Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Brew33

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

From the 08-09 batch.
I was looking forward to this beer and ended up unimpressed. It is pitch black with some ruby highlights. Thin tan head, some lacing.

Smelled of some roasted/choclate malts but mostly biting alcohol aroma.

I was pleased that the taste didn't mirror the strong Alcohol aroma. Chocolate malt sweetness, slight smokiness. A little alcohol heat. Not nearly as complex or roasty as I had hoped. Just middle of the road. Low carbonation. Light creaminess. Not great.

I would drink it again but nothing exciting. I missed a lot of the notes other BA's tasted in this beer. Blah...

12-23-2008 20:54:36 | More by Brew33
thain709

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Pours a pitch black...and I mean pitch black...leaves a very little light brown head...not much lacing

S - The alcohol really comes through...some notes of chocolate and roasted malts

T - Once again the alcohol is very present...but the balance of malts, chocolate/coffee, and very little hops is outstanding

M - Smooth, rich, and creamy

D - This beer only gets better as it gets warmer...although the alcohol is there it's still very drinkable! I'm happy I finally got my hands on a bottle and I'll be going back for another!

12-22-2008 18:42:43 | More by thain709
xfactor9600

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Thick black color. Didn't get much foam, which was surprising

S: Chocolate

T: A hopsy taste with a chocolate after taste. Not bitter as I had expected.

M: Smooth, but perhaps too little carbonation.

D: A nice experience. What I was looking for out of this type of beer.

12-22-2008 02:52:33 | More by xfactor9600
LilBeerDoctor

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Reviewed on 7/26/08. On tap at Blind Tiger, vintage 2005. Pours black with a small dark tan head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of rich roasted malt and coffee. Flavor of coffee, chocolate, roast, with a bitter chocolate finish. Wow, this beer has a very rich and creamy palate! The age has smoothed this beer out and it is not bitter at all. It has a nice sweetness that is not too overpowering. Extremely drinkable, smooth, and delicious! Definitely age this if you can!
8/4/8/5/16 (4.1/5)

12-21-2008 23:31:18 | More by LilBeerDoctor
dasenebler

Maine

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours like a good imperial stout, that is, like motor oil. Totally opaque, decent dark tan head when poured into Murphy's stout glass. Aroma is kind of tangy, with licorice and malt, along with a bit of alcohol.

Taste is awesome, though I do think it could be bit more smooth. First impression is very bold, strong, and somewhat alcoholic. Aftertaste is great, deep roast and dark chocolate. Overall, tangy and pretty bitter, just like a good piece of chocolate. Luscious, heavy mouthfeel, which coats the mouth and then some. Some carbonation, but ultimately not a whole lot. Great lacing. Not very "drinkable" since it's 10% and really heavy, but my overall impression of the beer is that it's delicious and outstanding. Well done, Brooklyn Brewery.

12-21-2008 05:40:18 | More by dasenebler
DavoleBomb

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Black opaque color. Not a whole lot of head, even with an aggressive poor. Average retention, some lacing.

3.5 S: Chocolate malt. Dark crystal malts. Not much else.

3.5 T: Deep malt backbone. Some chocolate, a bit of nuttiness. Good hop flavor, but a little unbalanced due to lack of bitterness.

4.0 M: Full bodied. Very smooth and a little undercarbonated.

3.5 D: Alright, but not my cup of tea (or beer I suppose). A little boring in terms of flavor.

This beer is rediculously similar to my brown ale (which was the first beer I ever made). If anyone likes this beer a lot, beer mail me for the recipe.

12-21-2008 05:18:41 | More by DavoleBomb
seanpachefddfa

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

appearance- this was one sexy pour. Jet black with a thick milk chocolate head. Head sticks around forever
smell- dark chocolate malts and some dark fruits
taste- same as the smell but with a bit of coffee also
mouthfeel- full body good carbonation creamy and silky smooth
drinkability- a very good chocolate stout will get this one again

12-21-2008 01:30:33 | More by seanpachefddfa
misterjeb

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

This was one of the first chocolate stouts I've ever had. Poured into a 24 brandy snifter for the lazy swirl. Jet black with tan head.

Smells of yoohoo thin chocolate. Alcohol fumes - I like it.

Tastes of roasted coffee and bitter chocolate.

Mouthfeel is a creamy malt smooth finish, bitter lingers.

Drinkability good, short session this one and pair with dessert, its beddy bye time.

12-21-2008 00:38:13 | More by misterjeb
fitzy21

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Dark black, with a very small head and it retains till the drink is gone. the lace around the glass melts back into the drink and creates a small head

Smell: roasted malts, sweet chocolate smell, very inviting to drink. a hint of coffee.

Taste: at first, alcohol comes on very strong and hard to notice the roasted malt and chocolate. as the beer sits and breathes, the chocolate comes out. very sweet as I first sipped and as it roamed around my mouth, hints of bitterness of the chocolate came through. after taste was bitter with a hint of coffee

Mouth feel: creamy, with a silky touch on the tongue. moves around easily and slightly coats the tongue and cheeks before it moves on

Drinkability: can't see finishing a whole 6 pack of this in one setting. 2-3 would be fine. very enjoyable to drink. this beer gets better as you drink it.

i can't wait to see how it ages, got 3 of them cellaring right now...

12-20-2008 03:11:24 | More by fitzy21
DVTO2

Connecticut

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

The first time I tried this I got a quick thumbs up from my local retailer and brought it home to compliment my chile. The chile was hot enough that I didn't really taste the alcohol and I couldn't understand why my ears seemed to be flushed after only one glass of beer. It wasn't until I read other reviews that I learned it has a hefty 10.5% alcohol content - this is definitely a sipping beer.

The beer is dark and pours nicely into the glass with a full light chocolate head. The brew lives up to it's name as chocolate dominates the tasking notes from start to finish. In all honesty, I would probably rate the beer a bit higher if it had less alcohol, maybe just because I'd feel freer to drink more than one. Tonight I'm snowed in and am not going to bother plowing the driveway, so I can drink with confidence. However, I do think the alcohol detracts from the taste just a tad, enough to keep it out of the exceptional catagory. The brothers seemed to split on their impression of this beer. I'm in between - it won't be my first choice but I will recommend it to some of my beer loving friends.

12-20-2008 00:18:18 | More by DVTO2
chuckd123

Connecticut

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

I've had 4 of these out of 12oz bottles now. A very good example of the style. Poured into a pint glass today, and was dark-as-night black with a dark tan/brown head, about 1.5 fingers worth. Not much lacing to speak of, but no surprise there.

Smell is 3 things at once; chocolate first, malt second and alcohol third. Nicely balanced, but these three stand out. Very inviting smell, pretty much what you would expect of the style.

Taste is similar to the smell in that you notice the same three things, in that order. Chocolate doesn't overpower as I expected, but is somewhat balanced with the malt. Slight alcohol burn comes on shortly after swallowing, but at 10%, you'd expect that to some extent.

Mouthfeel is not the most impressive part of this beer, but it's smooth & creamy and the alcohol gives it somewhat of a warming feel.

Drinkability is about average. For one, I don't think many of us expect to session a 10% stout, but this is one I wouldn't have more than maybe 2 of in a sitting.

Overall a very good beer from Brooklyn, and worth trying this winter.

12-19-2008 22:18:01 | More by chuckd123
jiggahertz

New Hampshire

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

My first try at a chocolate stout. Picked this up in a six pack for ~$10.

A: Inch and a half amber head turning brown from an aggressive pour just bellowing over the top of a pint glass. Head sticks around forever and resembles chocolate mousse at first.

S: Chocolate. Malt comes through as the head begins to dissipate.

T: Chocolate at first, then the malts really come through with coffee and nutty flavors. Finishes incredibly sweet.

M: Flavor sticks around for a while. Mild carbonation, can't tell it's 10.6% ABV.

D: The taste has a lot of subtleties that keeps me lifting the glass. Probably wouldn't want more than one in a sitting, but makes for an enjoyable sipper.

12-19-2008 00:28:03 | More by jiggahertz
Spidey13

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Black Chocolate Stout pours a deep, dark black with a small brown head. On the nose, there is a lot of roast and coffee notes. A bit of alcohol and chocolate and a good amount of dark fruit.

The taste have quite a bit of dark chocolate flavors, roastiness. A lot of bitterness and astringency on the back, which reminds me a lot of dark chocolate. The mouthfeel is thick and a bit creamy with low carbonation.

Though the thick mouthfeel and high alcohol make this a slow drinker, it is quite tasty.

12-18-2008 12:03:07 | More by Spidey13
f0gg

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Pours a DARK black with small layer of head on top. Amazing chocolate smell with a hint of malt and coffee. Great mix of chocolate and coffee flavor that has a bit of a bitter taste to it. Mouthfeel is slightly carbonated and seems to stay with you with a coffee aftertaste. This is not a beer to drink quickly its something to sit down with relax and enjoy for a little bit. One of my favorite beers that I have had recently and would definately purchase again.

12-18-2008 03:35:54 | More by f0gg
biggred1

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Very dark brown, impossible to see through. Big pillowy chestnut head that lasts long after the pour, leaves some cocoa colored lacing on the glass. Smell is predominately chocolate and rich roasted coffee very little hop in the nose. Tastes like it smells chocolaty and rich, some bitterness but in a semisweet chocolate sort of way. Really gains complexity as it warms, an almost vinuous,raiseny quality. Thick kind of chalky mouthfeel.Coats the tongue and throat. Delicious and highly drinkable, the alcohol is only slightly perceptable for such a strong brew. One of the best winter seasonals for my money.

12-16-2008 21:47:03 | More by biggred1
Duhast500

Rhode Island

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Color is a dark black. When I poured it into my glass it had a very small light brown head about a millimeter in height. When held up to the light it completely opaque.

Smell is heavy chocolate with a roasted malt flavor. A light hop smell brings out the sweetness and a bit of a coffee smell as well.

Taste is of chocolate but is not too overpowering. It is also a bit bitter taste with a coffee flavor on top of a burnt malt aftertaste.

This brew does have that lingering after taste but it is slight and not very strong. It does take a sip or two to get used to. It is bit strong and can overpower you a bit if you are not used to a beer that is this high in ABV.

It is worth the try is you like Stouts. I will be harsh on the palette at first but it is a very delicious offering from the Brooklyn Brewing company. I plan to comeback to this again in the future.

12-15-2008 23:58:55 | More by Duhast500
everetends

Alabama

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

12 oz bottle thanks to the great IBUnit. This one has been eluding me for quite some time so it was nice to see it as an extra in that box. Served this one up in my Terrapin snifter.

A: Pours a . . . you guessed it, dark ass black. Pretty damned black that lets only a little light through on the edges in the form of dark brown that lets just a touch of light through. When poured, I got a good finger of mocha head that had pretty good retention even though I nursed the hell out of this beer. Lacing was somewhat sticky, but this beer is so slick it coats the glass and all of it slides back into the liquid. Good looking brew.

S: Smell is of some serious chocolate. The impressive thing is that you can smell some much chocolate. Dark, milk, cocao all coming out clearly. The malt is roasted, smelling a touch like some wood. Hops bring out a bit of bitterness. Coffee comes out as well.

T: Taste is of chocolate. Pure and simple that comes out loud and clear. All varieties named in the nose. The malt seems to be a bit burnt and a touch unappetizing. Coffee is dark and bitter as well. There is also a heavy alcohol flavor that seems to take a bit away from this. Bit of a shame but still enjoyable.

M: This is a full bodied beer . . . big time. Carbonation is low but a bit higher than expected. This beer is very thick, chewy and slick. Very nice. Really coats the mouth. Aftertaste is mostly of burnt malt and alcohol. Alcohol is a bit high, but does have a really nice warming character that somehow avoids burning the throat and warms from the stomach. This is good cold weather brew.

D: This was enjoyable but due to the alcohol level and burnt malt it is a sipper. I can't imagine poundinng this beer, it would hurt. I made it through an entire game of Trivial Pursuit (taking notes throughout) while drinking this one. Still it has its high points and it absolutely stands by the black and chocolate it references in its name. Pretty good stuff.

12-15-2008 07:46:55 | More by everetends
bc2208

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

The six pack is just so inviting, I was excited to try this.

Pour: Pours a thick black abyss, with a dark tan head. Could have used more out of the head, which dissipated rather quickly, but no complaints.

Aroma: Massive malty smell - robust coffee and dark chocolate smells, few other nutty and roasted malt flavors in there.

Taste: Exactly as anticipated. Very well balanced taste - chocolate reigns up front, roasted finish, and a sweet coffee aftertaste. Flavors are strong but not overpowering. This beer is high in alcohol but it's hidden well. Great for a long, relaxing sipper.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation isn't too strong, but present enough to distinguish this from Kahlua!

Drinkability: Y'know, it's hard to see drinking more than 3 of these, but at 10% ABV there's not much need. I'm looking forward to another already.

This is a top beer for me.

12-15-2008 06:07:04 | More by bc2208
Bung

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Black/brown pour with a brown head. Real good with the chocolate and grape type fruit aromas. Roasted malt and chocolate present throughout. Roasted coffee with a clean bite at the finish. Alcohol let's you know it's there, but not overpowering. By far, Brooklyn's best offering.

12-15-2008 03:19:59 | More by Bung
StarlightSeraph

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Very dark brown and thick coming out of the bottle, looking almost pitch black in the glass. No light comes through. Poured with a one-finger chocolate-brown colored head, with lacing that lingered for awhile.

Smell: Hints of alcohol, and lots of chocolate and maltiness. I barely detected any hop aromas, though hints of them began to come through as the beer warmed, as did hints of chocolate and raisins.

Taste: Roasted coffee was the first taste in my mouth, and it exploded out of the glass. The alcohol taste is strong, unsurprising due to the 10 percent APV. However, it does lend somewhat of an astringency to the beer that is mildly unpleasant. There is some chocolate in the background, but coffee is the overpowering flavor. As it warms, the flavors begin to meld together.

Mouthfeel: Thick and rich, exactly what I expected out of this beer. Nicely carbonated as well, which kept me from drinking this too quickly (which is a good thing!)

Drinkability: An outstanding beer for sitting my the fire on a cold winter night. It's not something I can drink more than one or two of, however - but it's also a beer where it's worth savoring every sip.

I've heard some people say this isn't nearly as good as previous years' editions. This is the first year I've tried Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, and it is definitely an enjoyable beer, and probably one of my favorites. However, I don't taste the chocolate nearly as much as I thought I would. This beer also gets much better as it warms.

12-14-2008 20:43:13 | More by StarlightSeraph
rabsten

West Virginia

4.4/5  rDev +6%

2008-09 vintage bottle to an East End Brewing pint. Black as coal, thick, Cocoa colored head with large bubbles, decent retention and good lacing.

Somewhat sweet aroma with a definite alcohol presence. Light anise hanging around in the background.

Starts with an indefinite sweetness. Is it chocolate, like the name? No. Caramel or toffee? No. Honey, sugar, .no, no....you get the idea. Some toasted grain and alcohol. As it warms a licorice note emerges and replaces the sweetness. Much better as it approaches room temperature. Alcohol is prevalent from start to finish; there's no questioning that this is an "adult beverage."

Hits the middle of my tongue and upper palate. Slight alcohol burn going down. What I want from a high ABV brew.

Smooth enough to be very drinkable, alcohol and all. I've had two over the last two hours and could easily drink more were I not cutting back.

BL: Very good Imperial Stout. It's not Storm King, but nothing else is, is it? Well worth your time. I'm going to get an additional six to age to see how it works out.

12-13-2008 20:23:37 | More by rabsten
BigJim5021

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Pours jet black with a nice tan head. Decent lacing, but nothing too outrageous.

Smells of bittersweet chocolate and burnt malt. You can detect a hint of alcohol too. Smells a bit like booze-drenched fruit.

Flavor is more bittersweet chocolate and bold black coffee. Boozy at times, too. Tasty.

Mouthfeel is good, though not quite as viscous as I was expecting for 10%. With an RIS at that level, I expect Castrol GTX. Don't get me wrong, this shit is certainly thick; it's just not -- say -- Expedition Stout thick.

Drinkability is decent given the amount of booze you're dealing with. This certainly makes for a good warm-up on a cold winter night. And for the record, $10.99 is a pretty good price for a beer like this.

12-13-2008 08:17:37 | More by BigJim5021
TheBlackMallard

3.9/5  rDev -6%

2007 BCS Growler thanks to sholland119 in Secret Santa 08.

Booted. Pours jet black with a decent sized mocha head.

Smell: Dark Chocolate, Plums, Coffee, and Roasted malts.

Taste: Smooth Chocolate, Some Booze, and finishes with Roasted Barley. Definitely better with a year on it. Full bodied with medium carbonation.

I'm not a huge fan of fresh BCS, but I could see this being amazing with another year.

12-12-2008 02:46:05 | More by TheBlackMallard
maximum12

Thanks to the three traders who sent me this within a short period of one another, one via trade, two via extras. That just means I have five downstairs...well, I mean, I did a minute ago.

Now I have four. #5 is chillin' & warmin' in my Stone pint glass, winkin' at me in the snowy frost of a single-digit Minnesota evening. My belly could use some fiery cheer.

Hold off, buddha, nose goes first, & it says nice. My poor wife sniffs, but she has to work tonight, so she slinks away unhappily. The expected chocolate, a nice tip o' the coffee pot on the backburner, very dry, almost an Irish stout taste to this black boot. Initially a touch thin, but seems to thicken up as it warms. Little apparent alcohol, but my core body temp is rising, so some part of my knows there's moonshine in this swill.

Nice beer & I'd like to try some of Brooklyn's other offerings.

12-12-2008 02:32:01 | More by maximum12
PrAndo

Wisconsin

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

I find this beer to be like a candy bar for adults.

The name of the beer really says a lot about how I expereince the beer.

Black. It certainly is that, it is darn near opaque and appears as if someone has filled your glass with tar. Fortunately for us though, the flavor beats tar in a landslide.

Chocolate. Yup, maybe even coffee type flavors too. I find it rich and decadant as a flourless chocolate cake. It's got that dense, deep flavor to it that you really need to think about as you enjoy it.

Stout. Wonderful brown-ish head while carrying that great stout "dryness" in terms of mouthfeel. It's roasty and perfect for a cold winter night.

12-12-2008 02:27:05 | More by PrAndo