Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz. '06'-07 bottle poured into Das Festhaus pint glass.

A: Midnight, with a mocha colored ring. No head, no lacing.

S: Alcohol, chocolate, and little roasted coffee.

T: Wow...boozy, initally. Reminds me of a liquor, Godiva-like. Leaves a burnt walnut-like taste, like if I were to eat the ashes of a campfire. Alcohol becomes even more present after it warms.

M: Silky, creamy with a heavy charred and booze aftertaste.

D: A true sipper that lacks any ability to be consumed en mass.

BBCS is a huge beer, the biggest I've ever had. More complex than Rasputin. I am going to cellar some to see how it is after the alcohol is tamed.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Thanks to warriorsoul for this '04-'05 12 oz bottle.

This beer poured a deep, dark black with a brownish tan wide collar that left a few spots of lace.

Smells of milk chocolate, maple syrup and a little bit of coffee with some bready barley and a nice blend of alcohol. There was also a little tart cherry and red grape in the background. Marvelous.

Tasted of smooth chocolate and sweet barley that was followed by a slight wave of green apple dryness and a nice alcohol. Finished with a little bit of charcoal.

The mouthfeel was light, but smooth with a thickening mini-carbonation. Seemed a little on the dry side.

I really liked the chocolate in this one, but the charcoal was a little bit of a deterrent.

-Edit-

This one ages remarkably well.

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

served into a nonic,think i'll try a snifter next time,poured from a 12oz. brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap, top of label marked 06-07.

Opaque,black as coal,with a dense,creamy mocha head,good retention,clinging,sticking down the sides of the glass.

First wiff at blast of alcohol,very chocolatly/roasty a bit nutty with a very burnt aroma,a very malty nose.

Syrupy,malty,very roasty and chocolaty reminisent of strong black coffee,intense chocolate tastes,a warming alcohol presense,finishing with a clean,sharp,dry bitterness with a sweet malty taste lingering on the palate.

A good thick,chewy mouthfeel,this beer gets better as it warms,drinking this beer is like drinking your desert. One beer at a time for me on this one.
I drink this beer every year,a must try beer every year for me.

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

This bewitching brew is pitch black and completely opaque. The medium, coffee color head retains quite well, with sticky, intricate lacings.

Sweet malt, coffee, chocolate, caramel with hints of vanilla and toffee, this incredible brew smells like a festive holiday pudding.

The flavor is of sweet, roasted malts, bitter chocolate, coffee, and burnt caramel with some buttery tones. There is a huge, chewy bread/yeast consistency that tapers off into a bitter aftertaste with hints of alcohol.

This is a heavy beer with ample carbonation, though not as creamy as I might like it to be.

This is a fine seasonal offering from Brooklyn Brewery that I've been eager to taste for some time. I think the flavors would benefit well from a bit a bit of aging, though it is still a tasty brew when fresh.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

thanks to gpcollen for the opportunity...winter 2006.

A: yup, it's black. very small head that becomes just a ring in seconds... the head is light brown.

S: whoa! I believe this one might have some alcohol in it. definitely can smell the dark chocolate, also grapes, prunes, other dark fruits. Smells really complex.

T: tip of the tounge is apples. Turns bitter in the middle, and finishes with a smooth, not too strong, chocolatey, kinda dark fruity taste. can definitely taste some alcohol here, but it belongs.

M: very smooth mouthfeel, really nice. kinda thick, like a stout should be. Almost perfect. I can't find anything wrong with this mouthfeel, but to be perfect, it would really have to stand out.

D: not so drinkable. I mean, not bad for the alcohol percenge, but I probably wouldn't drink another, not even for free. It's not a bad beer at all, don't get me wrong, but one's enough for me.

From the look of the label, I would never think this to be an excellent beer. hmmm... they deceived me...
With a beer this good, I guess they don't need a fancy, or cool label.

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

This is my first review inspired by a wonderful beer. I received this one in a seasonal pack from my liquor store. As a lover of dark beer the mere sight of the bottle made me want to try it and the alcohol content intrigued me even further. Pouring it from the bottle into the glass revealed a dark black brew. The head was almost non existent but a nice lacing is present.

The best thing about this beer in my opinion is it's drinkability. Each drink goes down extremely smooth as if it were a 5-7% beer. I would definitely pick this one up again in larger quantities.

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%

A- Pours thick and viscous from the bottle; the darkest of browns, nearly black with a small, short-lived tan head.

S- Sweet malt and alcohol in the nose. Dark fruits, caramel, and toffee aromas abound; smells almost like a barleywine rather than a stout as the roasted malt is barely evident.

T- Very sweet and boozy upfront. Incredibly rich. Alcohol and rich caramel are the dominant flavors here. Roasted malt doesn't really even come into play until a charred flavor comes in on the finish.

M- Very thick, almost syrupy mouthfeel. Carbonation is minimal.

D- Not great. I'll be able to finish the 12oz bottle, but that's it. This brew is thick, rich, and makes no attempt to hide its alcohol content. A sipper for sure.

An enjoyable beer but the alcohol is a little overpowering right now. It overshadows the roasted malt profile and makes it difficult to pick out too many subtle nuances. This is one that I can pretty much guarantee will get better with age. Good now, but could be great in a year or two.

4.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Sampled from a 12 oz bottle, poured into a snifter at 50 degrees. One previous review last year, before my tastes developed.

A - Pours a very dark black with a small brown head.

S - Powerful aromas of dark, unsweetened chocolate (similar to baking cocoa) and dark-roast coffee beans.

T - Strong blend of the coffee and cocoa, and as with the smell, no real sweetness or maltiness to it. I detect a slight hint of raspberries or black cherries...not enought to carry its own flavor, but it highlights the unsweetened chocolate very well.

M - Creamy mouthfeel, but not overly thick. Alcohol isn't overbearing, but is detectable as the warming sensation takes you.

D - The first time I tried this RIS, I didn't enjoy it...this was about 10 months ago. As I could tell my tastes were developing, I couldn't wait to try it again, and it was more than worth the wait. Would make for a wonderful addition to a session tasting and I plan on cellaring the rest of my case for enjoyment in the years to come.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz bottle, 6 pk for less than $10 out the door if I remember correctly. 06-07 bottling.

A: Black as it gets. Small brown head that leaves a ring quickly.

S: Lots of chocolate malt, some coffee, and maybe a touch of dark dark fruit, like raisons or prunes.

T: Tons of chocolate throughout. Big roasted super sweet malts. Some black coffee. The alcohol is no where to be found until you feel it going down your throat, and then, just warming enough that you know its there.

M: Not quite as thick as some (ie Bell's Expedition), but the perfect blend of carbonation, body, and creaminess. Slightly dry on the finish.

D: The perfect nightcap and winter beer. As drinkable as a RIS can be

Another beer that has finally made it to MI. Simply one of the best, and a great value to boot. Do yourself a favor and let this one warm up some

4.53/5  rDev +9.2%

Poured into a Maudite tulip glass. Darker than the blackest depths of hell!!! This looks like OIL when you pour it. Leaves a very small brown head that turns into a decent ring. Pretty good lacing going on as well.

The aroma is pretty boozy. And coffee-like. Two good things.

Holy stouty goodness! Roasty espresso-like flavor, with a rush of hoppy bitterness as you swallow... but there's a very sweet and fruitlike finish to it, almost like pomegranate. Even though it's not actually made with any real chocolate, it sure does have a dark chocolate flavor, with a bit of molassesy maltiness in there as well. It's got all the flavors that I hope for in a good, solid RIS.

Mouthfeel is a bit drying, in my opinion, but definitely not enough to take away from its deliciousness.

As far as drinkability goes... well, it's just not fair to rate an RIS this strong on drinkability. Don't get me wrong, the alcohol is VERY well-masked, but still... one is enough. It's fantastically drinkable for what it is.

This beer isn't just good for its price... it's TOO good for its price. A beer this good and this strong at a regular six-pack price is not something you'll see very often. Buy it before it runs out at your local liquor store... I've seen it happen in my area already. I'm excited to see how well it ages.

PS (a little edit) - pour this with a generous head. I've NEVER noticed such a drastic taste difference as when I poured this with little to no head, and when I poured it with a generous head. It was infinitely better when I poured it into a stemmed pilsner glass (of all things) with a 'whoops, I sort of over-did that' head.

About $9 a six-pack

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

Re-review! It's about time, and I thought it might be handy to compare this side by side to Dragonslayer, since it is my highest scored so far in this category.

I repeat myself in saying this is a beautiful, beautiful beer. Dark, no light, deep tan head, lacing- gorgeous. Nose is chocolatey and sweet- deeply so, like hot chocolate and espresso. Malty. Sweet. Taste is sweeter than the Dragon, chocolatey, missing the bitterness I enjoyed in Dragon, but sweeter. Not necessarily better or worse- just different frames of mind. Mouthfeel good, drinkability good- again, a very tasty brew. Sweet, tasty, chocolatey, dessert beer. Dessert, in a beer. This batch is definitely more well-balanced. Good stuff. And sneaky alcohol content- boys, give your girls this- you'll thank me later.

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Beer poured from a bottle labeled winter 05/06 into a pint glass. No head at all, even when I poured half of the bottle straight down the center. Would have received a higher appearance rating if it had something on top. Laced icicle shapes down the glass as I enjoyed.

Smell was very nice. All chocolate, with some espresso notes on top. Not bad at all.

Taste.. Very chocholate-y. This Stoudt is named correctly! Chocolate overtakes the palate, and a very slight grapefruit like bite to it. The aftertaste is similar to roasted coffee beans.

Heavy in the mouth, slightly overtaking due to the high alcohol content in this beer. Not bad by any stretch, but it's definately a sipper.

Overall, a pretty good beer, and a fine representation of RIS.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle purchase from the Park Slope Food Coop.

Oh yeah!!! I love this stuff. Pours like motor oil with a nice brown head. Thick and smooth; Easy to drink for such a strong brew. The chocolate and nut flavors really come out. This is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout so far, but I haven’t had many types. After first trying a bottle I went out immediately and bought two six packs for fear they would sell out too quickly. When I first went to Bierkraft for it, they were out. Get it now or you will miss out this year, but don't worry there is always next year.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured a dark black with dark tan head. Retention and lacing within the large wine glass was stunning. Aromas of roasted malts and cocoa.
Big dark chocolate and bitter espresso notes. Bittterness sort of sat there on the tongue, without enough caramel from the malts to throw it off the couch. Came off less creamy than I had expected, yet still had a very light mouthfeel as it was considerably less viscous than other examples.

Overall, I unfortunately received this and the Young's Double Chocolate at the same time to share. The creamy, vanilla goodness of Young's was really what I was looking for at the time, which detracted from my overall enjoyment with the Brooklyn version. Very good nonetheless.

3.93/5  rDev -5.3%

Straight from Bottle.

A-Little to no foam, and as for the foam that was there, it was a warm cocoa color. The beer was a deep black with a nice deep brown on the lip.

S-Goddamn is this appealing, a very attractive aroma.

T-Not as bitter as it is strong, however, the aftertaste is rather odd.

M-Very creamy, it seems to just flow freely throughout your mouth (and then down your throat!)

D-Apart from a strange aftertaste every so often, I could drink this non stop.

Highly Recommended, but I would not go as far to say this is the best beer on the market. ALSO, the bottling is VERY attractive.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

This beer pours a dark-as-night black color with a moderate head. The smell is hard to tease out, but is much like alcohol and dark malts. Just a hint of something sour, although I am really not sure what it is... The taste is very special. It takes a little while for it to develop on the tongue, but its mostly like the same dark malts with just a hint of hops. The aftertaste is overwhelmingly like coffee, and lingers on the tongue for a long time. Many sweet notes as well, but I cant place where they would come from. This is a terrific beer, and well worth seeking out.

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Had this one on tap, and like it better than from a bottle. It pours a thick black color with a nice brown head and good lacing. Too much alcohol in the nose, but there is also hints of chocolate, coffee, and dark fruits.

More impressed with the taste fomr the tap than from the bottle. The flavors were much more complex, and seemed to dance on the tastebuds for a longer period of time. Black coffee, baker's chocolate, a hint of bitter hops all to be found. Mouthfeel is chewy and a bit sticky. It's a high ABV, so drinkability isn't great. But this really is a finely crafted winter beer.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

2006-2007 version

12 ounce bottle - into a DFH shaped pint thingy.

A - Black. Very black. Nice sexy tan head. Can't wait for the S.

S - Yummy chocolate. On to the 'T', I can't wait.

T - Nice, solid dark chocolate taste and roasty warmness. Sits on the tongue very nicely. Solidly bitter finish. <<Shudder>> yummy!!

M - Low carbo, tingly warmth.

D - Suitable for a flask (I should patent this one) on a cold winter day!

Again a solid offering (perhaps the best from BB)....

Cheers!!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

12 oz. brown bottle with black labeling winter 06-07. Pours a chocolate syrup thick blackness with an awesome foamy dark tan head. Aroma is full of chocolate, molasses, caramel, brown sugar, and coffee with a large nose of bourbon for a backbone. Full bodied with a slick, syrupy texture. Alcohol level is present as it numbs the tongue. Sweet caramel flavors and tons chocolate. Sweet, creamy, milk chocolate at first then a dry, dark, bittersweet, baker's chocolate. Large hint of like bourbon whiskey really finishes nicely with an espresso bitter tang and a big warming effect. Definitely a sipper but really a delicious beer.

Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance: very black in color, some head but not much in the way of lacing.

Smell: Appealing. Lots of chocolate in the nose - I think I got some up my nose I was trying to sniff so hard.

Taste: Too bitter and "not enough chocolate" for the relatives I shared it with at Thanksgiving, but their loss - it's delicious. Lots of dark chocolate flavor, some espresso in the background, and a not-insignificant amount of hops bitterness - you can tell that the bitterness comes from hops, not burnt grain, which I always appreciate.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy. Good.

Drinkability: Solid RIS, although a bit less hop character than there could be. A good dessert beer (for someone who's already a beer drinker), but not an introductory beer.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a midnight black color with a small tan head, leaving trace amounts of lacing. Smell is roasty, chocolate-y, and a bit fruity. Taste is pretty nice, some chocolate and roastiness, but seemed to have more earthiness from the hops than I liked. I think this would be eliminated with aging, and would increase my score. Medium to full bodied, medium carbonation. Was fun to drink, and would like to get more, but would like to age it to see how it develops.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

To quote Blix, this beer is "Black as midnight, plack as pitch, blacker than the foulest witch..." Very little head to speak of, which settles into a patchwork of foam riding the black. Smell is roasty coffee beans and chocolate. Taste has none of that coffee smell, but the chocolate stands out. Also less of the bitterness I've come to associate with Imperial Stouts like Yeti and RIS. A very light carbonation had me hoping for a creamier mouthfeel, but it is a tad thin. The killer is the alcohol. Make no mistake, this stuff is HOT. The alcohol really asserts itself and takes away from both mouthfeel and drinkability.

This is a very tasty stout that just needs some time to mature and tame the alcohol (I hope). At around 7 bucks a sixer, this is an incredible bargain. I suggest buying a few for now and a few to put away for next year.

4.78/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle about 1000 times in ten years, this time to a pint glass. The liquid is BLACK with good carbonation. The head is 2 finger thick, tan smooth and creamy it fades is a light lace.

The small is deep dark roasted malt, coffee and chocolate notes.

The taste follows but delivers more, this beer is sensational. Dark roasted malt is crazy delicious. The beer is good cold, warm or left over from the night before, not real sweet but just enough to enhance flavor but biter hopy enough to retain an delicate dryness.

The mouthfeel is the best. The beer feels so good I don't want to swallow. I like swishing it between my teeth. Very creamy with great carbonation and no bitter or stale after taste.

The drinkability is awesome at 10.6 ABV (and you would never know it) the beer just gets for sip after sip. Prosit und Zum Wohl, MK

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

I had a bottle of Victory's Storm King Stout in hand when an employee of the local beer shop approached and stated that while my choice was good, Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout was really good this year. I took his advice, and, while I still have yet to try Victory's offering, I'm ecstatic over this beer.

It pours like so many in its style: black and thick. Not as thick as some, but thick. A thin head of tan bubbles formed, but they quickly dissipated and were replaced by a lace around the edge. The aroma is wonderful; it's full of malts, coffee, and chocolate, with hints of sticky dried fruit.

The taste is something to behold. It commences with a smokiness combined with dark, bittersweet chocolate. A nice espresso hue fills the middle, and the finish is slightly hoppy with hints of pine. The sweet fruitiness was only detectable by me after the beer had warmed considerably. All variations on the flavor during its time in the glass were appreciated.

I like the mouthfeel. It's full, but not too full, a little sticky, and the aftertaste–which is mainly of coffee and dark chocolate with some bitterness–lingers for quite some time. This is great beer, and a great model of the style. Cheers to Brooklyn Brewery!

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer has been significantly improved over the past 5 years. It has become an awesome example of what I know to be a Russian Imperial Stout. Bought a six pack of this at Wegman's back home in Syracuse, NY. Enjoyed in a nonic glass. Hard poured it to get some of that dark brown head and lacing on the edge of the glass. As far as aroma and taste goes, there's only one word and that is MALT! Sooo much awesome malt flavor in this beer. Mouthfeel is sticky but smooth. Perfect amount of alcohol warming as well. I had three of these during Thanksgiving day...I felt so at home.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery