Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,716 | Hads: 6,238
4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours dark, but pretty straight, and easy out of the bottle with a thick, high head that lingers for quite some time before it disappears smoothly.

S: Dark, cacao rich chocolate, possibly the kind spiced with flake salt, some coffee. A discreet warming smell of alcohol shines through.

T: Creamy, thick, mocha chocolate, hints of raspberries and red currants. Not quite the obvious salty taste as I would expect, but it's there alright. Warmth of alcohol shines through but in a very pleasant way.
The mouthfeel is nice thanks to the minimal amount of carbonation and bubbles, another sip is very hard to resist.

Overall impression then? Well, given the price, which was a bargain at 19.90 SEK this is nothing short of a fantastic beer. Truly regret that I didn't buy more than one. (788 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Winter 10-11 bottle.

A - Pours motor oil black, with absolutely no light penetration at all. A small mocha head forms, but dies out quickly. No lacing.

S - Dark, bittersweet chocolate, a hint of oak, licorice, a touch of alcohol.

T - Some roasted malt up front, with a slight hop bitterness. The huge chocolate shows up mid-palate and just lingers and lingers and lingers... Lots of dark chocolate with just a hint of marshmallow creme. A very delicious tasting beer.

M - Possibly a tad over carbed, but the chocolate makes it so it doesn't even matter.

O - A well done beer, which does exactly what it sets out to do. (624 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle poured into snifter

A - Almost jet black. Aggressive pour that led to one finger tannish head

S - Sweet roasted malts, dark bitter chocolate, and some dark fruit/fig notes

T - Very sweet. Roasted malts, coffee, dark fruits. Lots of chocolate flavor the further I get into the glass. Getting a lot of the dark fruit flavors in this one. Figs, plums, raisins, etc. Very sweet but with a dry bitter finish

M - Medium body, much higher carbonation than I expected.

O - Overall a decent RIS.Will definitely enjoy as the months grow colder outside (558 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

A = Deep black with tobacco red highlights. Quarter inch head formed, thick and lingering.

S = Coffee, alcohol and maybe blackberries.

T = Coffee, cherries and licorice. Aftertaste is stronger licorice and sweetness builds.

M = Good body, almost an oily quality. Carbonation is not too strong.

D = Great feet up, end of the day brew. I'll be back for more. (360 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +4.6%

Purchased a few 12oz bottles from Bert. Poured into a pint glass.

A: Gorgeous 1.5 finger dark tan head. Beautiful lacing throughout.

S: Not over powering in the least, as with most stouts. Mild bittersweet chocolate, toasted malts were present.

M: My favorite part of drinking this beer. Smooth, full bodied, almost creamy. Enjoyed every sip.

T: At the front of your tongue you get the malts, right away. There were several layers of malts all working together wonderfully. In the middle to you get the slight hint of alcohol, just to let you know its there. The back of the mouth and aftertaste is of chocolate, toffee...but not too sweet. Perfectly balanced.

There is no way I would have ever guessed this was a 10+% beer. The smoothness/taste of this beer could be very, very dangerous...in a good way! (810 characters)

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

This is a review transcribed from the notebook I thought I lost last year and just found, which gave me the push to start reviewing again. 12-oz bottle of the '08-09 vintage, kept in the fridge for about a month and poured into my Duvel tulip.

A: 2-stage pour yields 1" dark-tan head, receding to 1/2" that stays in the glass and leaves thick lacing. Beer is black as hell and almost totally opaque.

S: A deep sniff opens with a blast of bitter/burnt chocolate malt, boozy alcohol, and a touch of STRONG Turkish coffee. The aroma lingers and evolves, with touches of rum, port, and dark cherries (chocolate-covered, perhaps?).

T: First sip brings a big hit of bittersweet chocolate and burnt malt upfront leading to boozy navy-rum flavors in the middle, with a sharp whiff of fusels going up my nose. On the back of my tongue comes the sweetness, with a slight ruby-port flavor and a hint of more cherries. Coffee notes prevail throughout, akin to the darkest of espresso beans covered with 85% chocolate. Aftertaste displays yet more complexity, with hints of dark-fruit Jelly Beans (whatever the hell those purple ones are). Hops appear mainly as a slight spiciness in the aftertaste, with hints of cinnamon, clove, and allspice. Subsequent sips seem to reveal a greater sweetness under all the sharp, bitter burnt-chocolate flavors.

M: Mouthfeel is excellent; smooth and slightly viscous, with just the right hint of carbonation.

D: Definitely a bit raw, especially compared to an aged '07-08 I had a few weeks ago (I reviewed it, but I lost the damn notes). Though I would only drink one of this fresh batch in a sitting, BBCS is still dangerously smooth-bodied and warming. (1,684 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance is opaque black with a lingering, creamy brown head and some lacing. Smells of dark chocolate and roasted malts, along with some alcohol. This one tastes of bitter, dark chocolate and has a definite roasted character, some malt sweetness on the front of the palate and a dry, bitter finish. The mouthfeel is thick and viscous, very full bodied.

Drinkability: more on the bitter than the sweet side, and quite strong for a chocolate stout. Perhaps a dessert beer to complement a sweeter dish. (504 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +9.9%

A - Pours BLACK and I mean freaking night time black. No head, what little head it has is dark brown and sticks to the edge of the glass and fades quickly.

S - You can really smell the chocolate, smells like a dark chocolate with a lot of malt.

T - The taste is incredible; very rich, strong, and smooth. Long aftertaste of chocolate, each drink had it's own characteristics, some ended chocolaty and some with a fruity notes.

M - You cannot taste the alcohol, it's very smooth. almost no burn at all.

D - Drinkability is top notch, i could drink this beer all day.

Overall - exceptional beer, love the malty chocolate flavors and sweetness. would recommend to anyone! (677 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Dark, dark brown. Pours a half inch to three quarter inch dark tan head and medium lacing.

S - Dark chocolate covered cherries is the predominant smell with soft undertones of alcohol. Obviously you are going to smell alcohol with an ABV of 10.0%.

T - Almost the same as the nose but with a slight earthy, hickory sensation. Ends with a nice Arabian coffee taste.

M - A good balance of malty body and carbonation. Although it is somewhat thin for an imperial stout.

D - When I think of an imperial stout, I think if this beer. For some reason, I didn't expect a taste like this. It is a nice, balanced afternoon beer. (626 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow what can i say....

I picked this up from Utobeer in London's Borough Market today (March 26th 2011) and had to review it as it took me by complete surprise....

I was expecting just an 'ok' stout from this as my perception of the Brooklyn Brewery is kind of along the lines of mass produced beers so i didnt have high hopes for this.

However, when i opened and poured this, i was captivated by how dark and luscious it looked. It had the blackness to match its name and a lovely aroma.

It goes down very smooth and leaves an addictive film of alcohol and roasted coffee/chocolate flavours on your palatte like all good stouts should.

It has a beautiful lacing on the glass as you drink it down.

To cut it short, i wasnt expecting to drink the best ever stout i had with this.... but i also wasnt expecting such a wonderfully crafted and flavorful drink that goes down so smooth and is so pleasent on the nose and palatte.

Well done Brooklyn Brewery... you have produced an exceptional stout when compared to its price. (1,028 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Provided as an awesome "extra" in a trade with "thecheapies"
Thank you Sir!!!

Bottling in winter 11-12

Pours dark with a fingers with of foamy brown chocolate head.

A smooth swig, consisting of rich malt, coffee, chocolate goodness. A perfect after dinner sip to rival the transitional route. A must try!! (309 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7%

Bottle. Vintage 2006. Pours with a little happy laughter and a big smile on my face. It (the beer, not my face) might have a little brownish hue, but it wouldn’t be fair to call the beer "Brown Chocolate Stout", as it really is as black as the original sin, and topped by a small but dense, tan head. At the very same moment the beer started to show itselves in the glass, heavy aromas escaped the glass, leaving coffee, dark chocolate, burnt and roasted malt, a vague note of dried fruits and even more chocolate, a bit sweet, in my nose. Even though it’s a lovely aroma, I wouldn’t say no to even more complexity. Maybe some hoppyness, which is quite distinctive in the flavor, but the alcohol that comes when sipping it, I’m happy to be without in the aroma. In addition to the elements of the aroma, and the fore-mentioned hops and alcohol, there’s some licorice as well when tasting it. It has a good dash of bitterness in the finish, especially from the hops, but also coffee-like bitterness from the burnt malt. It’s maybe a bit thin on the palate. Not that it is thin, but I expected it to be more chewier, yet it is quite sticky. The beer really suits the cold winter months, with its warming alcohol and lots of heavy flavors and aromas. Next time though, I’m hopefully having a cellared version, as I believe it could use to have its corners rounded a bit. Well, now the beer is gone, all that is left is some nice, tan lacings and some flavors in my mouth. And the memory, off course. By the way, are there some cigar or cigarette smoke as well? At least there was something in the last drop. (070908) (1,620 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I have had this brew for the last 7 offerings(brewing seasons) and every year I look for the uniqueness of each yearly release if there is one.

This years version seems more balanced and a little more complex than most past years versions, I keep a journal with my thoughts and note them when I have my first few sips. I feel that's when the small nuances of each batch are the most impressed upon me. I have never been a big fan of this stout but it is local enough to me where it is priced pretty well at $6.99 a 4 pack. I have seen it at local markets for as much as $3 more.

It seems that this stout always has a character about it that turns me off. I find it on the back end. Up front it has that traditional RIS that's so prevalent for the style but I can't seem to get beyond the off flavors I get towards the end.

There are roasted malts and black licorice candy which you would typically expect in this style but the finish is just too frustrating for me. Some reviews complain about the lack of carbonation here but I think they are on to exactly what I am saying about the finishing flavors. This year I got an idea on how to fix this issue and I have to say I nailed it first try. I added some high end all natural organic vanilla extract, about a teaspoon full into a 12 ounce bottle. Wow! who would think that this 1 thing could change everything about this beer, up front and all the way home.

If this additional flavor was added to this beer at the brewer You would see much higher reviews I am sure. Most reviews are up there but not everyone is as picky and critical of a beer as a few others like me. Try it and see. Just make sure you use high quality extract. Cheers. (1,696 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours like a fine vintage used motor oil (no really that's a good thing), black and just about opaque. Fine dark bubbles, a good solid head the color of milk chocolate that has good staying power. The aroma is mostly roast malt and some chocolate, with very little hop, and that tannic aroma like a sherry.

The flavor is intense, of course, but the strong alcohol isn't evident, except the warming power is there as the sip is swallowed. Body is slightly thin for so much flavor. The roasty, coffee and malty flavor, with strong hop bitterness to balance, isn't so much chocolate except in the lingering soft texture on the tongue. One of the best chocolate/coffee stouts I've had, but actually not the very best. (714 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -19.8%

ok, heres the thing: this beer is tasty, but its just too damn much! not in the booze department either. its just that this thing is so monstrously, i dont know, chocolatey(?)! i mean, my favorite stout hands down is young's double chocolate, so you know that i LOVE that the sweet oatmeals all the way...but this thing...whoo, cmon. its just too much. im sorry.
lemme put it this way: while i was drinking this beer it was just sooo sweat and soo intense that i needed a sweet oatmeal cookie to eat while iw as drinkin it to keep it in check, as it were. not that i dont enjoy the whole cookie-beer thing but i mean, cmon...this thing was just too much. (656 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

bottled in the winter of 06-07, the sexy looking black chocolate stout beckoned my name from the fridge. i withstood its calling for about 30 minutes before cracking it open and pouring what seemed to be an interminable head. impressive for a 10.6% beer. the smell was full of chocolate (obviously) and heavenly sweet malts. and as i enjoyed a big whiff of my pitch black brew, a wall of alcoholic fumes singed my nostrils and abruptly brought me back to reality. the first sip revealed the smooth and creamy taste, but the burning of my digestive tract soon became too distracting. this was infinitely less drinkable than the speedway. i feel that it needs to mask the brutal alcohol a bit more, or just scale down the abv. maybe a year or two in the cellar might have done the trick, but i only bought one bottle. i guess i'll never know... (842 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

Hmmm, what a treat this is.

Pours not-quite-black, with a creamy coffee colored 1-finger head fading into a nice web of lace.

Nose is of sweet toasty malts, lightly roasted coffee, and milky chocolate sweetness. I was anticipating more bitterness but she has a sexy sweetness in the aroma.

That sexiness carries right over to the tongue. Darker chocolate right up front, with a bitter roasty finish. Alcohol warmth is ever so slight, this is just a fantastic drink for a winter evening.

The body was lighter than I expected for a 10+ beer. Silky carbonation and velvety warmth. Drinkable enough to share a pitcher with one buddy at Mellow Mushroom in Charlottesville the next night. But after around 32 ounces of this stuff, I was ready to mix things up.

Overall, this is just a great reason to look forward to winter. Stay righteous. (841 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +16.4%

This is what you're looking for if you are looking for a beer of this type. Greatly appreciated but only lasted for so long. Getting at least two cases at my local Specs. Great price, case price is around $7/ 4pk. Can't tell it is 10% ABV, hardly in the taste. Smell isn't strong like a coffee so it isn't noticeable from a distance. Drank two of the my first time and forgot it was like for other beers! Same thing goes with the much less-drinkable Blaecorn Unidragon from Clown Shoes. Highly recommended since I just discovered it in early January 2014, now it is indeed my favorite beer to date. Sucks it is only seasonal. (625 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I really enjoy this beer. It's at a great price, looks, smells, and tastes great... It just works for me. Has become one of my favorites along with Founder Breakfast Stout. (172 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

12/13/03 - My lucky day! I was able to try this one on tap recently while visiting my wife's family in Long Island. After looking through a long list of beer's at Croxley's, I couldn't pass up this beauty.

Appearance: Black, dark and malty. However, the lighting at the bar did not allow me to really analyze the color The medium sized head was a dark mocha like espresso and remained in tact for the first few minutes.

Smell: A variety of rich roasted malts that say 'get ready, here I come' . The hop character was strong enough to rise through the malts.

Taste: Simple delicious! A symphony of roasted malt flavor, chocolate, and caramel to add a perfect level of sweetness. The alcohol flavor adds some spice, but it's not overpowering. It is relatively complex and leaves you savoring each distinct flavor. Like the smell, hops make a mild showing and add a great balance.

Mouthfeel & drinkability: A smooth, yet moderately powerful brew. There was light to medium carbonation which seemed to fit perfectly.

Overall: One of the best stouts I've ever had. Hands down, this is the best Brooklyn product I've tried to date. (1,141 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - black in color with a light to decent head. thick looking!

Smell - This is as roasty. The malts and smells of chocolate are of the "super-dark" type. I can actually pick up several types of chocolate and coffee aromas. this beer shows a lot of depth in character.

Taste - This is like drinking a dark chocolate drink and callng it a beer. It is so dark and so chocolaty, it's unbelievable. This one definitely lives up to its name.

Mouthfeel - This beer is full in the mouth, was very big with an amazing smoothness. lipsmacking!

Drinkability - enjoy the flavors all on their own. This is incredible. but for kicks, have some chocolate with... it will wow you

Comments - very good but strong beer.... I love very good but strong beers! its a winter winner!!!! (781 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

I was really looking forward to my first sip of this year’s BBCS on draft until the chap next to me said it was ‘thin.’

When my glass was set in front of me, I immediately noticed a fruit smell and then a flavored coffee aroma. Not a definitive flavor but a cloudy coffee smell. The head was reasonable and had a nice creamy tone. My first sip tasted fantastic but yes it did indeed ‘feel’ thin. The alcohol is not pronounced, which did make it easier to down the entire pint. As it warmed it should have gotten tastier but the thinness was more obvious than it was cold. Overall okay, but I’ll try the bottled version when I get a chance. (646 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Dark dark dark, no light coming through, coffee and cream colored head that dissipates sooner than I would expect. Swirling brings it back, not a lot of lacing. There's sweet chocolate malt, and coffee nose, hint of bitterness, can smell the alcohol warmth
The bitter coffee taste is balanced by a mild sweetness. This gives way to hop bitterness and alcohol. It definitely earns the "Imperial" title. Mouthfeel is thick, but not overly so; smooth, and creamy. Substantial Slides down the throat slowly. Very pleasant.

It's too heavy to have a lot of, but it tastes so good I could see myself throwing back three or four before realizing what hit me. Then I would stand up, and the floor would hit me. (702 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Dark black color with a thick 2 inch head that leaves multiple lines of lacing.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and coffee.

T - A strong roasted malt flavor that leaves a slight chocolate aftertaste. You can really feek the high alcohol content which leaves your throat and chest warm.

M - Very thick and creamy.

D - A great brew for its style! (349 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured this beer from a 12 oz bottle. Poured black with a brownish head. Left a thin coller around the glass. This beer did not impress me. It was a solid beer, but did not stand out against other beers in this category. it was a solid beer, but I would not put out the effort to get it again. (293 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery