Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

'06
Pours a very near-black with a nice coffee foam head. Very nice. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, although it is more designed for aging. The high alcohol (10.6%) is a bit too dominant in the smell and taste and is the only thing (though very minor) to hold this back from being priceless. Still, this has a wonderful combination of coffee, chocolate, and burnt-nutty malts. Very complex and a wonderfully balanced mouthfeel. I'm very eager to see how this one ages.

3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

What a pleasant surprise tonight. Found this at my favorite BP for $2 a single. What a steal! First time trying this one. Label said 10.5% ABV, but you can not tell with all the chocolate malts. Bitter like Hershey's Special Dark, this one is an enjoyable and affordable RIS. Does not equal Bell's or Stone, but a worthy experience. Worth getting a good number of these and see how they age.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

S: Poured from bottle brewed for 2006-07 release

A: Oh boy, is this dark or what! Beautiful, dark roast color with a matching burnt head that lingered to the end.

Smell: Nice roast malt and chocolate notes that make you want to taste it. Slight alcohol smell that tells you that you are drinking a serious beer.

T: So many different flavors hit you that you don"t know where to start. First, a dark chocolate note, followed by the burnt malt, and then the warmth of the alcohol.

M: This beer is rich from the start. I felt a burn as I retained it, but enjoyed the complex nature of this beer.

D: I would (and will) get this beer again. I have always liked Brooklyn and the praise for this beer is deserved. The ABV and the rich nature are only good for one nice beer after dinner.

4.48/5  rDev +8%

Vintage 06-07

This is the Scarlett Johansson of beers. Completely gorgeous, but so many layers to be revealed. From the exuberant foam pour to the nasty lacing that demands attention of it's brilliant web, your Grandmother's doiley is found here. So dark, one can almost imagine what non-existence would look like. Trust me, you will love this body.
Robust nose that supercedes innocuous burnt embers to reveal a completely subdued chocolate that becomes your new found master. Awesome.
My tongue is in a tizzy. Clean, yet malty. Burnt, yet exact. Garrett has pushed it, and found the masterpiece. This is beer bliss. The complexity won't allow you to be a dick about the details. This beer is Art. This beer is near perfect.
Very nice job, Sir...

3.57/5  rDev -14%

Poured a beautiful jet black from the bottle with a somewhat thin, creamy tan head. I may have poured it too cold and the aroma was faint. Smelled like chocolate, coffee, and alcohol. Tasted like chocolate at first, then coffee and a hint of nuttiness. Finished chocolatey and alcoholic. The mouth feel was very nice, oily and slick. This was my first impy, so it was quite an experience. As it warmed up, the aroma was more pronounced, but toward the alcohol side. Some people seem to be of the opinion that sitting on this for a bit is best. I agree with that camp. See you next year Brooklyn BCS.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

This is from a 12 oz Winter '06/'07 edition and the ABV% on the lable states 10.6 %. Poured into an oversize'ed wine chalice.

AP:Very deepest brown, nearly black thick and heavy looking. Created a very active mocha-brown colored head that dissipated to a scattered 1/8" covering rather quickly for the style, I like the head to stick around longer and be a bit fatter overall. Not great retention for a RIS.

Nose: Sweet maple sugar and dark roasted chocolate-like malt scent dominates, coffee bean, and cream with some minor alcohol detected in the nose.

Taste: A dark chocolaty>oaky>oaty>semi-bitter roasted coffee>leafy hop finish and a bite of alcohol as it goes down.

MF: a syruppy, slick and heavy feel (just like it should be!) Big Full body.

DA: I gotta admit, I was FEELIN' this after my second one...10.6%ABV is no joke, but since I love these monster stouts you KNOW I'm having another(too many)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

S - 12 oz bottle from '06. Nouseforotacon hooked me up with this spectacle of a beer.

A - Pours a black with a deep red center. Head is fluffy, smooth, and creamy chocolate colored. Looks delicious. spiderwebs hangs on the walls of my glass.

S - Bittersweet chocolate, powedered chocolate, fruity twinges, malty, slight hop hit, kind of grainy as well. Smells great.

T - Fruity, chocolate covered fruits, slightly roasted malt, bitter bite in the finish and is perfect, balances it all out perfectly. Delicious, I can only imagine this vint. a year from now.

M - Creamy and smooth with a balancing act of carbonation as well. perfection.

D - I could drink these until I black "chocolated" out (corny I know, but its true)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

This is my first experience with this brew as Brooklyn Brewing just became available to us in Michigan earlier this year. This lovely brew pours out with a fantastic viscosity and a deep brown colour capped by a chocolate coloured head of good resilience. Lacing is decoratively hung making this thing look even more lovely still.

The nose is chocolate laden. It smells creamy and rich with a bit of roasted graininess layered beneath the sweet chocolate tones. This one smells like a dessert. A tiny bit of alcoholic flair gives this a slight feel of an expensive liqueer or whatever you call them.

The taste is nicley chocolate based. It is not overwhelmingly sweet or cloying. There is a nice bitterness that gives it a coffee sort of feel although not highly coffee flavoured. It has a bit of dairy creaminess and again, the grain textures from the six varieties of malt are evident as they were in the nose. A very nice roasted ambiance overlays the entirety of the flavour scape. This is just delightful. I am surprised at how delicate the thing is especially with the 10.6% abv. This is a deceptive little number.

The mouthfeel is a heavy medium. It has a great texture. A bit dry in the finish and quite smoothe early.

The drinkability is excellent for such a hard hitter. The flavours meld well together and there is not one thing that stands out as overdone or misplaced. This is very well crafted and it will surely be a yearly tradition in my household from now on. I am glad we have this at our disposal now. Also of note, this bottle was very well priced for something in this abv range.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

I was finally able to try this beer on tap, and it is truly excellent. The appearance of the 06-07 version was a consistent chocolate colour. The smell is what makes this beer great. It had a more intense coffee aroma than the bottled version. In fact, I would go as far as saying it had a bite. The aroma definently drew me in. The taste matched the aroma: a combination of coffee malts and sweet cocoa. The mouthfeel is mostly smooth, with some kick to it. Given the high alcohol content, the drinkability is exceptional. I ended having three pints in one sitting, and I barely noticed it. It is worth the price of admission!

Pours black, with a dark brown, fluffy head.

Huge amounts of roast and chocolate in the nose. Ripe fruits and burnt coffe. Also some chocolate orange aromas there. Incredible.

Sweet milky chocolate up front. Somewhat sweet and roasty in the middle, with an emphasis on dark chocolate and ripe bananas. Leaves a perfectly balancing bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Huge body, and very delicious. Easily the best I've had from Brooklyn, very drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from an 06-07 bottle (part of a 6 pack). Poured dark and rich into a Duvel tulip. Black from top to bottom, completely opaque. Two fingers of foamy head on top.

Smells like dark chocolate with rich coffee malt.

First taste is dark, moreso than most chocolate stouts that I've tasted. Flavors of bitter dark chocolate are prominent, but there's definitely some coffee in this one. It's a biter brew, but it's tasty.

Drinkability is alright, but its bitter and it's 10.6% abv.

The beer pours a beautiful black body with a dark tan head that stood rather proud. The aroma was full of chocolate and roasted malts with a nice backing of hops. The taste of this beer was huge first came a little hops flavor to wake the tounge up and then all the malts just rushed in giving it a huge flood of flavors. The flavor that came out mainly was of a bittersweet chocolate and some fusal alcohol note present in the taste. The stouts finish was a lingering dry one that left with a warming alcohol note that left me wanting another one. This was a wonderful beer that was served with Kentucky Chocolate Bourbon Balls and 80% Cocoa Dark Chocolates. The Bourbon Balls melded wonderfully with the stout.

2.95/5  rDev -28.9%

Poured this 12 oz, brown bottle, dated Winter 06-07, into a Samuel Smith tulip glass. Body was the color of very used motor oil. Head never developed, but a collar of graham-cracker-colored foam stayed for a few minutes then nothing of the head remained.

Smell was subdued. Chocolate covered raisins or maybe raisin bread. I could not pick up more.

Taste was mildly sweet. Not cloying. Cocoa. Bittersweet chocolate. Peppery. Malt and hop presence, yet primarily cocoa. Alcohol hints came out late, rather well hidden. Rich with a lingering bitterness in the finish. Interesting but not especially complex, but I will age this one and taste it later.

Mouthfeel was smooth. Fully bodied and filling. Mild carbonation.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle, "limited bottling - Winter 06-07" printed on the neck label, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: pours a deep black color, completely opaque. The head forms a creamy brown and small, fading into some lacing that clings to half of the glass like a crescent moon.

Aroma: chocolate and rasted malts.

Taste: Reminds me of unsweetened chocolate completely throughout. The warming alcohol shows itself in the middle as well. The finish is bitter and chocolate, along with come caramel flavors.

Mouthfeel: Thich and almost chewy, yet surprisingly smooth for such a high Alcohol content. There's very little carbonation to it at all, though, but that works well for all the flavoring.

Overall: Extremely complex, this one tasted great on a cold night. I have another bottle I'm going to let sit and try a year from now to compare.

this is the 06-07 vintage; alcohol is also 10.6%
pours jet black with just a hint of light creaping in around the edges when it held up to a light, the head is just not there, if you swerll the beer it break out but quickly disapears.
the aroma is very dark; chocolate and roasted malts.
the flavor is dark and bitter, roasty, cocoa, malt, with a hint of butterscotch at the end.
pretty good stout, wounder how it ages, because its under $2 a bottle here.

4.02/5  rDev -3.1%

05-06 edition of this beer, so it has some age to it. Pours a think black color with practically no head and very low carbonation. Mid-pour I tried to get a head going but nothing. Smell was chocolate with some roasted aromas - slightly smoky. Taste was chocolatey, with a bitter finish with some teeth in it. A really full-bodied beer that is surprisingly fairly easy to drink.

3.14/5  rDev -24.3%

I've had the '02-'03, the '03-'04, the'04-'05, the'05-'06, and this one (the '06-'07) in bottles. All of them impressed me.

The '06-'07 on tap, though... when I was pouring it at the Real Beer Expo in Rochester, it had a nice roasty chocolately slightly musty aroma, what I expect in a Russian Imperial Stout. I had it on tap more recently, though, and it has a very strong diacetyl note in the aroma. Quite jarring. Not what I'd expect. I should note it was served at way too cold a temperature, though.

Appearance: quite dark, marvelous head, good retention.

Smell: butterscotch dominates. I can barely make out some caramel and chocolate notes.

Taste: Was served too cool for me to really judge. I detect some roasty notes amid the maltiness.

Mouthfeel: Good and thick, as I'd expect. Full body, slightly syrupy feel coating tongue.

Drinkability: After one of these, I was drowsy. That does not normally happen to me after one beer. If a half-pint were an option at this particular pub, that's what I'd order.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

This is my first review of this style of beer. 05/06, received as part of Birthday BIF (1), thanks to froggyfrog.

Poured at cellar temperature into my Sweetwater pint glass.

A - Black, pitch black. Like used motor oil. Like octopus ink. Like the absence of light. Really dark. Am I getting through to you?
Very little head. What little there was was a caramel brown.

S - Wow! No mystery with this one. C-H-O-C-O-L-A-T-E. The only other aroma I caught at first was a whiff of bourbon. As the glass lowers, a dark plum/cherry/molasses melange arises.

T - See the caps above. Also a strong coffee presence. The alcohol is there as well, to me more in the stomach than in the mouth or nose.

M - Smooth and creamy, we like smooth and creamy. Just enough bitterness to make you want to get more liquid on your tongue.

D - As a novice to this style, I'm not certain what makes a stout drinkable. As a lover of this particular beer however, there is no mystery whatsover.

An excellent beer. It's the coldest night of the year so far here in Northern Illinois. I have a nice fire going, it was my day off, and this is one fine way to spend the evening. I am looking forward to a Winter filled with beers of this style. I only hope I can match the impression this one has made on me.

Scored an 05-06 sixer last week along with some 06-07. Gonna review both and compare/contrast the two.

05-06 Release:

Pours a thick, used motor oil, midnight black with a ridiculous, frothy, caramel brown head that retains fairly well.

Aroma is of sweet milk chocolate, sweet roasted dark malts. Smells like malty Hershey's Chocolate Syrup. Like desert in my glass. Not much alcohol is detected in the nose as I remember it when this first came out last year.

Taste has mellowed out a lot, already. Still a mild alcohol warmth present but when these babies were fresh last year, I remember them being very harsh. Extremely chocolatey, very sweet, coffee flavors all over the place as well, caramel, toffee, cherries. Very dry and incredibly roasty finish that stays in your mouth for a long long time. Extremely tasty and would serve as a tremendous apertif beer.

Mouthfeel is extremely rich and heavy. Thick like mud soup or my '92 Toyota Tercel's engine oil right about now after it hasn't been changed for about 6,000 miles. Just enough carbonation for this beer. This is a meal, and serves well as a desert. Hence, it isn't ridiculously drinkable but it sure is damn tasty.

2.52/5  rDev -39.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

06-07 bottle - 10.6% ABV

The pour into my big ol' snifter raises a one finger light brown head that recedes quickly to a surface littered with large bubbles. Lacing is thin and sudsy. The body is utterly black, even when backlit. I'll let the head retention slip by, considering the extra alcohol. The nose reeks of roast and alcohol, with strong coffee notes and subtle hints of chocolate. Seems fairly one-dimensional, though - not much depth. The taste is sweeter, more acidic, and less roasty than I expected, or what I recall from last year. It's tasty, but here too, there's no depth. It does hide the alcohol well, though. The mouth is more than medium, but not the thickest I've ever had by far. Overall, an easy drinking strong beer, but without much to call me back. I'm glad I didn't buy a case like I originally planned...

3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Had heard a lot of good things about this stout and was not dissapointed. The brew poured thick dark black and left a creamy head. First sip was sweet, followed by burnt caramel and hints of coffee. The sweetness did not let up, as the first sip's flavors stuck to the tongue. The back end provided a slightly smokey character which blended well with the high alcohol content. After 3 bottles had to switch to another another standby before tastebud destruction- too bad because it was cold outside and this stout was the perfect warmer. Overall a very tasty beer- well done.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Found a six of this gem at our local store for $6.99, what a buy. Poured a thick motor oil black with a small mocha hue head that left no lacing. The smell of chocolate is instance, also got a nice blast of roasted malt and burnt caramel. A hint alcohol is also present. What you smell is what you taste. Robust semi-sweet dark chocolate flavor with a hint of roasted malt followed by a hint of alcohol. The texture was thick, creamy and had a soft and subtle carbonation feel. Careful, this brew packs a punch at 10.6% ABV which is well hidden. I personally drink two and move on to something different. Buy a six and enjoy, it won't disappoint.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Poured from a 12 oz marked ‘06-‘07 into a pint glass. This bottle says 10.6% ABV as opposed to the listed 8.5. A deep, dark black. Pours like warm syrup, approx. 1/2" copper/orange head, good retention with notable lacing.

S: Whoa, alcohol. It overpowers the hints of mocha, malt roasty/sweetness, toffee, and the bit of hops.

T: Strong alcohol sharpness, roasty malt flavors go well with the chocolate and coffee flavors which are both heavy. Hints of toffee.

M: This one is thick, definitely notable based on the ABV. Astringent drying can be noted on the tongue after swallowing and just before the syrupy nature takes over again and sticks to the mouth.

D: For those of you living in cold areas, this one could be good to keep around if you got snowed in. It's very warming. More than one or two could easily send someone who isn’t a seasoned veteran in high ABV brews over the edge. Definitely an interesting addition to the imperial stout world.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

12oz. bottle 06-07 edition

Pours a coal black with a small dark chocolate head that fades. Mild lacing on the glass.

Aroma is dominated by roasted malts with some espresso and light cocoa tones. There is a noticeable booziness to the aroma, even at a colder temperature.

Rich roasted malts upfront giving way to layers of espresso and cocoa flavors. Slightly bitter, it finishes with another helping of roasted malt. Even as it warms, the booze noted in the aroma is very hidden in the taste.

Full body, light carbonation.

Even with the elevated ABV, this is much more drinkable than last year's version. In fact, I think this version is superior in every way. I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ages as I suspect it will continue to improve as it matures.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a very dark brown, if not black. Almost no head, somewhat of a lacing ring around the outside of the glass and that's it.
Smells of chocolaty syrup and alcohol. Some roastyness, burnt taste on the back side.
Taste is identical to the smell, with the alcohol being more present. And a stronger roast/burnt flavor left in the mouth.
Mouthfeel is too thin for a imperial stout in my opinion. I prefer it to be more thick and heavier on the mouth.
This is a fairly sessionable beer. The alcohol is quite high and is very noticable in the taste. I'm going to put a few away in the dark to let them mature.
It's a good winter brew that if you haven't tried is well worth it. I personally like the alcohol being elevated in this years offering, and due to that, will keep plenty around all winter.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery