Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Jacobob10

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

What a fancy looking bottle.

Pours out black with a dark tan head. One of the darkest colored heads I've ever seen. Looked like motor oil as it made the journey from the bottle to my glass. Burnt malts coupled with some moderate hops made up the aroma. Nice taste. Molasses, chocolate, and coffee are all present here. The alcohol presence could not go unnoticed though. And, honestly, it made it a little tough to drink. I enjoyed this beer, but I wouldn't be able to drink too many. Probably would be ideal for cellaring.

***Update*** (2/10/06) - I brought down the Smell and Mouthfeel each by 0.5. I just tried it again and it really just leaves a very bitter finish. A little tough to drink, but it still tastes pretty darn good.

02-02-2005 00:26:58 | More by Jacobob10
beerdrifter

Germany

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Very thick pour with a nice black body and caramel head with decent retention. Nice roasty, fruity aroma with a hint that you're really going to taste the high alcohol. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Very smooth mouthfeel and an unbelievable chocolate flavor that all but hides the alcohol. Very drinkable for such a seemingly heavy beer. Slightly bitter with a pleasant complex after taste. Definitely in my top ten!

02-01-2005 23:34:26 | More by beerdrifter
santoslhalper

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

2004-2005 edition.

Appearence: Pours a normal black with decently rich fomay head.

Smell: The roasted malt smell is wonderful to sniff. The bottle claims this beer uses 6 different malts, and I believe it.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste of this beer is a kind of mediocre chocolate flavor, but with other ingrediants that compliment that. The chocolate taste isn't too good, but the malty sweet goodness is excellent. The focus of this beer should not have been the chocolate, but it still tastes good. The mouthfeel is full and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Not a bad beer, but can't hold a candle to Rogue Chocolate Stout. I enjoyed it, that's for sure, but probably couldn't enjoy another one. This is a beer you have to be in the mood for.

01-31-2005 04:06:12 | More by santoslhalper
JackStraw22

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

This is the 2004-05 edition. Pours a typically black body, with a nice dark, caramel head, reasonable retention. There's a wonderful sweet aroma, tons of chocolate. Also some fruitiness. The taste is awesome. For as sweet as this is, it isn't overbearing, and the high alcohol doesn't make an appearance in the mouth, what a delight. The mocha taste in this is really good, and just a hint of bitterness to give some balance. I could drink these all night.

01-31-2005 01:32:41 | More by JackStraw22
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

A pitch black stout with a wonderful coffee colour head. Smells of rich quality chocolate. Taste of course is choclate too. But a little bit too much alcohol burn in it. Its pretty easy drinking but you can really tell you get a little extra in this beer. The alcohol is a little too close to the surface. I prefer it felt but not tasted. This is however a pretty good stout with a rich chocolate taste and only the aftertaste brings it down a little in my opinion.

01-29-2005 04:15:24 | More by SaunaKing
Erix

Vermont

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

From bottle poured in pint glass.
Appearance: Well, its hard for an Imperial Stout (or American Double Stout?) to look much better than this. Absolutely black, with a dark, slowly developing head. Looks nice and thick.
Smell: Wonderfully dark, sweet chocolate. Hew did they ever get this much chocolate scent in here without using chocolate? Truly fantastic.
Taste: Bitter burnt chocolatey goodness all around! Wow, this is delicious. I've worked my way through about half the case despite my best attempts to pace myself, and it grows on me more with each bottle. Sweeter than you expect, the hops really play around with the roastiness to accentuate, rather than overwhelm, this malty backbone. Finishes with a soft, thick, coating malt sweetness. Well hidden alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and almost creamy, the bitterness doesnt pucker your mouth and shrivel your tongue like I often anticipate in a beer this color and strength. Great stuff.
Drinkability: Very easy to down this beer. A beverage this great and a budget as small as mine make it a must to never have more than one bottle chilled at any time.

01-26-2005 03:29:04 | More by Erix
maccroz

Cambodia

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

I was amazed to find out that this is an 8.5% ABV beer. It hardly tastes of alcohol at all.

This beer pours like motor oil. It appears to have the same color and viscosity of used engine oil with a dark tan frothy head to top it off.

The first taste was a bit surprising. It's not bitter like most beers its color, instead it tastes of a chocolate syrup with a chalky texture. It's quite sweet, and has a complex lingering aftertaste.

Six of these beers will be more than enough for any advocate as they are more of a dessert beer than a drinkin' brew.

01-22-2005 21:39:47 | More by maccroz
ram3139

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Dark and forboding. Opaque black with a dark tan head. Head was thin and didnt last too long.

Smell: Not too strong, roasted coffee/chocolate with a very slight whiff of alcohol.

Taste: Excellent. Starts out with a blast of coffee, chocolate and a bunch of others i cant put my finger on. Nothing really dominates until the end, when the chocolate lingers on the palate indefinetly. Drink a few, and you can almost taste it for the rest of the night. A little bit of alcohol warming at the end, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Very good. Not watery by any means, but with medium carbonation it doesnt have a real 'heavy'.

Drinkability: As I said, not a real heavy beer, but it did fill me up. A few is no problem, but I don't think it would be a great sesssion beer, at least not for me. But with ~9%abv, you wouldn't want to down it like guinness anyway.

Overall, I love this beer. its a winter brew, but I plan on stashing a few 6 packs away for the summer.

01-14-2005 02:34:25 | More by ram3139
connecticutpoet

Winter 2004-2005 bottling.

This was a VERY deep brown, almost opaque beer with a one finger tan head. It looked promising.

The aroma was of rich dark roasted malt, with hints of cocoa. Quite interesting, something I have never noticed before, even with Sam Adams Chocolate Bock.

The taste was of smooth roasted malt and bitter chocolate, with a coffee aftertaste. Some alcohol was noticeable, but it didn't taste like an 8.5 % ABV brew.

This was really an excellent stout, and if you can find it, do yourself a favor and get some.

01-09-2005 17:20:34 | More by connecticutpoet
necoadam

4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured out a blacker than black color with a nice tan head that went to lacing eventually. I thought the beer was going to swallow the light in the room with it being so dark.

Smell was nice. Roasted malts with a nice underlying aroma of coffee and dark ripe fruit. A tad of hops hiding at times to give it a balancing effect.

Taste was nice. Roasted malts along with some roasted coffee beans strike the palate first. Hops are present and welcoming actually. Towards the end the chocolate kicks in and really balances this beer very well.

Mouthfeel was full bodied and carbonation was low to medium. Flavors really came through.

I'm sorry I didn't grab a six pack of this stuff last year. I saw it but decided not to get it. Dumb move. I'll grab a 6 of this every winter. Great, great stuff.

01-06-2005 20:53:31 | More by necoadam
sulldaddy

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

04-05 bottling. I am drinking in a flute glass at room temp. The beer pours a pitch black into my glass with an immense tan creamy silky head foaming up 2.5 inches. Leaving some tight latticework as it fades to a robust surface layer. Aroma is chocolate, raisins, white grape, some espresso and a hint of roasted malt as well.
First sip, introduces a sublimely smooth and creamy concoction onto my palate. Such a rich brew and so easy to imbibe!
Very mild rolling carbonation almost gives the impression of a cask ale. Flavor starts mild with some roasted malt and chocolate, this rolls to some sweeter chocolate and finishes with a bit of espresso bitter mixing with the sweet chocolate, I guess similar to a mocha. Very nice mix and definitely a malt lovers paradise! This brew is rather large and I find it incredibly easy to drink.
This year's batch isnt as bitter as others, and I rather enjoy it. Give it a shot if you can!

01-06-2005 03:27:41 | More by sulldaddy
hustlemuscle

4.4/5  rDev +6%

The neck label says Winter 2004-2005, and "Brooklyn Brewery, Utica, NY."

Pours solid black, with a finger's width of cocoa colored, dense looking head. As I wait for my second to warm, the head has receeded to a thing covering- but left a nearly opaque lace as it went down. Very pleasing, it brings with it a fine sense of anticipation, and does not disappoint.

Except for the nose. A bit acrid, it smells as it the roasted malts were a bit burnt, and a touch too much of alchohol. Sugery and fruity alchohol. At least that is what I thought of a cooler version. It mellows nicely as it warms, and gets an extra half point.

Very smooth chocolate toasted coffee malts, molded into a very smooth and complete package. A nice fruity touch, plums? comes out as it goes down.

I wrote in my notes 'very smooth, with a tiny touch of alchohol tang at the end' but with another in front of me, a bit warmer, the tiny touch becomes almost nothing.

Very smooth, silky, velvety, whatever metaphore you want to use for it. Goes down very nicely, wich makes it a great sipper. Certainly a very, very nice beer.

That said, I just stuck one in the closet, to see how it tastes next year! Interesting also to see it's hourly evolution as it warms, as well.

01-04-2005 04:45:48 | More by hustlemuscle
aquatonex

3.53/5  rDev -14.9%

My second chocolate stout, not as a good as Young's...

Pours jet black with no head. There was a little dirty lacing. Smells strong with heavy roasted malts, hops, and chocolate at the end of the nose. Minimal carbonation. At first, you taste the roasted malts. Then, the bitterness comes over your tongue very strongly, first hops then the cocoa. Very genuine cocoa taste, but also quite bitter. Bitterness lasts with you after your swallow due to the thickness of the brew. Although it is pretty good, I'd rather have Young's.

01-02-2005 00:30:25 | More by aquatonex
mentor

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Limited bottling (winter '03-'04) and cellared for 6 months by myself. Purchased from Norm's Beer & Wine (near DC) in fall 2004 and consumed in December 2004. 12 oz bottle poured thick and with a half-finger brown head that quickly settled to a partial ring around the inside of the mug. Pitch black, couldn't see through this one at all. Smelled chocolate, some roast, licorice, and a faint grainy and alcohol-ish kind of 'barleywine sweet'. Thick mouthfeel. Coffee roast blended really well with a rich chocolate. A fine chocolate, not a dry or waxy cheap chocolate. Plum was noticable as was molasses (with some searching). Dry start, followed by the dry rough roast and finishing somewhere between sweet and dry. Boy, this was a nice stout. The flavor persisted just a short time, as the thick beer clung to my tongue, allowing me to reflect on this beer with a pleasant chocolatey flavor.

12-31-2004 04:22:08 | More by mentor
Hibernator

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout
Limited Bottling - Winter '04 - '05

This could be the most excited I've been about a beer in a while. Always a highly anticipated winter time classic for me, I was glad to pick up a six pack this evening.

When my friends and I were about 20 years old, we ordered a log of this from the Brooklyn Brewery. We served the beer with Hershey chocolates and strawberries. It was a great night and really opened my eyes to the wonders of the craft beer movement. We had friends who rarely stepped outside the Budweiser box and were drinking pints of this that night and loving it.

Little did I know then that my friends and I were ahead of our time as far as great beer goes.

As for this review...

I served the Brooklyn BCS in a tulip glass. This is one beer that will age well with time. Pours a very dark shade of black with an attractive tannish-brown head. Dirty brown sticky lacings cling all over the sides of the glass.

Strong whiffs of espresso, molasses and berries.

A creamy and full mouthfeel. Roasted coffee & imported chocolate flavors dominate the palate. Awesome smokey and roasted malts. Rasberry tartness interjects an espresso bitterness. There is a well represented hop bitterness with each sip, but the chocolate complexities take charge. A very slight alcohol warmth on the finish, but not as prominent as in years past.

What a beautifully well-balanced beer. One of the better imperial stouts I have ever had. Becomes more enjoyable as it warms up to room temperature.

A true gem and highly recommended.

12-22-2004 02:08:09 | More by Hibernator
Truh

New Hampshire

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

Got lost in a grove of cocoa trees with this one on 12/19/2004. 16-oz. pour (when it should have been a 10-oz pour according to the board) at the Sunset Cantina.

Thick, wool blanket down of Silver Surfer head that receded and laced like a sputtering black hole. No moon blackest night hue, like the edge of the horizon on a winter night, in the dark, with eyes bolted shut. Chocolate and cocoa predominate on the mouth, with a Galactacus of sweet alcohol bite that shivers down to the metatarsals, practically splintering them. A bit further along, a prune and black licorice chutney gloms around and leaves a scorched earth policy down the tongue and into the throat; tonsils suffering from the plague. Almost a funky exoskeleton of malt that feels oddly wraith-like on the mouth. Generous, but lacking something.

12-21-2004 21:44:38 | More by Truh
tweeder263

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours out black with dark tan 1 finger head. Super dark no light shining through this one.Smell is very typical of russian stouts and i cant quite pinpoint what it is but its a black licorice smell ,and i hate licorice, but in these its so sweet and subtle its very enjoyable.taste is licorice up front that changes over to a nice bittering hop that slowly fades into hints of coffee that linger nicely. This beer gets better as it warms.A nice stout that i plan to enjoy again.

12-21-2004 02:16:00 | More by tweeder263
MuddyFeet

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Bought a six-pack of the '03-'04 batch over a year ago and put it in storage until this weekend. Such a good idea. The beer poured a midnight black with a thick, brown head that never went away. The lace clung to the glass extremely stubbornly the whole time while I was drinking it. As soon as I opened up the bottle aromas of chocolate and rich malts were wafting out. With the pour the aroma just got stronger. The hops are slightly bitter, but balanced with rich malts. Chocolate is (of course) ever so very present but coffee and molasses also come through on the tongue. I aged this a year, I can only imagine what it would've tasted in a cask. Do they have that? After two, I took notice that the alcohol is a lot higher than the flavor lets on. I limited myself to two, but because of how extremely rich this beer is I do not know if my palate cannot take a third without burning out.

12-20-2004 20:17:47 | More by MuddyFeet
Higravity

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Well the smell is a little weak or I should quit smoking. The body is as good as it gets just thick as hell with light carbonation. Of course this beer is some poetic saying of holy shit it is black, but it does get a tanish head that falls back quickly. I have had several in one sitting but this beer is better enjoyed in small doses. Now to the taste of this large black stout. Just as imagination tempts as roasted as burnt barely, almost like eating coffe beans but better. Truly a thing of beauty.

12-15-2004 02:13:27 | More by Higravity
jvajda

2.6/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance: Black as night with no head.
Smell: Bitter and chocolatey notes.
Taste: It doesn't even taste like beer. It's like slightly carbonated milk chocolate. Not too bad overall, but it get's worse as it warms. This should be named "Brooklyn Old Chocolate Milk".
Mouthfeel: Creamy yet dull.
Drinkability: Half of one of these is more than enough.

12-04-2004 08:41:40 | More by jvajda
beveragecaptain

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Jet black. Held up to a lamp, I could detect no light coming through my glass. That beautiful dark brown head that looks so amazing in certain stouts and porters, and plenty of it. Roasted malts in the nose. Strong roasted coffee flavor with chocolate. Enough hop bitterness to balance. Harsh flavors, a little like sipping through an ash tray, although that makes it sound bad when it's really not. Still, it could definitely benefit from some aging. Full mouthfeel. Nice warming from the alcohol, which feels like it is evaporating in your mouth. A damn good beer, my favorite from Brooklyn Brewery, at least my favorite of their bottled beers.

12-03-2004 08:04:42 | More by beveragecaptain
Globetrotter

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

This has been on my gottahave list for some time, so when I saw the bottle at the One Stop Liquors in Johnson City, I pounced upon it. Then I sent it via air freight to Moscow, where I finally consumated the courtship on 12/02/04. Label notes in several places that this is a limited bottling for winter '04-'05. Well, let me tell you that winter has more than started in Moscow, so I felt real good about popping this baby open.

Pours a deep dark brown under a 1/2 finger tan head that settles fairly quickly to film, leaving a touch of lace. Bit disappointed there. Not much in the nose at first, but as it warmed, chocolate and some mint (mint chocolate chip?) came through. Further warming yielded some nice roastiness later. The mouth is very prickly and fairly light - appropriate but not spectacular. Wonderful taste, though: chocolate is prominent, supplemented by caramel and a touch of roasted nuts and some plum. The finish features a strong flowery hop bitterness, enhanced by the chocolate but assertive on its own. The sweet and bitter walk hand in hand into the sunset of the aftertaste, leaving a very happy mouth. Very, very nice product.

12-02-2004 19:33:39 | More by Globetrotter
orbitalr0x

Winter '03-'04 vintage:
Deep dark black with a sticky 1" tan head. Thick pour that lets a tiny brown sliver shine out from behind the light. Huge dark chocolate coffee nose with vibrant roasted maltiness. WOW...the nose is amazing and I can't stop smelling it. Make your nose happy and do the same.

First sip is a upfront with a huge roasted, burnt malt flavor, in which lies notes of dark chocolate, ground coffee and molasses. Flavors explode on your tongue and don't hold back. Nice and thick with slight warming acohol notes.

Mouthfeel is velvety creamy with a wonderful body and good carbonation. Drinkability is good as well...a super tasty brew that will warm you up on a cold night. Many thanks to kmpitz2 for the opportunity to try this brew.

12-01-2004 03:58:42 | More by orbitalr0x
dippy

3.9/5  rDev -6%

2004-2005 bottle
Upon pouring this beauty I fell in love with the head. It looked like frothy chocolate milk. Nice dark beer makes my mouth water.

Smells sweet an chocolaty, fitting, given it's name.

Tastes like a dark dark chocolate. Slightly espresso. A little sweet from all the malt.

Very warming.

I think I would limit myself to maybe three or four of these a night. Not a session beer. This is too be enjoyed infront of the fire. It is my new seasonal drink.

11-30-2004 15:13:05 | More by dippy
walleye

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

at kuhnhenns thanks clarkv v from rate beer for bringing this in a trade with bieristgut. poured black with tan head. aroma, chocolate, roasted malts,coffee,nice hoppiness, cocoa. flavor,dark choclate,malts, licorice, hints of alcohol. a very enjoyable beer.

11-30-2004 01:06:50 | More by walleye