Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,729 | Hads: 6,289
4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into Tulip style glass

Appearance- A slow pour yields a thick viscous black body topped by a three finger dark tan caramel colored head. Head stuck around for a minute before fading to a nice floating thin layer. Patches of lacing are all over the glass. Head was smooth not clumpy like many RIS. Overall a very appetizing beer to look at.

Smell- Chocolate is very evident hear. Almost like the smell of a Hershey's dark bar. Backed up slightly by a roasted scent. Very little coffee is apparent in the scent.

Taste- Taste is much more complex than the nose and it serves this beer very well. Dark chocolate is dominant again followed by a well balance roasty malt background and some raisin flavors as well. Not too sweet like many chocolate stouts. A hint of bitterness at the end makes this an extremely balanced and well rounded stout.

Mouthfeel- Smooth and creamy, but not as thick as many RIS. Closer to a heavy porter than a real thick oily stout. I thought the lighter body complemented its complex flavor very well. Many times when drinking an RIS I get this milkshake type feeling. Not here though smooth and not too heavy.

Drinkability- Well there isn't a lot too say here other than at 10.6 % this is no session stout. However it's such a good beer you may truly want to. I found myself taking nice gulps rather than small sips.

Overall- I flat out loved this beer and will gladly keep my fridge stocked with it as long as its here in TX. Hands down, by favorite stout.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

12 oz into tulip.

A: Pours black - looks a bit like cola. Great head with good staying power.

S: Sweet and nutty, malt and chocolate. I am getting excited about this one.

T: Same as the smell, spot on. The name says it all - this tasted like Black Chocolate. Oh yeah, also coffee. This is fantastic brew and is deserving of any and all accolades.

M: Eh, a little to be desired, but not bad. I'll just say the moth feel is true to style.

D: If you like stout and you don't like this beer, you don't like stout. This stuff is amazing.

I am sure to have a review soon where I don't love the beer, I promise.

3.06/5  rDev -26.3%

12 oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. 2010-2011 bottling.

A: The kind of black that incites nightmares in children. I only see myself & the surrounding room reflected in the glass as i look into this brew. 1 finger of mocha colored head that dissipates quickly to a filmy cover. Minimal lacing.

S: Bakers chocolate & coffee. Roasted malts bring in the back of this nose. Almost indistinguishable through the alcohol. Disappointing.

T: Boozy. Hints of bakers chocolate & roasted malts. Alcohol overwhelms the taste as well.

M: Low Carbonation, thicker mouthfeel, typical of the style.

O: I had high expectations & was let down by this brew. Alcohol overwhelms several aspects of this beer. Some time in the cellar would serve it well.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA last night with my wife's uncle. He treated me to a celebratory beer(s) in honor of our son who was born a little over 2 weeks ago.

The waitress brought me a black, light-tight beverage with a nice tan head. It looks thick and rich.

Smells are roasted malt with definite dark chocolate and coffee overtones.

The first sip brought a rich, creamy, smooth, roasted molasses flavor. The second sip was gloriously chocolate and coffee-like and left a lingering sweet tickle on the sides of my tongue. This is one awesome beer!

I wouldn't suggest having this beer with a meal. Instead, have it all by itself and enjoy each delicious mouthful.

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours black, with a moderate-sized thick brown head. Not too much retention, but that's to be expected with the alcohol content.

Aroma of chocolate, coffee, soy sauce, with some fruity malt and hop notes.

Mouthfeel is thick, with moderate carbonation. The taste starts out bitter, with notes of coffee, dark chocolate, and burnt toast. There's plenty of malty sweetness apparent, with some fruity notes and some citrus, and it finishes with a good deal of floral hop bitterness.

Overall, an excellent ale and extremely drinkable for an imperial stout.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

This review is for a bottle of the winter 05-06 release.

A: The beer pours thick and black but with little head and larger bubbles then other stouts I've had.
S: The smell is defiantly of chocolate, malt and alcohol. Which is fantastic since I'm a huge dark chocolate fan.
T: The taste does not disappoint. The first thing the hits you is the strong alcohol taste. I know this bothers some people but in this case it is perfectly balanced by the deep chocolate taste as well as the rich malts used in this brew. I also get a slight taste a raspberries I'm not really sure why but there it is.
M: This beer just feels fantastic going down it absolutely coats the inside of the mouth with a great creaminess and well quite frankly just makes me happy.
D: So I'm going back to buy some more of this brew to age as far and drinking more then one or two I probably could but it might be the start a disastrous evening.
Overall a fantastic brew that I plan on having again.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

2007-08 batch, 12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: One of the darkest stouts I've ever seen -- no light penetrates the blackness. Head is slight, and falls quickly to a tan lace.

S: Alcohol comes first, followed by hints of roasted coffee.

T: Better balance than the smell would suggest: coffee, a touch of sweet and a slight hit of alcohol -- subtle, given the ABV -- in the background.

M: Close to perfect: rich, thick and creamy. There's a definite substance to this beer.

D: How many can you have when the ABV is 10.6 percent? The answer: more than I should. It's that good.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

I have already bought several 6 packs of this one. Was happy to see a display piled to near the ceiling at my local beer store (which was quickly gone down) figured it was time for a review... I had these at cellar temp... cant see drinking this cold it would be a waste. Bottle says brewed for winter 07-08

A- It poured Black with a slight ruby hue when put to the light..its oily but not thick- with a 1 finger tan head the settles very slow.

S- Alcohol,dark fruits and chocolate

T- Dark chocolate and fruits- a lot like the smell- with a perfect warmth from the alcohol in the brew- dark roasted grains with a surprisingly sweet taste -the hops are well blended with the other flavors because it doesn't have a bitter bite at all- excellent layering of flavors.

M- Its very slick not chewy and it might be a bit on the thin side for a imperial -it takes away from mouthfeel but adds to the drinkability...Has more carbonation than other imp stouts Ive had but not to much..

D- Top notch, I love imp Stouts- this one is probably the most drinkable for this style Ive ever had Ive had a couple that taste better maybe but those were 1 and done beers- this I can actually have a few and only the 10.6% stops me. I just cant get enough of this one..which I think thats pretty rare and I had to give this a 5 for drinkability.

I have been meaning to get some more of these to keep around and age for a while- but every time I go get more I seem to end up drinking them. I cant see why some people haven't rated this one higher-- maybe this years brew is better than others...

2.92/5  rDev -29.6%

This beer had a great coffee smell, and taste, i held it up to a 100W bulb and couldnt see through it, I find beers of this nature, for me, hard to drink. They seem to be too much, and get dumped after 3/4's. I mean, if stouts/imperial stouts are your thing, youd probably love this, but I wasnt a fan, good job as always by Brooklyn but I would never get again.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz poured into pint glass

A: Pours deep black - dark coffee, topped with a light caramel frothy head

S: Tons of different roasts, heavy, coffee, slight hint of sweet

T: Bright hops, roasts, bittersweet chocolate, malt, caramel

M: Full bodied, nice bit of carbonation, lingering taste

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Winter 11-12 bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Not much head on this one at all. Small brown head reduces quickly to a ring. Very dark, maybe some slight light peeking through on the edges. I can see some carbonation streaming up the glass.

S- Roasted malt, chocolate, nutty, sweet caramel.

T- Big roasty flavor, dark cocoa, detecting slight soy saltiness. Bitter chocolate. Vanilla.

M- Really digging the mouthfeel on this one. Smooth, silky, medium carbonation. Hardly any alcohol noticeable.

O- Very nice, clean, almost textbook imperial stout. Good stuff.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

Great beer for $2!! Ever since the pricedrop ($7.99/4pk), this has become a go to beer. It's a little thinner than the super rated RIS bottles, but it is also much sweeter. I see no reason to drop $12 on a bomber of Chocolate Yeti or Southern Tier when this beer is available on the shelves. Super high ABV is also well hidden; great local beer, highly recommended.

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I've had alot of chocolates and I have to say that this is flat out, the best chocolate stout that exists. I'm also a fan of russian imperials so it's a WHAMMY for me.

I'll edit my post at a future date. Right now, it's not in my glass but it was this night so I wanted to atleast put my 2 cents forward. pay attention to the taste and overall most. I'll clean up the rest later but I gave guesstimates for now.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Poured into a pint glass from bottle. 2010-11 winter bottling.

Only can describe the color as what happens when color doesn't exist. Super-rich and inky. The head was caramel colored and about a finger thick but was gone in the time it took to stick the bottle on the counter.

As you would expect, it smells of bakers chocolate and coffee. There is a hint of booze that sort of overcomes the other aromas,it is 10% so I'm not surprised.

Rich malty chocolate, coffee and a little bit of licorice hide the alcohol a little but it's still a beast.

Overall tasty, but there is a little missing on the finish, it just gets a little thin at the end. Its a solid beer that has all the working parts that an Imperial Stout with Black Chocolate in the title should. I dug it and would buy it again.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2012 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Very dark brown with milk chocolate head. Carbonation lingers.

S: Alcohol, bittersweet chocolate and roast. Touch of underlying dark fruit.

T: Boozy. Again, bittersweet chocolate, more coffee roast than in the aroma. Not as complex as a lot of RIS. Definitely like a straight up mocha with a small shot of whiskey or bourbon added.

M: Nice. Not necessarily creamy, but also not sticky. Carbonation helps to balance things out.

O: Solid. Very straight forward flavors, but well put together.

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - pours very dark / black, small brownish foamy head that dissipated quickly. Lacing is evident and holds to the side of the glass. Some presence of bubbles that sets execrations for astringency in mouthfeel. Aroma - initial smells I picked up chocolate, vanilla and liquorice elements. Taste - roasted taste, has a balanced hoppy and malty taste. Mouthfeel - has astringency and warmth. Overall - purchased the beer of a recommendation, overall it has lived up to the recommendation.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

355ml bottle into a conical 2/3 pint glass. Paid £3.50 for a single bottle.

Pours an opaque, pitch-black body that is unchanged when held to the light. A one-finger in height, dense, tan coloured, bubbly head slowly reduces to a thin collar around the edge of the glass, leaving behind small amounts of fine lacing.

Rich, dark, roasted malts and fresh-ground espresso dominate the nose. Noticeable in the background are dark molasses, bitter chocolate and alcohol. Upfront the taste leads with full-bodied, heavily roasted barley, chocolate malt and dark roasted coffee characters. Bittersweet chocolate and a delicate touch of caramel and vanilla sweetness follow. In the mouth it feels luxuriously smooth and creamy. The thick, robust and slightly oily body is complemented perfectly by a low, appropriate amount of carbonation that prevents it from becoming too filling. Smooth chocolate and tangy dark fruit linger on the palate throughout the finish, balanced perfectly by a slightly dry, bitter cocoa bite and alcohol warmth.

Overall this is a fantastic beer. Superbly well balanced, well crafted and indulgent, this is a treat to be sipped and savoured! Recommended.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Foreword: 12 oz bottle - Limited Edition '03-'04 - Serving at proper temp

Appearance/Head: Very dark color, rather opaque. The head was a nice ebony, but I was disappointed by how little head there was until I started pouring from a foot above the glass.

Aroma: Dark roasted malts, mocha, with a bit of dark fruits.

Taste: It started with a very nice, rich creamy head. It is a full bodied elixir with a bittersweet cocoa flavor. The aftertaste has some nice burnt taste and perhaps a late sourness. I would have guess the abv at around 6.5 instead of 8.5 .

Bottom line: A nice beer from Brooklyn that I'm sure I will enjoy many times this winter. The flavors are a little light for an Imperial Stout, and I think there are a number of better examples out there.

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%

’05-’06. Pours black with large creamy tan head, that gradually fades to a cover, nice lacing. Aroma is a simple blend of chocolate and roasted notes. Inital flavor has some bitter coffee and dark chocolate, this gives way to a sweet chocolates and some dark fruits. Texture is a bit on the syrupy side. A touch of warming alcohol in the finish.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

inky thick and black appearance with a thin layer of tan head that dissipates into a nice lace with good retention around the rim.

Plenty of sweet dried fruit; dates, figs, prunes along with an espresso chocolate aroma. Almost reminds me of a combination of glossette raisins and espresso.

Quite sweet on the palate with a lot of warming alcohol behind the espresso chocolate up front. Mid palate you got almost a chocolate zucchini loaf type sweetness and bready flavour. Finishes with a drier espresso and cooca nib profile with a slight hop presence showing through. Warms at the back of the throat all the way down to the chest, very nice winter warmer.

Creamy and thick syrupy texture with very little carbonation. Reminds of either the weight of creamy frothy espresso or real hot chocolate (probably as much do to the flavour as texture). Lingers pleasantly and seems to coat the whole mouth, along with the lingering cocoa notes helps the beer last forever.

Despite the weight and the alcohol I can see being able to drink a lot of this, and that definitely speaks to the way it carries the heavy array of sweetness, cocoa and booze. The slight hop presence and cocoa nib bitterness on the finish definitely help in relieving that. Overall surprisingly drinkable, perfect winter warmer.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

This is one of my favorite stouts which is darker than the night sky. You can't see through this brew, even while holding it right up to a light! Not a huge head, but enough at the pour to get some great aromas.

I don't have the most developed sense of smell, but I definitely pick up the high alcohol profile. A big malt essence jumps out at me along with some nutty notes. Very enticing!

The smell and the taste go hand in hand for me. I pick up the alcohol, but it's not over powering. I don't pick up a huge chocolate flavor, but I think it comes through in the mouthfeel.

Nice and thick mouthfeel. You know your drinking a big bold stout with every sip. Coats your mouth with flavor, but does not linger... which I enjoy!

Of course with a big beer like this, "session" should be avoided! But saying that, it's such a tasty brew your glass becomes half empty faster than you'd like.

Overall a wonderful winter time warming stout. Highly recommended.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I am a huge imperial stout fan. I consider this to be one of the best. On par with Founders, Oskar Blues Ten Fidy and the recent Narwal from Sierra Nevada. Chocolate and toffee finish with a completely smooth finish. You can barely taste the alcohol, which can sometimes be overwhelming in imperial stouts. This is a beer I will look forward to every winter. I was fortunate to find this brew a dollar off its already honest $7.99 retail price for a four pack. I love this beer.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

1/4" head fades reasonably fast, but lacing is the thickest we've seen.

Completely opaque, deep brown verging on black.

Smells just like high quality dark chocolate.

At least as smooth as the Rogue to start, definitely high gravity, bitter coffee and chocolate are surprisingly not overwhelming, they must settle though because they're more noticeable as you go along (not-quite grainy at the bottom).

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This chocolate stout retains bitter and earthy flavors. Not as "chocolaty" as some others I've tried recently, which I actually prefer. Spicy, meaty, and smokey. Think mole rather than Mars Bar. Not my favorite offering by Brooklyn Brewery. I absolutely adore Local 2 which is one of my favorite beers but this is certainly interesting and complex.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A - Reddish/Brown 1/2 finger head poured into an oversized wine glass. Head dissipates quickly. Beer itself is quite dark. Not much if any light shows through at all.

S - Roasted malt and chocolate

T - Alcohol is big. Chocolate, malts and coffee come through as the beer settles in my mouth.

M - Not too carbonated feels silky. Very nice.

D - Beer really needs a little while to mellow out. Had last years recently and it was unbelievable. I will buy some more and let that cellar for some time. Hopefully I will be able to find a place that has a couple of last years sitting around. If not, just need to find other beers to drink before this one is ready. Definitely buy it if you see it though.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery