Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,723 | Hads: 6,261
3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Winter '03-'04 bottling.

Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout is a great accompaniment to the cool weather. This is a beer that really does epitomize what a winter seasonal should be. If I had a fireplace I could imagine sitting by it, lounging back, and drinking a pint of this brew.

The brew pours a lovely near pitch-black color with some hints of sanguinous red to it. A dark tan foam forms, but thins out in a few moments after pouring. The smell heavily consists of the dark roasted aromas thanks to the burnt/black malts. Notes of espresso and some chocolate are noticable. There is a bit of carbonation in the beer, but not too much. The mouthfeel felt a bit sticky, adding to the "rich" persona of the brew. The flavor is thick and intense with notes of caramel early on followed by chocolate, but the dark roasted coffee notes were the most dominant. There is some alcohol presence noticable while tasting, but it does not take control of the brew. Mixed with the alcohol is a dark rum-like flavor. The finishes out with a dry, roasted bitterness which lingers into the aftertaste. There is a bit of alcohol burn in the end, making this brew quite warming.

The one thing I might say against this beer is that I would drink one bottle of it and it felt like it was enough. This certainly wasn't brewed for sessions. A sipping beer all the way, and one of the more intense stouts that I have sampled. (1,414 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a black no light threw this baby, dark tan head that falls quickly. Aroma is lots of chocolate malt with light expresso aroma touch of dark fruity boquet with citrusy hops. Taste is great lots of burnt roasted chocolate malt great chocolate flavor with light coffee flavors touch of dark fruit and nice hoppy flavor and bite. Good long aftertaste of sweetness and bitterness perfect mixture. Brooklyn did one hell of a job with this beer. Mouthfeel is right where it should be. Drinkability is good nice sweet some say a dessert beer but had no problem having a couple anytime dessert or lunch or breakfast hell anytime is a good time :) (643 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Opaque.

Fantastic, evil aroma with notes of mocha, deep dark chcocolate, peanut butter, coffee and roasted malt.

This is my ideal Imperial Stout as it had the ingredients that I usually desire. It had lots of deep rich malt notes rather than dark fruitiness that you find in some, yet I thought too much black malt was used in this one. Coffee, chocolate and mocha were present. For the style, this beer is alright. (421 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours like motor oil out of the bottle. Its basically the guy who says "You like those dark beers huh?"'s worst nightmare. Simply awesome appearance. Smell is roasted malt, chocolate and some alcohol. Taste is very smooth for a 8.5% ABV beer, though a tad sweet. Couldn't drink too many of these at once. Roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and a malty sweetness at the end. Very warming. Very pleasant aftertaste. One of the US imperial style stouts I've had. (463 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

This poured black and oily, with a huge brown head. The aroma is great with lots of chocolate and roasted maltiness. The taste is also great. Chocolate and roasted flavors but not bitter. Malty but not too sweet. Well balanced and very drinkable. The mouthfeel is very good, and the alcohol level is just right. (311 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

OMG!!

Seriously, that was the first thing I wrote in my tasting notes for this.

Ok.. If I'm being forced to use words..

Pours storm-king black, with a small, milk-chocolate head.

The first hit on the palate is tangy & sweet with roasted malts. The tanginess fades out by the midsip and the roasted malts kick in, with the first hint of chocolate in the background. The aftertaste is like a mix of semi-sweet chocolate and yogurt: chocolatey and tangy all at once. There's also a bit of alcohol that comes through in the aftertaste, but it doesn't distract at all.

The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and nearly perfect. And drinkability is way too easy for 8.5%. I went through the bottle in the blink of an eye.

Damn, this is good stuff. I'm going to have find this on-tap one day.

Wyll- (806 characters)

yet another beer i have been looking forward to tasting for some time (thanks again to malto). brooklyn stout wasnt as good as id hoped for, but still a very nice brew all the same. didnt have the flavor or complexity of the storm king i also tried, but wasnt as excessive in the hop department.

rich, dark looking stout with a tightly constructed tan colored head and wispy bubbles. smell was of dark cooking chocolate, with distinctive roasted coffee aromas down back. as with any US beer, always has that nostril clearing floral hops leading the band. taste was not as chocolatey, or sweet as i had hoped. this stout was actually quite robust and roasted, with chocolate, coffee, dried fruits and a small hint of dutch licorice rounding out the flavor. dry, bitter hops finish off the experience, but not as raspy as others in its class. i was overall expecting this to be alot smoother than it was, but its ballsy makeup did not offend my palate thats for sure. funny that this was kind of topsy turvy in its make up compared to other US beers ive tried.

very different to what i thought would lurk within its bottle, but still a fine drinking experience and one i would not pass up again in the future. up there with some of the worlds finest stouts without question. (1,279 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

12 ounce bottle, winter 02-03 vintage. Pours black and dense, with a minimal tiny bubble film/head. Nose of burnt malt and alcohol.. Large and lovely this beer is soft, subtle and smooth. also strong, flavorful and satisfying. Notes of burnt malt, expresso, motor oil, rocket fuel. this classy sipper has it all. Put a few bottles away for a year or two, its worth it. (368 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a viscous jet black that no light can escape. A small chocolatey offwhite head appears about an quarter inch thick and laces the glass forever.

Smell: Aromas of roasted malts, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, burnt malts, and alcohol.

Taste: Initial burnt and roasted malts hit up front. This is followed by a smooth chocolate and more roasted malts. Coffee is also in the mix and a slight nutty flavor as well. This beer finishes with a nice hop bitterness and a warm alcohol. YUM!

Mouthfeel: This beer is thick and chewy and just sticks to the mouth its so damn good. What a pleasure on the tongue.

Drinkability: With all the complex flavors of malts this beer is exceptional. (706 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

I've been looking forward to trying this beer. Imperial Stout is one of my favorite styles and Black Chocolate Stout is highly regarded. This is a '03-'04 vintage and I chilled it to about 60 degrees F. It pours into the chalice in a silky stream that gives up a 1/4" bronze head which subsides into a ring. The nose is slight. The taste is chocolate but rapidly delivers a surprise tang. The second taste and the tang is gone but the juiciness remains. This is an interestng sensation I don't often have. The result is a smooth mouthfeel.

The chocolatiness returns in the subsequent tastes and the mouthfeel is the silky sensation that matches the pour. I'm aware of the alcohol. This beer makes me curious.

I have other "go to " Imperial Stouts that are available locally that will keep me happy (Bell's Expedition, Rogue IS, North Coast Old Rasputin). This offering is similar to Victory Storm King. It's not the same as Storm King but it has the same attitude. I'll enjoy it again but I won't go out of my way to acquire it. I'm happy with my locally available Imperial Stouts. Thanks to francisweizen for the sample. (1,129 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

Very nice offering.
Pours dark black with minimal tan head.
aroma on this one was all chocolate, slight slight hint of roasted coffee.
Tatse was all chocolate, great after dinner beer with desert or on its own.
not as complex as Storm King, but it was very nice but just didn't have the complexity. (303 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours out a nice pitch black color with a little over an inch of tan foam. The head retention is fairly good as it sticks around for a few drinks and leaves a nice lace around the snifter as it is consumed. The aroma is reminiscent of Kahlua, with notes of coffee, dark chocolate and a slight hint of dark fruits. Taste is very much similar with a bitter sweet dark chocolate taste standing out front with roasted coffee and a slight earthy hop tone complementing it. The chocolate taste coats your mouth along with a nice full mouthfeel. This is another great example of a highly drinkable imperial stout. A great IS in every area, highly recommended. (652 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

2003/2004 release. Pours completely black with a coffee colored head that dissipated relatively quickly. Aroma has some hints of caramel, cherry, black licorice, and roasted malts - but the overall scent I pick up is that of dark chocolate liqueor. This brew coats the mouth like syrup & is bittersweet. More licorice & cherry in the flavor profile, but also, of course, loads of dark chocolate. Alcohol is significantly more upfront than I would have hoped, though the brew becomes more well-rounded as it warms. All kinds of heavily roasted/burnt malt throughout. Finishes a little dry with long lasting chocolate truffle, espresso, & dark cherry. (649 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Standard Brown 12 oz. bottle, vintage winter ’03-‘04
Aroma: Rich coffee, chocolate malts and a slight bittersweet blend, very inviting.
Appearance: I got a thin leather brown head that was fed by several streams of carbonation. A few small fingers of lace trailed after a very modest ring (I may need to take better care of my glassware). It looks like a glass of midnight; I had to put it right up against a bulb to get a few rays of light through that just showed clear black. Not brown, not ruby: black.
Flavor: An oddly neutral taste while I hold it in my mouth, but as I swallow, the bomb goes off. First is a slight bitter spike, masterful use of hops. As that fades a sweet molasses soothes, followed closely by a rich, high quality tobacco taste that trails off into a wisp of smoke. As it warmed, I got a hint of alcohol taste but it was well hidden. Some nice toffee tastes came out late as well. The entire beer holds together as a complete package.
Mouthfeel: This is one of the fullest beers I have ever put in my mouth, thicker than my heaviest homebrews. Almost syrupy, a heavy chew and it left about 7 coats throughout my entire mouth. It numbed my gums just slightly.
Overall Impression: Glad I was sitting down, this stuff rocked my world. Beer for Russian Royalty? This is beer for the Gods! A superb Imperial Stout. As I check the BJCP guide for reference, I’m not terribly surprised to find this beer listed as a classic example. Drinkability? While this beer slaked my thirst in a mighty way, I could probably drink another, and it is a beer I’d be happy to acquire again. Many thanks to mattcrill (actually, his wife) for the bottle, I am indebted. If you are lucky enough to see this little gem in your local store, buy it, all of it.

2015 edit: Bringing taste down by .25 to rank it appropriately in my top beers. (1,844 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great imperial stout. As the name of the beer suggests, you get a bitter dark chocolate flavor in this beer. It is not overly sweet or sugary, but the chocolate remains the dominant flavor.

It has an appropriate amount of brown head that tops this heavy black/brown beer. There is a roasted, malty quality to the smell that is not overpowered by the chocolate aromas.

This is a very balanced Imperial Stout. I'd drink it again. (444 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

winter 2003-2004 bottling

the beer looks great in a snifter, all deep black body and subdued caramel head.

the nose is stellar, full of roasted coffee, cocoa, and dark spicy notes.

there is a good bit of rough carbonation in the mouthfeel, which seems appropriate enough. i could have used a little more thickness in the body, but not too much.

deeply roasted espresso starts the flavors, followed by dark chocolate, black coffee, peppery alcohol, burnt raisins, and slight notes of hot tarmac. unfortunately, with the last three sips the roast became so harsh that it began to taste like rusted metal. that same metallic tinge makes me reticent to suggest that the beer is very drinkable.
edit: i tried another bottle after a few days and the metal flavor was nowhere to be found. so, i tried a third ; ) and no metal. i've gone back and changed the numbers, and i recant my attack on the beer's drinkability. a truly decadent beer that shouldn't be missed. just hope you don't get an off bottle.

cheers,

s.d. (1,031 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Winter 2002-2003 bottling (12oz) kept in 50° refrigerator, tasted on 5/04/04. Poured an impenetrable brown/black color with very few fine carbonation bubbles. Reddish-brown head that quickly disappeared leaving very slight lacing. Aroma heavy in chocolate with mild roasted scent. A very heavy mouthful with definate chocolate and roasted flavor. The roasted feature comes out stronger on finish and lasts for several minutes. (427 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +7%

Stouts are not my favorite style but I am trying to taste more and more. I won't write any bad reviews for any stouts I have tried even if I don't like them because I feel I need to know the style better. That said, when I find a stout I like, I have to write a good review about it. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is a great brew. Lets start with its appearance. Wow! Very dark brew and you cannot see any light through it. The head is kind of tan and dies down shortly after pouring. The smell is exceptional. Its really just what you would expect only better. It is a heavy aroma of chocolate and coffee. After taking a good whiff of the beer, there is no way you can wait to try it. Mmmmm chocolate. The beer has a bitter kick to it as well. I didn't really pay attention to the ABV and it surprises me that its so high. Disguised very well although you know you are having something over 6.5. (897 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14%

Well, even though a seasonal brew, I was able to obtain at the end of May. Brewed in the 03-04 season. I pulled a recommendation from the Brother's top 50 and went to one of my favorite brew stores to purchase. This was the only one available on my list.

Pours the blackest, darkest beer I have yet to see. Even when held up to the light, it remains dark and there is no seeing through it. Like oil from the can. A nice frothy, light brown head forms at the top, about two fingers, but dissipates quickly. Leaves trace amounts of lace that really cling to the glass.

The aroma is definitely malty and chocolate flavored. It has a wine-like aroma also. The taste is fabulous at first tilt of the glass towards the mouth. The nose gets a hint of the malty aroma first and then the taste kicks in as soon as it hits the mouth. Malty, bitter chocolate flavor fills the mouth. Even with the high ABV, there is no distinct alcohol flavor, a salute to the brewer goes out.

Once swallowed, there is left a nice bitter aftertaste that is really subtle yet distinctive. This is a fantastic and extremely good Stout. I will buy again and I highly recommend it. (1,160 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

First I just have to complement the label, it is just nice and classy, very stylish. It also lets you know that it has 6 varieties of black, chocolate, and roasted malts... nice. Poured pitch freakin' black, beautiful. Beige head reduced to a creamy but minimal ring around the edge of the glass. Amazingly what I taste reminds me of fresh red bell peppers, odd? but very good. Scents of roasted malts. (drank this in the same place with the annoying cigar guy lurking nearby, so he tampered the great experience of this beer... as much as I crawled away from him...) Tastes of chocolate and the roasted malts, godiva liquor (yummmm), black coffee... Not too thick or heavy, just perfect. Great mouthfeel and a nice lingering finish. Schweet. (742 characters)

My first Imperial stout and....My God....This was a increadable beer....
03-04
Apprearance: Beautiful, deep brown almost black with a brown head.
Smell: Roasted malts, Chocolate
Taste: Alot of people have claimed this was one extremly bitter beer, and I have no idea where that comes from. Had some nice bite to it, but the roasted/chocolate taste stood out the most for me
Mouthfeel: Nice, thick body, almost velvety
Drinkability:If you haven't guessed it yet, I would kill for this beer. Can't wait to make a trip out to Croxley's and taste it on Tap. I am in love... (575 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black as night with a small head that quickly dissolves. Very light carbonation but very nice. Smells of chocolate and nuts invade your nasal passages. Wonderful blend of sweetness (chocolate, coffee) and alcohol makes for a very smooth drink. I found it hard to enjoy b/c it was so good and I wanted to drink it too fast. Goes down easy and goes great with steak or hamburgers. For the price of a six pack, this could easily become a regular occurance for me. Just had another one today and oh my god! This is the stuff. Just a classic, complex, rockin' stout. This is definitely "top 5" in my book. If you see it, drink it. No questions asked, just do as I say... you won't regret it. (693 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A very nice girl brought this back to me from a trip to New York over Christmas and I'm just now entering my notes (stupid work). Pours an opaque black with a medium sized tan head. The head is persistent and has a smooth creamy look and is composed of many tiny bubbles. There is something about the contrast in color between the body of a "black" beer and the head which I really enjoy--and so this beer from the start looks good to me. Strong aroma of chocolate (of course) and roast coffee. Very nice taste of chocolate and coffee malts with some nice hop bitterness in the finish. Smooth and very drinkable, a very nice beer. (630 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Winter 02'-03' bottling

Pours an absolute jet black, with a small head that retains well throughout the beer. Smells of dark roast coffee, with a huge dose of heavy cream. Dark chocolate is also pickupable in the smell, as well as toffee. very rich scent...so well done, bravo Brookyln. The taste of this beer is absolutely orgasmic.

Taste of course runs hand in hand with smell, I'm getting an initial dark chocolate flavor, with a heavy cream coating....followed up by accents of toffee, hazelnut, roasted nuts, and dark coffee. In addition to this, a nice little jab of hops hits you at the end of all those flavors. The alcohol is hidden like mom's cookies, and this is crucial since the alcohol content is so high. Leaves you feeling warm and cozy. I can't praise the taste of this stout enough.

This beer comes highly recomended, from me that is.... (864 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz brown bottle. Brewed in Utica, NY.
It pours a roofing tar color with a big, but fast fading tan head.
A smoky sweet malt aroma has a strong smell of coffee and a good whiff of bitter chocolate.
An extra heavy and rich malt is home to tastes of dark chocolate, sweet coffee, doughy malt, black licorice and molasses.
High in a complex mix of hops, this brew has an edgy grapefruit bitterness and a hint of tea-like tartness. The alcohol, while not over-powering is certainly noticeable.
This is a high impact brew! (524 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery