Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
DrinkinBuddy

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a complete 3000 mile motor oil black. Smell is that of roasted malts, chocolate and alcohol. Taste is mainly of bitter chocolate mixed with a combination of roasted malts. A very strong alcohol taste is present. I wish they would have masked the alcohol a little better. Maybe next year. Mouthfeel is very full and thick. Very pleasing for a stout. Drinkability isn't the best because of the very apparent alcohol presence. A pretty good stout, and I'd try it again.

01-05-2008 04:47:29 | More by DrinkinBuddy
WhiteOak

Connecticut

Batch brewed for Winter 09-10

Glass- Riedel 6416/07

A- Opaque black/brown. The head is a nice, very dark brown with some lace.

S- Choclate covered raisins, cola. Faint vanilla note, which faded.

T- Big, extracted, sweet roasted malt (and, I applaud, NOT burnt to a char). Bitter espresso, black coffee. Good, straightforward flavors. Lingering finish is dominated by bitter coffee flavor and a touch too much hop bitterness.

M, D- ABV masked. I found the CO2 to be heavy-handed and fizzy.

Comment: This year's batch I found to be better than a few I have had before, those exhibiting a weird moldy off-smell. The Winter 09-10 seemed cleaner in this regard.

01-16-2010 23:13:33 | More by WhiteOak
lovindahops

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Well I should probably review this Brooklyn stout before i finish all of them. This is one of the more respected stouts on the market

A- black darkness contained by my pint glass yet nevertheless the midnight theme almost glows. A slight resemblance of lacing on the sides

S- chocolate mocha espesso beans launch from the get go. An earthy and nutty finish combine completely well. Now this is what a chocolate stout should be like

T- a coating coffee and mocha presentation appears within a toasted malty flavor shows up from the start. Darkened sugar that is somewhat caramelized to facilitate the overall flavor

M- coating flavors take the walls of your palate hostage

O- what a great chocolate stout! I will always be a fan!

01-08-2012 20:15:37 | More by lovindahops
riversider76

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours almost like motor oil. This beer is the darkest of my experience.Head did not last long,nice lacing. Smell is of chocolate and malt. Very inviting! Mouthfeel is thick and rich. Taste is unique. Chocolate,malt,coffee. To sum this beer up....Wow!

12-22-2005 00:37:41 | More by riversider76
roadhouse

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, 08-09 bottling, into a snifter.

Appears an opaque black with a half inch dark tan head. Sinks down to a spotty film and leaves some spotty lacing to go along with it.

Aroma has lots of chocolate, some coffee, rum soaked raisins, figs, and molasses.

Taste has lots of dark chocolate up front with the rum soaked raisin note right alongside it. Midway through some coffee-like roasted flavors come out and it becomes increasingly bitter with a nice hoppy flavor to finish it off.

Mouthfeel is medium-full, not as thick as some RIS but it's still quite nice.

Overall this is a very solid RIS. It's nice to have something this good that is easily attainable and doesn't require camping out and bottle limits to obtain.

10-25-2008 06:03:09 | More by roadhouse
elgiacomo

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle, 2009 vintage. Reviewed Nov 27, 2010.

Pours black with a one finger brown head that leaves a nice network of intricate lacing and holds a small cap.

Aroma is chocolate, milk chocolate, coffee, roasted malts. Mostly chocolate. Very little dark fruit unlike the '08 bottle I had the other night. Moderate strength.

Flavor is rich chocolate, coffee, roasted malts, some dark fruits such as figs, plums, and a bit of cherries, very little alcohol, a year of age worked well in this department as it is not often one will enjoy a 10% ABV brew with little to no noticeable alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, creamy and rich, medium carbonation.

Oh man, so much better than the '08. Dunno if I had a bad bottle or what but this is fantastic stuff. Gets an extra bump in drinkability due to being a good value in the Imperial Stout category. Will be reviewing a fresh '10 soon.

Aroma 4, Appearance 4, Taste 4, Palate 4, Overall 4.5, Score 4.05

___

12oz bottle, 2008 vintage. Reviewed Nov 25, 2010.

Pours medium black with a one finger brown head that leaves nice lacing and holds a small cap.

Aroma is dark fruits and chocolate, vinous, with raisins, currants, plums, figs, prunes, fair alcohol, chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts.

Flavor is heavy on the dark fruits, chocolate covered cherries, raisins, currants, figs and plums, some notes of chocolate and coffee start to pick up, roasted malts, alcohol is very muted but there.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side for an Imperial Stout, medium bodied overall, low to medium carbonation.

Surprised by the heavy dark fruit component almost overpowering the chocolate and roasted malts in this one. I've had better bottles of Brooklyn BCS. Will update the review with subsequent tastings of other vintages.

Aroma 3.5, Appearance 4, Taste 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 4, Score 3.65

11-26-2010 03:29:42 | More by elgiacomo
theboozecruise

Louisiana

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Found this one at the 'Butcher' restaurant/deli/meat market in New Orleans, they served it ice cold with a frosted whiskey sipping glass, which was unusual. I like the small glass for the beer, but frosted was strange. Fortunately I had to wait for the food so I let the beer warm up some and the glass defrost before drinking.

It pours a dark brown, almost black color with a small tan head... nothing special, but I know this isn't really the optimal glass for the beer. I think in a pint glass where the head could develop during a full pour this would be a better looking beer.

The smell is bitter chocolate, delicious. The taste is more of the same... it's still a little colder than it should be but I can taste the bitterness of the chocolate with hints of spice and a slight sting of alcohol. Definitely a good one.

As for drinkability, would I order another one? I didn't this time, but in the future, absolutely I'd go for another one of these.

03-23-2010 15:10:47 | More by theboozecruise
allrizz

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Being originally from Brooklyn and a Stout lover I just had to try this beer. ABV 8.5%
This glass was from the tap and very dark.
A pleasant aroma with a hint of chocolate.
I loved the way it tasted, bold with a hint of coffe and chocolate, two of my favorite flavors.
A Russian Imperial Stout that has made it to my list of regular favorites.

02-14-2009 04:10:00 | More by allrizz
chuckd123

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

I've had 4 of these out of 12oz bottles now. A very good example of the style. Poured into a pint glass today, and was dark-as-night black with a dark tan/brown head, about 1.5 fingers worth. Not much lacing to speak of, but no surprise there.

Smell is 3 things at once; chocolate first, malt second and alcohol third. Nicely balanced, but these three stand out. Very inviting smell, pretty much what you would expect of the style.

Taste is similar to the smell in that you notice the same three things, in that order. Chocolate doesn't overpower as I expected, but is somewhat balanced with the malt. Slight alcohol burn comes on shortly after swallowing, but at 10%, you'd expect that to some extent.

Mouthfeel is not the most impressive part of this beer, but it's smooth & creamy and the alcohol gives it somewhat of a warming feel.

Drinkability is about average. For one, I don't think many of us expect to session a 10% stout, but this is one I wouldn't have more than maybe 2 of in a sitting.

Overall a very good beer from Brooklyn, and worth trying this winter.

12-19-2008 22:18:01 | More by chuckd123
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A - One finger tan head. Totally black. Can't see anything. Head is very calm, looks like it's stickin around.

S - Tons of chocolate, rich roastiness and coffee. Typical RIS. Really nice.

T - Mild booziness. Roastiness is less present. Coffee is pretty strong. Chocolate is strong and tasty. Good to see no actual chocolate added, just alot of great malts.

M - Medium carbonation, really smooth and rich. Silky smooth.

D - Hard to say whether I could have a few of these. I'm burping chocolate. It is delicious but not sessionable obviously. I would never turn one down and I would definately seek it out.

02-06-2011 01:01:08 | More by tbeckett
Quaffer

Nevada

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottle states, "Winter '03 - '04." I'm a little confused by one of the other statements on the bottle: "Brewed and bottled by the Brooklyn Brewery, Utica, N.Y." Utica!? What the hell?

Appearance: With some coaxing, I was able to produce a dark tan, one-finger head when I poured this viscous beer. It was jet black, and I mean jet black. The head was gone quickly, dissipating into just a few isolated patches of bubbles floating on the pure ebony liquid. There was no lacing at all.

Smell: A great smelling brew that had the very distinct odor of cocoa. Not pure chocolate, mind you, but powdered cocoa. This was strongest right after the pour, but then subsided to allow the other aromas to shine through and join in. There were the burnt smells of dark roasted malts, a sweetness that seemed to come more from the malt than the chocolate, dark bitter coffee, a light smokiness, and a hint of cream that only showed itself when the glass was agitated.

Mouthfeel: On the high-end of the medium-bodied specturm. There was quite a bit of tickle on the tongue, which surprised me, but not to the point that the beer felt rough. After I had been drinking this one for awhile, I definitely started to notice the tingle of the 8.5% alcohol.

Taste: Aside from a tart, somewhat astringent quality that pervaded the flavor from start to finish, this beer was chock full of dark malt flavors. The burnt, smoky taste of black roasted malts completely filled the mouth. I could only detect the slightest hint of chocolate malt in the mix, and that came across as dark, bitter chocolate. The finish was a continuation of the aforementioned dark malt flavors, combined with a good dose of hops. To me, the hops had an English quality to them and seemed slightly muddled in flavor.

This beer gave me the hat trick of the well-known chocolate stouts. In my mind, this beer, along with Rogue and Young's, is one of the big three chocolate stouts that permeates the American market. However, I have learned that this offering is nothing, and I repeat nothing, like the other two. While the others actually use chocolate in the brewing process, Brooklyn's is an representation of an imperial stout that uses chocolate (and other) malt only to create its flavor. Overall, a good beer, though there are other "big" stouts that I would rather drink.

Thanks Bruiser81!

12-14-2003 23:37:55 | More by Quaffer
westweasel

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Gayle Sayers shaker glass.

The beer pours out very dark brown and opaque., with a fairly substantial tan head. As you tilt and rotate the glass, you can see the beer has just a little bit of "legs" to it.

In the aroma dark chocolate predominates, along with some roasted notes, and a small touch of alcohol.

The mouthfeel is medium to full with moderate carbonation. The beer tastes like dark chocolate and roasted grains initially, followed by a substantial bitter/roasty bite.

This is very easy to drink for a Russian imperial stout. It does not seem anywhere close to a 10% beer. Very nicely done.

11-02-2009 02:37:55 | More by westweasel
Ungertaker

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- black lacquer with a one-finger caramel-colored head that quickly fades to a lacy ring.

S- chocolate, vanilla, coffee, raisins

T- dark chocolate-covered raisins up front that transition to a mocha cappuccino and finish with dark chocolate

M- medium to thick with a balanced level of carbonation that stays until the end.

O- for the price, this is one of the better stouts I have had. The complexity is what did it for me. I was expecting just a "chocolate stout" and ended up with so much more.

10-17-2011 02:57:20 | More by Ungertaker
maddamish

Tennessee

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: You couldn't see through this beer if you were on top of a light house. Nice light brow color. Minimal head to this beer but it laces well.

Smell: Strong chocolate smell. Slight alcohol armoa but not overly so.

Taste: Strong notes of coffee, dark chocolate, a tangy sort of prune flavor. Espresso flavor aftertaste.

Notes: I am going to cellar a couple of these boys to drink later and see if it mellows out a bit.

11-17-2005 02:45:56 | More by maddamish
chefdaddy18042

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A very tasty Russian Imperial Stout. It poured out with a very subtle head. Almost seasoned to have the characteristics of chocolate and deep tones of espresso.
The drinkability surprised me. It had a great and easy palatability, but the 10% caught me off guard. The alcohol is barely detected,which is different thatn most beers with higher ABV's.
Delicate sweetness is evenly distributed throughout the beer.
Overall, i truly do enjoy this beer...more so once in a while rather than often. Treat it more like the name suggests it to be....chocolate

11-12-2008 03:28:33 | More by chefdaddy18042
grayburn

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pitch black motor oil with a dark brown head that dissipates into muddy lacing. Beautiful.

Bitter Bakers chocolate and alcohol with a coffee back, dark roasted scents abound.

The malty chocolate and alcohol ride in the front seat while the hops are hogtied in the trunk. Bittersweet finish strong in alcohol, but good.

Heavy body chewy, balanced by good carbonation.

A sipper, but a good beer no less. Excellent job.

02-24-2009 20:06:32 | More by grayburn
afksports

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

I'm enjoying a year-old brew watching Brazilians dance on YouTube with my roommate and my neighbor when I'm supposed to be hanging with the woman. I'll have to note this in the man file.

That said, this dark brown to black body has a lovely lacing retention and clings to the glass, despite it's not so great head. The smell is pretty blasting, and nicely full of malts, a bit of coffee and chocolate, but also covered in booze. The taste is the same way, with booze present start to finish despite its well-crafted chocolately-profile. Hops kick in it too, working with the dark chocolate to bitter the finish.

Drinkability isn't its strong suite, but its tasty enough to return to, and the mouthfeel is about how big Russian stouts should normally feel.

Cheers to Mr. Oliver on this brew, one of the first I really enjoyed from Brazil. Err, from Brooklyn.

01-13-2011 03:11:00 | More by afksports
biophiliadude

Bottle to pint

A: dark roast coffee, 1/8 inch head, patchy lacing

S: alcohol, chocolate cake, toffee

T: caramel, malt, toffee, waffles

M: smooth and creamy. Very Plesant

D: D: A delicious take on the RIS. Like a liquid chocolate cake, very smooth and a lot of flavors that changed slightly, some flavors exchanging prominence as my hands warmed up the glass. At almost 11% abv I can't think of a more agreeable "cold weather" beer. Highly Recommended!

11-17-2009 06:23:15 | More by biophiliadude
LiquidBread219

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A= Dark black in color with a tan head that provided nice lacing.

S= I smell the chocolate in this one but I also smell espresso beans which I like.

T= I taste bitter chocolate a little bit of fruit like prunes and the coffee flavor. It is also creamy in taste a little.

M= Thick full bodied beer pretty nice.

D= I would probably want to age this one a little more before I drink it again.

12-02-2010 06:33:59 | More by LiquidBread219
ArrogantB

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz winter 06-07 bottle courtesy of MuenchenerKindl, thanks man. Obviously this was dark black. It smelled nice, chocolate. the taste was vinous sort of like Stone Russian. Fruity flavors, chocolate, a tad thin on the body for my taste but overall this was a nice easy to drink beer, especially since I split it with a friend. I have heard this is around $10 a six-pack which would make it an exceptional value if I had access to it.

12oz winter 08-09 bottle courtesy of vwcraig, thanks! Black as expected, really nice chocolate stout smell, nice taste of sweet fruit. This is good beer.

09-17-2008 14:58:41 | More by ArrogantB
trevorwideman

Manitoba (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to vanrassel for this bottle and the other one I'll try in a year or two...

Pours black as a foggy moonless night with a 1/2 inch lovely tan coloured head. Subsides slowly leaving some nice lacing. Intense aromatics! Dark fruity aromas that meld into herbal and medicinal aromas. Bassett's Liquorice Allsorts, brandy, chocolate, roasted malt, a bit of alcohol. Wowee wow, and it's all there in full force, no subtlety here.

Taste is no less than the nose suggests, big and bold and brash and flavourful. Sour notes meld well with the bold roasted malt and dark chocolate/cocoa flavours. Fruitiness in the background, plums and raisins. Medicinal and herbal notes are prevalent as well. The flavours are there and they are amazing, but I find they don't meld together as much as they complement each other. Mouthfeel is about right, not overcarbonated, but enough to push the flavours around the mouth. Heavy heavy body as expected with a drying finish. More than one of these will knock you on your ass and make it hard to get up in the morning I'd think, but it goes down pretty well I'd say. I'm excited to see how this ages, well done Brooklyn.

Jan. 27, 2009 - Aroma is still intense as ever, but the carbonation and head have deadened quite a bit. Flavours are still balls-out with a slight hint of the papery edge that beers begin to get after a few years. Still a very enjoyable sipper though for a cold winter night.

04-11-2007 03:07:16 | More by trevorwideman
earthboundagain

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

2009 batch of BCS. Poured into a snifter and tasted after 15 mins at room temp.

A- Well they got the black part right in the name. Decent head with some thin lacing.

S- Ok I get dark chocolate, dark fruits, espresso bean candy, and alcohol.

T- Ok we got some dark chocolate but not over sweet. Roasted malt is big with some dark fruit hiding in the background. Some coffee bitterness to balance the job, with a splash of good ole alcohol.

M- This beer is slick on the tongue, but very smooth. Carbonation is there, making this one easy to pour down your throat.

D- This one is easier to drink then most beers in its style. But do not be confused the alcohol is there and will creep up on you.

N- This is not as big and bold as some Imp stouts but it is an easier brew to have more then two at a time. This is no sipper but be careful or you may get smacked down. I will age this beer and see what a year does to it. 

12-08-2009 21:55:48 | More by earthboundagain
csmiley

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Pours a dark brown, opaque color. Got a little less than an inch of head that stuck around for a while. Lacing was great. Picture perfect.

S - Chocolate comes across first but is quickly backed up by roasted malt. Espresso seems to round out the aroma profile.

T - Taste follows aroma. Chocolate - roasted malt - espresso. There is also a strong alcohol flavor. Pretty good balance considering the 10.6 %.

M - This one is really pushing the full bodied envelope. Carbonation is great.

D - It is big and strong. Proceeding with caution is a good idea. Having said that, I consider this beer to be really good...in moderation.

01-01-2008 04:09:34 | More by csmiley
DavidEddie

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

07/08 bottle. A big thanks to JJ for this one!

Appearance - Inky jet black. Nice thick light brown head dissipates quickly.

Smell - Dark fruits, chocolate, burnt toast, and a bit of roasted coffee.

Taste - Dark chocolate, burnt toast, coffee, and dark malts. Flavors were bold but not obnoxious. Well balanced.

Mouth feel - Velvety and creamy. Good carbonation.

Drinkability - Too easy. Alcohol was not really to noticeable. I felt it almost had a Trappist ale quality to it, as was mentioned in a previous review. Highly recommend. Cheers!

11-20-2007 03:37:07 | More by DavidEddie
starkmarvelo

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout '11
Aged ~1yr (30 Sep 12)

A- Not much to look at. No head or lacing at all. Looks a lot like black coffee.

S- chocolate, dark fruit and alcohol sweetness.

T- bitter chocolate on the cold side, tons of dark fruit after it warms up. A lot of flavors hitting the palate, helped my the small bubbles, most are a sweet dark fruit flavor. Not much alcohol taste.

M- Surprisingly thin mouthfeel with moderate amount of carbonation.

O- tastes nothing like I remember. The dark chocolate flavors have faded and given way to a Complex dark fruit flavor. Given the thin mouth feel and the more fruity flavors that have developed, this could easily be mistaken for an Old Ale. Pretty good.

10-03-2012 19:52:25 | More by starkmarvelo