Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
View: Beers (70) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
heebes

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

355 ml bottle

Pours jet black with little to no head, some tan foam quickly dissipates. The nose is strong roasted malt, chocolate and phenol. Taste is heavy bitter flavours of dark chocolate, sweet toasted malts. Leaves a dry mouthfeel in the finish, heavy mouthfeel. Very easy to sip on, impressively drinkable. A great way to bring in the winter season.

12-11-2010 01:24:43 | More by heebes

12-28-2013 23:11:38 | More by nodder
gueuzeonhigh

Maine

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bible black brew cascaded into my glass with a presence that foretold of the taste extravaganza to come.
It's tan brown head remined me of bread dough rising with a sculpturing that was a delight to behold at every ensuing sip.
The flavor was everything this beer's moniker heralded-- hops with a bitter start, toasted malt with other flavor spangles here and there-sweet maltiness comingled with a tad of coffee perhaps. The 10% ABV makes it self known both in the nose and flavor. (I haven't opened my 2nd bottle yet). The finish is a long lasting copy of the start and a neverending flavor that leaves me wondering when it is going to fade.. At last the finish fades a clean diffusion leaving my tastebuds tantalized for the next sip.
The mouthfeel was so cordial as if my palate claims "this is where I belong" -- the feeling of a heavy bodied all encompasing substance that fit so perfectly it makes me sorry to see the bottle and glass empty.
Drinkability is exceptional even with a 10% ABV-- maybe because of the flavor and mouthfeel, I didn't tend to noitce the alcohol's affect on my constitution.

12-24-2006 01:44:10 | More by gueuzeonhigh
ExtraStout

This beer is possibly the best "bottled" beer from Brooklyn - I think we all know that the non-contract draft beer coming out of the brewery is much better! This beer pours a very dark brown/black with ruby highlights. There's a nice, light tan/brown head around the rim of the glass, although no Belgian-lace is produced. The aroma is of a bittersweet chocolate and candyish malt, but without hops, which is OK for the style.

The flavor starts with alot of chocolate and roastiness followed by a clear alcohol, a bit of hop flavor, and eventually mellowing into very nice coffee notes. The finish stays on the pallet a bit and is somewhat sharp. The carbonation level is appropriate and the body is nice. There are no off-notes to speak of. Overall, a nice example of the style.

05-24-2011 00:59:35 | More by ExtraStout
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

05-06 bottle
Pours a thick, totally pitch black with dirty brown foam on top, sticks around for a while. Aromas of dark fruits, alcohol, a tad bit of coffee and chocolate, but mostly roasted matliness. Flavors are dominated by a smooth and yet slightly bitterness from the chocolate malts. Chocolate flavor is subtle, but the finish is super fresh cream creamy, mmmm, lingers a while. Alcohol finishes the twang of this delectable brew, just at the end. I had one of these back in December when it was fresh, and this one has already seen some mellowing in the 5 months. One of my favorite RISs, and I was fortunate to have a friend drive a 6er of this from NY as it's not available in these parts. I will hope to save one for next year to try, but that is very unlikely.

05-04-2006 23:28:52 | More by dreadnatty08
beerhast

Indiana

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

08-22-2013 03:03:59 | More by beerhast
B967ierhunter177

3.3/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer pours black, period, with an 1/8" tan head and lacing throughout. The aroma is dark roast with dark bakers chocolate and a faint hint of smoke. The flavor is dark chocolate with milk chocolate, coffee, and raisin notes. Very complex. The mouthfeel is full and creamy with a biting, medicinal bite in the finish. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is a very good beer, recommended!

06-05-2012 01:09:42 | More by B967ierhunter177

04-09-2014 15:46:43 | More by JimmyAloysius
pbrian

Connecticut

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

'01-'02: A bedtime treat. Nice burnt coffee/cocoa flavors. Viscous mouthfeel that I believe could be balanced with a little more hops. Finishes with a warming acidic burnt malt bitterness. Aging usually rounds out the rough corners, but it's still good complex brew young.

01-29-2002 10:24:48 | More by pbrian
Fugazme

Nebraska

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks UncleFlip!

Bold and black. A small, dark tan head formed with little bubbles and then went away quickly. Some lacing, but a great looking syrupy beer.

Aroma is outstanding... milk chocolate, dark chocolate, cherries, sherry, vanilla, coffee, caramel.

Extra creamy on the palate. A slight hop edge on the back-end swallow and somewhat dry at points... but overall sweet, chocolatey with roasted malt toastiness. Hints of cola involved.

Outstanding.

01-20-2006 04:56:55 | More by Fugazme
angelmonster

Colorado

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Pours a 2 finger chocolate head, body is pitch black. Head retention and lacing are good

Smell is of sweet chocolate and roasted malt. No hops are really detected and alcohol is faint

Taste is of roasted, burnt malt. Some bitter chocolate and hops are also there. After beer starts to warm the alcohol becomes alittle apparent and I also get some dried prune or other dark fruit

Mouth feel is good. Beer is medium bodied with a nice syrupy consistency. Carbonation is sufficient.

Drink ability was good. For 10 percent, its not too strong, but its best consumed in a small quantity. The one I have is still pretty young, need to age acouple to see if they improve over time

12-18-2009 05:30:47 | More by angelmonster
caddybuyer

3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass. Winter 09-10 release.

A-Deep dark motor oil with a thick rocky head with awesome looking lacing.

S-Not a lot of nose on this one. Poured at cellar temperature and I expected a bit more. Roasted chocolate malts, coffee, no alcohol detected.

T-Bittersweet chocolate malts predominate followed by a bit of astringent hop bitterness and alcohol detected more in its numbing effect than in the taste. Pretty good, but feels a bit raw, although to be fair I've been drinking aged RIS all week so it can't compare. I'm guessing this will be pretty special in a year, and I'll put the balance of the 4 pack down and see how it does.

M-Medium mouthfeel with balanced carbonation. Not as full or chewy as I thought it might be.

D-I like this, and the potential is definatel there, but it really needs some age to make it a really great beer.

12-27-2009 01:17:35 | More by caddybuyer
ianjsullivan

Maryland

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

ST: 12oz poured into a chalice.

A: Black with a very thin raggedy dark brown head (swirling the beer a few times does bring that beautiful brown head back). It leaves nice spotted lacing on the glass.

S: Chocolate cake or milt (of course), roasted malt, smoke and coffee.

T: Gentle smoke up front rolls into roasted malt and coffee in the middle. By the end, strong chocolate (bitter, not sweet), alcohol, some roasted coffee bean, and smoke take over the finish and stay there (a very nice long finish).

M: Heavy, creamy in the middle, though the finish is drier (the hops balance out the beer).

D: High abv and heavy body does not make this a beer to be consumed in large amounts.

Overall: An excellent winter beer. This is not the first time I have had Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, but I never reviewed the beer until now. This stout is heavy, complex, and full of flavor. Even better, it is balanced well. I buy this every winter, and it has not disappointed me (except for when they changed from a six-pack to a four-pack).

01-25-2011 22:37:21 | More by ianjsullivan
rdilauro

Connecticut

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

WOW.... Thats one word to describe this stout. It is dark, it has a great aroma. Hints of chocolate and coffee with a touch of cinnamon.

Then the pour.... Dark dark dark through and through. Then slowly the white creamy head rises to the top. Not a lot, just enough to separate the dark from the cream.

The first sip. Its smooth, its delicious, you can taste the coffee more than the chocolate and it is smooothh The beer in your mouth is very full and the after taste lingers for a long time.

For a beer that is 10$ ABV, you would never realize it because it is so easy to drink

I gotta run out and buy several more 4packs.

09/2012
Second major tasting of this stout.. Same as before, loads of chocolate in the noise and in the taste. This years brew seems to be fuller and rounder than the 2011, which to me was even that much more enjoyable. The only negative, and its a very small negative, is that in this batch (2012), I seem to taste/feel more alcohol. Even at 10%, past years brews seem to have less of an alcoholic taste.
But then again, this could be just more beer tasting techniques and skills have been advancing.
Even so, a great STOUT!

11/13/12
Another Tasting: This one is getting better and better every time I taste it.. Its getting close to a 5 for me now

02/02/13
One more time. This time, I could feel the chocolate as well as smell and taste it I was anxious like a little boy in a candy stand waiting to unwrap the chocolate candy bar and bit into it. Well tonight, I was that little boy and boy did I enjoy this even more

09/23/13
Another tasting. Even more than before this stout has everything, I mean everything I ever wanted in a stout. The pour was beautiful. Deep rich black chocolate stout down into the glass, then topped with a 1 1/2 frothy amber cream head that stayed and stayed. Once my nose was inside the glass, I felt like a kid in a chocolate factory. The taste was superb, you would think at 10% ABV, there would be some burn here, but its smooth and smoother As I had more from my glass, I could detect the alcohol in the nose but still was not in the taste. The chocolate got richer and the beer kept on getting better.

09-24-2013 01:13:49 | More by rdilauro

bshiban

06-04-2013 00:09:13 | More by bshiban
99bottles

3.43/5  rDev -17.3%

Looking forward to this for a long time. Winter '03-'04. I wish I could have found an aged one. Pours black as the night itself. Small tan head that quickly....disappears? I have it at a good stout temperature. I wonder why there's no head? Anyway.
Smell: Oooooh that's nice. No hop bitterness in the nose. Faint alcohol over rich chocolate. Really pungent malt smell.
Taste: Smooth. Dark chocolate. Quite sour. No discernible hop character over the heavy chocolate malt. The label mentions imperial stouts. This seems very boderline. Very bitter aftertaste in a very different way. Not hop bitterness but more like...unsweeted baker's chocolate bitterness.
Mouthfeel is a little thin for me, especially for a limited edition winter stout. Lack of head and hops really disappoints me. Usually it takes me a long time to wash a glass that had an imp stout in it. My roomates bitch at me because I bring down pint glasses with week old sticky Storm King lace crusted from top to bottom. This beer's microscopic head didn't even stick on the sides. I guess drinkability might be ok, but I really can't see myself wanting another. Sorry, Brooklyn but I feel let down. I'll promise to try some other offerings, but to me, the flagship ran aground.

03-25-2004 19:25:51 | More by 99bottles