Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,716 | Hads: 6,238
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

12 ounce bottle, winter 02-03 vintage. Pours black and dense, with a minimal tiny bubble film/head. Nose of burnt malt and alcohol.. Large and lovely this beer is soft, subtle and smooth. also strong, flavorful and satisfying. Notes of burnt malt, expresso, motor oil, rocket fuel. this classy sipper has it all. Put a few bottles away for a year or two, its worth it. (368 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a viscous jet black that no light can escape. A small chocolatey offwhite head appears about an quarter inch thick and laces the glass forever.

Smell: Aromas of roasted malts, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, burnt malts, and alcohol.

Taste: Initial burnt and roasted malts hit up front. This is followed by a smooth chocolate and more roasted malts. Coffee is also in the mix and a slight nutty flavor as well. This beer finishes with a nice hop bitterness and a warm alcohol. YUM!

Mouthfeel: This beer is thick and chewy and just sticks to the mouth its so damn good. What a pleasure on the tongue.

Drinkability: With all the complex flavors of malts this beer is exceptional. (706 characters)

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

I've been looking forward to trying this beer. Imperial Stout is one of my favorite styles and Black Chocolate Stout is highly regarded. This is a '03-'04 vintage and I chilled it to about 60 degrees F. It pours into the chalice in a silky stream that gives up a 1/4" bronze head which subsides into a ring. The nose is slight. The taste is chocolate but rapidly delivers a surprise tang. The second taste and the tang is gone but the juiciness remains. This is an interestng sensation I don't often have. The result is a smooth mouthfeel.

The chocolatiness returns in the subsequent tastes and the mouthfeel is the silky sensation that matches the pour. I'm aware of the alcohol. This beer makes me curious.

I have other "go to " Imperial Stouts that are available locally that will keep me happy (Bell's Expedition, Rogue IS, North Coast Old Rasputin). This offering is similar to Victory Storm King. It's not the same as Storm King but it has the same attitude. I'll enjoy it again but I won't go out of my way to acquire it. I'm happy with my locally available Imperial Stouts. Thanks to francisweizen for the sample. (1,129 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +2.2%

Very nice offering.
Pours dark black with minimal tan head.
aroma on this one was all chocolate, slight slight hint of roasted coffee.
Tatse was all chocolate, great after dinner beer with desert or on its own.
not as complex as Storm King, but it was very nice but just didn't have the complexity. (303 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours out a nice pitch black color with a little over an inch of tan foam. The head retention is fairly good as it sticks around for a few drinks and leaves a nice lace around the snifter as it is consumed. The aroma is reminiscent of Kahlua, with notes of coffee, dark chocolate and a slight hint of dark fruits. Taste is very much similar with a bitter sweet dark chocolate taste standing out front with roasted coffee and a slight earthy hop tone complementing it. The chocolate taste coats your mouth along with a nice full mouthfeel. This is another great example of a highly drinkable imperial stout. A great IS in every area, highly recommended. (652 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

2003/2004 release. Pours completely black with a coffee colored head that dissipated relatively quickly. Aroma has some hints of caramel, cherry, black licorice, and roasted malts - but the overall scent I pick up is that of dark chocolate liqueor. This brew coats the mouth like syrup & is bittersweet. More licorice & cherry in the flavor profile, but also, of course, loads of dark chocolate. Alcohol is significantly more upfront than I would have hoped, though the brew becomes more well-rounded as it warms. All kinds of heavily roasted/burnt malt throughout. Finishes a little dry with long lasting chocolate truffle, espresso, & dark cherry. (649 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Standard Brown 12 oz. bottle, vintage winter ’03-‘04
Aroma: Rich coffee, chocolate malts and a slight bittersweet blend, very inviting.
Appearance: I got a thin leather brown head that was fed by several streams of carbonation. A few small fingers of lace trailed after a very modest ring (I may need to take better care of my glassware). It looks like a glass of midnight; I had to put it right up against a bulb to get a few rays of light through that just showed clear black. Not brown, not ruby: black.
Flavor: An oddly neutral taste while I hold it in my mouth, but as I swallow, the bomb goes off. First is a slight bitter spike, masterful use of hops. As that fades a sweet molasses soothes, followed closely by a rich, high quality tobacco taste that trails off into a wisp of smoke. As it warmed, I got a hint of alcohol taste but it was well hidden. Some nice toffee tastes came out late as well. The entire beer holds together as a complete package.
Mouthfeel: This is one of the fullest beers I have ever put in my mouth, thicker than my heaviest homebrews. Almost syrupy, a heavy chew and it left about 7 coats throughout my entire mouth. It numbed my gums just slightly.
Overall Impression: Glad I was sitting down, this stuff rocked my world. Beer for Russian Royalty? This is beer for the Gods! A superb Imperial Stout. As I check the BJCP guide for reference, I’m not terribly surprised to find this beer listed as a classic example. Drinkability? While this beer slaked my thirst in a mighty way, I could probably drink another, and it is a beer I’d be happy to acquire again. Many thanks to mattcrill (actually, his wife) for the bottle, I am indebted. If you are lucky enough to see this little gem in your local store, buy it, all of it.

2015 edit: Bringing taste down by .25 to rank it appropriately in my top beers. (1,844 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a great imperial stout. As the name of the beer suggests, you get a bitter dark chocolate flavor in this beer. It is not overly sweet or sugary, but the chocolate remains the dominant flavor.

It has an appropriate amount of brown head that tops this heavy black/brown beer. There is a roasted, malty quality to the smell that is not overpowered by the chocolate aromas.

This is a very balanced Imperial Stout. I'd drink it again. (444 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

winter 2003-2004 bottling

the beer looks great in a snifter, all deep black body and subdued caramel head.

the nose is stellar, full of roasted coffee, cocoa, and dark spicy notes.

there is a good bit of rough carbonation in the mouthfeel, which seems appropriate enough. i could have used a little more thickness in the body, but not too much.

deeply roasted espresso starts the flavors, followed by dark chocolate, black coffee, peppery alcohol, burnt raisins, and slight notes of hot tarmac. unfortunately, with the last three sips the roast became so harsh that it began to taste like rusted metal. that same metallic tinge makes me reticent to suggest that the beer is very drinkable.
edit: i tried another bottle after a few days and the metal flavor was nowhere to be found. so, i tried a third ; ) and no metal. i've gone back and changed the numbers, and i recant my attack on the beer's drinkability. a truly decadent beer that shouldn't be missed. just hope you don't get an off bottle.

cheers,

s.d. (1,031 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Winter 2002-2003 bottling (12oz) kept in 50° refrigerator, tasted on 5/04/04. Poured an impenetrable brown/black color with very few fine carbonation bubbles. Reddish-brown head that quickly disappeared leaving very slight lacing. Aroma heavy in chocolate with mild roasted scent. A very heavy mouthful with definate chocolate and roasted flavor. The roasted feature comes out stronger on finish and lasts for several minutes. (427 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +7%

Stouts are not my favorite style but I am trying to taste more and more. I won't write any bad reviews for any stouts I have tried even if I don't like them because I feel I need to know the style better. That said, when I find a stout I like, I have to write a good review about it. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is a great brew. Lets start with its appearance. Wow! Very dark brew and you cannot see any light through it. The head is kind of tan and dies down shortly after pouring. The smell is exceptional. Its really just what you would expect only better. It is a heavy aroma of chocolate and coffee. After taking a good whiff of the beer, there is no way you can wait to try it. Mmmmm chocolate. The beer has a bitter kick to it as well. I didn't really pay attention to the ABV and it surprises me that its so high. Disguised very well although you know you are having something over 6.5. (897 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14%

Well, even though a seasonal brew, I was able to obtain at the end of May. Brewed in the 03-04 season. I pulled a recommendation from the Brother's top 50 and went to one of my favorite brew stores to purchase. This was the only one available on my list.

Pours the blackest, darkest beer I have yet to see. Even when held up to the light, it remains dark and there is no seeing through it. Like oil from the can. A nice frothy, light brown head forms at the top, about two fingers, but dissipates quickly. Leaves trace amounts of lace that really cling to the glass.

The aroma is definitely malty and chocolate flavored. It has a wine-like aroma also. The taste is fabulous at first tilt of the glass towards the mouth. The nose gets a hint of the malty aroma first and then the taste kicks in as soon as it hits the mouth. Malty, bitter chocolate flavor fills the mouth. Even with the high ABV, there is no distinct alcohol flavor, a salute to the brewer goes out.

Once swallowed, there is left a nice bitter aftertaste that is really subtle yet distinctive. This is a fantastic and extremely good Stout. I will buy again and I highly recommend it. (1,160 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

First I just have to complement the label, it is just nice and classy, very stylish. It also lets you know that it has 6 varieties of black, chocolate, and roasted malts... nice. Poured pitch freakin' black, beautiful. Beige head reduced to a creamy but minimal ring around the edge of the glass. Amazingly what I taste reminds me of fresh red bell peppers, odd? but very good. Scents of roasted malts. (drank this in the same place with the annoying cigar guy lurking nearby, so he tampered the great experience of this beer... as much as I crawled away from him...) Tastes of chocolate and the roasted malts, godiva liquor (yummmm), black coffee... Not too thick or heavy, just perfect. Great mouthfeel and a nice lingering finish. Schweet. (742 characters)

My first Imperial stout and....My God....This was a increadable beer....
03-04
Apprearance: Beautiful, deep brown almost black with a brown head.
Smell: Roasted malts, Chocolate
Taste: Alot of people have claimed this was one extremly bitter beer, and I have no idea where that comes from. Had some nice bite to it, but the roasted/chocolate taste stood out the most for me
Mouthfeel: Nice, thick body, almost velvety
Drinkability:If you haven't guessed it yet, I would kill for this beer. Can't wait to make a trip out to Croxley's and taste it on Tap. I am in love... (575 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured black as night with a small head that quickly dissolves. Very light carbonation but very nice. Smells of chocolate and nuts invade your nasal passages. Wonderful blend of sweetness (chocolate, coffee) and alcohol makes for a very smooth drink. I found it hard to enjoy b/c it was so good and I wanted to drink it too fast. Goes down easy and goes great with steak or hamburgers. For the price of a six pack, this could easily become a regular occurance for me. Just had another one today and oh my god! This is the stuff. Just a classic, complex, rockin' stout. This is definitely "top 5" in my book. If you see it, drink it. No questions asked, just do as I say... you won't regret it. (693 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A very nice girl brought this back to me from a trip to New York over Christmas and I'm just now entering my notes (stupid work). Pours an opaque black with a medium sized tan head. The head is persistent and has a smooth creamy look and is composed of many tiny bubbles. There is something about the contrast in color between the body of a "black" beer and the head which I really enjoy--and so this beer from the start looks good to me. Strong aroma of chocolate (of course) and roast coffee. Very nice taste of chocolate and coffee malts with some nice hop bitterness in the finish. Smooth and very drinkable, a very nice beer. (630 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Winter 02'-03' bottling

Pours an absolute jet black, with a small head that retains well throughout the beer. Smells of dark roast coffee, with a huge dose of heavy cream. Dark chocolate is also pickupable in the smell, as well as toffee. very rich scent...so well done, bravo Brookyln. The taste of this beer is absolutely orgasmic.

Taste of course runs hand in hand with smell, I'm getting an initial dark chocolate flavor, with a heavy cream coating....followed up by accents of toffee, hazelnut, roasted nuts, and dark coffee. In addition to this, a nice little jab of hops hits you at the end of all those flavors. The alcohol is hidden like mom's cookies, and this is crucial since the alcohol content is so high. Leaves you feeling warm and cozy. I can't praise the taste of this stout enough.

This beer comes highly recomended, from me that is.... (864 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz brown bottle. Brewed in Utica, NY.
It pours a roofing tar color with a big, but fast fading tan head.
A smoky sweet malt aroma has a strong smell of coffee and a good whiff of bitter chocolate.
An extra heavy and rich malt is home to tastes of dark chocolate, sweet coffee, doughy malt, black licorice and molasses.
High in a complex mix of hops, this brew has an edgy grapefruit bitterness and a hint of tea-like tartness. The alcohol, while not over-powering is certainly noticeable.
This is a high impact brew! (524 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +18.1%

02-03
WoW what a beer!
Like pouring the blackest night into your glass
the head is a creamy brown, doesn't last long but looks great.
The smell is strong and robust, alcohol and chocolate very apparent, I thought I could detect a hint of almond/marzipan which probably isn't there but it's the closest I can get to it.
Sweet and thick, this brew goes down easy, little to no acid or bitterness shows itself until you let the after taste manifest, the alcohol gives the stout a good kick making the beer have a strong presence about it. Good chocolate taste throughout.
Only regret I have about this beers drinkability is the high alcohol % which makes is hard to indulge without getting drunk off your ass

Oelergud - Cheers!

03-04

Been storing this bottle in the fridge for about 6 months.
Beautiful black brew with a chocolate head, doesn't stay long though and almost no lace. Impossible to determine level of carbonation as absolutely no light gets through this beer.
Smell is semisweet chocolate, strong spice, alcohol and earth.
Very apparent alcohol tones in the taste but overpowered by the rich chocolate flavors, swirling earth and dark roasted coffee beans.
Subtle hops underneath the malts struggling to be noticed
Thick and full body, almost syrupy, creamy and leaving a nice sweet coating on the tongue. Each swallow sends waves of warmth through your being. Strong robust and demanding attention and respect, this is still one hell of a beer.

-Oelergud

04-05, 11/12/04

Black tar goodness slowly oozing out of the bottle, beautiful effect on the edge of the beer as bubbles go up and down, tan creamy head decent retention and great lace leaving rings after each draw.
Strong roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate and alcohol makes up the nose. strong malts overwhelm the hops.
Taste is liquid dark chocolate with an alcoholic charge pinning the tongue to the ground. Rich and powerful maltiness and some faint hops dominate the aftertaste which is smooth and lasting quite long.
Mouthfeel is perfect stout thick, chewable indeed.
What can I say I havent said before, great brew, great stout, deliciousness in a bottle!

-Oelergud (2,177 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +8%

This was the first beer I had when I first visited NY in June 2001. I'm still drinking it, and I still joke that it impressed me enough to get me to move out here.

This beer has the expected dark chocolate color and a thin head the color of swiss milk chocolate that fades quickly, but leaves a chocolate ring on the glass. The taste is outstanding, the strength of the chocolate flavor is perfect, with a sharp hint of the 8.5% ABV underneath. Goes down smooth, with a bit of a coffee aftertaste (a bit too much, which detracts a little from the drinkability as you'll want a glass of water afterwards.) Ranks up there with the best IMO. (641 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Maybe my new favorite stout. I am actually rather surprised, while this feels like a stout in your mouht, it doesn't feel that way in your belly. this is highly drinkable, IMO.

Pours a dark, rich brown, very thick, very creamy, with a nice creamy, tan head. desert in a glass. Smells like roasted mocha (yeah, I know...) very nice.

It is appropoe that chocolate is the main taste in this bear. yeah there is malt, and some hops, but the chocolate definately shines through here, mixed with a spice, roasted malt flavor. Other people have mentioned this, and it is true, the chocoalte is overpowering, but it is still done in a nice way.

If you get the cahnce, get some for desert and serve with a nice creamy cherry pie...mmm (737 characters)

I picked up a couple for Easter while out of town. A real treat is was. It poured, much to my surprise almost flat, then toward the end of the pour a show of chocolate brown arose from the dark bottom to cascade to a nice, soft, full one inch head. The aroma of dark chocolate and roasted malts greet the nose. The taste follows the same route but with rich detail. This is a heavy player among beers but the mouthfeel, though sharp with dark chocolate, is pleased. Drinkability is good for the higher abv. Overall a good annual treat. I'll look forward to next years batch. (574 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -12%

This beer poured a deep dark black with a nice head. The head slowly diminished, leaving a nice lacing that remained for the duration. The aroma was filled with roasted malts and chocolate. The taste was true to the aroma as it was also a nice combination of dark roasted malts and a dark chocolate. The drawback here is that the chocolate taste is overwhelming and it takes away from any of the other flavors that are hidden in there. The mouthfeel was relatively thick and heavy but the drinkability was good. Overall, this would make an excellent desert beer but I couldn't see drinking a couple of these over the course of an evening. (638 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

I've been holding on to this one for a while now. Thanks to Fishbone for sending this one out.
I can't tell if its black or extremely dark brown, either way it looks delicious. Big thick creamy head the color of chocolate milk.
Aroma is pleasant but faint. Definate alcohol spices, roasted malt, and a sort of earthen smell. Maybe a bit of raisans as well.
Taste is very good. I expected more of a strong chocolate flavor. Instead its a very subdued unsweetened chocolate, hidden behind tons of roasted malt. A little bit of sweetness, almost with a dark fruit like quality. A small tinge of alcohol on the finish but it leaves a nice aftertaste.
It sure is going down quick. Real smooth and creamy, but I could only handle one of these babys at a time. (757 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Poors a deep black with a ruby highlight. Tha roated malt gives this a fantastic aroma . Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The chocolate and coffe flavor make this perfect for a dessert ar an accompaniment for a good Cohiba. The 02-03 bottle is quite high in A.B.V. and is evident but subdued by the rich flavor. Finishes with an almost capucinno flavor. Best enjoyed in a tulip glass with a good friend or sitting by the fire, Probably the finest Imperial I've ever had. (469 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery