Post Road Pumpkin Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Early American colonialists, seeking natural ingredients for brewing ales, turned to pumpkins, which were plentiful, flavorful and nutritious. Blended with barley malt, pumpkins became a commonly used beer ingredient. Post Road Pumpkin Ale brings back this tasty tradition. Hundreds of pounds of pumpkins are blended into the mash of each batch, creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, biscuity malt center, and crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Post Road Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
Stephen63

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Appropriately orange/copper colour, almost glowing. Reasonable head that lasted although quite thin.

S - Very spicy and, for me, dominated by cloves. Visions of mulled wine came into my mind. Interesting.

T - Intense hoppy flavour takes over from the spices which are pushed to the background. Was expecting something a bit sweeter.

M - Good level of carbonation, smooth.

D - Pleasant enough but definitely a one-off beer.

A interesting Halloween beer, but once a year is probably about right for this one.

10-27-2007 21:13:17 | More by Stephen63
DrainBamage

3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a clear dark orange color with a nice head. Smell is mild, but pleasant with nutmeg and all-spice aromas. Taste has a real pumpkin flavor to it and quite dominating, but with a little citrus flavor too. In the mouthfeel you get high carbonation and bitterness. The flavor sticks around in your mouth for a while, but instead necessarily a bad thing. This is the first time having this beer and is pleased for the most part and is something look forward to in the fall.

10-23-2007 07:14:11 | More by DrainBamage
GRPunk

3.48/5  rDev +0.3%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A- It poured a hazy orange color with a thin off-white head that turned to a light lacing. It had medium carbonation and left some good sticking to the side of the glass.

S- It had a less pronounced pie scent than some of the other pumpkin beers. It was still mostly sweet and spicy with some caramel tones mixed with cloves and nutmeg. There was also a vegetal aroma that I imagine is the actual pumpkin used in this brew.

T- The flavor was mostly pumpkin pie spices, some sweet malt flavor, and more of the vegetal tones. It had a dry finish.

M- It actually seemed a little foamy. There was also a slight sting on the tongue.

D- It wasn't too overpowering to have more than one.

Overall- A decent fall beer. It's not something I'd seek out, but something I'd definitely drink again. I'm sure it will find its way into a mixed sixer of pumpkin beers again next fall.

10-22-2007 22:29:09 | More by GRPunk
marcpal

3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Thought this beer was very good, bought as part of a sample pack. LIked the fact that it was not overpowering.

A: Orange hue with small head.

S: A very slight smell of roasted pumpkins but you can tell immediately there was not an overkill of pumpkin pie spices and cloves/nutmeg.

T: Again, not strong- which to me was a very good thing. The roasted pumpkin was very subtle and almost chewy. Compared to other pumpkin beers, I would position this one as the pumpkin bread comparison to others which are more pumpkin pie.

M: Chewy texture with good amount of carbonation matching the taste.

D: Wouldve like to had a few of these given that they were keeping away from overdoing the sweetness.

10-20-2007 17:01:52 | More by marcpal
Ranic

2.6/5  rDev -25.1%

I had this on tap at The Gingerman in NYC.

I gotta say, I love pumpkin ales, but this one didn't really impress me at all. It has a very nice amber color, and it smells spicy, but when I tasted it, I didn't really get much pumpkin out of it. The focus seemed to be on the spices, rather than the pumpkin itself.

I probably wouldn't order this again if there are other pumpkin ales to choose from.

10-19-2007 03:58:12 | More by Ranic
atigerlife

Hawaii

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at the Brooklyn Brewery.

Pours a nice orange/golden color. Hazy. Small white head with decent carbonation.

Aroma is quite subtle with some pumpkin, spices and malts.

Taste is of light pumpkin, sweet, malt and some grainy smell I couldn't quite place.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and cleansing. Med/Light body.

Overall, very refreshing and better than expecting. Very sessionable.

10-18-2007 00:00:12 | More by atigerlife
BDIMike

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

Post Road is probably the least favorite of any Pumpkin Ale I have ever had. It has a great appearance, however it has a smell with no hint of pumpkin. It definitely comes through in the taste as I couldn't sense even a slight taste of pumpkin. I am surprised they can even call this a pumpkin beer.

10-17-2007 02:38:01 | More by BDIMike
letsgopens

2.4/5  rDev -30.8%

This pumpkin ale pours a cloudy, deep orange/copper with a fairly creamy, thick off-white head that holds pretty well and leaves some nice lacey walls.

Subtle but well pronounced, the aroma is of toasted malt and spice: nutmeg, cinnamon. There is some pumpkin in there, but in small doses. A dull yeastiness is also present.

Not much pumpkin at all. Rather sharp and yeasty with some acidity. A bit of metallic flavor and spice in the middle with a watery dullness that is not particularly appetizing. Weak for sure in the flavor department.

High carbonation makes for a very crisp and clean mouthfeel, but overall it’s very lacking. A matted yeastiness sticks on the tongue and concludes a moderately bad beer experience. I would suggest reaching for just about any other pumpkin selection this season.

10-16-2007 21:48:45 | More by letsgopens
pitweasel

3.2/5  rDev -7.8%

I finally decided to try some pumpkin ales this year, and this one turned out to be my least favorite. Post Road Pumpkin looks good and smells good, but the taste left a bit to be desired. There are subtle hints of pumpkin buried deep in the brew when it first hits your tongue, but it quickly gets trampled by an overwhelming amount of spices. That's not to say that it tastes bad, but I was disappointed that the fruit (if that's what pumpkin is, anyway) was almost completely lost in the mix.

If you're looking for a spicy, slightly bitter beer, this is the pumpkin for you. If something a little smoother with a more pronounced pumpkin flavor is what you seek, I'd recommend giving the Saranac Pumpkin Ale a try.

10-16-2007 14:58:10 | More by pitweasel
BeerSox

3.05/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Comes out slightly hazy with a very thin off white head that settles to almost nothing. A bits of lace here and there result from the head, but that's it. Nothing spectacular about the sight of this beer. The hue is a slightly orange-tinted amber hue, as usual for this style.

The aroma is very malty, with less spice and pumpkin than I expected. It reminded me of an Oktoberfest with a bit of spice, more than a Pumpkin Ale. Nevertheless, nothing really smells wrong with this one, just a little different, which at times can be a good thing, depending on the person.

The pumpkin comes out a little more in the flavors, with the spices only making an appearance at the end. A light-caramel flavor shows up from the malts. In the middle is a bit of a creamy characteristic that adds to the complexity a little. Most of the hop flavor is hidden, maybe showing a little when the other flavors have faded. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. The progression of the flavor is interesting, and the smoother qualities such as the maltiness and the creaminess show up first, then transition to a spicier quality at the end. The finish is mostly the remainders of whatever spices decided to show up.

Not the best, but certainly not the worst. This one could use a little more pumpkin flavor. As of now, thansk at least to the spices, it seems more like a dull and watery Winter Warmer. It's worth a try, someone should at least find this one to their tastes.

10-14-2007 00:35:42 | More by BeerSox
JayQue

2.33/5  rDev -32.9%

My first pumpkin ale...hope it was last years batch....this was not good; Looked ok. Orange amber color, decent light tan head, some lacing. Smell had some kind of pumpkin spice, fairly mild. Taste was not good, skunky cabbagy taste with a soapy aftertaste. Mouthfeel a bit thin. Drinkability not good at all. All things being equal I would take a Bud over this one hands down. I want to try a few more pumpkin ales and see if I have a prejudice against the style or if a guaranteed fresh one purchased in the fall makes a difference.

10-14-2007 00:17:23 | More by JayQue
armock

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured a orange color with off white head that leaves some lacing. Smell is of spices. Taste is of spices and some pumpkin pretty good. Good bit of carbonation but still smooth. Its a good brew good taste I would probably get it again its worth trying sometime.

10-13-2007 04:53:39 | More by armock
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.08/5  rDev +17.6%

A – Poured a very nice hazy orange amber with a nice two inch or so of white frothy foam on the top. Settled gradually down into a nice thin layer across the top with a good amount of residual side glass lace left in its wake as it headed on down. Some good carbonation could be seen in the glass moving and wriggling its way towards the top and replenishing the head consistently along the way.

S – Lots of spice here and I mean a lot. This was very full bodied in the aroma with lots of pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon, some spiced apple, and even what I swore was a touch of gingerbread in the back. A decent yeast presence could be detected for whatever reason and there was definitely a grain held back to it. Some fresh earthy tones were also apparent as it warmed, but hands down this was spiced ale and you could really tell it was from the first whiff.

T – Taste was fantastic. Very full flavor and a ton of hidden little nuances that continued to pop up and show themselves the more you tried to look into it. There was a ton of cinnamon off the top with some nice apple flavors and a touch of the pumpkin spice flavor that I picked up in the aroma. A very nice grain like base really helped to push it forward. The flavor overall was nice and light even though there were a ton of flavors represented. A decent albeit spiced and somewhat muted hopped back was present and served to dry out the finish some. Overall though the flavor was really great and light enough that I kept coming back for more.

M – Very light and crisp even. A great amount of carbonation came through from the very beginning and never really let up, leaving you sure that this was a very fine brew. Great feel from the first sip to the last with an equally great finish to it. This was one of the better brews I have had with this feel and it really shined here. Just full enough to make you think, but at the same time light enough to make it pretty much sessionable. Just a very enjoyable experience overall.

D – Simply outstanding. It was the first crisp cool night of autumn in these parts and this was perfect for it. Not much ABV, and a crisp light feel, combined with the warming of the spices, made for something really nice. I was actually not happy that I had only picked up one of these, and I am going to have to go back to get some more very soon. A sixer of this seems just about right and would make for a nice present to bring for dinner.

Overall I was more then impressed, I thought this was wonderful. This was my second pumpkin in a row that came off just really great. I am really beginning to get a handle on the style and really actually developing a liking for it. This seems like the perfect mix for a fall night and really something I would like to try on tap. I can see now why people wait for this to come out every year, really a fantastic brew and an excellent choice hands down.

10-13-2007 01:56:11 | More by mikesgroove
sawbones420

4.65/5  rDev +34%

Lotsa pumpky beers out there. This is my favorite, but then again, I'm a complete slut for Brooklyn Brewery. I used to be devoted to Dogfish Head's take on the style, but I've unofficially been boycotting their beers since I noticed they all taste slightly less good year after year. Plus they charge too much, and Punkin' gives me brutal hangovers.

The Look:
6pk of 12 oz bottles - Into a snifter (hey, why not?), this pours a deep orange hue, almost amber. No head, but what are you expecting with a pumpkin beer?

Sniff, sniff:
Smells like... pumpkin. There is a definite pumpkin spice/nutmeg/cinnamon thing going on there, but in my opinion, clean pumpkin predominates in the nose, trumping all that other junk.

Mouthfeel/Flavor
First sip, too cold.

15 minutes later....

ooOoOoOOoo. Yeah. This is what I want in a pumpkin beer. Not too much spice, although a very nice blend that hits you right in the middle of the tongue. Definitely a pumpkin presence going on here. This beer, like all other pumpky offerings, has a "flatness" to it. This is tough to describe, but let's just say there's a focus on flavor moreso than complex beeriness. Smutty's tastes like pie, Dogfish's taste like spice, Southern Tier's tastes like an entire spice rack... Brooklyn's tastes like pumpkin (my style). This one just gets better the longer you let it sit. Not to be consumed at fridge temperature...

At 5%, this is super-drinkable. Of all the different pumpkin offerings, this is the only one I can easily enjoy more than two of. The spice doesn't crawl up your face and take a dump into your sinuses. It's just downright pleasant and pumpkiny, yet doesn't let you forget you're drinking beer (unlike many of it's competitors). You just don't mess with Brooklyn Brewery. They know what they're doing.

10-12-2007 04:24:33 | More by sawbones420
Biscuit033

3.4/5  rDev -2%

A: Clear orange with minimal head and lacing.

S: Clove and all spice. Iwould have liked a little nutmeg.

T: Same as smell but you can taste some pumpkin and a little bit of hops.

M: Light-bodied. I would have like a more creamy feel.

D: One or two of these per season isn't bad but I would like one that is a touch sweeter and with a bit more alcohol to make it feel more seasonal.

10-12-2007 01:44:40 | More by Biscuit033
Applesauce1

4.22/5  rDev +21.6%

I picked this up at the Pit Stop in Nelsonville, OH. This is my first pumpkin beer of 2007. I'll see how the Post Road treats me.

Appearance: copper color with a 3/4" white head on the pour; looks like a quality ale
Smell: pumpkin pie spices dominate
Taste: spicy, very good; pumpkin pie spices and some hoppiness; this beer has more of a hop presence than most pumpkin ales i remember from previous years
Mouthfeel: medium bodied (i thought itd be somewhat watered down at 5%, but this has good feel)
Drinkability: 2 in a night would be good

I'm impressed with this ale. I'd like to try it on tap sometime.

10-11-2007 02:59:32 | More by Applesauce1
msolar

3.73/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance - Rich, golden orange in color. Pours a nice, small head.

Smell – Like cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin. Very apparent but not overwhelming.

Taste – Just as it smells.

Mouthfeel – Crisp, a bit tangy on the tongue. Not overly carbonated. Feels a bit light.

Drinkability – Good. It’s not too sweet but has an evident taste of ‘fall’.

Good beer. I’d suggest Sam Adam’s fall brew if you’re looking for a bit more spice. I believe Serenac was a bit lighter, but I haven’t had it this year and could be completely mistaken – I just recall it being my favorite last year. Not my first time to purchase it, and certainly not my last. One of these days I’ll purchase all the Pumpkin beers I can find and do a taste off…

10-11-2007 00:44:20 | More by msolar
iceball585

4.43/5  rDev +27.7%

A- Clear brownish copper color, 1/2 finger thick head that lasted well throughout

S- Strong smell of pumplin, spices, brown sugar

T- Pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, cloves, malts, ginger, sweet, creamy

M- Crisp, medium weight, medium/heavy carbonation, still smooth feel

D- One of the best pumpkin ales that I've had

Really great all around. Good appearance, good auroma, good taste... good all around. What else could you ask for in a pumpkin ale.

10-11-2007 00:02:23 | More by iceball585
PhageLab

3.6/5  rDev +3.7%

Single 12oz bottle purchased from Total Wine&More.

A - Not much surprise here, deep orange color, 1/4 inch head with nice retention.

S - Spices and pumpkin aroma are present and quite enjoyable!

T - One of the better pumpkin ales I've had I must say. It actually tastes like pumpkin and not apple cider! The spices fade in and out, and are not overpowering by any means.

M - The downfall of the brew I must say. Too light of a feel and the carbonation is a bit too much.

D - I could easily have another, and would enjoy trying this brew again, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. Definitely worth a try though!

10-09-2007 02:23:39 | More by PhageLab
Georgiabeer

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +14.7%

I don't like this quite as much as DFH's version, but it is still a standard for me in the fall- and it is cheaper. Pours orange with a thin and wispy head. Smell is of nice pumpkin pie spice and silky pumpkin. Well balanced, and with some late maltiness. Taste is similar, but less spicy than the aroma and more of a straight pumpkin taste. A little thin and slippery up front, the spice comes into play more on the finish. Smooth drinking tasty fall beverage.

10-06-2007 18:12:27 | More by Georgiabeer
erosier

Connecticut

4.13/5  rDev +19%

This beer is a savory fall brew. It has a very good aroma that captures you as soon as you open the bottle. The aroma is that of a fresh pumpkin pie, which makes it the perfect fall beer. The strong tones of nutmeg make this pumpkin beer a winner. It has a very good mouthfeel - smooth, perfectly carbonated for it's gravity, and very flavorful. Certainly no enemy of flavor. One of the best pumpkin ales out there.

10-04-2007 13:44:01 | More by erosier
Gambrinus1184

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev +11%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a tulip-shaped Duvel glass.

A: Pours a very clean-looking ruby orange. A dense foam head billowed up, but reduced to a thin lace within a minute or so. Looks like a pumpkin in this particular glass.

S: Smell is of pumpkin, but the spiciness seems to be muted by some malts and a hint of floral hops. Don't know why I'm getting that in my pumpkin ale, but it's a pleasant surprise.

T: Tastes like a pumpkin with some cinnamon and nutmeg thrown in. What caught me off guard was the bittersweetness of the malt and the slight hop bite on the back of the palate. Interesting.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and light bodied, but nice and smooth, not too carbonated to keep sipping on.

D: Drinkability on this ale is quite high. The modest ABV, good flavor, and reliable nature of Brooklyn would make this a definite fall session and future pickup.

Overall, I was pleased with this pumpkin ale. Not quite the best in the style I've had, but better than most. Nice job again for Brooklyn.

10-04-2007 03:09:59 | More by Gambrinus1184
PBRstreetgang

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a crystal clear golden copper with an extra pale cream colored two and a half finger head. Good retention and patchy lacing. Two-row and vegetal/squash aromas, with cinnamon, allspice and a hint of ginger in the background. Plain pale malt and husky flavors upfront, followed by a distant pumpkin core taste. The aftertaste is drying, with cinnamon, allspice and ginger slowly emerging bringing a about a faint woody hop flavor and bitterness. I like a more residual sweet and toasty malt profile in my pumpkin beers; but this leans heavily towards crisp and dry. The body is a thinnish-medium with a mid to high carbonation that further lightens the mouthfeel. Finish shows mellow pumpkin pie spices and faintly perceivable pumpkin flesh and pale malt. This is a softer and more approachable Pumpkin ale than average and may seem unbalanced to someone looking for a malty ale with lots of pumpkin character. But it may also appeal to someone that desire a beer with just a pumpkin & spice accent that holds a high drinkability.

09-29-2007 06:53:08 | More by PBRstreetgang
Rainintheface

2.9/5  rDev -16.4%

12oz bottle poured into Sam Adams glass. My Pumpkin ale quest continues..

A: orangy amber with 2 finger white head and medium carbonation

S: light cinnamon, spices. not much happening

T: again nothing much. spices a little pumpkin pie flavor

M: a little light bodied for my pumpkin ale likes. slight spicy aftertaste. o.k. carbonation

D: easy enough to drink. I could have a few no problem but I would go elsewhere for my pumpkin ales

After the good looks in my glass it was pretty much downhill from there.

09-22-2007 16:33:39 | More by Rainintheface
yelterdow

4.35/5  rDev +25.4%

Review #400. Bottled on July 31, 2007 and served in a Spaten Oktoberfest nonic at just over fridge temperature.

Appearance- Orange-amber in color, this beauty pours clearly and with a remarkable 3-4 finger head that shows amazing endurance. Several minutes after the pour, the crown is still fat... terrific patchy lacing is left behind. Awesome.

Smell- At first, the bold pumpkin nose combines with a snappy hop aroma... then with some swirling and gradual warming the spices begin to come forth. Damn this keeps getting better... the malts are clean and bready, very complex and rich for a pumpkin ale.

Taste- Bready and biscuity in the middle, this has a unique balance of all ingredients... the spices are quite dynamic and fall just short of being too strong. I *love* the finish, which combines the hop dryness and bittering with a doughy, bready character.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Alive and prickly, not totally elegant but better than average. It pushes the spices and pumpkin flavors around enough to get all the nuances. Great drinkability, again the hops rule here... between the bone dry finish and the bitterness left behind, I can't wait to grab another sip. Terrific beer this Fall season.

09-19-2007 03:09:32 | More by yelterdow