Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

This is a great stout. The appearance is black as night, and it smells of coffee and toffee. The taste also hints of dark roast coffee, as well as dark chocolate. The feel on the mouth is smooth. Really interesting, complex malt flavors. I found out after tasting that it is 8.5 ABV, and this also surprised me. The alcohol doesn't overpower the great flavors, and it could even be a good session brew. I very much enjoy this beer. A very good interpretation of a stout with chocolate malts- Very good, and worth a try!

gotbeer, Feb 27, 2005
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2004-2005 edition.

Poured a deep, dark, evil black with a nice dark tan head that stuck around for a bit, leaving some lacing. The smell was dominated by coffe and chocolate notes. The taste was amazing, slightly sweet at first, then bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts and coffee slowly fade into a hint of hops. The mouthfeel is excellent, creamy, thick and begging me to drink more! The drinkablility of this beer was great, I could so easily put down a few of these. Overall, this is one excellent beer and I cannot wait until I can get my hands on another case of this!

Note: I drank this one after seeing Soulfly and Morbid Angel in Cleveland, so that made it THAT much better!

soulfly967, Feb 25, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours pitch black with a thick coffee colored head. Loads of coffee and chocolate in the aroma, along with some alcohol. Tastes of roasted espresso and dark chocolate with some alcohol warmth in the background. There is a slightly hoppy aftertaste before the hops are overwhelmed by the coffee flavors. Thick and syrupy, this is a very nice beer! The only knock against it's drinkability is that it would be pretty hard to drink more than a couple in one night!

nvsblman, Feb 24, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

I love an imperial stout, and this one at first glance and whiff appeared to be a winner. Very dark with a creamy looking tannish head. Aroma of soft chocolates, dried beef, and roasted nuts had my mouth watering. Carbonation was too low in my estimation, and the flavor, while rich with chocolate malts, was too sweet and the texture too thin for an imperial stout. Also, a very strong taste of alcohol was always present, not something I like in a beer. Nasty aftertaste as well. For all its reputation, this brewery should be putting out better beers.

ChowHound, Feb 20, 2005
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance: 12oz bottle, "Winter 03-04 Bottling". Dense, opaque black. Minimal head, quickly dissipated. Excellent lacing.

Nose: Hmmm. Might that be .... Chocolate? Who would have thought... Lots of chocolate. Definate coffee notes as well. Some roasty smells, but pretty well masked by the chocolate.

Taste: Creamy, malty almost syrupy. Very smooth. More roasted malt taste than was in the nose. The alcohol is definately there.

Mouthfeel: Smooth with lots of body. Minimal carbonation. Very thick.

Overall: Very good. I am not a big chocolate stout drinker, but this was pretty tasty. Pretty drinkable. Definately recommended.

isubsmith, Feb 18, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

I told myself I was going to let this one age--I really did. But I gave in, as usual.

This is probably the blackest beer I've ever seen. Deep, opaque, inescapable black.

Saucy smell. Very strong. Lots of malt and coffee and a hint of chocolate.

Incredibly powerful flavor. Deceptively simple upfront, rather MOR Imperial Stout flavor of strong alcohol malt and coffee, followed up quickly by a tremendously complex blend of coffee and roasted malt, making way to a deep, rich chocolate that warms you up and is dances all the way down into your stomach. Wonderful.

This is a surprisingly drinkable beer, and a beer that I'm sure would age well...if only you could keep yourself from drinking it. Try it warm.

mynie, Feb 15, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

The beer looks like used motor oil and leaves a very thin dark tan head.
The stout tastes sweet and chocolatey, and the roasted malts blend well with the alcohol. The beer is pretty thick and doesn't have a whole lot of carbonation, which is a good thing. It doesn't feel heavy on the way down, but after you finish the bottle you might get the feeling you should take a break before the second one.

If you can get your hands on some of this, give it a try. Black Chocolate Stout is just plain good.

TackleDummy, Feb 12, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Very deep black color with a thin tan head. The snifter glass I poured the beer into usually encourages foam development, so I was surprised by the how thin this was. The nose has deep chocolate and roast malt character with a hint of hard candy, and some alcohol hints on the finish. A light ring of lace develops as the head settles into the beer. Great chocolate richness up front in the flavor with more of an alcohol warming than I sense in other chocolate stouts. The hop lends an almost minty character to the flavor, amazing. Nice, velvety mouth feel and a good drinakbility. This may be the signature version of this style. Great job Garrett.

carln26, Feb 10, 2005
3.83/5  rDev -7.7%

Lookin' good, boys. Nice black pour with a thick tan head that hangs around for a few minutes. Burnt malt, chocolate, coffee beans, and some fruity sweetness are all in the aroma. The taste has a lot of dark chocolate, but there's also lots of coffee flavors and burnt malt in there as well. Thick chewy mouthfeel complements the big flavor nicely. Drinkability is not so great. The beer is tasty, don't get me wrong, but I had a hard time finishing the whole bottle. I'd almost like to get this one in a 7 oz. nip so the sweetness wouldn't knock me around quite so much.

whartontallboy, Feb 09, 2005
4.95/5  rDev +19.3%

Wow! I have had Brooklyn's offerings for the past 4 years available down here in Chapel Hill, but I had to sneak this one over the state border because of our 6% cap.

(2004-2005 offering) One of the strongest initial hits of aroma that I have ever encountered with any beer - heavy chocolate and burnt malt smell. Enough to make my mouth salivate. It is a very dark black color, no chance of seeing through this one. The head retention is about a 1/2 inch for a minute or two before slowly dissolving (dark brown head). The taste is a heavy espresso chocolate taste with undertones of noticable hops. The alcohol is well hidden for the first few seconds, but then rears its head on your palate. Leaves a bit of a dry mouthfeel, due what I believe largely the carbonation and the amount of tannins in the beer. Would LOVE to see this as a NITRO. I could drink this all night - definitely a top ten to 20 beer. Cheers to Brooklyn Brewery.

Now if I could actually get this at the store down here instead of making a 6 hour round trip to Virginia. You would think that NC would be a bit more lenient...

Dakotablue, Feb 05, 2005
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

What a fancy looking bottle.

Pours out black with a dark tan head. One of the darkest colored heads I've ever seen. Looked like motor oil as it made the journey from the bottle to my glass. Burnt malts coupled with some moderate hops made up the aroma. Nice taste. Molasses, chocolate, and coffee are all present here. The alcohol presence could not go unnoticed though. And, honestly, it made it a little tough to drink. I enjoyed this beer, but I wouldn't be able to drink too many. Probably would be ideal for cellaring.

***Update*** (2/10/06) - I brought down the Smell and Mouthfeel each by 0.5. I just tried it again and it really just leaves a very bitter finish. A little tough to drink, but it still tastes pretty darn good.

Jacobob10, Feb 02, 2005
4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Very thick pour with a nice black body and caramel head with decent retention. Nice roasty, fruity aroma with a hint that you're really going to taste the high alcohol. Couldn't be farther from the truth. Very smooth mouthfeel and an unbelievable chocolate flavor that all but hides the alcohol. Very drinkable for such a seemingly heavy beer. Slightly bitter with a pleasant complex after taste. Definitely in my top ten!

beerdrifter, Feb 01, 2005
3.68/5  rDev -11.3%

2004-2005 edition.

Appearence: Pours a normal black with decently rich fomay head.

Smell: The roasted malt smell is wonderful to sniff. The bottle claims this beer uses 6 different malts, and I believe it.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste of this beer is a kind of mediocre chocolate flavor, but with other ingrediants that compliment that. The chocolate taste isn't too good, but the malty sweet goodness is excellent. The focus of this beer should not have been the chocolate, but it still tastes good. The mouthfeel is full and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Not a bad beer, but can't hold a candle to Rogue Chocolate Stout. I enjoyed it, that's for sure, but probably couldn't enjoy another one. This is a beer you have to be in the mood for.

santoslhalper, Jan 31, 2005
4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

This is the 2004-05 edition. Pours a typically black body, with a nice dark, caramel head, reasonable retention. There's a wonderful sweet aroma, tons of chocolate. Also some fruitiness. The taste is awesome. For as sweet as this is, it isn't overbearing, and the high alcohol doesn't make an appearance in the mouth, what a delight. The mocha taste in this is really good, and just a hint of bitterness to give some balance. I could drink these all night.

JackStraw22, Jan 31, 2005

A pitch black stout with a wonderful coffee colour head. Smells of rich quality chocolate. Taste of course is choclate too. But a little bit too much alcohol burn in it. Its pretty easy drinking but you can really tell you get a little extra in this beer. The alcohol is a little too close to the surface. I prefer it felt but not tasted. This is however a pretty good stout with a rich chocolate taste and only the aftertaste brings it down a little in my opinion.

SaunaKing, Jan 29, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

From bottle poured in pint glass.
Appearance: Well, its hard for an Imperial Stout (or American Double Stout?) to look much better than this. Absolutely black, with a dark, slowly developing head. Looks nice and thick.
Smell: Wonderfully dark, sweet chocolate. Hew did they ever get this much chocolate scent in here without using chocolate? Truly fantastic.
Taste: Bitter burnt chocolatey goodness all around! Wow, this is delicious. I've worked my way through about half the case despite my best attempts to pace myself, and it grows on me more with each bottle. Sweeter than you expect, the hops really play around with the roastiness to accentuate, rather than overwhelm, this malty backbone. Finishes with a soft, thick, coating malt sweetness. Well hidden alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Smooth and almost creamy, the bitterness doesnt pucker your mouth and shrivel your tongue like I often anticipate in a beer this color and strength. Great stuff.
Drinkability: Very easy to down this beer. A beverage this great and a budget as small as mine make it a must to never have more than one bottle chilled at any time.

Erix, Jan 26, 2005
3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

I was amazed to find out that this is an 8.5% ABV beer. It hardly tastes of alcohol at all.

This beer pours like motor oil. It appears to have the same color and viscosity of used engine oil with a dark tan frothy head to top it off.

The first taste was a bit surprising. It's not bitter like most beers its color, instead it tastes of a chocolate syrup with a chalky texture. It's quite sweet, and has a complex lingering aftertaste.

Six of these beers will be more than enough for any advocate as they are more of a dessert beer than a drinkin' brew.

maccroz, Jan 22, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance: Dark and forboding. Opaque black with a dark tan head. Head was thin and didnt last too long.

Smell: Not too strong, roasted coffee/chocolate with a very slight whiff of alcohol.

Taste: Excellent. Starts out with a blast of coffee, chocolate and a bunch of others i cant put my finger on. Nothing really dominates until the end, when the chocolate lingers on the palate indefinetly. Drink a few, and you can almost taste it for the rest of the night. A little bit of alcohol warming at the end, but not much.

Mouthfeel: Very good. Not watery by any means, but with medium carbonation it doesnt have a real 'heavy'.

Drinkability: As I said, not a real heavy beer, but it did fill me up. A few is no problem, but I don't think it would be a great sesssion beer, at least not for me. But with ~9%abv, you wouldn't want to down it like guinness anyway.

Overall, I love this beer. its a winter brew, but I plan on stashing a few 6 packs away for the summer.

ram3139, Jan 14, 2005

Winter 2004-2005 bottling.

This was a VERY deep brown, almost opaque beer with a one finger tan head. It looked promising.

The aroma was of rich dark roasted malt, with hints of cocoa. Quite interesting, something I have never noticed before, even with Sam Adams Chocolate Bock.

The taste was of smooth roasted malt and bitter chocolate, with a coffee aftertaste. Some alcohol was noticeable, but it didn't taste like an 8.5 % ABV brew.

This was really an excellent stout, and if you can find it, do yourself a favor and get some.

connecticutpoet, Jan 09, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured out a blacker than black color with a nice tan head that went to lacing eventually. I thought the beer was going to swallow the light in the room with it being so dark.

Smell was nice. Roasted malts with a nice underlying aroma of coffee and dark ripe fruit. A tad of hops hiding at times to give it a balancing effect.

Taste was nice. Roasted malts along with some roasted coffee beans strike the palate first. Hops are present and welcoming actually. Towards the end the chocolate kicks in and really balances this beer very well.

Mouthfeel was full bodied and carbonation was low to medium. Flavors really came through.

I'm sorry I didn't grab a six pack of this stuff last year. I saw it but decided not to get it. Dumb move. I'll grab a 6 of this every winter. Great, great stuff.

necoadam, Jan 06, 2005
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

04-05 bottling. I am drinking in a flute glass at room temp. The beer pours a pitch black into my glass with an immense tan creamy silky head foaming up 2.5 inches. Leaving some tight latticework as it fades to a robust surface layer. Aroma is chocolate, raisins, white grape, some espresso and a hint of roasted malt as well.
First sip, introduces a sublimely smooth and creamy concoction onto my palate. Such a rich brew and so easy to imbibe!
Very mild rolling carbonation almost gives the impression of a cask ale. Flavor starts mild with some roasted malt and chocolate, this rolls to some sweeter chocolate and finishes with a bit of espresso bitter mixing with the sweet chocolate, I guess similar to a mocha. Very nice mix and definitely a malt lovers paradise! This brew is rather large and I find it incredibly easy to drink.
This year's batch isnt as bitter as others, and I rather enjoy it. Give it a shot if you can!

sulldaddy, Jan 06, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The neck label says Winter 2004-2005, and "Brooklyn Brewery, Utica, NY."

Pours solid black, with a finger's width of cocoa colored, dense looking head. As I wait for my second to warm, the head has receeded to a thing covering- but left a nearly opaque lace as it went down. Very pleasing, it brings with it a fine sense of anticipation, and does not disappoint.

Except for the nose. A bit acrid, it smells as it the roasted malts were a bit burnt, and a touch too much of alchohol. Sugery and fruity alchohol. At least that is what I thought of a cooler version. It mellows nicely as it warms, and gets an extra half point.

Very smooth chocolate toasted coffee malts, molded into a very smooth and complete package. A nice fruity touch, plums? comes out as it goes down.

I wrote in my notes 'very smooth, with a tiny touch of alchohol tang at the end' but with another in front of me, a bit warmer, the tiny touch becomes almost nothing.

Very smooth, silky, velvety, whatever metaphore you want to use for it. Goes down very nicely, wich makes it a great sipper. Certainly a very, very nice beer.

That said, I just stuck one in the closet, to see how it tastes next year! Interesting also to see it's hourly evolution as it warms, as well.

hustlemuscle, Jan 04, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My second chocolate stout, not as a good as Young's...

Pours jet black with no head. There was a little dirty lacing. Smells strong with heavy roasted malts, hops, and chocolate at the end of the nose. Minimal carbonation. At first, you taste the roasted malts. Then, the bitterness comes over your tongue very strongly, first hops then the cocoa. Very genuine cocoa taste, but also quite bitter. Bitterness lasts with you after your swallow due to the thickness of the brew. Although it is pretty good, I'd rather have Young's.

aquatonex, Jan 02, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Limited bottling (winter '03-'04) and cellared for 6 months by myself. Purchased from Norm's Beer & Wine (near DC) in fall 2004 and consumed in December 2004. 12 oz bottle poured thick and with a half-finger brown head that quickly settled to a partial ring around the inside of the mug. Pitch black, couldn't see through this one at all. Smelled chocolate, some roast, licorice, and a faint grainy and alcohol-ish kind of 'barleywine sweet'. Thick mouthfeel. Coffee roast blended really well with a rich chocolate. A fine chocolate, not a dry or waxy cheap chocolate. Plum was noticable as was molasses (with some searching). Dry start, followed by the dry rough roast and finishing somewhere between sweet and dry. Boy, this was a nice stout. The flavor persisted just a short time, as the thick beer clung to my tongue, allowing me to reflect on this beer with a pleasant chocolatey flavor.

mentor, Dec 31, 2004
4.72/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout
Limited Bottling - Winter '04 - '05

This could be the most excited I've been about a beer in a while. Always a highly anticipated winter time classic for me, I was glad to pick up a six pack this evening.

When my friends and I were about 20 years old, we ordered a log of this from the Brooklyn Brewery. We served the beer with Hershey chocolates and strawberries. It was a great night and really opened my eyes to the wonders of the craft beer movement. We had friends who rarely stepped outside the Budweiser box and were drinking pints of this that night and loving it.

Little did I know then that my friends and I were ahead of our time as far as great beer goes.

As for this review...

I served the Brooklyn BCS in a tulip glass. This is one beer that will age well with time. Pours a very dark shade of black with an attractive tannish-brown head. Dirty brown sticky lacings cling all over the sides of the glass.

Strong whiffs of espresso, molasses and berries.

A creamy and full mouthfeel. Roasted coffee & imported chocolate flavors dominate the palate. Awesome smokey and roasted malts. Rasberry tartness interjects an espresso bitterness. There is a well represented hop bitterness with each sip, but the chocolate complexities take charge. A very slight alcohol warmth on the finish, but not as prominent as in years past.

What a beautifully well-balanced beer. One of the better imperial stouts I have ever had. Becomes more enjoyable as it warms up to room temperature.

A true gem and highly recommended.

Hibernator, Dec 22, 2004