Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 6,139 | Reviews: 2,730

3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

3.41/5  rDev -17.8%

Winter '12-'13. Not the best chocolate stout I've ever had, or even chocolate beer for that matter. When the chocolate taste does come through, it is enjoyable. But this stout doesn't exactly match up to Guinness Draught.

A - A great black color with a dark brown head.
S - Initially smelled of chocolate, then turned nasty
T - Initially of chocolate once again, then became muddled with all kinds of flavors that I can't really discern, but was not enjoyable. Ultimately finished with some more warm dark chocolate.
M - It's drinkable. The taste is very inconsistent though, which does sort of affect mouthfeel. The alcohol is not noticeable until the finish, but that's normal.
O - Brooklyn makes some other beers that I like a lot, so I had higher expectations for this one. At this price, I probably would not get this again. A 22oz bottle of Rogue's chocolate stout would've been a much better investment even if it meant half as much beer.

4.18/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Bruery Tulip.

A: Deep dark black pour. Aggressive pour leads to a monster 3 finger cocoa whipped cream head that fades ever so slowly leaving the thickest lacing trail I've ever seen.

S: Cocoa, coffee, molasses, some hop bitterness.

T: Nice chocolate and coffee mix. Almost like a strong mocha. ABV finds it's way to the way back of the throat in the flavor.

M: Perfectly carbonated, nice mostly big body.

O: Nice sipping winter beer. One of my all time favorite beers from one of my all time favorite breweries.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Bottle is from the 2012-2013 winter brew. A hard pour into a chalice gives a nice two finger head, which is straight up brown. The beer itself is black as could be. Watching the head settle looks almost like a nitro pour. Beautiful.

S: Dried plums, alcohol, and chocolate of the baker's variety. Not much sweetness here. It promises to be quite tasty, as there are a bunch of underlying notes, but I can't can't pick them out. I did notice some roasted malts as it warms up.

T: Balanced and the alcohol matches well to the other flavors. Obviously, chocolate is the main flavor, but it's hard for me to discern the other flavors. it kinda just hits all at once, and I can't separate them. But, I like the way it tastes. I would give a higher score if I didn't feel like the flavors were mauling my tongue.

M: Smooth as any stout I've had, like a good oatmeal. Light carbonation, silky and full-bodied. Afterwards, though, it hangs around a bit longer than I like. Otherwise, It's about perfect.

O: A very good beer, and one that I have come to really enjoy. I will save a 4-pak in hopes that in about a year, maybe some sweetness will come through, or the subtle flavors will pull through a little stronger. And at 10%, it hides it extremely well.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery