1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,187 | Reviews: 2,620 | Show All Ratings:
tjd112

1.65/5  rDev -60.3%

Had this at Alto Cinco in Syracuse, NY in 2007, but took notes. It was a decent looking RIS, pitch black with brown head, and the aromas of chocolate and coffee were a bit enticing. However, the taste and smell suffered a lot, it was WAAAYYY too rich and tasted like a chocolate cake that fell short, mouthfeel is just way too heavy and this beer is unthinkable and undrinkable.

01-31-2010 23:08:31 | More by tjd112
MattBrooks

I wanted to rate this lower, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not at all the beer I remember from years past and certainly not a Black Chocolate Stout. Pours pitch black with a brownish rim and absolutely no head. Had to really concentrate to get any aroma at all, and I still can't place what it is. Finally, this beer has a metallic taste; like I was drinking nickels or something. I'm curious to try it again, because this is a beer I used to like, say four-to-five years ago; but I was completely unimpressed this time.

12-09-2005 18:31:18 | More by MattBrooks
biglite351

2.42/5  rDev -41.8%

A - very dark, short but lasting foam.

S - very mild and not impressive.

T - chocolate and that is about it. Good, but like the smell, not impressive. It isn't bad, but it simply isn't as good as one would want.

M - rather tingly as if highly carbonated.

D - so so... I will pass in the future.

02-28-2010 02:28:54 | More by biglite351
swhite11

Washington

2.45/5  rDev -41.1%

Pourd from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

[A] - Poured black with a reddish mahogony hue around the edges. Head pours a tan 1 finger film that receeds very quickly. Lacing is not impressive in the least especially for an Imperial Stout.

[A] - Roasted malt acidity dominates, perhaps notes of oxidation. Slight bready notes with roasted coffee bean notes as well. Chocolate is VERY faint. Alcohol is almost non - existant but faint in the nose.

[T] - Roasted malt acidity and slightly boozy alcohol numb the palate. Chocolate is faintly preceived. Slight coffee notes make an apperance but do not develop into any substantial portion of taste.

[M] - Spritzy carbonation upfront followed by a semi - creamy malt presence. Alcohol and roasted malt acidity dry the finish.

[D + O] - Roasted malt acidity and oxidation are over the top and not pleasing to the palate. These characteristics dominate the beer. Slight over carbonation detracts from the brew as well. Alcohol is not present in the nose but is preceived as hot/slightly solvent in the taste. I can think of at least 10 (Non - Imperial) stouts that I'd rather enjoy off the top of my head. Very over - rated. Very dissappointed. I will not purchase this beer again.

12-29-2009 04:44:48 | More by swhite11
BeerCon5

2.45/5  rDev -41.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours black in color with a 1 finger coffee brown head with ok retention

The scent is of dark chocolate with dark fruit.

The taste was incredibly sour at first, bad batch? After the sourness passed I tasted some dark chocolate and notes of coffee, the high alcohol was hardly noticeable.

Full bodied, smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

This was not a very good beer due to the incredible sourness, I probably had a bad batch, if I see this somewhere else I will have to retry.

12-08-2010 19:48:05 | More by BeerCon5
ngandhi

2.48/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2002-2003 vintage

Who put highland scotch in my glass? The nose on Brooklyn is alcohol muddied by stale mocha and what the wine world would call "funk." Deep with earth yet ready to burst with hops, the stout smells like a true Russian IS mixed with the overhopped American intepretation. Either that, or it smells like the reason Russia needed its own IS -- by the time the 3abv British stouts made it over to the Ukraine, they had begun to rot.

The taste is thin. I'm immediately pressed with bitterness -- some from the hops and some from an overuse of burnt grain. The main taste isn't chocolate or any variation of chocolate malt; it's cola and alcohol. And somewhere within all of this is a shot of sherry finished highland scotch.

I would say this beer is young, but the weak flavors, low alcohol, and overall washed out quality makes me think this stuff wouldn't stand a chance in the cellar. And, if the alcohol really is under 10% in this vintage, Brooklyn does a miserable job of masking it.

Relax, relax.
ng

01-19-2004 02:54:48 | More by ngandhi
mjc410

Vermont

2.48/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

06-07 bottle - 10.6% ABV

The pour into my big ol' snifter raises a one finger light brown head that recedes quickly to a surface littered with large bubbles. Lacing is thin and sudsy. The body is utterly black, even when backlit. I'll let the head retention slip by, considering the extra alcohol. The nose reeks of roast and alcohol, with strong coffee notes and subtle hints of chocolate. Seems fairly one-dimensional, though - not much depth. The taste is sweeter, more acidic, and less roasty than I expected, or what I recall from last year. It's tasty, but here too, there's no depth. It does hide the alcohol well, though. The mouth is more than medium, but not the thickest I've ever had by far. Overall, an easy drinking strong beer, but without much to call me back. I'm glad I didn't buy a case like I originally planned...

10-30-2006 23:41:19 | More by mjc410
techdiver

2.5/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours opaque black with no head, and pretty much no carbonation. Smells like it should be tasty, but it just kind of underwhelms you with a dense flat unfulfilling taste, more coffee than chocolate. Certainly one is enough for me. I gave away the rest of the case.

10-02-2006 01:43:24 | More by techdiver
tekn0ph1sh

2.53/5  rDev -39.2%

Poured out black thick and viscous. Poured from a bottle into my Duvel glass with Maybe a fingers width of reddish brown foam. It looked like tar or thick oil in my glass.
It smelled like burnt cereal.
All I could taste was burnt grain with a metallic after taste. It was so boozey and tasted like gasoline. I really do not like this RIS and regret I have another bottle to choke down but at least it's 10 percent and will cellar well. Maybe by next year it's taste will have improved and mellowed a bit. I could not taste chocolate at all.
I would never buy this again and will think twice about buying another Brooklyn beer.

02-02-2013 07:08:46 | More by tekn0ph1sh
jvajda

2.6/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Black as night with no head.
Smell: Bitter and chocolatey notes.
Taste: It doesn't even taste like beer. It's like slightly carbonated milk chocolate. Not too bad overall, but it get's worse as it warms. This should be named "Brooklyn Old Chocolate Milk".
Mouthfeel: Creamy yet dull.
Drinkability: Half of one of these is more than enough.

12-04-2004 08:41:40 | More by jvajda
TerryW

Ontario (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm afraid I have to go against the grain here as I didn't find this to be a particularly good beer. I usually enjoy Brooklyns, but this one just came across as a poorly put together effort. Its got too many harsh extremes without a lot of the good stuff of a properly made chocolate porter.

Out of the bottle it looks beautiful. Dark walnut colour with a monster big, good looking head. The head settles to a film and offers up some nice lace as you're drinking.

Nose is dark fruit, malt, chocolate and coffee, but its marred by aggressive notes of alcohol. Smells a bit like a barley wine. Slightly syrupy.

The brew has a very sharp sour bite to it early on, and is not anything like most other porters. That softens after the beer sits for a while, but is really off-putting. Mellows out, but still fairly harsh. Tarry in character and still too boozy.

Just too disjointed. Doesn't hang together in any sort of interesting way. Not for me, definitely not an introductory brew.

12-31-2009 22:10:14 | More by TerryW
jjhbrfdds

2.6/5  rDev -37.5%

Pours deep black with little head,The smell of this stout is impressive but the taste eluded me.It reminded me of dark Chocolate cake batter,a strong coffee and everclear,the alcohol was straight up hot,making the drinkability poor,I will put a little age on this one and revisit after proper aging,I may have had a hot bottle

01-31-2010 23:20:19 | More by jjhbrfdds
bossmanjg

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

This was the first Imperial Stout that I have had, and feel that I may want to stay away from this style of beer.

Appearance: It poured black, aesthetically not bad for a stout beer.

Smell: A mixture of chocolate, some vanilla with hints of coffee. And the part that I think turned me away was the alcohol scent. It was just too strong for me. I don’t feel that beer should smell like the alcohol.

Taste: The taste was strong on the chocolate, more bitter dark chocolate that milk.

Mouth feel: Average, kinda watery.

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, not a session beer. I can’t see myself drinking this brew on any occasion.

I guess you can’t like al the styles of beer…. Too bad for me right…

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

03-02-2006 01:01:15 | More by bossmanjg
ehammond1

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for sharing Sam!

Jet black pour with a light brown, tan head that sticks around, then leaves lots of lacing down the glass. So far, so good.

Sharp alcohol is the first thing I notice unfortunately, and I have to search for the chocolate. When I do find it, it's somewhat sharp and too sweet, not rich and decadent like other wonderful chocolate stouts. There's some nice roasted malt and coffee elements that try to balance it out, but it's dominated by alcohol and over-sweet chocolates.

Sharp and stinging bittersweet chocolate (like cocoa powder), alcohol bite, something metallic, and mild roast. Not a lot of complexity, and not a lot of good.

Medium to thick mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Too much alcohol and the chocolate does not come in an accessible, enjoyable form. Too bad.

09-10-2011 22:51:00 | More by ehammond1
Denali

2.65/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Package: 12-ounce bottle. Winter 2002-2003 vintage.

Appearance: Looks like black mud as it pours out of the bottle. Thick. Black. Thick tan head. So thick not even Superman can see through this beer.

Smell: Strong alcohol and chocolate aroma. Somewhat bready as well.

Taste: Very bitter and alcohol flavor up front. Tangy almost lemon-like zesty flavor is also present. There is an “odd” flavor that is present in the middle of the flavor timeline that I do not like but I can’t quite identify what it is. I just don’t like how it mixes with the other flavors. Chocolate malt flavor is also present. Roasted and burnt espresso aftertaste. Strong hop bitterness also present in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick and extremely chewy.

Drinkability: Super strong bitterness and alcohol flavor detracts from the drinkability.

Comments: For me it was not as good as it looked. I enjoyed the chocolate malt and espresso flavors but that “odd” flavor is just not my thing. Thank you Keith (stegmakk) for the bottle.

03-25-2003 17:09:43 | More by Denali
mtnbeer87

2.65/5  rDev -36.3%

A-Poured black with tan 2 finger head. Looked delicious.

S- smelled lightly of chocolate. Alcohol smell was overbearing.

T- first sip was pretty bad imho. The alcohol taste reminded me of a cheap "ice" beer.
I dis notice as it got warmer that the alcohol didn't stand out as much and I was delighted as the chocolate, toasty' and liquorice taste came through.

M- mouthfeel was good. Pretty heavy, which I like.

O- wasn't very impressed but at the same time i'm new to this and it may be that the alcohol taste should stand out as it did. Loved the look of this stout but smell and taste was had a bit more alcohol presence than I like.

10-23-2012 01:30:25 | More by mtnbeer87
beeroclock

United Arab Emirates

2.68/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours a deep dark black, little to no head, no lacing, just black as night. Smells of chocolate and coffee, maybe some nuts. tastes are muddled, but definitely too much of the burnt coffee present with the taste and dominant in aftertaste. Some chocolaty alcohol in there, but the burnt coffee is too much for me. I gave away 3 of my 6 pack.

12-21-2007 17:25:51 | More by beeroclock
JerseyKirk

2.7/5  rDev -35.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This was my first imperial stout so my review might be a little bit off due to the higher alcohol content.

A: Poured a rich dark mocha 3 finger head. Deep rich black malt. Ultra dark. Head retention is great for such high alcohol content. Lasted long with excellent lacing. By the end the top of the glass still held laced head.

S: Dark chocolate, dark malt, little bit of alcohol. I really like how sweet the dark chocolate smells. Deep rich cocoa that lasts.

T: Deep rich cocoa and dark malts. Alcohol is definitely there and warming. The finish lingers with espresso and cocoa. Not bitter at all. Alcohol flavor really reduces the grade.

M: Creamy but not as much as Guinness. There is a full bodied almost thick and chewy feel but not entirely there. The more is swish it around in my mouth the thicker and more enjoyable the feel is.

D: Although some stouts I really enjoy, this isn't one of them. Making something high alcohol without blending it more the alco flavor is too paramount. The beer flavor should be the high note not the low note against the alcohol. Maybe its me I love the chocolate and espresso notes but the alcohol doesn't make me want to have another.

03-18-2011 22:35:52 | More by JerseyKirk
JamisonM

Arizona

2.73/5  rDev -34.4%

A: black as night rich looking mocha head pretty good looking beer for the style

S: I did not expect this much alcohol on the nose also getting some dark chocolate and some acidity also roasted notes are there as well.

T: Very highly roasted alcohol is there in the taste not masked too well not that much chocolate. Not a smooth beer at all. I can taste some hops as well.

M: Medium body with med carbonation

Overall: There is no chocolate in this beer except chocolate malt I think this beer is a bit misleading. Not too much chocolate taste to the beer either. I also find the beer too roasty for my tastes.

05-10-2011 22:24:41 | More by JamisonM
tigg924

Appearance: 1 inch head, black, with a light cocoa looking head

Smell: burnt malt, sugar, and dark chocolate

Taste: chocolate syrup, burnt malt, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: sweet, dry, full bodied, chalky

Drinkability: One is enough for me, especially with the high ABV. To me this drinks way more like a Baltic Porter than a RIS. It is very sweet, but not in a good way and the alcohol is too pronounced.

06-12-2009 14:25:58 | More by tigg924
Anthony1

Colorado

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

poured into a snifter.

poured like oil. it was black and creamy. had a moderate head that was chocolate brown, lasted a short while, then melted into the beer.

smelled of dark roasted malts loaded with chocolate and coffee. chocolate was the definate leader of the pack with a close finish to the malt then the coffee.

the flavor was filled with bittersweet dark chocolate that was melted over a camp fire, smoke infused.

very full and very thick. was ok, but not a major fan of dark dark chocolate. was a bit hard to handle.

08-20-2009 16:39:20 | More by Anthony1
DawnL

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

Brown lacing atop a jet black brew.

There isn't very much on the nose.

The palate has some cocoa and a wooden hops character. It doesn't seem to go with the style.

The finish is very bitter and not very chocolatey. There is a chalky character from the cocoa?

I found this brew rather disappointing.

09-16-2009 15:52:47 | More by DawnL
treehouse

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

creamy and milk chocolatey right when the cap is popped...a bit of tobacco and dark stone fruits on the nose.

malty and kinda tangy with bitter chocolate overtones in the mouth...over roasted coffee beans..the odd tanginess is slightly fruity and i feel like it doesn't belong here...long lasting...

as it warms it doesn't get any better...

02-24-2011 01:37:40 | More by treehouse
ElizabethCraig

Indiana

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

Split a bottle of this with my husband on 10/1/2011.

Lets start this review with my kind of apology/explanation.

I really do like stouts! I don't always like Russian Imperial Stouts, but generally I do like stouts!

Really!

Ok, here goes:

The appearance was dark black with a slightly tan head. There was more head in my husband's sample glass than in mine, but that happens sometimes.

Scent: dark, acrid, slightly sour. I'm slightly concerned at this point, but my mind is still open.

Sigh, the taste is where I just didn't get it.

Dark dry and musty that fades to a dark very acrid/burnt chocolate. Ends slightly sour on my palate. Not sweet, not sour, really *ashy* like extremely charred coffee.

Body is medium to rich. Very nice texture to it.

I'm not a fan of this beer at all. When I drink overly dark roasted poor quality coffee, I start getting pain in my hands and knees (my bad spots) and this beer flared up these tender/painful points just like overly charred poor quality coffee.

I'm not giving up on the style since generally I like stouts and I like some RIS's, but this is not the beer for me.

10-02-2011 17:05:11 | More by ElizabethCraig
blakesell

2.78/5  rDev -33.2%

Winter 05-06 bottle right after they ramped up the alcohol, year old 12oz bottle poured into a Belgian tulip.

Appearance- Solid black with a thin head of tan foam. Lacing is like glue and leaves legs on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Chocolate and espresso with much roasty malts and some hop bitterness. A bit of lactose creaminess in the nose, but not too much. The bulk majority is the perception of milk chocolate.

Taste- Wow, everything that was previously great about this beer is now gone. The big chocolate flavour is now just a lingering memory. Alcohol burn and hop bitterness is most of what is left. The smooth creaminess is gone and now we have a very difficult to drink stout in our glass.

Mouthfeel- Sticky and cloying. Creaminess that should be there is hardly there at all. Bittering hops seem to have replaced this and make this much less of an enjoyable brew.

Drinkability- Nearly a drain pour. For some reason when they ramped up the alcohol they decided not to taste test the batch and this beer has suffered. This year's batch (06-07) is much better still having the big alcohol but retaining it's previous chocolate character.

01-08-2008 01:42:29 | More by blakesell