Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,735 | Hads: 6,339
4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

'02-'03: wow, I read yen157's review and picked up a few of these at the beer store earlier. Its a wonderful stong stout with a nice choclate aftertaste with a strong flavor of burnt malts and some coffee taste in there. It poured a BEAUTIFUL fluffy head with a unique ruby tint that shined through the heavy lace it left on the glass. Its is dark, i mean really DARK, almost the color of tar or oil but that ruby tinted head makes it a very attractice beer. I didn't notice much of an alcohol taste immediatly, but once the beer warmed a little, it was evident no so much by the taste but the feelign of my noise. I did not detract from its drinkablility rating due to its heaviness; I assume that if you drinking this you like imperial stouts, but due to it's alcohol taste that i guess just comes along with a beer that's 10.6abv. Besides that, its a wonderful beer and if you're a strong stout lover you will love this, try it.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with no head whatsoever. Taste is fantastic, good malty roast with a ton of dark chocolate. Wonderful creamy mouthfeel that you expect in an imperial stout. The booze is a little hot right now but I don't mind. With a little age this would be a wonderful, smooth chocolate bomb. Need to get more while it's out

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

This one poured midnight black into a cut cafe glass. A finger size head of an intense mocha color formed and remained a ring on the edge of the glass for the entire 45 minute drinking period. The smell was of dark roast coffee, deep roasted malt and dark chocolate. The taste intensified those characteristics, plus added more chcolate depth with a subtle alcohol burn considering he 10% rating. Mouthfeel was smooth and viscous with slight carbonation, once again the alchohol was well hidden. This is the best offering that I've had from Brooklyn Brewery, a strong contender for my favorite Stout. World Class.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

A- Incredible opaque shade of black. No light passes through. Head is tan and thick and never really recedes.
S- Crazy good. Smells of sweet dark bitter chocolate. Molasses and roasted malt.
T- deep complex roasted malt flavors. Alcohol is present throughout. Has some bitterness, tastes of tar and the crust of brown bread as well.
M- The bitterness and alcohol permeate mouth and linger for a bit. Not unpleasant mouthfeel. Viscous.
D- 10% might get the best of some.
This is a well-brewed stout. I'm happy, it's easy for me to get.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottled winter 2005-06

A - Poured out a deep, dark black. No head to speak of and no lacing, either.

S - It smelled of roasted malt and chocolate.

T - It tasted like a dark chocolate candy bar and a good mix of roasted malt.

M - Soft and and creamy. It is fairly heavy.

D - This is an outstanding beer. Its flavors are amazing and it goes down so well.

4.64/5  rDev +11.8%

bottle poured into a pint glass

This beer pours a dark and deep black color with a nice off white head that lingers for a long time. It is whatever temp my cellar is, so it is definitely not fridge cold which is a good thing in my opinion. That really helps beers be themselves. Anyways, the aroma is boozy, chocolatey, slightly bitter with a touch of wet dog. The flavor is great. It is rich and bold and smoky and chocolate and stove ash all rolled together. It comes in waves and changes on the tongue and remains quite complex. There is a hint of bitterness on the end, but mostly alcohol. The MF is a decently light for style but still quite perfect.

A great beer. I am usually not a huge fan of Brooklyn, but a good job on this one.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Black. Chocolate brown head and little patches of lace on the glass. Pours real thick too. Smell is loaded with sweet chocolate, cocoa, slightly roasted and a little buttery. Mouthwatering aroma. Tastes exeptionally smooth and velvety. Full roasted malts and both dark and milk chocolate floods the palate. Full body. Great mouthfeel. Coats the entire mouth making you drool for more. An extremely drinkable russian imperial. The only thing that hints at the high ABV is a subtle alcohol warming.

I wish I could drink these all the time.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured a deep dark black with mahogony highlights and 3 inches of thick dark brown head.

Smell is huge, big strong bitter chocolate and coffee mixing in with strong sweet alcohol flavors.

Taste after the huge smell is suprisingly smooth. Not as strong in flavor as in odor, but very tasty. Big dark bitter chocolate flavors mixing in with sweet alcohol and a touch of charred oak barrel bourban flavors with hints of burnt malts and coffee.

Mouthfeel is creamy and thick.

Wow what a great beer. Very drinkable and tasty, plus a steal at the $8 I paid for a six pack. As good as many stouts I normally pay double that for.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

This '03-'04 edition poured a pitch black color with a thick, compact brown head that disappeared kind of quickly, but left excellent lacing. Vinous aroma of dark chocolate, dark fruit, coffee, espresso and currants. Lots going on with all these roasted malts. Taste of burnt, bittersweet chocolate and coffee, but has a nice hop balance to keeping it from being too sweet. Thick-bodied with a nice warming sensation in the belly. Alcohol shows its presence, but is not overbearing. What a wonderful winter warmer. I have been drinking this treat since it first hit the market back in '94 when Garrett Oliver just started working at the Brooklyn Brewery.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has a thin, tan head and a very dark brown appearance. The aroma is of grain husks, dark chocolate, dark-roasted chocolate, fudge, and molasses. Taste is of dark-roasted grain, dark chocolate, sweetness, and syrup. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy, and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout finishes dry and heavy. Overall, this is a most excellent beer.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

S - 12 oz bottle from '06. Nouseforotacon hooked me up with this spectacle of a beer.

A - Pours a black with a deep red center. Head is fluffy, smooth, and creamy chocolate colored. Looks delicious. spiderwebs hangs on the walls of my glass.

S - Bittersweet chocolate, powedered chocolate, fruity twinges, malty, slight hop hit, kind of grainy as well. Smells great.

T - Fruity, chocolate covered fruits, slightly roasted malt, bitter bite in the finish and is perfect, balances it all out perfectly. Delicious, I can only imagine this vint. a year from now.

M - Creamy and smooth with a balancing act of carbonation as well. perfection.

D - I could drink these until I black "chocolated" out (corny I know, but its true)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

2007 Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout on tap @ Novare Res in Portland, ME on 1.12.11

A - First appeared to be black as night, but as it got lower and I could see the edges more, it was revealed to me that it was a dark burgundy. The head was about 3 fingers off the tap, but the bartender let it go down some, then served it to me with a solid 1.5 fingers of thick dark brown head. It was almost like mousse atop the beer.

S - For a beer apparently brewed without chocolate, this beer smells like chocolate. Bittersweet, like a nice 85% cacao chocolate bar.

T - If you melted dark chocolate and put alcohol in it, this is what it would taste like, I think. I am a huge chocolate lover, especially the dark variety, so this was unreal. I spent about 45 minutes with this one tulip, enjoying every sip.

M - Perfect. Light carbonation that perfectly accented the flavor.

D - Yikes, I was feeling just one of these. Afraid that if I had a couple, I couldn't even walk. That's the only qualm I have with this phenomenal beer.

Winter 07-08 Bottling

A- Pours a one finger beatiful brown head into my large snifter. I get some nice lacing on this one. The body is extremely black and thick as you could imagine. After about a minute, the head recedes down into a thin cap.

S- Very large and complex nose, very nice fruity hop edge, big chocolate, prune, sweet German chocolate cake. Very nice dark fruit, chocolate, and hoppy edge. Great Balance.

T- Starts out with the big dark fruit of prunes, a green apple sweetness, covered in caramel, and of course, chocolate, then finishes with a very nice fresh apple, and dry chocolate. I have never expected apple notes in my IMPY's but this is clearly there, to me.

M- Starts out with a nice acidic carbonation that tingles on the palette. Very reminiscent of lambics. The notes on the palette and the finish are excellent.

D- 10.6% is a big brew but the alcohol is extremely well hidden. There is an outstanding complexity to this one, and I will search out as much of this as I can. Garrett, you did an amazing job on this one.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Pours a dark chocolate black with no light penetrating when held up to the light. Produced 2 fingers of creamy dark tan head. Pretty good retention, but eventually recedes to a nice thin film and leaves some laving.

The aroma that I am getting is bitter dark chocolate, licorice, rich coffee, roasted malt and some healthy notes of booze!

Taste follows the nose to the T. I feel like I am drinking liquid black chocolate. Its amazingly good. Along withe the dark chocolate, some subtle notes of coffee and licorice. I'm also getting what I think to be a black cherry finish.

Medium in body and hot!! I wish this was a little heavier, but this beer is hard to criticize. Thick, boozy coating with each sip. Makes you long for the next sip.

Overall, this might be the best bang for your buck stout you can get. $7.50 for a four pack and this stout is sublime. I will make it a point to buy a four pack every time that I go to buy beer until it is off shelves. So you can run and tell that homeboy

4.65/5  rDev +12%

A: Black; no light coming through. Poured 2 finger chocolate head with excellent retention.

S: Big roasted malts, burnt bitter coffee, chocolate. Finishes with dark fruit and alcohol.

T: Consistent with smell; roasted nad chocolate malts most dominant. Earthy bitter hop brought balance to the big malts. Finish was dry and full of warming alcohol.

M: Full body. Litte carbonation. Smooth, rich, creamy and soothing.

D: Let this one warm a bit and sip it slowly by the mouthfull; you'll be pleased.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

A- Pours with a one finger head. Pitch black with nary a hint of light shining through.

S- Rich roasty coffee, chocolate, smoke and alcohol. Vanilla, hints of cherry, wood, and even more chocolate come alive as it warms.

T- Cocolate covered espresso bean, hints of vanilla and ash on the finish. The alcohol hits harder when cold, seems to mellow and linger sweetly as it warms up.

M- Full bodied with a nice alcohol bite... instantly warms your insides up.

D- I love when fall rolls around so i can get my mits on this awesome stout! Perfect with grilled meat... or use it to make an adult ice cream float for dessert.

Winter 11-12

Poured into my Brooklyn stemmed tulip glass

A: 3-4 fingers worth of nut brown head. Black beer that no light penetrates. Lacing all the way down the glass as I drink. Sexyness in a glass!

S: Bitter chocolate, with hints of roasted coffee. Touch of sweet maltiness.

T: Sweet malts give way to bitter roasted notes with a mocha/ milk chocolate finish.

M: This beer coats my mouth with a delicious chocolate film. Slightly creamy feel gives way to crisp finish.

O: Wow, this beer is delicious, and dangerously so at 10%. Perfect on a winter night or with dessert. Black Chocolate Stout has never disappointed me and this year is no exception. I look forward to enjoying this beer all winter long!

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - black in color with a light to decent head. thick looking!

Smell - This is as roasty. The malts and smells of chocolate are of the "super-dark" type. I can actually pick up several types of chocolate and coffee aromas. this beer shows a lot of depth in character.

Taste - This is like drinking a dark chocolate drink and callng it a beer. It is so dark and so chocolaty, it's unbelievable. This one definitely lives up to its name.

Mouthfeel - This beer is full in the mouth, was very big with an amazing smoothness. lipsmacking!

Drinkability - enjoy the flavors all on their own. This is incredible. but for kicks, have some chocolate with... it will wow you

Comments - very good but strong beer.... I love very good but strong beers! its a winter winner!!!!

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Dark brown as it pours but settles solid black in the glass with a pencil width high head of tight creamy foam of light leathery brown color, much like light chocolate, which is fitting for this stout. Some strings and spots of lace.
Smell is nose smacking gorgeous goodness of very sweet and rich chocolate with a nice dark fruit mixing in there of bananas, dark cherries, and starfruit. One great whiffer!
Taste is more scruptious sweet chocolate, moderately twinged and tanged at first, a bit hefty and dark, touch of burntness, smooths out leaving traces of dark fruits and a super nice thick luscious drying sense. Some sweet tingly senses introduced as well in this flavor packed punch of a stout. Its not to complex, but its fulfilling in a simple sense and tone. Rockin' good! Feel is pretty heavy and full, lightly sweet hold at the start, goes smooth, creamy, and boldly drying and tingly into the finish.
This is a supurb stout and highly enjoyable and I recommend it highly. I am very, very unlucky though, as it is not available here in Minnesota. Hopefully it will cross over the Mississippi some day soon, really soon. Those of you who can readily pick this stuff up, you don't know how lucky you are. Awesome stuff!

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Standard Brown 12 oz. bottle, vintage winter ’03-‘04
Aroma: Rich coffee, chocolate malts and a slight bittersweet blend, very inviting.
Appearance: I got a thin leather brown head that was fed by several streams of carbonation. A few small fingers of lace trailed after a very modest ring (I may need to take better care of my glassware). It looks like a glass of midnight; I had to put it right up against a bulb to get a few rays of light through that just showed clear black. Not brown, not ruby: black.
Flavor: An oddly neutral taste while I hold it in my mouth, but as I swallow, the bomb goes off. First is a slight bitter spike, masterful use of hops. As that fades a sweet molasses soothes, followed closely by a rich, high quality tobacco taste that trails off into a wisp of smoke. As it warmed, I got a hint of alcohol taste but it was well hidden. Some nice toffee tastes came out late as well. The entire beer holds together as a complete package.
Mouthfeel: This is one of the fullest beers I have ever put in my mouth, thicker than my heaviest homebrews. Almost syrupy, a heavy chew and it left about 7 coats throughout my entire mouth. It numbed my gums just slightly.
Overall Impression: Glad I was sitting down, this stuff rocked my world. Beer for Russian Royalty? This is beer for the Gods! A superb Imperial Stout. As I check the BJCP guide for reference, I’m not terribly surprised to find this beer listed as a classic example. Drinkability? While this beer slaked my thirst in a mighty way, I could probably drink another, and it is a beer I’d be happy to acquire again. Many thanks to mattcrill (actually, his wife) for the bottle, I am indebted. If you are lucky enough to see this little gem in your local store, buy it, all of it.

2015 edit: Bringing taste down by .25 to rank it appropriately in my top beers.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I poured the black viscous liquid into a pint glass. Somewhat surprised that the head was minimal but as I drank it left a beautiful caramel colored lace down the glass.
Coffee and chocolate in the nose. A lovely thick malty aroma.
First thought: YEAH!! It was a very smooth malty presence with a comforting bitter after taste. The initial sweetness lingers for awhile then is washed away with a blast of coffee bitterness.
"Calm, Cool, Collected" Nice crisp carbonation.
Quite a remarkable beer. A stout that has a wonderful sweetness as well as a defined bitterness that is amazingly balanced. Quite an accomplishment. Big Props.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a imperial pint glass with a 1 inch dark tan head. Large carb bubbles line the sides of the glass with medium head retention. Sticky matted lacing clings to the walls of the glass as it warms. Completely opaque black color and just the slightest drop of light coming through in the bottom of the glass revealing a dark ruby port color.

Cocoa and dark fruit like raisins and burnt dates are on the nose. Deeply complex ash and chocolate malts are abundant.

Taste was intense and lovely with dark fruit and chocolate pronounced throughout. I did notice a slightly soapy taste in the aftertaste however. As it warmed up the taste faded. Little bitterness except framing up the balance is present. A lovely representation of this style.

Deeply intense and warming as you swish this over your taste buds it's defiantly a winner. Cheers

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A-- viscous black, opaque. Slight head dissipates quickly
S-- a strong sweet chocolate aroma, roasted malt as well
T-- subtler and smoother than I expected, slight bite in the aftertaste, but nothing unpleasant. Very drinkable for a high ABV
M-- heavyish and thick. Almost chewy.

O-- really very good.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Outstanding! I can't wait for the winter months to roll around each year so I can get myself a case of this to savor. As black and opaque as possible when put up to light, its appearance has a light brown head that follows the pour and gives great lacing. It has a strong aroma of coffee and deeply roasted malts. The flavor follows that up with more coffee, roasted and burnt notes and also has a very strong hoppiness. A tiny taste of alcohol is there too. The beer feels like oil in your mouth with carbonation that compliments it perfectly. Overall, this is probably the best beer I have ever had and it is an absolute must for anyone that likes craft beers!

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured from bottle into 8oz glass.

A - Poured non-transparent black color with medium tan head that slowly dissipated leaving lots of lacing around the glass.

S - Very complex, roasted malts, chocolate, toffee, caramel and a hint of coffee.

T - Very complex just like smell. Malts upfront followed by coffee and dark chocolate bitterness with slightly nutty aftertaste.

M - Full bodied with high carbonation.

D - Easy going and abv is well masked but very filling. Definitely a sipper.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery