Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

Black beer with nothing of translucency. Foam: brown, dense and persistent. Aroma: roasted malt, very smell of coffee, chocolate and alcohol. Creamy texture. Taste of coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Alcohol is properly inserted. Medium carbonation. Dry and bitter end.

GBalbin, Aug 20, 2010
3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured into a snifter on 1/4/10

Winter 2009-2010

Pours a very dark brown/burnt crimson; settles black. Almost two fingers of porous, light brown head. As it's riddled with pores, it quickly settles to 1/2 inch, leaving pretty good lacing. Swirling keeps alive thin retention throughout. Splotchy lace.

Smooth aromas of roasted dark malts. Chocolate is most notable. Undertones of dark fruits, especially raisins. A touch of booze on the peripheries. On the whole, the nose is more subtle than I'd expect.

Lots of dark, roasted malts offer a something of a sweet quality. This is offset by a large amount of dark chocolate that tends to be bitter. Mild hits of hops around the edges. Tastes pretty good, though not particularly complex.

Full bodied with smooth & creamy carbonation. Negligible alcohol heat coming through, if any. Hints of roasted chocolate linger.

As mentioned earlier, this isn't the most complex example of the style. It tastes pretty good & is ultimately enjoyable. For some reason, I imagined this beer would be more righteous. Maybe it needs a year or two.

Ryan011235, Aug 19, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Notes transcribed from 2007, re-tried again in 2010 to validate score. 12oz bottle both times.

This beer is in fact black, with a small brown head, but I wanted to see a little more chocolate.

Roasty coffee-ish aroma with a hint of chocolate.

Flavor is rather subtle for the style but very good, with roasted malt, coffee, and a little dark chocolate. Considerable alcohol presence, especially when fresh and/or cold.

Palate is decently full but I would like a little more. Fairly creamy on the mouthfeel.

Solid offering but not quite as complex as some of the other imperial stouts out there. It's a hell of a beer overall though and gains points for its subtletly and balance.

nickd717, Aug 18, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Bruery tulip. Poured black in color with a half inch, dense, tan head covering the top of the beer. The head settled down to a thin covering where it left some great lacing on the glass.

The aroma shows some very good chocolate flavors to it. It has both a roasty bitterness and a milk chocolaty flavor to it at the same time. Smooth and balanced aroma to it overall.

The taste has a lot of good dark, bitter-sweet chocolate flavor coming through. Some roasted, slightly burnt flavors come through more towards the finish. It has a sweetness to it though that really helps balance it out some. The chocolate is very nicely done, the bitterness and sweetness of it really comes together nicely.

The mouthfeel is on on the thicker side, but probably middle of the pack for imperial stouts. Carbonation is also moderate for the style. Drinkability is very good, it has some great flavors to it and was a very tasty beer for an after dinner drink tonight.

billab914, Aug 17, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Pours dark, but pretty straight, and easy out of the bottle with a thick, high head that lingers for quite some time before it disappears smoothly.

S: Dark, cacao rich chocolate, possibly the kind spiced with flake salt, some coffee. A discreet warming smell of alcohol shines through.

T: Creamy, thick, mocha chocolate, hints of raspberries and red currants. Not quite the obvious salty taste as I would expect, but it's there alright. Warmth of alcohol shines through but in a very pleasant way.
The mouthfeel is nice thanks to the minimal amount of carbonation and bubbles, another sip is very hard to resist.

Overall impression then? Well, given the price, which was a bargain at 19.90 SEK this is nothing short of a fantastic beer. Truly regret that I didn't buy more than one.

Sjokvistarn, Aug 16, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

A_Pours oily jet black with a dark brown head that dissipates into a thick, creamy ring.Thick spotty lacing.

S_Dark chocolate,espresso,dark fruit and alcohol.

T_Dark chocolate and roasted espresso dominate.Roasted barley as well. Dark fruits such as figs and prunes on the back end. Not as boozy as the smell but definitely a nice alcohol burn.

M_Thick and viscous. Coats the mouth.

D_Definite sipper but could easily enjoy a few of these.

nickadams2, Aug 15, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

(transcribed from an old rating now that this is in top 100)

12 oz bottle pours jet black with little mocha head.

chocolate, dark roasted oatmeal, molasses and hints of cherry on the nose.

Great deep dark roasted chocolate sweetness with a bitter mocha finish.

Very full bodied and silky mouthfeel.

This is an amazing brew that I look forward to every winter. On a cold night, I'm thankful this beer is there to comfort me.

ChrisPro, Aug 12, 2010
3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

07-08 bottle. Black pour with a 2 finger tan head that fades quickly to a thin ring. Chocolate and alcohol dominate the aroma with a healthy dose of roastiness and a noticeable amount of pine with a little bit of dark fruit and slightly vinous. Flavor is lots of bitter dark chocolate and coffee with lots of alcohol. A little more dark fruit and banana up front than the aroma with quite a lot of hop bitterness. Body is a bit thin for an imperial but fairly full. Loads of prickly carbonation break up the mouthfeel too. Just a bit too much alcohol coming out that seems to hide some otherwise great flavor and aroma. Some aging to mellow out the hotness would serve this beer well.

punkrkr27, Aug 11, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours black without being terribly thick with a nice mocha head and a bit of lacing. Smells quite sweet with loads of chocolate and some roasted malt. Hints of anise and molasses. Taste isn't quite as complex and full of depth as the nose, and adds a bit of alcohol, which doesn't take too much away from the mouthfeel given the style and abv. Very nice and drinkable, and much better with some age on it.

Thorpe429, Aug 10, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A Pours a dark black opaque. Creamy brown head that lasts until the beer is done. Lots of lacing along the sides of the glass.

S Lots of chocolate and coffee smell. Malty background notes.

T Strong tasting chocolate notes, coffee, as well as toffee and caramel malts.

M A very full bodied and creamy beer. Heavy on the tongue. Slight alcohol warming.

Overall impression of this beer is very good. A great beer to have on a cold winter night to warm you up and provide some time in thought. A very drinkable beer if you have the time to appreciate depth of flavor.

Jiggamyte, Aug 09, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a Winter '09-'10 bottle.

Inky black color with a finger-width dun head that lingers the whole way. Very limited lacing on the glass. You can smell the alcohol along with dark roasted coffee, but the taste is all coffee and chocolate. The medium carbonation helps with the head retention and makes for a real nice mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable stout but the alcohol does sneak up on you.

TexasTowHead, Aug 08, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Rich and dark with a 2 finger milk chocolate head. Loads and loads of chocolate in the nose. Has a very sweet and milky smell to it. Taste is quite rich and nutty. Not a lot of bitterness which is actually how I like my stouts. Has some fig/raisin notes. Mouthfeel is very thick and good drinkability with the alcohol very well hidden. Nice well rounded RIS.

generalnotsew, Aug 07, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Thanks to BeerMasterD for this brew!

A- Pours a solid jet black with a nice 1 finger light brown head that's insanely fluffy and leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

S- Sweet roasted nose with a great chocolate background that combines with an almost wood, vanilla notes and slight alcohol.

T- Dark roasted malts and barley with a great almost chalky bittersweet dark chocolate flavor in the background. Little alcohol sting in the finish that creates a decent fullness in the body.

M- Full bodied with lower carbonation and a decent bitter dryness in the finish.

Love this beer, it's so delicious and so well balanced. Brooklyn really knew what they were doing with this one.

SkÅL!

Arenbeer, Aug 05, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz into a snifter.

pours dark brown but looks black in the glass. forms a pinky of creamy brown head that calms to a thin film right away. spotty lacing here and there.

smells like pumpernickel, kinda musty, and with a bit of alcohol presence.

holy good g*d d*mn is this beer rich. it could almost pass for barrel aged if it weren't for the lack of bourbon/oak flavor. this brew starts off with a ton of roasted, almost burnt malt, then comes in with some tart, dark fruity notes. cherry maybe? bitter dark chocolate pops up then fades into a dry bittersweet finish. not as malt forward as i was expecting, and the alcohol is barely noticeable.

full bodied, kinda chewy and has a finer co2 profile. very slight alcohol warming going on.

very drinkable considering the 10%, but this will catch up to you quick. a must for any stout lover and certainly worth seeking out.

divineaudio, Aug 01, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Pours a deep dark color with a small mocha colored head that dissipates quickly.

Smell is of stale roasted malts and bitter chocolates.

Taste is of silky smooth chocolates and big roasted malts. Very good, it tastes almost like a chocolate chip cookie, I am a fan.

Mouthfeel is full and rich with medium to high carbonation, pretty good.

Good drinkability, it seems to be a little more so than a lot of the category as it's a little lighter in body.

pmccallum86, Jul 31, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Dark as cola, frothy caramel colored head.

S: Dark chocolate, black licorice, and booze. Slightly nutty. Slight cherry.

T: Huge hanging burnt chocolate malt. Big dark chocolate rush with a dark fruit twist. Dry licorice finish. Nice booze kick the whole way through, warming. Excellent.

M: Thick and creamy. Smooth.

O: Very drinkable stout. Great tasting, a perfect change of pace.

bundy462, Jul 30, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass (09-10 on the neck)

A: Black as night with 2 fingers worth of dark tan head.. Settles to a wonder layer with a ring.. Lacing is great.... Great looking beer.

S: Sweet, sweet.... Chocolate and lots of roasted malt with a touch of licorice.

T: Wow, tastes like it smells. Very sweet with a hint of hops and alcohol burn in the finish.... Everything magnifies as it warms.

M: FULL BODIED !! very thick feeling, with a prickly carbonation at first, but settles as if warms, also their is a alcoholic dryness in the finish.

D: OK at 10% ABV this is a 1 session beer, just sit back and enjoy this thing.

Very enjoyable brew.. Look for this one.

mralphabet, Jul 29, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Served in a Devil's Backbone willibecher.

Yet another example of an "old friend" beer that's somehow gone un-reviewed by me. Time to change that. To the max. It pours a straight jet black topped by over a finger of light tan foam. The nose comprises molasses, chocolate, brown sugar, roasted malts, and a hint of maple syrup. The taste is very similar, with the roasted malts taking center stage, followed by a strong chocolate powder contingent. The rest comes in in a nice dark melange in the finish. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a very smooth feel. Overall, this probably the most readily drinkable widely-available stouts around. Get some!

TMoney2591, Jul 28, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I received this as part of the Blind Beer BIF, it is a 03-04 vintage courtesy of Prufrock. Poured into Brandy Snifter

Vision
I've never had a problem creating head before but this one pours without a single bubble appearing on the surface. My jaw drops as I think this is a beer with no carbonation, but giving it two seconds a rush of half a finger of foam rushes to my rescue. The color of this head is not the crisp wedding dress that was the last two beers but milk chocolate and coffee mixing together ( Mocha, yes? ). It quickly loses itself to the atmosphere that is my apartment and leaves not even a skin behind. As I pick the glass up, the disturbance generates that ring of mocha on the perimeter to define just where the glass is. I wish I could tell if bubbles are flowing up within the murky depths of this beverage, but it is jet black... oil slick black.

Bouquet
The smell is amazing. Its reminiscent of many other stouts and screams aging in some type of way. My tasting partner says whiskey, I say bourbon barrels. Its so sweet that its almost nauseating but it stops right before it goes over the line. Earthy undertones may balance this from causing me to find it over attenuated. Bitter chocolates perform the careful waltz that is an imperial stout with charred grains. I thought in the beginning I caught vanilla, but alas it was a fleeting dream as I can't find it anywhere again.

Flavor Profile
I realize I am a goofy taster after I told my tasting partner to mimic me today. First, I took a sip and let it rush past my tongue and into my belly. Pow! Burnt grains and a smokiness that is MILES above what I was expecting.

With that in mind, the simple sip and wash down over the tongue leaves me convulsing in joy at how great this is. I find this to be my favorite smoky texture of any beer thus far in my admittedly small tasting experience. Now, the next taste I do is to take a decent sip and perform a figure eight with my tongue. Allowing this beer to linger in a rave like atmosphere of my mouth brought out two distinct flavors. The first was what I imagine burnt grains taste like. Its not the smoky nature of before, but possibly what happens when the smoky flavor particles saturate their respective receptors and move on to different pastures. Its a creamy brother to burnt grains. As the liquid bends around my mouth milk chocolate jumps inwards from my cheeks and glomps my tongue. It surprises me and causes me to literally exclaim "Mmmm!"

The finish of this beer is driven by the haze of smog roaming in the body. It finds its way into my oral membranes and hides from all degradation. It performs the buddy system of yesteryear with chocolate, however. At first you can revel in that fantastic smokiness, but as it is peeled away to move onward chocolate peeks its head out. It is very small and only momentary before the pair is whip lashed away leaving me with a quick stab of bitterness. As that bitterness, I can only believe it to be the alcohol doing a second walk through, fades I find myself dying for another sip to relive these flavors. It is a vicious cycle of undeniable joy followed by endless longing.

Oral Sensations
I find this beer to be a conundrum. If I'm not careful, I can lick my lips and find the lingering flavors of it without even noticing it sticking to my lips. When I sip it and let my tongue explore its hidden natures, I find it to be slightly under what I want for its body. I want it to be thicker, almost more syrupy. I imagine that with this body it can't possibly display the coating capabilities that it does. It is impossible for it to hang around as it does. It is impossible for it to leave a residue on my lips. It is impossible for it to give resistance to my efforts. And yet.. it does. It could be a touch heavier, but maybe it doesn't even need to be and I'm just searching for some error here. I noticed an interesting shock, literal one, this beer gave me. When I pressed some of the fluid to the soft palate of my mouth I felt the stab of alcohol to make me jump as if it scared me. Of course, it is gone and impossible to replicate exactly, but sometimes I find the alcohol in the most interesting of ways. There is no carbonation, no fizzy nature, no bubbles to speak of when drinking this unless I swish it around vigorously. Even than, that probably isn't carbonation but my own air bubble generation.

Conclusions
Hot damn! This beer was the most fun I've had with this hobby as to date. It is delicious, it is intriguing, and it is not overpowering. I would drink this again in a heartbeat. Hell, I'm probably going to go looking for more of this if I can.

It has that pleasant generation of a 'stomach furnace' as I like to put it. Even the faults I can find are probably strengths to others. I almost want to proclaim this beer my favorite beer. I thought this was bourbon aged, but I can't find enough of it for it to be anything recently aged.

Khazadum, Jul 26, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: I poured out this blackest-of-the-black liquid into my Duvel glass, capped off by a creamy, thick, tan head, that provided lacing the whole time I was drinking this, which I nursed for a good amount of time. No light can shine through this beer at all; opaque as can be!

Smell:A very aromatic beer, with french roasted coffee beans, dark chocolate, and a hint of yeast esters and heat. One of the best smelling foods on earth

Taste:A flavorful stout, pretzel upfront and full of roast - coffee and malt - and baker's chocolate. Complex earth notes, that warms up to sweeter tones of dried fruit, esters and heat. Full flavored and rich.

Mouthfeel:A heavy bodied brew, with creaminess from the head and a smooth milk body.

Drinkability/Palitability:Medium - it is a beer that goes down well as a nightcap. Not something session-able, but the one bottle is easy to consume.

Notes: This is an exemplary example of an Imperial Stout. A great dessert beer paired with chocolate. I got back into Brooklyn Brewery's offerings as I am reading Garret Oliver's book "The Brewmaster's Table". Oliver is the brewmaster of Brooklyn Brewery.

halo21, Jul 24, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Into a snifter, it poured black with a finger of brown head that retained fairly well, and laced well too. Big big bittersweet chocolate nose, with cocoa powder, coffee, earthiness, and anise as well. The flavor was like someone chilled a melted Hershey's Dark bar; huge dark chocolate flavor, progressing to a semi-dry cocoa powder/coffee finish. Combining this with the thick velvet smooth body yielded the ultimate dessert drink experience. I only wish I had some creamy dessert to pair it with. An excellent example of the style.

donniecuffs, Jul 23, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

On tap at the B

A - Black body with a tan head

S - Chocolate and roasted malt

T - Milk chocolate and some hop bitterness

M - Alcohol is well hidden with the sweetness. Very smooth but slightly on the thin side

D - Low carbonation and thin mouthfeel makes this one pretty easy to drink

DNICE555, Jul 21, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottled 09-10 winter. Good stuff, very impressed.

Pours a dark brownish black, with a finger of mocha white head that fades quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Smell is very light, alcohol and chocolate. Expected of this style.

Taste is where this thing is awesome. Chocolate and caramel sweetness. Alcohol burn is there, but absolutely necessary. Roastiness is kept in check by the malty sweetness. Very balanced between bitter chocolate and caramel sweetness.

Mouthfeel is oily and heavy. Light carbonation as per the style.

Drinkability is very high. At 10% it'd be tough but a 4 pack is not unthinkable in this situation.

A great beer overall.

bs870621345, Jul 18, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Fall 2009 bottling. Hoping this has lost a little of its heat.

A: Deep dark brown, with a decent tan head that forms a nice collar and is easy to revive.

S: Hefty dose of semi-sweet chocolate malt and black licorice. Also smells slightly earthy with a touch of roasted malt and some ethanol.

T: Dark chocolate brownie, with licorice and a light earthiness. Moderate sweetness balanced by roasted malt so that it's neither charred nor syrupy. Finish is long and slightly bitter.

M: Medium to thick body with good thickness and fairly high carbonation. Slight alcohol burn.

Has lost a little of its alcohol bite from this winter, along with a little chocolate. This is still a little on the hot side for a 10% beer, but it's an awesome RIS for the price and one of a handful of beers that I'll buy a case of each year.

GeezLynn, Jul 17, 2010

Poured from a bottle into a a tulip glass at a local pub.

A - Pours an opaque black colour, with a thin layer of head which exhibited little retention and left no lacing.

S - Scents were largely chocolate malts, espresso beans, marshmallows, some molasses and definitely an alcohol scent.

T - The taste was much like the scent with chocolate and coffee, but also revealed some nuttiness, roasted almonds and burnt wood. The alcohol was noticeable on the finish as well.

M - Pretty smooth with light carbonation. Felt nice on the tongue and wasn't overly thick, which was nice.

D - Overall, pretty tasty. I couldn't take down more than one of these at a time, but definitely worth a try. I've had some more flavourful stouts, which were more drinkable, but I'm inclined to think that it's largely the noticeable alcohol that acts as a bit of a turnoff for me.

andrenaline, Jul 08, 2010