Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter at 50 degrees. One previous review last year, before my tastes developed.

A - Pours a very dark black with a small brown head.

S - Powerful aromas of dark, unsweetened chocolate (similar to baking cocoa) and dark-roast coffee beans.

T - Strong blend of the coffee and cocoa, and as with the smell, no real sweetness or maltiness to it. I detect a slight hint of raspberries or black cherries...not enought to carry its own flavor, but it highlights the unsweetened chocolate very well.

M - Creamy mouthfeel, but not overly thick. Alcohol isn't overbearing, but is detectable as the warming sensation takes you.

D - The first time I tried this RIS, I didn't enjoy it...this was about 10 months ago. As I could tell my tastes were developing, I couldn't wait to try it again, and it was more than worth the wait. Would make for a wonderful addition to a session tasting and I plan on cellaring the rest of my case for enjoyment in the years to come.

JohnnyM2002, Dec 07, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz bottle, 6 pk for less than $10 out the door if I remember correctly. 06-07 bottling.

A: Black as it gets. Small brown head that leaves a ring quickly.

S: Lots of chocolate malt, some coffee, and maybe a touch of dark dark fruit, like raisons or prunes.

T: Tons of chocolate throughout. Big roasted super sweet malts. Some black coffee. The alcohol is no where to be found until you feel it going down your throat, and then, just warming enough that you know its there.

M: Not quite as thick as some (ie Bell's Expedition), but the perfect blend of carbonation, body, and creaminess. Slightly dry on the finish.

D: The perfect nightcap and winter beer. As drinkable as a RIS can be

Another beer that has finally made it to MI. Simply one of the best, and a great value to boot. Do yourself a favor and let this one warm up some

mjd83goblue, Dec 07, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a Maudite tulip glass. Darker than the blackest depths of hell!!! This looks like OIL when you pour it. Leaves a very small brown head that turns into a decent ring. Pretty good lacing going on as well.

The aroma is pretty boozy. And coffee-like. Two good things.

Holy stouty goodness! Roasty espresso-like flavor, with a rush of hoppy bitterness as you swallow... but there's a very sweet and fruitlike finish to it, almost like pomegranate. Even though it's not actually made with any real chocolate, it sure does have a dark chocolate flavor, with a bit of molassesy maltiness in there as well. It's got all the flavors that I hope for in a good, solid RIS.

Mouthfeel is a bit drying, in my opinion, but definitely not enough to take away from its deliciousness.

As far as drinkability goes... well, it's just not fair to rate an RIS this strong on drinkability. Don't get me wrong, the alcohol is VERY well-masked, but still... one is enough. It's fantastically drinkable for what it is.

This beer isn't just good for its price... it's TOO good for its price. A beer this good and this strong at a regular six-pack price is not something you'll see very often. Buy it before it runs out at your local liquor store... I've seen it happen in my area already. I'm excited to see how well it ages.

PS (a little edit) - pour this with a generous head. I've NEVER noticed such a drastic taste difference as when I poured this with little to no head, and when I poured it with a generous head. It was infinitely better when I poured it into a stemmed pilsner glass (of all things) with a 'whoops, I sort of over-did that' head.

About $9 a six-pack

NolateM, Dec 07, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Re-review! It's about time, and I thought it might be handy to compare this side by side to Dragonslayer, since it is my highest scored so far in this category.

I repeat myself in saying this is a beautiful, beautiful beer. Dark, no light, deep tan head, lacing- gorgeous. Nose is chocolatey and sweet- deeply so, like hot chocolate and espresso. Malty. Sweet. Taste is sweeter than the Dragon, chocolatey, missing the bitterness I enjoyed in Dragon, but sweeter. Not necessarily better or worse- just different frames of mind. Mouthfeel good, drinkability good- again, a very tasty brew. Sweet, tasty, chocolatey, dessert beer. Dessert, in a beer. This batch is definitely more well-balanced. Good stuff. And sneaky alcohol content- boys, give your girls this- you'll thank me later.

scooter231, Dec 06, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Beer poured from a bottle labeled winter 05/06 into a pint glass. No head at all, even when I poured half of the bottle straight down the center. Would have received a higher appearance rating if it had something on top. Laced icicle shapes down the glass as I enjoyed.

Smell was very nice. All chocolate, with some espresso notes on top. Not bad at all.

Taste.. Very chocholate-y. This Stoudt is named correctly! Chocolate overtakes the palate, and a very slight grapefruit like bite to it. The aftertaste is similar to roasted coffee beans.

Heavy in the mouth, slightly overtaking due to the high alcohol content in this beer. Not bad by any stretch, but it's definately a sipper.

Overall, a pretty good beer, and a fine representation of RIS.

pavandal, Dec 06, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchase from the Park Slope Food Coop.

Oh yeah!!! I love this stuff. Pours like motor oil with a nice brown head. Thick and smooth; Easy to drink for such a strong brew. The chocolate and nut flavors really come out. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout so far, but I haven’t had many types. After first trying a bottle I went out immediately and bought two six packs for fear they would sell out too quickly. When I first went to Bierkraft for it, they were out. Get it now or you will miss out this year, but don't worry there is always next year.

AChamberlain, Dec 05, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a dark black with dark tan head. Retention and lacing within the large wine glass was stunning. Aromas of roasted malts and cocoa.
Big dark chocolate and bitter espresso notes. Bittterness sort of sat there on the tongue, without enough caramel from the malts to throw it off the couch. Came off less creamy than I had expected, yet still had a very light mouthfeel as it was considerably less viscous than other examples.

Overall, I unfortunately received this and the Young's Double Chocolate at the same time to share. The creamy, vanilla goodness of Young's was really what I was looking for at the time, which detracted from my overall enjoyment with the Brooklyn version. Very good nonetheless.

Umbra, Dec 04, 2006
3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Straight from Bottle.

A-Little to no foam, and as for the foam that was there, it was a warm cocoa color. The beer was a deep black with a nice deep brown on the lip.

S-Goddamn is this appealing, a very attractive aroma.

T-Not as bitter as it is strong, however, the aftertaste is rather odd.

M-Very creamy, it seems to just flow freely throughout your mouth (and then down your throat!)

D-Apart from a strange aftertaste every so often, I could drink this non stop.

Highly Recommended, but I would not go as far to say this is the best beer on the market. ALSO, the bottling is VERY attractive.

Damaged, Dec 04, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer pours a dark-as-night black color with a moderate head. The smell is hard to tease out, but is much like alcohol and dark malts. Just a hint of something sour, although I am really not sure what it is... The taste is very special. It takes a little while for it to develop on the tongue, but its mostly like the same dark malts with just a hint of hops. The aftertaste is overwhelmingly like coffee, and lingers on the tongue for a long time. Many sweet notes as well, but I cant place where they would come from. This is a terrific beer, and well worth seeking out.

Toddv29424, Dec 03, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Had this one on tap, and like it better than from a bottle. It pours a thick black color with a nice brown head and good lacing. Too much alcohol in the nose, but there is also hints of chocolate, coffee, and dark fruits.

More impressed with the taste fomr the tap than from the bottle. The flavors were much more complex, and seemed to dance on the tastebuds for a longer period of time. Black coffee, baker's chocolate, a hint of bitter hops all to be found. Mouthfeel is chewy and a bit sticky. It's a high ABV, so drinkability isn't great. But this really is a finely crafted winter beer.

BBM, Dec 02, 2006

2006-2007 version

12 ounce bottle - into a DFH shaped pint thingy.

A - Black. Very black. Nice sexy tan head. Can't wait for the S.

S - Yummy chocolate. On to the 'T', I can't wait.

T - Nice, solid dark chocolate taste and roasty warmness. Sits on the tongue very nicely. Solidly bitter finish. <<Shudder>> yummy!!

M - Low carbo, tingly warmth.

D - Suitable for a flask (I should patent this one) on a cold winter day!

Again a solid offering (perhaps the best from BB)....

Cheers!!

djeffbee, Dec 02, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz. brown bottle with black labeling winter 06-07. Pours a chocolate syrup thick blackness with an awesome foamy dark tan head. Aroma is full of chocolate, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, and coffee with a large nose of bourbon for a backbone. Full bodied with a slick, syrupy texture. Alcohol level is present as it numbs the tongue. Sweet caramel flavors and tons chocolate. Sweet, creamy, milk chocolate at first then a dry, dark, bittersweet, baker's chocolate. Large hint of like bourbon whiskey really finishes nicely with an espresso bitter tang and a big warming effect. Definitely a sipper but really a delicious beer.

Cheers!

SteveO1231, Dec 01, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: very black in color, some head but not much in the way of lacing.

Smell: Appealing. Lots of chocolate in the nose - I think I got some up my nose I was trying to sniff so hard.

Taste: Too bitter and "not enough chocolate" for the relatives I shared it with at Thanksgiving, but their loss - it's delicious. Lots of dark chocolate flavor, some espresso in the background, and a not-insignificant amount of hops bitterness - you can tell that the bitterness comes from hops, not burnt grain, which I always appreciate.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. Good.

Drinkability: Solid RIS, although a bit less hop character than there could be. A good dessert beer (for someone who's already a beer drinker), but not an introductory beer.

hunteraw, Nov 29, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a midnight black color with a small tan head, leaving trace amounts of lacing. Smell is roasty, chocolate-y, and a bit fruity. Taste is pretty nice, some chocolate and roastiness, but seemed to have more earthiness from the hops than I liked. I think this would be eliminated with aging, and would increase my score. Medium to full bodied, medium carbonation. Was fun to drink, and would like to get more, but would like to age it to see how it develops.

badbeer, Nov 29, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

To quote Blix, this beer is "Black as midnight, plack as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch..." Very little head to speak of, which settles into a patchwork of foam riding the black. Smell is roasty coffee beans and chocolate. Taste has none of that coffee smell, but the chocolate stands out. Also less of the bitterness I've come to associate with Imperial Stouts like Yeti and RIS. A very light carbonation had me hoping for a creamier mouthfeel, but it is a tad thin. The killer is the alcohol. Make no mistake, this stuff is HOT. The alcohol really asserts itself and takes away from both mouthfeel and drinkability.

This is a very tasty stout that just needs some time to mature and tame the alcohol (I hope). At around 7 bucks a sixer, this is an incredible bargain. I suggest buying a few for now and a few to put away for next year.

Onibubba, Nov 28, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle about 1000 times in ten years, this time to a pint glass. The liquid is BLACK with good carbonation. The head is 2 finger thick, tan smooth and creamy it fades is a light lace.

The small is deep dark roasted malt, coffee and chocolate notes.

The taste follows but delivers more, this beer is sensational. Dark roasted malt is crazy delicious. The beer is good cold, warm or left over from the night before, not real sweet but just enough to enhance flavor but biter hopy enough to retain an delicate dryness.

The mouthfeel is the best. The beer feels so good I don't want to swallow. I like swishing it between my teeth. Very creamy with great carbonation and no bitter or stale after taste.

The drinkability is awesome at 10.6 ABV (and you would never know it) the beer just gets for sip after sip. Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

MuenchenerKindl, Nov 25, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I had a bottle of Victory's Storm King Stout in hand when an employee of the local beer shop approached and stated that while my choice was good, Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout was really good this year. I took his advice, and, while I still have yet to try Victory's offering, I'm ecstatic over this beer.

It pours like so many in its style: black and thick. Not as thick as some, but thick. A thin head of tan bubbles formed, but they quickly dissipated and were replaced by a lace around the edge. The aroma is wonderful; it's full of malts, coffee, and chocolate, with hints of sticky dried fruit.

The taste is something to behold. It commences with a smokiness combined with dark, bittersweet chocolate. A nice espresso hue fills the middle, and the finish is slightly hoppy with hints of pine. The sweet fruitiness was only detectable by me after the beer had warmed considerably. All variations on the flavor during its time in the glass were appreciated.

I like the mouthfeel. It's full, but not too full, a little sticky, and the aftertaste–which is mainly of coffee and dark chocolate with some bitterness–lingers for quite some time. This is great beer, and a great model of the style. Cheers to Brooklyn Brewery!

CWiggins, Nov 25, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer has been significantly improved over the past 5 years. It has become an awesome example of what I know to be a Russian Imperial Stout. Bought a six pack of this at Wegman's back home in Syracuse, NY. Enjoyed in a nonic glass. Hard poured it to get some of that dark brown head and lacing on the edge of the glass. As far as aroma and taste goes, there's only one word and that is MALT! Sooo much awesome malt flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is sticky but smooth. Perfect amount of alcohol warming as well. I had three of these during Thanksgiving day...I felt so at home.

BeerHonky, Nov 24, 2006

I'm having a mini-vertical here, tasting the 04/05 and 05/06 simultaneously. I think I got these bottles from autumnaldave a long, long time ago, and it's time they were drunk.

Appearance-wise, they're obviously very similar. Attractive creamed coffee heads and stout black bodies.

The 04 actually smells stronger than the 05 to me. Getting my nose right in the former, I get a melange of chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt and alcohol spice. Raising my nose a bit from the glass, the chocolate really floats above all else magnificently. The latter seems more muted.

They taste markedly different. The initial taste on the 04 reminds me of chocolate licorice with some anise and transitions into a delicious, mellow roasted finish. A slight hint of burnt cereal remains long after you've swallowed. The 05 lacks the dark chocolate spike at the beginning; its initial taste is more straight fruitiness. Similar finish to the 04. This seems more like a traditional RIS. Both have a bit of a sour tang, but it's more pronounced in the 05. Overall, I think the 04 has a bit of a "fuller" flavor than the 05.

The mouthfeel on both is outstanding, nice and gooey. I'm having a very easy time drinking the 04, less so the 05.

My overall rating will have to be a synthesis of the two years, which I would break down independently as:

04/05: Appearance: 4, Smell: 4.5, Taste: 4.5, Mouthfeel: 4, Drinkability: 4.5

05/06: Appearance: 4, Smell: 3.5, Taste: 3.5, Mouthfeel: 4, Drinkability: 3.5

battlekow, Nov 21, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

First sampling of the Winter 06-07 edition, noting a whopping 10.6% on the bottle. Fans of this brew know it for it's deep black color, no light's getting through this one. A creamy foam head sticks to this beer all the way down, leaving it's lace on my glass. Don't let it's smell mislead you, smells medicinal, almost chemical...Once it hits your tongue it is a complete sensory overload. What first amazes me is the creamy, rich mouthfeel. This beer is like drinking silk. Up front is a warm, dark chocolaty smooth flavor. The maltiness is what hits you first, and is quickly followed by an incredibly pleasant hop bite and some alcohol as you swallow, leaving a roasted chocolate hop flavor to linger in your mouth. I wouldn't have guessed this was 10.6% by the flavor, but you definitely can taste the alcohol. This doesn't bother me, i feel it adds to the flavor in this case. The complexity of the flavor is almost impossible to describe, you'll have to get your own and make your own judgements. I could probably ponder the flavors of this beer all night but after 2 or 3 it's lights out! Such an amazing accomplishment for American beer, I'm really surprised this isn't top 100 material on BA. Thanks Brooklyn!!

smcyrone, Nov 21, 2006

I am not a big brooklyn fan, except for the historic Dodgers, but this is an outstanding brew. Pours a huge creamy almost whipped creamy head. Has lacing dripping down the glass. Malts dominate the beer, with chocolate, coffee, and whiskey. Finishes with a slight whiskeyish finish. Slight hoppiness at the end. Is dark black in color. Terrific price and an even more terrific beer!

bigdeuce, Nov 21, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

06-07 edition

a - pours deep black and thick looking, one-inch tan head from an aggresive pour, retention around the edges, great lacing

s - big roasted malt and chocolate aroma, alcohol noticeable

t - sweetness right up front with strong bitterness following, lots of chocolate and roasted malt with some espresso on the end with a strong alcohol taste as well, very complex

m - full-bodied, not much carbonation, dry finish

d - might be a little big and hot to be overly drinkable at this point, some age would probably smooth out the alcohol a little bit making it slightly more drinkable

Very impressed with this stout, and it's a great value to boot. I could see this brew getting a lot better with some age as the alcohol is still a little bit harsh, but I'm enjoying it right now.

WeisGuy, Nov 20, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured into a short chalice from a 12 oz bottle.

A- Deep, dark brown/black. Thin reddish tan head that settles to a ring.

S- Very burnt and charcoal smell. Bitter dark chocolate. Malty.

T- Starts out smooth and warming then the bitterness shoots down the sides of the tongue. Dark chocolate, well blended with a dark roast coffee taste. Sweet and malty, a little dry to finish. Really complex and nice.

M- Sticky, but thinned due to the high alcohol. Just the way a RIS should be, IMO.

D- Strong but soo good. Drink it late after dinner on a winter night.

Rudgers73, Nov 20, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Sampling the 06-07 edition. Pours a completely opaque black with a very thin dark tan head. Aroma is melted chocolate, with some spicy hops and some sour fruitiness as well. Taste is dark roasted coffee, unsweetened chocolate, with some hoppy bitterness that melds well with the chocolate flavors in the finish. Some sort of sour fruit, too, but I can't quite place it - maybe black currants? Super slick mouthfeel, with very little carbonation evident, and leaves a thick coffee syrup aftertaste, but that's what I'm looking for in an Imperial Stout, so it's good. Very drinkable, and I appreciate that the bottles are 12oz, so if you drink one you don't get completely hammered.

ColForbin, Nov 20, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Midnight color with a large frothy mocha head, good retention, and a layer of thin sticky lace devours my snifter.

Dark chocolate is obvious in the nose with hints of dark fruits dominated by plum, hints of currant, and black cherry as well. A good amount of alcohol is also present in the nose.

Well I'm not sure this is a fair review. This beer is way too young to review. This is big and everywhere. Needs time for things to settle down and meld together. However I will do my best interpratation. A thick bitter chocolate fudge is most noticeable and leaves a unpleasant bitter taste on the palate. Like eating a 90% cocoa bar. Also there are the dark fruits that add a layer of complexity too the brew. The same plum domination, black currant, black cherry, and a slight bit of hop. Hints of alcohol on the long finish.

Mouth is full and discombobulated. Again I think this will age into a winner. I will review again in 2 years.

mcallister, Nov 19, 2006