Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,735 | Hads: 6,339
3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

This beer is pure darkness in a bottle. Light can not penetrate it and only a chocolate mousse colored foam head let's you know you have not fallen into a black hole. Above the beer hovers an aroma of alcohol, malt, and cherry (reminds me of a port wine). Each sip of this full bodied beer begins rich and malty. Coffee, chocolate, raisin (or cherry?), and alcohol are all present. A sticky sweetness with fruity overtones are left behind.

The fruity esters and alcohol flavor were a bit of a turn off for me. However, the malty characteristics and smooth mouthfeel make this an enjoyable beer.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

I was really looking forward to my first sip of this year’s BBCS on draft until the chap next to me said it was ‘thin.’

When my glass was set in front of me, I immediately noticed a fruit smell and then a flavored coffee aroma. Not a definitive flavor but a cloudy coffee smell. The head was reasonable and had a nice creamy tone. My first sip tasted fantastic but yes it did indeed ‘feel’ thin. The alcohol is not pronounced, which did make it easier to down the entire pint. As it warmed it should have gotten tastier but the thinness was more obvious than it was cold. Overall okay, but I’ll try the bottled version when I get a chance.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz. '06'-07 bottle poured into Das Festhaus pint glass.

A: Midnight, with a mocha colored ring. No head, no lacing.

S: Alcohol, chocolate, and little roasted coffee.

T: Wow...boozy, initally. Reminds me of a liquor, Godiva-like. Leaves a burnt walnut-like taste, like if I were to eat the ashes of a campfire. Alcohol becomes even more present after it warms.

M: Silky, creamy with a heavy charred and booze aftertaste.

D: A true sipper that lacks any ability to be consumed en mass.

BBCS is a huge beer, the biggest I've ever had. More complex than Rasputin. I am going to cellar some to see how it is after the alcohol is tamed.

Thanks to kmpitz2 for this brew! Cheers

This beer is a beautiful brew. Its appearance is great. It pours a pretty small head but its a nice color. The smell is decent with a strong alcohol smell. You can really note coffee, chocolate, and booze. The mouthfeel is full and powerful. This makes it a little hard to drink. Its definately better at warm temps.

Grab a few and age it. Its pretty nice

2009 - 10/2
Appearance - Pours pitch black with a thin tan head and slight, splotchy lacing.
Smell - Roasted, chocolaty malts.
Taste - Roasted malts with cacao, some chocolate, some oak, alcohol and a bitter chocolaty finish. Not much sweetness.
Mouthfeel - Smooth, creamy medium to full body with moderate carbonation.
Drinkability - Enjoyable sipper, but quite boozy. A definite slow sipper.
Overall - Drank very early, but I didn't get much sweetness or complex chocolate flavor, more cacao dust and bitterness. I hope some age really develops this beer.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter after a long day at the job. 08-09 bottling. Pretty fresh.

A- Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout pours a very dark black. The liquid looks fairly thick and has some shiny slickness to it. This pour yielded a 1&1/2 finger light tan head that was packed tight and stayed throughout the session.

S- BBCS has a very roasty smell to it which gives off a bunch of flavors including chocolate(big surprise!)an array of malts and a bunch of dark fruits. The alcohol makes it self known and actually detracts from the other smells. I was a little off put by the initial smell but it improved with a little warming.

T- Sippin on BBCS the maltiness of this stout pretty much dominate the other flavors and the dark fruits are ever so present. Not as much chocolate as i would like. Some coffee is thrown into the mix. The hops come through in the end slightly, but make BBCS a slighty bitter tasting stout. The alcohol is present throughout the drink, but the chocolate comes out with warming.

M- This stout is quite thick and a bit creamy, very full-bodied, but rough around the edges. One and done for me. A nice warming effect from the alcohol. BBCS is quite slick and stays on the tounge for a bit.

D- The harshness of the alcohol and over abundance of dark fruits was a bit off putting and i would have trouble cracking open a second. I hope the chocolate comes out more with some age on it. Still, a nice RIS from an awesome brewery. I'm going to have to seek out this Black Ops now.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance - Pours inky black with a barely covering chocolate head that turns from a light froth to more of a real light, creamy covering. There isn't much of a head at all to lose, but what little there is stays throughout. Doesn't leave any lacing as I make my way through the glass. A bare 60W bulb can't even begin to penetrate through.

Smell - Some dark chocolate, but not in-your-face like I was expecting from the name. Sort of a dark fruit smell that I've found in other RIS's. Kind of reminds me of raisins/prunes/black cherries. There's some alcohol in the smell as well.

Taste - Wow. Now the name makes sense. While I didn't get a lot of chocolate in the nose, it was about all I could taste in the first sip. It's sort of what I might expect if I put really, really dark chocolate cocoa powder in my mouth. After that, alcohol cuts through pretty sharply, leaving my mouth dry and hot. That fruit taste comes through with the alcohol, but it's only there for a split second. The alcohol definitely blends in with the chocolate, though, even in the swallow. I can definitely see why people age this, and I'd fully expect it to get better.

Mouthfeel - Pretty smooth and kind of oily. As strange as it sounds, as it warms the feel turns a bit creamy. It doesn't leave as much of a coating as I expected, though.

Drinkability - One. It goes down fairly smooth, but the alcohol keeps it from being easier to drink. I can't imagine pouring myself a second one directly after. It's a big beer, though, and couldn't be further from the term "sessionable," which is fine. It being bigger is fine, and I personally can't imagine knocking off drinkability points for that. However, the strong alcohol taste does.

To sort of conclude, I like it, but it definitely feels like it needs aged. There's just too much alcohol present in the taste, and I've had RISs that were better.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Nose: Darker chocolate, dark ripe fruits, touch of alcohol, oats, very mild touch of yeast. It's okay, but the fruits turn me off a tad.

Not my favorite taste, with far too much dark/ripe fruits coming through; think prunes and figs. Some very sweet and oily tobacco too. The fruit combines unpleasantly with the roasted malt's chocolate offering. It's nice that there isn't a lot of cloying going on with this sweetness. I know some people who would love this, but it's not for me, especially as a RIS.

I love Brooklyn beers, but this one is just decent.

12oz poured into MS tulip. 2010 vintage

A - Pitch black with very dark brown edging when held up to light. 2 fingers fluffy medium brown head

S - Chocolate, coffee, sweet malts

T - Bittersweet, almost like baking, chocolate, medium roasty coffee, some sweet malt, and alcohol

M - Medium-full body, alcohol heat and fairly creamy

D - A sipper but two would be easy. I think it will improve and maybe become more complex with some age on it.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

'01-'02: This is a pretty good stout. The only downside is that it is not as chocolatey as I would have thought. Other than that, the aroma (coffee maybe), color (pitch black), and head (not too thick), which makes this stout a decent pick. Another solid brew from the Brooklyn Brewery.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

***2010-11 Vintage***

Thanks to wordemupg for a mini vertical of this one.

Poured from a 12oz. bottle, best before a rubbed out month in 2013.

Appearance: Pours a nice dark chestnut brown with mild red clay hues. Thick as night with 2-3 fingers of head. Settles to a fat creamy ring with some lacing.

Smell: Alcohol soaked raisins, oatmeal cookies, chunks of chocolate, dates.

Taste: Begins with a rich decadent chocolate with a nice espresso but the finishes with an abrasive and chalky chocolate flavor. Permeates for a good while but when warm it's better and has a sweet macadamia nut flavor.

Mouthfeel: Bitterness gets to the enjoyment of this. Harsh and though it smooths out, it still leaves a not so pleasant impression.

Overall: Have had this at 3 separate occasions and not entirely impressed. There are better ones out there for sure.

3.57/5  rDev -14%

Poured a beautiful jet black from the bottle with a somewhat thin, creamy tan head. I may have poured it too cold and the aroma was faint. Smelled like chocolate, coffee, and alcohol. Tasted like chocolate at first, then coffee and a hint of nuttiness. Finished chocolatey and alcoholic. The mouth feel was very nice, oily and slick. This was my first impy, so it was quite an experience. As it warmed up, the aroma was more pronounced, but toward the alcohol side. Some people seem to be of the opinion that sitting on this for a bit is best. I agree with that camp. See you next year Brooklyn BCS.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a deep dark black topped by about one finger of creamy brown head that clings nicely to the glass. Rich aroma of dark, earthy malt, with notes of peat, dark chocolate, and soy sauce. Palate up front is an odd, slightly unpleasant blend of soy sauce and dark chocolate. A transition to rich sweetness comes next, with notes of milk chocolate and prunes coming out. Finish is rich and chocolatey, with nice warming from the alcohol. Body is thick, smooth, rich, creamy, and as close to perfect as you can get. An enjoyable, if strange, experience. Perhaps my bottle was a bit lightstruck.

Winter '05-'06

My first impression is that it's not nearly as impressive as the 04-05 batch.

The same nice black body with thick head, but this one settled down much quicker than the previous batches'.

Nose is baker's chocolate with a bit of fruityness that I am just not a fan of. It's a nice nose, but a bit funky homebrew character.

Taste is full, rich, bakers' chocolate and a slightly bit toasty. Bold flavors up front but a slightly green-tasting aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is nice and thick and shallowly-carbonated, and drinkability is OK for a beer this big, but I've had much better. As an Imperial Russian Stout, it's just OK.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark black with a tan head. Not much retention (not enough for a stout), but it leaves a great lace!

S: Alcohol is really up front, with some underlying chocolate and fruity esters.

T: Dark, bitter chocolate and dark roasted espresso. The alcohol is quite assertive as well.

M: Moderate body is a little chalky. Carbonation is on the light side of moderate.

D: This one's a sipper.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

Fresh 2010-2011 poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep black with a thick brown, bubbly head.

Smell: Coffee w/ hints of alcohol.

Taste: Noticeable alcohol taste at first followed by dark chocolate malt. Each sip gets better and I begin to notice stronger hints of coffee. No sweetness but I guess that's indicative of the style.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, rich, and smooth. Little to no carbonation.

Drinkability: I must admit I haven't sampled many Imperial Stouts. I enjoyed this beer and look forward to testing it again (along w/ others).

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

’05-’06. Pours black with large creamy tan head, that gradually fades to a cover, nice lacing. Aroma is a simple blend of chocolate and roasted notes. Inital flavor has some bitter coffee and dark chocolate, this gives way to a sweet chocolates and some dark fruits. Texture is a bit on the syrupy side. A touch of warming alcohol in the finish.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Winter 08-09 bottling poured into a pint glass. Dark black color with a very thin tan head. Aromas of dark chocolate, roasted malt, and dark fruits. Taste is more dark chocolate and coffee flavors. The alcohol in this is way too noticable. Not a bad beer but there are better Imperial Stouts out there. I'd like this more if it hid the alcohol a bit better.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black opaque color. Not a whole lot of head, even with an aggressive poor. Average retention, some lacing.

3.5 S: Chocolate malt. Dark crystal malts. Not much else.

3.5 T: Deep malt backbone. Some chocolate, a bit of nuttiness. Good hop flavor, but a little unbalanced due to lack of bitterness.

4.0 M: Full bodied. Very smooth and a little undercarbonated.

3.5 D: Alright, but not my cup of tea (or beer I suppose). A little boring in terms of flavor.

This beer is rediculously similar to my brown ale (which was the first beer I ever made). If anyone likes this beer a lot, beer mail me for the recipe.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Not quite as hyped on this one as others are. I may have gotten an older bottle.

Poured to a used motor oil black with medium-thick dark brown head that lingered awhile and left okay lacing. Aroma was some baker’s chocolate, coffee and a hint of licorice, but too muted to tell much. Mouthfeel okay with a medium body, but not spectacular and the flavor was drowned out by the taste of the 10.6% alcohol coming thru.

Not bad, just not as good as I was expecting.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

poured cold from the tap near black with a nice full finger long lasting tan head with nice retention.

subtle aroma of dark chocolate, coffee and toffee in the wayback.

coffee and dark chocolate up front, mildly bittersweet, a
bit of an acidic tang after - alcohol heat also follows.

mildly bitter, big bodied, smooth.

drinkable - no not really

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Believe it or night, the pour was opaque, black as night. I detected some roasted notes as I took a whiff. Taste is heavy on the roasted notes as well, I must say I was a wee bit disapointed as my palate searched for the chocolate flavor I was promised. I did detect some of the alcohol, however. Very stoutlike, slightly dry, a lot of roasted flavor, but no chocolate? Come on! pat

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass, had a dark black color, maybe about a half inch of head, medium lacing.

Smell: roasty malt, nice chocolate aroma, slight smell of some sweet dark fruit.

Taste: very sweet malty- taste, some bitter chocolate balances it out.

Mouthfeel: appropriate.

Drinkability: fairly drinkable, a good beer to be sure.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into snifter

A - Almost jet black. Aggressive pour that led to one finger tannish head

S - Sweet roasted malts, dark bitter chocolate, and some dark fruit/fig notes

T - Very sweet. Roasted malts, coffee, dark fruits. Lots of chocolate flavor the further I get into the glass. Getting a lot of the dark fruit flavors in this one. Figs, plums, raisins, etc. Very sweet but with a dry bitter finish

M - Medium body, much higher carbonation than I expected.

O - Overall a decent RIS.Will definitely enjoy as the months grow colder outside

3.54/5  rDev -14.7%

Beautiful pour, the head retention was immaculate and the color- wow- a tan-caramel/toffee hue. The body was a perfect consistency for a stout, slightly thick towards the end of the bottle, but an all around outstanding appearence. Not neccesarily down hill from there, but the pour definitely set my expectations pretty high. The smell was cacao and roasted coffee beans, but I could smell the alcohol...but in brooklyn's defense it is 10 and a half ABV. The taste was similar with some dark fruit notes, strong alcohol kick. Good mouthfeel, what you might expect from a solid imperial stout. Drinkability is average, you only need a couple of these bad boys to get you pretty tipsy, that is, if they don't put you to sleep first.
I did score a six pack from Whole Foods NYC on 24th St, on sale for $7.99 from it's typical $11.00... so with that in mind it's the best bang for your buck in NYC, if you can cash in on this deal.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery