Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev -40.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

06-07 bottle - 10.6% ABV

The pour into my big ol' snifter raises a one finger light brown head that recedes quickly to a surface littered with large bubbles. Lacing is thin and sudsy. The body is utterly black, even when backlit. I'll let the head retention slip by, considering the extra alcohol. The nose reeks of roast and alcohol, with strong coffee notes and subtle hints of chocolate. Seems fairly one-dimensional, though - not much depth. The taste is sweeter, more acidic, and less roasty than I expected, or what I recall from last year. It's tasty, but here too, there's no depth. It does hide the alcohol well, though. The mouth is more than medium, but not the thickest I've ever had by far. Overall, an easy drinking strong beer, but without much to call me back. I'm glad I didn't buy a case like I originally planned...

mjc410, Oct 30, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Had heard a lot of good things about this stout and was not dissapointed. The brew poured thick dark black and left a creamy head. First sip was sweet, followed by burnt caramel and hints of coffee. The sweetness did not let up, as the first sip's flavors stuck to the tongue. The back end provided a slightly smokey character which blended well with the high alcohol content. After 3 bottles had to switch to another another standby before tastebud destruction- too bad because it was cold outside and this stout was the perfect warmer. Overall a very tasty beer- well done.

kernalklink, Oct 30, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Found a six of this gem at our local store for $6.99, what a buy. Poured a thick motor oil black with a small mocha hue head that left no lacing. The smell of chocolate is instance, also got a nice blast of roasted malt and burnt caramel. A hint alcohol is also present. What you smell is what you taste. Robust semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor with a hint of roasted malt followed by a hint of alcohol. The texture was thick, creamy and had a soft and subtle carbonation feel. Careful, this brew packs a punch at 10.6% ABV which is well hidden. I personally drink two and move on to something different. Buy a six and enjoy, it won't disappoint.

GimpyCane, Oct 28, 2006

A: Poured from a 12 oz marked ‘06-‘07 into a pint glass. This bottle says 10.6% ABV as opposed to the listed 8.5. A deep, dark black. Pours like warm syrup, approx. 1/2" copper/orange head, good retention with notable lacing.

S: Whoa, alcohol. It overpowers the hints of mocha, malt roasty/sweetness, toffee, and the bit of hops.

T: Strong alcohol sharpness, roasty malt flavors go well with the chocolate and coffee flavors which are both heavy. Hints of toffee.

M: This one is thick, definitely notable based on the ABV. Astringent drying can be noted on the tongue after swallowing and just before the syrupy nature takes over again and sticks to the mouth.

D: For those of you living in cold areas, this one could be good to keep around if you got snowed in. It's very warming. More than one or two could easily send someone who isn’t a seasoned veteran in high ABV brews over the edge. Definitely an interesting addition to the imperial stout world.

AzAleC, Oct 28, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -6%

12oz. bottle 06-07 edition

Pours a coal black with a small dark chocolate head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dominated by roasted malts with some espresso and light cocoa tones. There is a noticeable booziness to the aroma, even at a colder temperature.

Rich roasted malts upfront giving way to layers of espresso and cocoa flavors. Slightly bitter, it finishes with another helping of roasted malt. Even as it warms, the booze noted in the aroma is very hidden in the taste.

Full body, light carbonation.

Even with the elevated ABV, this is much more drinkable than last year's version. In fact, I think this version is superior in every way. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ages as I suspect it will continue to improve as it matures.

MaltyGoodness, Oct 27, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a very dark brown, if not black. Almost no head, somewhat of a lacing ring around the outside of the glass and that's it.
Smells of chocolaty syrup and alcohol. Some roastyness, burnt taste on the back side.
Taste is identical to the smell, with the alcohol being more present. And a stronger roast/burnt flavor left in the mouth.
Mouthfeel is too thin for a imperial stout in my opinion. I prefer it to be more thick and heavier on the mouth.
This is a fairly sessionable beer. The alcohol is quite high and is very noticable in the taste. I'm going to put a few away in the dark to let them mature.
It's a good winter brew that if you haven't tried is well worth it. I personally like the alcohol being elevated in this years offering, and due to that, will keep plenty around all winter.

FtownThrowDown, Oct 17, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz. bottle winter 05-06 edition

Pours a deep black with a minimal light brown head and no lacing. Smells of chocolate, caramel, and roasted malts. Tastes of bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts with what was almost a smoky flavor at the finish. Nice mouthfeel, its was somewhat creamy and velvety. Good drinkability, not my favorite RIS but an enjoyable brew.

mnj21655, Oct 17, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This review is for the fall 2006 release. Pours an inky black color with a lacy tan head. Smell of roasted malt with chocolate overtones.

Taste is heavenly with hints of roasted malt and semi-sweet chocolate, no cloying sweetness. Alcohol is hidden very well. Creamy lush mouthfeel with a lingering taste. Love it, this is the best BBCS I've had yet, absolutely delicious.

LarryV, Oct 16, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a dead black hue with a 2 finger pillowy tan head. There was good retention and lacing.

The smell was a strong upfront coffee and chocolate aroma. Good toasted grain element as well.

The taste consisted of a sweet chocolate and caramell ballanced by a solid coffee and burnt grain. Not overly sweet. ABV was hid well.

The mouthfeel was heavy and chewy.

Overall a very drinkable imperial. ABV is hidden well.

plaid75, Oct 16, 2006
3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Bottled in the Winter of '05-'06 so it's got a little age on it. Served slightly above room temperature, in a pint glass. Poured a deep, rich, black that no light could pass through. Had about a half inch of bubbly tan head that dissipated quickly , and left very little lace on the glass. Smelled of dark chocolates, oak, bourbon, and roasted coffee beans. Tasted heavily of chocolate/coffee with a trace of vanilla extract, and a smooth , smokey alcohol finish. A little sweet but very easy on the palate. I'd definitly get this stout again.

jaxon53, Oct 15, 2006
Photo of
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

05-06 Season

12oz. bottle. Hey, I didn't order used motor oil...Opaque, black, viscous, with a large dark tan head. When I reached the bottom of this glass, and held it up to a strong light, you could see that it was clear, and still very dark.

Aroma was pretty mild, first scent I picked up was chocolate. As I sniffed, alcohol said hello, then some fruit flavors, mainly raisins and grapes.

Taste was wonderful and complicated. Chocolate and coffee, caramel, bittersweet. As it warmed, licorice and/or anise seemed to make an appearance. Alcohol floated in and out of the flavor. At the end, the hops made an appearance, but they were certainly not the stars of this show.

Body was very smooth and medium + . I expected it to be heavier based on the appearance, but this didn't detract from my enjoyment. Carbonation was fairly light. The alcohol warming comes on strong and quick.

Overall, quite wonderful. I bought a sixer, and I think I will have to get some more in order to make it through the winter.

, Oct 03, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -39.8%

Pours opaque black with no head, and pretty much no carbonation. Smells like it should be tasty, but it just kind of underwhelms you with a dense flat unfulfilling taste, more coffee than chocolate. Certainly one is enough for me. I gave away the rest of the case.

techdiver, Oct 02, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

Brooklyn- Black Chocolate Stout

Appearance- Dark black with a dark tan head. Good loking lacing at the top of my glass.
Smell- Sweet chocolate, heavy with the sugar.
Taste- A chocolate coffee blend with 10 scoops of sugar! Too sweet.
Mouthfeel- The sugary sweetness is just too much. It hurts the cheeks. Warming and slightly bitter in the end. Alcohol is hidden.

Overall- If you like your Stout's packed with sugar this is your cup of tea, otherwise I'll pass.

NJpadreFan, Sep 28, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance: Black, with a surprisingly dark head that dissolves fairly quickly.

Smell: Not nearly as chocolate smelling as Young’s Double Chocolate Stout, but it had a nice smell of chocolate and coffee.

Mouthfeel: Very good. A top stout.

Drinkability: Very good. Not as sweet as Young’s (the last chocolate stout I had) which arguably makes a better drinking beer.

I’d highly recommend this if you’re looking for a good stout with a bit of chocolate smell & flavor. If you’re looking for a really chocolate flavored beer, try Young’s. Both delicious.

msolar, Sep 25, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

This was a gift from a friend, and came highly recommended...Poured into my favorite pint glass with a wonderfully dark color...nowhere near transparent...chocolate colored creamy head. I enjoyed this brew with a piece of chocolate to enhance the flavor of the chocolate notes. Not as chocolately as Rogue's Chocolate Stout, but the subtleness of the cocoa made it that much more enjoyable. At the higher end of ABV that I prefer but it was not noticeable and didn't detract from the flavor. If you're a true stout fan....check it out if you come across it.

Just got my first sixer of 06-07 before it was supposed to be released and I can't wait to age it a little bit to enhance all those awesome flavors

Bouncingsoul1682, Sep 22, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: Incredibly black, no light passing through this one. Brown head that lives shortly and leaves nice lacing.

Smell: An overwhelming amount of dark roasted maltiness, some coffee notes, and as expected the chocolate aroma came through.

Taste: Nice big roasted mlats up front with a hint of coffee followed by one of the best chocolate tastes I have had in a beer. The alcohol peeps through more than I expected but it is warming and pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with the typical lower carbonation that is found in the RIS style.

Drinkability: Not what I would call a session beer, but it is certainly more drinkable than many larger RIS's.

Overall this is my favorite offering from Brooklyn so far, I will pick it up again next release.

tattooedtolley, Sep 12, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

I just had some from the 6 I bought back in Dec. This Stout ages VERY well. The taste was a bit mellower than before. Not as sharp as the day I got it. Smell was good. Mouthfeel was good too. A lot smoother than before. Look was the same as was the smell. I still have three left, but I'll wait a while to see how those come out.

Da1nonlyBD, Sep 09, 2006

Winter 2005-2006 bottle pours a dark jet-black color, has a great tightly bubbled, creamy brown head that leaves some lacing in my glass. Sweet roasted chocolate, coffee and fruity aromas, sweet fruity plum-chocolate and coffee flavors. Nice burnt bitter-sweet finish. Medium-full body with creamy and smooth, oily mouthfeel, alcohol shows as it warms, I like it.

maxpower, Aug 26, 2006
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

Tonight I yearned for a decadent desert after a wonderful dinner. It's the middle of August, but I decided to crack open this bottle given to me by Ev from PA. (I was only able to resist it's pull for a week).
Oh my gawd!
Pours like old motor oil with a small dark tan head that turns to very sticky lacing.
Aromas before room temperature are definately dark chocolate...bittersweet dark chocolate. As it warms a toasted malt presence becomes known along with the hidden alcohol.
Very slight alcohol comes through in the aromas on the end, but does with fine dark chocolates too.
Taste....ah...taste....
Bittersweet rich thick (incredibly thick) smooth chocolate...hint of coffee....very slight hop bite at the end.
Aftertaste is warming chocolate and coffee.
This is very unlike any RIS I've ever tried....this is an incredible desert.
How can it be so sweet yet without any cloying stickiness on the tongue afterwards?
This was a wonderful, wonderful brew.
I am definately going to enjoy the next hour or so finishing this off.
Thanks Ev....wow.
***
It's room temperature now....aromas still delicious....taste is even creamier than before...surprisingly, the sweetness never became cloying or sickening...the hops on the end keep this brew fresh and clean in the mouth.
Still wonderful...still a perfect desert.
It's been one hour and I've only about 4 sips left.
I don't want another one...tonight.
But am very, very sad that this is the only one I have.
This is something I would like to have in my cellar for anytime I wanted something very, very special and decadent.
I would also like to see how well it ages...although I doubt these stay around long enough for anyone to ever find out.

IntriqKen, Aug 25, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

I had hugely high expectations, but I'm afraid I ruined myself drinking Oak aged Yeti tonight.

Poured an ultra dark brown with now head whatsoever.

The smell is of black coffee, pruned, slight unsweetened chocolate and dark bread.

The taste is beautiful, huge coffee, slight nutty malt with a creamy caramel sense. all in all the only big blemish is the really slight body texture, I expect more from a Imp Stout.

murrayswine, Aug 15, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

'05-'06 release, poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Totally opaque black, even in the light; the way it should be. Mocha color head with good retention. It fades after a couple minutes to a layer of lacing that sits on top. Beautiful lacing on the sides also.

S: Strong dark malty sweetness; Also coffee and of course, chocolate. There is a slight alcohol scent in the background, and maybe a dark fruit, but this could be dark malt sweetness. The alcohol seems to get stronger as it warms.

T: Alcohol warmth at first, accompanied by a dark malt sweetness. Then hit by big chocolate flavors and burnt malts which linger and fade into bitterness. The chocolate remains on the palate for awhile.

M: Relativity low carbonation, small bubbles and a full mouthfeel.

D: The alcohol is certainly there. This is not one to take down in gulps. As much as I like it, with the huge flavors in this beer I don't know if I would want another.

Great complex flavors here, but the alcohol overpowers sometimes. I'll have to age this for awhile and see where it goes.

51mmz0rz, Aug 15, 2006
4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the best I have had in quite some time. Poured absolutely black with nearly no head. Just some sand coloured foam. This actually looked thick as it poured into the glass. Smell is dark roasted malt, baker's chocolate, and espresso beans. I cannot smell any hops. This is fantastic, so far. Taste is unimaginable! There are virtually no hops I can detect in the taste. THIS is what a beer this thick and dark should taste like. Sweet, dark roasted malts, coffee, and lots of it. There is chocolate and a bit of bitterness on the finish. The mouthfeel is heavy yet smooth. Very little carbonation present here.
I am totally blown away by this one. Just delicious. Thanks to Ding, for allowing me to try this.

SilentSabre, Aug 13, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Wow is this a thick beer! It poured very dark opaque brown from the bottle with a thick dark tan head. It smells sweet and syrupy and malty. It has a balanced flavor, starting sweet and ending with a biting kick! The head fizzled to a thin layer, never quite disappearing and leaving a beautiful lacing on the glass. Very drinkable, it went down pretty fast without really noticing quite how fast!

BlueHammer, Aug 13, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into snifter.

A: Opaque chocolate brown, almost black. One finger of tan head with good staying power. Once it dissipated, a solid ring of brown foam around the edge of the glass persisted, with little lacing.

S: Oh, man. Dark, rich chocolate hits first and dominates. Like very dark, very rich chocolate syrup. Not Hershey's. Something dark, bitter, and expensive.

T: Chocolatey, sweet, a little bitter in the finish. Dry and roasty. Completely decadent.

M: Full-bodied. A little syrupy.

D: I'm confused as to what I should put as a score for the drinkability. Would I have another? I don't think so, but that's because it's really strong and the first was so damn good. I couldn't do much more than sip this, but it was divine. An outstanding beer.

rarevos, Aug 09, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

'05-'06 vintage. No best by date, though cellars well.

Appearance:

Pours a thick black with a reddish-brown head that settles rapidly. This ale is dark as night, and thick to boot.

Aroma:

Sweet plum/fig newton with chocolatey goodness that is tinged with a subtle caramel laced coffee aroma.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

This beer has substance!!! Thick and chewy with an immediate plum sweetness that blossoms into an alcohol infused cocoa as it warms on the tongue. Coffee presence is apparent on the finish as is a touch of port. Better than previous years, this one is superb. I look forward to seeing how it improves with age.

cbl2, Jul 30, 2006