Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -41%

Pours black in color with a 1 finger coffee brown head with ok retention

The scent is of dark chocolate with dark fruit.

The taste was incredibly sour at first, bad batch? After the sourness passed I tasted some dark chocolate and notes of coffee, the high alcohol was hardly noticeable.

Full bodied, smooth and creamy, low carbonation.

This was not a very good beer due to the incredible sourness, I probably had a bad batch, if I see this somewhere else I will have to retry.

BeerCon5, Dec 08, 2010
2.45/5  rDev -41%

Pourd from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

[A] - Poured black with a reddish mahogony hue around the edges. Head pours a tan 1 finger film that receeds very quickly. Lacing is not impressive in the least especially for an Imperial Stout.

[A] - Roasted malt acidity dominates, perhaps notes of oxidation. Slight bready notes with roasted coffee bean notes as well. Chocolate is VERY faint. Alcohol is almost non - existant but faint in the nose.

[T] - Roasted malt acidity and slightly boozy alcohol numb the palate. Chocolate is faintly preceived. Slight coffee notes make an apperance but do not develop into any substantial portion of taste.

[M] - Spritzy carbonation upfront followed by a semi - creamy malt presence. Alcohol and roasted malt acidity dry the finish.

[D + O] - Roasted malt acidity and oxidation are over the top and not pleasing to the palate. These characteristics dominate the beer. Slight over carbonation detracts from the brew as well. Alcohol is not present in the nose but is preceived as hot/slightly solvent in the taste. I can think of at least 10 (Non - Imperial) stouts that I'd rather enjoy off the top of my head. Very over - rated. Very dissappointed. I will not purchase this beer again.

swhite11, Dec 29, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

06-07 bottle - 10.6% ABV

The pour into my big ol' snifter raises a one finger light brown head that recedes quickly to a surface littered with large bubbles. Lacing is thin and sudsy. The body is utterly black, even when backlit. I'll let the head retention slip by, considering the extra alcohol. The nose reeks of roast and alcohol, with strong coffee notes and subtle hints of chocolate. Seems fairly one-dimensional, though - not much depth. The taste is sweeter, more acidic, and less roasty than I expected, or what I recall from last year. It's tasty, but here too, there's no depth. It does hide the alcohol well, though. The mouth is more than medium, but not the thickest I've ever had by far. Overall, an easy drinking strong beer, but without much to call me back. I'm glad I didn't buy a case like I originally planned...

mjc410, Oct 30, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -40.2%

2002-2003 vintage

Who put highland scotch in my glass? The nose on Brooklyn is alcohol muddied by stale mocha and what the wine world would call "funk." Deep with earth yet ready to burst with hops, the stout smells like a true Russian IS mixed with the overhopped American intepretation. Either that, or it smells like the reason Russia needed its own IS -- by the time the 3abv British stouts made it over to the Ukraine, they had begun to rot.

The taste is thin. I'm immediately pressed with bitterness -- some from the hops and some from an overuse of burnt grain. The main taste isn't chocolate or any variation of chocolate malt; it's cola and alcohol. And somewhere within all of this is a shot of sherry finished highland scotch.

I would say this beer is young, but the weak flavors, low alcohol, and overall washed out quality makes me think this stuff wouldn't stand a chance in the cellar. And, if the alcohol really is under 10% in this vintage, Brooklyn does a miserable job of masking it.

Relax, relax.
ng

ngandhi, Jan 19, 2004

harryragg, Nov 21, 2013

Doppelbockulus, Jan 27, 2012

hefehead12, Jan 16, 2012

LJWalker, Feb 08, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours opaque black with no head, and pretty much no carbonation. Smells like it should be tasty, but it just kind of underwhelms you with a dense flat unfulfilling taste, more coffee than chocolate. Certainly one is enough for me. I gave away the rest of the case.

techdiver, Oct 02, 2006

BMBeerhead, Jan 10, 2012

DuffDaddy, Jul 12, 2013

rmcnamee, May 15, 2014
2.53/5  rDev -39%

Poured out black thick and viscous. Poured from a bottle into my Duvel glass with Maybe a fingers width of reddish brown foam. It looked like tar or thick oil in my glass.
It smelled like burnt cereal.
All I could taste was burnt grain with a metallic after taste. It was so boozey and tasted like gasoline. I really do not like this RIS and regret I have another bottle to choke down but at least it's 10 percent and will cellar well. Maybe by next year it's taste will have improved and mellowed a bit. I could not taste chocolate at all.
I would never buy this again and will think twice about buying another Brooklyn beer.

tekn0ph1sh, Feb 02, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

Pours deep black with little head,The smell of this stout is impressive but the taste eluded me.It reminded me of dark Chocolate cake batter,a strong coffee and everclear,the alcohol was straight up hot,making the drinkability poor,I will put a little age on this one and revisit after proper aging,I may have had a hot bottle

jjhbrfdds, Jan 31, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance: Black as night with no head.
Smell: Bitter and chocolatey notes.
Taste: It doesn't even taste like beer. It's like slightly carbonated milk chocolate. Not too bad overall, but it get's worse as it warms. This should be named "Brooklyn Old Chocolate Milk".
Mouthfeel: Creamy yet dull.
Drinkability: Half of one of these is more than enough.

jvajda, Dec 04, 2004
2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

I'm afraid I have to go against the grain here as I didn't find this to be a particularly good beer. I usually enjoy Brooklyns, but this one just came across as a poorly put together effort. Its got too many harsh extremes without a lot of the good stuff of a properly made chocolate porter.

Out of the bottle it looks beautiful. Dark walnut colour with a monster big, good looking head. The head settles to a film and offers up some nice lace as you're drinking.

Nose is dark fruit, malt, chocolate and coffee, but its marred by aggressive notes of alcohol. Smells a bit like a barley wine. Slightly syrupy.

The brew has a very sharp sour bite to it early on, and is not anything like most other porters. That softens after the beer sits for a while, but is really off-putting. Mellows out, but still fairly harsh. Tarry in character and still too boozy.

Just too disjointed. Doesn't hang together in any sort of interesting way. Not for me, definitely not an introductory brew.

TerryW, Dec 31, 2009
2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for sharing Sam!

Jet black pour with a light brown, tan head that sticks around, then leaves lots of lacing down the glass. So far, so good.

Sharp alcohol is the first thing I notice unfortunately, and I have to search for the chocolate. When I do find it, it's somewhat sharp and too sweet, not rich and decadent like other wonderful chocolate stouts. There's some nice roasted malt and coffee elements that try to balance it out, but it's dominated by alcohol and over-sweet chocolates.

Sharp and stinging bittersweet chocolate (like cocoa powder), alcohol bite, something metallic, and mild roast. Not a lot of complexity, and not a lot of good.

Medium to thick mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Too much alcohol and the chocolate does not come in an accessible, enjoyable form. Too bad.

ehammond1, Sep 10, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

This was the first Imperial Stout that I have had, and feel that I may want to stay away from this style of beer.

Appearance: It poured black, aesthetically not bad for a stout beer.

Smell: A mixture of chocolate, some vanilla with hints of coffee. And the part that I think turned me away was the alcohol scent. It was just too strong for me. I don’t feel that beer should smell like the alcohol.

Taste: The taste was strong on the chocolate, more bitter dark chocolate that milk.

Mouth feel: Average, kinda watery.

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, not a session beer. I can’t see myself drinking this brew on any occasion.

I guess you can’t like al the styles of beer…. Too bad for me right…

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

bossmanjg, Mar 02, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

Package: 12-ounce bottle. Winter 2002-2003 vintage.

Appearance: Looks like black mud as it pours out of the bottle. Thick. Black. Thick tan head. So thick not even Superman can see through this beer.

Smell: Strong alcohol and chocolate aroma. Somewhat bready as well.

Taste: Very bitter and alcohol flavor up front. Tangy almost lemon-like zesty flavor is also present. There is an “odd” flavor that is present in the middle of the flavor timeline that I do not like but I can’t quite identify what it is. I just don’t like how it mixes with the other flavors. Chocolate malt flavor is also present. Roasted and burnt espresso aftertaste. Strong hop bitterness also present in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick and extremely chewy.

Drinkability: Super strong bitterness and alcohol flavor detracts from the drinkability.

Comments: For me it was not as good as it looked. I enjoyed the chocolate malt and espresso flavors but that “odd” flavor is just not my thing. Thank you Keith (stegmakk) for the bottle.

Denali, Mar 25, 2003
2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

A-Poured black with tan 2 finger head. Looked delicious.

S- smelled lightly of chocolate. Alcohol smell was overbearing.

T- first sip was pretty bad imho. The alcohol taste reminded me of a cheap "ice" beer.
I dis notice as it got warmer that the alcohol didn't stand out as much and I was delighted as the chocolate, toasty' and liquorice taste came through.

M- mouthfeel was good. Pretty heavy, which I like.

O- wasn't very impressed but at the same time i'm new to this and it may be that the alcohol taste should stand out as it did. Loved the look of this stout but smell and taste was had a bit more alcohol presence than I like.

mtnbeer87, Oct 23, 2012