Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

2006/07 vintage, poured from 12oz. bottle into a tulip snifter (consumed 2/12/08)

A: If you were submerged in a vat of this beer, I imagine it'd be akin to being blind, that's how dark this is. Pours like motor oil, with slight ruby edges, just about 100% opaque. A lovely 2-finger dark beige head rises up and begins to immediately leave decent lacing.

S: Smells like a steaming cup of hot chocolate, only it's cold. I detect sweet fig newtons, some roasted breads, plums & dates, and of course, rich chocolate and cocoa! As it warms, it takes on some minor sherry-like aromas as well.

T/M: Bam! Rich, rich chocolate and cocoa right up front, I'm talking huge, chunky chocolate flavors, rich like truffles. The roasted malts are right in your face, and as the beer warms, the dark fruits - raspberries & cherries mostly - begin to develop. An intoxicating bittersweet cocoa finishes things up. This beer is thick, viscous and chewy, with just the right amount of carbonation, just like a brilliant RIS should be.

D: This beer is awesome x 1,000. It's actually too easy to drink, a dangerous sign given the 10+% ABV. Go easy (but get some)!

4.11/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A: Black as the darkest night with a brown not tan, dark brown, head.

S: The smell is just mildly aromatic like a subtle dark chocolate with mildly detectable roasted barley notes.

T: Mmmm. Dark chocolate, with smooth not bitter or sharp coffee undertones. Complex but smooth and easy malt profile.

M: This beer is silky smooth and velvety soft with light but apparent carbonations and a heavy but not over powering body.

D: A little on the sweet side, but with the right pairings it goes down quite nicely. Great after dinner drink.

Notes: This beer is absolutely sensational in the right context. I love it a lot. Mine's from winter 07/08. Yum.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Bottle from the Foodery into the pint glass... Pours deep and opaque black with a medium dark tan head that'll shrink into a dark tan skin over the beer that leaves good lacing. Smells like a RIS, that's for sure- coffee, caramel, robust roasted malts. Tastes like dark chocolate, toffee and then the roasted malts hit. Mouthfeel is smooth, velvety, even with the alcohol presence. I really wish I had bought more than one of these.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to northyorksammy for this beer.
Appearance is deep black with an off-white small head.

Smell is roasted with coffee and pure chocolate. The roasted notes are subtle and the beer smells sweet.

Taste is roasted with notes of chocolate and coffee, followed by a light molasses taste. The alcohol is quite strong and balances the sweetness. Bitterness is a combination of maltbitterness and hops. No real hop aroma in the beer though. I am not sure I really really like this beer. It isn't really complex. Not that it is bad, but it doesn't stick out.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a jet black color with an average brown head that dissipated into a light ring around the glass. The smell is of big roasted and chocolate malt, rubbing alcohol, damp wood, and vanilla. The taste starts off with pruney/wine grape flavors, followed by a wave of alcohol and a roasty chocolate. A nice procession of flavors that blend very well. Not much in the way of hop flavor. The feel is well bodied, fizzy yet has a creamy texture, and finishes slightly sticky and bitter with a small alcohol burn. A very good RIS. You can notice the alcohol but the flavors come around to mask it fairly well. I like that it comes in 6 packs.

Ages very well, drinkability goes up.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

I have been drinking Brooklyn Beers for ages, but for some reason this one always escaped me. I have always been happy with the quality of Brooklyns brews and after researching Imperial Stouts I figured I had to give it a shot.
I got myself a sixpack of Winter 07-08 bottles and I have to say I was impressed. I like stout and I guess I drink it pretty regularly (usually opting for Young's Chocolate, Smith's Oatmeal or old reliable Guinness). The look, smell and taste of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout were top notch. I drank it from a small brandy snifter (which I highly recommend)and I was was totally impressed. This is not a brew to be swilled while watching the game, (it is filling and strong) but to be enjoyed in small quantities, much like a fine brandy/cognac. I recommend it with dessert or by itself with a nice cigar.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Winter 07-08 Release

A: Pours jet black with a thick, creamy brown-tan head. Significant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Roasted malts and chocolate pleasantly fill the nose.

T: Sweet, roasted chocolate dominate.

M: Smooth and creamy when it hits the tongue with a nice smooth, silky finish.

D: Its high ABV does not lend itself normally to high drinkability but it just tastes so darn good! Ok, maybe one more...

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, marked Winter 07-08, into a tulip glass.

Appearance is thick, dark, and black. No light penetrates this brew, which pours with a small, creamy brown head that dissipates rather quickly and minor, pale brown lacing that rains down the sides of the glass.

Smell is primarily of alcohol, but the roasted and sweet malts do come through in the background. Chocolate, caramel/toffee, hints of coffee (although this could just be the roasted overtones).

Taste is where this beer really shines. The alcohol is very warming, and it's definitely prevalent in the flavor profile, but it's balanced well with the roasted malts. No bitterness, and the roasted flavors become stronger as the beer warms (as would be expected). In fact, so does the alcohol. The entire beer just becomes more intense as it warms. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel is thick, rich, creamy, and smooth. Flows all over the palette, with mild carbonation that's perfectly balanced with the texture. Exceptional.

Drinkability is good, but the alcohol definitely isn't hidden. An above-average imperial stout, an exceptional warming seasonal, and one of the better beers from Brooklyn.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

I was SO happy when I wandered into Alibi's (Carlisle, PA) for an after-work treat and found this on tap! It was served in a 16 oz glass with a creamy tan head.

The beverage itself was pitch black and had a wonderful aroma of slightly over baked chocolate cake. The flavor, however, imparted more of a burning alcohol bite on the tongue than the smooth, sweet chocolate I was anticipating (at over 10%, I should have expected that, but the aroma threw me off.) It was more like a warming liquor than the crisp, hoppy beers I usually favor, but I really enjoyed every sip.

This certainly isn't a thin beer, but it wasn't so thick to be described as chewy or coating. The flavor perfectly filled my mouth and lingered on for some time, as did the lacing on the glass - from top to bottom, remnants of the caramel head lined the sides.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Chimay chalice. Poured a jet black liquid. This beer lets no light through. Jet black, with no head, and no lacing. Aroma is molasses and coffee with a bit of toffee. Taste is dark chocolate up front with coffee, dark fruits, molasses, vanilla and finishes with bakers chocolate. What I was amazed with is it hides the 11% alcohol better than any RIS I've drank to this point. Mouthfeel is great, full with an oily coating the lets your mouth soak in the beerdom. I will probably try to get a bottle of this in every trade I do with someone from NY. Great beer.

Appearance - Black with a toffee-colored cap of thick foam. The head retains fairly well, eventually dissipating into a crown.

Smell - Molasses and caramel, a bit of fresh roasted coffee and cocoa. Pleasant.

Taste & mouthfeel - Full-bodied and bittersweet. The flavor shifts between rich, creamy dark chocolate and espresso. Wonderful complexity. The finish is a combination of toffee-like sweetness and bitter burnt bread, with the toffee flavors ultimately lasting a bit longer.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

This poured black opaque into my glass, with a small dark brown head. I could smell it as soon as I cracked open the bottle, obviously there were chocolate tones, with some toffee, coffee, and malts as well. It tasted much like it smelled. Very sweet upfront, with a nice blend of chocolate and and coffee at the end. The alcohol was very noticeable as it went down and warmed me instantly.

Overall, this was a very good stout and was very glad I got to try it. It was even more enjoyable after coming in from the snow.

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I tried the 20707-08 batch and I am quite impressed. It reminds me of Bison Chocolate Stout which is the best chocolate stout I've had to date and this beer falls into my #2 spot. Dark black in color with a very distinct, real chocolate taste upfront. A little bit bubbly on the tongue with a smooth aftertaste.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This one was recommended to me by kbnooshay.

Pours almost completely opaque black with barely perceptible reddish-brown edges. Thick creamy tan head, good retention and sticky lacing all the way to the bottom.

Mouthfeel is very creamy with extremely light carbonation.

Robust roasted chocolate malt flavor; nicely hopped, but not overpowering like some Imperial Stouts. Insane ABV is well blended for the most part, but can be a touch harsh at times. Not for the faint of heart. Leaves a nice warming sensation in the back of the throat and down the esophagus. Perfect beer for cold Rochester Winter evenings.

This one's worth every penny. Looking forward to cellaring a few bottles.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Super black beer with a small tan head that peaks out of the lagoon of dark liquor. That me trying to be poetic but basically saying its a pretty brew.
Smells of sweet chocolate malts, dark fruit and a little molasses. Delicious but a little light for my preference.
Taste is up there with some of my favorite beers. There is a complex layer of flavors that starts with roasted and chocolate malts. Followed by a nice hop bite with a dark fruit chaser and then... sweet Jesus, chocolate, chocolate, chocolate. The after taste is all chocolate and it lingers forever on your tongue and the sides of your mouth. There is also a nice warming of the pallet from the higher ABV, and it stays with your sip all the way down to your stomach. I think I am in love. I doubt I can wait and cellar this beer even though I know it will be even better after some age.

3.94/5  rDev -5.1%

Tasted with 5 other Imperial Stouts. Pours black with creamy light brown head. The aroma is sweet caramel and some chocolate. The taste has definate notes of Alcohol along with the sweetness. Not much bitterness. Definately the sweetest stout of the night.

3.35/5  rDev -19.3%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Almost black with a brown head. The head dissipates to leave a thin film around the glass edge. The aroma is of dark bitter choclate and a slight hint of alcohol. The taste is a bitter and astringent. Too much bitter chooclate and hops? The roasted coffee/toasted malts never come through. The alcohol is high so after one you can feel the warmth. I still try it ever year, but not my favorite big stout.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

12oz bottle into a Duvel Tulip.

Pours a dark black with a little over a finger width of creamy tan head. This retains into a fantastic looking creamy layer that left thick swathes of lace all over the sides of the glass. The aroma is lush is dark chocolate, coffee, burnt bitterness, fresh hops, citrus, and a little heat.

The taste is deep with chocolate sweetness and roasted tones. Finishes with a lingering combo of burnt tones, hop bitterness, and dry heat. The mouthfeel is a heavy medium with a slick, creamy feel. Alcohol is present but adds to the body, providing it with warmth and some extra beef.

This perennial holiday favorite from Brooklyn doesn't disappoint. With deep chocolate notes, a rich, roasty body, and alcohol warmth, it's perfect for Wintertime sipping.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Poured a pitch black with a density so thick no light what so ever passes through.

S - Full chocolate roasted malts we dominate, sweet and inviting up front with toffee tones in the back.

T / M - Like silk! Full, creamy and oh so delish! Coffee and chocolate notes fill the month with full creamy texture, the finish is smooth as well.

D - One of my favorite RIS. I love Brooklyn's styles and this one is top notch. I would have given this a 4.5 or 5 but the ABV @ 10.6% it's reserved for a one and done session! Highly recommended.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

This beer is black as the name suggests. The brown and creamy foam dissipated quickly with some lacing remaining. The aroma is very chocolaty mixed with coffee and some fruity notes.The palate is initially coffee-like with some chocolate flavors from the strongly roasted malt. Winy flavors move in as the beer ends with a fruity and warm finish while a light flavor of hops linger.

The thoughts above were recorded while tasting only the beer. After recording my thoughts I finished the beer while enjoying a gooey, rich chocolate dessert. The beer complimented it perfectly. The beer made the dessert better and the dessert made the beer taste better. The chocolate in the dessert accentuated the roasted malt in beer and subdued some of the more vinous and alcohol notes, which, in my opinion, further improved the flavor.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A- It poured a dark black with a thin tan head that turned into a fine lace that left some sticky spots on the glass.

S- Somewhat sweet. It had some raisin tones along with an alcohol aroma and a touch of chocolate.

T- Chocolate tones, but not as readily apparent as the name would suggest. It was sweet like the aroma. More of the raisin and warming alcohol flavors.

M- Very smooth. It had a full feel and was on the lighter side of carbonation.

D- It's a nice sipper. It seemed to warm up my cold winter day. Flavors were more pronounced as it warmed.

Overall- A good representation of the style. It's a beer I come back to every year in the colder months.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

I have already bought several 6 packs of this one. Was happy to see a display piled to near the ceiling at my local beer store (which was quickly gone down) figured it was time for a review... I had these at cellar temp... cant see drinking this cold it would be a waste. Bottle says brewed for winter 07-08

A- It poured Black with a slight ruby hue when put to the light..its oily but not thick- with a 1 finger tan head the settles very slow.

S- Alcohol,dark fruits and chocolate

T- Dark chocolate and fruits- a lot like the smell- with a perfect warmth from the alcohol in the brew- dark roasted grains with a surprisingly sweet taste -the hops are well blended with the other flavors because it doesn't have a bitter bite at all- excellent layering of flavors.

M- Its very slick not chewy and it might be a bit on the thin side for a imperial -it takes away from mouthfeel but adds to the drinkability...Has more carbonation than other imp stouts Ive had but not to much..

D- Top notch, I love imp Stouts- this one is probably the most drinkable for this style Ive ever had Ive had a couple that taste better maybe but those were 1 and done beers- this I can actually have a few and only the 10.6% stops me. I just cant get enough of this one..which I think thats pretty rare and I had to give this a 5 for drinkability.

I have been meaning to get some more of these to keep around and age for a while- but every time I go get more I seem to end up drinking them. I cant see why some people haven't rated this one higher-- maybe this years brew is better than others...

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Brewed 2006-2007 so it's a year old.

A - Pours a very dark black no light visible through the glass, nice coffee/cocoa head that dissipates quickly. Not much lacing

S - Nothing overpowering but mostly malts and hints of chocolate.

T - Dark chocolate, coffee and malts, it's really smooth and the alcohol is not very noticeable. Gets better as it warms.

D - This is a really enjoyable beer but I couldn't drink more than a couple at a time.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanks to LittleBreeze for this bottle.

Poured jet black and very viscous. Very little head retention and minimal lacy but still looks good. Smell of bitter chocolate and a faint smokey/coffee flavor. Taste is really fantastic. Taste is roast, dark chocolate right up front. It coats your mouth like a mik stout but doesn't have that overriding sweetness. As it warms, some type of fruitness is in there as well. Reminded me of dates that aren't overly sweet. Really nice touch. Lots of flavor but still very clean. A litte bit of fizzy carbonation that threw off some of the smoothness flavor. The alcohol starts to bite a little more at the end but in a pleasurable way. This is a treat!

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

Been achinÂ’ to try this and it does not disappoint. This brew lives up to the name as it is a solid black with a creamy tan head Aroma is milk chocolate, cereal, cocoa and molasses. Taste is tremendous; loads of dark bitter chocolate mixes in with a good bit of burnt coffee and cocoa. Very thick, more like chocolate syrup than hot cocoa. Alcohol is also prevalent but not distracting until it catches up to you.

A rare treat and another world-class brew from Brooklyn.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery