Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

A- Black body with a thin tan head.

S- Quick whiff of alcohol with a nice profile of chocolate malt and a faint roasted aroma.

T- Roasted malt with a big profile of chocolate malt, the alcohol is noticeable but not overpowering; there is a very faint smokey/burnt taste as well. Has a dryer finish with a lingering notes from the chocolate malt.

M- Creamy, smooth and very full.

D- Definitely a top-notch RIS; great with some Stilton blue. I kept half of my four-pack back for aging; i'm expecting good things.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A-Almost pitch black with a nice one finger mocha head that hung around for a bit and left some nice lacing. Looks great.

S-Roasted malt, dark chocolate, coffee and a bit of figs? Smells great too.

T-A delicious malty dark chocolate/coffee flavor with a bit of bitterness. I can't tell this thing is almost 11% abv. Its not hot at all.

M-Rich, creamy, full bodied with what I consider to be a perfect carb level, i.e., not too heavy.

D-For such a big beer, this is easily drinkable.

I think this is an outstanding job by Brooklyn. I will definitely pick up another 4 pack of this. Heck, I'll probably buy a case.

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%

I hear about this one every year from folks back east. Time to try it for myself.

Appearance- Black, obviously. A full inch of cocoa colored head. Lacing nicely.

Smell- Lots of roast. Almost a coffee aspect. Sweet dark chocolate. Almost like burnt coffee.

Taste- Hurm. Starts off with a nice chocolate note. Very nice. Chocolate, a hint of dark fruit. Almost raisin. Finishes with roast bitterness. Then it lingers. And lingers. And lingers. It's just so damn bitter and burnt. Hint of alcohol, while we're at it.

Mouthfeel- On the thin side.

Drinkability- No thanks. That bitterness just won't quit.

Chocolate? Really? More like burnt black coffee. Now, I am not a coffee fan, so that's a pretty big negative in my book. I was hoping the chocolate would balance it out, but it is a dark unsweetened chocolate, and it doesn't even show up much. This is a miss for me.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Pours a solid black into my pint glass with just about an inch of brown head. Moderate retention and lacing.

S - Rich with toasted malts and bittersweet chocolate. Notes of caramel, vanilla, espresso beans, and dark fruit and a touch of alcohol. Very Nice!

T - Mostly sweet roasted malts at the front, caramel, bittersweet cocoa notes ( a little less than I was hoping for ), dried dark fruit, vanilla, with kind of a bitter coffee/hop combination of the back end with a little more alcohol present than I would prefer.

M - Pretty well balanced, a little lighter than I expected from the look of it, but smooth and creamy nonetheless.

D - Very enjoyable to drink, alcohol is a somewhat present as a reminder of the ABV, but I could enjoy a few without any problems.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

First let me thank the "Rebel" of the BA board for trading with me to get this beer.I drank this beer a little colder then room temp cause I was anxious to have it.Its a little ironic that im drinking a Stormking while I type my reply for a BCS.Ive been waiting to try this beer for atleast 4 months.Here it is

Very black body with a light brown head that was 1/2 in. thick.Some lacing but it dwindles on the glass as I drink it.

There is a very dark fruit smell to this beer and I do smell some phenols? I dont know if im using that word right.

Not as "stout" as other "RIS" The roasted taste isnt as prominant as other 'RIS" ive had in the past.I taste more fruit then choco. in the aftertaste .Plum taste is very evident.

The mouthful is a bit thin and the booze is evident and so is the fruitiness.

This is good but its very complex for me.All of the flavors seem to blend in together.I want to have this again but save some till my palate gets more intune with all different flavors.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A: The deepest Mars black with the most subtle ruby red highlight ever. This stuff is crazy opaque... Almost no light shines though (even on a tiny wine glass pour). It's topped with a tan head which has ok retention and pretty solid lacing.

S: Super duper rich milk chocolate bon bon (the legit french deal filled with chocolate mouse which is more dense than then our sun).

T: This stuff is crazy effing rich. Wow, I'm glad it's my dessert and I would recommend everyone else to look at it that way. Seemingly infinite layers of chocolate of varying cacao percentages. Hidden deeper, hop driven, bitter citrus peel (orange, lime) sneaks into the scene almost pushing the line between bitter and tart... awesome!

M: Devils food cake

O: This is truly a dessert beer. And it should make for the best vanilla beer float of all time. Sweet and bitter merge, finishing sweet (too much so but what the hell). A must try for lovers of the style!

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

I've been drinking Black Chocolate Stout for about a decade now, but am just getting around to reviewing it.

Beer pours an almost opaque black with hints of a rubyish brown around the edge. The head is thin and camel colored. It's an attractive pour.

The smell is dominated by dark chocolate and intense coffee aromas. The taste features coffee upfront (very assertive coffee...espresso perhaps) and then finishes with a rich, dark chocolate taste.

It's a well carbonated imperial stout and the mouthfeel is thick and full. The drinkability is dangerous as this beer hides its 10% abv incredibly well.

Black Chocolate Stout is a winter tradition that has stood the test of time. I look forward to enjoying it for years to come. As an added bonus, I've decided to cellar a few bottles to see how this year's version evolves.

4.19/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

It pours a deep dark black, with about a finger head that quickly dissipates into slight lacing on the top.
The chocolate really shines in the smell,
Taste wise the chocolate is very forward, followed but subtle hop flavoring. This does a decent job of hiding the higher ABV, but you can still tell this beer has a kick especially as it warms.
This is a thinner stout and more carbonated than many of the stouts I have had.
Overall, well done and definitely work drinking.

4.14/5  rDev -0.2%