Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
3.73/5  rDev -10.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint

Appearance is black black black. Tiny crown of tan foam on top. Not sure what else you could ask for.

Smell is a little muted. Mostly dark chocolate, toast, some nutty notes.

Taste, lead is heavy bitter to bitter sweet chocolate. Then it fades into, well, sort of a mess. Not bad by any means but I really can't pick anything out. It's a soup of stout flavors fighting each other. I had no problem drinking it, actually quite easy drinking, but it seemed a bit messy.

Mouthfeel is top notch. Thick, rich, optimal carbonation. This aspect really manage to make up for the messy palate and makes it very easy to drink.

Overall - although it's not really complex stout, it seems that this one would benefit from some age to let the flavors figure themselves out. I liked it, I would even recommend people try it, just didn't love it. I'll revisit this in a year or two.

2.75/5  rDev -33.7%

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Let me first start by saying that I love dark chocolate. Let me also say that I love stouts.

I've had many a stout that claim to taste chocolatey or mocha-ish, but this is by far the most authentic "chocolate" stout I have ever had (dark chocolate to be precise).

I first drank this beer by sampling it from the glass of a friend who, knowing I like a good chocolate stout, offered it to me hesitantly knowing I would be floored after drinking it. And they were right.

It starts out smooth but the rush of flavor doesn't wait long to hit you. The chocolate flavor is perfectly balanced by the bitter taste from the alcohol (enhanced by the high level of alcohol I think) as it simmers on your pallate it gives you just enough time to ask yourself if you just drank the perfect chocolate stout or ate the perfect piece of dark chocolate.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Ok the first one I tried was right out of the bottle. I expected a strong tasting stout (which it is) but this beer is much more than that. first sip a bit bitter but with much character. after that, it was love at second pull. I savored each sip really looking for good or not so good. Well, this stout does not disappoint. Rich Chocolate mixed with barley and malt. A serious treat of a stout. Alcohol taste to me was not overbearing at all. Goes down very smooth but beware!! This brew packs a wallop. I had 4 bottles in about 2 hours or so and you will feel it. Have to many and your not going anywhere!! At least not me. A great cold weather brew. At $7.99 a 4 pack, it is well worth it. I wont drink it all the time, but treat myself now and then. I like it!!

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery