Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
JerseyKirk

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

This was my first imperial stout so my review might be a little bit off due to the higher alcohol content.

A: Poured a rich dark mocha 3 finger head. Deep rich black malt. Ultra dark. Head retention is great for such high alcohol content. Lasted long with excellent lacing. By the end the top of the glass still held laced head.

S: Dark chocolate, dark malt, little bit of alcohol. I really like how sweet the dark chocolate smells. Deep rich cocoa that lasts.

T: Deep rich cocoa and dark malts. Alcohol is definitely there and warming. The finish lingers with espresso and cocoa. Not bitter at all. Alcohol flavor really reduces the grade.

M: Creamy but not as much as Guinness. There is a full bodied almost thick and chewy feel but not entirely there. The more is swish it around in my mouth the thicker and more enjoyable the feel is.

D: Although some stouts I really enjoy, this isn't one of them. Making something high alcohol without blending it more the alco flavor is too paramount. The beer flavor should be the high note not the low note against the alcohol. Maybe its me I love the chocolate and espresso notes but the alcohol doesn't make me want to have another.

03-18-2011 22:35:52 | More by JerseyKirk
JamisonM

Arizona

2.73/5  rDev -34.2%

A: black as night rich looking mocha head pretty good looking beer for the style

S: I did not expect this much alcohol on the nose also getting some dark chocolate and some acidity also roasted notes are there as well.

T: Very highly roasted alcohol is there in the taste not masked too well not that much chocolate. Not a smooth beer at all. I can taste some hops as well.

M: Medium body with med carbonation

Overall: There is no chocolate in this beer except chocolate malt I think this beer is a bit misleading. Not too much chocolate taste to the beer either. I also find the beer too roasty for my tastes.

05-10-2011 22:24:41 | More by JamisonM
tigg924

Appearance: 1 inch head, black, with a light cocoa looking head

Smell: burnt malt, sugar, and dark chocolate

Taste: chocolate syrup, burnt malt, and alcohol

Mouthfeel: sweet, dry, full bodied, chalky

Drinkability: One is enough for me, especially with the high ABV. To me this drinks way more like a Baltic Porter than a RIS. It is very sweet, but not in a good way and the alcohol is too pronounced.

06-12-2009 14:25:58 | More by tigg924
StoutSlut

08-20-2013 00:01:27 | More by StoutSlut
dasunder

Tennessee

11-22-2012 22:48:22 | More by dasunder
treehouse

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

creamy and milk chocolatey right when the cap is popped...a bit of tobacco and dark stone fruits on the nose.

malty and kinda tangy with bitter chocolate overtones in the mouth...over roasted coffee beans..the odd tanginess is slightly fruity and i feel like it doesn't belong here...long lasting...

as it warms it doesn't get any better...

02-24-2011 01:37:40 | More by treehouse
dharmabum1102

03-06-2014 21:31:41 | More by dharmabum1102
dlin0sbb

06-12-2012 21:08:28 | More by dlin0sbb
Anthony1

Colorado

poured into a snifter.

poured like oil. it was black and creamy. had a moderate head that was chocolate brown, lasted a short while, then melted into the beer.

smelled of dark roasted malts loaded with chocolate and coffee. chocolate was the definate leader of the pack with a close finish to the malt then the coffee.

the flavor was filled with bittersweet dark chocolate that was melted over a camp fire, smoke infused.

very full and very thick. was ok, but not a major fan of dark dark chocolate. was a bit hard to handle.

08-20-2009 16:39:20 | More by Anthony1
DawnL

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Brown lacing atop a jet black brew.

There isn't very much on the nose.

The palate has some cocoa and a wooden hops character. It doesn't seem to go with the style.

The finish is very bitter and not very chocolatey. There is a chalky character from the cocoa?

I found this brew rather disappointing.

09-16-2009 15:52:47 | More by DawnL
timwmccann

12-27-2012 21:28:12 | More by timwmccann
ElizabethCraig

Indiana

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

Split a bottle of this with my husband on 10/1/2011.

Lets start this review with my kind of apology/explanation.

I really do like stouts! I don't always like Russian Imperial Stouts, but generally I do like stouts!

Really!

Ok, here goes:

The appearance was dark black with a slightly tan head. There was more head in my husband's sample glass than in mine, but that happens sometimes.

Scent: dark, acrid, slightly sour. I'm slightly concerned at this point, but my mind is still open.

Sigh, the taste is where I just didn't get it.

Dark dry and musty that fades to a dark very acrid/burnt chocolate. Ends slightly sour on my palate. Not sweet, not sour, really *ashy* like extremely charred coffee.

Body is medium to rich. Very nice texture to it.

I'm not a fan of this beer at all. When I drink overly dark roasted poor quality coffee, I start getting pain in my hands and knees (my bad spots) and this beer flared up these tender/painful points just like overly charred poor quality coffee.

I'm not giving up on the style since generally I like stouts and I like some RIS's, but this is not the beer for me.

10-02-2011 17:05:11 | More by ElizabethCraig
ctrevino

Indiana

11-07-2012 21:49:39 | More by ctrevino
blakesell

2.78/5  rDev -33%

Winter 05-06 bottle right after they ramped up the alcohol, year old 12oz bottle poured into a Belgian tulip.

Appearance- Solid black with a thin head of tan foam. Lacing is like glue and leaves legs on the sides of the glass.

Smell- Chocolate and espresso with much roasty malts and some hop bitterness. A bit of lactose creaminess in the nose, but not too much. The bulk majority is the perception of milk chocolate.

Taste- Wow, everything that was previously great about this beer is now gone. The big chocolate flavour is now just a lingering memory. Alcohol burn and hop bitterness is most of what is left. The smooth creaminess is gone and now we have a very difficult to drink stout in our glass.

Mouthfeel- Sticky and cloying. Creaminess that should be there is hardly there at all. Bittering hops seem to have replaced this and make this much less of an enjoyable brew.

Drinkability- Nearly a drain pour. For some reason when they ramped up the alcohol they decided not to taste test the batch and this beer has suffered. This year's batch (06-07) is much better still having the big alcohol but retaining it's previous chocolate character.

01-08-2008 01:42:29 | More by blakesell
andrewt960

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

Let me start off by saying I am one of many who didn't fall in love with this beer. Perhaps it was the hype. I read so many positive posts and talked to my beer guy, thought it was going to be gold in a bottle.
A- Poured a dark black, with a nice head that faded quickly. The head was chocolate brown in color that had minimal lacing. I was very excited to taste based on looks.
S- Smelled of hazy chocolate in the distance, however more roasted malts, and of alcohol.
T- The taste was a bit surprising in the sense that it had a lot less chocolate that I had anticipated. I wasn't expecting chocolate milk, but it was totally over powered by the strong alcoholic smell.
M- It wasn't bad in the mouth, but the alcohol was too strong. Laced the mouth and stuck around in the throat.
D- I think if I was more into sipping, which this beer is intended for, it may be nicer. I didn't chug it, but I may have sipped too frequently to let my pallet adjust. I have 5 more to try and get it right.
Overall, I think I'll stick with the hoppy kick that I've been on, and leave this behind.

Footnote- The second was nicer, a klittle more gentle, and enjoyed a little more.

03-07-2008 01:51:36 | More by andrewt960
beerkeeper

Maryland

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%

Found a bottle of 02 in my cellar. poured into a glass still maintained a substantial head the nose still has a nice roasty chocolate presence, but one gets a bit of sourness intermingled. in the mouth one still gets a good dose of carbonation, but these beer has passed its peak. the sourness on the nose comes through on the palate and coats the side of the mouth while the chocolate malts slide over the tounge. the aftertaste is much better than the initial flavoring, leaving behind a roasty flavor.
just came back to this beer after 30 odd minutes the noose got stronger but hte palate definitly fell apart. this beer works much better as a two year old

09-17-2005 00:02:17 | More by beerkeeper
blacklabel67k

2.85/5  rDev -31.3%

A- Really thick dark and syrupy... zero light coming through the glass

S-Smells like alcohol with a little bit of chocolate and coffee and roasted malts.

T- Bitter chocolate, overwhelming alcohol taste that ruins the beer imo.

M-Smooth and drinkable.

O- I felt this beer was average at best for the style. The alcohol takes over the taste of the beer once it starts to warm up imo, so I think its best to drink this cold. (unless you like the alcohol taste).

01-25-2012 22:34:43 | More by blacklabel67k
NJpadreFan

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Brooklyn- Black Chocolate Stout

Appearance- Dark black with a dark tan head. Good loking lacing at the top of my glass.
Smell- Sweet chocolate, heavy with the sugar.
Taste- A chocolate coffee blend with 10 scoops of sugar! Too sweet.
Mouthfeel- The sugary sweetness is just too much. It hurts the cheeks. Warming and slightly bitter in the end. Alcohol is hidden.

Overall- If you like your Stout's packed with sugar this is your cup of tea, otherwise I'll pass.

09-27-2006 23:39:13 | More by NJpadreFan
scottum

Vermont

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Served nice black black with a short brown head. Chocolate is big and strong. Way too strong!!! I love how the smoked taste blends in with the rest of the malts. This beer would be very good, but they tried to pack too much chocolate into it and that just did not work out for them. My advise: try again on the recipe, but this time don't be so coco-happy.

12-01-2003 13:03:58 | More by scottum
gkatsoris

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%

A: The head alone is what sells it; 2-3 fingers high, and it will not fall. The head is a nice chestnutty brown, and the beer; Black. I mean no light penetrates this beer, scary.

S: Kinda alcoholy. Slightly nutty. Honestly not much there.

T: Hints of chocolate, very alcoholy, and again not much there.

M: Very creamy. Not much carbonation. The beer coats the tongue nicely. Goes down very smooth.

D: I kinda think this beer will be sooo much better in 6 mo to a year. I just hope I can keep them in the closet for that long.

12-20-2007 23:03:12 | More by gkatsoris
lbkornlb14

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

This beer had a great coffee smell, and taste, i held it up to a 100W bulb and couldnt see through it, I find beers of this nature, for me, hard to drink. They seem to be too much, and get dumped after 3/4's. I mean, if stouts/imperial stouts are your thing, youd probably love this, but I wasnt a fan, good job as always by Brooklyn but I would never get again.

10-16-2008 04:12:14 | More by lbkornlb14
talkingpoints

Connecticut

2.93/5  rDev -29.4%

Just brought home the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout and was ready for that famed experience that the limited bottling implied. The pour was impressive as a dark chocolate filled my beer mug, the smell was pretty good with those hints of chocolate coming to bear. The taste, this part gets tricky. At first I thought it was exceptional on the mouth but then this taste of alcohol just overpowered the beer, which is weird since this is a chocolate stout. It was a decent stout but you couldn't drink more than one in a sitting. I will probably move on to something else for the winter without looking back.

10-27-2004 13:39:38 | More by talkingpoints
tyee

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

This is a black, black beer that I was excited to see hitting the Chicago market. It poured completely black with a a short tan head. The smell was coffee, sweetness and soy sauce. The taste was coffee, burnt malts and a little bit of chocolate. The mouth feel was frothy. This beer tasted young and was kind of a mess. I found the carbonation to be quite high for a RIS. The 10.6% alcohol was noticable.Overall, I found this harsh and difficult to drink. Maybe a couple of years in the cellar will do it good.

02-01-2007 16:14:56 | More by tyee
ChowHound

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

I love an imperial stout, and this one at first glance and whiff appeared to be a winner. Very dark with a creamy looking tannish head. Aroma of soft chocolates, dried beef, and roasted nuts had my mouth watering. Carbonation was too low in my estimation, and the flavor, while rich with chocolate malts, was too sweet and the texture too thin for an imperial stout. Also, a very strong taste of alcohol was always present, not something I like in a beer. Nasty aftertaste as well. For all its reputation, this brewery should be putting out better beers.

02-20-2005 18:11:30 | More by ChowHound
cmkendrick

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured a 12oz bottle into my favorite pint..

L - Looks like a glass of dark chocolate, with a little tan head.

S - Roasted malts, and of course a little chocolatey.

T - I taste the chocolate and little coffee, but the burnt taste is a little overpowering and it leaves a pretty bitter/tangy aftertaste for me.

F/D - A thick and smooth feel, but also with a little higher carbonation than I would prefer. The alcohol doesn't come through too strong at 10%, but the bitter/burnt taste for this beer makes it a slow sipper for me.

12-21-2010 03:50:07 | More by cmkendrick