Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,729 | Hads: 6,290
4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Winter '05-'06 bottle.

Pours out like used motor oil. Has a rich, roasted malt smell. Minimal head, but what was there was a dark tan. Hints of coffee and cocoa in the nose. Has a strong roasted malt taste that ends in chocolate flavors. A hint of sweetness and alcohol when it first hits the tongue is quickly surpassed by bitterness. Chocolate notes come out as the beer breathes and warms up to make this a very pleasant sipping beer.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

In April they still have bottles of this at University Pizzeria in Youngstown. No complaints here. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours black. Very, very black. About a three finger darkish-tan head that sticks around a while.

S: Malts and chocolate. Quite pleasing.

T: As the beer's name might suggest, the first thing I notice is the chocolate. Dark chocolate. Very nice. Malts and a little bit of hops.

M: Syrupy, but not too syrupy. Carbonation just right.

D: If not for the 10.10% I could drink this all day long.

I'll always have a soft spot for Brooklyn Brewery, as their Brown Ale was one of my earliest ventures into the craft beer world, and this beer is definitely their masterpiece. One of my favorites.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

When I poured the bottle a deep brown head shot up and then disappeared almost completely. The color is deep, absolutely opaque black. The smell is slightly sweet with a bit of coffee bitterness. It feels a bit thinner than expected, but the mild carbonation gives it a nice smoothness. Chocolate is apparent with a slightly sour finish. The flavor is well-balanced with the higher alcohol content. It really coats the mouth and provides a lasting, smooth bitterness.

It is snowing vigerously as I am writing this, so the stout gives a welcome foil to the bitter cold outside. I didn't know what to expect when I got it, but this is really what I like to find in a stout.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A~ Minimal head in my pour. Probably me. Poured like maple syrup. Dark as night. Looked like the glass was painted black.

SM~ Smelled just like the bottle said it would. Chocolate maltyness, lil smokey but mostly malt. Very pungent.

T~ This taste just like a milkshake all grown up. Very sweet and filling. Strong lingering aftertaste.

MF~ Thick and syrupy. Sticks to your teeth and your mouth & even throat.

D~ I would drink more than 1 if I could. This is a tough but sweet brew. I call it a desert beer.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Served - bottle into a Mug

Pours a beautiful dark brown/black color with a lacy head that connects to the mug.

Very strong chocolate malty scent. Very wholesome.

Very strong chocolate and malts with some carbonation as well. Dark roasted malts.

Strong roasty malt after taste with some carbonation as you first taste it.

A wonderful stout that fills you up and makes ya remember it. Love the chocolate aftertaste mixed with dark roasted malts.

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a perfect black with a light brown/dark khaki head. 1 finger, some lacing. The nose is dark chocolate. Not pure cocoa but rather strong 75-80% dark chocolate because there is a sweetness in there. Some coffee notes but I can only really describe that as a Vienna roasted burnt coffee. It tastes very assertive at first but really smooths out as you go. At first it seemed a bit boozy but I was drinking it a bit too cold. As it warmed the complexity of this beer really came out. Creamy mouthfeel, perfect gentle carbonation. Finishes a bit sweet and malty and not roasted and bitter enough for my taste of Russian imperial stouts. This was a very good beer and it has some potency too at 10% abv.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

When I first poured this beer, I could smell the chocolate and heavily roasted malts from across the room. The appearance was an opaque black with an inch of creamy head. The smell is indicative of the taste, as this is one is all semisweet chocolate and malts. This is a fantastic brew, but the mouth feel is heavy, as if I was drinking chocolate milk. I've never been a big fan of Brooklyn Brewery, well until now that is.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

12oz. bottle found on a random trip to CapitalAleHouse to meet up with the wife and her friends after work. Not on the menu, i think this just came into stock today! Though not entirely cold, i did let the bottle set on the counter for 30+min. before opening.

A-Jet black pour into my Chimay Goblet. Half-finger, tan head that lasted from the kitchen to the living room. Good deal of lacing painted on the glass for the remainder of the drink.

S-Um, chocolate. More chocolate, little bit of alcohol, and i think that i can catch some coffee. Did i mention some chocolate?

T-Chocolate. Smooth, not quite creamy, yet not strong in any sense of alcohol-taste. Deceptively strong, even knowing what the beer was capable of.

M-Not quite heavy, but a slight sweet lingering on the palate.

D-Already on #3 for the night (one at the bar a couple of hours ago, and just popped the third) i don't think i could handle much more. That being said, i like this just as much as i did last year, maybe even more so. I plan on aging a few of these for next year to compare and drink the remaining amount for as long as i can find them

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

This is a stout that drinkers will love or hate, I imagine. It is easily the darkest, most alcoholic, and most assertive stout I tasted on a roundup of several domestic stouts, including several imperials. Upon opening the 12 oz bottle, I was immediately confronted by a Hershey's syrup smell. The pour was viscous and black, with a sinister, shiny, tan head - so far, so good. The head disappeared quickly albeit with substantial lacing. The taste, of course, is what will divide the audience. Imposing roasted malt flavor, more chocolate than coffee, with not much bitterness. There's a significant alcoholic presence, which is not surprising considering the 10.6% ABV. The taste is truly complex and continues to evolve on the tongue well past the swallow.

Each taste seemed to leave me with a different impression, from inticingly unique to wincingly harsh. For this reason I rated the drinkability lowest. I still don't quite know what to think, but I don't think I will rush out to buy a case to keep on hand. I would be really curious to see what this tastes like on tap - I suspect it is more appealing "live." So how does it compare to Guinness, the stout standard? I prefer it to Guiness for it's complexity and lack of Guinness's burnt, salty taste. However, it is "hard core" and like hardcore, perhaps too much of a good thing.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12oz. Bottle into Sam Adams glass.

Poured a thick, black brown with a thick tan head that dissipated fairly quickly. Much lacing left on the glass. Very nice so far.

Smell is dark chocolate, coffee, licorice, malts.

Taste is bittersweet chocolate, coffee, chocolate pudding. Nice!

Mouthfeel is perfect for a stout, creamy and full.

Overall a very nce stout. A tad on the bitter side, but approriate for the style. Good job Brooklyn.

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

One of my favorites. Poured from a growler into a tall tumbler at 40 degrees.

A - Impenetrably black. Two fingers of dense, light brown head that quickly disappeared. Not really any lace sticking around to speak of.

S- Dark chocolate malt notes, a bit of coffee perhaps. After that some dark fruit notes; plum, mostly, also some black cherry. Just a bit of heat from the alcohol, but you have to be looking for it.

T- Really rich and well-balanced. Chocolate is present, but sweetness is matched by roasty bitterness. The alcohol content is not obvious.

M- Full bodied with very light carbonation. A bit of lingering astringent quality from the roasted malt bitterness.

As a side note, this beer cellars very well. I once kept some Brooklyn BCS for a year, and it was really mellow after that time and the fruit (plum, black cherry, etc.) notes really gained in complexity. The restaurant I where I was working at the time served a 3-year aged BCS which was even more amazing. It could easily go longer in the right conditions. If you're disciplined enough not to drink it all, it's definitely worth trying to cellar it for a while.

Pair it with a slice of New York Cheesecake.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Stays true to its 'Black Chocolate' claim. Excellent bitter dark chocolate character, beautiful head retention, with a long chewy finish. Best beer I've had from Brooklyn!

3.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Just brought home the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout and was ready for that famed experience that the limited bottling implied. The pour was impressive as a dark chocolate filled my beer mug, the smell was pretty good with those hints of chocolate coming to bear. The taste, this part gets tricky. At first I thought it was exceptional on the mouth but then this taste of alcohol just overpowered the beer, which is weird since this is a chocolate stout. It was a decent stout but you couldn't drink more than one in a sitting. I will probably move on to something else for the winter without looking back.

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - pours darkest brown into a tulip glass, with a thick head of tiny, tan bubbles that persist nicely.
s - burnt and bitter chocolate notes
t - what a chocolate stout should be. not sweet, but the chocolate notes provide a perfect counterbalance to the roasted/burnt malt.
m - surprisingly bright at the front, a comfortable mouthfeel that leaves a nice coating bitterness
d - for a cold, winter night? yes please.

4.77/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours a thick, opaque near-black. Thin and fleeting dark tan head.

Smells sweet and dark with strong chocolate and maybe some prunes behind it.

Dancing dark chocolate and coffee flavors with a hint of fruit and of something dry and grassy; warming alcohol that helps dry out the finish to slightly bitter dark chocolate and coffee flavors.

Big, thick, and chewy; thoroughly satisfying.

I'd have to call this my absolute favorite. I doubt I'd have more than one at a time, but with a beer this good, there's no need to.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours out black as oil, tops off with a 2 finger frothy dark brown head which lingers for a good minute and a half, leaving a nice lacy trail down to the stout.

Smells strongly of hops, a little alcohol, smells exactly like the inside of a brewery.

Wonderful full thick mouthfeel, bitter hoppy black coffee bite, no alcohol zing. Smooth and creamy. Not as chocolate as I thought it would be, the roasted malt flavor is dominant. Nice sipping beer. This is the 07-08 release.

I'll bet it gets better in a few months, I think I'll get another case to save. Glad I bought it.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured this one from a 12 oz. bottle into an oversized wine glass. Brewed for the 07-08 Winter Season. Dark as night, zero translucence with a dark tan head that quickly dissipates with no lacing.

Smell of chocolate, coffee and cherries. Alcohol is definitely present in the nose as well with a hint of wood.

Taste is an excellent follow through with the smell. Chocolate and coffee are the primary flavors. Nuts and fruits come through as well. A bit of a heavy finish with bitter hops punctuating the experience. Alcohol is there, but certainly blends into the flavor so well that you might forget its there.

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. A nice thick stout that holds well against its peers.

This beer is a sipper. At 10.6% ABV, it is deceptively smooth, rich and tame. Thank god I got a six pack.

2.7/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours deep black with little head,The smell of this stout is impressive but the taste eluded me.It reminded me of dark Chocolate cake batter,a strong coffee and everclear,the alcohol was straight up hot,making the drinkability poor,I will put a little age on this one and revisit after proper aging,I may have had a hot bottle

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours pure black from a 12 oz bottle into my Darkness snifter. As expected, only a thin caramel colored head is present, but does not fade as I drink it. Lacing is abundant against the walls of the glass, but falls rapidly with small clusters of bubbles remaining.

The aroma from this is incredible. Intense sweetness fills the nose with notes of fig, plums, honey, brown sugar, coffee & dark chocolate.

Taste is a carbon copy of the aroma - not much else to say about it, it is excellent.

This beer coats the tongue with a syrupy-sweet layer that hangs around for what seems like forever. As it gradually diminishes, a bitter aftertaste reveals itself.

10% ABV? It is so well hidden, I get no burn or anything in the nose to tell me it's there. Drinkability is outstanding; it would be easy to overindulge in this.

Amazing beer, looking forward to getting some more.

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

App. - Black in color with a brown finger-thick head that lasts a few minutes.

Smell - Straight up chocolate. Bittersweet but strangely faint. Aromas are hard to pin down right away.

Taste - Chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. Glorious chocolate. Tastes like a Ghiradelli dark cocoa bar. Little to no alcohol flavor, which surprised me a bit.

Mouth. - Smooth. Not quite watery but not exceedingly thick either. Happy medium.

Over. - Great tasting beer. Perfect for people who enjoy chocolate! Would buy again in a heartbeat.

3.65/5  rDev -12%

I have just acquired some of the 2003 version of this beer.

It pours a beautiful opaque black, and fills the immediate region with an aroma of chocolate and alcohol.

The taste starts off malty sweet with a strong chocolate component, followed quickly by a hit of roasted malt and an alcohol warmth. It finishes with an almost harsh bitterness, which suggests most strongly to me that this beer is young. This brew seems to be a bit heavier in the alcohol department, and I'm guessing that a bit of aging will help it immensely. Having had the 2002 version not very long ago, I know that this beer has the potential to be one of the best of stouts...

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

First I'd like to say Hi to everyone.... I'm new here and fairly new to the craft beer scene, BA is great.

About this beer, I really enjoyed it. I picked up a 6 pack at Wegman's for $6.99 and broke into it as soon as I got home. It pours virtually black into a glass. It smells great; It actually smells a lot like dark chocolate. I don't even like dark chocolate and this beer made me want some! It tastes great too with a very strong flavor that is great late at night while relaxing after a long day.

I will definately buy this beer again, it's the type of beer that for me, a 6 pack will last a little while. Very enjoyable, but I would probably only have 1 or 2 of these in one setting. 6.99 wasn't that bad though for a beer like this, considering that Guiness costs over $8 for 6 beers. The only problem I have with it is it doesn't maintain much of a head.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from an 06-07 bottle (part of a 6 pack). Poured dark and rich into a Duvel tulip. Black from top to bottom, completely opaque. Two fingers of foamy head on top.

Smells like dark chocolate with rich coffee malt.

First taste is dark, moreso than most chocolate stouts that I've tasted. Flavors of bitter dark chocolate are prominent, but there's definitely some coffee in this one. It's a biter brew, but it's tasty.

Drinkability is alright, but its bitter and it's 10.6% abv.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

WOW this is a beer. I'll tell you what this beer and i had some good times together last weekend. But yea...down to buisness...the appearance was nice...dark dark brown, posibly black. It had a minimal head that was tan and about .25". The smell was nice, warm, sweet and full. The taste was fantastic. Warm malts with a creamy vanilla hint and there might have been some coffee thrown in and of course there was a nice sweet chocolate after taste. The moutfeel was very smooth without much bite to it and the drinkability was very nice; i had 2-esque in a tasting spree i had.

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

This beer has been named appropriately as the color is literally the same as crude oil. Furthermore, the consistency sort of looked like oil in the way it moved; there was some obvious viscosity. Still, it looked really good and was complimented with a thicker, pillow head. Bubbles were streaming up from the bottom of the glass - this one's highly carbonated.

This beer is complex. Hops, dark chocolate, espresso, and alcohol could be made out with only a few whiffs.

The taste was definitely chocolately with roasted flavors backing it up. However, a malty, bitter flavor was strong as well as the 10% ABV. The alcohol bled right through which was EXTREMELY disappointing. I definitely liked the taste but the alcohol killed it. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, but I couldn't finish my glass.

Typical of the style, this beer was on the thicker side, which also hurt it's drinkability rating for me.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery