Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Black as night with no head.
Smell: Bitter and chocolatey notes.
Taste: It doesn't even taste like beer. It's like slightly carbonated milk chocolate. Not too bad overall, but it get's worse as it warms. This should be named "Brooklyn Old Chocolate Milk".
Mouthfeel: Creamy yet dull.
Drinkability: Half of one of these is more than enough.

2.6/5  rDev -37.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I'm afraid I have to go against the grain here as I didn't find this to be a particularly good beer. I usually enjoy Brooklyns, but this one just came across as a poorly put together effort. Its got too many harsh extremes without a lot of the good stuff of a properly made chocolate porter.

Out of the bottle it looks beautiful. Dark walnut colour with a monster big, good looking head. The head settles to a film and offers up some nice lace as you're drinking.

Nose is dark fruit, malt, chocolate and coffee, but its marred by aggressive notes of alcohol. Smells a bit like a barley wine. Slightly syrupy.

The brew has a very sharp sour bite to it early on, and is not anything like most other porters. That softens after the beer sits for a while, but is really off-putting. Mellows out, but still fairly harsh. Tarry in character and still too boozy.

Just too disjointed. Doesn't hang together in any sort of interesting way. Not for me, definitely not an introductory brew.

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

Bottle (2010)

Thanks for sharing Sam!

Jet black pour with a light brown, tan head that sticks around, then leaves lots of lacing down the glass. So far, so good.

Sharp alcohol is the first thing I notice unfortunately, and I have to search for the chocolate. When I do find it, it's somewhat sharp and too sweet, not rich and decadent like other wonderful chocolate stouts. There's some nice roasted malt and coffee elements that try to balance it out, but it's dominated by alcohol and over-sweet chocolates.

Sharp and stinging bittersweet chocolate (like cocoa powder), alcohol bite, something metallic, and mild roast. Not a lot of complexity, and not a lot of good.

Medium to thick mouthfeel with low carbonation.

Too much alcohol and the chocolate does not come in an accessible, enjoyable form. Too bad.

2.63/5  rDev -36.6%

This was the first Imperial Stout that I have had, and feel that I may want to stay away from this style of beer.

Appearance: It poured black, aesthetically not bad for a stout beer.

Smell: A mixture of chocolate, some vanilla with hints of coffee. And the part that I think turned me away was the alcohol scent. It was just too strong for me. I don’t feel that beer should smell like the alcohol.

Taste: The taste was strong on the chocolate, more bitter dark chocolate that milk.

Mouth feel: Average, kinda watery.

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, not a session beer. I can’t see myself drinking this brew on any occasion.

I guess you can’t like al the styles of beer…. Too bad for me right…

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Package: 12-ounce bottle. Winter 2002-2003 vintage.

Appearance: Looks like black mud as it pours out of the bottle. Thick. Black. Thick tan head. So thick not even Superman can see through this beer.

Smell: Strong alcohol and chocolate aroma. Somewhat bready as well.

Taste: Very bitter and alcohol flavor up front. Tangy almost lemon-like zesty flavor is also present. There is an “odd” flavor that is present in the middle of the flavor timeline that I do not like but I can’t quite identify what it is. I just don’t like how it mixes with the other flavors. Chocolate malt flavor is also present. Roasted and burnt espresso aftertaste. Strong hop bitterness also present in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Thick and extremely chewy.

Drinkability: Super strong bitterness and alcohol flavor detracts from the drinkability.

Comments: For me it was not as good as it looked. I enjoyed the chocolate malt and espresso flavors but that “odd” flavor is just not my thing. Thank you Keith (stegmakk) for the bottle.

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

A-Poured black with tan 2 finger head. Looked delicious.

S- smelled lightly of chocolate. Alcohol smell was overbearing.

T- first sip was pretty bad imho. The alcohol taste reminded me of a cheap "ice" beer.
I dis notice as it got warmer that the alcohol didn't stand out as much and I was delighted as the chocolate, toasty' and liquorice taste came through.

M- mouthfeel was good. Pretty heavy, which I like.

O- wasn't very impressed but at the same time i'm new to this and it may be that the alcohol taste should stand out as it did. Loved the look of this stout but smell and taste was had a bit more alcohol presence than I like.

2.68/5  rDev -35.4%

Pours a deep dark black, little to no head, no lacing, just black as night. Smells of chocolate and coffee, maybe some nuts. tastes are muddled, but definitely too much of the burnt coffee present with the taste and dominant in aftertaste. Some chocolaty alcohol in there, but the burnt coffee is too much for me. I gave away 3 of my 6 pack.

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

This was my first imperial stout so my review might be a little bit off due to the higher alcohol content.

A: Poured a rich dark mocha 3 finger head. Deep rich black malt. Ultra dark. Head retention is great for such high alcohol content. Lasted long with excellent lacing. By the end the top of the glass still held laced head.

S: Dark chocolate, dark malt, little bit of alcohol. I really like how sweet the dark chocolate smells. Deep rich cocoa that lasts.

T: Deep rich cocoa and dark malts. Alcohol is definitely there and warming. The finish lingers with espresso and cocoa. Not bitter at all. Alcohol flavor really reduces the grade.

M: Creamy but not as much as Guinness. There is a full bodied almost thick and chewy feel but not entirely there. The more is swish it around in my mouth the thicker and more enjoyable the feel is.

D: Although some stouts I really enjoy, this isn't one of them. Making something high alcohol without blending it more the alco flavor is too paramount. The beer flavor should be the high note not the low note against the alcohol. Maybe its me I love the chocolate and espresso notes but the alcohol doesn't make me want to have another.

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

A: black as night rich looking mocha head pretty good looking beer for the style

S: I did not expect this much alcohol on the nose also getting some dark chocolate and some acidity also roasted notes are there as well.

T: Very highly roasted alcohol is there in the taste not masked too well not that much chocolate. Not a smooth beer at all. I can taste some hops as well.

M: Medium body with med carbonation

Overall: There is no chocolate in this beer except chocolate malt I think this beer is a bit misleading. Not too much chocolate taste to the beer either. I also find the beer too roasty for my tastes.

Appearance: 1 inch head, black, with a light cocoa looking head

Smell: burnt malt, sugar, and dark chocolate

Taste: chocolate syrup, burnt malt, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: sweet, dry, full bodied, chalky

Drinkability: One is enough for me, especially with the high ABV. To me this drinks way more like a Baltic Porter than a RIS. It is very sweet, but not in a good way and the alcohol is too pronounced.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

creamy and milk chocolatey right when the cap is popped...a bit of tobacco and dark stone fruits on the nose.

malty and kinda tangy with bitter chocolate overtones in the mouth...over roasted coffee beans..the odd tanginess is slightly fruity and i feel like it doesn't belong here...long lasting...

as it warms it doesn't get any better...

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

poured into a snifter.

poured like oil. it was black and creamy. had a moderate head that was chocolate brown, lasted a short while, then melted into the beer.

smelled of dark roasted malts loaded with chocolate and coffee. chocolate was the definate leader of the pack with a close finish to the malt then the coffee.

the flavor was filled with bittersweet dark chocolate that was melted over a camp fire, smoke infused.

very full and very thick. was ok, but not a major fan of dark dark chocolate. was a bit hard to handle.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Brown lacing atop a jet black brew.

There isn't very much on the nose.

The palate has some cocoa and a wooden hops character. It doesn't seem to go with the style.

The finish is very bitter and not very chocolatey. There is a chalky character from the cocoa?

I found this brew rather disappointing.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Split a bottle of this with my husband on 10/1/2011.

Lets start this review with my kind of apology/explanation.

I really do like stouts! I don't always like Russian Imperial Stouts, but generally I do like stouts!

Really!

Ok, here goes:

The appearance was dark black with a slightly tan head. There was more head in my husband's sample glass than in mine, but that happens sometimes.

Scent: dark, acrid, slightly sour. I'm slightly concerned at this point, but my mind is still open.

Sigh, the taste is where I just didn't get it.

Dark dry and musty that fades to a dark very acrid/burnt chocolate. Ends slightly sour on my palate. Not sweet, not sour, really *ashy* like extremely charred coffee.

Body is medium to rich. Very nice texture to it.

I'm not a fan of this beer at all. When I drink overly dark roasted poor quality coffee, I start getting pain in my hands and knees (my bad spots) and this beer flared up these tender/painful points just like overly charred poor quality coffee.

I'm not giving up on the style since generally I like stouts and I like some RIS's, but this is not the beer for me.

2.78/5  rDev -33%

Winter 05-06 bottle right after they ramped up the alcohol, year old 12oz bottle poured into a Belgian tulip.

Appearance- Solid black with a thin head of tan foam. Lacing is like glue and leaves legs on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Chocolate and espresso with much roasty malts and some hop bitterness. A bit of lactose creaminess in the nose, but not too much. The bulk majority is the perception of milk chocolate.

Taste- Wow, everything that was previously great about this beer is now gone. The big chocolate flavour is now just a lingering memory. Alcohol burn and hop bitterness is most of what is left. The smooth creaminess is gone and now we have a very difficult to drink stout in our glass.

Mouthfeel- Sticky and cloying. Creaminess that should be there is hardly there at all. Bittering hops seem to have replaced this and make this much less of an enjoyable brew.

Drinkability- Nearly a drain pour. For some reason when they ramped up the alcohol they decided not to taste test the batch and this beer has suffered. This year's batch (06-07) is much better still having the big alcohol but retaining it's previous chocolate character.

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me start off by saying I am one of many who didn't fall in love with this beer. Perhaps it was the hype. I read so many positive posts and talked to my beer guy, thought it was going to be gold in a bottle.
A- Poured a dark black, with a nice head that faded quickly. The head was chocolate brown in color that had minimal lacing. I was very excited to taste based on looks.
S- Smelled of hazy chocolate in the distance, however more roasted malts, and of alcohol.
T- The taste was a bit surprising in the sense that it had a lot less chocolate that I had anticipated. I wasn't expecting chocolate milk, but it was totally over powered by the strong alcoholic smell.
M- It wasn't bad in the mouth, but the alcohol was too strong. Laced the mouth and stuck around in the throat.
D- I think if I was more into sipping, which this beer is intended for, it may be nicer. I didn't chug it, but I may have sipped too frequently to let my pallet adjust. I have 5 more to try and get it right.
Overall, I think I'll stick with the hoppy kick that I've been on, and leave this behind.

Footnote- The second was nicer, a klittle more gentle, and enjoyed a little more.

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Found a bottle of 02 in my cellar. poured into a glass still maintained a substantial head the nose still has a nice roasty chocolate presence, but one gets a bit of sourness intermingled. in the mouth one still gets a good dose of carbonation, but these beer has passed its peak. the sourness on the nose comes through on the palate and coats the side of the mouth while the chocolate malts slide over the tounge. the aftertaste is much better than the initial flavoring, leaving behind a roasty flavor.
just came back to this beer after 30 odd minutes the noose got stronger but hte palate definitly fell apart. this beer works much better as a two year old

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

A- Really thick dark and syrupy... zero light coming through the glass

S-Smells like alcohol with a little bit of chocolate and coffee and roasted malts.

T- Bitter chocolate, overwhelming alcohol taste that ruins the beer imo.

M-Smooth and drinkable.

O- I felt this beer was average at best for the style. The alcohol takes over the taste of the beer once it starts to warm up imo, so I think its best to drink this cold. (unless you like the alcohol taste).

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery