Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Enjoying this as my Thanksgiving desert nightcap-

Pored from 12oz bottle - limited bottling- Winter 10-11.

Poured a dark almost syrup consistency - Reminds you of the motor in a lawn mower that hasn't had it's oil changed for a couple of years . Nice two finger head that dissipated quickly leaving behind a thick foamy tan lace .

Smell - I didn't get much - some burnt coffee hints with maybe a little chocolate

Taste - This is where the stout made up for the smell -
Coffee was almost immediate ,hints of burnt malts , the chocolate was evident in the aftertaste.

Drinkability -very well blended and balanced, it's high abv% is hidden well in the flavor - Extremely drinkable - recommended as a desert stout.

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.34/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev -9.6%

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

Coming out of the bottle this is black, with some light coming through making it dark brown. Once it hits the glass it is all black. The head is a dark tan color and ends up becoming a thin ring around my Brooklyn tulip.

The aroma has a huge, charred character to it from the roasted malts. It smells like the malt is still being cooked. Behind all the roast is the expected dark chocolate notes, and a hefty but pleasant fruitiness.

The beer is sweet in the middle with some big chocolate notes along with some sweet fruitiness. It reminds me of a chocolate covered cherry or raspberry. The finish is somewhat dry and roasty with some solid bitterness contributing some slight coffee flavors. There is also some lingering dark fruit flavors in the finish.

The mouthfeel is smooth and silky with a big, mouth coating body. The moderate carbonation lightens the impact on this beer quite a bit. When I shook out most of the carbonation, the beer seems a lot bigger and sweeter, and the drinkability suffers. I'd love to try this with some chocolate covered raspberries.

Aging notes:

I had a vertical of this beer going back 6 years, and from memory I think one year is the sweet spot. After a year, there is a slight mint character that gets stronger and stronger with each year. It's a positive attribute after two years but gets weird after that. After over a year, it loses it's vibrancy and becomes duller, with oxidation notes getting stronger, which isn't a good thing.

I took notes from a side by side with 2009 vs, 2008, and I found the year old bottle to have more of a dark fruitiness in the nose which seems to bring out the dark chocolates more. The fresh version has more vibrancy in the nose. The flavor of the 2008 has more dark chocolate notes with a smoother mouthfeel. It seems a bit thinner, and the alcohol is very well hidden. One or two years max on this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Pitch black motor oil with a dark brown head that dissipates into muddy lacing. Beautiful.

Bitter Bakers chocolate and alcohol with a coffee back, dark roasted scents abound.

The malty chocolate and alcohol ride in the front seat while the hops are hogtied in the trunk. Bittersweet finish strong in alcohol, but good.

Heavy body chewy, balanced by good carbonation.

A sipper, but a good beer no less. Excellent job.

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

Presentation: 11oz bottle in a classic Guinness style flared pint glass

This has been on my short list of beers to try for a while, and I finally get the chance.

Big nose of black, no, burnt coffee. Thick, traces of licorice, deep, molasses, ironically mild chocolate tones initially but they become more apparent as it warms, warm raisins, nuts, wood, deep malts yet soft, some alcohol sharpness and hop bitters dance.

Head was a crazy 2 fingers of lively, bouyant, tight mocha foam that settled to about a 1/4" of cover, lacing the sides in splotches. It poured thick, viscous, oily, the deepest ebony burnt umber-black, maybe some ruby port light peeking thru at the glass bottom.

Oh, this is luscious. Smooth, velvety is the best term to describe the feeling on the tongue. A surprising, subtle quality of dried pit fruits like cherry. This is a sipper. It commands a little time, earning my respect. Its very even up front as the sweetly bittered malts, no, a seriously dark baking chocolate, play with the hops, a nice molasses quality to it. It softens on the pallete, allowing the malts to shine thru, some tannins are noticable. The finish is a nice left hook of alcohol as it rises from the throat thru the nasal cavities, opening up my senses to more experiences as a nice sweetness rises up and comforts the mouth before it disappears in a nice, dried fruitlike finish that coats what is not alreadt numb in my mouth from the high ABV.

A surprisingly smooth Imperial Stout. I've head some that were more brutish & raw (GLBC Blackout) and I thoroughly enjoyed this. Matter of fact, I am craving another one so that I might enjoy it slower, more relaxed. Thats the word - relaxed. If you are looking for a Russian Imperial Stout that is "relaxed" check this out. An outstanding beer, and one that will definitely move off the short list of "got to try" and onto the short list of "must have every winter". Highly recommeded.

Poured a viscous, night-black color with a soft and dissipating mocha-colored head that leaves behind plenty of lacing. The surface is racked with large bubbles and the carbonation seems low-medium. I smell loads of mocha, nuts, semi-sweet chocolate, coffee, smoke, and burnt wood. The taste resembles the aromas and is great with a thick, bready aftertaste. Full-bodied and complex but all the elements seem to come together and compliment one another. Hints of smoke and burnt wood add great depth and balance the sweetness of the beer. Chocolate ice cream with a touch of syrup is how this feels in my mouth; smooth and creamy. Warming alcohol sensation after a few sips with a semi-dry finish. Overall, this beer is sheer perfection; everything I could want in a RIS...just amazing! Great with a chocolate or cream based dessert or by itself in the winter months.

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

12oz bottle, winter 11-12 vintage. Thanks to ADZA for this extra! Poured into a Brooklyn tulip.

Pours oily. Jet black, with no light able to permeate through. Nice two-finger, small bubble head of foam on top with good retention. No lacing.

Smells of chocolate, if course, belgian chocolate, brownish and cocoa. Turns a little one dimensional over time, but great to start with.

Complex chocolate taste with a mix of dairy, dark and Belgian interwoven very well.

Silky smooth and oily mouthfeel early. Some warmth and finishes with a nice roasted bitterness that leaves you contemplating the beer, but keen for another sip after a little bit.

Does everything it says and almost all you want. It's big, its chocolatey, but its very good and well worth trying. Only question is why it took me almost 6 years to revisit. Thanks Adam for an enjoyable refresher course!

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%

I have been drinking Brooklyn Beers for ages, but for some reason this one always escaped me. I have always been happy with the quality of Brooklyns brews and after researching Imperial Stouts I figured I had to give it a shot.
I got myself a sixpack of Winter 07-08 bottles and I have to say I was impressed. I like stout and I guess I drink it pretty regularly (usually opting for Young's Chocolate, Smith's Oatmeal or old reliable Guinness). The look, smell and taste of the Brooklyn Chocolate Stout were top notch. I drank it from a small brandy snifter (which I highly recommend)and I was was totally impressed. This is not a brew to be swilled while watching the game, (it is filling and strong) but to be enjoyed in small quantities, much like a fine brandy/cognac. I recommend it with dessert or by itself with a nice cigar.

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%

I'm having a mini-vertical here, tasting the 04/05 and 05/06 simultaneously. I think I got these bottles from autumnaldave a long, long time ago, and it's time they were drunk.

Appearance-wise, they're obviously very similar. Attractive creamed coffee heads and stout black bodies.

The 04 actually smells stronger than the 05 to me. Getting my nose right in the former, I get a melange of chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malt and alcohol spice. Raising my nose a bit from the glass, the chocolate really floats above all else magnificently. The latter seems more muted.

They taste markedly different. The initial taste on the 04 reminds me of chocolate licorice with some anise and transitions into a delicious, mellow roasted finish. A slight hint of burnt cereal remains long after you've swallowed. The 05 lacks the dark chocolate spike at the beginning; its initial taste is more straight fruitiness. Similar finish to the 04. This seems more like a traditional RIS. Both have a bit of a sour tang, but it's more pronounced in the 05. Overall, I think the 04 has a bit of a "fuller" flavor than the 05.

The mouthfeel on both is outstanding, nice and gooey. I'm having a very easy time drinking the 04, less so the 05.

My overall rating will have to be a synthesis of the two years, which I would break down independently as:

04/05: Appearance: 4, Smell: 4.5, Taste: 4.5, Mouthfeel: 4, Drinkability: 4.5

05/06: Appearance: 4, Smell: 3.5, Taste: 3.5, Mouthfeel: 4, Drinkability: 3.5

4.22/5  rDev +1.7%

After hearing rave reviews about this brew I had to try it.

Appearance: pours a baker's chocolate brown with a pillowy, milk chocolate head.

Smell: toasty mocha notes with big 85% cocoa Godiva bar scents and a gingerbread finish

Taste: very roasty and malty. Velvety smooth with a fresh made s'mores quality like singed marshmellows and melted dark chocolate.

This is a truly complex beer with wonderful after dinner chocolate goodness and a 10% ABV to boot. Cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%