Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Post Road Pumpkin Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Post Road Pumpkin AlePost Road Pumpkin Ale

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2001

Early American colonialists, seeking natural ingredients for brewing ales, turned to pumpkins, which were plentiful, flavorful and nutritious. Blended with barley malt, pumpkins became a commonly used beer ingredient. Post Road Pumpkin Ale brings back this tasty tradition. Hundreds of pounds of pumpkins are blended into the mash of each batch, creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, biscuity malt center, and crisp finish.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Post Road Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 863 | Hads: 1,997
1.5/5  rDev -57.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A lot of people came into my job looking for this after we sold our two cases so I figured id give it a try. Pours a nice amber/orange color with a very faint pumpkin scent and a slight "beer" scent. Decent sized head with decent retention.

Unfortunately the beer didn't live up to the build up. Nice thing carbonated mouth feel that goes down easy but not much else. Slight traces of pumpkin, allspice, and cinnamon, but not much. All these flavors quickly dissipate however when you swallow and a very moderate hop presence makes itself known. More like a beer with a slight pumpkin flavor than a pumpkin ale.

not what I want when I want pumpkin ales

1.55/5  rDev -56.1%

well, it's better than bill's pumpkin ale, but i just do not understand the pumpkin ale thing. i don't like pumpkin pie, and it is much worse in a beer. a few of my buddies loved this, so i gave it a try. it was a big mistake. again, it is better than the other pumpkin i have had, but it is still just not right to me

1.66/5  rDev -53%

Appearance – Dark amber color with creamy off-white head.

Aroma – Huge Cinnamon smell with a hint of clove.

Palate – Smooth thin mouth feel.

Flavor – Tastes like it smells. Smooth and clean taste upfront that leads into an overwhelming cinnamon and clove aftertaste.

Final thoughts – Not much in the way of pumpkin pie flavor. It should be renamed Cinnamon Ale because it totally dominates the flavor. To me this was a very disappointing experience.

1.88/5  rDev -46.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I can barely taste any type of pumpkin or spice in this beer. Tastes more like one of those Hipster IPA's. Bottle art is cool though. Just needs more taste.

1.9/5  rDev -46.2%

Not very good.

L: Pours amber, golden with consistent, light effervescence. Little to no head, little to no retention.

S: Smells softly of pumpkin bread, some spice

T: I was left searching for pumpkin. Started off (while cold) with nice nutmeg with hints of pumpkin decency. Very little depth whatsoever. Once warm, the body and finish were 100% veggie chips. Very unpleasant. As someone else described it quite well "vegetal funk". Very weird and borderline offensive. This beer tastes pickled.

F: Fine. Dry.

O: I made an account just to say that this is the first beer I have ever considered pouring out. I heard good things about Brooklyn Brewery and I must admit this is the first of their brews I have tried. I picked up a 6 pack and I don't know what to do with the other 5 because even my dog wont drink it. Not for me.

1.97/5  rDev -44.2%

This beer looked and smelled ok...sort of a murky wheat beer look but orange and smelled malty and some spice but no cinnamon or pumpkin smells at all. Taste was really bad. Metallic tasting mess with lingering bitter finish. No pumpkin flavor at all. Overall I'm guessing I got a bad 6-pack because others sampled it and all thought it was bad tasting.

1.99/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a perfect pint.

4.0 A: Clear light orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy/creamy white head. Retention is about average and a good sized ring of lacing is left.

2.5 S: Quite tame and somewhat bland. Mild pumpkin and spices - cinnamon, cardamon, and nutmeg. Not really any allspice, which I am a huge fan of. Moderate caramel maltiness. Lacking depth of aroma.

1.5 T: The taste is like the nose, but devoid of flavor completely instead of just deficient. There's barely any flavor of any kind. The pumpkin and spices that are there seem watered down, which is probably worse than if they weren't present at all. Aside from the pumpkin elements, there is just a touch of crystal maltiness and nothing else.

2.5 M: Light to lighter medium body. Probably a bit too much carbonation and it's somewhat of a bity kind. Lacking creaminess.

1.5 D: This was tough to drink following the DFH Punkin' that I had a few hours prior. Normally bland beers are easy enough to drink and you don't really mind drinking them. However, the watered down vibe this has going makes it a displeasure to drink. Avoid.

2.01/5  rDev -43.1%

Only the 2nd of a series of pumpkin beers I've ever tried, I found this largely indistinguishable from the first sample but just a little less impactful in every category. Frankly I only drank about half of it before I drain poured. This style just isn't my thing. I think the spices overwhelm any of the other standard flavors or experiences you expect from your beer, and in this particular case even though they less overwhelm it (because it isn't as flavorful as others) it just reveals a fairly lame beer at the base of the creation. Sorry, but I've got to be honest.

2.16/5  rDev -38.8%

don't see the appeal in this one. i really enjoy certain pumpkin beers, but i wouldnt have even known this was a pumpkin beer if it was on the label. i think part of the appeal of the pumpkin beer idea is that pumpkin pie taste with the spices of cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. i didnt taste any of that in this one and found it to be rather bland and boring. it didn't have much of a taste and i really wonder why people like it so much. not for me.

2.19/5  rDev -38%

I do not like pumpkin ale. I do not like post road pumpkin ale. It pours orangy amber, with a white head composed of tiny bubbles. Leaves light wispy lacing. This beer is loaded with halloweeny pumpkiny spices. Its sweet and cloying and all together not to my liking. One of the very few not spoiled, not macro brews that I have swilled down the drain in the life

2.23/5  rDev -36.8%

a spicy pumpkin offering, Poured a light orange and very clear. Doesn't compare to some other Pumpkin Ales. Small head and spotty lacing. Taste is spicy. Decent but again, kind of watered down compared to other pumpkin ales. Can do much better when buying a pumpkin ale.

2.25/5  rDev -36.3%

Damn, I remembered better things from this, having it on tap at SI Brewfest, and it was one of my first beers.

Out of the bottle it has a less than good color, more of a yellow amber colored clear body with a an ecru head of 1 and half fingers. Smells overly spicy with small hints of pumpkin. Cinnamon and clove on the nose and tongue with very strong CO2 bite which I found unpleasant. But shit, I bought a six pack and I'm gonna drink a six pack.

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

So this came recommended by Maddhopper. Had it after several Octoberfests...

Nice, clean label. Big-ass pumpkin under "Post Road." Smelled spicy--uh oh. Tastes... spicy. I can understand how someone would like this. It tastes like chai tea with a pumpkin aftertaste. The spice bites a bit, and I taste it. I couldn't drink more than 2 or 3 of these. Too spicy--hints of cinnamon, coriander, and strong, strong nutmeg.

2.3/5  rDev -34.8%

Deep amber with orange hints - topped by a thin off-white head. Aroma has some caramel and a hint of pumpkin pie spice, but not much. Taste is fairly flat and astringent. Minimal notes from pumpkin. More woody than spice of any type. mouthfeel is also dry and thin. Drinkability- it's drinkable, but not enjoyable.

2.36/5  rDev -33.1%

The aroma that came forth from this was quite promising. However, the first sip fell far short of my expectations. This was purchased two days after the fall ales had arrived at my distributor, and, to be frank, perhaps I should have aged it more. The taste was very green, with very strong pumpkin vine tastes early, falling back into a late caramel/burnt pie spice flavor.

A big pumpkin fan in general, perhaps I got my expectations up too high for this one. I will not be purchasing this again.

2.36/5  rDev -33.1%

A: Golden orange color with a soapy 1 finger head.

S: Light spices and pumpkin. Not strong but presant. An off smell I can't put my finger on.

T: Honestly the taste is not very good. Lightly spiced with cinnamon but not much else.

M: Watery with very light carbonation.

Overall: pumpkin beers are 9 times out of 10 very disappointing to me. I feel personally if you're making a pumpkin beer. Make a PUMPKIN beer. Get the spices up and get the pumpkin flavors up. Most are too thin bodied and this one is no
exception. Definitely a poor example of the style.

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Nice reddish/orange hue with moderate head. Smells of allspice, nutmeg, and some pumpkin. Taste is not impressive - horrible aftertaste. Nice pumpkin up front and a little sweet, but finishes with very unpleasant nutmeg bitterness. Moderate density mouthfeel, highly carbonated. Not very drinkable. Don't know if I will ever finish the six pack. Sorry, Brooklyn. Usually love your stuff, but will avoid this one at all costs in the future.

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

My first pumpkin ale...hope it was last years batch....this was not good; Looked ok. Orange amber color, decent light tan head, some lacing. Smell had some kind of pumpkin spice, fairly mild. Taste was not good, skunky cabbagy taste with a soapy aftertaste. Mouthfeel a bit thin. Drinkability not good at all. All things being equal I would take a Bud over this one hands down. I want to try a few more pumpkin ales and see if I have a prejudice against the style or if a guaranteed fresh one purchased in the fall makes a difference.

Brookly Brewery Post Road Pumpkin Ale
21A - Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer

Aroma 5/12
Immediately hit by thick meaty pumpkin which quickly dissipates. There are hints of pie spice that come through more as it warms - nutmeg, cinammon, cloves, all-spice.
As it warms a sweet toasted malt profile comes through. The nose dissipates in general and becomes very thin very quickly.

Appearance 3/3
Deep orange amber color. Clear. A medium-low amount of bubbles rising to the surface. Creamy, frothy off white head that slowly settles to a thick good creamy layer fully covering the surface. Thick foam sticks to the side of the glass and is easily reabsorbed by the beer as it washes over.

Flavor 10/20
Pumpkin meat flavor with sweet roasted barley malts and caramel. Gives way to a soft bitter aftertaste with a pumpkin meat still dominating. A tad watery, with a touch of sulfur to the mineral profile. As it warms the pie spices start to come subtly through and the pumpkin meat becomes very faint. These specialty ingredients take a backseat to the hops bitterness and sweet malt profile - with the exception of the cinammon/all-spice, which dominate with a high level of bitterness and astringency.

Mouthfeel 2/5
Medium bodied. Crisp. High carbonation. Very astringent - my tongue feels slightly numb from a large mouthfull. There is an alcohol warmth that is surprising for a 5% abv.

Overall Impression 4/10
It looks and starts out like a pumpkin ale but then turns into something else entirely as it warms. If the brewer was going for a good balance and trying not to make this an in your face pumpkin, he seems to have erred on the side of caution and understated the specialty ingredients. Reducing any cinammon/all-spice additives that may be present could help bring balance and reduce the high level of astringency. Try reducing the carbonation level to give a smoother feel.

2.38/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured a dark amber--nice frothy head that lasted a minute or so..Nose barely of ale, light mouthfeel, hardly a hint of pumpkin or spices. Had an ale aftertaste. Was disappointed that I couldn't detect any flavours of pumpkin or spices, as expected! Just a light beer without spice/pumpkin character.

2.4/5  rDev -32%

Reviewed this alongside DFH's Punkin and Wolaver's Pumpkin Ale.

The beer pours a pale, clear, orange color with a thin head that manages to maintain throughout the drinking of the beer, but no lacing is apparent.

The aroma greats my nose with the smell of pumpkin, squash and cinnamon. Alongside some malt aroma there is also a slightly sour smell.

The taste is at first peppery, citrus like and then somewhat sour. There is a pumpkin/squash flavor that lingers in the background, but it is lost by the citrus/sour flavor and too much prickly carbonation.

The mouthfeel is over-carbonated and prickly. Kind of like seltzer water. I would only want one of these at most. Overall, there is some pumpkin flavor, but it is lost by over-carbonation and a strong citrus/sour presence. Not an overly enjoyable brew. There are much better out there. From my tasting tonight, I would recommend both the Wolaver's and DFH over this.

2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

Pumpkin ale eh? Alright, I'll bite. Pours a nice amber/orange with a quickly dissapating head. Spicy aroma, with cinammon and nutmeg. Mouthful was thinner than expected. Taste was more c&n spices. Admittedly I've never eaten pumpkin before, as the thought for whatever reason repulsed me, so I can't say whether it's pumpkin I'm tasting. Inoffensive, but I was unable to finish it. Open wide, drain..

2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

A - light golden with an amber tint

S - strong pumpkin flavor, very sweet.

M - light, heavier in the front.

T - Flavor comes in sweet and strong but quickly disspates into a low bitterness.

D - Too bitter for me to be a session. Not enough pumpkin to get me through it.

It's an approachable pumpkin beer with strong malt characteristics and hints of pumpkin and spice. It was not enjoyable for me as I found the malt characteristics imbalanced. When I drink a pumpkin ale I want it to slap me in the face. With Post Road I find myself searching for the pumpkin and forgetting about the spice.

2.42/5  rDev -31.4%

Poured into a pint glass, looks like a pumpkin ale (pumpkin pie) with slightly more orange tint and less head, no lacing. Smells well-spiced, almost like a mulling bouquet. With that, there are hints of sweetness that remind me of anise and roasted pumpkin.

Tastes sour, though. Maybe that's how fermented pumpkins go, but it tastes like someone boiled squash, took the juice and let it spoil before adding it. There is some spice and bitterness, but the carbonation is so sharp and peppery at the beginning of a sip that you have to strain to find them. Faint malt aftertaste intermingled with the same squashy sourness.

Mouthfeel would be good except for the tastebud-slaying carbonation. Medium-bodied with a watery finish. Can do better for drinkability. Overall, I've had better pumpkin ales but can appreciate this as some nostalgic version of 18th century seasonal brewing.

2.45/5  rDev -30.6%

This pumpkin ale pours a cloudy, deep orange/copper with a fairly creamy, thick off-white head that holds pretty well and leaves some nice lacey walls.

Subtle but well pronounced, the aroma is of toasted malt and spice: nutmeg, cinnamon. There is some pumpkin in there, but in small doses. A dull yeastiness is also present.

Not much pumpkin at all. Rather sharp and yeasty with some acidity. A bit of metallic flavor and spice in the middle with a watery dullness that is not particularly appetizing. Weak for sure in the flavor department.

High carbonation makes for a very crisp and clean mouthfeel, but overall it’s very lacking. A matted yeastiness sticks on the tongue and concludes a moderately bad beer experience. I would suggest reaching for just about any other pumpkin selection this season.

Post Road Pumpkin Ale from Brooklyn Brewery