Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

After hearing rave reviews about this brew I had to try it.

Appearance: pours a baker's chocolate brown with a pillowy, milk chocolate head.

Smell: toasty mocha notes with big 85% cocoa Godiva bar scents and a gingerbread finish

Taste: very roasty and malty. Velvety smooth with a fresh made s'mores quality like singed marshmellows and melted dark chocolate.

This is a truly complex beer with wonderful after dinner chocolate goodness and a 10% ABV to boot. Cheers!

Portertime, Jan 05, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

2008 vintage.

A: Pours a jet-black color with a large, stiff, creamy milk-chocolate colored head that retains excellently and really lays down some nice lacing on my glass. Retention is slightly under expectations, but that's a most minor complaint.

S: Big time roasted barley, chocolate, and coffee aromas. A hint of molasses-like sweetness, but not a lot else. Added strength and complexity would help things here.

T&M: Yummy. Big time roasted chocolate flavor, some coffee, a hint of black currant, molasses, and vanilla. Bitterness comes in very nicely on the finish and mellows out some of the sweetness. This really is a great beer! I've heard many complaints of the alcohol being too hot, but I really only noticed it slightly on the finish, and it wasn't a detriment to the experience in the least bit. Body is medium, a lot thinner than others in the RIS style, but the carbonation is also measured, which gives it SOME smoothness. I'd prefer a bit more silkiness and a bigger body, but it works in its present form.

D: Definitely THE most drinkable RIS I've had, which is dangerous. The ABV can sneak up on you, and it's really easy to drink so you've got to watch it! Still, this an unbeatable beer for the value and I'm glad I've sequestered the rest of the 6 pack in my cellar--it gives me something to look forward to next year.

BamaBeerBuff, Jan 22, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

ATXRyan, Oct 18, 2012
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Rich, velvety black color with a thin brown head and nice lacing. An attractive stout.

S - Deep, dark chocolate. Smells like one of those fancy dark chocolate bars. Nice hints of roasted malts as well. If you like the smell of chocolate, you will be in heaven.

T - Flavors of dark chocolate and roasted malts dominate. A bit of alcohol in the taste as well. Hints of coffee/espresso in the background.

M - Medium to full-bodied with a nice level of carbonation. A little bit of a dry finish and alcohol heat in the aftertaste.

O - The Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is a delightful winter seasonal and is a must-have if you love (dark) chocolate. The dark chocolate flavors are delightful and it's aroma is fantastic.

WMEugene, Oct 18, 2011

aliving1, Jan 03, 2012

YobroitsJoe, Feb 17, 2012

JesseLara, Jul 18, 2014

jkd03c, Jun 25, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

This one pours dark black with a brownish head that sticks around for a while before settling out to a creamy ring around my glass.

The aroma is big on chocolate and roasted malt with some alcohol. There is a bit of molasses in there too.

The flavor is of chocolate, roasted malt, molasses, dark fruit with a nice alcohol warmth. You really notice the chocolate with the first few sips and then once you are used to it there is molasses and dark fruit that present themself.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer and I highly recommend this one to anybody who likes big stouts.

Brian700, Jun 26, 2006

dlin0sbb, Jun 12, 2012

timjim1327, Aug 14, 2013

plinythederek, Jul 03, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Maybe my new favorite stout. I am actually rather surprised, while this feels like a stout in your mouht, it doesn't feel that way in your belly. this is highly drinkable, IMO.

Pours a dark, rich brown, very thick, very creamy, with a nice creamy, tan head. desert in a glass. Smells like roasted mocha (yeah, I know...) very nice.

It is appropoe that chocolate is the main taste in this bear. yeah there is malt, and some hops, but the chocolate definately shines through here, mixed with a spice, roasted malt flavor. Other people have mentioned this, and it is true, the chocoalte is overpowering, but it is still done in a nice way.

If you get the cahnce, get some for desert and serve with a nice creamy cherry pie...mmm

PSUDREW, Apr 20, 2004

treznor, May 06, 2014
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a dark black color with a small brown head that fades away quickly without leaving much lacing.

Amazing aroma of semi-sweet chocolate, roasted coffee, dark fruit and a hint of cinnamon.

I found the taste a little hard to rate. Taste starts off peppery with mild chocolate, vanilla and oak, with a spicy, slightly alcoholic finish. Not bad at all, but for me, the taste just didn't live up to the excitement of the aroma.

Smooth mouthfeel, perhaps a little thin, but not bad. I typically wouldn't drink more than one of these in a night but I will come back for more on another day. This one was reviewed fresh, but I've had it at one year and found it to be a bit better. I'll probably hang on to most of the remaining bottles for a little while and see how it changes this year.

Vengeance526, Nov 21, 2009
3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

rkf1976, Nov 15, 2014

ThirdEyePA, Dec 24, 2011

Erice78, Jul 30, 2013
4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

cfadams17, Aug 16, 2014
4.15/5  rDev 0%

Got this as a Christmas gift from a good friend! 12 oz bottle that says it's the Winter 2006-2007 edition. 10.6% ABV

A: Dark, oily black. Tan head. Rather viscous. Very little retention. Looks exactly as you would expect an Imperial Stout to look.

S: Heavy chocolate (as expected), caramel, molasses, alcohol.

T: A little sweet and syrupy. Dominated by the dark chocolate. Ends with a nice bitter swoop, like a bite of bitter chocolate. Nice interplay between the chocolate and the alcohol.

M: Thick and creamy, with a sharp bite from the alcohol.

D: Sip it slowly because of the high ABV%. I drank this while playing card games with friends - perfect complement to socializing with taking this one in and enjoying it. The character changes nicely as the brew warms to room temperature.

ndekke39, Dec 30, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

I have been drinking Brooklyn Beers for ages, but for some reason this one always escaped me. I have always been happy with the quality of Brooklyns brews and after researching Imperial Stouts I figured I had to give it a shot.
I got myself a sixpack of Winter 07-08 bottles and I have to say I was impressed. I like stout and I guess I drink it pretty regularly (usually opting for Young's Chocolate, Smith's Oatmeal or old reliable Guinness). The look, smell and taste of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout were top notch. I drank it from a small brandy snifter (which I highly recommend)and I was was totally impressed. This is not a brew to be swilled while watching the game, (it is filling and strong) but to be enjoyed in small quantities, much like a fine brandy/cognac. I recommend it with dessert or by itself with a nice cigar.

nasty15108, Feb 09, 2008