Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

robertaddis, Nov 25, 2012

I wanted to rate this lower, but just couldn't bring myself to do it. Not at all the beer I remember from years past and certainly not a Black Chocolate Stout. Pours pitch black with a brownish rim and absolutely no head. Had to really concentrate to get any aroma at all, and I still can't place what it is. Finally, this beer has a metallic taste; like I was drinking nickels or something. I'm curious to try it again, because this is a beer I used to like, say four-to-five years ago; but I was completely unimpressed this time.

MattBrooks, Dec 09, 2005

Damian74Shensky, Dec 08, 2012

probert, Sep 06, 2014

bendukes86, Jan 25, 2014
2.42/5  rDev -41.7%

A - very dark, short but lasting foam.

S - very mild and not impressive.

T - chocolate and that is about it. Good, but like the smell, not impressive. It isn't bad, but it simply isn't as good as one would want.

M - rather tingly as if highly carbonated.

D - so so... I will pass in the future.

biglite351, Feb 28, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Pours black in color with a 1 finger coffee brown head with ok retention

The scent is of dark chocolate with dark fruit.

The taste was incredibly sour at first, bad batch? After the sourness passed I tasted some dark chocolate and notes of coffee, the high alcohol was hardly noticeable.

Full bodied, smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

This was not a very good beer due to the incredible sourness, I probably had a bad batch, if I see this somewhere else I will have to retry.

BeerCon5, Dec 08, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -41%

Pourd from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

[A] - Poured black with a reddish mahogony hue around the edges. Head pours a tan 1 finger film that receeds very quickly. Lacing is not impressive in the least especially for an Imperial Stout.

[A] - Roasted malt acidity dominates, perhaps notes of oxidation. Slight bready notes with roasted coffee bean notes as well. Chocolate is VERY faint. Alcohol is almost non - existant but faint in the nose.

[T] - Roasted malt acidity and slightly boozy alcohol numb the palate. Chocolate is faintly preceived. Slight coffee notes make an apperance but do not develop into any substantial portion of taste.

[M] - Spritzy carbonation upfront followed by a semi - creamy malt presence. Alcohol and roasted malt acidity dry the finish.

[D + O] - Roasted malt acidity and oxidation are over the top and not pleasing to the palate. These characteristics dominate the beer. Slight over carbonation detracts from the brew as well. Alcohol is not present in the nose but is preceived as hot/slightly solvent in the taste. I can think of at least 10 (Non - Imperial) stouts that I'd rather enjoy off the top of my head. Very over - rated. Very dissappointed. I will not purchase this beer again.

swhite11, Dec 29, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

06-07 bottle - 10.6% ABV

The pour into my big ol' snifter raises a one finger light brown head that recedes quickly to a surface littered with large bubbles. Lacing is thin and sudsy. The body is utterly black, even when backlit. I'll let the head retention slip by, considering the extra alcohol. The nose reeks of roast and alcohol, with strong coffee notes and subtle hints of chocolate. Seems fairly one-dimensional, though - not much depth. The taste is sweeter, more acidic, and less roasty than I expected, or what I recall from last year. It's tasty, but here too, there's no depth. It does hide the alcohol well, though. The mouth is more than medium, but not the thickest I've ever had by far. Overall, an easy drinking strong beer, but without much to call me back. I'm glad I didn't buy a case like I originally planned...

mjc410, Oct 30, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2002-2003 vintage

Who put highland scotch in my glass? The nose on Brooklyn is alcohol muddied by stale mocha and what the wine world would call "funk." Deep with earth yet ready to burst with hops, the stout smells like a true Russian IS mixed with the overhopped American intepretation. Either that, or it smells like the reason Russia needed its own IS -- by the time the 3abv British stouts made it over to the Ukraine, they had begun to rot.

The taste is thin. I'm immediately pressed with bitterness -- some from the hops and some from an overuse of burnt grain. The main taste isn't chocolate or any variation of chocolate malt; it's cola and alcohol. And somewhere within all of this is a shot of sherry finished highland scotch.

I would say this beer is young, but the weak flavors, low alcohol, and overall washed out quality makes me think this stuff wouldn't stand a chance in the cellar. And, if the alcohol really is under 10% in this vintage, Brooklyn does a miserable job of masking it.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Jan 19, 2004

harryragg, Nov 21, 2013

Doppelbockulus, Jan 27, 2012

hefehead12, Jan 16, 2012

LJWalker, Feb 08, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours opaque black with no head, and pretty much no carbonation. Smells like it should be tasty, but it just kind of underwhelms you with a dense flat unfulfilling taste, more coffee than chocolate. Certainly one is enough for me. I gave away the rest of the case.

techdiver, Oct 02, 2006

BMBeerhead, Jan 10, 2012

DuffDaddy, Jul 12, 2013

rmcnamee, May 15, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -39%

Poured out black thick and viscous. Poured from a bottle into my Duvel glass with Maybe a fingers width of reddish brown foam. It looked like tar or thick oil in my glass.
It smelled like burnt cereal.
All I could taste was burnt grain with a metallic after taste. It was so boozey and tasted like gasoline. I really do not like this RIS and regret I have another bottle to choke down but at least it's 10 percent and will cellar well. Maybe by next year it's taste will have improved and mellowed a bit. I could not taste chocolate at all.
I would never buy this again and will think twice about buying another Brooklyn beer.

tekn0ph1sh, Feb 02, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours deep black with little head,The smell of this stout is impressive but the taste eluded me.It reminded me of dark Chocolate cake batter,a strong coffee and everclear,the alcohol was straight up hot,making the drinkability poor,I will put a little age on this one and revisit after proper aging,I may have had a hot bottle

jjhbrfdds, Jan 31, 2010