Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 6,220 | Reviews: 2,746
4.01/5  rDev -3.4%

Black beer with nothing of translucency. Foam: brown, dense and persistent. Aroma: roasted malt, very smell of coffee, chocolate and alcohol. Creamy texture. Taste of coffee, bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Alcohol is properly inserted. Medium carbonation. Dry and bitter end.

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Winter 2010-2011 vintage, poured from bottle into snifter. Notes from 1-1-2011. Beer warmed in bottle at room temperature for approximately 30-40 minutes prior to pouring.

A. Dark black. Transmits absolutely no light. Small, ¼ inch molasses head dissipates quickly. Insignificant lacing.

S. Sweet, chocolate, grape, cinnamon. Obvious alcohol presence.

T. Attack is heavy on alcohol. Potential chocolate gives way to strong, bitter coffee notes. Minimal sweetness. (Similar to Siberian Night.) Alcohol is obviously present, but mellows as it warms.

M. Smooth, creamy, gives way to carbonated feel that tingles on the tongue with the bitterness of the coffee. Lingers. As it warms, becomes more buttery in mouthfeel.

D. A definite sipper. Sits very heavily. Requires time and thought. Significant ABV limits drinkability to some extent.

A strong, smooth, great sipping stout.

2.59/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured out black thick and viscous. Poured from a bottle into my Duvel glass with Maybe a fingers width of reddish brown foam. It looked like tar or thick oil in my glass.
It smelled like burnt cereal.
All I could taste was burnt grain with a metallic after taste. It was so boozey and tasted like gasoline. I really do not like this RIS and regret I have another bottle to choke down but at least it's 10 percent and will cellar well. Maybe by next year it's taste will have improved and mellowed a bit. I could not taste chocolate at all.
I would never buy this again and will think twice about buying another Brooklyn beer.

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Talk about a beer that masks the taste of alcohol, shits amazing esp for the way it smells. The 10% surprised me at first esp for the price(7.99 a 4 pk) and the aroma was slight coffee the rest alcohol, wasnt my favorite. Then I tasted it and it was smooth as can be, Touche Brooklyn you stumped me there. Or at least surprised me.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured from 12 fluid ounce bottle into glass, winter 11/12 bottling

Appearance-Black with nice 2 finger dark brown foam that only slowly recedes

Smell-Dark chocolate aroma, roasted malts

Taste-A great RIS. The flavors of dark chocolate & roastiness meld together really well. For being 10% ABV surprised that the alcohol is pretty well masked.

Mouthfeel-Full-bodied, good amount of carbonation.

Overall-For quality/price this beer is a win-win. If I would ever purchase a case of beer this would be it. Saving my last 2 bottles from 11-12 to age and compare to next years release. Thanks to Brooklyn Brewery for making an awesome brew.

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance - Pours black in color. A good deal of head and nice lacing.

Aroma- Burnt caramel. Chocolate.

Mouthfeel - Thick like sweet tea

Flavor- Bitter Chocolate finishes off sweet. Bitterness comes back and lingers

Overall- Very good. Great with chocolate cake and or french vanilla ice cream.

Additional Notes- One of my favorite winter seasonal beers.

serving type: bottle

4.59/5  rDev +10.6%

First I'd like to say Hi to everyone.... I'm new here and fairly new to the craft beer scene, BA is great.

About this beer, I really enjoyed it. I picked up a 6 pack at Wegman's for $6.99 and broke into it as soon as I got home. It pours virtually black into a glass. It smells great; It actually smells a lot like dark chocolate. I don't even like dark chocolate and this beer made me want some! It tastes great too with a very strong flavor that is great late at night while relaxing after a long day.

I will definately buy this beer again, it's the type of beer that for me, a 6 pack will last a little while. Very enjoyable, but I would probably only have 1 or 2 of these in one setting. 6.99 wasn't that bad though for a beer like this, considering that Guiness costs over $8 for 6 beers. The only problem I have with it is it doesn't maintain much of a head.

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

This beer was a new experiance for me. I am familiar with the stouts, but this stout was unlike them all. I've had this beer numerous times in the past 2 weeks, both from bottle and from tap. Thats how good this is. Real potent. Not a beer that you will want to party with. It has a rich flavor that compliments red meat dishes. Brooklyn brewing company definitely has a winner with this chocolate stout.

3.41/5  rDev -17.8%

Bought as part of a $7.99 mix a six at Mac's.

A - Black black with a small light brown head

S - Different than I expected. Cherry, caramel, and alcohol.

T - I taste sour cherries, some brown sugary sweetness, alcohol, and some really dark chocolate hints.

M - Terrific! Full bodied silky smooth with light carbonation.

D - A terrific sipper but certainly not a beer to drink all night.

I am going to pick up another and lay it down for a year or so as this one is really fresh and I think this could use a little aging.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance- This beer pours a color that would reflect that of an oil change being performed on a lawnmower that has not been used in 3 seasons. Deep black, the small 1 finger head on a gentle pour shows a deep mocha/cappuccino color. The head reduces quite rapidly to show off this black beauty in its full body and character.

Smell- Tons of Dark 85% cacao chocolate, Toffee, Espresso, The smell of opening a box of fresh raisins, Some Sherry, Quite a bit of Molasses.

Taste- Raisin & Chocolate start upon entering the mouth. Upon the "Kentucky Chew", I taste quite a large amount of Espresso & Molasses. The Finish is a bitter Leathery, Black coffee taste. The alcohol bite shows through and warms the esophagus, bringing with it a lasting table wine-esque warmth that seems to last and last.

Mouthfeel- Warm & Coating. Feels Maple Syrup- like in texture, yet goes down like water. Nothing bitter stays in the mouth, only its palette coating characteristics of Coffee & Chocolate.

Drinkability- A delicious meal in a glass. I could down several of these, but would wind up acting like a fool as a result. It's a beer of distinct character & body (russian imperial stout comes to mind, as this is what i would call it in every way), and is a beer to be savored fireside as you ward off the winter and work to stay warm until Spring comes. This beer is a quality Seasonal that I look forward to Year-Round, though living in Massachusetts, (due to its slow selling nature), it's usually available all year round. Love it!

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

I find this beer to be like a candy bar for adults.

The name of the beer really says a lot about how I expereince the beer.

Black. It certainly is that, it is darn near opaque and appears as if someone has filled your glass with tar. Fortunately for us though, the flavor beats tar in a landslide.

Chocolate. Yup, maybe even coffee type flavors too. I find it rich and decadant as a flourless chocolate cake. It's got that dense, deep flavor to it that you really need to think about as you enjoy it.

Stout. Wonderful brown-ish head while carrying that great stout "dryness" in terms of mouthfeel. It's roasty and perfect for a cold winter night.

3.86/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - Jet black and opaque. No light gets through at all. Head disappears quickly. Head is thin and light.

S -Chocolate, cherry, smoke and a bit of alcohol bite. Disappointing but I suppose it is a stout.

T - Chocolate cherry flavor hits hard and then mellows into smoke. Not much alcoholic bite to it at first, but it prickles the tongue after it sits. I was surprised to see it's 10% ABV.

M - About as thick as expected. Flavor lingers long after sipping.

O - I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. Haven't had great experience with Brooklyn Brewery but they've won me over here. Extremely surprised this is 10% ABV.

4.42/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.
A: Pours jet black in color with a tan to almost brown head.
S: Roasted malts and chocolate.
T: This classic is quite full on the palate, which one would expect with a beer with a higher finishing gravity. Flavor is an interesting combination if malty, roasty, bitter, and just slightly alcoholic.
M: Perfect carbonation.
Overall, really enjoyed.

2.65/5  rDev -36.1%

This was the first Imperial Stout that I have had, and feel that I may want to stay away from this style of beer.

Appearance: It poured black, aesthetically not bad for a stout beer.

Smell: A mixture of chocolate, some vanilla with hints of coffee. And the part that I think turned me away was the alcohol scent. It was just too strong for me. I don’t feel that beer should smell like the alcohol.

Taste: The taste was strong on the chocolate, more bitter dark chocolate that milk.

Mouth feel: Average, kinda watery.

Drinkability: This is, for me at least, not a session beer. I can’t see myself drinking this brew on any occasion.

I guess you can’t like al the styles of beer…. Too bad for me right…

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

It blows me away that a beer can taste so chocolaty without using any actual chocolate!

An aroma of roasted grains, powerful coffee. The coffee and chocolate blend really well together. I knew this was going to be a great beer from just smelling it. So many imperial stouts try to do this and some succeed and some ultimately fail.

Taste of coffee, CHOCOLATE, chocolate, and more chocolate. Barely any hops noticeable. Just a really smokey beverage.

The beverage is chewy but very smooth. The only thing that threw me off was after the first sip, it felt weird swallowing and most likely, that was due to my own fault of something I had to drink or eat earlier on. Either way, just a good brew.

Black, chocolate, coffee, smoke, goodness.

Drink up.

4.4/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into a Weizen Glass (pilsner like glass)

A = nice black rich look with beautiful tan head, about 1/2 inch. Did not remain, but didn't care. Didn't notice much lacing, but there was some.

S = chocolate, alcohol, sweet, rich, and hint of hops for me.

T - My first thought was "creamy", and a beautiful subtle chocolate somewhere between a sweet milk chocolate and a gourmet rich bitter chocolate, so it was very good for me. This still tasted like a "beer" with a nice backup hops, and deep flavored malt that was sweet, but not too sweet. The alcohol was there, and warming, but be careful because it was not too noticeable but present. The mystery was the sweetness, but the dryness and Chocolaty aftertaste which remained. usually sweet, and dry do not go together in my many years of homemade wine. I love a chocolate/coffee/toffee stout/porter, and have had many, this ranks up there with the Founders breakfast stout, but a touch sweeter and dryer.

M = great, creamy, carbonated very well, not prickly, just right for a beer.

D = well, I had this beer, and then a Trappistes rochefort 10, and then one more black choc stout. I am not sure I would want a third due to the richness/ABV, but I am seriously thinking about going to get one more. 10%abv, the trappistes 11.3ABV, Another BCS 10%, and contemplating another 10% is difficult, but I might just go down and get one more. I think a four pack of the 10/11 is fine with the % ABV.

I recommend this, but have to say that I would have a hard time deciding which is best between a heavy seas peg leg stout, a founders breakfast stout, a flying dog gonzo imperial porter, and a great lakes edmund fitzgerald porter. Those other three are some of my favorites, so at least this is in the same ballpark. I'd probably rank in order the following:
founders breakfast stout and great lakes stout = same
peg leg imperial stout, and this beer the same, perhaps I like the peg leg a touch more. the ABV is very high and keeps me from drinking extra in this beer, where I can comfortably enjoy and extra peg leg without the high ABV.

I hope this helps. Get this since it is limited... since the ABV is high, save one for six months or a year down the road and see what you think about it as it ages some.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Bottle is from the 2012-2013 winter brew. A hard pour into a chalice gives a nice two finger head, which is straight up brown. The beer itself is black as could be. Watching the head settle looks almost like a nitro pour. Beautiful.

S: Dried plums, alcohol, and chocolate of the baker's variety. Not much sweetness here. It promises to be quite tasty, as there are a bunch of underlying notes, but I can't can't pick them out. I did notice some roasted malts as it warms up.

T: Balanced and the alcohol matches well to the other flavors. Obviously, chocolate is the main flavor, but it's hard for me to discern the other flavors. it kinda just hits all at once, and I can't separate them. But, I like the way it tastes. I would give a higher score if I didn't feel like the flavors were mauling my tongue.

M: Smooth as any stout I've had, like a good oatmeal. Light carbonation, silky and full-bodied. Afterwards, though, it hangs around a bit longer than I like. Otherwise, It's about perfect.

O: A very good beer, and one that I have come to really enjoy. I will save a 4-pak in hopes that in about a year, maybe some sweetness will come through, or the subtle flavors will pull through a little stronger. And at 10%, it hides it extremely well.

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - Black opaque elegance topped with a 1/2 inch caramel head.

S - Faint chocolate and booze.

T - Like a dark chocolate bar with 75% cacao. Sweet at the front, but slightly bitter at the finish.

M - Thick and rich, like a milkshake. Hangs out on your palate for a minute or two.

O - A great dessert beer. My middle-age woman need for chocolate and booze has been satisfied by this sumptuous stout.

3.37/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours dark brown, almost black, with virtually no head whatsoever.

S: Smells burnt and boozy. As the beer warmed, I was able to pick up some licorice in the aroma as well. I really did not pick up any chocolate at all.

T: Tastes very boozy. The alcohol really takes charge here, along with the burnt flavor. As with the smell, as the beer warmed I got some taste of licorice and a very slight hint of really dark, bitter chocolate, but not much. The glaring abscence here is any real chocolate flavor. I expected a dark chocolate taste right up front, but it's just not there.

M: Mouthfeel is good. Pretty smooth and creamy, not too thick.

O: Overall, I'm a bit disappointed. There really isn't much chocolate to speak of in this beer, and the booze comes through so strongly it just seems to overpower everything else. This does seem to get a little better as it warms, but still a disappointment. The 10% APV at least gets you nice and warm.

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Great beginning taste, rich stout, after taste was poor

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Outstanding! I can't wait for the winter months to roll around each year so I can get myself a case of this to savor. As black and opaque as possible when put up to light, its appearance has a light brown head that follows the pour and gives great lacing. It has a strong aroma of coffee and deeply roasted malts. The flavor follows that up with more coffee, roasted and burnt notes and also has a very strong hoppiness. A tiny taste of alcohol is there too. The beer feels like oil in your mouth with carbonation that compliments it perfectly. Overall, this is probably the best beer I have ever had and it is an absolute must for anyone that likes craft beers!

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours a rich black color with smaller tan/brown head. Smells of sweet apple and darker fruits raisins, plums, and a slight vanilla. tastes complex of raisins, dark chocolate, and charcoal. Finishes with an overpowering charcoal taste. Carbonation is a bit overpowering for this style, mild carbonation works better in a a stout, in my opinion. This one is a bit too dark for my taste, and should be noted. Although with a 10.6 alc my down sides are worth overlooking. and i would have another one if offered.

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Received as an extra in a trade. Unfortunately, not sure if it's from beerhandy or markgugs, because I got both boxes at the same time... Thanks either way!

This beer pours oily black. Not syrupy. The head is probably the darkest mocha color I've encountered so far. It's is tight on the bottom but fluffier at the top. Fades away after a minute, lacing floats on for another minute or two more. Taste is shockingly chocolate. I have some 85% cacao dark chocolate, and this tastes almost identical. The chocolate flavors are so overwhelming that I can barely discern any malt underneath, and I'm too blown away to note any hops. Mouthfeel is smooth, but like the pour, thinner than I thought. Where's the alcohol? Drinkable? Sure, it goes down well, but for me you must partake of chocolate in moderation.

4.65/5  rDev +12%

A: Black; no light coming through. Poured 2 finger chocolate head with excellent retention.

S: Big roasted malts, burnt bitter coffee, chocolate. Finishes with dark fruit and alcohol.

T: Consistent with smell; roasted nad chocolate malts most dominant. Earthy bitter hop brought balance to the big malts. Finish was dry and full of warming alcohol.

M: Full body. Litte carbonation. Smooth, rich, creamy and soothing.

D: Let this one warm a bit and sip it slowly by the mouthfull; you'll be pleased.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

Props to Brooklyn Brewery for brewing this bad boy and making it available for a song (less than $2 each!).

A -- Black as death. Milk chocolate head of about 3/4 inch fades to an appealing pond scum.

S -- Aroma of a boozy, chocolate pound cake slathered with Hershey's Syrup.

T -- Big, dark chocolate, coffee, toffee and butter from the get-go. Booze pops out toward the finish, and closes with a roasty finish.

M -- Think and chewy, no doubt, but a slight letdown against the huge mix of intense flavors. Points subtracted for a mouthfeel that struggles live up to its dynamic taste.

D -- A leg up on other Imperial Stouts, as I could actually drink two of these in one sitting.

Overall a kick-ass IS for its huge flavor, drinkability and value.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery