1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
View: Beers (67) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,193 | Reviews: 2,620 | Show All Ratings:
London1985

United Kingdom (England)

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow what can i say....

I picked this up from Utobeer in London's Borough Market today (March 26th 2011) and had to review it as it took me by complete surprise....

I was expecting just an 'ok' stout from this as my perception of the Brooklyn Brewery is kind of along the lines of mass produced beers so i didnt have high hopes for this.

However, when i opened and poured this, i was captivated by how dark and luscious it looked. It had the blackness to match its name and a lovely aroma.

It goes down very smooth and leaves an addictive film of alcohol and roasted coffee/chocolate flavours on your palatte like all good stouts should.

It has a beautiful lacing on the glass as you drink it down.

To cut it short, i wasnt expecting to drink the best ever stout i had with this.... but i also wasnt expecting such a wonderfully crafted and flavorful drink that goes down so smooth and is so pleasent on the nose and palatte.

Well done Brooklyn Brewery... you have produced an exceptional stout when compared to its price.

03-26-2011 16:59:07 | More by London1985
jedtheavenger

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from an 11-12 winter bottle into a pint glass.

A--Black. That's an obvious one. Pours about a half-inch tan head.

S--Chocolate, hazelnut, coffee. Aroma is full and rich. It's one of those beers where you try to pick apart the complexities, and all of a sudden find yourself sipping on it.

T--heavy roasted malts, coffee, burnt sugar, and red wine. The alcohol is fairly subtle.

M--not as viscous as other Russian Imperials, but still has a pleasantly thick/syrupy consistency. Think coffee with chocolate syrup.

Overall: This one's a sipper, folks. There's nothing more perfect than sitting at home on a cold night with a boozy stout like this. In my mind, this is the quintessential RIS.

12-02-2011 02:29:39 | More by jedtheavenger
beerkeeper

Maryland

2.8/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Found a bottle of 02 in my cellar. poured into a glass still maintained a substantial head the nose still has a nice roasty chocolate presence, but one gets a bit of sourness intermingled. in the mouth one still gets a good dose of carbonation, but these beer has passed its peak. the sourness on the nose comes through on the palate and coats the side of the mouth while the chocolate malts slide over the tounge. the aftertaste is much better than the initial flavoring, leaving behind a roasty flavor.
just came back to this beer after 30 odd minutes the noose got stronger but hte palate definitly fell apart. this beer works much better as a two year old

09-17-2005 00:02:17 | More by beerkeeper
matdot

Georgia

4.65/5  rDev +12%

05-06 Picked from a Brooklyn Multi Pack.

Poured in a Tumbler with a two finger, thick chocolate color head. Wow, what an awesome color the head turns after being poured. Like a mix of heavy cream and dark chocolate.

Smell is the typical but pungent dark coffee roast. And the mouth feel is fantastic and smooth like silk.

Exceptional Imperial, and another classic from Brooklyn Brewery.

12-24-2005 22:54:28 | More by matdot
TexasTowHead

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a Winter '09-'10 bottle.

Inky black color with a finger-width dun head that lingers the whole way. Very limited lacing on the glass. You can smell the alcohol along with dark roasted coffee, but the taste is all coffee and chocolate. The medium carbonation helps with the head retention and makes for a real nice mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable stout but the alcohol does sneak up on you.

08-08-2010 03:34:10 | More by TexasTowHead
DeschutesNut

North Dakota

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

2009 Vintage on tap at the MN Craft Brewers Guild Autumn Brew Review 2011 in Minneapolis at the historic Grain Belt Complex. Delicious brew. Very subtile and complex at the same time. Am very excited to have a couple bottles of these in the old cellar!

10-03-2011 23:08:49 | More by DeschutesNut
MikeSr619

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

So, Im at Room 11 in DC and having some local beers and I ask the server Chelsea, "hey, whats the Brooklyn Dark Stout like?". Im from California and had never had one but Im nervous of what some people call stouts. Im used to them being big, bold, in your face thick beers and didnt want to be disappointed. She said, "you have to try one" and brought me one back.

OK, so I take the bottle and pour it in to the glass and it looks as black as used motor oil coming out of an ol john deere tractor. NICE! All my friends are looking at me like Im nuts for even wanting that beer but this is my style!

I smell the beer..once again, NICE! It smells like a good stout and very chocolate.

The taste..well, I sat there speechless for a few seconds while trying to digest all the great flavors and when I looked up all I did was nod at her.

All in all I ended up having 6 of these bad boys and went to the store the next day so I could bring one home to SD for my friends to try. Well done, Brooklyn!

11-17-2011 18:51:06 | More by MikeSr619
bnewall3

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Talk about a beer that masks the taste of alcohol, shits amazing esp for the way it smells. The 10% surprised me at first esp for the price(7.99 a 4 pk) and the aroma was slight coffee the rest alcohol, wasnt my favorite. Then I tasted it and it was smooth as can be, Touche Brooklyn you stumped me there. Or at least surprised me.

11-18-2011 03:36:14 | More by bnewall3
AnotherImperial

Arizona

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

In my opinion, this is as good as it gets for a "standard" RIS. The chocolate flavor is excellent and very prevalent. I also think this is the best value beer on the market - delicious, 10% ABV in 12 ounce bottles, extremely well-priced and easily obtainable.

01-10-2013 23:35:35 | More by AnotherImperial
HistoricalMan

Wisconsin

3.61/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured down the center of a Left Hand balloon glass from a 12oz bottle. The bottle doesn't have a birth date but the label does note that it's a limited 2012-2013 bottling.

Appearance: A thick, jet black pour settles with one finger of creamy mocha-colored head. The head slowly recedes and leaves a halo creamy foam. Some lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, powdered chocolate, a hint of milk, bitter espresso, and some added sweetness from the alcohol.

Taste: A taste that matches the flavor; roasted malt, powdered chocolate, plenty of sweetness from the alcohol, and a fairly bitter finish. In fact, the finish isn't very smooth at all... very astringent and prickly on the palate.

Mouth: Medium body with light carbonation. I'm actually surprised by the astringent finish given the low carbonation.

A fairly decent imperial stout. I imagine the finish mellows out with time and at 10.00% ABV it should age fairly well. Overall, not my favorite chocolate stout but definitely something I'd be interested in purchasing again in the future.

08-04-2013 02:45:07 | More by HistoricalMan
beercat11

3.36/5  rDev -19%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I have had this brew for the last 7 offerings(brewing seasons) and every year I look for the uniqueness of each yearly release if there is one.

This years version seems more balanced and a little more complex than most past years versions, I keep a journal with my thoughts and note them when I have my first few sips. I feel that's when the small nuances of each batch are the most impressed upon me. I have never been a big fan of this stout but it is local enough to me where it is priced pretty well at $6.99 a 4 pack. I have seen it at local markets for as much as $3 more.

It seems that this stout always has a character about it that turns me off. I find it on the back end. Up front it has that traditional RIS that's so prevalent for the style but I can't seem to get beyond the off flavors I get towards the end.

There are roasted malts and black licorice candy which you would typically expect in this style but the finish is just too frustrating for me. Some reviews complain about the lack of carbonation here but I think they are on to exactly what I am saying about the finishing flavors. This year I got an idea on how to fix this issue and I have to say I nailed it first try. I added some high end all natural organic vanilla extract, about a teaspoon full into a 12 ounce bottle. Wow! who would think that this 1 thing could change everything about this beer, up front and all the way home.

If this additional flavor was added to this beer at the brewer You would see much higher reviews I am sure. Most reviews are up there but not everyone is as picky and critical of a beer as a few others like me. Try it and see. Just make sure you use high quality extract. Cheers.

01-22-2014 20:10:20 | More by beercat11
toppoop

4.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - pours nice and dark forming a very small head which ran away quick. No doubt has the look of other great stouts.
S - chocolate dominates the nose.
T - dark chocolate up front tasted great. The finish is more dark chocolate and burnt coffee with a touch of charred wood.
M - coats the palate well and lingers for some time after a sample.
O - above average stout that should age well.

04-11-2014 00:32:46 | More by toppoop
SlowTwitch

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

This is not a dark beer, this is a BLACK beer. This stygian brew had a very interesting head that at first appeared to be a rust color, but slowly transformed into a creamy walnut color as I continued to pour. I was amazed at how dark this beer actually is. It is almost completely aphotic when held to a light. Perhaps the best embodiment of a stout that I have ever seen.

This beer has a subtly spicy smell, dominated by chocolate (obviously) and coffee. A powerful scent that was noticed (positively) by other drinkers sitting nearby.

It clings stubbornly to the side of the glass when swirled, not quite like a New England Maple Syrup would be, but close enough where the ebony color is still easily noticeable when the glass is placed down again.

This beer is more like a food than a beverage. The chocolate flavor melts into a molasses type taste and mouthfeel, with a very mild hopiness to balance out the forceful, yet not overdone, roasted malt. I can taste what I can only identify as the ever so carefully blackened exterior of a steak in the malt. I am left with a continued flavor of spicy molasses after finishing this mouthful of beer. An experience not unlike eating a rich, moist piece of chocolate cake.

This is a beer best enjoyed in limited quantities. It is a complex beer that lingers pleasantly and can be enjoyed long after having been swallowed. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is not really a thirst quenching beer, but could be easily used as a meal or dessert unto itself.

07-24-2003 16:14:54 | More by SlowTwitch
holzmann

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

This beer pours pitch black with minimal head (I suppose I expected more of a creamy head on top). The color definitely lets you know what you are getting into. It has a very nice chocolaty nose, however this is accompanied by a fairly strong alcoholic smell, that almost gives this brew a cheap character. Feels full bodied on the tongue and has a strong, yet not overwhelming chocolate taste that finishes with smooth notes of dark, almost bitter, chocolate.
My initial thoughts were that calling this a "beer" is a bit of a stretch. So much of the experience that this brew provides makes me think "chocolate barley wine?" Overall, great taste, but this one definitely does not kick back easily.

11-18-2007 15:54:57 | More by holzmann
Paul68

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

had this at The Shepherd and the Knucklehead on a Brooklyn Brewery promotion night.
poured a deep black color with very little head that faded very quickly and with no lacing. had a malty smell with coffee and chocolate. this batch on tap was very syrupy and had very little carbonation.
i really have liked this beer every time i drink it from the bottle. this was my first time drinking this on tap. it wasn't bad, i just think it could of been better.

03-07-2008 00:09:57 | More by Paul68
DVTO2

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

The first time I tried this I got a quick thumbs up from my local retailer and brought it home to compliment my chile. The chile was hot enough that I didn't really taste the alcohol and I couldn't understand why my ears seemed to be flushed after only one glass of beer. It wasn't until I read other reviews that I learned it has a hefty 10.5% alcohol content - this is definitely a sipping beer.

The beer is dark and pours nicely into the glass with a full light chocolate head. The brew lives up to it's name as chocolate dominates the tasking notes from start to finish. In all honesty, I would probably rate the beer a bit higher if it had less alcohol, maybe just because I'd feel freer to drink more than one. Tonight I'm snowed in and am not going to bother plowing the driveway, so I can drink with confidence. However, I do think the alcohol detracts from the taste just a tad, enough to keep it out of the exceptional catagory. The brothers seemed to split on their impression of this beer. I'm in between - it won't be my first choice but I will recommend it to some of my beer loving friends.

12-20-2008 00:18:18 | More by DVTO2
KYbrewgal

Kentucky

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance
Dark as the winter night, with ruby highlights.

smell
Sweet roast with some alcohol phenols, chocolate and rich caramel, and a whiff of dark berries.

taste
Heavy roast (burnt), heavy sweet caramel

mouthfeel
Full without being chewy.

drinkability
Could easily ask for another.

comments
Goes really well with ancho chili chocolate and a nice fire.

11-10-2009 02:47:51 | More by KYbrewgal
EbPhrygian

Connecticut

The weather's getting a little warmer, but still I thought this would be a good choice for mid-March. Starting to become intrigued by the stout style in general, and particularly self-proclaimed "chocolate" varieties. Poured from a 12-ounce bottle (labeled: Bottling-Winter 09-10) into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a very dark [opaque] brown with one-finger mocha head. Retention is limited to a few small bubbles around the edge. This is a certainly a pretty beer to look at, as it is a lovely color.

Smell: Fairly strong aroma overall. Not much chocolate in the nose, but I'm anticipating that to be more of a property of taste. An earthy woodiness

Taste: Medium-bodied. Rather lengthy taste profile that begins with an earthy, woody bitterness. Gives way to a malty, roasted taste of creamy mocha coffee and finally finishes with a strong milk chocolate after-effect. All the while, a subdued hop quality is noticeable, too. Only as the beer warms slightly can I begin to taste the alcohol, so the 10% ABV is masked very well. Black Chocolate Stout is so satisfying to drink the whole way through.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant and smooth, not syrupy or overly sweet like I might have expected. Here I can savor the nice balance of [low] carbonation, bitterness, and sweetness

Drinkability: High, and probably its best attribute. Not that anyone should want to throw back several of these, but there's absolutely nothing getting in the way of finishing at least one, and this has been a problem for me when sampling other beers of this style. This beer is complex but easy to appreciate.

Notes: When I bought this four-pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I was deciding between it and the somewhat similar Southern Tier Choklat, which was only available in a bomber size, wasn't refrigerated, and was very overpriced. I think I made the right choice...

03-12-2010 03:32:51 | More by EbPhrygian
jrsully77

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Dark and rich, brown haze covers the thick head.

Roaster Malts and Dark chocolate

Great, this is in the top three of imperial stouts. It is thick but unlike most chocolate stouts this gives you just the dark chocolate taste not the milk chocolate.

Heavy, just like an imperial stout should be.

If you like Imperial Stouts you will love this beer. Since this is an imperial stout it can catch you with the high ABV and weight.

11-26-2010 19:30:52 | More by jrsully77
Invisoclam

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

Overall pretty good, for some reason the alcohol was a bit too pronounced for my palate, it seemed to get in the way of the beer. Otherwise not bad nice and dark, Chocolate flavor.
I may give this one another try at another time if in the mood to give second chances.

12-23-2010 20:47:52 | More by Invisoclam
KingHefey

Ontario (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

2010/2011 winter bottling into a glass.

A: the darkest of browns with half a finger of tan head. Very little lace.

S: burnt sugar and bitter chocolate fill the nose. Coffee beans and roasted malts make a nice presence. You can smells the high alcohol content... in a good way.

T: A very malty dark chocolate start, coffee is next followed by booze and again finishes with the dark chocolate, like a 90% cacao.

M: good carbonation and the creaminess stays on the tongue. A nice bite from the high ABV on the back of the tongue.

D: A fantastic beer to finish a good night. One and done in almost all cases, like a piece of dark chocolate. That being said, I think the brewer did exactly what he set out to do, imitating a square of very dark chocolate in an RIS.

02-15-2011 00:41:12 | More by KingHefey
pistola

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Ok the first one I tried was right out of the bottle. I expected a strong tasting stout (which it is) but this beer is much more than that. first sip a bit bitter but with much character. after that, it was love at second pull. I savored each sip really looking for good or not so good. Well, this stout does not disappoint. Rich Chocolate mixed with barley and malt. A serious treat of a stout. Alcohol taste to me was not overbearing at all. Goes down very smooth but beware!! This brew packs a wallop. I had 4 bottles in about 2 hours or so and you will feel it. Have to many and your not going anywhere!! At least not me. A great cold weather brew. At $7.99 a 4 pack, it is well worth it. I wont drink it all the time, but treat myself now and then. I like it!!

11-18-2012 17:25:47 | More by pistola
Dad_of_Rad

3.89/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2012 vintage poured into a snifter.

A: Very dark brown with milk chocolate head. Carbonation lingers.

S: Alcohol, bittersweet chocolate and roast. Touch of underlying dark fruit.

T: Boozy. Again, bittersweet chocolate, more coffee roast than in the aroma. Not as complex as a lot of RIS. Definitely like a straight up mocha with a small shot of whiskey or bourbon added.

M: Nice. Not necessarily creamy, but also not sticky. Carbonation helps to balance things out.

O: Solid. Very straight forward flavors, but well put together.

01-07-2014 03:04:02 | More by Dad_of_Rad
bunn4funn

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer pours into my snifter a dark inviting black, with no trace of light and a thick creamy head.minimal lacing for mr if any at all Looks beautiful though.

The aroma is none other than....you guessed it chocolate! There is also a hint of alcohol and the malty goodness that is to come.

The taste is knock you out chocolate with malts in the middle and a nice warming effect from the alcohol. Not overpowering but just as the name suggest a black chocolate stout.

The mouthfeel was id say medium but i do dring a lot of double stouts. Great though i thought it was going to be a bit more watery but i was plesently surprised to find that is was at a happy medium

Drinkabilty is high but i only scored it a 4.0 because after 3 or 4 your spent

Overall i had waited for this brew and the wait was well worth it. A damn fine brew from brooklyn that i will find myself going back to when i need a lil break from the doubles

11-24-2005 13:43:43 | More by bunn4funn
LuckySkuff

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I'll try to be succinct; I've honestly acted quite unwisely and have had three of these in the last two hours (quiet night at home, I'm allowed). Terrifically, absolutely delicious, and the ABV really sneaks up on ya - the mouthfeel is so rich and the body is so perfect, you can barely taste the alcohol.

Poured a dark black/brown hue with a little chocolate brown head. Very little to no carbonation to battle the pleasantly thick mouthfeel. Smells of tasty roasted malts, faint chocolate, mildly alcoholic; the taste is exactly what you'd expect - warming and creamy, and chocolatey. A lot like Bison Chocolate Stout, just a little richer and a bit more alcoholic. Easy to fall in love with.

As I said, this one goes down smooth, so be careful. Sorry to be so succinct; just try it if you haven't.

12-01-2005 07:05:23 | More by LuckySkuff