Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Black Chocolate StoutBrooklyn Black Chocolate Stout

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros

YobroitsJoe, Feb 17, 2012

JesseLara, Jul 18, 2014

jkd03c, Jun 25, 2013

T-34-85, Jan 21, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

This one pours dark black with a brownish head that sticks around for a while before settling out to a creamy ring around my glass.

The aroma is big on chocolate and roasted malt with some alcohol. There is a bit of molasses in there too.

The flavor is of chocolate, roasted malt, molasses, dark fruit with a nice alcohol warmth. You really notice the chocolate with the first few sips and then once you are used to it there is molasses and dark fruit that present themself.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation.

This is a very drinkable beer and I highly recommend this one to anybody who likes big stouts.

Brian700, Jun 26, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

mater, Nov 25, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

RWACKO, Nov 29, 2011

timjim1327, Aug 14, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

Maybe my new favorite stout. I am actually rather surprised, while this feels like a stout in your mouht, it doesn't feel that way in your belly. this is highly drinkable, IMO.

Pours a dark, rich brown, very thick, very creamy, with a nice creamy, tan head. desert in a glass. Smells like roasted mocha (yeah, I know...) very nice.

It is appropoe that chocolate is the main taste in this bear. yeah there is malt, and some hops, but the chocolate definately shines through here, mixed with a spice, roasted malt flavor. Other people have mentioned this, and it is true, the chocoalte is overpowering, but it is still done in a nice way.

If you get the cahnce, get some for desert and serve with a nice creamy cherry pie...mmm

PSUDREW, Apr 20, 2004
3.78/5  rDev -8.9%

Pours a dark black color with a small brown head that fades away quickly without leaving much lacing.

Amazing aroma of semi-sweet chocolate, roasted coffee, dark fruit and a hint of cinnamon.

I found the taste a little hard to rate. Taste starts off peppery with mild chocolate, vanilla and oak, with a spicy, slightly alcoholic finish. Not bad at all, but for me, the taste just didn't live up to the excitement of the aroma.

Smooth mouthfeel, perhaps a little thin, but not bad. I typically wouldn't drink more than one of these in a night but I will come back for more on another day. This one was reviewed fresh, but I've had it at one year and found it to be a bit better. I'll probably hang on to most of the remaining bottles for a little while and see how it changes this year.

Vengeance526, Nov 21, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -15.7%

rcatalano, Feb 08, 2013
3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

rkf1976, Nov 15, 2014

ThirdEyePA, Dec 24, 2011

Erice78, Jul 30, 2013
4.15/5  rDev 0%

Got this as a Christmas gift from a good friend! 12 oz bottle that says it's the Winter 2006-2007 edition. 10.6% ABV

A: Dark, oily black. Tan head. Rather viscous. Very little retention. Looks exactly as you would expect an Imperial Stout to look.

S: Heavy chocolate (as expected), caramel, molasses, alcohol.

T: A little sweet and syrupy. Dominated by the dark chocolate. Ends with a nice bitter swoop, like a bite of bitter chocolate. Nice interplay between the chocolate and the alcohol.

M: Thick and creamy, with a sharp bite from the alcohol.

D: Sip it slowly because of the high ABV%. I drank this while playing card games with friends - perfect complement to socializing with taking this one in and enjoying it. The character changes nicely as the brew warms to room temperature.

ndekke39, Dec 30, 2006

treznor, May 06, 2014
4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

I have been drinking Brooklyn Beers for ages, but for some reason this one always escaped me. I have always been happy with the quality of Brooklyns brews and after researching Imperial Stouts I figured I had to give it a shot.
I got myself a sixpack of Winter 07-08 bottles and I have to say I was impressed. I like stout and I guess I drink it pretty regularly (usually opting for Young's Chocolate, Smith's Oatmeal or old reliable Guinness). The look, smell and taste of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout were top notch. I drank it from a small brandy snifter (which I highly recommend)and I was was totally impressed. This is not a brew to be swilled while watching the game, (it is filling and strong) but to be enjoyed in small quantities, much like a fine brandy/cognac. I recommend it with dessert or by itself with a nice cigar.

nasty15108, Feb 09, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

I finally got around to trying this one (I've heard good things about it and keep seeing it every time I look at the beers of the world book whenever I'm in barnes and nobles) and must say I'm impressed. This one reminds me of Samuel Adams Imperial Stout, but without the anise taste, The beer poured deep chocolatey black with a thick dark tan head. Taste was that of a really dark chocolate. Has a velvety mouthfeel. It's goes down too easily. Smell is sinfully cocoay. About as good a stout as I've ever had.

hdofu, Mar 29, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +5.5%

12 ounce bottle vintage winter 2009-10 poured into a snifter.

The pour is jet black with a very small quick fading tan head that leaves nothing behind. The nose is made up of roasted malts, espresso, toffee, and chocolate. Not overpowering but very pleasant. Taste is amazing. No alcohol is on the palate with plenty of dark chocolate and a bitter malty finish. Very easy drinking stout. Mouthfeel is quite viscous. Overall this is a great stout. I wish I had some fresh to see how the chocolate has faded over the couple years this has been cellaring.

abrand, Mar 29, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Vintage 2008/2009. Serving date: 2009-02-16. Served in snifter.

Presentation: 355 ml bottle with freshness date printed on the bottle (best before December 2011).

Appearance: The pour is black, just one step away from being opaque, with a surprisingly small (half a finger) light brown head that settles quickly and leaves basically no lacings.

Smell: Mostly dark chocolate. Although it has less sweet aromas than many other imperial stouts, there are still some notes of blackcurrants and faint vanilla here. Gentle hops and a good deal of roasted barley finish things off.

Taste: Big flavors of dark chocolate hit the palate and stays on right to the very end of the finish. The chocolate flavors are definitely on the bitter end, leaning towards cocoa, but every now and then notes of sweeter chocolate appear as well. The taste of roasted barley is also quite immense and it blends beautifully with the chocolate. Some fruity flavors (plums?) and maybe some vanilla are to be found as well, somewhere among the chocolate and roasted barley. But still, the sweetness in this one is really restrained. From a few sips, I get a slight acidic flavor, but this might be the bitterness from the chocolate and the roasted grain that's playing a trick on me. The alcohol, although well hidden, provides a pleasant twang before the finish, which is quite bitter and contains some restrained, yet distinct, hops and long roasted flavors. Not the most complex imperial stout, but still a delightful beer with it's astonishing chocolaty character.

Mouthfeel: Quite a lot of carbonation considering the style, but thanks to a full body it manages to come out rather smooth.

Drinkability: I've had this beer quite a few times, and I'm always amazed by the fact that it's made solely from malt, hops, water and yeast, and no chocolate additives. How one can make ingredients such as these to taste this good is quite astonishing. However, although it's a rather bold and edgy imperial stout with it's emphasis primarily on chocolate and roasted flavors, it still lacks some complexity. But it's still, highly highly recommended.

ricke, Feb 17, 2009

jtransel, May 17, 2014

Body is completely jet black. The head is almost dark brown. Some lacing. Looks good.

Dark chocalate, cherries, vanilla, toffee and booze. Very sweet aroma.

Tastes really good. Booze is almost completely masked by the flavors. Toffee, cherries, chocalate are all there. Really tasty, not as boozy as Imperial Stouts that I have had.

Body is medium. Quite smooth. Not as carbonated. Slight alcohol burn on the way down. Doesn't leave the mouth dry. Feel good.

Drink ability is good for a ten percent ABV. Feels smooth goes down easy for a sipper. I am gonna crack another one open though... and sip it.

9InchNails, Jan 26, 2011