2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Ratings: 5,197 | Reviews: 2,621 | Show All Ratings:
PorterLambic

4.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served up iblack with dark brown, cooca powder colered head. Head drops to very little, a film.
Smell is malt, hops, chocolate, a hint of smoke.
Taste is creamy, chocolate,vanilla, smoke, toffee and alcohol.
Smooth, creamy, rich, full bodied, slightly warming.
Very good, a well above the crowd porter.

03-03-2008 00:58:36 | More by PorterLambic
SierraGS

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

I was SO happy when I wandered into Alibi's (Carlisle, PA) for an after-work treat and found this on tap! It was served in a 16 oz glass with a creamy tan head.

The beverage itself was pitch black and had a wonderful aroma of slightly over baked chocolate cake. The flavor, however, imparted more of a burning alcohol bite on the tongue than the smooth, sweet chocolate I was anticipating (at over 10%, I should have expected that, but the aroma threw me off.) It was more like a warming liquor than the crisp, hoppy beers I usually favor, but I really enjoyed every sip.

This certainly isn't a thin beer, but it wasn't so thick to be described as chewy or coating. The flavor perfectly filled my mouth and lingered on for some time, as did the lacing on the glass - from top to bottom, remnants of the caramel head lined the sides.

02-07-2008 02:36:44 | More by SierraGS
shabbtastic

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured a pitch black with a density so thick no light what so ever passes through.

S - Full chocolate roasted malts we dominate, sweet and inviting up front with toffee tones in the back.

T / M - Like silk! Full, creamy and oh so delish! Coffee and chocolate notes fill the month with full creamy texture, the finish is smooth as well.

D - One of my favorite RIS. I love Brooklyn's styles and this one is top notch. I would have given this a 4.5 or 5 but the ABV @ 10.6% it's reserved for a one and done session! Highly recommended.

01-29-2008 16:11:51 | More by shabbtastic
DrummerDan

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

I was really looking forward to my first sip of this year’s BBCS on draft until the chap next to me said it was ‘thin.’

When my glass was set in front of me, I immediately noticed a fruit smell and then a flavored coffee aroma. Not a definitive flavor but a cloudy coffee smell. The head was reasonable and had a nice creamy tone. My first sip tasted fantastic but yes it did indeed ‘feel’ thin. The alcohol is not pronounced, which did make it easier to down the entire pint. As it warmed it should have gotten tastier but the thinness was more obvious than it was cold. Overall okay, but I’ll try the bottled version when I get a chance.

12-14-2007 08:07:44 | More by DrummerDan
meechum

Georgia

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured on tap at the Brick Store into a Brooklyn chalice and served at cellar temp

A - Arrived at the bar a dark black with fading dark tan head into a nice impressive lacing

S - Smell of roasted cocoa beans along with a spicey smell (nutmeg possibly). Hints of raisins or prunes...along with a small whiff of warming alcohol..very inviting

T - The taste was very complex..strong notes of coffee and bitter chocolate along with a sweetness of fruit and currants...a nice dry hop finish round out the taste experience giving an overall taste characteristic that can only be described as rich

M - A thick, viscous feel of this brew coats the mouth and the alcohol warm the mouth and throat

D - Certainly what I call a "desert" beer or a night cap beer..this is to be sipped and enjoyed and should in my opinion be the finish of the night...but it's a damn good finish

11-30-2007 17:56:40 | More by meechum
holzmann

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours pitch black with minimal head (I suppose I expected more of a creamy head on top). The color definitely lets you know what you are getting into. It has a very nice chocolaty nose, however this is accompanied by a fairly strong alcoholic smell, that almost gives this brew a cheap character. Feels full bodied on the tongue and has a strong, yet not overwhelming chocolate taste that finishes with smooth notes of dark, almost bitter, chocolate.
My initial thoughts were that calling this a "beer" is a bit of a stretch. So much of the experience that this brew provides makes me think "chocolate barley wine?" Overall, great taste, but this one definitely does not kick back easily.

11-18-2007 15:54:57 | More by holzmann
armock

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Poured a very dark brown color with a light brown head

S - Sweet malts caramel an of course chocolate

T - The smells carried on over to the taste caramel and chocolate

M - Very smooth and creamy

D - This brew has a great taste and is very smooth easy to drink just gets a little filling after a few

11-15-2007 17:46:18 | More by armock
garcia2a

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

The cold weather is now welcome, Mr. Oliver's magic brew has landed.

Pours out with an opaque ruby-brown tone and a thin lacy head. Just enough residual malts and sugars for the beer to rim the glass when swirled. Very faint carbonation, just enough to catch your attention for a moment.

The smell was once again magnificent. Pronounced hints of malt, grain and chocolate. The first sip of this year's was slightly different than the past few years. This beer was a bit sweeter, as I surmised from the rimming. The sweet and the chocolate gave this a very crisp finish, probably the crispest I can remember, although I have a 95-96 bottle in the cellar.

Mouthfeel was great, as the grains and the chocolate really gave the old taste buds a workout. The sweetness added an interesting dimension.

This is a highly drinkable brew that I believe will improve with age. Have a few this year and put the rest away til 2012.

11-13-2007 05:37:37 | More by garcia2a
fank2788

Connecticut

Sampled on tap at The Spot in Bethel, CT
Very nice appearance deep black with great lacing on the glass. Pretty typical on the nose nothing great but it hits all the major points chocolate, caramel, dark roasted malts with spicy hops underneath. The taste is nice fairly sweet but well balanced by bitter hops not a typical american RIS it is much more subtle in the hoppiness, which I like. The mouthfeel is nice also, mine was served too cold but as it warmed the fullness and smoothness of this beer began to come through. Drinkability is good also the 10+ abv is well hidden here in a balanced beer, I've had better but this isn't bad

11-13-2007 00:38:49 | More by fank2788
jjboesen

Maryland

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

During a Halloween visit to RFD in Washington DC, I tried this wonderful expression of Russian Imperial Stout. What says "trick or treat" like a pint of chocolate?

Served in a goblet at the correct temperature, this stout introduces itself with an inch thick head of beige foam; eventually, it ebbs down the side of the glass leaving in its' wake a thin lace along the side. The settled product is pitch black and waiting...

Initially, I detected the bitter traces of dark chocolate with a slight hint of the molasses. Velvety smooth mouthfeel with malty aftertaste. The one flaw was the lack of nose, but then this has never been a strongpoint of mine either.

In any case, I enjoyed this one. While it cannot compare with my favorite Russian Imperial, Old Rasputin, it is an exceptional quaff that, like anything from this great brewery, is always worth seeking, finding, enjoying and reveiwing. Cheers!

11-03-2007 22:10:36 | More by jjboesen
stereosforgeeks

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance - The tap poured a jet black color into my pint. There was a creamy brown light head,

Aroma - The roasted malts, chocolate, espresso are the major notes here. In the background are some blackcurrant notes, anise, and vanilla traces, and lastly some alcohol traces.

Taste – There is a strong roasted malt bitterness, major smoked chocolate notes. The espresso, peppery hops, and anise complete the finish.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and creamy full bodied brew. Coats the mouth with roasted chocolates.

Drinkability - Wow can't taste that 10%. Great stout.

03-14-2007 00:48:34 | More by stereosforgeeks
Liquids

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

The pour may have been nitro, but this beer took five minutes or more to settle and was like a third of a glass of beer and half head after the first poart of the pour...totally thick and creamy. The head was ultra brown. Thing of beauty. Smell was hoppy imperial stout, with that slightly stale aroma I notice in a lot of brooklyn stuff--floral hops in style, but more of dying flowers. Taste was full and similar to the aroma, add a roasty smooth malt flavor that was appealing and very drinkable, but as it warmed the stringing alcohol, and dying flowers poked through. It's not that the taste was bad, but big beers and stouts, other than alcohol, tend to have the taste (and score) bias due to the intensity of flavors compared to paler-malted brews. This doesn't mean they taste better, they just stand out more. Given the style, the flavor here was on par and average for a typically above-average style. This does not mean it tasted bad, it tasted delicious, it just lacked a certain something to put it over the top in the catergory, flavor wise. Mouthfeel was unmistakably full, and points given for the beer-head-mustache I had on the first sip. This beer slammed me on an empty-other-than-peanuts stomach, and I didn't totally realize it was 10% until too late. Half the glass was still full after about ten minutes, but I had to put her down for 20 minutes and sip slowly after that, as I started floating.

I've had better, but this is a good brew. Of note, I didn't like it in the bottle when I tried it last year, but I would get this on tap again, despite the generally 'middle of the road' ratings.

02-19-2007 16:29:53 | More by Liquids
shivtim

Georgia

4.15/5  rDev 0%

On tap at a BW3 in Mishawaka, during the North Carolina/Duke basketball game (which I won a 25 cent bet on). Also, the US beat Mexico in soccer, 2-0.
Anyway, served in a pint glass, a beautiful opaque black with hints of brown and a small dark black head. Excellent so far. Nose is heavy roasted malts, sweet chocolate, and the slightest hint of sweet ethanol on warming. Taste is nice thick roasted malts with hints of milk chocolate, and lingering bitter chocolate in the finish. A little bit syrupy. Full mouthfeel, quite smooth. Drinkability is good, but watch out for that ABV. I had no idea this was over 10%, the alcohol is very well hidden. I would have guessed 6% or so.

02-08-2007 05:21:51 | More by shivtim
auxiliary

Rhode Island

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I love chocolate so i was all over this like a hot dog LOL.

appearance - Color is black, nice brownish tan head, watch it, i poured it too fast and it overflowed almost. Nice lacing, one of the best.

smell - is a mix of chocolate, malts, coffee, mmm nice.

taste - was like a mix of chocolate and roasted malts.

mouthfeel - Full bodied, little strong, ABV is 10% wow!

drinkability - This was the 06-07 bottle.Love this thing, I have one more left in my fridge, hope to go out find some more.

** Drank the 07-08 on tap , still yummy!

01-27-2007 22:09:30 | More by auxiliary
aforbes10

Iowa

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I'd just tried this year's bottling back in Indiana, and now at the Drafting Room in PA i see the 2005 version on tap. I jumped at the chance. Served in a snifter looking very dark brown to black with a little chocolate brown head. Odor is bitter cooking chocolate and some indecipherable dark fruits. Smells delicious and tamer than the fresh version. Taste is a fantastic chocolate with slight bitterness. Some cherries among the chocolate. Coffee on the finish. amazingly well balanced. velvety smooth. a deluxe drink experience. A year's aging does wonders for this already fantastic brew.

12-29-2006 16:14:34 | More by aforbes10
Umbra

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a dark black with dark tan head. Retention and lacing within the large wine glass was stunning. Aromas of roasted malts and cocoa.
Big dark chocolate and bitter espresso notes. Bittterness sort of sat there on the tongue, without enough caramel from the malts to throw it off the couch. Came off less creamy than I had expected, yet still had a very light mouthfeel as it was considerably less viscous than other examples.

Overall, I unfortunately received this and the Young's Double Chocolate at the same time to share. The creamy, vanilla goodness of Young's was really what I was looking for at the time, which detracted from my overall enjoyment with the Brooklyn version. Very good nonetheless.

12-04-2006 19:28:18 | More by Umbra
BBM

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Had this one on tap, and like it better than from a bottle. It pours a thick black color with a nice brown head and good lacing. Too much alcohol in the nose, but there is also hints of chocolate, coffee, and dark fruits.

More impressed with the taste fomr the tap than from the bottle. The flavors were much more complex, and seemed to dance on the tastebuds for a longer period of time. Black coffee, baker's chocolate, a hint of bitter hops all to be found. Mouthfeel is chewy and a bit sticky. It's a high ABV, so drinkability isn't great. But this really is a finely crafted winter beer.

12-02-2006 23:12:38 | More by BBM
tommy78

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

I was finally able to try this beer on tap, and it is truly excellent. The appearance of the 06-07 version was a consistent chocolate colour. The smell is what makes this beer great. It had a more intense coffee aroma than the bottled version. In fact, I would go as far as saying it had a bite. The aroma definently drew me in. The taste matched the aroma: a combination of coffee malts and sweet cocoa. The mouthfeel is mostly smooth, with some kick to it. Given the high alcohol content, the drinkability is exceptional. I ended having three pints in one sitting, and I barely noticed it. It is worth the price of admission!

11-07-2006 00:32:22 | More by tommy78
Calico

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

I've had the '02-'03, the '03-'04, the'04-'05, the'05-'06, and this one (the '06-'07) in bottles. All of them impressed me.

The '06-'07 on tap, though... when I was pouring it at the Real Beer Expo in Rochester, it had a nice roasty chocolately slightly musty aroma, what I expect in a Russian Imperial Stout. I had it on tap more recently, though, and it has a very strong diacetyl note in the aroma. Quite jarring. Not what I'd expect. I should note it was served at way too cold a temperature, though.

Appearance: quite dark, marvelous head, good retention.

Smell: butterscotch dominates. I can barely make out some caramel and chocolate notes.

Taste: Was served too cool for me to really judge. I detect some roasty notes amid the maltiness.

Mouthfeel: Good and thick, as I'd expect. Full body, slightly syrupy feel coating tongue.

Drinkability: After one of these, I was drowsy. That does not normally happen to me after one beer. If a half-pint were an option at this particular pub, that's what I'd order.

11-03-2006 01:52:28 | More by Calico
plaid75

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a dead black hue with a 2 finger pillowy tan head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell was a strong upfront coffee and chocolate aroma. Good toasted grain element as well.

The taste consisted of a sweet chocolate and caramell ballanced by a solid coffee and burnt grain. Not overly sweet. ABV was hid well.

The mouthfeel was heavy and chewy.

Overall a very drinkable imperial. ABV is hidden well.

10-16-2006 14:37:02 | More by plaid75
bklynbeerbaron

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

On tap at the Lazy Boy Saloon, White Plains. Poured into a Brooklyn Brewery weizen glass.

Appearance: Pitch black, ain't no light gettin' through this sucker. A gorgeous, tan, creamy head that lingered to the bottom of the glass. What every stout should look like.

Smell: A sweet aroma of roasted chocolate.

Taste and mouthfeel: No hop flavor here, just plenty of roasted malts, which creates a flavor similar to a piece of really good bittersweet chocolate. Alcoholic bite comes across similar to a liqueur-flavored truffle and is slightly warming. Finish is vaguely smoky. Mouthfeel is superb: smooth, creamy and rich without being cloying.

Drinkability: Yeah, it's a sipper. A beer I could sip all night, 8.5 ABV be damned.

Notes: Just a big, bad, beautiful stout. Went great with the burger I had, though I'm sure it's even better with any chocolate dessert.

07-17-2006 03:42:57 | More by bklynbeerbaron
dragonbrew

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this one recently at the brewery. Right up front I'll say it, a fine beer, my absolute favorite from Brooklyn. Even had to take a few bottled versions home, same results.

Fantastic black beauty with deep brown head that virtually stuck to the sides of my glass. Looked and felt like I was drinking an ice cream float, only tasted much better.

Robust roasted malt hints overwhelm the nose right away, leading right into the taste, which was fenominal. Hard for me to separate the two since the olfactory sense is hard to divide into two with this one. Chocolate and black java are the key tastes. Dry hop after taste is very remarkable finishing touch.

This one is velvety smooth even creamy in the mouth. Not for the faint of heart, a heavy beer great in the fall and winter.

It's hard to hide that I'm a huge fan, so I'll admitt it, I'll have again and again and would recommend it to any fan of big stouts.

07-13-2006 16:24:07 | More by dragonbrew
BillyB

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Someone spiked my chocolate milk shake with whiskey!

Appearance is Black as night during a full eclipse.

Sweet chocalatey aroma like I've never smelled before. You'd think that Hershey brewed this beer instead of Brooklyn.

Taste is nothing short of amazing. Chocolate meets sharp alcohol in an amazing balance!

Mouthfeel is incredibly full and creamy.
Drinkability is up to you. It's a very big beer but I say bring it on! My friend had this on tap in his house and we worked on kicking it for a while. It was hard work but we did it.
Try it with a brownie and some vanilla ice cream.

06-04-2006 18:32:15 | More by BillyB
cracgor

4.4/5  rDev +6%

My pint was a stark black beer with a little ring of dark brown head. Not very impressive looking at all. Just a run of the mill look to it. It did have a nice floral, burnt malt smell to it. Not as fruity as it was just a sweet fragrance. The beer itself, had an awesome taste to it. Like milk chocolate, with a good hint of spicy hops. It is definitely an american version, but not over the top with the hops like some others I like much less. The beer is velvety smooth, like a chocolate shake. No hint of alcohol on it. Drinks very well. Maybe not enough complexity to drink all week, but enough good taste to keep me wanting a second.

03-23-2006 06:00:21 | More by cracgor
AlexJ

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

How is it possible that I have never reviewed this beer? It has sustained me and kept insanity at bay through many cold winters living in NE PA and CT.

Pours like black India ink, thick and viscous with great legs. A draft pour produces a thick, whipped brown froth that clings like Cool Whip, before settling down to a tight cap.

Aroma boasts of expertly toasted dark malts, liquified chocolate, booze-soaked raisins and plum, espresso, fruity licorice, and bittersweet fruity hops.

Flavor is creamy dark chocolate covered raisins melting in a hot cup of fresh espresso. Massive malt complexity, burnt caramel, licorice, English toffee, plum, and creamy vanilla creme brule'. It's perfectly balanced by plenty of pine, fruity citrus, and sweet floral hops. No trace of the strength. This year's version tastes like it's allready been aged it's so smooth.

Body is full, but not huge. Mouthfeel is like liquid silk with a creamy, slippery texture that is a joy to roll around your tongue. Infinately drinkable, a great food and dessert beer, and something I look forward to every year.

01-26-2006 22:01:03 | More by AlexJ