Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,722 | Hads: 6,260
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

"Limited Bottling Winter 11-12"

Bitter brew, lots of chocolate right upfront. I've tried most of Brooklyn's stuff and have found that I only like their specialty brews.

A: head is dark tan, leaves a nice sticky lacing. Head retention is great.

S: Not much going on. Smells bitter. Dark caramel and chocolate. Roasted and toasted.

T: It hides the alcohol content well with a very strong roasted coffee and chocolate malt that starts off sweet but finishes very bitter. Some dark caramel comes in and then finishes with a roasted coffee bitterness. Needs just a little more hop bitterness to balance it out.

M: Sort of creamy but a little too heavy, even for a black stout. Not bad but it could use a little more carbonation to support the weight of such a strong brew.

Overall: I like it Alot. The coffee aftertaste is quite nice. (835 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a very interesting beer. Pours a beautiful deep mahogany brown, nearly black with a thick 1" tan head. Visually this beer is amazing. It has a terrific toasty chocolate malt smell. First sip it was very intense and I was surprised at how many sips it took for me to kind of warm up to this one being a stout drinker. I didn't read the abv prior to purchasing as I purchased in a mix a six pack. I think the intense first few sips are due to the high abv. It may in fact be just a little to much, sort of throws the balance off for me in this brew. The chocolate doesn't come thru as much in the sipping of this, I taste more of a roasted coffee flavor. It's a good beer but it's not my favorite overall. Perhaps this beer is a bit to cold right now since it's just out of the fridge, maybe as it warms slightly other flavors will come out in this. (855 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

I tried an 06-07 and a 07-08 side by side. Both were thick. Almost like a syrup and dark as night. I think the 06-07 was a bit thicker. It smelled like like roasted coffee and chocolate. Taste was very good. Dark chocolate and coffee with some molasses. It seemed to coat my mouth like a syrup would and gave me a nice warm feeling. I think, due to the 10% ABV, two in a sitting were enough for me. (398 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a pitch black, with a thin coffeeish head that is almost immediately gone. It's alright to look at, but I could have used a little more head.

The aroma is a little skimpy. It's got some dark chocolate, a little alcohol, and a little sourness from the roasted malts. Once again, it's ok, but not all that great. I expected something much bigger.

The flavor is better than the aroma. It's rich and chocolaty - well named. There's a touch of the dark fruitiness I love about big dark ales like this one, but it's quickly beaten down on the finish by bitter chocolate and espresso, in conjunction with a little alcohol as it warms up. Not much in the way of hop flavor at all, but that's ok, I like my Imperial Stouts a little less hoppy than most. It's not really dry, too big bodied for that, but it does not leave the drinker with a lot of sweetness.

It's smooth in the mouth, not a lot of carbonation here. I guess that explains the lack of head retention. Somewhat creamy, though not nearly as much as, oddly enough, a beer like Duvel.

I'm only going to give this a three on the drinkability scale because, to me, this beer isn't balanced. If it were served with a rich chocolate dessert, the two would compliment each other beautifully, the sweetness of the dessert being tamed by the espresso like bitterness of the ale. But, on it's own, it lacks the intensity of dark fruit flavors that I love in this style. The roast character dominates this beer from start to finish.

It's odd - in three days I've reviewed two Imperial Stouts. The first, a Belgian example, was, if anything, too fruity and not roasty enough. This, on the other hand, is the opposite. A little more fruitiness would go a long way towards balancing this beer and making it a great one, other than a merely good one. (1,803 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

A very tasty Russian Imperial Stout. It poured out with a very subtle head. Almost seasoned to have the characteristics of chocolate and deep tones of espresso.
The drinkability surprised me. It had a great and easy palatability, but the 10% caught me off guard. The alcohol is barely detected,which is different thatn most beers with higher ABV's.
Delicate sweetness is evenly distributed throughout the beer.
Overall, i truly do enjoy this beer...more so once in a while rather than often. Treat it more like the name suggests it to be....chocolate (552 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%

This beer shows very well. Very dark black with slight hints of crimson along the edges of the snifter. Very little head but what little is there, is a dark tan. There is a little lacing on the side of the glass, more reminiscent of a scotch than a beer.
The smell is of mocha, roasty malts and a spicy hop flavor. My complaint is that there is way too much alcohol smell.
The taste is better than the smell with more bitter chocolate flavor being more pronounced and less of an alcohol taste, but it is absolutely still present. It reminds me of a 70% coca bar dunked into some hard alcohol. There is some malt characteristics but i find them to be pretty subdued.
The mouth-feel is pretty good. There is a fair amount of carbonation and the beer finished pretty dry.
All in all this beer is weighing in at 10 abv so some alcohol is expected to be present but the current recipe doesn't do well in covering it. I think that this stout would be much more enjoyable if the alcohol were dropped a few points or if more effort were put into covering it up. (1,055 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

black. a fizzy, tan head with large bubbles that settles to a thin layer with moderate lacing, and the smallest trace of it lasts throughout.

aroma of some dark fruit, plums figs and currants, alcohol and bitter chocolate.
mouthfeel that is unexpectedly lighter than you'd think.

it's rich and bitter like a good dark chocolate. there is warming sense from the alcohol, but it isn't out of proportion. a raisin, plum like flavour.

the finish starts bitter and ends with chocolate notes.

i bought a few extra bottles that will try to go unnoticed until next winter, when they are needed most! (599 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Opaque deep brown/black with a very thick, creamy brownish-tan head. Looks awesome in the glass!

S: Initially milk chocolate when poured which quickly turns into a dark chocolate scent; roasted malts; mocha

T: Dark chocolate with a bittersweet flavor that is well balanced. A bit of a bitter coffee-like aftertaste in the finish. Slight alcohol booziness. A bit of a metallic-like flavor.

M: Awesome! Full bodied and very creamy. Medium carbonation.

O: Nice brew overall. The chocolate flavor is very pleasant and the brew itself is well balanced - not overly sweet or bitter. The only thing I didn't like was a slight metallic-like flavor. It's not a dealbreaker though and the brew would go great with a chocolate desert! (730 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Had this on tap at the local option in Chicago.

The appearance was as expected, very used motor oil dark brown. Head stayed around nicely, which is not common for this type of beer in my experience.

The smell of chocolate and malt is very present.

The taste was so very smooth. No bitterness from the dark malts, no astringency, no hop bitterness. It is almost like complex chocolate milk! Usually when a stout gets this smooth, it starts to taste like water. Somehow this one has in your face malt and chocolate flavor, while maintaining a very smooth taste.

Overall this was one of the best RISs I've ever had for my palette, and I've had both Dark Lord and Surly Darkness. (679 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +17.3%

'05='06 bottling

A: Pours thick, black and creamy with a thick, dark cocoa brown head

S: The smell is of dark chocolate, roasted malts with a hint of mocha and coffee

T: Here is where this wins me over. Amazing dark chocolate flavor that is not too sweet. Hints of mocha and roasted malts comes through and balances this perfectly. Bitter dark chocolate aftertaste persists.

M: Smooth and creamy, perfect feel

D: Very tasty and not too sweet, definitely enjoyed as a desert beer watching the game.

This stout quickly moved towards the top of my list of stouts. I would definitely reccommend this beer, even to the uneducated. Next time I plan on buying a few and aging for a couple of months; I feel it can only get better with time (751 characters)

Poured from 12 oz single into a tulip pint glass. Appearance is completely black with less than a finger of well tanned head. Smell is heavy on espresso with some chocolate and maybe licorice. Taste is as advertised: chocolate at the front with coffee finishing with milky chocolate. Mouthfeel is creamy and carbonation is not very noticable. Not the most drinkable ale I've had-- its nearly 11% ABV is too much to mask and more than two in one sitting would be a bit much. Well done though, even if it's not my thing. (518 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I look forward to this beer every year. Just picked up the 2011-12 edition.

A-Poured a motor-oil black color with a mocha colored head that was about 1/2 fingersbreath thick

A-Bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, roasted coffee

T-Roasted malts and bittersweet chocolate. A roasted coffee flavor follows with a hint of caramel. Well balanced.

M-Creamy, thick mouthfeel. Minimal carbonation. Almost a chewy characteristic

Overall: I love this beer. This year's edition, in my opinion, might be the best balanced BCS compared to the last several years. Very drinkable. If I have to find one fault, it would be that you can't detect the alcohol at all, and, at 10% ABV, that is a dangerous thing. This is a definite beergasm! (727 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I poured the black viscous liquid into a pint glass. Somewhat surprised that the head was minimal but as I drank it left a beautiful caramel colored lace down the glass.
Coffee and chocolate in the nose. A lovely thick malty aroma.
First thought: YEAH!! It was a very smooth malty presence with a comforting bitter after taste. The initial sweetness lingers for awhile then is washed away with a blast of coffee bitterness.
"Calm, Cool, Collected" Nice crisp carbonation.
Quite a remarkable beer. A stout that has a wonderful sweetness as well as a defined bitterness that is amazingly balanced. Quite an accomplishment. Big Props. (632 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a deep black in color, as the label would indicate. One finger of tan brown head sticks around and leaves a pleasant lacing. This beer smells like fire, but that is most likely due to the fire and not the beer itself. The dark rich malt and roasty scents balance well with the pleasant burning wood aromas. The flavor is deep and varied, developing well over the palate. In the front comes the malt, followed by the semi sweet chocolate and rounded off with a gentle bitterness from the hops. The mouthfeel is not quite as creamy as I would like for a stout, but the otherwise overall excellent quality of this brew compensates for that. Definitely recommended.

Cheers, Matt (682 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

A - Very thick, dark like black paint with a thick carmely looking head that hangs around for quite some time.

S - Chocolatey and roasty

T - Unbelievably balanced malts and chocolate taste. This leaves a good aftertaste without being too much. One of the best tasting beers, if not the best tasting beer I've tried to date.

M - Feels amazing. Like eating an ice cream sundae.

D - Very drinkable, but at 10% ABV you may want to be careful. I would think of this more as a dessert.

Overall - I am blown away by this beer. I'll have to revisit this one in a month or so to make sure it isn't my mind playing tricks on me. I really enjoyed drinking this tonight. (663 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Appearance - Deep brown to black color with about a finger of toffee colored head that vanished quickly. Very little to no lacing.

Smell - Wow, lots of sweet, roasted malt in the nose. You can definitely smell the 10% ABV right away, I was a little worried that the alcohol would dominate the taste at this point.

Taste - This is really where this beer shines, and worries about the strong alcohol taste dominating quickly vanished. The flavors in this beer are very complex and work well together. Initially the taste is very sweet and there is a definite cherry flavor, but as soon as you start to exhale, all the bitter dark chocolate really shines. The chocolate, almost coffee flavor lingers for a while in your mouth.

Mouthfeel - Silky smooth feeling here, with very little carbonation. It completely surrounds every nook and cranny of the tongue and almost has a thick/syrupy feel.

Overall - This beer was a pleasant surprise, I've heard good things about Brooklyn Brewery for years, but I've never really been very impressed by any of their offerings. This changed that though, this brew was quite complex, effectively hid the high ABV, and left a wonderful dark chocolate taste in my mouth well after finishing the glass. (1,234 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Very smooth and easy drinking RIS. 10% barely noticeable. Chocolate tasty but not overwhelming. If you're into this style give this one a try you won't be disappointed. (169 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -9.2%

The last of a six-pack I bought about a month ago (stored in cellar). Here goes...

Pours jet black, with a tiny and short-lived coffee colored head. Just a little lacing left after 30 seconds. This is less than I'd like in a stout.

Powerful roasted barley in the nose, almost too powerful, but it still allows other aromas to get through. There's plenty of black patent there too, and hints of chocolate. No hops in the nose - some aroma hops might balance the roastiness, and wouldn't have been inappropriate in this style, IMO.

This beer gets better in the mouth. Roasted barley's still strong, but there's a pleasant sweetness that offsets it. Rich and chocolatey. There's not quite enough hop bitterness to balance the sweetness and roastiness, but almost.

Mouthfeel is really full and chewy. There's a bit of a bite from the carbonation that's not quite right for the style, just a little too fizzy and not creamy enough. Still, a pleasant body, with a tiny hint of alcohol warmth in the swallow.

Overall, quite a good stout. IMO, it would be better with a tad less roasted barley, and just a little more hop in the flavor and aroma. I'll be getting this again next year! (1,191 characters)

A - pitch black with a barely there tan head which didn't last enough lace the glass. At first I was disappointed but shouldn't have been given the ABV

S - I would have to agree with the other ratings definitely some dark fruits (raisin or prunes) followed by of course chocolate.

T - More of espresso than coffee with a hint of chocolate and alcohol

M - Warm but dry, due to the alcohol content

D - The finish was dry with a lasting espresso roast into the aftertaste. The alcohol gives a warm feeling after consumption.

If you can still get your hands on a bottle I would savor it and bring it out later in the year. (633 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A thick black motor oil pour into my glass. With a nice tan head that fades in a few minutes.
Is it just me or does this beer sound really good as it pours?

Smell: Strong notes of black Chocolate with roasted malty undertones.

Taste: Heavy dark chocolate with just the right amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full, but not over the top. This is a fantastic sipper.

Drinkability: IMO this is a fantastic example of a Chocolate Imperial Stout and is one of my absolute favorite beers. I think that this is a real standout and is definitely worth trying for anyone.

The perfect nightcap after a long cold winter day. Cheers! (640 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured literally pitch black into a pint glass with a thick brown head; almost like espresso crema, which dissipated to a light brown ring around the glass, and some lacing.

Smelled like chocolate, malt, alcohol, and a bit of coffee on the pour. Not overwhelming at all.

The taste was (as my wife said), like a sledgehammer to the mouth. Molasses, DARK chocolate, coffee, dates, and alcohol. Sweet too, almost too sweet. This is a strong beer, and it tastes that way. Thick mouthfeel too. Somewhat overwhelming.

Overall, this is a good beer, but a little over the top for me. The mouthfeel and strength are more in line with a barleywine like Old Crustacean (although the flavor is obviously totally different); and this from a guy who generally likes dark beers.

On that note; this is by far the darkest and most opaque beer I have ever seen. I held it up to a lamp, and no light came through. I was so surprised that I went and got my ludicrously powerful LED emitter light (brightest thing you have ever seen; built the switching PSU myself to drive a luxeon emitter for all the electronics nerds out there) which I stuffed into an old plastic LED flashlight.

In comparison, a Guinness looks like a dark amber with that light behind it.

Insane; this light will leave you unable to see indoors for at least a minute if you look at it. Think about it ;)

edited: I have grown into some of these bigger beers, and this beer is a lot better than I gave it credit for. (1,474 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

At first I thought the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout came in a special black bottle... but I was wrong. To say this stout is dark is a complete understatement. This brew black hole black! When held up to the light absolutely no light passes through... This is then topped off with a rich dark tan head, which unfortunately dissipates quickly. Aroma is nice... nothing overpowering maybe some fruity notes. Taste is great. Dark chocolate is the obvious flavor; the high alcohol content is also prevalent. As the beer hits the front of the tongue maybe even a hit of sweet fruit notes. Mouth feel is ok, carbonation is high... The Black Chocolate Stout is the perfect desert, as the finish of this is probably the best I have experienced. The taste of chocolate will linger on the back of the tongue well after the beer is gone. (827 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

The tan head forms up nicely and stands proud as if to say, "I am Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is Stout." Black does not even begin to describe this brew. It's advanced darkness that seeks light (lite) of the world and swallows it whole. The nose is as fruity and toasty as the first taste is. The body isn't too heavy and it leaves a good fruit flavour that I love from a good stout and only comes out in the best of chocolates. Good beer all around, a must buy if ya got it. (470 characters)

Appearance - motor oil pitch black. Nice tan head.

Smell - dark chocolate. a bit of raisin as well. unique and complex as you would want from the style.

Taste - dark chocolate taste and roasted coffee with slight caramel and dark fruit again that might be my favorite part of this beer) . Roasted malt up front then ends with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and silky on the palate, with that nice hop bite at the end. Nice hangtime that really lets some of the complex flavors come through on the palate.

Drinkability - Drinkability is far, far too good for a beer of this weight and Alcohol content. I am partial to the style and this is my favorite example. CHEERS! (691 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle to Brooklyn snifter, '10-11 release.

A: Pours ink black with about half a finger of milk chocolate colored head that disappeared quickly. Lots of lacing sticking to the side of the glass. What you want an imperial stout to look like.

S: Complex smell. Espresso, milk/dark chocolate, roasted malt, some notes of dark fruit, figs, raisins, plum, and aroma from the alcohol.

T: Dark chocolate, some bitterness from the chocolate/espresso flavors towards the middle of the tongue, roasted flavor, some sweetness from the dark fruit, and booziness.

M: Medium bodied, smooth with a bit of carbonation. A slight alcohol burn, but it's masked well by the flavors of the beer.

D: It's definitely a sipper at 10%, but the booziness is by no means overwhelming. (768 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery