the pint went down easily enough, I couldn't drink more than 2 of these in a sitting and 1 per sitting seems more appropriate.

I liked this beer, but was a little disappointed with it. Chocolate stouts have been hit or miss with me, I love Young's but didn't like Rogue very much. This falls in the middle. The chocolate taste was not overwhelming, like Rogue's, but there isn't much else going on. It is not as smooth as Young's. The BBCS is a very nice dessert beer...actually skip the dessert and just drink this! I was a little surprised that this was an imperial stout, as I didn't notice the complexity I normally do with the style. I also didn't really notice the alcohol at all.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

335ml brown bottle poured into a Westvleteren chalice. Almost jet black body, only when held to a powerful light source can any reddy hue be found. The deeply dark tanned head soon fell away to just a collar, which is always a shame in my eyes: I love the head to stay on the beer, no matter which style you are talking about. This beer (according to the neck label) is a limited bottling-winter 09-10: best before oct 2012, reviewed June 2011.

The chocolate in the taste didn't show it's self a great deal in the smell, being hidden by by other malty aromas. Chocolate rules the flavours, the alcohol is also very evident within the mouthfeel and taste, but the chocolate dominates overall.

Rich and warming, the alcohol content doesn't add a great deal for me, it is just a bit to prominent for my tastes.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Received as part of a trade with Blazer06. Enjoying a back to back tasting with the Terrapin Wake and Bake Stout on a cool night in the middle of nowhere Georgia. Notes from 12/29/08:

Beer pours black with legs that look like a dark red wine. An attractive looking beer.

I pick up, besides the obvious chocolate notes, notes of roasted coconut. This surprised me a bit, but this was repeatedly the dominant scent. There are also notes of raisins and red wine vinegar.

The chocolate flavor dominates. It is a somewhat bitter, dark chocolate, which I like. Roasted malt is prevalent on the back of the palate. Coffee flavors are more evident as the beer warms.

The mouthfeel is a little lite. Ideally, the beer would be a bit thicker, but I am reminded more of a porter than a stout. The alcohol warms the back of the throat.

The BCS is full of flavor, but the chocolate I was enjoying on the initial sips I enjoy less as the bottle nears its end.

All in all, a very solid beer. I would be happy to have more in my fridge (they are not available in CA) but I would not seek it out.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Dark, dark brown. Pours a half inch to three quarter inch dark tan head and medium lacing.

S - Dark chocolate covered cherries is the predominant smell with soft undertones of alcohol. Obviously you are going to smell alcohol with an ABV of 10.0%.

T - Almost the same as the nose but with a slight earthy, hickory sensation. Ends with a nice Arabian coffee taste.

M - A good balance of malty body and carbonation. Although it is somewhat thin for an imperial stout.

D - When I think of an imperial stout, I think if this beer. For some reason, I didn't expect a taste like this. It is a nice, balanced afternoon beer.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

This beer didn't live up to they hype IMO. Appearance was common RIS with a slight gold dust effect in the head. Nose was was chocolate, booze and roasted barley. The taste was nice and trying to be complex but not too much to this stout overall. Chocolaty, somewhat bitter, medium hop presence for the style, some alcohol in the finish. Tasted like it could really benefit from a year or two in the cellar. Needs time to mellow, too fresh maybe. Considering it's only .6 points away from the Rasputin's average score-I don't agree. Not near as well crafted.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle in the Salthouse pub in Galway, Ireland. Poured into a Gouden Carolus goblet (which we later "borrowed").

A: Tan head of pathetic retention. Sheer black. The retention is forgiveable given the ABV.

Sm: Chocolate, toffee, alcohol. Caramel. A moderately strong scent overall.

T: Chocolate from build through to the finish. Open lacks the cream it needs. Alcohol is certainly present, but not unpleasant. Body is well built and balanced. Finish is nice. Tones of roasted barley are subtly supportive of the body.

Mf: The smoothness carries the alcohol across the palate, whilst the dryness lets the flavour come through. Well executed, particularly for a beer of this style.

Dr: Hides its ABV dangerously well. If it were half the price, I'd get it every night. Elsewise, it's just a treat for every once 'n' then. Here's a beer that boldly tries to be unique, and succeeds. Bravo.

11/02/13: I picked this up at me local HEB grocery and wanted to re-review (with truncated notes) since my palate has changed in the last two and a half years. 10% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle. Expectations are high. Served into an Avery snifter.

Served cold and allowed to warm. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Paired with Lindt milk chocolate.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours a quarter finger head of khaki colour that recedes entirely inside of ten seconds, leaving no lacing behind.

Body colour is an opaque solid jet black. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it looks as it should. Quite within style conventions. I'm looking forward to trying it, but it's not unique or special.

Sm: Bitter dark chocolate, dark malts, chocolate malt, faint roasted barley, cream, light caramel, and burnt sugars. Maybe black strap molasses. Some very welcome pecan as well as a hint of vanilla. It does have some buried dark fruit on the back end which I'm glad isn't too prominent: grape, fig, dates. Seems sweet; there's little bitterness here.

No yeast, hops, or alcohol character is detectable. I'm really looking forward to trying this. A bold assertive aroma of mild strength.

T: Straightforward milk and dark chocolate. I wish it the chocolate was more multidimensional, but it's pretty one note. Dark malts, chocolate malts, cocoa. The roast is too buried. Molasses. Very reticent hints of grape and fig. Caramel. Complementary burnt sugars. Enjoyable pecan. A hint of vanilla. The subtlety of the flavour profile leaves it feeling more simple than it actually is; it's well balanced and nicely put together, but not quite gestalt. Average depth and duration of flavour. Below average intensity of flavour. Sweet but not overly so.

No yeast, hops, or alcohol come through substantially.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Should be creamier. Unrefreshing. Somewhat acidic. Has a very light acridity akin to espresso. Decent body and thickness. Okay presence on the palate. Would be better softer. Suits the flavour profile generally well.

Not oily, harsh, gushed, hot, boozy, or astringent.

Dr: Drinkable for the ABV but I think it'd do well with some age. I'll happily kill the 4 pack I picked up and look forward to setting some down to cellar. A solid brew from Brooklyn and an important one historically.

Pairs well with chocolate.

Low B

03.30.14: truncated notes.

A: Pours a nice tan head with some richness. It recedes fully inside 2 minutes. Body is an opaque jet black.

Sm: Sweet. Milk chocolate, faint roast, dark malts, chocolate malts. True to its namesake. The chocolate has depth and character. I do pick up on a kiss of licorice, which isn't great to my personal tastes. Cream.

Wisps of rum, sugarcane, and even coconut are barely perceptible. It's an understated but highly enjoyable aroma of mild strength. Not boozy, yeasty, or hoppy. Sweetness is near perfect.

T: Milk chocolate dominates, but it isn't as sweet as the aroma suggested. There is ample sweetness on the open, which is soon balanced nicely by some cacao bitterness and faint roasted barley. I do notice a bit of coconut, but luckily no licorice. It's not a hoppy, yeasty, or boozy flavour profile by any means, and I find it well-balanced and very enjoyable. Varied dark malts fill out the body nicely.

It's simpler than I remember it, but still remarkably cohesive and well-built. Nice depth of flavour.

Mf: Smooth, silky, and wet, with light touches of coarseness and dryness from the roast. Well-executed overall. A biteen overcarbonated, perhaps. Texture complements the taste well.

Dr: A sipper, but a mighty enjoyable one. A well-executed stout from Brooklyn which I imagine I'll be picking up every year. It'd be interesting to see where it goes with age, as well. I'd recommend this to friends. Worth cellaring, and absolutely a must-try for stout fans. Hides its high ABV well. The 12 oz format is perfect for this beer; a greedier brewery would try to push bombers on us for a higher price per ounce. A winter treat.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Appearance - dark tan head with moderate retention and moderate lacing around the glass. Black in color kind of like a root beer.

Smell - Burnt coffee scent right after opening the bottle. Its very aromatic. Slight sour scent in the background.

Taste - Alcohol is present and very strong. Semi sweet dark chocolate comes to mind. Sour raspberries in the after taste and a burnt flavor resides well after the first drink.

Mouth Feel - Velvety smooth almost the same feel on the palate as milk only with slight carbonation.

Drinkability - Its a very well put together beer although I cant see myself drinking too many of these. Considering the ABV and the potent taste. A sipper for sure.

Notes - All in all a very enjoyable beer. One of the better Russian Imperial Stouts Ive had. Its definitely worth a try.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Decided to give this brew a second shot this year as it continues to get great reviews. Still not impressed though.

A- Dark black with minimal head when poured slowly into a Chimay glass. Good amount of carbonation present when twirled.

S- Chocolate, dark malts, coffee and alcohol. Almost makes me hope for something in the class of WWS from the smell.

T- Not bad here, a good dark malt/chocolate flavor combined with the coffee making it a nice flavor. The alcohol is a little strong and is easily detectable giving it a bite on the finish that I would prefer better covered either in flavor or decreased percent (this is coming from a guy who likes peaty single malt neat)

M- Here is my biggest complaint on this beer. It feels like water when you dont consider the alcohol. I don't know where people get full bodied but based on its thickness and flow I honestly think it rates more as a porter, the only reason they call it a RIS is b/c of the alcohol percent. Thicken this up and I think the body will go well with the alcohol and flavor

O- I still think the potential is here due to the flavor and aroma of this beer, but it comes off as a porter to me, and a slightly burning one at that. I have my 4 park for the season and can't claim I want more.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

07-08 bottle. Black pour with a 2 finger tan head that fades quickly to a thin ring. Chocolate and alcohol dominate the aroma with a healthy dose of roastiness and a noticeable amount of pine with a little bit of dark fruit and slightly vinous. Flavor is lots of bitter dark chocolate and coffee with lots of alcohol. A little more dark fruit and banana up front than the aroma with quite a lot of hop bitterness. Body is a bit thin for an imperial but fairly full. Loads of prickly carbonation break up the mouthfeel too. Just a bit too much alcohol coming out that seems to hide some otherwise great flavor and aroma. Some aging to mellow out the hotness would serve this beer well.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Ink black with the barest sliver of ruby at the edges. BBCS is as close to absolute black as it's possible to get... without quite getting there. The expansive crown is dark tan in color and appears sticky enough to have some staying power. There's isn't much lace, though small ragged sheets are seen.

The aroma is redolent of sweet dark roasted malt, with the usual RIS overlay of chocolate and black coffee. The former is more prominent than the latter. Hops don't make much of an olfactory splash.

My first impression of the flavor is that the alcohol is more evident than it should be. It isn't masked well at all. There's plenty of bittersweet chocolate, which is nice. It's like drinking a melted Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar mixed with espresso and vodka. Too bad it's a little too raw and burnt/charred.

This beer doesn't have the power, the depth or the complexity of Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout or Bell's Expedition Stout. Masking the alcohol more completely would go a long way toward letting the flavor profile free to do its thing. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth. No complaints there.

I don't know if cellaring this relatively fresh Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout will soften it a little, but I'll give it a try since I have five bottles left to drink.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2012 vintage a bit disappointed from what I remember fresh. Current pour is ok with head that quickly fades. Nose is alcohol forward, bit if spent coffee grinds, chocolate largely gone as far as sweet smell. Taste and feel are good but again taste is lacking from fresh version with a boozy sweetness that isn't bad but just lacking depth. Feel is thick

3.59/5  rDev -13.5%

The beer is dark brown, near black, the head is surprisingly small, beige leaving some lacing and curtains.

The smell is sweet dried plums, some sour milk (sic), burnt bread, woodsmoke, coffee and chocolate roasted beans.

The taste has the sweetness from a ripe cream sherry, roasted malt flavors and really bitter roasted seeds and coffee beans. The bitterness is rather sharp, and stays for quite a while.

This sample had low carbonation, but rather tingly small bubbles, and a dry finish.

It is a well made beer, but a bit to coarse bitterness, could benefit from a few years storing for my taste.

3.59/5  rDev -13.5%

The pour may have been nitro, but this beer took five minutes or more to settle and was like a third of a glass of beer and half head after the first poart of the pour...totally thick and creamy. The head was ultra brown. Thing of beauty. Smell was hoppy imperial stout, with that slightly stale aroma I notice in a lot of brooklyn stuff--floral hops in style, but more of dying flowers. Taste was full and similar to the aroma, add a roasty smooth malt flavor that was appealing and very drinkable, but as it warmed the stringing alcohol, and dying flowers poked through. It's not that the taste was bad, but big beers and stouts, other than alcohol, tend to have the taste (and score) bias due to the intensity of flavors compared to paler-malted brews. This doesn't mean they taste better, they just stand out more. Given the style, the flavor here was on par and average for a typically above-average style. This does not mean it tasted bad, it tasted delicious, it just lacked a certain something to put it over the top in the catergory, flavor wise. Mouthfeel was unmistakably full, and points given for the beer-head-mustache I had on the first sip. This beer slammed me on an empty-other-than-peanuts stomach, and I didn't totally realize it was 10% until too late. Half the glass was still full after about ten minutes, but I had to put her down for 20 minutes and sip slowly after that, as I started floating.

I've had better, but this is a good brew. Of note, I didn't like it in the bottle when I tried it last year, but I would get this on tap again, despite the generally 'middle of the road' ratings.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured black with a two finger, tan head. Two minutes passed before the head diminished. Terrific lacing. This is a beautiful looking beer.

Smelled slightly of chocolate. Lots of sweetness from figs and raisins. Some toasted malts.

Tasted of chocolate and sour dark fruit. Raisins. Bitterness on the back palate.

Lower carbonation and thin mouthfeel. I thought it would have a heavier mouthfeel.

Nice beer. I will drink more.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery