Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,722 | Hads: 6,260
4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

12/13/03 - My lucky day! I was able to try this one on tap recently while visiting my wife's family in Long Island. After looking through a long list of beer's at Croxley's, I couldn't pass up this beauty.

Appearance: Black, dark and malty. However, the lighting at the bar did not allow me to really analyze the color The medium sized head was a dark mocha like espresso and remained in tact for the first few minutes.

Smell: A variety of rich roasted malts that say 'get ready, here I come' . The hop character was strong enough to rise through the malts.

Taste: Simple delicious! A symphony of roasted malt flavor, chocolate, and caramel to add a perfect level of sweetness. The alcohol flavor adds some spice, but it's not overpowering. It is relatively complex and leaves you savoring each distinct flavor. Like the smell, hops make a mild showing and add a great balance.

Mouthfeel & drinkability: A smooth, yet moderately powerful brew. There was light to medium carbonation which seemed to fit perfectly.

Overall: One of the best stouts I've ever had. Hands down, this is the best Brooklyn product I've tried to date. (1,141 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +12%

Appearance - black in color with a light to decent head. thick looking!

Smell - This is as roasty. The malts and smells of chocolate are of the "super-dark" type. I can actually pick up several types of chocolate and coffee aromas. this beer shows a lot of depth in character.

Taste - This is like drinking a dark chocolate drink and callng it a beer. It is so dark and so chocolaty, it's unbelievable. This one definitely lives up to its name.

Mouthfeel - This beer is full in the mouth, was very big with an amazing smoothness. lipsmacking!

Drinkability - enjoy the flavors all on their own. This is incredible. but for kicks, have some chocolate with... it will wow you

Comments - very good but strong beer.... I love very good but strong beers! its a winter winner!!!! (781 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

I was really looking forward to my first sip of this year’s BBCS on draft until the chap next to me said it was ‘thin.’

When my glass was set in front of me, I immediately noticed a fruit smell and then a flavored coffee aroma. Not a definitive flavor but a cloudy coffee smell. The head was reasonable and had a nice creamy tone. My first sip tasted fantastic but yes it did indeed ‘feel’ thin. The alcohol is not pronounced, which did make it easier to down the entire pint. As it warmed it should have gotten tastier but the thinness was more obvious than it was cold. Overall okay, but I’ll try the bottled version when I get a chance. (646 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Dark dark dark, no light coming through, coffee and cream colored head that dissipates sooner than I would expect. Swirling brings it back, not a lot of lacing. There's sweet chocolate malt, and coffee nose, hint of bitterness, can smell the alcohol warmth
The bitter coffee taste is balanced by a mild sweetness. This gives way to hop bitterness and alcohol. It definitely earns the "Imperial" title. Mouthfeel is thick, but not overly so; smooth, and creamy. Substantial Slides down the throat slowly. Very pleasant.

It's too heavy to have a lot of, but it tastes so good I could see myself throwing back three or four before realizing what hit me. Then I would stand up, and the floor would hit me. (702 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Dark black color with a thick 2 inch head that leaves multiple lines of lacing.

S- Strong smell of chocolate and coffee.

T - A strong roasted malt flavor that leaves a slight chocolate aftertaste. You can really feek the high alcohol content which leaves your throat and chest warm.

M - Very thick and creamy.

D - A great brew for its style! (349 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -23.4%

Poured this beer from a 12 oz bottle. Poured black with a brownish head. Left a thin coller around the glass. This beer did not impress me. It was a solid beer, but did not stand out against other beers in this category. it was a solid beer, but I would not put out the effort to get it again. (293 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Served: 12 oz. bottle into pint glass

A: Dark purplish-black, 3/8" light brown head darkening towards the edges, holding it to the light brings out a reddish tint in the head and more purple.

S: Fruityness, mild roasted coffee, hint of alchohol, slight groung ginger.

T: Dried fruits then nutty and roasted - coffee ice cream - slight bitterness that spreads across the tongue

M: Light, lots of carbonation that bites at the tongue on the finish, slight alchohol warmth through the chest.

D: Well-balanced bigger stout, 10% ABV is not noticeable in the taste, no need to just sip this one.

etc: "bottled winter 08-09" (623 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +4.3%

Pour from bottle into a wine glass.

A - Deep black, with maybe a little bit of brown. This is about as dark as beer gets! Very little head.

S - Rich cocoa aroma, mixed with clean maltiness. I'm picking up on a bit of the alcohol as well.

T - Chocolate, coffee, and toffee notes. There's some warming from the alcohol as it goes down, not surprising for the ABV. Very well balanced and smooth. Very little roasty bitterness.

M - Creamy, silky mouthfeel, with noticeable carbonation.

D - Way too drinkable for the ABV!

This brew is everything I expected and more. I'll be tucking a couple of these away to revisit in a few months to see how it ages. Perfect for a cold winter's evening next to the fire! (711 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured from bottle to pint glass.

A Pours a dark black opaque. Creamy brown head that lasts until the beer is done. Lots of lacing along the sides of the glass.

S Lots of chocolate and coffee smell. Malty background notes.

T Strong tasting chocolate notes, coffee, as well as toffee and caramel malts.

M A very full bodied and creamy beer. Heavy on the tongue. Slight alcohol warming.

Overall impression of this beer is very good. A great beer to have on a cold winter night to warm you up and provide some time in thought. A very drinkable beer if you have the time to appreciate depth of flavor. (603 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

2009 Vintage on tap at the MN Craft Brewers Guild Autumn Brew Review 2011 in Minneapolis at the historic Grain Belt Complex. Delicious brew. Very subtile and complex at the same time. Am very excited to have a couple bottles of these in the old cellar! (252 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from an 11-12 winter bottle into a pint glass.

A--Black. That's an obvious one. Pours about a half-inch tan head.

S--Chocolate, hazelnut, coffee. Aroma is full and rich. It's one of those beers where you try to pick apart the complexities, and all of a sudden find yourself sipping on it.

T--heavy roasted malts, coffee, burnt sugar, and red wine. The alcohol is fairly subtle.

M--not as viscous as other Russian Imperials, but still has a pleasantly thick/syrupy consistency. Think coffee with chocolate syrup.

Overall: This one's a sipper, folks. There's nothing more perfect than sitting at home on a cold night with a boozy stout like this. In my mind, this is the quintessential RIS. (700 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +11.6%

05-06 Picked from a Brooklyn Multi Pack.

Poured in a Tumbler with a two finger, thick chocolate color head. Wow, what an awesome color the head turns after being poured. Like a mix of heavy cream and dark chocolate.

Smell is the typical but pungent dark coffee roast. And the mouth feel is fantastic and smooth like silk.

Exceptional Imperial, and another classic from Brooklyn Brewery. (395 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Found a bottle of 02 in my cellar. poured into a glass still maintained a substantial head the nose still has a nice roasty chocolate presence, but one gets a bit of sourness intermingled. in the mouth one still gets a good dose of carbonation, but these beer has passed its peak. the sourness on the nose comes through on the palate and coats the side of the mouth while the chocolate malts slide over the tounge. the aftertaste is much better than the initial flavoring, leaving behind a roasty flavor.
just came back to this beer after 30 odd minutes the noose got stronger but hte palate definitly fell apart. this beer works much better as a two year old (660 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

The first time I tried this I got a quick thumbs up from my local retailer and brought it home to compliment my chile. The chile was hot enough that I didn't really taste the alcohol and I couldn't understand why my ears seemed to be flushed after only one glass of beer. It wasn't until I read other reviews that I learned it has a hefty 10.5% alcohol content - this is definitely a sipping beer.

The beer is dark and pours nicely into the glass with a full light chocolate head. The brew lives up to it's name as chocolate dominates the tasking notes from start to finish. In all honesty, I would probably rate the beer a bit higher if it had less alcohol, maybe just because I'd feel freer to drink more than one. Tonight I'm snowed in and am not going to bother plowing the driveway, so I can drink with confidence. However, I do think the alcohol detracts from the taste just a tad, enough to keep it out of the exceptional catagory. The brothers seemed to split on their impression of this beer. I'm in between - it won't be my first choice but I will recommend it to some of my beer loving friends. (1,107 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Purchased the beer from a local grocery store that gave the product high marks.

A - Dark malt color w/ little to no head. Had the same appearance of a Coke in the glass. Beer may have been too cold to produce more of a foamy head so I will not hold it against the product.

S - Nice sweet smell of malted barley with a hint of chocolate and coffee.

T - Sweet roasted malt and coffee with a hint of chocolate. Alcohol is detectable but not overpowering.

M - Smooth with a slightly bitter finish.

D - A very solid stout. My wife even enjoyed this beer and she rarely, if ever drinks a stout. A great beer to drink as you relax by the fire and watch the snow fly. (664 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +14.7%

So, Im at Room 11 in DC and having some local beers and I ask the server Chelsea, "hey, whats the Brooklyn Dark Stout like?". Im from California and had never had one but Im nervous of what some people call stouts. Im used to them being big, bold, in your face thick beers and didnt want to be disappointed. She said, "you have to try one" and brought me one back.

OK, so I take the bottle and pour it in to the glass and it looks as black as used motor oil coming out of an ol john deere tractor. NICE! All my friends are looking at me like Im nuts for even wanting that beer but this is my style!

I smell the beer..once again, NICE! It smells like a good stout and very chocolate.

The taste..well, I sat there speechless for a few seconds while trying to digest all the great flavors and when I looked up all I did was nod at her.

All in all I ended up having 6 of these bad boys and went to the store the next day so I could bring one home to SD for my friends to try. Well done, Brooklyn! (996 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a Winter '09-'10 bottle.

Inky black color with a finger-width dun head that lingers the whole way. Very limited lacing on the glass. You can smell the alcohol along with dark roasted coffee, but the taste is all coffee and chocolate. The medium carbonation helps with the head retention and makes for a real nice mouthfeel. Extremely drinkable stout but the alcohol does sneak up on you. (400 characters)

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint Glass

Pours a light swallowing pitch black with a nice little brown head that offers very little lacing.

Dark Roasted malts with some chocolate coming through. A little caramel finds its way through as well.

Roasted malts are the first thing that hit the palate with semi sweet chocolate following right behind. a little bit of coffee bitterness closes it out combined with A nice little bit of warming from the high ABV but not off putting at all, it would be a great beef on a cold winter night.

Creamy and sticks with you for a bit. Medium to full bodied lightly carbonated. Again something i would crave on a cold winter night.

Drinks easy for a 10% abv beer but it does have some bite to let you know you are drinking a high ABV brew but not enough to deter from the drinkability.

Ill say it once again, a great brew for a cold night to warm you up. (903 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Winter 2011-2012 release.

A: Pours opaque black with three fingers of brown foamy head which quickly dissipates into a thin layer of bubbles that linger through the finish.

S: Sweet booziness with hints of chocolate and coffee.

T: Flavors of bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts lend a bitterness that compliments the sweet boozy taste. The alcohol is not overpowering.

M: Fantastic, smooth mouthfeel. Not as syrupy as I anticipated, which is a definite plus. Just the right amount of carbonation. The alcohol provides an excellent level of warmth.

O: Overall, this was an excellent imperial stout with a nice chocolatey backbone. Exceptional mouthfeel for the style. I plan to cellar one for a year or so to see how it matures. (736 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a thick dark solid black with a nice half inch creamy brown head which quickly subsides...with a nice lacing on the sides of the glass...this beer is dark!....even my ultra bright led torch made no impact on this beer!...i couldn't see one photon getting through all that rich dark beer!

Aroma is very subtle but a pleasant burnt caramel/toffee, rich roasted barley with dark chocolate and a very slight hint of vanilla in the background...

This is a rich black full Imperial stout just the way they should be! think Guinness Foreign Extra Stout but then imagine that being more refined and smoother with a much more pronounced alcoholic but delicate warm finish wrapped around it....this is a nice beer!

Mouth feel is full and balanced with the bitterness perfectly balanced with the slight sweetness...

Top Stuff from the Americans here, this is a top quality thick heavy and beautiful imperial stout... (917 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout was this year's (2014) best chocolate stout. A proper, full bodied stout in its own right, it had just the right amount chocolate taste to make it the perfect after dinner drink with dessert. (224 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +6.7%

This is not a dark beer, this is a BLACK beer. This stygian brew had a very interesting head that at first appeared to be a rust color, but slowly transformed into a creamy walnut color as I continued to pour. I was amazed at how dark this beer actually is. It is almost completely aphotic when held to a light. Perhaps the best embodiment of a stout that I have ever seen.

This beer has a subtly spicy smell, dominated by chocolate (obviously) and coffee. A powerful scent that was noticed (positively) by other drinkers sitting nearby.

It clings stubbornly to the side of the glass when swirled, not quite like a New England Maple Syrup would be, but close enough where the ebony color is still easily noticeable when the glass is placed down again.

This beer is more like a food than a beverage. The chocolate flavor melts into a molasses type taste and mouthfeel, with a very mild hopiness to balance out the forceful, yet not overdone, roasted malt. I can taste what I can only identify as the ever so carefully blackened exterior of a steak in the malt. I am left with a continued flavor of spicy molasses after finishing this mouthful of beer. An experience not unlike eating a rich, moist piece of chocolate cake.

This is a beer best enjoyed in limited quantities. It is a complex beer that lingers pleasantly and can be enjoyed long after having been swallowed. Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout is not really a thirst quenching beer, but could be easily used as a meal or dessert unto itself. (1,512 characters)

3.7/5  rDev -10.8%

Overall pretty good, for some reason the alcohol was a bit too pronounced for my palate, it seemed to get in the way of the beer. Otherwise not bad nice and dark, Chocolate flavor.
I may give this one another try at another time if in the mood to give second chances. (267 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -7%

This beer pours pitch black with minimal head (I suppose I expected more of a creamy head on top). The color definitely lets you know what you are getting into. It has a very nice chocolaty nose, however this is accompanied by a fairly strong alcoholic smell, that almost gives this brew a cheap character. Feels full bodied on the tongue and has a strong, yet not overwhelming chocolate taste that finishes with smooth notes of dark, almost bitter, chocolate.
My initial thoughts were that calling this a "beer" is a bit of a stretch. So much of the experience that this brew provides makes me think "chocolate barley wine?" Overall, great taste, but this one definitely does not kick back easily. (698 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

appearance
Dark as the winter night, with ruby highlights.

smell
Sweet roast with some alcohol phenols, chocolate and rich caramel, and a whiff of dark berries.

taste
Heavy roast (burnt), heavy sweet caramel

mouthfeel
Full without being chewy.

drinkability
Could easily ask for another.

comments
Goes really well with ancho chili chocolate and a nice fire. (368 characters)

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery