Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Looked interesting, so I bought a single bottle. It poured a motor oil black with a thin brown head.

The smell was soft and full of roasted malt body and chocolate/coffee aroma. The taste had a full body and a soothing chocolate taste as well. I was really surprised by this one. Chocolate tastes were dominant into the aftertaste as well, and the hop profile was medium/low. Carbonation was low, and consistency was nice and thick. I was impressed by how well the high alcohol content merged with the flavor. Much better than others of the style that I've tried.

Wow. I Wasn't expecting a truly authentic chocolate flavor. This was a well-balanced, hearty, stout. I enjoyed it thoroughly and would reccomend it to others. This would make a good winter warmer indeed. Drinkability is good, although it probably should be kept to reason instead of "pounding".

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

Winter 07-08 poured into a pint glass.

Pours an absolutely jet black(maybe the classic black bottle has something to do with it, but at least to me, this looks like shear squid ink) with a pretty decent size head that is almost a light orange; it's the closest that a beer has come to looking like a Halloween Oreo. Pretty intimidating looking beer. The head dissolves at a steady but not alarming rate leaving a pretty much solid, glass encircling lacing.

Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, Milk Chocolate. Probably should have expected that with the name of the beer (hereee's your sign) but this is worth re-emphasizing. It smells like a ton of chocolate. There's some coffee in there as well, and i'm afraid to say it, but there's a slight hint of cooked ground beef. I'm not sure if I like it or not, and I'm not sure if the only reason I smell it is I've spent a good two minutes smelling this beer; I'm just saying this is probably one of the more interesting stouts, at least on the nose, that there are.

Milk chocolate, then an orange slice and a shot of espresso, in that order. There is a ton going on in this beer, and to be honest, I'm not sure just one review will do it justice. There is even some chocolate fudge ice cream bars going on deep in the finish that is really nice. And now there's even some citrus fruit going on. Yeah, this is one beer with a ton going on with it. And now the citrus fruit I had is now coconut/pina colada. And now I've got some banana. Frozen banana...from a chocolate stout? I believe so. Wow. Really nice mid-palate, that's where I'm getting a lot of the banana/coconut/pina colada, really nice finish with the chocolate absolutely exploding. This is a beer I could drink an entire case of and still not get everything. Let's move on before I lose my mind.

Well, let's see what we've got going on in the mouthfeel. There's a lot going on, it pretty much grips the entire palate. Each region has a different flavor going on(the mid and side have the banana/coconut, the rear palate has the chocolate/espresso intensification, the front of the palate has milk chocolate which then switches to coffee which then switches to a combination of the mid/side palate flavors and the rear palate/finish flavors. So in short, yeah, this feels pretty good. Smooth as anything, an absolute epic in each sip with more going on than an episode of Lost.

Drinkability, well, yeah, it's almost 11% ABV, so it can't be that high. It's a sipping beer that almost defines sipping beers. There's so much going on that the enjoyment of one of them is as much enjoyment as two or three of any other beer(with the added bonus that the alcohol is almost equivalent to the aforementioned beer that you drink two/three of). There's a lot going on, and it only gets more complex as it gets warmer. But with it's high ABV, and the time it takes to drink one, it's hard to imagine drinking more than one in a night; this compares with any of the great, complex after dinner beers and is something that the thought of aging brings delusions of grandeur. Probably the most complex fresh beer I've ever had and an absolute winter staple from now on.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

The cold weather is now welcome, Mr. Oliver's magic brew has landed.

Pours out with an opaque ruby-brown tone and a thin lacy head. Just enough residual malts and sugars for the beer to rim the glass when swirled. Very faint carbonation, just enough to catch your attention for a moment.

The smell was once again magnificent. Pronounced hints of malt, grain and chocolate. The first sip of this year's was slightly different than the past few years. This beer was a bit sweeter, as I surmised from the rimming. The sweet and the chocolate gave this a very crisp finish, probably the crispest I can remember, although I have a 95-96 bottle in the cellar.

Mouthfeel was great, as the grains and the chocolate really gave the old taste buds a workout. The sweetness added an interesting dimension.

This is a highly drinkable brew that I believe will improve with age. Have a few this year and put the rest away til 2012.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Sampled on tap at The Spot in Bethel, CT
Very nice appearance deep black with great lacing on the glass. Pretty typical on the nose nothing great but it hits all the major points chocolate, caramel, dark roasted malts with spicy hops underneath. The taste is nice fairly sweet but well balanced by bitter hops not a typical american RIS it is much more subtle in the hoppiness, which I like. The mouthfeel is nice also, mine was served too cold but as it warmed the fullness and smoothness of this beer began to come through. Drinkability is good also the 10+ abv is well hidden here in a balanced beer, I've had better but this isn't bad

3.41/5  rDev -17.8%

Pours a great dark black with good head and decent lacing. Has a slight chocolate scent, along with a bit of roasted grains, but it's not very strong. Taste has little (bitter) chocolate, little roasted grains, and little of anything beyond the heavy alcohol. Goes down all right for an imperial, a little rough. Nice to try, but nothing outstanding in it.

EDIT/UPDATE: Much better. Don't know if I had a bad batch, my taste buds are craft beer better, or something else, but I've really enjoyed this beer much more. Nice chocolate and stout tones without being too alcohol hot.

4.4/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to NCSUDO for the sample. I tried this at the GABF and wanted a full 12 oz. sample so I could explore it further and review it.

Pours a 2 finger head with good retention. Black in color.

Smell of caramel malts, chocolate malts, undertones of roasted malts.

Taste is perfectly balanced. Nice sweetness from the caramel malts and there seems to be a flow into the chocolate malts, the roasted malting is just an undertone for balance and is not in your face and abrasive. Finishes with a nice hop bitterness. This beer is total balance. Everything mends together so well.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy and moderately carbonated. The malts are thick and almost syrupy.

Such balance makes for a great session beer. I don't care that this beer is 10.6% alcohol. I can't tell. I wish I had another one.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Enjoyed on Nitro-tap at Pazzo's Pizza Pub. Although I have drank my share of this beer in the past, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to have it in it's nitro-fused version. The beer is delivered to the bar with a heavily viscous black with a tan, mousse-like froth resting at the top of the glass. Tough to fight through the foam and obtain that first sip. Meanwhile, filling aromas of highly roasted malt, espresso, malty / nutty scents, and an unusual lactose fill the round out the olfactories. Flavors of espresso, cocoa powder, and an underlying sweet maltiness set the base for the brew, the show some light caramel, vanilla, pecan, and light esters of dates, figs, and grapes. The nitrous seems to mellow the flavors considerably, while giving a sharp tart taste -- akin to lactic acid. The mouthfeel, while initially very creamy, later resides to normal levels and is as easy to drink as any other versions of the beer. Always a fantastic beer, but the Nitro-tap did not hold the luster that I had anticipated.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

i've done areview on this before but i felt the need to sit down and do it properly, pours a beautiful oily black. nice brown head that fades quick but it still gives a good presentation, the smell is of choclate, malts and well more chocolate and some alcohol. anxiously i lift the glass and pour into my mouth, very smooth, very think and velvety. i taste roasted chocolate, i taste sugar, i taste lots of alcohol, and some hairspray??? joking but... theres something potent there. best winter beer out there best stout i've had so far. i recomend for everyone atleast once..

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

I tried this last night and had mixed feelings. I decided to try another one today, then review it.

I'm enjoying my second bottle much more than my first.

I poured this into a standard pint glass. This stuff is thick and dark! It looked like chocolate syrup! The head was thick, dense and dark brown.

I smelled mostly chocolate, coffee, and toasted/burnt malts.

The taste doesn't hit you all at once. Lots of back and forth between chocolate and coffee. Strong after taste of coffee. Alcohol is slightly noticeable.

This is a great seasonal brew. I could enjoy it in the summer, but I think this would be best enjoyed near a fireplace after a few hours of skiing or snowmobiling.

3.96/5  rDev -4.6%

This is a stout that drinkers will love or hate, I imagine. It is easily the darkest, most alcoholic, and most assertive stout I tasted on a roundup of several domestic stouts, including several imperials. Upon opening the 12 oz bottle, I was immediately confronted by a Hershey's syrup smell. The pour was viscous and black, with a sinister, shiny, tan head - so far, so good. The head disappeared quickly albeit with substantial lacing. The taste, of course, is what will divide the audience. Imposing roasted malt flavor, more chocolate than coffee, with not much bitterness. There's a significant alcoholic presence, which is not surprising considering the 10.6% ABV. The taste is truly complex and continues to evolve on the tongue well past the swallow.

Each taste seemed to leave me with a different impression, from inticingly unique to wincingly harsh. For this reason I rated the drinkability lowest. I still don't quite know what to think, but I don't think I will rush out to buy a case to keep on hand. I would be really curious to see what this tastes like on tap - I suspect it is more appealing "live." So how does it compare to Guinness, the stout standard? I prefer it to Guiness for it's complexity and lack of Guinness's burnt, salty taste. However, it is "hard core" and like hardcore, perhaps too much of a good thing.

4.88/5  rDev +17.6%

This dark beer does wonders to the taste pallet. It is a rich malty beer but does not over do it. The time line of the taste is great, starts off strong with a chocolate taste and ends with a smooth after taste of the roasted malt. I aged the beer for a year, did change the beer a little but either way its great just as if it just came right from the brewery yesterday.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice looking label. 2007 vintage.

Pours thick and opaque with a brown cloud like head.

Booze, liquorice, coffee, but not too much chocolate in the nose.

Whoa. First thoughts upon tasting: Big, chocolate, and smooth. Starts sweet with plenty of dark chocolate then a hit of cherry and blackberry in the middle. Finishes with espresso, roasty, and liquorice flavors.

Full bodied big ass beer with a chewy texture. The finish is surprisingly light almost dry. Alcohol is quite apparent making this a sipper. Highly recommended .

4.46/5  rDev +7.5%

Whew. I didn't see this one was over 10%. Better take it easy.

Beautifully black body. Light to medium brown head that stayed even after 10 minutes of decanting. Loads of lacing.

The stout is there but there is a huge caramel/toffee aroma. The chocolate comes in third and the stout characteristics bring up the rear. There's got to be a lot of lactose in this beer because there is no alcohol aroma whatsoever.

The stout show up a bit more in the taste; still loads of lactose and chocolate flavor. No alcohol until it starts warming in your stomach. Starts like a dessert and finishes like a stout.

Thick, creamy and coating. This is where that lactose comes into play. Hell, that why lactose was invented. Carbonation is low but full. Never had a better example in this style for how it should feel.

My only complaint is that I wish the normal stout flavors had a bit more presence. But, that's just if I had to complain. I'm bringing a couple bottles of this one down to my father in law's for Christmas to break the ice for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

A- Very dark beer, almost like oil. Pours well with a thick head

S- Good smell, a little on the strong side.

T- Excellent taste. Many different flavors. Very pronounced chocolate taste with a bitter aftertaste.

M- Little more bitter than most people would like. I enjoy stouts so I thought it was a perfect combination between the mouthfeel and taste.

D- As above, little bitter for most people I know, it was smooth and not at all uncomfortable after the second beer. Goes down easy.

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This beer poured an opaque black with about a three finger dark tan head. The smell is of roasted malts and a fruitiness that's hard to put my finger on. Maybe raisins or plums or something. The taste is very strong with a definite alcohol presence. That 10.6% is making itself known. The taste predominantly bitter-sweet chocolate with alternating sips giving away to other flavors like malts and maybe molasses or prunes. A very complex beer worth sitting down and savoring. The mouthfeel is very thick, almost like a watery milkshake with slight warming from the alcohol, a very pleasant drink. I'll definitely be picking this up again sometime.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

"Limited Bottling-Winter '05-'06"

a: Pours very dark black, no light is penetrating this beer, looks like motor oil. Very little head, deep tan in color. Lacing is average at best.

s: Sweet malty chocolate and prunes dominate the nose.

t: Coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, taste is very similar to smell, the chocolate malt adds some acidity and slight bitterness. Ends with some hop bitterness, adding depth and balance.

m: As full bodied as you can get, feels like oil or syrup, very thick and creamy yet smooth. Sticks to the tongue.

d: It's filling, rich and potent making it a sipping beer that's as far from a session beer as you can get. Would not want more than one in a sitting. More drinkable than most RISs, hard to believe its 10% abv, ages quite well too.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

I got this one in a trade with Wasatch. Thanks John!

First off, I've had this brew before, years ago, I remember loving it but it was at a time that I wasn't in to reviewing beers. So, here goes:

It pours from 12oz bottle(label says: Limited bottling-Winter 06-07) an absolutely pitch black with a very small head of foam, typical for the style. After a few minutes, the foam recedes to just a ring around half of my glass. Yep, one half has some foam, the other half has no foam at all.

The smell has big notes of chocolate,(duh) sweet and roasted malt, dark fruit, and alcohol.

The taste is very chocolatey at first, overpowering everything else but...the next sips reveals roasted malt, toffee, some dark chocolate, raisin, plum, molasses...very complex. Just what I want and expect from a RIS. Yummy. It's medium bodied and the carbonation is lightly done and it finishes with that almost heavenly dark chocolate bitterness. I have to say, the alcohol definitely gives me some warming during and after the swallow but it doesn't interfere with the actual flavour at all. Great sipping brew, as it *should* be. Man, I love the style and this one carries the banner very nicely. I'm *so* glad I got a chance to try it again. Thanks again, John!

Bottom line: A very tasty and palate pleasing RIS that I can only highly recommend. My hat is off to Brooklyn Brewing.

4.29/5  rDev +3.4%

During a Halloween visit to RFD in Washington DC, I tried this wonderful expression of Russian Imperial Stout. What says "trick or treat" like a pint of chocolate?

Served in a goblet at the correct temperature, this stout introduces itself with an inch thick head of beige foam; eventually, it ebbs down the side of the glass leaving in its' wake a thin lace along the side. The settled product is pitch black and waiting...

Initially, I detected the bitter traces of dark chocolate with a slight hint of the molasses. Velvety smooth mouthfeel with malty aftertaste. The one flaw was the lack of nose, but then this has never been a strongpoint of mine either.

In any case, I enjoyed this one. While it cannot compare with my favorite Russian Imperial, Old Rasputin, it is an exceptional quaff that, like anything from this great brewery, is always worth seeking, finding, enjoying and reveiwing. Cheers!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

2007-08 bottle, refrigerated and poured into a Duvel tulip. Purchased for 8.99 a 6-pack at the Village Pump in College Park, MD

A: Pitch black with a tan head

S: Chocolate, alcohol, dark malts. I want to say i smell dark fruits - figs being the biggest. Alcohol becomes prominent as the beer warms up.

T:Chocolate, alcohol.I can taste both, a sweet chocolate and a bitter chocolate. heavily roasted/burnt malts maybe? This burnt malt does add a lovely dimension to the beer and is the aftertaste.This years bottling seems a little hot right now. I'm going to give the rest of this 6-pack a few months at least.

M: Feels great.Mildly tingly while retaining the thick consistency on the tongue

D: Not as good as the 06-07 when i had it fresh, simply because the alcohol is a little harsh. Still, a very good sipper.

**Edit 10 Jan 2012**
I saved a few bottles of the 07-08 release, and am finally getting to revisit this beer. The nose is delectable, with a blend of dark and chocolate, a little licorice, some anise, a little vanilla, a little chalk. A little alcohol is apparent as well, lending a mildly fruity character to the nose. A little bit of sherry like oxidation is also present.
The palate is also very, very good, with a blend of licorice, anise, cocoa and coffee. Oxidation is moderate, with some sherry flavors. None of the cardboard that I'd feared (I guess Brooklyn knows how to package beers, eh?), though the finish is a little thin and lacking in depth. Fruitier on the finish than the nose would lead you believe. The carbonation is also a touch high, lending an acidic bite that works with the mild grainy acidity that's also present. This beer has aged very gracefully, I'm upping my score for the taste and overall impression from 3.5 to 4, smell from 4 to 4.5 and dropping the mouthfeel score from 4 to 3.5

**Edit 17 Jan 2014**

My last bottle of the 07-08 bottling. The nose does have a mild cereal/ cocoa puff character along with dusty cocoa, a touch of spice ( anise, pepper)some sherry, a touch of prunes. The palate is a blend of roasted grains, a touch of tartness/ grainy acidity, some cocoa, a little bit of earth, some spice. A little bit of fruit is also present, bit this seems to have dulled a little bit. Still, a very good straight up RIS. 3.5/3.5/4

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours out black as oil, tops off with a 2 finger frothy dark brown head which lingers for a good minute and a half, leaving a nice lacy trail down to the stout.

Smells strongly of hops, a little alcohol, smells exactly like the inside of a brewery.

Wonderful full thick mouthfeel, bitter hoppy black coffee bite, no alcohol zing. Smooth and creamy. Not as chocolate as I thought it would be, the roasted malt flavor is dominant. Nice sipping beer. This is the 07-08 release.

I'll bet it gets better in a few months, I think I'll get another case to save. Glad I bought it.

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had been waiting for this one to arrive locally and today was finally the day.

A: Poures a nice dark coffee black with a huge thunderous head made up of millions of tiny bubbles. The head lasted and produced beautiful patches of lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Nice rich dark roasted malt aroma. Chocolate, Sweet Toffee, Mild Coffee tones, and burnt brown sugar.

T: Starts nice and bitter with the charred malt coming thru. The sweet yet bitter chocolate appears in the middle and carrys thru the finish.

M: Nice and full bodied. A very rich creamy beer.

D: Nice for an RIS, not even a hint of the ABV on this one.

Overall: A wonderful beer by Brooklyn and if I may profess the best damn stout I can buy off the shelf in Florida. I picked up 12 of these bad boys and may grab another 12 to get me thru the not so harsh winter.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

07-08 Vintage:

Pours an opaque, rich black color with some light brown frothy, creamy head that sits on top. A fair amount of lacing sticks around on this one, and comes back with every swirl. Smell is of roasted malt, and some hints of chocolate. Taste is bitter at first then a sweet middle before the rich finish of dried fruit, and some dark chocolate. Very creamy mouthfeeling. I seem to have enjoyed this one more so than the year old version.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This poured black with a 1 inch dark chocolate head that had some staying power.. and laced the glass quite well for most of the beer.

smell was more subdued that i expected, but had tones of caramel and roasted malt with a slight floral nose.

taste was of roasted, but not too burnt, malt, maybe some licorice, brown sugar, and molasses. very well balanced IMO. There was very little hop flavor... this one was mostly thick and malty, just as i prefer.

the mouthfeel was creamy, thick, oily, and mouth coating, just as a RIS should be.

The 10.6 ABV was well disguised but it did warm you as you drank it.. goes down so well this one could get you in trouble.

I need to figure out how much of this i need to get ahold of to last me until next year.. man i wish this was local to me!

3.84/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle is labeled Winter 07-08. Looks nice. Pours black as night with a one finger dark tan head that recedes forming a thin layer that sticks around. Spotty lacing around the glass. So far so good. Smell is dominated by alcohol. Some burnt malts and chocolate. As for taste, disappointingly boring. Lots of roasted malt, some chocolate, prevalent alcohol...thats really about it. Nice velvety smooth mouthfeel with just a little bite at the end. Warming effect from the alcohol. I've had plenty of stouts that were better. I'm going to let this one age a bit. It begs for it.

Same Winter 07-08 bottling after 7-8 months at 65 F:

Alcohol has toned down a bit. Dark chocolate has really come in. Almost tastes like baker's chocolate. It seems this beer needs a couple years at least to peak. Knowing Garrett Oliver and food, maybe he just brewed this for rich dessert recipes.

Fresh Winter 08-09 bottling.

Have I really just developed that much more of a taste for these big RIS's or have they really worked on this recipe? I really like this better than last year's. Alcohol is much less dominant. Same big roasted flavors but more pronounced coffee and chocolate notes to complement it. Not bad at all. Score has been adjusted.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Decided to grab this beer on a whim while shopping at a local beer and wine emporium nearby. It was my first of any Brooklyn beer, and in result of drinking this masterpiece; I will be trying as many of their brewings in the near future.

A - The blackest of blacks. This beer looks like it could be used as an alternative fuel source for the winter months. It's head is espresso-like, very dark. It's a mighty fine brew to admire against the light (even though barely any light makes it through).

S - Roasted, toasted, and boasted with bold aromas. I'm getting mostly bitter-sweet chocolate, espresso notes, roasted malt, and perhaps a slight subtlety of fruitiness (cherry).

T - Absolutely wonderful, all around. It's not nearly as bitter as most stouts, and the alcohol isn't as up front as I expected it to be being so high of an ABV. Pretty much the same as the smell in the taste department, although a bit more sweetness comes through. Very nice.

M - The highlight of this beer is how smooth and creamy it is. It's like velvet on my tongue, with just a sight carbonated feel. Perfect.

D - As much as I'd like to say I'd like to session with this beer; I couldn't. It's just a little too strong and heavy to have more than a couple of these. But, it's perfect to have just one or two after dinner to relax on a cold night.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery