Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours deep brown, black really, with a creamy tan head. Reduces to a ring, slight lace.

Deep charred malt and coffee and bitter chocolate aromas.

A real deep complex brew here. Coffee, bitter chocolate, and a kick off booze. Thick, rich, complex, and delicious. Easy to drink, even though this one packs a wallop. Haven't had this one in 10 years. Glad I revisited.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Thick, dark cream foam that is very resilient and never totally goes away. The liquid is black as sin and totally opaque. Resembles black tar.

S: Has the buttery, toffee smell that I get when grinding roasted coffee beans. Has a hint of cocoa butter too. Just smells rich.

T: Rich, chocolate, coffee, toffee, and nuts. Sweet upfront with just a hint of bitterness at the end.

M: Creamy, rich, really thick, but smooth.

D: Whoa! This is certainly a sipper. Far too rich and thick to take a gulp. Actually, it's tough for me to finish a 12 oz bottle because it's just so rich. Much better than I expected, though. I would rather drink this in a half dose. It's like a really rich chocolate cake that tastes great, but you only want a small piece at a time. I can see it being better on a frigid winter night

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle poured into my duvel tulip.
A- huge head from a hard but steady pour, four fingers of coffee colored dense foam slowly fading to a very thick half inch cap. Lots of lace. Black black black, not a bit of light is getting passed this black hole. Nice legs.
S- very big nose gobs of heat and sweet. 86 percent dark chocolate and lots of blackberry and roast. Tootsie rolls come to mind.
T- chocolate liquor and sweet dark bread. Brandy soaked ripe berries. Some molasses and burt coffee. A nice nutty hint and a wisp of hops at the end. Very hot to start but calms down a bit with warming it kinda works for me thought
M- thick and viscous, syrupy and chewy but there is a nice fizzy carb that lightens it up and help keep it moving. Thins out a bit as it warms. Finishes with a smooth linger.
D- its hot to be sure but with some time on it the heat mellows out and becomes great. Green as this bottle I can't really see my self cracking another tonight. I've had far more drinkable big stouts in this abv range.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

A: 2 finger dark brown head on a black body. Very nice, just nothing outstanding and didn't have the greatest texture/lacing/dexterity

S: Dry dark chocolate dominates, like sticking your nose in a bag of dark chocolate chips. There is a roasted grain aroma as well, but that's an afterthought.

T: Pretty basic chocolate semi-dry. Not very roasty, no coffee. It just lacked complexity, and I get a bit of an odd flavor that I can't identify but it's distracting.

M: Light and smooth, this reminds me of Guinness.

D: Very good, but not so much that I would seek it out just for the drinkability.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Found this one at the 'Butcher' restaurant/deli/meat market in New Orleans, they served it ice cold with a frosted whiskey sipping glass, which was unusual. I like the small glass for the beer, but frosted was strange. Fortunately I had to wait for the food so I let the beer warm up some and the glass defrost before drinking.

It pours a dark brown, almost black color with a small tan head... nothing special, but I know this isn't really the optimal glass for the beer. I think in a pint glass where the head could develop during a full pour this would be a better looking beer.

The smell is bitter chocolate, delicious. The taste is more of the same... it's still a little colder than it should be but I can taste the bitterness of the chocolate with hints of spice and a slight sting of alcohol. Definitely a good one.

As for drinkability, would I order another one? I didn't this time, but in the future, absolutely I'd go for another one of these.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Nice roasted malt-chocolate RIS, which out of the blue on an unexpected tap serving felt rather mighty.

Presentation: 16 oz draft serving. All that the table attendant was able to articulate was "Chocolate Stout" and added "Brooklyn" after asking if that was the brewery. Served into a pint shaker glass.

A - Black body, small dark brown-ruby edges with a small brown frothy head. Average retention with rich touches of lacing. I personally do not like pint-shaker glasses, and if at all possible I try to avoid them. But this is the best looking brew I have seen in one of these in a long while (Two-Hearted ale notwithstanding.)

S - Chocolate notes over roasted aroma and a touch of coffee, boozy hint.

T - Rich roasted flavor with chocolate highlights and a bitter finish capped by the alcoholic note.

M - Full body, creamy and thick feel with small but adequate carbonation.

D - A nice RIS, rich in character and a great sipper. A bit excessive on a pint glass and yet there was a second one coming.

Notes: Rich and reliable, a nice stout and a solid offering from Brooklyn, and quite a surprise on tap being rather rich and remarkable.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Appearance - Black colour, Thick Brown Head, no visible carbonation

Smell - Heavy malts, Chocolate

Taste - Chocolaty, smokey/roasted, Alcohol taste, thick beer

The only part that I really didn't like was the alcohol bite to it. If the alcohol taste would've been covered up more then it would be almost perfect.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

12 ounce poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours black with a tan head that settled to a ring around and some wisp. Just a tad of lacing.

S - Strong smell. Chocolate, roasted malts.

T - Dark Fruits, bitter chocolate, hops, wound up with a medium bitter finish.

M - Medium to thin feel, fine carbonation bubbles. Smooth.

D - Goes down pretty easy.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

This black liquid absorbs light like black hole and leaves absolutely no head. There's nothing more than fragments of a lacing left on top. What a character!

The smell is very distingt. It filled the room right away. Except from the obvious chocolate there's some dark fruits, some coffee, honey and a very vague hint of orange.

I taste chocolate and figs up front, maybe some raisins as well. Then there's some alcohol, coffee and a dry tone of cocoa beans.

The mouthfeel is oily and dry with low carbonation and a bitter after taste. Calmness is a word that comes to mind.

This beer is quite filling and I can't see myself drinking another one tonight. But that's not a bad thing in my opinion, it only makes you drink it at a lower pace and abra-kadabra, this great beer lasts longer.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

I get this one from cousin in New York.

Black beer like it say on bottle. Smell like chocolate. Taste like good Belgian chocolate and not much like alcohol just like bottle say. I like this very much but big alcohol. Only had two this day. I want cousin to send me more Black Chocolate Stout.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Enjoyed on St. Patrick's Day - even if i don't like Irish beer, I at least went for a stout. Poured in a Fuller's pint glass.

Pours a deep, dark chocolate brown, nearly black, and entirely opaque. Head is as brown as I've ever seen and is over an inch. Lacing stays strong to the last drop. Nose is entirely roasted coffee - not really diverse, this could be anything if not a beer.

Taste is much like the nose, heavily coffee, toasted malt, exceedingly dry. Not a hint of chocolate, but a nice heavy full body, roasted. Mouthfeel is smooth and full, very dry and defintely with an alcohol bite. Nice and drinkable, but definitely needs to be paired with food.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a wine glass. I have had the bottle for a couple months. I thought it would keep well at 55 degrees, but it did not. I hope to try it again and re-review someday.

A - Dark brown, near black in color, and opaque, even when held to the light. Dark beige head disappears quickly, leaving a slight ring of foam. No lacing.

S - The smell is on the maltier side. Roasted malt, licorice, and chocolate. It grows more malty as it warms. There is also a strong vegemite/marmite smell that doesn't go away, presumably from the yeast. I didn't smell any hops.

T - Also malty, but with the hops coming through more in the flavor. Roasted malt and roasted coffee. Lemony, citrus hops emerge in the finish. There is a slightly sour aftertaste. Some sips had a slight cola taste.

M - Medium-bodied with light to medium carbonation. There is little residual feel, which I expect from an RIS.

D - Don't notice the alcohol for 10% ABV. I have loved this beer in the past, but the one I chose to review appears to have gone off.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured into a pint glass (I really need to get more of a variety of glass wear and stop breaking my tulips).

A - Just like the label says Black with some nice foam on top and some

S - Some chocolately note with roasted malts and coffee, not as strong smelling as I was expecting.

T - Decent combination of chocolate malts, burnt sugar, some coffee, and maybe just a bit of hops, but it masks the abv very nicely and goes down very smoothly.

M - Medium bodied, smooth and creamy. Coats the mouth like molasses or syrup would.

D - It hides the alcohol great but overall this is a pretty middle of the road RIS in my opinion. It is pretty inexpensive and if you haven't had it it is worth a shot.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

At my local bar, this has been on-tap all winter, much to my delight.

A- Very dark, but not as opaque like some stouts that I've had in the past. When held to light it still shines through. The head is not pronounced and dissapates almost completely in about 10-15 mins.

S- Very strong and robust. You can smell a bit of the chocolate, along with a bit of the alcohol, though it is more masked by the other flavorings.

T- Primarily chocolate. Very dark chocolate, with an intensity that really masks the alcoholic content surprisingly, which makes this beer very unique. Smooth on the way down, but still can taste the alcoholic content.

M- High carbonation but smooth. Not as abrasive as other stouts.

D- Sip. Really only sip, though the smoothness is tempting for the imbiber to indulge too fast. May want to wait a bit before reaching for another.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from bottle into 8oz glass.

A - Poured non-transparent black color with medium tan head that slowly dissipated leaving lots of lacing around the glass.

S - Very complex, roasted malts, chocolate, toffee, caramel and a hint of coffee.

T - Very complex just like smell. Malts upfront followed by coffee and dark chocolate bitterness with slightly nutty aftertaste.

M - Full bodied with high carbonation.

D - Easy going and abv is well masked but very filling. Definitely a sipper.

The weather's getting a little warmer, but still I thought this would be a good choice for mid-March. Starting to become intrigued by the stout style in general, and particularly self-proclaimed "chocolate" varieties. Poured from a 12-ounce bottle (labeled: Bottling-Winter 09-10) into a snifter.

Appearance: Pours a very dark [opaque] brown with one-finger mocha head. Retention is limited to a few small bubbles around the edge. This is a certainly a pretty beer to look at, as it is a lovely color.

Smell: Fairly strong aroma overall. Not much chocolate in the nose, but I'm anticipating that to be more of a property of taste. An earthy woodiness

Taste: Medium-bodied. Rather lengthy taste profile that begins with an earthy, woody bitterness. Gives way to a malty, roasted taste of creamy mocha coffee and finally finishes with a strong milk chocolate after-effect. All the while, a subdued hop quality is noticeable, too. Only as the beer warms slightly can I begin to taste the alcohol, so the 10% ABV is masked very well. Black Chocolate Stout is so satisfying to drink the whole way through.

Mouthfeel: Pleasant and smooth, not syrupy or overly sweet like I might have expected. Here I can savor the nice balance of [low] carbonation, bitterness, and sweetness

Drinkability: High, and probably its best attribute. Not that anyone should want to throw back several of these, but there's absolutely nothing getting in the way of finishing at least one, and this has been a problem for me when sampling other beers of this style. This beer is complex but easy to appreciate.

Notes: When I bought this four-pack of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout I was deciding between it and the somewhat similar Southern Tier Choklat, which was only available in a bomber size, wasn't refrigerated, and was very overpriced. I think I made the right choice...

4.15/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Jet black with a moderate creamy brown head leaving some creamy lacing.

Smells big of milk chocolate and fruits, hazelnuts and a soft spicy breadyness, cinnamon rolls maybe, red wine as well.

Taste starts of mildly sweet, the milk chocolate is there, together with a nutty nougat and a hint of grassy hops. The taste moves on to a semi-sweet fruitiness, dried red berries and some fruit candy, especially the ones supposed to taste of black currant, and in fact, the brew finishes with a light to medium bitterness paired up with what I imagine a curant cookie would taste like, with the alcohol present and warming behind it all. There is also during the whole taste a roasted note, almost like charred wood, or maybe charred bread, but it fits in well with a bitterness that otherwise would be lacking.

Carbonation is soft and pleasant, but the beer has a sting to it, cant really place it, but I dont believe it to be the alcohol, but it makes the lizuid feela bit harsh at times.

2009 vintage
Pour a wonderful black with a tan head that leaves a little lacing as is dissipates.
Some smooth chocolate and roasted malt and raison flavors on the nose but not too prononced.
The first thing that hits me is the raison but once that fades the chocolate flavors kick in with bitter dark malt flavors similar to coffee.
Pretty smooth mouthfeel that helps this beer go down quick.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Lightly chilled 09-10 vintage into a glass, courtesy of ericwo. Thanks Eric!

A: Pours black in the glass, essentially opaque in the center but just translucent at the barest edges. A finger of dark mocha head adorns the glass for a minute or so, receding in clumps until a thin film covers the beer. That's gone in another minute. Some bubbles attempt to lace during swigs, but nothing sticks.

S: Sweet, dark malts. I expected this to be like a melted Hershey's bar, but it's not. It's simply chocolate-forward without being ridiculous about it. Still has plenty of traditional RIS characteristics, like coffee and hints of dark fruits.

T: More chocolatey than the nose suggested. It doesn't have the cloying sweetness of some other chocolate stouts, but it definitely brings a lot of bittersweet cocoa beans to the table. They're fleshed out with bitter espresso flavors and a general feeling of char (though it's not exactly ashy). Try as I might, I could not pick up the dark fruits I smelled.

M: A bit of a warming effect from the ABV, but it's pretty well-hidden and smooth. Carbonation is modest, and the body is full in flavor, medium-full in heft.

D: I liked it, but I'd need to sit down and have it again before I could really make up my mind on where it falls in the chocolate stout spectrum. Expect a re-review of this one.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours very dark brown, verging on black. Small tan head without much lacing. Smells mildly of chocolate and roasted malt. This does have a chocolate taste, but I expected a bit more. Nice bitterness, with some amount of alcohol in the taste, though it is still hidden well for 10%. The body is quite smooth.

This was from a 2009 bottle. I have several other bottles and I'll be interested to see how it ages.

3.13/5  rDev -24.6%

Poured from a bottle into my Stone IRS snifter

A - a shade away from pitch black with a thin tan head that quickly disappeared

S - Smells like dark malt with a very faint hint of chocolate and an even fainter hint of alcohol

T - Tastes pretty normal for a stout with a little more chocolate flavors, slightly sweet at first, Hardly any aftertaste at all, really isn't as powerful as I was expecting

M - Medium body with a decent amount of carbonation, the body might be the best part of this beer

D - Surprisingly easy to drink for its 10%, it doesn't have much complexity though and is surprisingly mediocre. I wouldn't say this is a bad beer but it just comes across as simple to me. Sometimes this is a good thing but I expect more from a RIS. If this was offered to me again I wouldn't have a problem drinking one but I won't be seeking this out again anytime soon.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Winter 09-10 bottling. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark black color with about a finger of tan head. Decent lacing and little carbonation evident.

s - Smells of chocolate, but smells somewhat mellowed out. Also smells of roasted malts and a little bit of coffee, but not was much as other people seemed to have smelled.

t - Tastes strongly of chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. The coffee comes out a lot more in the taste than the smell. Tiny hints of alocohol and bitterness in the aftertaste.

m - Pretty thick and creamy. Full bodied with low carbonation.

d - I really like this beer; it's one of my favorite Brooklyn beers. Looks great and has a wonderfull full chocolate taste to it. Thought the smell was a little mellow but that could be because it's not March and this is from the 09-10 Winter release. Great stout that I will certainly be trying again.

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Beautiful creamy dark black with nice creamy brown head that laces very well.

S - Malty, toffee, chocolate.

T - Not as much chocolate taste as I expected and it's kind of disappointing. Scotchy, licorice aftertaste that isn't very pleasant. Alcohol shows through pretty bad.

M - Nice. Full creamy finish. Not very balanced, however. The carbonation is lopsided.

D - Not very drinkable because of the high ABV. It's also hard to drink fast because it's so potent. A decent beer, overall, but somewhat overrated in my opinion.

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

The beer is dark brown, near black, the head is surprisingly small, beige leaving some lacing and curtains.

The smell is sweet dried plums, some sour milk (sic), burnt bread, woodsmoke, coffee and chocolate roasted beans.

The taste has the sweetness from a ripe cream sherry, roasted malt flavors and really bitter roasted seeds and coffee beans. The bitterness is rather sharp, and stays for quite a while.

This sample had low carbonation, but rather tingly small bubbles, and a dry finish.

It is a well made beer, but a bit to coarse bitterness, could benefit from a few years storing for my taste.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

It blows me away that a beer can taste so chocolaty without using any actual chocolate!

An aroma of roasted grains, powerful coffee. The coffee and chocolate blend really well together. I knew this was going to be a great beer from just smelling it. So many imperial stouts try to do this and some succeed and some ultimately fail.

Taste of coffee, CHOCOLATE, chocolate, and more chocolate. Barely any hops noticeable. Just a really smokey beverage.

The beverage is chewy but very smooth. The only thing that threw me off was after the first sip, it felt weird swallowing and most likely, that was due to my own fault of something I had to drink or eat earlier on. Either way, just a good brew.

Black, chocolate, coffee, smoke, goodness.

Drink up.