Follow our progress ...

New York, United States | website

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-04-2000

Reviews: 2,781 | Ratings: 6,552

A - pitch black with a barely there tan head which didn't last enough lace the glass. At first I was disappointed but shouldn't have been given the ABV

S - I would have to agree with the other ratings definitely some dark fruits (raisin or prunes) followed by of course chocolate.

T - More of espresso than coffee with a hint of chocolate and alcohol

M - Warm but dry, due to the alcohol content

D - The finish was dry with a lasting espresso roast into the aftertaste. The alcohol gives a warm feeling after consumption.

If you can still get your hands on a bottle I would savor it and bring it out later in the year.

4.45/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A thick black motor oil pour into my glass. With a nice tan head that fades in a few minutes.
Is it just me or does this beer sound really good as it pours?

Smell: Strong notes of black Chocolate with roasted malty undertones.

Taste: Heavy dark chocolate with just the right amount of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Full, but not over the top. This is a fantastic sipper.

Drinkability: IMO this is a fantastic example of a Chocolate Imperial Stout and is one of my absolute favorite beers. I think that this is a real standout and is definitely worth trying for anyone.

The perfect nightcap after a long cold winter day. Cheers!

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured literally pitch black into a pint glass with a thick brown head; almost like espresso crema, which dissipated to a light brown ring around the glass, and some lacing.

Smelled like chocolate, malt, alcohol, and a bit of coffee on the pour. Not overwhelming at all.

The taste was (as my wife said), like a sledgehammer to the mouth. Molasses, DARK chocolate, coffee, dates, and alcohol. Sweet too, almost too sweet. This is a strong beer, and it tastes that way. Thick mouthfeel too. Somewhat overwhelming.

Overall, this is a good beer, but a little over the top for me. The mouthfeel and strength are more in line with a barleywine like Old Crustacean (although the flavor is obviously totally different); and this from a guy who generally likes dark beers.

On that note; this is by far the darkest and most opaque beer I have ever seen. I held it up to a lamp, and no light came through. I was so surprised that I went and got my ludicrously powerful LED emitter light (brightest thing you have ever seen; built the switching PSU myself to drive a luxeon emitter for all the electronics nerds out there) which I stuffed into an old plastic LED flashlight.

In comparison, a Guinness looks like a dark amber with that light behind it.

Insane; this light will leave you unable to see indoors for at least a minute if you look at it. Think about it ;)

edited: I have grown into some of these bigger beers, and this beer is a lot better than I gave it credit for.

4.06/5  rDev -2.2%

At first I thought the Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout came in a special black bottle... but I was wrong. To say this stout is dark is a complete understatement. This brew black hole black! When held up to the light absolutely no light passes through... This is then topped off with a rich dark tan head, which unfortunately dissipates quickly. Aroma is nice... nothing overpowering maybe some fruity notes. Taste is great. Dark chocolate is the obvious flavor; the high alcohol content is also prevalent. As the beer hits the front of the tongue maybe even a hit of sweet fruit notes. Mouth feel is ok, carbonation is high... The Black Chocolate Stout is the perfect desert, as the finish of this is probably the best I have experienced. The taste of chocolate will linger on the back of the tongue well after the beer is gone.

4.85/5  rDev +16.9%

The tan head forms up nicely and stands proud as if to say, "I am Brooklyn, and Brooklyn is Stout." Black does not even begin to describe this brew. It's advanced darkness that seeks light (lite) of the world and swallows it whole. The nose is as fruity and toasty as the first taste is. The body isn't too heavy and it leaves a good fruit flavour that I love from a good stout and only comes out in the best of chocolates. Good beer all around, a must buy if ya got it.

Appearance - motor oil pitch black. Nice tan head.

Smell - dark chocolate. a bit of raisin as well. unique and complex as you would want from the style.

Taste - dark chocolate taste and roasted coffee with slight caramel and dark fruit again that might be my favorite part of this beer) . Roasted malt up front then ends with a slight hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Very smooth and silky on the palate, with that nice hop bite at the end. Nice hangtime that really lets some of the complex flavors come through on the palate.

Drinkability - Drinkability is far, far too good for a beer of this weight and Alcohol content. I am partial to the style and this is my favorite example. CHEERS!

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

12oz bottle to Brooklyn snifter, '10-11 release.

A: Pours ink black with about half a finger of milk chocolate colored head that disappeared quickly. Lots of lacing sticking to the side of the glass. What you want an imperial stout to look like.

S: Complex smell. Espresso, milk/dark chocolate, roasted malt, some notes of dark fruit, figs, raisins, plum, and aroma from the alcohol.

T: Dark chocolate, some bitterness from the chocolate/espresso flavors towards the middle of the tongue, roasted flavor, some sweetness from the dark fruit, and booziness.

M: Medium bodied, smooth with a bit of carbonation. A slight alcohol burn, but it's masked well by the flavors of the beer.

D: It's definitely a sipper at 10%, but the booziness is by no means overwhelming.

4.94/5  rDev +19%

Truly one of the most delicious beers I have of this style. Unlike some "chocolate stouts" that resort to putting chocolate in their brew, Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout has no need to rely those techniques. It's amazingly rich and incredibly smooth despite its over the top nature. Very worth buying at 9 per 4 pack!

4.73/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Presentation: From a 12 oz long neck from a 4 pack with date. Says the 2014-2015 season.

Appearance: Like it says...black. I can't even see through it when I hold it up to a light. Maybe a little brown. Superb lacing that remains in it's place. Moderate carbonation is present but it's hard to see because of the black.

Smell: Coffee and yeast, fresh bread like smell.

Taste: Dark robust coffee, dark bitter chocolate, burnt malt undertones, some sweetness (that is thankfully fleeting), and then hops are present towards the end to complement the coffee and dark chocolate.

Overall: This is one of my favorite stouts. High ABV with a prefect pairing of chocolate and coffee. A lot of times these double stouts or high ABV stouts have a sickly sweet taste and aftertaste that prevails. This one avoids that brewing mistake and gives you what you want from a stout...something to get through the frigid cold of winter. I highly recommend this brew!

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

Poors a deep black with a ruby highlight. Tha roated malt gives this a fantastic aroma . Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. The chocolate and coffe flavor make this perfect for a dessert ar an accompaniment for a good Cohiba. The 02-03 bottle is quite high in A.B.V. and is evident but subdued by the rich flavor. Finishes with an almost capucinno flavor. Best enjoyed in a tulip glass with a good friend or sitting by the fire, Probably the finest Imperial I've ever had.

4.38/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this one recently at the brewery. Right up front I'll say it, a fine beer, my absolute favorite from Brooklyn. Even had to take a few bottled versions home, same results.

Fantastic black beauty with deep brown head that virtually stuck to the sides of my glass. Looked and felt like I was drinking an ice cream float, only tasted much better.

Robust roasted malt hints overwhelm the nose right away, leading right into the taste, which was fenominal. Hard for me to separate the two since the olfactory sense is hard to divide into two with this one. Chocolate and black java are the key tastes. Dry hop after taste is very remarkable finishing touch.

This one is velvety smooth even creamy in the mouth. Not for the faint of heart, a heavy beer great in the fall and winter.

It's hard to hide that I'm a huge fan, so I'll admitt it, I'll have again and again and would recommend it to any fan of big stouts.

Compared a 10-11 and 11-12 to see what changed over a year....not much, the 10-11 was just slightly less bitter.

A - Very dark, nice tan head with good retention.

S - A lot of chocolate, a little burnt malt, and light coffee

T - Coffee is more prominent in the taste than the aroma. Bitter chocolate and malt round it. As previously stated this is where the only difference was evident when aged a year, slightly less bitter.

M - Nice and chewy, light carbonation, don't notice the alcohol much.

O - In my stout hierarchy this one is solid, not the best or the worst. The price is what is very appealing, a great value.

3.98/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Poured from a 12 oz marked ‘06-‘07 into a pint glass. This bottle says 10.6% ABV as opposed to the listed 8.5. A deep, dark black. Pours like warm syrup, approx. 1/2" copper/orange head, good retention with notable lacing.

S: Whoa, alcohol. It overpowers the hints of mocha, malt roasty/sweetness, toffee, and the bit of hops.

T: Strong alcohol sharpness, roasty malt flavors go well with the chocolate and coffee flavors which are both heavy. Hints of toffee.

M: This one is thick, definitely notable based on the ABV. Astringent drying can be noted on the tongue after swallowing and just before the syrupy nature takes over again and sticks to the mouth.

D: For those of you living in cold areas, this one could be good to keep around if you got snowed in. It's very warming. More than one or two could easily send someone who isn’t a seasoned veteran in high ABV brews over the edge. Definitely an interesting addition to the imperial stout world.

4.37/5  rDev +5.3%

Pitch black with light brown head. It didn't foam up much, but it laced the glass well.
The smell was mostly chocolate... lots of it, sweet caramel maltiness, and a slight prickle of alcohol.
The taste was incredible. It had this awesome strong bittersweet chocolate taste. Very far from cloying, yet it was almost like drinking a dark chocolate bar especially with the thickness.
The mouthfeel was very full, heavy, extremely rich, velvet.
And as far as drinkability goes, I could drink the whole sixpack but I think I would get full after two - so rich. I couldn't detect the alcohol because the chocolate was so rich. (If you think about the price for a sixer of 10% beer it's as cheap as a 30 rack of macro.)

Words alone cannot describe this beer. You must drink it to understand. This is my favorite beer by which all other beers are compared. I have tasted maybe 150-200 different beers, but although some come close, none have matched what I want in a beer more than this.

Vague tasting notes? Yes, but although I don't have the vocabulary necessary to give a detailed review, I can say it honestly is a great brew.

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Black, like dark chocolate, makes sense. Plenty of head with respective staying power with the body's color lending itself to the head

Aroma: Dark chocolate with fancy coffee aromas wandering around in there.

Taste: Delightful. Tastes like it smells, with alcohol nipping at the taste buds and the top palate. Warming all the way down. One of the best after-tastes of any beer. As it warms you notice the alcohol more but still remains enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Along with the 10.6% ABV getting your attention it doesn't distract you from the flavor and is somewhat soft.

Drinkability: It is a slightly heavy beer with tremendous flavor but for a beer meant for sipping it is suited for a casual drinking session within the limits of a six-pack.

Notes: I keep trying to cellar sixers of this tasty brew but as the winter progresses I find myself attracted to it and the next thing I know I only have a few left. Self control must be displayed around this brew as it gets better with age. This is by far my favorite beer of any beer I have ever reviewed or drank.

3.74/5  rDev -9.9%

I poured this from a 12 oz bottle to a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. This imperial stout was pitch black with a thick light brown head that faded to a thin lacing. I didnt get much of a smell from this. Faint scent of chocolate and alcohol. The taste is similar to the smell, it has a high boozy flavor. I like this beer, but i thought i would like it more. I didnt taste the chocolate i expected .

2.43/5  rDev -41.4%

Pourd from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

[A] - Poured black with a reddish mahogony hue around the edges. Head pours a tan 1 finger film that receeds very quickly. Lacing is not impressive in the least especially for an Imperial Stout.

[A] - Roasted malt acidity dominates, perhaps notes of oxidation. Slight bready notes with roasted coffee bean notes as well. Chocolate is VERY faint. Alcohol is almost non - existant but faint in the nose.

[T] - Roasted malt acidity and slightly boozy alcohol numb the palate. Chocolate is faintly preceived. Slight coffee notes make an apperance but do not develop into any substantial portion of taste.

[M] - Spritzy carbonation upfront followed by a semi - creamy malt presence. Alcohol and roasted malt acidity dry the finish.

[D + O] - Roasted malt acidity and oxidation are over the top and not pleasing to the palate. These characteristics dominate the beer. Slight over carbonation detracts from the brew as well. Alcohol is not present in the nose but is preceived as hot/slightly solvent in the taste. I can think of at least 10 (Non - Imperial) stouts that I'd rather enjoy off the top of my head. Very over - rated. Very dissappointed. I will not purchase this beer again.

4.6/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Very dark, with a thick, creamy, tan head. Beautiful lacing to the end.

S: Dried fruit, caramel, and dark malt.

T: Dominated by malts, with a complex range of roasts all standing out individually and blending well: bready, caramel, toffee, and a hint of vanilla with coffee and chocolate coming through at the end. Perfectly balanced in bitterness and residual sweetness. I couldn't help but think "liquid cake," but not candy-sweet. No hot alcohol at all.

M: Creamy and rich body.

D: Incredibly drinkable for 10% ABV. Could be dangerous ;)

I've never been one for the RIS style, but after this beer has encouraged me to explore the style a lot more. A great beer for cold weather.

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

I picked up a couple of these bottles in a create your own craft pack. I usually love everything from Brooklyn Brewery, and was looking to foward to tasting this.

A- A dark black color with a dark brown head.

S- I can smell the alcohol with a hint of chocolate.

T- A dark chocolate bitter flavor.

M- A thick and creamy feeling.

O- It tastes a little more bitter than I expected, but I'm not disappointed.

4.72/5  rDev +13.7%

Bottle to tulip glass.

A: Poured thick and black, tiny caramel head.

S: Roasty chocolately goodness, 100%.

T: There's a bit of licorice bitterness, but mostly chocolately notes dominate. "Black Chocolate Stout" is the perfect name for this one.

M: Little bit of boozy warmth all the way through. Carbonation low enough to get all of the creaminess and chocolatiness onto the palate. Rich and milkshake like.

O: Right up there with Old Rasputin in my book. Great stout, 10% is well hidden, delicious, creamy, warming. Nothing better on a snowy winter's night!

4.4/5  rDev +6%

I just had some from the 6 I bought back in Dec. This Stout ages VERY well. The taste was a bit mellower than before. Not as sharp as the day I got it. Smell was good. Mouthfeel was good too. A lot smoother than before. Look was the same as was the smell. I still have three left, but I'll wait a while to see how those come out.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

Being originally from Brooklyn and a Stout lover I just had to try this beer. ABV 8.5%
This glass was from the tap and very dark.
A pleasant aroma with a hint of chocolate.
I loved the way it tasted, bold with a hint of coffe and chocolate, two of my favorite flavors.
A Russian Imperial Stout that has made it to my list of regular favorites.

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

had this with some milk chocolate with hazelnuts, what a treat!

A: black as darkest africa. thin head
S: intense spicy peat, cocoa, tin foil
T: really not that much chocolate, but deep rich caramel malt sweetness, finishes dry for the style
M: mild carbonation
D: it's a sipper, indeed, per the style

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

Decided to give this brew a second shot this year as it continues to get great reviews. Still not impressed though.

A- Dark black with minimal head when poured slowly into a Chimay glass. Good amount of carbonation present when twirled.

S- Chocolate, dark malts, coffee and alcohol. Almost makes me hope for something in the class of WWS from the smell.

T- Not bad here, a good dark malt/chocolate flavor combined with the coffee making it a nice flavor. The alcohol is a little strong and is easily detectable giving it a bite on the finish that I would prefer better covered either in flavor or decreased percent (this is coming from a guy who likes peaty single malt neat)

M- Here is my biggest complaint on this beer. It feels like water when you dont consider the alcohol. I don't know where people get full bodied but based on its thickness and flow I honestly think it rates more as a porter, the only reason they call it a RIS is b/c of the alcohol percent. Thicken this up and I think the body will go well with the alcohol and flavor

O- I still think the potential is here due to the flavor and aroma of this beer, but it comes off as a porter to me, and a slightly burning one at that. I have my 4 park for the season and can't claim I want more.

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout from Brooklyn Brewery