Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

2006-2007 poured from 12oz into pint glass.

Nice dark head recedes fairly quick. Light barely penetrates the edges.

Smells has a bourbon, alcohol nose. Some burnt coffee malt coming through.

Taste has the dark malts shining through rather nicely. Hints of dark bitter chocolate, melds nicely with some slight hop bittering.

Mouthfeel seems pretty light considering the abundance a malt & alcohol

Drinkability is dangerously high, considering I only picked up 2 singles, the other will age for a year.

shroompod, Jan 10, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Now I have the 2006 - 2007 vintage.

I must say, I much prefer this beer fresh over when it is aged. I want my chocolate malt flavors and aromas to be in-your-face, not mellowed. Drinking Black Chocolate Stout is always a delicous experience. I really love this beer, as I tell everyone within hearing distance.

edskirk3, Jan 09, 2007
3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Pours pitch-black, as dark as can be, with a nice coffee-colored creamy looking foam head - looks spectacular and maintains a bit of lacing. Smell is all malt - roasted, chocolate and a bit of coffee. I can smell the alcohol in this, as well. Taste is much the same, lots of malt sweetness, and a tad bit of fruit, as well - raisin and prune. Slick and creamy.

My biggest problem with this beer is the ever presence of alcohol, particularly in terms of taste. It's a big beer at over 10% but I just don't feel like it's hidden very well. It's especially present when cold, but even as the beer warms I still get more alcohol on my palate than I'd like.

number1bum, Jan 09, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

In the pantheon of Russian Imperial stouts, this one certainly ranks right up there. A dark, dark brown with a thick mocha colored head. Aroma was predominately chocolate, but the coffee was noticeable. Very chocolate taste, intense and chewy. Smooth, alcohol not particularly noticeable. This could be a problem, except that the beer is so rich you're not going to want to drink a lot at one sitting.

lordofthewiens, Jan 06, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -6%

Looks very dark, rich and thick - black in color stopping all forms of light.

Smells of chocolate and alcohol.

Taste is very rich. Chewable. I like that.Malt, chocolate, and alcohol. Then, a few oddities I pick up: Rasins and hair spray? There is some dark fruity thing lingering in the background, and the alcohol is a bit stinging, reminding me of... hair spray... The hair spray isn't all that apparent, but it did make me drop my drinkability rating down a bit.

Mouthfeel is rather creamy, pleasent for a brew of this gravity.

Finish is edgey, leaving that hair spray around.

If you see this, give it a try. It has a nice hefty flavor worth experienceing.

karengarys, Jan 06, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

OK... so here you go.... this is a LIVE REVIEW. I just bought this six pack from one of my favorite beer stores... Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, OH... great beer selection. I purchased this for a little gathering we're having at the house this Saturday.

But, I decided to crack one open tonight to give it a try. I review this as I sit at my computer.... so this is AS IT HAPPENS!

It poured out nicely into my pint glass. I started it about half way down the side of the glass to prodce a perfect 1" head but it didn't seem like it was going to cooperate, so I stood the glass straight up and oops.... wound up with about two inches. But it has settled down now to a nice 3/4 inch already leaving a nice thick lacing behind. Black as the night with a thick frothy tan head.

The aroma is rich with a creamy maltiness with definite chocolate and coffee. Can't wait to taste!

Oh WOW!.... nice taste! low carbonation. And WOW!... very bold malt. Hoppiness is present just to let you know this beer is the boss. The alcohol adds a good flavor. Nice coffee follow through as the dark chocolate and a woody taste are all dancing around in my mouth!

Mouthfeel is excellent! It leaves my mouth coated with the woody taste long after I swallow. And a thin film is left in my mouth.

Drinkability.... WELL.... I really like this beer! It's not one for mass consumption... because it'll put you in your place! I'll be having two maybe three tomorrow when guests are here over the course of the evening. IF I can save that many back for myself!

EXCELLENT BEER if you're into a dark rich, thick stout like this!

TheBierBand, Jan 05, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Bottle, 2006/07 purchased from Brewery Creek in Vancouver.

Appearance: Completely black. Pours with a decent sized head. It fades away after a couple minutes to leave a thick, nectary apperance.

Smell: Wow. This beer has so much chocolate malt character. A slight bit of fruitiness is present as well. I almost didn't want to drink it after smelling because the aroma was so delicious.

Taste: Slightly sweet, rich, malty, roasty. Definate chocolate and coffee notes Everything you could want froma stout. This one is pretty high in alc. but it is pretty well hidden. It brings a sweetness and fruitiness to the beer, but does not taste alcoholy.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation level is low-mid range in intensity, just perfect for the style. As it goes down, there is a slight alcohol burn that brings a warming and pleasant feeling to the mouth.

Drinkability: Because the alcohol is so well hidden and the flavors are so dynamic, this is a really drinkable stout. The alcohol's effects can sneak up on you(put me to sleep, damnit!), but this is definately a 2, possibly 3 bottle(12oz) in a night Imperial Stout.

Hornet2003, Jan 05, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Limited edition 06-07

Appearance – Black as night with just over a centimeter of nice brown head. Some lacing was left on the glass as well. This beer looks very appetizing.

Smell – First off the roasted malts make a big impression. I also get whiffs of alcohol. On top of this there is a nice coffee bean aroma complimented heavily by dark chocolate. Very nice.

Taste – This one starts off heavy on toasted flavors with lots of coffee. There is some sweet licorice as well with a whole bunch of heavy dark chocolate. To finish there is very strong alcohol character and a slight bitterness.

Mouthfeel – Thick and chewy and a medium to low carbonation. Almost perfect.

Drinkability – Pretty good. It is a big beer but it goes down easily.

A great brew! I cannot wait to taste a couple of these aged.

Orrshow, Jan 05, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

2000-2001 Limited Edition bottle courtesy of Malto (Thanks!).

This bottle poured a dark black with only a small, tan head. The aging seems to have taken away some of the carbonation. The nose was very nice and highlighted by obviosuly chocolate hints, although subtle. The taste is where this beer makes its mark: A puff of semi-sweet chocolate off the top that turns only slightly bitter towards the end of the sip. A decadent chalky cocoa follows and the combination lingers long and pleasantly. Coffee bean undertones & roasted malts. Mouthfeel was exceptional. Although the pour revealed little carbonation, the body was lively enough to offer up some fresh mouthfeel and mix in a creaminess off the back end. I don't have a newer bottle of this beer to compare it to but this aged bottle is simply outstanding. Superb in every aspect.

Popsinc, Jan 02, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Winter 06-07 bottling. Black, very little light peers through the very edge. The head was a gorgeous milk chocolate colour, but didn't stick around.

When I first smelled the bottle, after popping the cap, I thought this beer might have a 5 for smell. All I got was rich dark chocolate. Once poured, alcohol heat competes with that delicious chocolate, taking away from the effect for me.

In the mouth, dark chocolate again makes the first impression. As it works its way across the tongue, roasted malt starts to take over. Alcohol heat pops up sharply, and the finish has plenty of smoke and ash. Really complex and tasty.

Thick and chewy, with lowish carbonation, this feels like you would expect it to.

Dangerously drinkable, I have to keep reminding myself it is a sipper. I may have to pick up another six pack of this year's version before it is gone.

elricorico, Jan 02, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Served in a pint glass, the BBCS pours a dark brown/black color with a small (about a finger high) tan head. Lacing is good. It smells like chocolate, dark fruit (raisins and plums) and roasted malt. It tastes like chocolate, roasted malt, coffee and a bit of alcohol. It starts off sweet and then has a bitter finish. Mouthfeel is full, creamy and a bit syrupy. Drinkability is very good, it's nice and smooth and easy to drink. I think this is a very, very good beer. I'd definitely recommend it to others, it's a very nice brew.

bluejacket74, Jan 02, 2007
4.15/5  rDev 0%

Got this as a Christmas gift from a good friend! 12 oz bottle that says it's the Winter 2006-2007 edition. 10.6% ABV

A: Dark, oily black. Tan head. Rather viscous. Very little retention. Looks exactly as you would expect an Imperial Stout to look.

S: Heavy chocolate (as expected), caramel, molasses, alcohol.

T: A little sweet and syrupy. Dominated by the dark chocolate. Ends with a nice bitter swoop, like a bite of bitter chocolate. Nice interplay between the chocolate and the alcohol.

M: Thick and creamy, with a sharp bite from the alcohol.

D: Sip it slowly because of the high ABV%. I drank this while playing card games with friends - perfect complement to socializing with taking this one in and enjoying it. The character changes nicely as the brew warms to room temperature.

ndekke39, Dec 30, 2006
3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from 12 oz single into a tulip pint glass. Appearance is completely black with less than a finger of well tanned head. Smell is heavy on espresso with some chocolate and maybe licorice. Taste is as advertised: chocolate at the front with coffee finishing with milky chocolate. Mouthfeel is creamy and carbonation is not very noticable. Not the most drinkable ale I've had-- its nearly 11% ABV is too much to mask and more than two in one sitting would be a bit much. Well done though, even if it's not my thing.

boxofepilepsy, Dec 30, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

06-07 Edition.

Pour stout black, no head at all though, only a light trace. Only the lightest lacing. I have to knock its score here, because I expect either head or heavy lacing in my Imperial stouts and this one was not impressive in either department. Smell is roasted malts, Belgian like notes as well...plums...interesting.

Flavour, softly roasted malts give way to major dark fruit effects, sweet dark fruit effects at that...figs...sugar, and, of course, chocolate. This is a really unique flavour for a stout, quite depthy. Alcohol is most noticeable on the finish, a light warming, some flavour of it peeking out.

Mouth on this, it's ok. This isn't a big, imperial thickness, and its hop action is nothing special either. It is relatively full though. Drinkability, really good for a beer of this size. This is as easy to drink as a standard oatmeal stout with 1/3 of the alcohol...easily one of the best in its style at this.

Overall: I like this beer quite a bit, I was prepared to be disappointed after pouring it because of the lacklustre appearance, but everything else about this beer was either decent or quite good. I find the combination of Belgian dark fruit flavours and traditional stout are quite unique...

CortexBomb, Dec 30, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I'd just tried this year's bottling back in Indiana, and now at the Drafting Room in PA i see the 2005 version on tap. I jumped at the chance. Served in a snifter looking very dark brown to black with a little chocolate brown head. Odor is bitter cooking chocolate and some indecipherable dark fruits. Smells delicious and tamer than the fresh version. Taste is a fantastic chocolate with slight bitterness. Some cherries among the chocolate. Coffee on the finish. amazingly well balanced. velvety smooth. a deluxe drink experience. A year's aging does wonders for this already fantastic brew.

aforbes10, Dec 29, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured a deep oil brownish black, with velvet deep tan head. Smells of chocolate and coffee. This is a very good RIP but I do prefer a little more of an oily texture in the mouthfeel. Tastes as it smells, I find the alcohol well hidden.

Very well done.

srrn, Dec 27, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle that stated it was for the 06/07 winter so pretty fresh. Was deep black in color even when held against a light. Had a nice dark head that settled down to a constant foamy film with good lacing. Mouthfeel was good but but as creamy as I would have expected. The smell had the obvious chocolate malts smell with sweet malts in there as well. The 10.6 ABV also came thru in the smell which I normally don't like since leads to high alcohol taste which this one had but not too bad. The taste was good but I still prefer Young's Double Choc over this one. Recommend trying. (3.5, RB, T, O)

TexIndy, Dec 27, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Winter 05-06 edition.

Body is absolutely black. One thin finger of light tan head.

Smell is bitter dark chocolate. black licorice, dark fruit. Intense on the nose, it's impressive.

Flavor is very bitter and intense. Dark roasted malt, with bitter hops on the finish. Licorice and dark fruit shows up again. Not a one-dimensional RIS, this is firing on all cylinders.

Mouthfeel is slightly oily, rich but not chewy.

Drinkability is OK. It's a mouthful, high ABV and very intense flavor. One will do it for me tonight. But I'll be back...

ghostwalker, Dec 26, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

A big gracias to Melbatoast98 for a sixer of this!

With the word "Black" in the name of this beer one has certain expectations as to how dark this should be. I don't feel let down after watching the liquid cascade into my glass like an obsidian waterfall. After it's settled a quarter inch of dense tan head sits atop the surface.A slight tilt of the glass reveals legs for days.

Nose is milky chocolate and syrupy burnt caramel. Taste would be very similar but there's a bit of sweetness that reminds me of the outside of a burnt marshmallow. This is silky smooth and the alcohol is almost totally masked. This is a damn fine stout, a definite pleaser.

TheBungyo, Dec 25, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +12%

This beer was a new experiance for me. I am familiar with the stouts, but this stout was unlike them all. I've had this beer numerous times in the past 2 weeks, both from bottle and from tap. Thats how good this is. Real potent. Not a beer that you will want to party with. It has a rich flavor that compliments red meat dishes. Brooklyn brewing company definitely has a winner with this chocolate stout.

Madmax99, Dec 25, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle received in trade with kmpitz2, thanks for the opportunity. 04-05 bottling.

Poured into a heavy glass chalice, formed an partial skim of bubbles over the opaque dark brown/black brew. Bubbles seem to just swirl around, not really any growth or diminishing of head, with light lacing that falls very slowly. Aroma is tanninish creamy black malts, with some hops character as well. Taste is a duel of dark sweetness and bitterness, with the bitterness losing until the hops come on and even up the score. Vinous fruitiness pops up throughout, and alcohol warming quickly takes effect. Mouthfeel is so easy it seems almost thin, and drinkability is very high once you get a little bit of the warmth going on. A little age doesn't hurt this one.

ppoitras, Dec 25, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bible black brew cascaded into my glass with a presence that foretold of the taste extravaganza to come.
It's tan brown head remined me of bread dough rising with a sculpturing that was a delight to behold at every ensuing sip.
The flavor was everything this beer's moniker heralded-- hops with a bitter start, toasted malt with other flavor spangles here and there-sweet maltiness comingled with a tad of coffee perhaps. The 10% ABV makes it self known both in the nose and flavor. (I haven't opened my 2nd bottle yet). The finish is a long lasting copy of the start and a neverending flavor that leaves me wondering when it is going to fade.. At last the finish fades a clean diffusion leaving my tastebuds tantalized for the next sip.
The mouthfeel was so cordial as if my palate claims "this is where I belong" -- the feeling of a heavy bodied all encompasing substance that fit so perfectly it makes me sorry to see the bottle and glass empty.
Drinkability is exceptional even with a 10% ABV-- maybe because of the flavor and mouthfeel, I didn't tend to noitce the alcohol's affect on my constitution.

gueuzeonhigh, Dec 24, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Side by side comparison of this year's (Winter 2006-2007) purchased a month ago, and last year's (Winter 2005-2006) purchased a year ago. Both are 12 oz bottles with slightly different markings on the bottle. I've never aged a Black Chocolate Stout before; I'm hoping it was a good idea.

Both beers allowed to warm slightly after coming out of cold storage and poured into large, identical snifters. For both, the pour is slightly oily and a beautiful, deep brown, beyond the color of cola. Nearly no head on either pour, just some faint wisps of a much lighter brown color on the surface. In the glass both are perfect pitch black with just a hint of brown on the edges. This is not a fair comparison, as the two are at opposite ends of the spectrum, but...the only more beautiful beer that has ever been served to me is the W.12 at the Moan & Dove.

First sniff: this year's. Complex nutty and toasty barley aroma with just a hint of sweetness. Last year's: a distinct note of sweetness above the malty odor. Not as nutty as this year's, but more aromatic. Hard to say which one I like better. The sweetness in the aged one is definitely more powerful, but the new one has a curious complexity to it which could actually be more rewarding.

First sip: this year's. A mouthful of cream with fine bubbles. Slightly bitter with a hint of chocolate. Bitter like espresso, but without any coffee flavor in the malt at all. As I swallow the complexity really comes out: it's like a whole different beer in my mouth, with nutty and chocolately flavors everywhere. Good stuff. The finish is of burnt toast (and that's a good thing).

Last year's: more complexity up front. Slightly fizzier. Chocolate flavors more immediate. There's a sweetness in the front of the tongue that the other doesn't have, but it's very delicate, and not what I was afraid of based just on the smell. Definitely not as creamy, but still milky, and leaves a powerful bitterness clinging to my teeth to let me know I've been drinking high quality stout.

This year's has a little bit of a fresh hay kind of flavor to it, which gives it a certain autumnal quality.

The level of hopping in the beer is in between what you'd expect from an English stout and an American. Storm King Stout and Stone's Russian Imperial Stout are both much more highly hopped, and to my taste, suffer for it. There is a hop bitterness to these beers but it's both subtle and complex. I'm not nearly savvy enough to identify the varieties of hops in these. I think there's more hoppiness in this year's than last year's.

I will also mention that unlike other chocolate stouts such as Rogue's and Young's, all the chocolate in this beer is from chocolate malt -- not from cocoa. I have no prejudice against added chocolate but this beer doesn't need it and the malt shines on its own.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the alcohol content of this beer. It's exactly where it should be (10.6%). There's a very faint alcohol flavor that might bother some not accustomed to drinking high-alcohol-content brews, but it does nothing to damage the flavor and does a lot to bring out the natural flavors of the malt. As the beer warms, there's more alcohol in the aroma, and more sourness.

This is obviously one of my favorite beers of all time, of any style, and I look forward to drinking it all year. It's very smooth and palatable but two bottles is probably as much as anyone should really drink at a time. As for the 2005 vs. 2006 side by side experiment, I like the mellower hop level in last year's better, but everything else about this year's better, especially the texture, but not by enough of a margin to affect my scoring either way. I can't say if aging affected the beer in any meaningful way, except to say that it survived the year despite the abuses of being moved around and pushed to the back of the refrigerator every time it tempted me.

Enjoy it.

hreb, Dec 23, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to blitz134 for the brew.

Pours a nice black color, nice carbonation, nice small tan creamy head which quickly leaves, but leaves a few islands and sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is sligthly licoricey, sweet roasted malts, some hops hovering around, and lots of chocolate/toffee. The taste is awesome of sweet roasted malts, and chocolate, the finish is clean. Nice warming effect in the throat. Medium body, well rounded brew. This is a very nice RIS from Brooklyn, very very tasty. Highly recommended.

Wasatch, Dec 22, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a dark brown or black with a small brown head.

Aroma has a very strong chocolate smell, followed by quite a bit of booze.

Flavor is strong in chocolate as well, with a slight amount of booze. There might be a hint of roasted chocolates, but suddenly the aftertaste takes your breath away with booze burning your lungs. It’s a toss-up whether or not the bitterness comes from the chocolate or coffee.

Mouthful is creamy and foamy.

Drinkability isn’t very high due to the alcohol taste sweeping away the chocolate flavor. If it’s going to be that strong, you’re going to want stronger flavors to catch up to it. Let alone try to mask some of it. On top of that, the flavor that was there was sort of rough and tough.

It should be noted that this beer was tasted right after trying a Goose Island Bourbon Stout. That’s hardly fair for Brooklyn. I did enjoy this beer, it’s much more affordable, and I’d be glad to have another.

terrabyte, Dec 21, 2006