Microbrew Invitational

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,780 | Ratings: 6,544
4.34/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - pours very dark / black, small brownish foamy head that dissipated quickly. Lacing is evident and holds to the side of the glass. Some presence of bubbles that sets execrations for astringency in mouthfeel. Aroma - initial smells I picked up chocolate, vanilla and liquorice elements. Taste - roasted taste, has a balanced hoppy and malty taste. Mouthfeel - has astringency and warmth. Overall - purchased the beer of a recommendation, overall it has lived up to the recommendation.

4.21/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark brow, minimal brown head fades quickly. Smells of bitter chocolate. Flavor is bitter chocolate, dark fruits. Bitter finish. Expected this to be sweeter. Big warming finish. Very well done.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours very thick, dark black with a brown creamy head. Smells and taste of rich roasted malt with hints of cocoa and coffee. If this brew contained a stronger hop presence it would rival Storm King.

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Wow. This is an excellent stout. I got 2-3 fingers of foam and after every drink the heavy lacing seems to last forever. Initial smell is of dark fruit and dark chocolate.

The flavor is pretty much the same. There is not a hint of alcohol in the taste. Mouthfeel is about as full as it comes and completely coats your mouth.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Winter 07-08 Release

A: Pours jet black with a thick, creamy brown-tan head. Significant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Roasted malts and chocolate pleasantly fill the nose.

T: Sweet, roasted chocolate dominate.

M: Smooth and creamy when it hits the tongue with a nice smooth, silky finish.

D: Its high ABV does not lend itself normally to high drinkability but it just tastes so darn good! Ok, maybe one more...

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

2009-2010 vintage poured into a brooklyn brewery snifter.

Appearance is beautiful pitch black with a thin tan head that sticks with you throughout.
Smell is a little less hot then fresh, you still get the chocolate and alcohol scents mixed with burnt caramel and some smoke scents come through aswell.
taste is exceptional, even better then fresh, you dont have a lot of chocolate flavors there anymore but the sweetness is in there. I taste more caramels and smoke flavor with the alcohol coming through at the end.
The mouthfeel is thick and rich of flavors and some carbonation, very smooth and creamy with a little bite from the alcohol in the end.

Overall the drinkability is almost to good, to the point where I want another and another. Brooklyn is one of my favorite breweries and not just because I live in NY, they make some of the best brews hands down.

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

I drank this beer in a standard clean pint glass on a cold evening after dinner. Dessert beer FTW!

Appearance - Pitch black at first glance. Dark brown hues can be seen when held up to the light. Nice thick light brown head lingers for a bit.

Smell - Toasted dark chocolate malt. Mouth watering to say the least.

Taste - True to it's aroma and it's name, nice toasty dark chocolate with some light nutty undertones. This is exactly what I hope for in a Russian Imperial Stout. As close to perfection for this style as I've had.

Mouthfeel - Mildly carbonated, which suits the style. Thick and heavy; a bit oily.

Drinkability - This is a bit of a tough brew to drink. It's very heavy, and for me, one is enough in a single sitting...definitely no more than two. Of course, this is to be expected with such a rich beer with a high alcohol content like this. As far as overall drinkability, I could drink one every night. This is a great beer!

I have to say, this is one of my favorite beers, definitely my favorite Russian Imperial. Another win from Brooklyn Brewery!

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Received in trade with Hurricane (Scott). Thanks.

Poured into pint glass, thick opaque black with wonderful looking chocolatey head that unfortunately dissipates quickly. Smells of chocolate, malt and booze. Taste is decadent chocolate with a roast coffee back taste and a nice, boozy aftertaste. Nice and thick with good amount of carbonation that pleased the palate. Definitely a rich drink that I don't think I could frequently consume. Very enjoyable though.

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

Served from 12 FL OZ. bottle into glass. Winter 10-11 vintage.

A- Solid black. Small brown head that disappears quickly.

S- Bittersweet chocolate, roasted espresso, and sour cherries. A bit of vanilla, a bit of alcohol.

T- Follows the nose. Chocolate and espresso first, with some cherries in the back. A lingering espresso aftertaste to help cover the strong alcohol. A fair amount of warmth.

M- This beer has a medium-thick mouthfeel, and is able to do its job without sticking on your tongue too much. Zero carbonation. The structure of the beer is very good.

O- For a chocolate stout, this beer ventures into the high ABV (10%) side of the spectrum. It's a bit more complex that some of it's contemporaries, but the alcohol is a bit obvious. Above average for the style.

2.88/5  rDev -30.6%

A- Really thick dark and syrupy... zero light coming through the glass

S-Smells like alcohol with a little bit of chocolate and coffee and roasted malts.

T- Bitter chocolate, overwhelming alcohol taste that ruins the beer imo.

M-Smooth and drinkable.

O- I felt this beer was average at best for the style. The alcohol takes over the taste of the beer once it starts to warm up imo, so I think its best to drink this cold. (unless you like the alcohol taste).

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

I was SO happy when I wandered into Alibi's (Carlisle, PA) for an after-work treat and found this on tap! It was served in a 16 oz glass with a creamy tan head.

The beverage itself was pitch black and had a wonderful aroma of slightly over baked chocolate cake. The flavor, however, imparted more of a burning alcohol bite on the tongue than the smooth, sweet chocolate I was anticipating (at over 10%, I should have expected that, but the aroma threw me off.) It was more like a warming liquor than the crisp, hoppy beers I usually favor, but I really enjoyed every sip.

This certainly isn't a thin beer, but it wasn't so thick to be described as chewy or coating. The flavor perfectly filled my mouth and lingered on for some time, as did the lacing on the glass - from top to bottom, remnants of the caramel head lined the sides.

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%

Roastiness, chocolate, and hints of alcohol. Starts out with a slight tang amongst the roasted flavors, which quickly subsides to leave a big, roasted malt and chocolate taste with a decent (not huge) body to it. The alcohol becomes more pronounced as it goes down, but doesn't ever come close to overpowering the roasted coffee/chocolate/burnt toast(?) flavors. A very nice brew that, with the addition of a bit more body, could be incredible.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a glass goblet.

A: Pours black with a hint of dark brown. Head is light brown, dissipates quickly, and leaves a thin layer behind. Some nice lacing.

S: Lots of dark chocolate with mild notes of dark roasted malt and alcohol.

T: VERY good, but not as complex as I expected with the label comparing it to (or labeling it as?) a russian imperial stout. Sweet, chewy malts up front, followed by dark and milk chocolate notes and a nice alcohol presence. Finish has a nice dryness to balance the initial sweetness with a hint of baking cohcolate like bitterness.

M: Full bodied with moderately high carbonation - more than is typical of the style, but I like it. Finish is clean.

D: For 10% ABV this is definitely drinkable. Other stouts with an ABV like this can be overwhelming - this is not like that at all. Great on a cold winter night!

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Thick, dark cream foam that is very resilient and never totally goes away. The liquid is black as sin and totally opaque. Resembles black tar.

S: Has the buttery, toffee smell that I get when grinding roasted coffee beans. Has a hint of cocoa butter too. Just smells rich.

T: Rich, chocolate, coffee, toffee, and nuts. Sweet upfront with just a hint of bitterness at the end.

M: Creamy, rich, really thick, but smooth.

D: Whoa! This is certainly a sipper. Far too rich and thick to take a gulp. Actually, it's tough for me to finish a 12 oz bottle because it's just so rich. Much better than I expected, though. I would rather drink this in a half dose. It's like a really rich chocolate cake that tastes great, but you only want a small piece at a time. I can see it being better on a frigid winter night

3.87/5  rDev -6.7%

Pours black, and completely opaque, with a slight dark tan head. A little coffee and a little more chocolate in the nose. Taste is a cross between dark and bittersweet chocolate with a malty bloom, and a clingy, quite pleasantly bitter finish. I thought that considering the ABV, the alcohol was pretty well hidden. (...but not completely, although this did not bother me in the least.)

I really dig this, but I could probably only drink 2 or 3 at a time.

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

i love this beer and seek it out every year. its thick and oh so rich. of course it's chocolisious. it even has a great after taste that lingers for a while.....not to mention one helluva bite. if you don't like this beer you don't like this style of beer.it's a Padron anniversary 26 maduro of 'beers'

4.44/5  rDev +7%

Stouts are not my favorite style but I am trying to taste more and more. I won't write any bad reviews for any stouts I have tried even if I don't like them because I feel I need to know the style better. That said, when I find a stout I like, I have to write a good review about it. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is a great brew. Lets start with its appearance. Wow! Very dark brew and you cannot see any light through it. The head is kind of tan and dies down shortly after pouring. The smell is exceptional. Its really just what you would expect only better. It is a heavy aroma of chocolate and coffee. After taking a good whiff of the beer, there is no way you can wait to try it. Mmmmm chocolate. The beer has a bitter kick to it as well. I didn't really pay attention to the ABV and it surprises me that its so high. Disguised very well although you know you are having something over 6.5.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured out of a 12oz brown bottle labeled winter 05-06

Drinking this beer out of a brooklyn snifter. served at about 45 degrees.

This beer pours a midnight black color with a 1/2 inch light coffee colored head. The head seems to disappear fairly quickly, but still leaving a thin layer above the liquid itself.

The nose is of chocolate currant and alchohol, also some other dark fruits.

Taste the chocolate very well, a sweet and bitter blend which seems to mask the alchohol on the tounge better than on the nose. There also seems to be a hint of sour tartness on the finish, leaving you with a slight pucker..The over all finish is smoothe and well balanced.

I would say this is a fairly full bodied stout, with great characteristics. Will drink again for sure.

4.8/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured this black beauty in a tulip. Black at SRM40+, the thin dark tan head is supported by low carbonation. Moderate legs and sheen on glass noted. Aroma is roast malt, stone fruit and chocolate. Flavor is a dark roast, slightly biscuit, complex stone fruit with a low bitterness. Mouthfeel is very full bodied with a sweet finish. Warmth from alcohol is noted.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Cracked open an 08-09 bottle at cellar temp and poured into a tulip as a night cap along side a slice of chocolate cake. Heaven-sent.

Pours almost pitch black with a nice 1 finger mocha head on an aggressive pour. As the beer goes down, there is a little lacing. This is almost opaque black in the glass, with some light around the edges.

The smell is of roasted grains, and some bitter chocolate in the back. hints of some coffee and fruits as well. alcohol comes through a bit. its almost like a liqueur.

The taste is deep and rich, with massive roastiness, some heat from the 10% abv, and bitter-sweet, but not too sweet chocolate in the back of the throat. again, hints of chocolate and dark fruits. Also, some acidity throughout the whole thing and an odd but not off-putting "zing" to it.

Mouthfeel is a little on the prickly side, but that helps cleanse the palate. Certainly is viscous and sits in your mouth for a while being a little slick.

Drinkability is great; for one bottle. having a couple in an evening could easily knock you down. take on, take it slow, and sip it. It's delicious.

Notes: most of this beer was sampled alone, with the latter bit being accompanied by some chocolate cake for the sake of finding a solid pairing. Chocolate cake has been found to pair almost perfectly, highlighting the notes of the beer perfectly.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Winter 11-12

Poured into my Brooklyn stemmed tulip glass

A: 3-4 fingers worth of nut brown head. Black beer that no light penetrates. Lacing all the way down the glass as I drink. Sexyness in a glass!

S: Bitter chocolate, with hints of roasted coffee. Touch of sweet maltiness.

T: Sweet malts give way to bitter roasted notes with a mocha/ milk chocolate finish.

M: This beer coats my mouth with a delicious chocolate film. Slightly creamy feel gives way to crisp finish.

O: Wow, this beer is delicious, and dangerously so at 10%. Perfect on a winter night or with dessert. Black Chocolate Stout has never disappointed me and this year is no exception. I look forward to enjoying this beer all winter long!

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally got my hands on this year's model after rave reviews from everyone. I was not disappointed

A: Deep, dark jet black color on the pour. A little bit of thick brown head at the top which would leave its mark on my glass the whole way down. Opaque as opaque can be.

S: Chocalate and carmel is the strongest scent you get. There are coffee notes as well and a bit of alcohol because well...it is 10.5%

T: Thick taste of caramel and coffee, not as blatently chocalate as expected, but it was delightfully subtle. A lot like rauchbiers in the sense that you could get some burnt flavors as well.

M: The only way you could coat your mouth any thicker is with liquid hershey's chocalate. Its a mouthfeel you can savor for a long time

D: To be drank one at a time, save a couple, impossible to be chugged so you don't have to worry about jackass friends stealing it.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Talk about a kick in the teeth... this beer really did sneak up on me! I was told by a friend that this is his favorite beer so I had to pick me one up and I did. I first tried it directly out of the bottle while it was still around 42 degrees... talk about bad idea! This beer is excellent when poured into a mug and let to warm to about 48 to 54 degrees give or take on my estimate on temperature. Extremely flavorful beer and very hoptastic!

4.52/5  rDev +8.9%

I've had alot of chocolates and I have to say that this is flat out, the best chocolate stout that exists. I'm also a fan of russian imperials so it's a WHAMMY for me.

I'll edit my post at a future date. Right now, it's not in my glass but it was this night so I wanted to atleast put my 2 cents forward. pay attention to the taste and overall most. I'll clean up the rest later but I gave guesstimates for now.

4.09/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a snifter, winter 11-12. Black with about a finger or creamy brown head, faded pretty quickly, light lacing.

Intoxicating smell, a good swirl brings out a lot of chocolate that is difficult to pin down. Bottle says it is brewed with six types of dark chocolate, so I guess that is why the chocolate aroma is so complex. A lot of roast/toast in the nose too, some breadiness, very malty, slightly alcoholic.

First taste is quite bitter, chewy chocolate, malt, cream, and coffee notes stand out. After a few more sips it gets sweeter and quite smooth, both dark and milk chocolate, there is a very light hoppiness to it. The bitterness is very well balanced out now and only lingers at the end, light coffee, hops and alcohol, some burnt wood flavors. Very nice, complex.

Full bodied, slightly prickly, very smooth and drinkable. Doesn't really coat the mouth, lingers a bit and the bitterness keeps me sipping.

Very nice overall, and at the price it could be my go-to stout.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery