Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

This is my first review, and I am not an extremely versed stout drinker, so keep that in mind when factoring this review into your decision about whether or not to try this beer. We all gotta start somewhere...

Glass - Snifter

A - Pours a very deep brown/coffee color with very minimal head which quickly dissipates. Roughly opaque as dirty motor oil. Moderate lacing fades slowly down the glass between sips with small retention around edges.

S - A toasty chocolate aroma with a hint of tree bark and roasted dark malts. Perhaps even a little raisin. The scent of alcohol is present and slightly distracting for the first few sips, but I found my senses quickly adjusted to appreciate the smells in concert with one another.

T - The chocolate aroma translates into a more subtle flavor, giving way to more of a charred taste which I might describe as the beer version of the flavor that comes from a wood-fired pizza oven. At a 10.0%, the alcohol is a little bit out of balance for the first few sips. It may be off-putting to other non-stout drinkers such as myself, but I strongly encourage you to stick with it before ruling out the taste as not to your liking! Also, I found the taste to be more palpable at a temperature slightly above what I'm used to, so maybe try that out if you're not feeling it.

M - I am not used to judging mouth feel, but I would say I haven't had many thinner-feeling beers that are as dark or darker than this. Leaves a semi-sticky aftertaste that somewhat coats the mouth in a coffee grounds flavoring.

O - Very pleased with this seasonal offering from Brooklyn Brewery. It is not exactly up my alley, but represented itself and its style very well. I see myself sipping this one again in a long session as I read or do work late at night. I will probably not have a reason to buy another 4 pack, but I would definitely recommend it, and would jump on trying it if I saw it somewhere on tap. If I had only gotten a couple sips of this, my opinion would be totally different, so all your non-stout drinkers, stick with this one!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Poured this Russian Imperial Stout from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. This stout poured a dark black color, produced a light brown head, featured excellent retention and left a very nice amount of lacing on the glass. The aroma consists of dark chocolate, fresh ground coffee beans, and some grape/wine like fruitiness. Full bodied, this stout was extremely smooth and creamy. Very nice mouthfeel. Foundation of roasted malt, espresso beans, dark chocolate, alcohol, and grape/prune fruitiness. I would classify this brew as a winter warmer- something to keep handy on the first blustery cold night in December. Excellent example of the style, its a big beer but not so big that you have to force your self to finish the session. Overall...outstanding.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Old ratings: (5.0/4.0/4.5/4.0/4.5)

Brief write-up for a 2012 vintage. Though I was disappointed this beer poured practically no head, it made up by being a lot more chocolaty than I remember from the aroma. I still enjoy how it transitions from sweetish dark fruits to a roasty finish, all while staying in balance. Surprisingly complex, especially in comparison to its "readily available imperial stout" brethren, such as Yeti and Old Rasputin. No frills, but very well crafted - the only real flaw is that the alcohol isn't hidden spectacularly.

----

One of the beers I picked up to commemorate my parents' anniversary. Poured into a Williamsburg Winery red wine glass.

A: Has a pitch-black body with a beautiful, dark mocha-colored head. The light has no chance against the body of this beer. The head has excellent retention for 10% (seriously, it's confusing) and fantastic lacing that just won't go away.

S: Really nice smell of roasted malts and dark chocolate. A bit of booze adds to the character of the beer.

T: Oh my. This is stunning. The dark chocolate and chocolate malt notes are amazingly executed, and a bit of roasted maltiness keeps it in check, as well. Great complexity and balance makes this an incredible slow-sipper. Maybe the booziness is a tad strong, but it's otherwise hard to tell it's 10%.

M: Borderline silky smooth with good thickness and a slightly dry finish. A bit warm from the alcohol, but it adds to the character wonderfully.

O: This was $8.50 for a 4-pack? For the quality, this is a fantastic value! It's one of the finest slow-sipping stouts I've had. If I had to nitpick, I'd say it could be a touch less alcoholic, but who cares?! If you're a stout fan (or a beer fan, for that matter), get this immediately.

(5/4/5/4/5)

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

A-Poured black with tan 2 finger head. Looked delicious.

S- smelled lightly of chocolate. Alcohol smell was overbearing.

T- first sip was pretty bad imho. The alcohol taste reminded me of a cheap "ice" beer.
I dis notice as it got warmer that the alcohol didn't stand out as much and I was delighted as the chocolate, toasty' and liquorice taste came through.

M- mouthfeel was good. Pretty heavy, which I like.

O- wasn't very impressed but at the same time i'm new to this and it may be that the alcohol taste should stand out as it did. Loved the look of this stout but smell and taste was had a bit more alcohol presence than I like.

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%