Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,722 | Hads: 6,258
4.65/5  rDev +12%

Pours a dark chocolate black with no light penetrating when held up to the light. Produced 2 fingers of creamy dark tan head. Pretty good retention, but eventually recedes to a nice thin film and leaves some laving.

The aroma that I am getting is bitter dark chocolate, licorice, rich coffee, roasted malt and some healthy notes of booze!

Taste follows the nose to the T. I feel like I am drinking liquid black chocolate. Its amazingly good. Along withe the dark chocolate, some subtle notes of coffee and licorice. I'm also getting what I think to be a black cherry finish.

Medium in body and hot!! I wish this was a little heavier, but this beer is hard to criticize. Thick, boozy coating with each sip. Makes you long for the next sip.

Overall, this might be the best bang for your buck stout you can get. $7.50 for a four pack and this stout is sublime. I will make it a point to buy a four pack every time that I go to buy beer until it is off shelves. So you can run and tell that homeboy (999 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

A: Black; no light coming through. Poured 2 finger chocolate head with excellent retention.

S: Big roasted malts, burnt bitter coffee, chocolate. Finishes with dark fruit and alcohol.

T: Consistent with smell; roasted nad chocolate malts most dominant. Earthy bitter hop brought balance to the big malts. Finish was dry and full of warming alcohol.

M: Full body. Litte carbonation. Smooth, rich, creamy and soothing.

D: Let this one warm a bit and sip it slowly by the mouthfull; you'll be pleased. (505 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

A- Pours with a one finger head. Pitch black with nary a hint of light shining through.

S- Rich roasty coffee, chocolate, smoke and alcohol. Vanilla, hints of cherry, wood, and even more chocolate come alive as it warms.

T- Cocolate covered espresso bean, hints of vanilla and ash on the finish. The alcohol hits harder when cold, seems to mellow and linger sweetly as it warms up.

M- Full bodied with a nice alcohol bite... instantly warms your insides up.

D- I love when fall rolls around so i can get my mits on this awesome stout! Perfect with grilled meat... or use it to make an adult ice cream float for dessert. (626 characters)

Winter 11-12

Poured into my Brooklyn stemmed tulip glass

A: 3-4 fingers worth of nut brown head. Black beer that no light penetrates. Lacing all the way down the glass as I drink. Sexyness in a glass!

S: Bitter chocolate, with hints of roasted coffee. Touch of sweet maltiness.

T: Sweet malts give way to bitter roasted notes with a mocha/ milk chocolate finish.

M: This beer coats my mouth with a delicious chocolate film. Slightly creamy feel gives way to crisp finish.

O: Wow, this beer is delicious, and dangerously so at 10%. Perfect on a winter night or with dessert. Black Chocolate Stout has never disappointed me and this year is no exception. I look forward to enjoying this beer all winter long! (713 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - black in color with a light to decent head. thick looking!

Smell - This is as roasty. The malts and smells of chocolate are of the "super-dark" type. I can actually pick up several types of chocolate and coffee aromas. this beer shows a lot of depth in character.

Taste - This is like drinking a dark chocolate drink and callng it a beer. It is so dark and so chocolaty, it's unbelievable. This one definitely lives up to its name.

Mouthfeel - This beer is full in the mouth, was very big with an amazing smoothness. lipsmacking!

Drinkability - enjoy the flavors all on their own. This is incredible. but for kicks, have some chocolate with... it will wow you

Comments - very good but strong beer.... I love very good but strong beers! its a winter winner!!!! (781 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Dark brown as it pours but settles solid black in the glass with a pencil width high head of tight creamy foam of light leathery brown color, much like light chocolate, which is fitting for this stout. Some strings and spots of lace.
Smell is nose smacking gorgeous goodness of very sweet and rich chocolate with a nice dark fruit mixing in there of bananas, dark cherries, and starfruit. One great whiffer!
Taste is more scruptious sweet chocolate, moderately twinged and tanged at first, a bit hefty and dark, touch of burntness, smooths out leaving traces of dark fruits and a super nice thick luscious drying sense. Some sweet tingly senses introduced as well in this flavor packed punch of a stout. Its not to complex, but its fulfilling in a simple sense and tone. Rockin' good! Feel is pretty heavy and full, lightly sweet hold at the start, goes smooth, creamy, and boldly drying and tingly into the finish.
This is a supurb stout and highly enjoyable and I recommend it highly. I am very, very unlucky though, as it is not available here in Minnesota. Hopefully it will cross over the Mississippi some day soon, really soon. Those of you who can readily pick this stuff up, you don't know how lucky you are. Awesome stuff! (1,234 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Standard Brown 12 oz. bottle, vintage winter ’03-‘04
Aroma: Rich coffee, chocolate malts and a slight bittersweet blend, very inviting.
Appearance: I got a thin leather brown head that was fed by several streams of carbonation. A few small fingers of lace trailed after a very modest ring (I may need to take better care of my glassware). It looks like a glass of midnight; I had to put it right up against a bulb to get a few rays of light through that just showed clear black. Not brown, not ruby: black.
Flavor: An oddly neutral taste while I hold it in my mouth, but as I swallow, the bomb goes off. First is a slight bitter spike, masterful use of hops. As that fades a sweet molasses soothes, followed closely by a rich, high quality tobacco taste that trails off into a wisp of smoke. As it warmed, I got a hint of alcohol taste but it was well hidden. Some nice toffee tastes came out late as well. The entire beer holds together as a complete package.
Mouthfeel: This is one of the fullest beers I have ever put in my mouth, thicker than my heaviest homebrews. Almost syrupy, a heavy chew and it left about 7 coats throughout my entire mouth. It numbed my gums just slightly.
Overall Impression: Glad I was sitting down, this stuff rocked my world. Beer for Russian Royalty? This is beer for the Gods! A superb Imperial Stout. As I check the BJCP guide for reference, I’m not terribly surprised to find this beer listed as a classic example. Drinkability? While this beer slaked my thirst in a mighty way, I could probably drink another, and it is a beer I’d be happy to acquire again. Many thanks to mattcrill (actually, his wife) for the bottle, I am indebted. If you are lucky enough to see this little gem in your local store, buy it, all of it.

2015 edit: Bringing taste down by .25 to rank it appropriately in my top beers. (1,844 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

I poured the black viscous liquid into a pint glass. Somewhat surprised that the head was minimal but as I drank it left a beautiful caramel colored lace down the glass.
Coffee and chocolate in the nose. A lovely thick malty aroma.
First thought: YEAH!! It was a very smooth malty presence with a comforting bitter after taste. The initial sweetness lingers for awhile then is washed away with a blast of coffee bitterness.
"Calm, Cool, Collected" Nice crisp carbonation.
Quite a remarkable beer. A stout that has a wonderful sweetness as well as a defined bitterness that is amazingly balanced. Quite an accomplishment. Big Props. (632 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured into a imperial pint glass with a 1 inch dark tan head. Large carb bubbles line the sides of the glass with medium head retention. Sticky matted lacing clings to the walls of the glass as it warms. Completely opaque black color and just the slightest drop of light coming through in the bottom of the glass revealing a dark ruby port color.

Cocoa and dark fruit like raisins and burnt dates are on the nose. Deeply complex ash and chocolate malts are abundant.

Taste was intense and lovely with dark fruit and chocolate pronounced throughout. I did notice a slightly soapy taste in the aftertaste however. As it warmed up the taste faded. Little bitterness except framing up the balance is present. A lovely representation of this style.

Deeply intense and warming as you swish this over your taste buds it's defiantly a winner. Cheers (848 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A-- viscous black, opaque. Slight head dissipates quickly
S-- a strong sweet chocolate aroma, roasted malt as well
T-- subtler and smoother than I expected, slight bite in the aftertaste, but nothing unpleasant. Very drinkable for a high ABV
M-- heavyish and thick. Almost chewy.

O-- really very good. (337 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Outstanding! I can't wait for the winter months to roll around each year so I can get myself a case of this to savor. As black and opaque as possible when put up to light, its appearance has a light brown head that follows the pour and gives great lacing. It has a strong aroma of coffee and deeply roasted malts. The flavor follows that up with more coffee, roasted and burnt notes and also has a very strong hoppiness. A tiny taste of alcohol is there too. The beer feels like oil in your mouth with carbonation that compliments it perfectly. Overall, this is probably the best beer I have ever had and it is an absolute must for anyone that likes craft beers! (662 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Poured from bottle into 8oz glass.

A - Poured non-transparent black color with medium tan head that slowly dissipated leaving lots of lacing around the glass.

S - Very complex, roasted malts, chocolate, toffee, caramel and a hint of coffee.

T - Very complex just like smell. Malts upfront followed by coffee and dark chocolate bitterness with slightly nutty aftertaste.

M - Full bodied with high carbonation.

D - Easy going and abv is well masked but very filling. Definitely a sipper. (490 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%

This is on of my absolute favorite beers. It has become a staple beer to have in my fridge. I have used it for cooking regularly as well. In brownies it is fantastic. Cooking some pork chops in it is divine, but of coarse there is nothing better than enjoy a pint next to some chocolate truffles. Mmm.

Appearance: WOW! This is as black as they come. I thought I had seen a black beer before but ... this is truly black. Great 3 finger head in my pint glass. Superb lacing! Overall; exceptional appearance.

Smell: The name says it all! Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, not surprisingly, smells like chocolate. It is neither bitter nor sweet but blend of the two. The smell of roasted malts and toffee hide behind the chocolate, and hang in the back of your nose.

Taste: Unbelievable! This is perfectly balanced bitter-sweet roasted chocolate malts. Then there is a slight hint of a coffee mocha in the aftertaste. That’s it! As unexpected as it is, I found this to be a surprisingly simple taste. But its one that demands: "Accept me, I'm perfect." I usually prefer more complex and thought provoking flavors; however, this smooth dream-come-true shouts "Throw a log on the fire, put your feet up and watch the snowfall outside, because it is ALL good in here"!

Mouthfeel: This is perfection! It's the most soft, fluffy, creamy, full, hearty yet gentle mouthfeel I have encountered to date!

Drinkability: While this is one of the easiest beers in your mouth, it would be wrong to waste the experience by drinking it too fast. Also, insist on letting this one warm up to just below room temp or you'll really miss out. Respect this beer. It is a marvelous creation. It goes down so easy that before you know it your picking up the pace. Slow down. Sip this while you relax with the family on a cold winter night.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers! (1,859 characters)

4.66/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of the favorite's from BB. Pour on a 6oz plastic cup from the Brewery. Had this stout at least four times on the tour. There's a hint of chocolate to it .....great aroma indeed. This is a top notch beer and would highly recommend. (234 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

L:
-pours the darkest of brown with a creamy,khaki head
-no light coming through
S:
-chocolate,coffee,nutty,vanilla,tobacco
T:
-chocolate,syrup,molasses
-Plums,raisins and figs coming through as the Beer warms up
-strong coffee and mocha finish
F:
-medium-full body,low-medium carbonation
-not boozy at all
O:
A great Imperial Stout (332 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Grabbed this one on-tap after enjoying it in the bottle a bunch of times. Look was solid if not great - might have been the glassware. Pitch black with a tiny tan head that left no real lacing. Chocolate, roasted malt and fruit in the nose. A very tasty beer - lots of deep chocolate and roasted malt with a nice hint of cherry and dried fruit in there. Body is full and delicious, perfect for the style. Very nice, overall. (424 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Quite an experience with my first Brooklyn Brewery beer. Pours intensely dark (motor oil darkness) with a large dark tan head that holds longer than I thought it would. Aroma is of dark chocolate, roasted grains, and a little fruit like whole strawberries. Taste has a really strong deep dark Belgian chocolate flavor. Quite nice. Espresso looms large and so does a roasted nut flavor. Sharp acidic twang toward the finish. Body is lucious and thick. Almost Expedition levels. Alcohol is well hidden but I'm still surprised it doesn't reach the double digits with the warming sensations and thickness of this beer. With about 4 ounces left I brought out the Ben and Jerry's Vanilla Ice Cream and these two matched beautifully. Really a great accompaniment to dessert. Great beer all around. (790 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

This brew is a choc-o-holics delight. The chocolate malts are intense and delicious. Explodes on the palate to deliver a smoky, malty mouthfeel that is exquisite. Just enough alcohol in the back to perk up the taste buds, but not too much. Hops are well defined, but not too spicy. Bravo.. (289 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Hadn't had this one in a while and forgot how fantastic it is.

Not sure I've had a better, pure-dessert chocolate stout than this.

Pours pitch blac and looks like motor oil at first. I thought I wouldn't get much fo a head so I poured more vigor, and voila - a huge tan head.

Aromas scream chocolcate of high quality. Molasses and cream are also noticed. The taste matches the aroma with added coffee and an overlying roastiness that just gives you the impression all the ingreidients are singing together as one. Teh alcohol is masked very well. But it doesn't provide some warmth.

Drinkabtility? I couldn't put it down... Mouthfeel was silky smooth.

This was my dessert after a steak dinner, and it was perfect. I look forward ot my next one! (753 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Bought a six-pack of the '03-'04 batch over a year ago and put it in storage until this weekend. Such a good idea. The beer poured a midnight black with a thick, brown head that never went away. The lace clung to the glass extremely stubbornly the whole time while I was drinking it. As soon as I opened up the bottle aromas of chocolate and rich malts were wafting out. With the pour the aroma just got stronger. The hops are slightly bitter, but balanced with rich malts. Chocolate is (of course) ever so very present but coffee and molasses also come through on the tongue. I aged this a year, I can only imagine what it would've tasted in a cask. Do they have that? After two, I took notice that the alcohol is a lot higher than the flavor lets on. I limited myself to two, but because of how extremely rich this beer is I do not know if my palate cannot take a third without burning out. (892 characters)

2010 vintage

A. A lovely oil slick black with about a finger of dark brown head that slowly effervesces to a light tan. Retention is pretty good at half a finger. Lacing is absolutely gorgeous and truly coats the glass. A classic looking stout here.

S. Perfect. Coffee roast, dark chocolate, mild vanilla, caramel, dark fruit, and some very very subtle hop presence. Beautiful bouquet.

T. More baking chocolate, coffee bean, dark fruit, caramel, and a little stronger zesty hop presence. Finish is slightly drying with hops and a little booze. Near-perfect balance between sweet, roasty, and dry here. Wow.

M. Creamy is exactly how I would describe this. Luscious, decadent, and smooth as a Hershey Kiss, this beer has some perfectly integrated flavor and drinks amazingly.

O. Nearly perfect, without the mildly boozy finish, it likely would have been. This is a spectacular stout and should in no way be penalized for its ample quantity and wide distribution. In fact, it should be praised for absolutely hitting it out of the park on such a broad scale. One of the best imperial stouts I have had. (1,104 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

(Bottle into English Pint) This is from the 09-10 season. Poured a creamy, rich black with a think tan head that fell slowly. Nose was fully of chocolate and a smooth roast, with a hint of coffee. this was very appealing after some of the other seasonal stouts I had this year. Once I tasted this, I was far from disappointed as this is easily the best winter seasonal of this year I have had so far. Drink is very smooth and creamy, with subtle flavors melding very nicely on the tongue pulling out chocolate and coffee flavors at various points. A subtle hop aftertaste finishes this very nicely! (598 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pitch black color. The head is large and brown. It dissipates quickly and leaves considerable lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of coffee, chocolate, and fruit. Has hints of plums, something I've never found in a stout before.

Taste: Starts with an intense chocolate flavor that absolutely rocks your taste buds. Develops into a coffee/dark chocolate flavor with hints of fruit and roasted malts. Surprisingly, the alcohol is not very noticeable in this one.

Mouthfeel: As full-bodied and smooth as you could possibly want.

Drinkability: A great beer and one everyone should try. By far the best stout I've had so far. (702 characters)

'05-'06 vintage

a - poured a one finger thick coffee-colored head into an oversized goblet. the body was black and poured like motor oil. left a light sheet and ring throughout. this baby looked niiiice.
s - deep, dark, powerful chocolate aroma with a hint of dark fruits like raisins.
t - roasted chocolate and coffee, very malty and rich brew.
m - chewy and thick, wonderful mouthfeel.
d - what a great sipper this is. as good a beer for dessert on a cold night that i can think of. (485 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

DATE TASTED: January 2, 2014... GLASSWARE: Guinness pint...OCCASION: snow day #1 of the young winter season--and the last day watching season one of Game of Thrones... APPEARANCE: I've read some critics suggest taking the "appearance" out of a beer's rating--and when rating this, I see why; pitch black body; intimidating thick brown head that froths; taking the black indeed--what else to say? beautiful... AROMA: robust chocolate; roasted hazelnut; nice, rich, balanced maltiness--an intense, densely packed aroma... PALATE: immediately warming, full-bodied presence; creamy, almost too smooth to be believed--or trusted, at 10% ABV; as the glass drains, friendlier and swifter to the throat...TASTE: strong malt backbone; chocolate, molasses and some roasted nutty suggestions--but all is sweet here, like a dessertif should be... OVERALL: a tour de force, and outside their collaborations with Schneider, my favorite Brooklyn offering....if price were no issue, this would be in heavy winter rotation in my beer fridge... (1,026 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery