Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

Brutus627, Jun 24, 2014

rcatalano, Feb 08, 2013
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

I have been drinking Brooklyn Beers for ages, but for some reason this one always escaped me. I have always been happy with the quality of Brooklyns brews and after researching Imperial Stouts I figured I had to give it a shot.
I got myself a sixpack of Winter 07-08 bottles and I have to say I was impressed. I like stout and I guess I drink it pretty regularly (usually opting for Young's Chocolate, Smith's Oatmeal or old reliable Guinness). The look, smell and taste of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout were top notch. I drank it from a small brandy snifter (which I highly recommend)and I was was totally impressed. This is not a brew to be swilled while watching the game, (it is filling and strong) but to be enjoyed in small quantities, much like a fine brandy/cognac. I recommend it with dessert or by itself with a nice cigar.

nasty15108, Feb 09, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

I always look forward to this release. Pours a deep, dark brown (almost black) with a thin, medium-brown head. There is not much to the aroma, but what is there is full of bitter chocolate and coffee with a caramel sweetness and a bit of straight-up booze. The flavor is delightful, with the bitter chocolate being featured, and there is a bit of a spicy character (some combination of hops and alcohol). Full bodied, but silky-smooth. There is quite a bit of alcohol heat when fresh, but even then it give a nice warming feeling rather than burning. I'm definitely looking forward to trying this one again after some time in the cellar.

devilben02, Dec 20, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel glass

Appearance; Aggressive pour yielded a 3 finger head that was very cloudlike and filled with lots of tiny bubbles. Great head retendion and medium lace down the glass. Pitch black color, no visibility through the brew. the head is a dark mocha/cappacino color.

Smell: Smells like rich dark melted chocolate, bittersweet. Has an aroma of burnt espresso with a few roasted almonds in the background.

Taste: Tastes rich and vibrant. A little bit of upfront acidity followed by a huge dose of dark bitter chocolate with some roasted coffee beans. On the backend it gets a little bit bitter but is saved with the good malt character.

Mouthfeel: Surprisingly thin on the palate. Doesnt leave a huge aftertaste to me. A little bit too carbonated than I would like in a RIS. Nonetheless a good mouthfeel, just not what I expected.

Drinkability: Despite the ABV, its easy to drink. Very strong upfront flavors limit this from being a quick drink. It would be a lot better at a closer to room temp but overall its a solid brew.

Augustiner719, Dec 07, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

Beer poured black with a medium tan head. Aroma of dark fruits and alcohol. Tasted better as it warmed. Primarily milk chocolate flavor with a subtle bitter finish. Mouthfeel was creamy. Body was medium heavy. A good stout, but too much burn on the finish.

chickenflea, Dec 10, 2010

jtransel, May 17, 2014

Fitzmke, Feb 04, 2012

NSK79, Jan 22, 2013

PaulUH, Jan 07, 2013

ThrashMaster, Aug 09, 2013
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Thick coffee black with an equally thick cocoa brown head. Heavy roasted overtones mixed with the perfect amount of chocolate sweetness in the aroma. Very thick and creamy in your mouth, as it should be. Heavily roasted and chocolaty sweet at the same time. Hops are present, leaving a leafy aftertaste near the back. Extremely enjoyable beer, very highly recommended. A different take on the style, but right up there with the best of them. Thanks again to francisweizen for this and the other Brooklyn brews!

hyuga, Aug 23, 2003

muletrane, Dec 18, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

08/09

12oz to standard pint, pours a deep black - completely opaque - foamy cream brown head with dense bubbles eventually fades to lacing.

smells of creamy chocolate, raisins, dark malts, sweetness, yeast

tastes of sweet alcohol, roasty malt, creaminess hiding behind, bitterness, light chocolate, raisins, good thickness, mmmm

mouthfeel is of a good weight, hot alcohol, sweetness, raisins, bitterness, roasty

tasty but i can imagine that this would only due better with time, can't wait to try cellaring.

drxandy, Dec 31, 2008
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Pours a deep dark color with a small mocha colored head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is of stale roasted malts and bitter chocolates.

Taste is of silky smooth chocolates and big roasted malts. Very good, it tastes almost like a chocolate chip cookie, I am a fan.

Mouthfeel is full and rich with medium to high carbonation, pretty good.

Good drinkability, it seems to be a little more so than a lot of the category as it's a little lighter in body.

pmccallum86, Jul 31, 2010

VaTechPhilly, Jul 30, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

brett606, Jul 06, 2013

BrandonOakes, Nov 04, 2013
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK... so here you go.... this is a LIVE REVIEW. I just bought this six pack from one of my favorite beer stores... Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH... great beer selection. I purchased this for a little gathering we're having at the house this Saturday.

But, I decided to crack one open tonight to give it a try. I review this as I sit at my computer.... so this is AS IT HAPPENS!

It poured out nicely into my pint glass. I started it about half way down the side of the glass to prodce a perfect 1" head but it didn't seem like it was going to cooperate, so I stood the glass straight up and oops.... wound up with about two inches. But it has settled down now to a nice 3/4 inch already leaving a nice thick lacing behind. Black as the night with a thick frothy tan head.

The aroma is rich with a creamy maltiness with definite chocolate and coffee. Can't wait to taste!

Oh WOW!.... nice taste! low carbonation. And WOW!... very bold malt. Hoppiness is present just to let you know this beer is the boss. The alcohol adds a good flavor. Nice coffee follow through as the dark chocolate and a woody taste are all dancing around in my mouth!

Mouthfeel is excellent! It leaves my mouth coated with the woody taste long after I swallow. And a thin film is left in my mouth.

Drinkability.... WELL.... I really like this beer! It's not one for mass consumption... because it'll put you in your place! I'll be having two maybe three tomorrow when guests are here over the course of the evening. IF I can save that many back for myself!

EXCELLENT BEER if you're into a dark rich, thick stout like this!

TheBierBand, Jan 05, 2007
4.65/5  rDev +12%

355ml bottle poured into a 16oz tulip. Winter 11-12 bottle.

A - Small head of dark mocha foam; only about a finger though. The beer black as night, and really viscous. Very little head retention, but it does settle to a small ring around the edges of the glass. Minimal lacing for a while, but that soon disappears as well. Honestly, the appearance of this stout is probably the most underwhelming thing about it. I suppose I'll give the next one I try a good aggressive pour and see if I can yield a nice big head out of it.

S - Maybe a bit too cold, but I'm getting a lot of skunky/metallic notes at first. Upon warming up for a bit, more bitter espresso, burnt black malt, and rich black chocolate. A bit of hop presence looms in the background. Overall this RIS shows off a complex aroma with earthy, resinous notes of charred malt as well as deep, rich chocolate sweetness. There's definitely a smokey character in here as well.

T - Outright massive. The flavors are dark and rich and very complex. Huge charred and burnt malt dominates the front of the palate, along with rich dark chocolate and a solid bite of coffee bean bitterness. The finish is lingering burnt black malt, dark chocolatey goodness, and espresso bitterness. As it warms, the complexities only grow. Notes of dark fruit begin to come through, along with heavy molasses, licorice, and some earthy hops and resinous, smokey character. There's definitely some alcohol heat in the finish, but with a stout this big and mean, I don't mind one bit. Although this flavor profile might sound like an all out assault of flavors, which it sort of is, it's not at all too much to handle. The bitterness is there, but I wouldn't have guessed 70 IBUs; maybe more like 50.

M - Viscous, creamy, and heavy; low carbonation, but not quite as subtle as I would have liked. Not really as smooth as anticipated either. Still, this is no area of concern for this RIS. The body feels full and rich, and the carbonation adds a nice liveliness to it. As expected, this monster gets pretty sticky towards the end. The heat is there in the finish, but as already mentioned, it doesn't detract from the flavor profile at all.

D - The RIS exceeded all expectations. The flavor here was everything I could have hoped for and then some. Although this stout couldn't be much bigger, it was still easy to get through. Certainly one I'll be having many times more, and well worth the hype.

Converge, Jan 29, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

smithmd4, Dec 21, 2011

cclark67789, Dec 19, 2012

Svendozen, Sep 30, 2013
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A - Blacker than black. Thin dark head turns to splotches and a ring. Sparse lacing.

S - boozy chocolate, raisin, licorice, with a hint of hops. Quite pungent.

T - Lots of sweet malt up front, a bit of hop flavour in the middle. Looonnnngggg and smooth roasty finish, with some hop bitterness lingering in the background. A roller coaster ride from start to finish.

M - Thick and creamy, as it should be.

D - I was enjoying the taste of this bad boy so much, I forgot all about the massive alcohol punch. Very well hidden.

Not overly roasty for a big stout, it mostly shows up in the aftertaste. Instead, it's an amazing balance of sweetness, hops and roast, all of which can be easily picked out. This goes down as smooth as a baby's bottom.

markaberrant, Jun 02, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. brown bottle. Winter 09-10

A: Pours a darkness not unlike a black hole. The thin head looks like hot chocolate. The light lacing leaves chocolate streaks down the glass.

S: Very malty with chocolate. Smells like the beers label.

T/M: One of the smoothest RIS i've had to date. Malts are amazingly tasty. Chocolate is ample and really makes this beer special. The 10% ABV is hidden very well. However it does become more noticeable as the beer warms. The bitterness is minimal.

D: Excellent brew. Very enjoyable. I will be looking forward to this beer every year. I may even store a few away, to see how it ages.

Cheers!!!