Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,735 | Hads: 6,339
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at Market Cross Pub in Carlisle, PA last night with my wife's uncle. He treated me to a celebratory beer(s) in honor of our son who was born a little over 2 weeks ago.

The waitress brought me a black, light-tight beverage with a nice tan head. It looks thick and rich.

Smells are roasted malt with definite dark chocolate and coffee overtones.

The first sip brought a rich, creamy, smooth, roasted molasses flavor. The second sip was gloriously chocolate and coffee-like and left a lingering sweet tickle on the sides of my tongue. This is one awesome beer!

I wouldn't suggest having this beer with a meal. Instead, have it all by itself and enjoy each delicious mouthful.

Appearance: Pitch black with a frothy, tan head.

Aroma: Sweet malt and chocolate. Some alcohol present.

Taste: Rich coffee and chocolate. Dry, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Coating, but dry. Slightly sour and acidic.

Drinkability: Balanced, but not a favorite of mine.

Tasted blind at the Saint Louis BA tasting 12/14/03

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Appearance – I’ll actually call this black in color (which I seldom due) with a decent head.

Smell – This is as roasty as it gets. The malts and chocolate are super-dark, reflecting the color of the ale. I can actually pick up several types of chocolate here, a fine dark style being the most prominent. The roasted malts are burnt and lovely, showing a lot of depth in character.

Taste – This is like drinking dark chocolate coca powder. It is so dark and so chocolaty, it’s unbelievable. This one definitely lives up to its name.

The malts are equally as mature, complimented at the tongue with some nice fruiting that I failed to pick out at the nose. I particularly enjoy the prune and cherry mix that I’m getting here.

Mouthfeel – This was not full in the mouth, but it was very big with an amazing smoothness. It will most assuredly pucker your mouth with the bitter dark chocolate character.

Drinkability – I thought about eating a Hershey’s with this just for kicks, but decided to enjoy the flavors all on their own. This was incredible.

Comments – A big thanks to OldFrothingSlosh who sent me this just for the hell of it after we did a previous trade. This was an enjoyable and very unique experience for me, and I greatly appreciate the gesture.

BeerAdvocates rule!

3.9/5  rDev -6%

bottle of the '02-'03, tasted on jan 21th 2004
pour thick and black like dirty motor oil (except it's sort of appetizing in this context). black with a thin brown head that doesn't linger. smells like unsweetened bakers chocolate with a slight black licorice undertone. it smells faintly alcoholic too. tastes chocolatey as hell. can't pick out any of the licorice form the smell. slightly grainy tastes develop after a few sips. slight hoppiness goes well with the beitter chocolate flavors. a thick mouthfeel suits this intensely rich stout. drinkability suffers a little though, it's really heavy and rich i can't see drinking more than one of these in a sitting, or even very often.

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a dark black, it looks just like chocolate syrup. It left a minimalist light-tan head that didn't stay around for long. The aroma is very powerful, reaching my nose after the pour, before bringing my glass up off the table. It smells of chocolate, like a chocolate milkshake. Not much else, as far as I can tell. The taste is similar, starts of very chocolatey and the chocolate sticks around through much of the sip. As I swallowed, and especially when I breathed out my nose, I noticed a sharp bitter metallic taste, which wasn't especially pleasing. The alcohol is hidden extremely well behind the chocolate background. The mouthfeel is very heavy and syrupy, but seems very appropriate for this beer. The carbonation level is nice. Though the pint went down easily enough, I couldn't drink more than 2 of these in a sitting and 1 per sitting seems more appropriate.

I liked this beer, but was a little disappointed with it. Chocolate stouts have been hit or miss with me, I love Young's but didn't like Rogue very much. This falls in the middle. The chocolate taste was not overwhelming, like Rogue's, but there isn't much else going on. It is not as smooth as Young's. The BBCS is a very nice dessert beer...actually skip the dessert and just drink this! I was a little surprised that this was an imperial stout, as I didn't notice the complexity I normally do with the style. I also didn't really notice the alcohol at all.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Out of a bottle, Extreme Beer Fest 2004...

Opaque black color. Great glistening 1/2 inch head of light brown color. Heavy lacing properties. Malty caramel aroma, some alcohol sense, overall sweetish and milk chocolate though. Mouthfeel is excellent, smooth and consistent and well-composed. Impression is chocolate-based to be sure, a touch of roast and coffee, but overall, very sweet. Pleasant aftertaste. In many ways this beer falls short of Imperial fire and comes off a tad too saccharin for me. I was looking for more burnt tones, dark fruits, hops, and power.

2.47/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2002-2003 vintage

Who put highland scotch in my glass? The nose on Brooklyn is alcohol muddied by stale mocha and what the wine world would call "funk." Deep with earth yet ready to burst with hops, the stout smells like a true Russian IS mixed with the overhopped American intepretation. Either that, or it smells like the reason Russia needed its own IS -- by the time the 3abv British stouts made it over to the Ukraine, they had begun to rot.

The taste is thin. I'm immediately pressed with bitterness -- some from the hops and some from an overuse of burnt grain. The main taste isn't chocolate or any variation of chocolate malt; it's cola and alcohol. And somewhere within all of this is a shot of sherry finished highland scotch.

I would say this beer is young, but the weak flavors, low alcohol, and overall washed out quality makes me think this stuff wouldn't stand a chance in the cellar. And, if the alcohol really is under 10% in this vintage, Brooklyn does a miserable job of masking it.

Relax, relax.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%

The color was black with a moderate tan head. The smell was of chocolate and coffee. The taste was also of chocolate and coffee, but it was too much for me. All I tasted was the chocolate. It was kind of a musty feel. It also had a slight hint of coffee. It tasted like a "senior living community" smells. But it did go down pretty good.

3.2/5  rDev -22.9%

12 oz bottle. Part of my Holiday trade. Thanks Loki! Poured a pitch black with a massive head that really stuck around. Lots of lacing on the glass. Aroma is a strong roasted, almost burnt coffee. The taste for me was all over the place. Thick and chewy like a stout should be. But way too young I think. Good thing I got another bottle today from ManekiNeko in my BIF 4.0 package, gotta let this thing age for awhile and try it again. I just couldn't get through this. There is just something in this that didn't go over very well.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

Release 2003 – 2004
The beer pours an atramentous color with a thick behemothic chocolate colored head that last longer than the winter’s In Maine, that’s for your benefit bennybrew “tee hee”. The aroma of fresh coffee, sweet chocolate, malt, citrus crisp and fresh, start is delightfully sweet, rich in malt, the top full and rich in its feel to the palate. Finish is dynamically hopped, measured in its acidity, the aftertaste bittersweet chocolate dry and quite long lasting, a beer I wait for each year and always hate to see it go, I thank “UncleJimbo” for this bottle.

Release 2002 - 2003
As much as the Bell’s Expedition stout was devoid of head, this beer has a monumental head, creamy like whipped chocolate which is its color and as it evanesces, leaves behind a thick sheet of lace to smother the glass. The aroma of hot chocolate, sweet malt, hints of coffee and the toasted grains make this a quite sniffable brew, what a treat to this old honker. Sweet as chocolate fudge on the start, top thick and full to the palate, finish has a delightful amount of carbonation, the hops pertinent but not overpowering, bittersweet chocolate dry aftertaste that lingers on the palate for hours. Delightful stout, and a must if your into the dark side.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

This '03-'04 edition poured a pitch black color with a thick, compact brown head that disappeared kind of quickly, but left excellent lacing. Vinous aroma of dark chocolate, dark fruit, coffee, espresso and currants. Lots going on with all these roasted malts. Taste of burnt, bittersweet chocolate and coffee, but has a nice hop balance to keeping it from being too sweet. Thick-bodied with a nice warming sensation in the belly. Alcohol shows its presence, but is not overbearing. What a wonderful winter warmer. I have been drinking this treat since it first hit the market back in '94 when Garrett Oliver just started working at the Brooklyn Brewery.

4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

12 oz. bottle, Nonick Pint Glass

Poured black as night, almost like the dark stuff our beergdreams are made of. Little to no head, giving way to a clear view into the darkness of the beer. It smells exactly like chocolate or dark patent malts. The roast is everpresent. The taste however, highlights this roasted smell. Imagine the darkest chocolate you've ever eaten mixed with coffee but without the bitterness. Until the end of the sip, when you have an aftertaste of the alcohol with a lingering roast. This is definitely a sipper, as it is full of flavor as well as a high ABV.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Been waiting to try this one. Pours an extremely dark color with a thin tan head that leaves a little lacing on the glass. The aroma was mostly just malts, but there was a faint hint of coffee and a little less of chocolate. Now for the flavor: Initially I got a burst of dark chocolate flavor, followed closely by a sweet malty flavor, then it finished with a strong alcohol tone. A lot more smooth than I had first imagined, but it could be more so if they could mask the alcohol a little better. Still a wonderful brew and the initial burst of chocolate was superb. Loved this one. I think it took me nearly 40 minutes to finish it because I kept just sipping it to get the most of the flavor.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Reviewed from notes.

A dark, straight black in color, with a thick brown cream head. Has a roasted, malt like smell. Taste is eloquent (if that is proper English), tasting like burnt chocolate, but lingers with a dark chocolate aftertaste. Surprisingly, this brew is quite sweet and malty for a stout. Hoppy and delicious. The carbonation seems especially strong. Very easy to drink, I love this stuff! Thumbs up.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured a thick, ebony body with a dark tan head that dissipated rather quickly (even with a vigorous pour). Small bits of lace we sparsely scattered around the glass.
The aroma was all malt with espresso and chocolate, but not as chocolate as I expected.
The taste was amazing, a little un-sweetened chocolate chip flavor up front. This gave way to bitterness like coffee beans and dark roasted malt. Can still taste the chocolate hare, but this beer never got sweet like I may have expected it to. Finishes crisp and dry with a little hoppiness that made this damn near perfect.
Great chewy mouth feel and dense body. The alcohol warms a bit, but is not overpowering.
This chocolate stout is a little more drinkable than I expected it to be. Well done.

4.41/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours pitch black with a stiff creamy tan head.

Tastes brilliant of chocolate and roasted malt. It's slightly sour even which is a great contrasting flavor that gives this a lot of depth. The alcohol flavor is amazingly hidden.

Mouthfeel and body are great.

A very tasty beer that I am so, so glad I bought when I was out East. Comparing this to Young's Double Chocolate Stout is worthless, they are too different, but both are awesome. Gotta check this one out if you get a chance.

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first of the 6-pack (2003/2004) that I brought back from my trip home.

Pours a very, very dark black color with a thin head that's at first a beautiful reddish-brown. The head disappointingly faded away quite quickly.

The scent? Not as enticing as I'd hoped - mostly just esters and alcohol, and no chocolate or malt.

But the taste? Mmmmm. Almost like biting into a piece of very dark chocolate. Yum. A lingering burnt wood taste, almost of burnt nuts stuck around, causing me literally to say outloud "My god that's delicious" without realizing it (I was alone at the time). A smoky, burnt taste lingers even more, reminding me slightly of peanut butter for some reason. As it warmed I even detected a bit of cherries in there, along with the malt and chocolate. Yum (again).

The alcohol hit me pretty strong, but I really enjoyed drinking this stuff - definitely a fantastic winter brew.

4.15/5  rDev 0%

Brooklyn black chocolate stout

Appeareance, jet black with a thin head leaving a slim sticky lacing.

Aroma: All malts, bitter chocolate and coffee.

Flavor: Initially very sweet, roasted malty flavor. This leads to a taste of good bitter chocolate, tempered by a bit of smoke and roasted flavor. The backend hits with a punch of alchohal. Very pleasant. 4.5

Smooth and thick, just like a stout should be. A bit peppery from the alchohol. 3.5.

Drinkability. So strong and thick, can be tough to put down a lot. Very tasty though. 4.0

3.26/5  rDev -21.4%

'03-'04 version.

Jet black in appearance with a large head of tan foam. The aroma is intense with dark sweet chocolate and the strong presence of alcohol. Also detected caramel, raisins and the scent of an old leather glove. The flavors are also strong and complex, with heavy roasted grain, coffee liqueur and a cordial-like sweetness. The beer finishes dry with a pleasant bitterness, but the alcohol is still a bit harsh and abrupt. This version could be a bit young yet and could do with some aging. Nevertheless, it was enjoyable.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

This beer poured rich, thick with a nice foamy head with thick bubbles struggling to surface. The scents are faint but definite alcohol and coffee hints. This is a beer that needs to warm and when it does it is a beautiful beer. Bitter like good cold coffee with strong bitter chocolate flavors. The mouthfeel is silky and creamy. The alcohol is there to remind you this is a big beer but not overbearing. Another excellent beer to taste with chocolate.

"05-06. Wow I can't believe that its been almost two years since I've tasted this. Not much to add except I need to review this one again a year later to let the flavors blend a bit better. Still damn tasty though. thanks Kmpitz for this bottle.

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

It pours a rich, dark chocolate brown, until the glass is full, when it becomes a light-proof black. There's a dense, creamy tan head, retaining well, then settling to a mottled, oily crust of tight bubbles. A fine veil of lacing slides slowly back to the pool on the sides of the glass.

There's a strong dark malt aroma, roasted in nature, and a very real chocolate presence. There's a sweetness that carries the whiff of alcohol, and a trace of hops fighting through the fog of grain.

A sip brings a sweet shot of roasted malt, tasting almost baked, like bread, with a nasal spritz of alcohol. There's espresso seasoned with dark chocolate, and an alcohol glow as it works its way down. There's an understated hops flavor that comes on slightly stronger at the very finish. Interestingly, also at the finish was a taste of what I could only identify as fine leather, like a good wallet, and while that may sound bizarre, I can tell you it was not at all unpleasant.

It's not as heavy as I expected, but well heavier than medium. It coats the mouth teasingly, lingering like a tasty oil, and finishing with the anticipated bitter hops tingle.

The hops play an especially understated role in this beer, but with the density of complexity of the malt component, the uneveness is actually a good thing, keeping it from becoming too busy. The high ABV comes through clearly, but that's a necessary by-product of the prodigious grain bill. In spite of the alcohol, I could easily have one or two more and still function happily. Well, OK, I wouldn't be operating any heavy machinery, but I would be wearing a simple satisfied grin.

4.27/5  rDev +2.9%

Dark-as-night appearance, though the head disappointed a bit. An aggressive pour did bring up as much of the foamy as expected.

Sweet malty, sweet chocolate smell that make a sweet tooth's mouth water.

Fat, full taste with a nice mix of bitter and sweet. Robust flavor that sticks around and is welcome to spend the weekend. Alcohol warmth adds another layer.

Smooth, although Young's Double Chocolate has the edge here.

Great dessert. Fitting for a winter stout.

3.97/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured jet black with very little head and no visible lace. Carbonation was good. Chocolately aroma tempered somewhat with a roasted coffee and maybe some chicory notes ? Flavor was a little sweet upfront then overpowering rush of alcoholic malt flavors. Great mouthfeel and alcohol is present but not uncomfortable. Little bit on the sweet side but overall balance is very good.

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

Yummy. Darkest head I've ever seen. The beer itself seems to be impenetrable to light.

Smell is somewhat muted but the taste is phenomenally rich. Chocolate and coffee right upfront. Alcohol comes through as well. I wish I could instantly age one of these but I guess I'll have to wait.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

Winter '03-'04 edition. Poured from a 12oz. bottle. Had an inpenetrable jet black color with a firm, lumpy mocha head that left little lace. Smell was a noseful of black malts, dark fruit, chocolate and alcohol aromas.
The taste was a plethora of roasted black malt, lightly sweetened with some black currant and prune notes. A hefty dose of baker's chocolate and a hard alcohol punch finished off each taste. There was a long bitter chocolate and burnt grain taste and a warming alcohol kick. The feel was full, rich, and chewy, with a dry finish.
A real potent brew that isn't afraid to show off the alcohol content inside. Drinkability took a minor hit as the prominant alcohol taste kept me from knocking this beer back in short order. Still, Brooklyn Brewery's Black Chocolate Stout is one of my top three favorite imperial stouts. A real winner.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery