Microbrew Invitational

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,779 | Ratings: 6,543
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Definitely interesting for a 2x stout. Hardly got any fruit out of it, but no alcohol, so definitely drinkable.

Dark black with a moderate tan head that was soon nowhere to be seen--the usual.

Smell and taste were basically the same for me on this one: smoke, molasses, chocolate, expresso. Some slight strawberries on tasting. No hops that I could detect... Bitterness mostly from burnt and roasted malt. Aftertaste was slightly astringent and unpleasant at times.

Very full and satisfyingly chewy mouthfeel. Great drinkability for such a beer.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Beautiful beer. Sampled this beer at Tria and from the moment the server began the pour (from a good distance away) I could smell the complexity. Actually caught a whiff of bananas which didn't resurface again...

Foamy cappucino colored head when poured that dissipated relatively quickly. What was left was a very dark brown beer, almost but not quite black. First of all, I have to say that this beer is a mouthfull. The body is wonderfully thick without being the least bit syrupy. Strong accents of chocolate and coffee augment the rich roasted malt flavors. The high alcohol wasn't obvious to me. Fairly bitter aftertaste. Very nice interpretation of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Winter 06-07 Bottle to Tulip Glass (no freshness date)

Chocolatey Alcohol Scent. Tan head with great retention/lacing. Taste and mouthfeel are remarkable. Love the sweet alcohol taste with a hint of bitterness. A more drinkable version of the World Wide Stout.

4.5's across the board.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Decided to try it, poured a 12 OZ into a pint glass...gorgeous, sipping it as I write the review.

A: Very dark with a mocha colored head, 1 inch that quickly gave way to a tiny head.

S: Heavy roasted coffee followed with a heavy alcohol presence, didn't notice too much chocolate. Heavy malt, no hops what so ever.

T: Like a mix of Baker's chocolate, dark chocolate, with a coffee aftertaste. In that aftertaste there is the alcohol, which I think with this brew is like 10%, pretty heavy. Definitely a "dessert" beer. The alcohol is heavy but not in the same sense that it is in say, an Imperial Stout...

M: Extremely rich, like eating a cheesecake with fudge. Reminds me of a dessert mixed drink, heavy in alcohol and heavy in chocolate.

D: I think I will have these one at a time. Way to much alcohol to have "a few." Enjoy this brew after a meal, and be careful this beer will sneek up on you. An alcoholic dessert...

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

This is a beer from the 2008-09 winter bottling.

A- Pours a thick bodied stout with a slight thick brown head. Similar to some other Imperial style stouts. The carbonation waits until the end of the pour to raise the bubbles and head.

S - A nice smell - not strong, soft mild malty smell - almost like chocolate. Lives up to the name.

Taste - The taste is surprisingly mellow. LOTS of malty chewy goodness. No over the top burnt black patent flavor, which is a nice surprise. As the liquid warms the flavors evolve. There is a definite sweetness that rounds out the dark malt and roasted flavors. You can't really notice the hops, but they must be in there to add to the balance. Initial sip has some alcohol hotness - however by the second sip the overall balance covers that up. The aftertaste may be the best part - leaves the taste of the malts in between your teeth and on your tongue. Yummy.

M - Great mouthfeel as long as you like them chewy. Really - I like beers of substance and this one has it. It is almost like dessert, but a fine one at that. Thick but smooth like a well made mousse that slides down and coats you with velvet.

D - Ok so I started the with a 3.5 becuase it is so stong, but since the beer is now more than 50 % consumed it easy easy for me to drink. Not that one should drink too many of these at 10%ABV... But I think I could.

This is a beer from the 2008-09 winter bottling.
This may have added to its pleasantness since these types of beers take to maturation well.

This is the second time I had this beer, and I liked it even more the second time around. Great Job BB!

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Special thanks to RblWthACoz for the Beers!!

Pours black with excellent dense creamy head. Great retention with nice lacing.

Nice aroma of malt, licorice and alcohol.

Exceptional balance for a 10.6% alcohol!! Molasses & licorice up front with alcohol & bitter chocolate finish.

If you are a brewer and looking for mouthfeel, try to imitate this beer. Exceptional mouthfeel!! Very smooth and velvety. Did I say exceptional?? Exquisite is more like it!

I am not sure how many of these I could drink but I'm sure a six-pack would go down great!!

Excellent!! I love this beer.

Thanks again to RblWthACoz for the excellent trade!!

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Drank a winter 07/08 served in a tulip

A - Thick black color, light head settled on top.

S - roasted malts, coffee, dark chocolate, mocha, strong smells

T - Strong Dark chocolate and roasted malts. ligth coffee,

M - Hot beer, alcohol still seems to come through although its been aged almost a year. Good beer viscous.

D - alcohol comes through even after aging. good beer high 10.6 ABV gives a lower mark.

Good beer, its alcohol still comes through in aging. Waiting for the 08/09 winter release to do a side by side.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

great beer, realtively new to brooklyn and russian imperial stouts. appearance is night black, looks like dark roast coffee, with a nice off white brown head. the head sticks around and laces the glass quite well. lots of great sweet and marlty flavors in the nose. great great flavors, the taste is without a doubt my favorite aspect of this beer. the alcohol is very present, along with the dark, bittersweet flavor of unsweetened chocolates and malts. great beer. only could drink a few or so, but the mouthfeel is super smooth and silky. awesome beer.

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in stemless wineglass-instead of snifter

Beautiful thick Head that shrinks, but does not disappear. Great Lacing throughout.

A very impressive dark chocolate nose. Much more chocolate smell than most other chocolate stouts on the market. After that first smell your taste buds really start to go crazy, wanting to know what they are in store for next!

And those taste buds are not disappointed. Obviously a chocolaty creamy flavor right off the bat. Has Just enough bitterness to keep it from being too sweet. Maybe a hint of vanilla as well with the chocolate.

very smooth and silky on the tongue and down the throat as well, I tiny burn from the alcohol but nothing like most beers 10% or higher.

If my body would let me I could drink these all night long, but I am sure I would not make it very far into the evening after the second or third. Great to sip on after a big meal or a long night at work!

Excellent!

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Talk about a stout. This is truly one to throw you over the hill. High alcohol content, high roasted coffee undertones, and about as black as the night.

Smell wise, it smells as if you were baking a coffee infused chocolate cake. It is very roasty and smells quite sweet, which when you taste it, is quite different. It is a drier taste, with a very strong cacao-coffee taste. On the back end of it you can definitely taste the alcohol, and lets you know what you are dealing with. It is a heavy drink, but not very syrupy by any means. The head has a real nice brownish hue to it, and makes for a great sit-back-and-relax beer. It is exactly as advertised, heavy, chocolatey, and a spicy stout that is definitely worth your time devoted to it.

Pours black, as black should be.
A light head forms, a rather good looking beer.

The smell obviously gives off some chocolate and dark malts. Very pleasant to the nose.

This has a great smoothness on the tongue. This is a great texture, however personally, I think (especially with the abv) this could stand just a little more "chew".

The taste is a very balanced chocolate, nothing overpowering here, though more chocolate than some others who claim it in their name.

Goes down great, even with the potency, I could take down
3 pretty easily, without getting bored.

I still have some 03's and 04's, I'm really looking forward to.

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%

This was a gift from a friend, and came highly recommended...Poured into my favorite pint glass with a wonderfully dark color...nowhere near transparent...chocolate colored creamy head. I enjoyed this brew with a piece of chocolate to enhance the flavor of the chocolate notes. Not as chocolately as Rogue's Chocolate Stout, but the subtleness of the cocoa made it that much more enjoyable. At the higher end of ABV that I prefer but it was not noticeable and didn't detract from the flavor. If you're a true stout fan....check it out if you come across it.

Just got my first sixer of 06-07 before it was supposed to be released and I can't wait to age it a little bit to enhance all those awesome flavors

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a deep black, with a small reddish head that leaves very little lacing.

Alcohol smell is prevalent. Some malt nd yeast notes, with a hint of coffee.

Great taste. The alcohol hits first and the subtle caramel and chocolate notes linger in the aftertaste.

Very smooth, lightly carbonated.

While it is delicious and very drinkable, it is a tad on the heavy side and the 10+ abv makes this a better sipping or dessert beer. Can't imagine drinking more than two of these at a sitting.

A very good stout that I will seek out again.

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Let me start off by saying I am one of many who didn't fall in love with this beer. Perhaps it was the hype. I read so many positive posts and talked to my beer guy, thought it was going to be gold in a bottle.
A- Poured a dark black, with a nice head that faded quickly. The head was chocolate brown in color that had minimal lacing. I was very excited to taste based on looks.
S- Smelled of hazy chocolate in the distance, however more roasted malts, and of alcohol.
T- The taste was a bit surprising in the sense that it had a lot less chocolate that I had anticipated. I wasn't expecting chocolate milk, but it was totally over powered by the strong alcoholic smell.
M- It wasn't bad in the mouth, but the alcohol was too strong. Laced the mouth and stuck around in the throat.
D- I think if I was more into sipping, which this beer is intended for, it may be nicer. I didn't chug it, but I may have sipped too frequently to let my pallet adjust. I have 5 more to try and get it right.
Overall, I think I'll stick with the hoppy kick that I've been on, and leave this behind.

Footnote- The second was nicer, a klittle more gentle, and enjoyed a little more.

4.31/5  rDev +3.9%

A: Thick black color. Didn't get much foam, which was surprising

S: Chocolate

T: A hopsy taste with a chocolate after taste. Not bitter as I had expected.

M: Smooth, but perhaps too little carbonation.

D: A nice experience. What I was looking for out of this type of beer.

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

creamy and milk chocolatey right when the cap is popped...a bit of tobacco and dark stone fruits on the nose.

malty and kinda tangy with bitter chocolate overtones in the mouth...over roasted coffee beans..the odd tanginess is slightly fruity and i feel like it doesn't belong here...long lasting...

as it warms it doesn't get any better...

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This chocolate stout retains bitter and earthy flavors. Not as "chocolaty" as some others I've tried recently, which I actually prefer. Spicy, meaty, and smokey. Think mole rather than Mars Bar. Not my favorite offering by Brooklyn Brewery. I absolutely adore Local 2 which is one of my favorite beers but this is certainly interesting and complex.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

'02-'03 Edition
You open this bottle up and you pour out a thick, pitch black liquid, and you wonder if you are going to be consuming used motor oil. The cascade of tan bubbles (ala Guinness) lets you know that you have a treat ahead of you. A substantial head builds up, creamy on top, course underneath. It'll eventually die down to a quarter inch leaving rememberances of lace along the glass. The aroma is one of my favorite parts of this beer. Chocolately, fruity, winey, with some alcohol presence... makes you just want to take a taste. Initially thin feeling, this beer thickens and becomes creamy as it moves to the back of your mouth. Sweet, dark fruits, and rich dark chocolate bathe the mouth, followed by a roasted grain and wisps of alcohol finish as you swallow. Simply an amazing beer. What would this beer be like in a year?

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Fishbone, I get to write a review of an old favorite of mine. For a long time, this was my benchmark for American Imperial Stouts. Now that I've tried more stouts - and in particular some of the West Coast Imperials and Chocolates - I have to say that I don't know if I would categorize this beer as a true "Imperial" (though it's also not a traditional Chocolate Stout either). It, like the Storm King Stout, is its own beast. And, again like the Storm King, what a phenomonal beast it is!!!
In this case, the bottle was from the Winter '02/'03 batch. It's still a bit raw, and should improve over the next six months.
The initial pour shows a enormous tan and creamy head on top of beer of the deepest and darkest black. The head slowly diminishes to a quite thick and sticky lace. Aromas are of malted chocolate balls, toasty grain, alcohol and a hint of espresso. As good as the appearance is, the smell may even be better.
Initial tastes are sweet and chocolaty - a rich almost "fudge-like" flavor that could be cloying in some beers, but is balanced by the crisp (and somewhat unexpected) carbonation, alcohol bite and the slight undercurrent of hops. The finish is of a tart and nearly bitter chocolate-malt that is dry and lingers seemingly forever.
This is a great stout. Like the Storm King, I don't imagine anyone seeing it as a session beer. But as a treat - this is a wonderful one.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Middle Ages imperial pint glass.

A - Pours a pitch black color with no tinting around the edges, along with a finger-width creamy dark tan head that dissipates sort of slow leaving a bit of sticky lacing around the glass.

S - Big and slightly bittersweet dark chocolate hits the nose first, accompanied by a hint of floral hoppiness, roasted malt, caramel and molasses with perhaps a hint of cinnamon. As it warms the brew smells sweeter.

T - The molasses, caramel and dark chocolate combine initially for a smooth, chewy and savory first wave that washes over the palate. This is followed by a flashing bite of hops and thick roasted malt that leaves a slightly dry and bitter taste which disappears quickly and is replaced by a creaminess as a result of the initial wave of combined flavors.

MF - Full-bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Also quite thick, smooth and creamy as a whole.

D - Taste-wise I'd say very drinkable however it suffers in this department from the high ABV and heaviness on the stomach.

Notes - Quite a good brew overall I would say. I like the fact that there's a bit of hops in the taste, although this detracts from it's smoothness a bit (despite the fact that I still think the hops add a bit of character and depth to it). Well-crafted and very delicious.

4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

a : Dark, almost black, opaque. Have a thick, rich caramel colored head. It holds onto the side of the glass pretty well.
s : Smells like chocolate, alcohol, and raisen in that order. Doesn't have as much aroma as some other imperial stouts I have had, and the alcohol is a bit more noticeable here. Pleasant smell.
t : Raisens are the most aparent flavor in the beer followed by coffee and then the alcohol finished the beer with a warming sensation. The chocolate is more apparent when I swish the beer around my mouth and after I swallow.
m : Coats the mouth well, and makes my tongue happy as it digs through the maltiness to get to the chocolate undertones. A little thin, in my opinion for an imperial stout.
d : I can only drink 1 of these a night and only a couple times a week. That said this is my 6th Black Chocolate Stout of the season so I certainly enjoy the brew.

I bought this beer at the same time as Southern Tier's Imperial Choklat Stout. I think that they are both great showings for the style. I wish this beer had a bit more aroma. Other than that I think that this beer is quite nice to drink on cold nights (like tonight). Enjoy.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

A - jet black, light escapes the gravity at the edge of the event horizon, but barely.

S - Not much scent, only a little burtness, aroma smelled by 3 people to make sure it wasn't me.

T - Great, bitter bitter roasted malts, with a chocolate finish. Like 92% dark cocoa bars.

M - Smooth going down, well carbonated.

D - one was just about right, but I could have had more, I liked it, so I'd have gone back to it if need be.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. Bottle has "Limited Bottling - Winter 08 - 09" written on the top label. This beer pours an inky black color with a nice, dark tan, almost cinnamon colored head that required a very vigorous pour to achieve. In my experience this is necessary of most Russian Imperial Stouts I've tried and this one doesn't seem any more or less carbonated than most examples of the style. The head is very sticky for the high ABV (unlike the description on the site this year's BBCS is 10% ABV) and leaves behind a good amount of lace for the ABV. Overall this is a gorgeous beer and is one of the better looking Russian Imperial Stouts I've seen.

Smell: As soon as I popped off the cap and began to pour the beer I was hit with intense aromas of roasted malts and of chocolate. Swirling the glass and bringing my nose closer allows me to pick up the incredibly sweet nose this beer has. As mentioned before the nose smells strongly of dark chocolate and roasted malts and is complemented by aromas of coffee and, very faintly, alcohol.

Taste: The chocolate taste of this beer is incredible and huge, and Brooklyn has done a great job utilizing the chocolate malt. This beer starts off sweet and chocolaty, moves to very rich, spicy, and intense, and finishes with the wonderful tastes of roasted malts. It also finishes very mild compared to other Russian Imperial Stouts I've had and doesn't have too much in the way of hop bitterness. This beer also finishes with a significant amount of alcohol taste and warming effect, but in my opinion this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it might not be everyone's cup of tea. BJCP guidelines for Russian Imperial Stouts mention them having a "noticeable alcohol presence" and Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is definitely a good example of that.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is big and full-bodied and feels very smooth, a good example of the style, but not the best. The carbonation is fairly heavy, but still a very big, chewy body. Overall the mouthfeel is pretty darn good

Drinkability: Because of how strong the alcohol in this beer is I wouldn't recommend drinking too many at a time. The taste, however, would make it possible if I were in the mood.

Notes: After sampling this beer a few times for this review I also paired it with a brownie with nuts, something I recommend doing. Michael Jackson recommends eating it with the Viennese desert Sachertorte, something I'll have to try some day. Overall this beer is good, but it isn't great. I'm anxious to lay down the extra six-pack I bought and try it in a year and so in hopes that the strong alcohol flavors will diminish and the taste will smooth out. Look for another review in a year or so.

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer is a great imperial but at 10.6 it is hard to hide the alcohol. The appearance is midnight black with a dark brown small head. The head becomes very small and lingers for a while. The smell is of bakers chocolate and malts very aromatic but the alcohol can definitely be picked out of the aroma. The alcohol is very prevalent in the taste too as to be expected in imperials but maybe a little more than some are used to. The flavor that pops out the most is dark to bakers chocolate obviously but the malts definitely add to the smoothness of the taste. The mouthfeel is smooth and light this is one of the best qualities of the beer in my opinion. hard to drink more than two or three of these at a time but i will definitely be going back to this beer again next winter could be great aged too.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Winter 10-11
Poured a deep brown-black with an inch of tan froth. Fair amount of lacing.

Alcohol is faintly on the nose behind wonderful aromas of chocolate coffee ice cream, maybe with some brownies in it after swirllin' in my snifter. quite refreshing

Taste is upfront sweet chocolate followed by some coffee bitterness, slight twinge of alcohol.

Very well put together beer, it earns my respect and than-some. I paid 6.99 for a four pack I respect that even more.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery