Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,723 | Hads: 6,262
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

There is a reason this is a top rated beer. It is everything a big, strong, imperial stout should be. Pours as black as possible with a huge cascading espresso colored head. Served at a lovely 65 degrees. 03-04 vintage.

Smells of chocolate, smoke, malts, chocolate, figs, chocolate....you get the idea. The taste is something to behold. Just a massive attack of dark burnt malt, creamy chocolate, oak, and alcohol. Hopped up like crazy but it works with all the dark stuff going on. I equate the taste to the realm of a single malt scotch. It should be sipped, savored, and revered.

Just incredible. The other 5 of these lovelys are going to the cellar for a while. Thanks to JahNoth for the hookup. (706 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance- Almost menacing. Jet black with a fluffy brown head. Truly a thing of beauty.

Smell- Roasted with a hint of sweetness. Coffee and chocolate mostly with some dark fruit flavors lurking deep in the background.

Taste- Dark, dark chocolate and cocoa powder, with a bittersweet taste with roasted coffee flavors with a slightly hopped quality.

Mouthfeel- Warm and thick. Very full-bodied.

Drinkability- The alcohol can be a bit much at times but it ages exceptionally well as a result and mellows over time. Upon release it's pretty forceful and may scare away the faint of heart but after you've had a glass you'll never be the same. Definitely works well as an after dinner beer either with deserts or by itself. If you're a beer cocktail kind of person, drop a scoop of ice cream in and make a float. (814 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Someone spiked my chocolate milk shake with whiskey!

Appearance is Black as night during a full eclipse.

Sweet chocalatey aroma like I've never smelled before. You'd think that Hershey brewed this beer instead of Brooklyn.

Taste is nothing short of amazing. Chocolate meets sharp alcohol in an amazing balance!

Mouthfeel is incredibly full and creamy.
Drinkability is up to you. It's a very big beer but I say bring it on! My friend had this on tap in his house and we worked on kicking it for a while. It was hard work but we did it.
Try it with a brownie and some vanilla ice cream. (601 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Now I have the 2006 - 2007 vintage.

I must say, I much prefer this beer fresh over when it is aged. I want my chocolate malt flavors and aromas to be in-your-face, not mellowed. Drinking Black Chocolate Stout is always a delicous experience. I really love this beer, as I tell everyone within hearing distance. (313 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours black as night with no light penetration. Creamy, fine light brown head. Supreme lacing and decent retention.

Smells like hoppy, malty cocoa pebbles cereal. Fruitiness is there as well - strawberries, currants and raisins. Smells good fo sho.

Not as thick and rich as I was expecting, not necessarily a bad thing. Very roasty, pushes the roasty cocoa bean limit but never crosses the line (is there one?!) Coffee notes are noticeable as is the hop bitterness. Hides the ABV quite well and I like the fact it is not as sweet as TenFidy and Yeti. Great drinking RIS straight off the line, no aging necessary. A very well crafted beer, just delicious. (656 characters)

'02-'03 Bottling

I had purchased a few of these back in March, and back then thought it was a bit harsh. Now, after sitting in the basement for 8 months, I decided to crack one open, and was amazed at the transformation.

It poured a deep, inky BLACK (Naturally!), with a fluffy, medium brown head. The aromas were chocolate and espresso, and the taste was sublime! Chocolate, espresso, prune, port, grapefruit, with lots of wispy lace. The mouthfeel was smooth and medium creamy. It finished with espresso and citrus, with a hint of cocoa powder.

OUTSTANDING! (568 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Very dark, with a thick, creamy, tan head. Beautiful lacing to the end.

S: Dried fruit, caramel, and dark malt.

T: Dominated by malts, with a complex range of roasts all standing out individually and blending well: bready, caramel, toffee, and a hint of vanilla with coffee and chocolate coming through at the end. Perfectly balanced in bitterness and residual sweetness. I couldn't help but think "liquid cake," but not candy-sweet. No hot alcohol at all.

M: Creamy and rich body.

D: Incredibly drinkable for 10% ABV. Could be dangerous ;)

I've never been one for the RIS style, but after this beer has encouraged me to explore the style a lot more. A great beer for cold weather. (689 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Deep brown, nearly black. Head is half a finger thick, the color of toasted wheat bread. Lacing was minimal.

S: Coffee, chocolate, raisins, and more dark chocolate.

T: Sweet malts married to acrid burnt grain. Dried apricot. Old coffee. Hops? Maybe some bitter-citrus hops notes in the finish as an afterthought.

M: Smooth, lightly carbonated, and creamy. A little alcohol burn. Buttery diacetyl.

O: Not the epitome of the style, but pretty close -- and a great buy at the price. I see myself buying a few more of these soon. (532 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours black with a creamy brown tan head. Vinous aroma consisting of roasted grain, milk chocolate and alcohol. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and coating. It's thick and sticky on the lips. Taste is simply amazing. Starts off with roasted grains and sweet chocolate and molasses. Super malty. Traces of caramel. Alcohol and dark fruit flavors convert to an almost rum-soaked cherry flavor that's rather intriguing and appears near the back. Alcohol is apparent, yet not overpowering. Best enjoyed slowly and as a sipper.

Special thanks to AKSmokedPorter for the opportunity to enjoy this masterpiece. (598 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Yum. Great aroma of molasses and chocolate. A very creamy head that lasted a long time with great lacing. Black color, of course. There is a moderately acidic intial flavor that lessens a bit. Palate is medium-full, syrupy with a moderate alcoholic finish. Finish is loooong. Can't wait to see what a year in the cellar will do for this. This is really an outstanding double stout. Probably my favorite Brooklyn beer in the bottle. (431 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

12 Fluid oz 10.6 ABV. Served to cold. From a cold fridge in a cold house. Last month's heating bill, $300.

Thick brown head off of a stiff pour into an over-sized snifter. Would you believe it is black? Darker than a black steer's tuchus on a moonless prairie night. The bulk of the head dissipated quickly with minimal lacing but the head was present till the end.

Raisins, ripe plums and alcohol in the nose. Wafts of chocolate becoming far stronger as the beer warmed.

Cigars, high alcohol and candy-sweetness hit the taste buds. Bitter chocolate and burnt malts rest squarely on the tongue. I can taste that crusty brown sweetness from a raisin and from the corner of the raisin box. The symphony of flavors round out nicely as the beer warms.

A swallow washes over your tongue and the mouthfeel continues to swell like a tsunami over the higher ground. You can't understand where it's all coming from and why it doesn't recede. Sticky, but not too, considering its royal lineage.

i love It. (1,001 characters)

12 oz bottle poured into New Belgian chalice
Opened in honor of Garrett Oliver's NY Times editorial today (10/19/07)

A - Pours not unlike motor oil - a rich and incredibly dark, slow-moving ale. Color is of dark chocolate, nearly black with a thin layer of light brown head. This beer is opaque. Lacing is nice when tipped, but non-existent otherwise.

S - Scent is reminiscent of bitter dark chocolate and espresso beans. A slight hint of burning alcohol. Mild hop activity. A rich, sweetness develops in complement to the breaded malt flavor.

T - Dark chocolate (hence the beers name I suppose) with intense roasted espresso flavors whose bitterness is confusing: is it the coffee/dark chocolate flavors that leave the bitter aftertaste or is there a strong hop presence that I am missing? Sweet, dry breaded malt. A light touch of juicy, dark fruit, plums perhaps. A complex beer that doesn't disappoint.

M - Full bodied with a molasses effect on the tongue. Slightly drying and bitter aftertaste with a touch of alcoholic burn.

D - A strong beer that shows its power well into the 12 ounces. Incredibly delicious, and worth seeking out. Just make sure you enjoy it with a meal. (1,189 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours black as night with one finger of tan head with good (but not great) retention. Aromas of sweet roastiness and lots of very dark chocolate, but with a good amount of alcohol holding it back from perfection. Flavor-wise, the alcohol constitutes no such problem. If anything, the high abv helps carry this multi-layered masterpiece to every last taste receptor. Super full body is very creamy and smooth. Rich, concentrated beer whose full nature takes nearly a minute to completely unfold after sipping. A great value. Beautiful stuff. (540 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12-oz bottle into porter/stout glass

A - 2 fingers of dark tan over a body of pitch black, great lace

S - rich chocolate, notes of coffee, malty sweetness, dark fruits, touch of alcohol; excellent

T - an amazingly complex blend of flavors; black coffee, rich chocolate, roast malt bitterness, booze, dark fruitiness; roast malt and chocolate and alcohol warmth combine for a pleasant aftertaste

M - super smooth, chewy, thick full body; medium/high carbonation

O - This is an excellent chocolate/imperial stout. My beer-illiterate wife picked this up for me; she's awesome! (578 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

This is one of my favorite stouts which is darker than the night sky. You can't see through this brew, even while holding it right up to a light! Not a huge head, but enough at the pour to get some great aromas.

I don't have the most developed sense of smell, but I definitely pick up the high alcohol profile. A big malt essence jumps out at me along with some nutty notes. Very enticing!

The smell and the taste go hand in hand for me. I pick up the alcohol, but it's not over powering. I don't pick up a huge chocolate flavor, but I think it comes through in the mouthfeel.

Nice and thick mouthfeel. You know your drinking a big bold stout with every sip. Coats your mouth with flavor, but does not linger... which I enjoy!

Of course with a big beer like this, "session" should be avoided! But saying that, it's such a tasty brew your glass becomes half empty faster than you'd like.

Overall a wonderful winter time warming stout. Highly recommended. (959 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

An excellent beer in my opinion. This beer is one to be respected due to it's high ABV (10.1%). Not an easy one to follow, so I usually make this one the last of the evening. The hops nicely round out the maltiness of this full bodied Imperial Stout. I have the good fortune to have it available on tap at two of my favorite bars. (330 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I'm drinking a year old aged bottle purchased in CT back in March 2008. Aged exceptionally and highly recommend buying a six pack and storing a few to consume in a year or two.

A: Dark as a steer's tukas on a moonless prairie night. (The Big Lebowski)
S: Colombian coffee, chocolate, and underlying notes of toffee and vanilla.
T: Once again, coffee, chocolate, and toffee.
M: Nice, silky, smooth, and full. Definitely mellows and smoothens up around the edges. ABV seems to be a little more pronounced due to aging.
D: Lovely. I want to age my other two for at least a year and see how they compare in 2010 and 2011. (Damn, I can't believe I'm typing decade numbers for the 2000's already!!!) (694 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Winter 07-08 poured into a pint glass.

Pours an absolutely jet black(maybe the classic black bottle has something to do with it, but at least to me, this looks like shear squid ink) with a pretty decent size head that is almost a light orange; it's the closest that a beer has come to looking like a Halloween Oreo. Pretty intimidating looking beer. The head dissolves at a steady but not alarming rate leaving a pretty much solid, glass encircling lacing.

Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate. Probably should have expected that with the name of the beer (hereee's your sign) but this is worth re-emphasizing. It smells like a ton of chocolate. There's some coffee in there as well, and i'm afraid to say it, but there's a slight hint of cooked ground beef. I'm not sure if I like it or not, and I'm not sure if the only reason I smell it is I've spent a good two minutes smelling this beer; I'm just saying this is probably one of the more interesting stouts, at least on the nose, that there are.

Milk chocolate, then an orange slice and a shot of espresso, in that order. There is a ton going on in this beer, and to be honest, I'm not sure just one review will do it justice. There is even some chocolate fudge ice cream bars going on deep in the finish that is really nice. And now there's even some citrus fruit going on. Yeah, this is one beer with a ton going on with it. And now the citrus fruit I had is now coconut/pina colada. And now I've got some banana. Frozen banana...from a chocolate stout? I believe so. Wow. Really nice mid-palate, that's where I'm getting a lot of the banana/coconut/pina colada, really nice finish with the chocolate absolutely exploding. This is a beer I could drink an entire case of and still not get everything. Let's move on before I lose my mind.

Well, let's see what we've got going on in the mouthfeel. There's a lot going on, it pretty much grips the entire palate. Each region has a different flavor going on(the mid and side have the banana/coconut, the rear palate has the chocolate/espresso intensification, the front of the palate has milk chocolate which then switches to coffee which then switches to a combination of the mid/side palate flavors and the rear palate/finish flavors. So in short, yeah, this feels pretty good. Smooth as anything, an absolute epic in each sip with more going on than an episode of Lost.

Drinkability, well, yeah, it's almost 11% ABV, so it can't be that high. It's a sipping beer that almost defines sipping beers. There's so much going on that the enjoyment of one of them is as much enjoyment as two or three of any other beer(with the added bonus that the alcohol is almost equivalent to the aforementioned beer that you drink two/three of). There's a lot going on, and it only gets more complex as it gets warmer. But with it's high ABV, and the time it takes to drink one, it's hard to imagine drinking more than one in a night; this compares with any of the great, complex after dinner beers and is something that the thought of aging brings delusions of grandeur. Probably the most complex fresh beer I've ever had and an absolute winter staple from now on. (3,185 characters)

From notes:

This beer pours motor oil black. Great chocolate (duh) and roasted malt aromas.

Taste follows the nose... bitter cocoa, coffee (expresso?), roasted malts. Caramelized honey sweetness. No real alcohol noted save for warming on the back end.

Thick, creamy, and delicious. A great RIS.

Great brew, all things considering. This is a masterly crafted brew. More, please! It's times like this I'm glad I live on the East Coast.

EDIT: Come back to bump my scores. I've had a lot of stouts since I reviewed this one and this one is easily one of my all-time favorites. Can't beat it. (593 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

I drank this beer in a standard clean pint glass on a cold evening after dinner. Dessert beer FTW!

Appearance - Pitch black at first glance. Dark brown hues can be seen when held up to the light. Nice thick light brown head lingers for a bit.

Smell - Toasted dark chocolate malt. Mouth watering to say the least.

Taste - True to it's aroma and it's name, nice toasty dark chocolate with some light nutty undertones. This is exactly what I hope for in a Russian Imperial Stout. As close to perfection for this style as I've had.

Mouthfeel - Mildly carbonated, which suits the style. Thick and heavy; a bit oily.

Drinkability - This is a bit of a tough brew to drink. It's very heavy, and for me, one is enough in a single sitting...definitely no more than two. Of course, this is to be expected with such a rich beer with a high alcohol content like this. As far as overall drinkability, I could drink one every night. This is a great beer!

I have to say, this is one of my favorite beers, definitely my favorite Russian Imperial. Another win from Brooklyn Brewery! (1,070 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

This was a nice experience. I was happy I had chosen this even though it was a little early in the year for me to indulge in an imperial stout. The color was black as pitch although the head was not very impressive. It did lace down the side of the glass nicely though. The smell was, as is to be expected, that of chocolate, coffee, sweet brown notes of all varieties as well as burnt and toasted malt. Yum! The taste pulled through with all the flavor the smell let on. The carbonation was a little low but this stout went down easy. Give it a spin if you have the chance. (574 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

A: Black as night with two finger brown head with nice lacing.

S: Spruce and pine hops upfront, sweet malts and hints of dark coffee.

T: Spruce, chocolate, smoky malts, pine, toffee, molasses, and licorice. There is a lot of flavors in this beer and all are delicious.

M: Smooth and creamy and thick like syrup with a long warm, bitter and clean finish.

D: This a beer that I would never turn down. The alcohol is evident but balanced well by all of the other flavors. This is a great sipper for after dinner. (513 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Served in out of the bottle into a pint glass.

A: The appearance is pitch black. No hints of red or brown around the edges. Absolute motor oil black. It pours thick from the bottle with a generous 3 finger khaki head. Great lacing as well.

S: The smell is intense. Definite banana up front with faint hints of roasted dark coffee. Some caramel and spice as well.

T: The taste... oh, the taste. Other worldly. An incredible stout. An incredible beer... period. You are definitely hit with the coffee that was evident in the smell right up front. It's semi-sweet, but not too much. Very malty and the alcohol is hard to decipher. At 10% ABV, that's a dangerous thing.

M: The mouthfeel is very full and thick. The motor oil like pour is evident here. Sticky and almost chewy.

Overall: possibly my favorite stout. I'm a huge fan of Convict Hill's Oatmeal Stout, but the low ABV in that brew makes it difficult to judge in comparison to this. This stout doesn't have the annoying over carbonation that some of the higher ABV stouts have and the smooth nature of the brew is almost too good to be true. I'll be buying another 4 pack and will let it age. (1,154 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

A..A gorgeous dark brown, bordering on black. Reminds me of velvet.

S..Hints of chocolate and roasted malt. A slight hint of hops in my glass.

T..Amazing taste! The very dark chocolate taste hits at the beginning and the end of each sip and appears to evolve throughout the sip. This has to be the best chocolate beer I have enjoyed to date (compared with others like Young's Double Chocolate Stout, Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence), perhaps because I prefer dark chocolate...or perhaps because it is just that perfect. Dark malt flavor is also present.

M..Nice and heavy like a Russian Imperial Stout should be. This brew keeps getting better as I drink.

D..Easy to drink for a heavy Imperial Stout that has a 10% ABV. I would advise to take it easy since the ABV is so high, but that is easier said than done considering the marvelous taste of this near perfect recipe. Enjoy! (880 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

A- Pours as black as the label on the bottle. Great 3 finger dark tan head. Good lacing as you drink it down.

S- Chocolate and Coffee malts. There is a bit of a tinge of alcohol in there. Sweet caramel malt as well. The deeper I go into it the more I can smell the sugars. Has a creamy note to it.

T- The caramel and chocolate seem to come out first followed by the coffee in the finish. Has a bit of bitterness to it that lingers. The more it sits it starts to take on a bit of a dark fruit/dark cherry flavor.

M- Thin on the palate yet creamy. Its' a strange kind of feel to it. incredible smooth body makes it seem milky but when you swallow it down it's like it creams up and thickens. So I would say it has a pretty good body to it overall.

O- A pretty good stout with big flavors. I think holding this one for a while and letting it mellow out will make this beer even better. Pick one up today and drink it next winter.

Had this one again on tap and this time the flavors were more amazing. The chocolate notes just burst out of this beer. It was velvety and smooth on the palate and just a fantastic beer. On my last review in Nov. I said that it might be better if you hold it in the cellar and drink it next year. Well I am changing that plea to "only if you can't get it on tap". Fantastic brew. (1,312 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery