Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
abar22

Alabama

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

Short on-tap review on the BlackBerry

A - What would you would expect from an RIS; black body, frothy tan head, and solid lacing.

S - Very fragrant. Chocolate and hops are dominant.

T - Malty at first then a burst of hops. Roasted malts and chocolate in the semi dry finish.

M - Mild carbonation. A bit thin...

D - Falls in line with other RISs. Slightly thinner body may help out the drinkability.

10-22-2009 22:59:18 | More by abar22
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

09-10 Bottling
The beer poured a pitch black, with a medium amount of tan head. Some lacing noted.
The aroma is bitter chocolate and cocoa notes, roasted malt, and an alcohol heat.
Taste is bitter roast and boozy heat, with some chocolate mingled in, and a malt sweetness finished with more of the same boozy warmth. The mouthfeel is full and creamy.
The drinkability suffers on BCS due to the hot alcohol. I'm going to sit on the rest of this 4 pack and try it throughout the year.

10-22-2009 03:23:44 | More by KrisPaulk77
philipquarles

Connecticut

3.08/5  rDev -25.8%

12oz bottle from '09. Pours opaque black with a medium beige head. Some lacing. Smells of sweet chocolaty malts and a bit of molasses. Slightly boozy. Sweet malt again in the taste, with a pleasant dark roasted character. A bit of chocolate and brown sugar. Sweet throughout, with some fairly strong hop bitterness at the finish. A bit of alcohol and a definite warming sensation. Medium-full body with fairly strong carbonation. This one seems a bit disjointed overall; it hits you over the head with a lot of varied, strong flavors that I wish melded better. Seems like it might be a good candidate for aging.

10-21-2009 04:12:20 | More by philipquarles
mbudner

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

'09-'10 release. Poured from bottle into a stemless red wine glass.

A- Very little head, which dissipated almost immediately. Deep black, completely opaque with a tan head.

S- The aroma is dominated by a deep, roasted, bitter chocolate. I'm definitely picking up some of the heat of the booziness in my nostrils, but nothing alarming or unnatural from an RIS. As it warms, I'm getting a sweeter smell, which I still associate with the chocolate.

T- The very first taste I notice is bitter and/or burnt flavor. The booze is much hotter than I remember from previous years or than the aroma would have you believe. The malts taste of roasted bitterness and the chocolate character becomes much more apparent the brew warms and the alcohol becomes less apparent.

M- I must begin by admitting that I have trouble not getting hung up on the mouthfeel of an RIS. I love the attribute often described as being "chewy" and this stout does not fit the bill. This beer a little thin for my preference for an RIS and slightly too "prickly" or effervescent in its carbonation. Just having a little trouble getting past the lack of body.

D- Not very high, unfortunately. Bear in mind that this is in large part due to the how new the beer is. I have had it several months old in years past and have not found the "hotness" to be as big of an issue with a few months under the belt of this beer.

10-20-2009 02:26:27 | More by mbudner
DeathbySexyBT

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A: What's that cold and alone feeling? Oh yeah that just happened, this beer just ate a piece of your soul.

S: You may feel slightly comforted by the chocolate aroma, but the smokey roasted grain notes behind that serve as an instant reminder that you are going to hell now.

T: Does this thought make you drowsy? Maybe a little overwhelmed by the notion of eternal damnation? Well try and not cry in your stout. You have already lost your soul. The least you could do would be to enjoy the burnt cocoa nibs and coffee flavors. Don't worry, the unholy bitterness will not mislead you into thinking that there is some escape from your fate.

M: Speechless, I see. A brew this smooth is not allowed in heaven. No no, but there is plenty of this where you are going.

D: Not that you will be able to imbibe too much of this, as I see the roughly 11% ABV is catching up with you. This is a doozy of a brew. Take your time. After all, that is all you have left.

10-19-2009 16:50:32 | More by DeathbySexyBT
hosehead83

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle('08-'09 brewing, I have cellared this bottle for about a year) into a standard pint glass
Pitch-black pour, purple around the edges, with a half-inch, oatmeal-like head of foam
Aroma- Espresso, dark chocolate liquor
Taste-Black coffee and baker's chocolate-bone dry finish-smoothe for the strength, with sherry notes upon warming, and definite warming alchohol in the finish.
An excellent, complex brew.

10-19-2009 13:26:50 | More by hosehead83
projectflam86

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Deep black color with a rocky russet colored head that leaves lots of lace.

S- Deep dark malt and chocolate aromas dominate the nose. Alcohol is also fairly prominent.

T- Full roasted flavor with tons of dark chocolate and cocoa nibs. A bit of burnt malt and molasses with some black licorice and roasted coffee beans. A slight sting of alcohol in the finish.

M- Full bodied with ok carbonation. A bit hot from the alcohol.

D- Easily one of my favorite Brooklyn beers so far. The alcohol was a bit strong but I know that this is a very fresh batch. I expect the alcohol to die down a bit with some age.

10-19-2009 02:38:49 | More by projectflam86
BenZ

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Just picked up my '09-'10 (ony 3/4 of a 4-pack left at the store) and am reviewing my '08-'09.

Some beers just change with age, BBCS is better in pretty much every respect with one year on it. The sweetness, bitterness, alcohol, and roastyness are just about in perfect balance.

Judging by the change from a year ago, I don't think this is one of those RISs good for 10 years. I'm guessing it will still be damn good for another year or so, and then it will start going down hill.

There is a slight possibility that the dark fruits I am picking up that were totally not there a year ago will get a lot stronger. If that turns out to be the case, then in 2 more years we could have something magical on our hands - I kind of doubt it, though.

All-in-all, I will be picking up some of this every year from now on. It's great, but not ground breaking.

10-18-2009 22:02:02 | More by BenZ
Overlord

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours titanically black, with a dark, three finger foam head. Wow. Really nice looking.

Smells ... like chocolate! Also a bit of roasted malt, and a whiff of alcohol.

Taste is predominantly ... chocolate! Surprisingly, it's more of an acrid, bittersweet chocolate than a milk/sweet chocolate. The roasted malt also comes in to balance the sweetness with a nice bitter backing. Touch of alcohol and ... fruit? ... with alcohol in the backing.

Quite drinkable, decently thick and nicely creamy.

10-17-2009 08:19:57 | More by Overlord
babaracas

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours pitch black with two finger light brown head, leaves a thin ring and a sheet of lace. Smell: lots of dark and bitter chocolate over a little roastiness, light notes of prune and booze. Taste: bitter, dark chocolate, roasted and more roasted, overripe dark fruit, finishes with a touch of spicy hops and drying bitter chocolate + roasty coffee. A nice ris with heavy emphasis on the chocolate, and still at a decent price.

10-17-2009 05:54:59 | More by babaracas
Mistofminn

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

I got this in two seperate trades. I got a couple 4 packs of the 09-10 from BA chcfan, thanks Chris! I also got a single 08-09 bottle from BA Beerlando, thanks Bryan!

09-10 version poured into a tulip.

Pours a deep black color, completely absorbing all light cast into it. Thick brown sugar colored head is produced after an aggressive pour. Initially, I poured this one carfully and I didn't get any head, so I tried again a little less careful. Great retention and excellent lacing, covering the entire glass.

The nose on this one is excellent. Roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate (and yes I know it's not brewed with real chocolate), dark fruits, and even a bit of roasted coffee beans. Excellent smelling RIS.

Taste is similar to the nose. I get a nice roasted barley character - although it's much more mellow in the taste, I also get the bitter bakers chocolate and roasted coffee. The dried dark fruits come out a little bit more in the taste, which surprised me, but I find it very tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium to heavy, with a very smooth and creamy finish. Excellent stuff. Drinkability is amazing. The 10% is hidden expertly. I could drink this all night.

Overall, a very solid RIS. Excellent drinkability and a boat load of flavor and substance. So glad I traded for more than a 4 pack of this. Thanks Bryan and Chris!

10-16-2009 03:02:30 | More by Mistofminn

Style: Russian Imperial Stout
ABV: 10.60 %

reviewed ~7/2009 during BCBCS homebrew day w/ JH
bottle>mug

Appearance is dark black, pours like motor oil, tan head as expected with good lace & retention. Smells of dark cocoa, coffee and fruits. Taste as it smells with warming complexities. Mouthfeel is low-medium carbonation with a full as it gets body.

I had to score a 4.0 on drinkability as it's tough to have more than one of these with the full body and high abv. It's a sipper for sure, but I enjoy every sip. Take it slow... savor... it's only here once a year....

10-15-2009 21:27:16 | More by unclejimbay
GregSVT

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz bottle from the 09-10 release poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a dark black with no light shining through and a small dark tan head that fades to a small ring and leaves no real lacing. Typical of most RIS

S: Aromas of Chocolate and dark roasted/burnt malt, maybe a tiny bit of hops or it could be the bitterness from the burnt malt.

T: Taste is amazing. A deep dark chocolate taste envelopes your tounge as a sweet dark ripe fruit flavor takes over and a slight bitterness on the finish.

M: One of the best I've had from a RIS. Thick and syrupy yet carbonated very well for a drying finish.

D: I would have this again and again if it wasn't 10% but I could see it getting old after 1 or 2 bottles.

A must try if you can find it. This is the first year it's been released in TX and I plan to cellar the rest I have and try them after year or 2.

10-14-2009 01:22:38 | More by GregSVT
whoneeds8

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured out into a New Belgium Chalice dark black with a thin tan head. Minimal lacing. I'd like seeing a bigger head out of this. I'm going to have to skip the smell because it's allergy season, but what I can smell is a hint of alcohol. That alcohol is very apparent in the mouthfeel. The taste of roasted cocoa comes out in the flavor rather quickly. It's very smooth if you can get over the alcohol burn on the tounge, which I don't mind. No strong spices are evident. Not too dry of a mouthfeel either.

10-13-2009 22:47:41 | More by whoneeds8
zoso493

Picked up one from Peckham's in Edinburgh. From the 08-09 winter bottling. Not sure how well it survived the journey over here.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black with a small brown head that doesn't stay around.

Smell: Smells overwhelmingly of chocolate and alcohol with a very sweet quality.

Taste: As the name would imply, chocolate is the predominant taste. Also, some sweet malts and caramel, with a slight hop bitterness towards. Also has the warming effect of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick but with a slight lack of carbonation. Probably would be better back home.

Drinkability: Honestly, this isn't too bad considering it's in the double digits in % ABV. You could definitely drink a couple.

Overall, this was pretty good and I hope I get the chance to taste one back in the US to compare

10-13-2009 18:57:54 | More by zoso493
jsh420

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

2008 bottle

pours almost jet black with a 1/4" tan head that leaves spotted lacing

smells of dark roasted malts and chocolate

taste is bitter chocolate dark roasted malts and some dark fruit

mouthfeel - heavy body with good amount of carbonation that gives it life but still has a nice creamy smooth finish

drinkability is good and though it is 10%abv i could drink a few every night in the winter

10-13-2009 01:30:31 | More by jsh420
Casey10

Maine

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

This was a Winter 06-07 version I found on the shelf of a store nearby. Thought it might be this years didn't realize what date this was till I got it home and figured out it was printed on the top (doh). Well tried it anyway and was very impressed.

A - pours dark with little carbonation small tan head floating at the top.

S - chocolate dominates exspecially as it warms up.

T - unbelievable yummy wasn't sure if a store shelved beer would be any good. Delicious gets even better warmed up.

M - Leaves a slight afterfeel alcohol burn is not really present not sure if time has melllowed this one out but is good.

D - Definately will search this fresh but will say that even with some time on it I could definately have another.

10-12-2009 18:19:22 | More by Casey10
NorCalYeti

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

taste- chocolate, mild spice and fruit

color- black

clarity- opaque

smell- chocolate, malt, toast, fruit

body- medium weight, late, soft finish

appearance- dark, no head

overall impression- would have had it sooner

notes- would have consumed the beer six months ago, probably lost some of its body. this review is for a 2002 vintage tasted in 2004

10-12-2009 05:02:41 | More by NorCalYeti
samie85

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

A- Pours an opaque jet black with a cratery, dark khaki head. Leaves decent lacing.

S- I get roasted malt, cocoa, a sweet alcohol aroma and some vanilla.

T- Rich, dark chocolate with roasted coffee upfront and then finishes with a slight bitterness and alcohol.

M- Not thick per se, but definitely smooth. I find some RIS's to be a little thin, but this beer avoids that by having just the right amount of carbonation. Finishes with a slight alcohol warmth in the throat.

D- This is not the same beer I had a year ago on tap. I think it might have been dirty lines or something. This is phenomenal compared to what I remember. Really smooth, and well hidden alcohol for a RIS. This would be a nice beer to keep on hand during the winter months.

10-12-2009 04:45:01 | More by samie85
Beejay

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Black. Very very very black. A nice bit of very soft looking tan head.

S: Sweet.. chocolate, maybe a hint of bourbon.. Roasted malt, but mainly delicious chocolate.

T: Roasty.. malty.. a real strong hint of chocolate. That is amazing.

M: Not a whole lot of carbonation, but I think that is good for the style.. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel that is luscious.

D: A good solid RIS. Wonderful, and the alcohol is well hidden.

10-12-2009 04:27:30 | More by Beejay
theghost3

Louisiana

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Winter 09-10 version

Pours an almost black dark brown with some ruby highlights, not real thick. The head is the darker side of beige. Lots of lacing.

Smell is mainly dark chocolate, roasty malts, yeast & some dark fruits. The taste is dark chocolately, but there's also some roasty qualities along with licorice, dark fruits & a hint of yeast. Mouthfeel is crisp at first but overall, it's smooth. Again, not as thick as I expected.

This is a drinkable, impressibe stout that covers the 10 percent ABV well.

10-11-2009 03:52:57 | More by theghost3
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

355ml bottle poured into pint glass oct10 2009

A pours black with a mocha head that has good retention and leaves decent lace after it falls to a 1/4in film.

S dark malt and coffee with some chocolate

T more espresso and I taste a little booze but not the 10% I see printed on the bottle. the chocolate is very dark and hard to miss, well done overall

M you may not need a knife and fork but it's no slouch in the thickness department

D yikes!! I could see this beer causing me problems if I had more of it too drink, it's so smooth I can't see how anyone could not like this beer

this is one of those beers you need try

10-11-2009 03:44:50 | More by wordemupg
MrStark

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter glass.

Appearance is true to the name. An opaque black with a light brown one finger head. Thins into a small cap.

Smell is mostly roasted malts. Perhaps a little bit of coffee. Nothing too prominent. The aroma of the alcohol is there in a small amount.

Taste is mostly what I've come to expect from these imperial stouts. Bitter dark chocolate with a hint of roasted coffee. There's is a nice smokey quality and surprisingly the taste of the 10% alcohol is not that present. Just a little on the back end.

Mouthfeel is fairly heavy. Not as thick and syrupy like others I've had. Pretty creamy with a tiny bit of carbonation.

Drinkability is quite nice. Not as strong as other imperial stouts I've had so I could see maybe having two of these at a time. But it is definitely something you sip and savor for a while. A very nice example of this style.

10-10-2009 23:48:59 | More by MrStark
khumbard

Indiana

3.9/5  rDev -6%

2009 Bottle into Duvel tulip

A - Pours dark black, small cream colored head, looks pretty darn good

S - Interesting... at first I couldn't pick out what exactly most prominent, but after a few tries it's licorice. It is alright, but isn't really what I'm looking for. Some chocolate and roasted malts behind the licorice smell. Decent.

T - Taste is good. Reasonably complex and well balanced. Still tasting licorice, maybe from the smell. Starts of a little sweet, and has a good sligthly bitter finish.

M - Good mouthfeel. Some mouth coating, but not as much as some of the other high end big stouts. I would say this is a little on the light side, but thats only comparing it to other big stouts. I've definitely had worse.

D - Definitely good for a 10% stout. I could have another. Probably not more than a couple, but the abv is pretty well hidden, and it is pretty tasty.

For the price that I paid ($1.99 for a single), this is a great stout, and I would recommend trying it if you get a chance.

10-10-2009 22:31:42 | More by khumbard
erz316

Indiana

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

bottle into guinness tulip pint glass. nice bottle, very sexy.

A - a good pour, beer seems decently thick, or so it seems. two finger medium dark tan head, with a very appealing rocky texture across. not as creamy as it could be. the head leaves great sticky lace all over the glass. the body is pitch black no light getting through the center. but even when not held up at the light, one can see that the beer is a dark cola colour at the bottom. head lasts a good amount of time.

S - nose is mostly dark roasted malt and yeast. surprisingly close to guinness, though this beer is ice cold, so the nose might take a hit. yeah not really much beside the roasted malt notes. I can get a bit of yeast and coffee but not much else.

T - good ris for such a good price, sometimes those whom one thinks are mediocre really come out and impress sometime (what the hell am I writing? Der Alte ist so high dude!). the initial taste is a definite yeasty buzz feeling along with this delicate chocolate bitter and coffee roatstiness. birkinau. oh man, im gone. at times there is a distinct sweetness like that dark chocolate: reluctant to be sweet, and what the fuck is jason bourne doing? god, just let me get on with this review. the aftertaste is malty and a bit of choco. its a good beer, but having had some of the best, I am not convinced it deserves the half mark further.

MF&D - it looked good, tasted alright, went down quite well. a good bargain for a decent russian beer.

10-10-2009 04:15:58 | More by erz316