Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

4.15/5  rDev 0%

A - Bottle looks very nice. Simple design

S- Smells as thick as it tasted with a slight chocolaty aroma

T- Creamy dark chocolate taste with a slight taste of alcohol near the end that was not overpowering. Bittersweet

M- Very thick feeling that was welcomed by my palate. Smooth creamy texture that was very pleasant.

O- A nice rich chocolate RIS that I would recommend to any fan of the stout variety.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

This is my first review, and I am not an extremely versed stout drinker, so keep that in mind when factoring this review into your decision about whether or not to try this beer. We all gotta start somewhere...

Glass - Snifter

A - Pours a very deep brown/coffee color with very minimal head which quickly dissipates. Roughly opaque as dirty motor oil. Moderate lacing fades slowly down the glass between sips with small retention around edges.

S - A toasty chocolate aroma with a hint of tree bark and roasted dark malts. Perhaps even a little raisin. The scent of alcohol is present and slightly distracting for the first few sips, but I found my senses quickly adjusted to appreciate the smells in concert with one another.

T - The chocolate aroma translates into a more subtle flavor, giving way to more of a charred taste which I might describe as the beer version of the flavor that comes from a wood-fired pizza oven. At a 10.0%, the alcohol is a little bit out of balance for the first few sips. It may be off-putting to other non-stout drinkers such as myself, but I strongly encourage you to stick with it before ruling out the taste as not to your liking! Also, I found the taste to be more palpable at a temperature slightly above what I'm used to, so maybe try that out if you're not feeling it.

M - I am not used to judging mouth feel, but I would say I haven't had many thinner-feeling beers that are as dark or darker than this. Leaves a semi-sticky aftertaste that somewhat coats the mouth in a coffee grounds flavoring.

O - Very pleased with this seasonal offering from Brooklyn Brewery. It is not exactly up my alley, but represented itself and its style very well. I see myself sipping this one again in a long session as I read or do work late at night. I will probably not have a reason to buy another 4 pack, but I would definitely recommend it, and would jump on trying it if I saw it somewhere on tap. If I had only gotten a couple sips of this, my opinion would be totally different, so all your non-stout drinkers, stick with this one!

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%