Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,722 | Hads: 6,258
4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Poors a deep black with a ruby highlight. Tha roated malt gives this a fantastic aroma . Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The chocolate and coffe flavor make this perfect for a dessert ar an accompaniment for a good Cohiba. The 02-03 bottle is quite high in A.B.V. and is evident but subdued by the rich flavor. Finishes with an almost capucinno flavor. Best enjoyed in a tulip glass with a good friend or sitting by the fire, Probably the finest Imperial I've ever had. (469 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this one recently at the brewery. Right up front I'll say it, a fine beer, my absolute favorite from Brooklyn. Even had to take a few bottled versions home, same results.

Fantastic black beauty with deep brown head that virtually stuck to the sides of my glass. Looked and felt like I was drinking an ice cream float, only tasted much better.

Robust roasted malt hints overwhelm the nose right away, leading right into the taste, which was fenominal. Hard for me to separate the two since the olfactory sense is hard to divide into two with this one. Chocolate and black java are the key tastes. Dry hop after taste is very remarkable finishing touch.

This one is velvety smooth even creamy in the mouth. Not for the faint of heart, a heavy beer great in the fall and winter.

It's hard to hide that I'm a huge fan, so I'll admitt it, I'll have again and again and would recommend it to any fan of big stouts. (926 characters)

Compared a 10-11 and 11-12 to see what changed over a year....not much, the 10-11 was just slightly less bitter.

A - Very dark, nice tan head with good retention.

S - A lot of chocolate, a little burnt malt, and light coffee

T - Coffee is more prominent in the taste than the aroma. Bitter chocolate and malt round it. As previously stated this is where the only difference was evident when aged a year, slightly less bitter.

M - Nice and chewy, light carbonation, don't notice the alcohol much.

O - In my stout hierarchy this one is solid, not the best or the worst. The price is what is very appealing, a great value. (624 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Poured from a 12 oz marked ‘06-‘07 into a pint glass. This bottle says 10.6% ABV as opposed to the listed 8.5. A deep, dark black. Pours like warm syrup, approx. 1/2" copper/orange head, good retention with notable lacing.

S: Whoa, alcohol. It overpowers the hints of mocha, malt roasty/sweetness, toffee, and the bit of hops.

T: Strong alcohol sharpness, roasty malt flavors go well with the chocolate and coffee flavors which are both heavy. Hints of toffee.

M: This one is thick, definitely notable based on the ABV. Astringent drying can be noted on the tongue after swallowing and just before the syrupy nature takes over again and sticks to the mouth.

D: For those of you living in cold areas, this one could be good to keep around if you got snowed in. It's very warming. More than one or two could easily send someone who isn’t a seasoned veteran in high ABV brews over the edge. Definitely an interesting addition to the imperial stout world. (969 characters)

Words alone cannot describe this beer. You must drink it to understand. This is my favorite beer by which all other beers are compared. I have tasted maybe 150-200 different beers, but although some come close, none have matched what I want in a beer more than this.

Vague tasting notes? Yes, but although I don't have the vocabulary necessary to give a detailed review, I can say it honestly is a great brew. (410 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black, like dark chocolate, makes sense. Plenty of head with respective staying power with the body's color lending itself to the head

Aroma: Dark chocolate with fancy coffee aromas wandering around in there.

Taste: Delightful. Tastes like it smells, with alcohol nipping at the taste buds and the top palate. Warming all the way down. One of the best after-tastes of any beer. As it warms you notice the alcohol more but still remains enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Along with the 10.6% ABV getting your attention it doesn't distract you from the flavor and is somewhat soft.

Drinkability: It is a slightly heavy beer with tremendous flavor but for a beer meant for sipping it is suited for a casual drinking session within the limits of a six-pack.

Notes: I keep trying to cellar sixers of this tasty brew but as the winter progresses I find myself attracted to it and the next thing I know I only have a few left. Self control must be displayed around this brew as it gets better with age. This is by far my favorite beer of any beer I have ever reviewed or drank. (1,075 characters)

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

I poured this from a 12 oz bottle to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. This imperial stout was pitch black with a thick light brown head that faded to a thin lacing. I didnt get much of a smell from this. Faint scent of chocolate and alcohol. The taste is similar to the smell, it has a high boozy flavor. I like this beer, but i thought i would like it more. I didnt taste the chocolate i expected . (398 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Very dark, with a thick, creamy, tan head. Beautiful lacing to the end.

S: Dried fruit, caramel, and dark malt.

T: Dominated by malts, with a complex range of roasts all standing out individually and blending well: bready, caramel, toffee, and a hint of vanilla with coffee and chocolate coming through at the end. Perfectly balanced in bitterness and residual sweetness. I couldn't help but think "liquid cake," but not candy-sweet. No hot alcohol at all.

M: Creamy and rich body.

D: Incredibly drinkable for 10% ABV. Could be dangerous ;)

I've never been one for the RIS style, but after this beer has encouraged me to explore the style a lot more. A great beer for cold weather. (689 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I picked up a couple of these bottles in a create your own craft pack. I usually love everything from Brooklyn Brewery, and was looking to foward to tasting this.

A- A dark black color with a dark brown head.

S- I can smell the alcohol with a hint of chocolate.

T- A dark chocolate bitter flavor.

M- A thick and creamy feeling.

O- It tastes a little more bitter than I expected, but I'm not disappointed. (409 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle to tulip glass.

A: Poured thick and black, tiny caramel head.

S: Roasty chocolately goodness, 100%.

T: There's a bit of licorice bitterness, but mostly chocolately notes dominate. "Black Chocolate Stout" is the perfect name for this one.

M: Little bit of boozy warmth all the way through. Carbonation low enough to get all of the creaminess and chocolatiness onto the palate. Rich and milkshake like.

O: Right up there with Old Rasputin in my book. Great stout, 10% is well hidden, delicious, creamy, warming. Nothing better on a snowy winter's night! (563 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: From a 12 oz long neck from a 4 pack with date. Says the 2014-2015 season.

Appearance: Like it says...black. I can't even see through it when I hold it up to a light. Maybe a little brown. Superb lacing that remains in it's place. Moderate carbonation is present but it's hard to see because of the black.

Smell: Coffee and yeast, fresh bread like smell.

Taste: Dark robust coffee, dark bitter chocolate, burnt malt undertones, some sweetness (that is thankfully fleeting), and then hops are present towards the end to complement the coffee and dark chocolate.

Overall: This is one of my favorite stouts. High ABV with a prefect pairing of chocolate and coffee. A lot of times these double stouts or high ABV stouts have a sickly sweet taste and aftertaste that prevails. This one avoids that brewing mistake and gives you what you want from a stout...something to get through the frigid cold of winter. I highly recommend this brew! (955 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +6%

I just had some from the 6 I bought back in Dec. This Stout ages VERY well. The taste was a bit mellower than before. Not as sharp as the day I got it. Smell was good. Mouthfeel was good too. A lot smoother than before. Look was the same as was the smell. I still have three left, but I'll wait a while to see how those come out. (329 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Being originally from Brooklyn and a Stout lover I just had to try this beer. ABV 8.5%
This glass was from the tap and very dark.
A pleasant aroma with a hint of chocolate.
I loved the way it tasted, bold with a hint of coffe and chocolate, two of my favorite flavors.
A Russian Imperial Stout that has made it to my list of regular favorites. (345 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Pitch black with light brown head. It didn't foam up much, but it laced the glass well.
The smell was mostly chocolate... lots of it, sweet caramel maltiness, and a slight prickle of alcohol.
The taste was incredible. It had this awesome strong bittersweet chocolate taste. Very far from cloying, yet it was almost like drinking a dark chocolate bar especially with the thickness.
The mouthfeel was very full, heavy, extremely rich, velvet.
And as far as drinkability goes, I could drink the whole sixpack but I think I would get full after two - so rich. I couldn't detect the alcohol because the chocolate was so rich. (If you think about the price for a sixer of 10% beer it's as cheap as a 30 rack of macro.) (719 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

had this with some milk chocolate with hazelnuts, what a treat!

A: black as darkest africa. thin head
S: intense spicy peat, cocoa, tin foil
T: really not that much chocolate, but deep rich caramel malt sweetness, finishes dry for the style
M: mild carbonation
D: it's a sipper, indeed, per the style (301 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Decided to give this brew a second shot this year as it continues to get great reviews. Still not impressed though.

A- Dark black with minimal head when poured slowly into a Chimay glass. Good amount of carbonation present when twirled.

S- Chocolate, dark malts, coffee and alcohol. Almost makes me hope for something in the class of WWS from the smell.

T- Not bad here, a good dark malt/chocolate flavor combined with the coffee making it a nice flavor. The alcohol is a little strong and is easily detectable giving it a bite on the finish that I would prefer better covered either in flavor or decreased percent (this is coming from a guy who likes peaty single malt neat)

M- Here is my biggest complaint on this beer. It feels like water when you dont consider the alcohol. I don't know where people get full bodied but based on its thickness and flow I honestly think it rates more as a porter, the only reason they call it a RIS is b/c of the alcohol percent. Thicken this up and I think the body will go well with the alcohol and flavor

O- I still think the potential is here due to the flavor and aroma of this beer, but it comes off as a porter to me, and a slightly burning one at that. I have my 4 park for the season and can't claim I want more. (1,262 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -41.4%

Pourd from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

[A] - Poured black with a reddish mahogony hue around the edges. Head pours a tan 1 finger film that receeds very quickly. Lacing is not impressive in the least especially for an Imperial Stout.

[A] - Roasted malt acidity dominates, perhaps notes of oxidation. Slight bready notes with roasted coffee bean notes as well. Chocolate is VERY faint. Alcohol is almost non - existant but faint in the nose.

[T] - Roasted malt acidity and slightly boozy alcohol numb the palate. Chocolate is faintly preceived. Slight coffee notes make an apperance but do not develop into any substantial portion of taste.

[M] - Spritzy carbonation upfront followed by a semi - creamy malt presence. Alcohol and roasted malt acidity dry the finish.

[D + O] - Roasted malt acidity and oxidation are over the top and not pleasing to the palate. These characteristics dominate the beer. Slight over carbonation detracts from the brew as well. Alcohol is not present in the nose but is preceived as hot/slightly solvent in the taste. I can think of at least 10 (Non - Imperial) stouts that I'd rather enjoy off the top of my head. Very over - rated. Very dissappointed. I will not purchase this beer again. (1,231 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer is impenetrable, midnight black. Beautiful. The head is thin and off-white to tan in color. It tastes quite bitter and ashy. The chocolate flavor resonates like a bitter dark cocoa, but it's not overwhelmingly chocolaty. It's very enjoyable to sip on a cold day. Smooth down the hatch, and the effect is almost like comfort food. (339 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -7.2%

Went to the Brooklyn Brewery last night specifically to try this highly regarded beer. Unfortunately, the bartender told me they no longer serve Black Chocolate at Happy Hour because, at 10% ABV, it was making the place too roudy too fast. Lucky for me, the second bar I went to down the road, Barcade, had this on tap.

Poured into a 10 ounce wine glass, it looks as expected. Blacker than the blackest black, with a thin mocha colored head. Very syrupy that clings to the glass when swirled and slowly slips down the sides.

The smell is great. Reminds me of a really good Irish Coffee. The dark roasted aromas come through at first with the alcohol really making itself known at the end. Very very rich and decadent scent, which is exactly what I want (because it's goddamn freezing outside tonight). Very inticing.

The taste is not at all what I expected. Fairly low on the bitterness scale and much drier and less sugary than most 10+% ABV beers. It is very smooth and creamy on the palate initially. That being said, because there is less residual sugar and bitterness, the alcohol is VERY present at the finish. You can taste it and feel it warming the inside of your body as you swallow. It is so rich, with flavors of dark espresso and bitter chocolate that are so complex. I'm finding new things with every sip. Great on a cold winter night, but alcohol is way more present than other beers in it's class. As the beer warmed, by the end, the alcohol was a bit overwhelming. Very hot for the last 2 ounces or so. Too hot, they were difficult to finish.

The mouthfeel was great. Very thick with a winely mouthcoating effect and light carbonation, which, like the rest of the beer, gives you the impression that it's even stronger than it is. I love it though, and it is so appropriate for the cold weather.

Drinkability is average, at best. With the dominance of the alcohol in this beer, I could enjoy one 10 ounce glass, but wanted something less intense for my next beer.

Overall, this is a beer that shows INCREDIBLE potential. The flavors are so complex and rich with simultaneously less sweetness and less bitterness than other Imperial Stouts I've had, which gives you time to appreciate every nuance. That being said, the alcohol was just too dominating. Since this is being served at a bar down the block from the brewery in December, chances are this beer is as fresh as fresh could be. A beer this bold needs more time to let the booze integrate and mellow. I'm going to try to find myself a four-pack of this and cellar it. I'll have one every few months and see how the flavors develop. If I had to guess, 6 months down the road this will be fantastic, and by next christmas it will be heavenly, but now it's just too hot. (2,747 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance - Black colour, Thick Brown Head, no visible carbonation

Smell - Heavy malts, Chocolate

Taste - Chocolaty, smokey/roasted, Alcohol taste, thick beer

The only part that I really didn't like was the alcohol bite to it. If the alcohol taste would've been covered up more then it would be almost perfect. (314 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

I love this beer. Pours dark and smooth, with a head whose color reminds me of peanut butter. Smells darkly sweet with chocolate and faint licorice. Tastes similar to the smell, dark chocolate, nicely sweet, but with an unfortunately burnt bitter taste on the finish. There's some very slight licorice on the mouth too, but not cloying sweet licorice like Good and Plenty, more like fresh fennel. I highly recommend this beer and am hoping that the couple of bottles I put aside benefit from some aging. (503 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Beautiful deep black with an delightful tan head.

S- Delicious chocolate, hints of coffe , licorice and strong alcohol.
T- Chocolate , roasted malts and hints of expresso.

M- smooth , nice carbonation.

D- Potent stout @ 10% alcohol content, a beer to drink slowly, great for desserts, a whole different experience enjoying this stout. (340 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Taste: malty, bitter. Palate: smooth. It's all been said; except I taste roasty expresso and citrus too. You can't detect that 10% alcohol till you try to walk a straight line. Overall very satisfying. A top notch, although not world class beer like Old Growler. (262 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle. Winter 2010/2011 vintage.

A- Pours a jet black with a thin light brown head.

S- The smell is of dark chocolate, cacao, and roasted malt.

T- The taste is big and malty upfront with a bitter roasted cacao aftertaste. Very thick with a bit of carbonation. You get a little bit of heat from the alcohol, but it is very well hidden for a 10% ABV beer.

O- Overall this was an excellent beer that I was glad to finally taste. I can't wait to try another bottle in a few months to see how it ages. Definitely worth trying if you have the chance! (574 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured down the center of a Left Hand balloon glass from a 12oz bottle. The bottle doesn't have a birth date but the label does note that it's a limited 2012-2013 bottling.

Appearance: A thick, jet black pour settles with one finger of creamy mocha-colored head. The head slowly recedes and leaves a halo creamy foam. Some lacing.

Smell: Roasted malt, powdered chocolate, a hint of milk, bitter espresso, and some added sweetness from the alcohol.

Taste: A taste that matches the flavor; roasted malt, powdered chocolate, plenty of sweetness from the alcohol, and a fairly bitter finish. In fact, the finish isn't very smooth at all... very astringent and prickly on the palate.

Mouth: Medium body with light carbonation. I'm actually surprised by the astringent finish given the low carbonation.

A fairly decent imperial stout. I imagine the finish mellows out with time and at 10.00% ABV it should age fairly well. Overall, not my favorite chocolate stout but definitely something I'd be interested in purchasing again in the future. (1,040 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery