Post Road Pumpkin Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Early American colonialists, seeking natural ingredients for brewing ales, turned to pumpkins, which were plentiful, flavorful and nutritious. Blended with barley malt, pumpkins became a commonly used beer ingredient. Post Road Pumpkin Ale brings back this tasty tradition. Hundreds of pounds of pumpkins are blended into the mash of each batch, creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, biscuity malt center, and crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Post Road Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.65/5  rDev +5.2%

12-ounce bottle poured into a pint willi glass yields a orange-copper body capped with a finger of fine-bubbled off-white foam. The head retains at a sheet and leaves sparse lacing on the glass.

Aromas of nutmeg and orange zest jump out of the glass at me as a bit of malty pumpkin languishes in the background.

The taste of the drink is fresh, toasty, and just a bit pumpkiny with plenty of cinnamon to tingle on the tongue. A mineral character makes my mouth water a bit, and plenty of fresh nutmeg rules in the aftertaste. A bit of black tea-like astringency emerges as the drink progresses.

The drink is smooth and palatable with nice drinkability. Pleasantly spicy and earthy, but not very punkinny.

cvstrickland, Aug 29, 2008
2.8/5  rDev -19.3%

08/28/2008

A: Pours a medium amber/straw color that produces a tiny head that leaves no lace

S: The nose is very spicy; nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and pumpkin...also available are malts and hops

T: Spicy! Pumpkin is a little less available than the nose suggested. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices are dominant

MF: Very carbonated, good finish, light in body (which disappointed me)

D: Decent, but not great

If you think this beer is good, try Dogfish head Punkin' Ale!

09/28/2009

Spotted this bottle at Tiger Qwikmart in Clemson, SC for about $1.69 and felt I was in the mood for one.

A: Pours a transparent amber/orange color that creates a thick but airy white cap. Retention is not the best, but ok with me. What worries me is the mass amounts of little bubbles rising from the bottom, which tells me the mouthfeel might be a little over carbonated, but we'll see!

S: The actual ingredients and notes in the nose are perfect, however they are really subdued and appear to be watered down. Pumpkin puree, cinnamon, lots of nutmeg, maybe a pinch of ginger and a slight twangy metallic note. If these ingredients were more pronounced, this would be a nice one!

T: Same exact thing as the nose...Very subdued and subtle, watered down as well. Although a slight delicious note of pie crust is evident and really makes me mad that all this potential was wasted. Not very pronounced, but not necessarily bad.

MF/D: So I was correct about the carbonation, light in body, short cinnamon/nutmeg finish.

Overall, I've definitely had better (DFH/Southern Tier/Weyerbacher)...Not too good here.

scottyshades, Aug 28, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Golden orange body, full off-white two-finger head, more lacing than I would expect from a pumpkin ale.

Smell and taste are very similar. Decent pumpkin presence, without being artificial. Nicely spiced, with cloves, nutmeg and lingering cinnamon being the most noticeable; just a touch too much nutmeg. Possible hint of vanilla. Earthy hop character. Some caramel malty sweetness. A little spicy bite on the finish. Decent level of carbonation, but I would prefer just a touch less.

Solid pumpkin ale.

NCBeernut, Aug 27, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a crystal clear orange-copper color with a two finger off-white head that leaves some big spots of lace.

Aroma is mild and vaguely spicy. Perhaps some nutmeg and cloves.

Taste is interesting. Lots of pumpkin flavor and pie spices as in the aroma with a clovey character dominating. A bit of tanginess on the finish and the slightest amount of earthy hops.

Mouthfeel is medium, nice carbonation makes it a good crisp drinker.

This was my first attempt at a Pumpkin Ale and while it's not outstanding I certainly found it to be intriguing. It seems like the type of beer that would be best suited for a crisp autumn evening. I'm looking forward to trying some other examples from this style in the coming months.

roadhouse, Aug 25, 2008

I liked this beer, it was solid. Good all around.

This is my first year getting into Oktoberfests and Pumkin Ales. I've gotten around to quite a few already, but this one is different from the rest. The spices are amazing. There is a lot going on.. Not to bitter to burn the tongue, just right. Followed by a smooth aftertaste. The finish is great, very crisp. And taste of pumpkin spices stayed on my tongue. I would of have one or two more. Try it.

nrpellegrini, Aug 21, 2008
2.55/5  rDev -26.5%

Tons of tan head on this brew after I pour it into my glass. Great retention too, and decent lacing. Orange/amber color. Floral hops in the aroma and hints of spice. Flavors however are weak. Nutmeg, subtle pumpkin in the middle with an unusual finish. Semi-dry and a little bitter but not in a balanced way. Light in the mouth, a little watery, needs gumption. A good theory but a rather poor execution.

thekevlarkid, Aug 19, 2008
3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

I found this beer to be better than average. While it did have a nice deep color I thought it had a little too much cinnamon/nutmeg flavor (somewhat over powering). Still better than many of the other pumpkin flavored beers on the market. You could probably drink a couple, but that's it.

jsouza, Aug 16, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +27.7%

Used to live in a town along the Post Road in CT. Loved the place. Wonderful time of year for us pumpkin lovers. I you like the style, you'll love this version. Deep brown in the glass, with a nice head and a soft carbonation. Spice (nutmeg, clove, cinnamon) in the nose. Taste is malt and spice, with a hint of pumpkin and a nice hops balance. Slightly bitter aftertaste makes it very drinkable. I noted on the label that the beer is brewed in Utica (a la Matt/Saranac and others). Great beer town.

tugdriver7, Aug 15, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

A: Poured a darker orange with a good 2 finger head. Didn't last too long.

S: Strong nutmeg smell with a hint of cinnamon, clove, and pumpkin.

T: Balanced flavor of pumpkin and nutmeg with a hint of caramel. Not too malty.

M: Crisp and somewhat refreshing.

D: I think I could drink a couple and not be tired of it. Not too many though.

It's overall a pretty good pumpkin brew. Dogfish Head Punkin" is still my favorite, followed by Ichabod. I'd get this again.

lastdoctor, Aug 14, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The temperature is dropping and the fall seasonals have been popping up. Pumpkin Ales are meant to be enjoyed this time of year and this is a rather good offering. Nice full pumpkin aroma with spicy hints of clove and cinnamon. Golden dark copper color with a huge creamy head that ultimately settles and leaves some decent lacing. Mouthfeel is good and crisp, wish it were a bit thicker and creamier though. Flavor has a nice balance, the pumpkin is easily detected but not overdone. Good spiciness of clove, nutmeg, and cinnamon. The aftertaste lingers for a while giving a nice sweet finish. Out of the ordinary and well done I'm sure there are better out there but this one still hits the mark.

kinger, Aug 12, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

When poured into a pint glass my first reaction was "That's what a beer should look like!" A dark orange with a everlasting 2 finger head.

The smell didn't reveal what lay ahead, mild cinnamon and nutmeg aromas were present between inhales. First sip was sublime spice was right on, pumpkin made it substantial.

A prime example of the style will give the Smuttynose and DFH pumpkins a run for their money when they are released!

GC

gcarl, Aug 12, 2008
3.25/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Poured a bright amber-orange with a modest 2 finger off white head that quickly faded. Visible carbonation was moderate.

S: a deep caramel malting, fresh pumpkins and a decent spicing of nutmeg and cinnamon.

T: a good fresh pumpkin flavor and light sweet caramel malting with some spicy apples and toffee. There was some brown sugar notes as well.

M: very crisp and warming, malty with a light sweetness.

D: Decent drinkability for what it is.

beerthulhu, Aug 03, 2008
3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

appearance: orangish brown, light foam that dissipates quickly

smell: spicy, buttery, cinnamin

taste: it's full and sweet. a bit sour and spicy around the edges of the mouth. The flavor is so different for me that I have a hard time getting excited about it

mouthfeel: starts out full, then becomes astringent and fades to watery. just a bit oily at the end. I don't know if this is stylistically appropriate but I didn't really care for it.

drinkability: I am just not big on the flavor or the mouthfeel which means that I can finish one of these but I am not wanting to have another one.

note: I am trying not to be harsh to this beer because I'm 1) not familiar with the style and don't know if this is how it should taste or not. Also I don't know if I like this style yet.

Donnie2112, May 12, 2008
3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

I got this from genog as a Beer Powerball gift!

I'll admit I wondered if pumpkin beer would be okay in May but it is surprisingly good.

Smells all cinnamony, spicy and sweet. Has a white head with lots of lacing. Looks good, smells good...tastes good, too! Taste is rather sweet with loads of cinnamon and maybe a little clove. Nice bit of bitter hops to balance it out as well. This is really a very good beer. Much nicer than I was expecting.

babyhobbes, May 10, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +12.4%

The color of Amber orange. Nice decent head,settles quickly.
The aroma of spices,pumpkin,coriander and cloves. The taste of spicy pumpkin and malts. Caramel tones and sweetness that seem well balanced. The hops are light and overall the taste is just right. The feel is smooth,medium carbonation and a bit spicy on the tongue.

Notes: As this style goes,many fail and I can not say I have had many good tasting pumpkin beers. This one was good. I can say this is more of a seasonal beer so I try to enjoy it during the holiday season. I can find it now,but I refrain.

Lexluthor33, Apr 26, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured into my pint glass and received a seethru light, rubyred body with a creamy one-fingered head that receeded quickly and left little lacings. Pumpkin hit my nose first, natch, then some grassy hops and spices like pepper. Also picked up some yeast/sugar in there because I picked up faint traces of bubblegum. Cinnamon and bread malt come through in the taste, but it is more hoppy/bitter than smooth. Still, a medium body with the hops giving off light citric twinges. Caramel and maybe roasted malt mixed in too. Ultimately, just a little too much carbonation for my liking, as the beer was too sharp to be completely quaffable. Not a bad beer, but I will not buy another one.

clayrock81, Apr 01, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -28.5%

Thanks to miketd for this bonused beer from my want list-
Light clear orange pour with a large offwhite head. Mild pumpkin spice smell, perhaps a bit less so than average. Body is watery, thin and flavorwise is probably the blandest pumpkin beer I've had. Very low carbonation as well adds to the lifelessness of it. Not offensively flavored at all, just a poor pumpkin beer, I thought.

JDV, Mar 01, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +13.8%

Clear, amber/orange with a fine, off-white cap. Decent head retention saw the foam eventually forming a thick collar and producing some spotty lace. Pie spices in the aroma, cloves, a bit of squash and marshmallow, perfumy nutmeg. Same in the flavour, with light hop bitterness, some toasty malt for balance, with spices lingering in the finish. Medium/light bodied with average carbonation, fair texture. I liked the balance on this one, not over the top with spices. Tasty.

DrJay, Jan 18, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -35.2%

Deep amber with orange hints - topped by a thin off-white head. Aroma has some caramel and a hint of pumpkin pie spice, but not much. Taste is fairly flat and astringent. Minimal notes from pumpkin. More woody than spice of any type. mouthfeel is also dry and thin. Drinkability- it's drinkable, but not enjoyable.

aaronh, Jan 04, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a fully clouded orange brown. No head in my Duvel tulip. Nose is very mild pumpkin pie with spices. Flavor is actually pretty decent. So many of these pumpkin ales are disasters. This one comes off fairly well. Nice balance of spices that don't under-do it and don't overdo it. Feel has a good carbonation to it and the liquid is decent as well. Overall a pretty good pumpkin ale here. Can't say I would go for it again as I just don't really care for this style, but you might as well give it a shot at least once.

RblWthACoz, Jan 01, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -3.5%

Pale copper/orange color with a pretty big off-white head that settles down to a fuzzy film with decent lacing. The aroma is sweet cinnamon/nutmeg and pumpkin with some bitter grass. The flavor comes on a bit more bitter than the sweet smell but it holds onto a tastey pumpkin/nutmeg quality. Well carbonated and generally a good feel, on the fizzy side as others have mentioned. Pretty refreshing, goes down easy but the bitterness and pumpkin flavor may not invite over indulgence here. It definitely puts a little bite on your tongue along the line of a grainy hop. I think it is both different and likeable but I would not be inclined to have more than one of these at a time I think. It's not stupendous, even as a pumpkin ale, but I must admit that I've only had one pumpkin ale that I really liked a lot. I would definitely drink this again, especially since I have a six pack with five left! Not bad at all though.

Durge, Dec 17, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +20.5%

Bought a 6-pack of this for Halloween, had a few bottles sit around through Thanksgiving. This last one I picked out of the fridge to have with a slice of leftover pumpkin pie last week, and finally today I dug out my tasting notes.

Poured copper orange into a pint glass with a half inch of cream white head. The aroma was of a cold slice of pumpkin pie. Nutmeg, ginger, allspice. The taste was of a well spiced pumpkin pie. Nutty, spicey, and of pumpkin. It was well-balanced. Most of the pumpkin ales I've had this year have either been overspiced or underspiced, and it was nice to have a balanced one for a change. The feel was fizzy and creamy. Some reviewers have said that it was overcarbonated, but I feel the high fizziness gives it a better texture. One of the better pumpkin ales I've had this year, and one I look forward to having again next year.

Jp7010, Dec 06, 2007
3.18/5  rDev -8.4%

appearance - Orange color with a offwhite head that put out some lace on the glass.

smell - Sweet smells, nutmeg, and spices here.

taste - Taste of pumpkin spices here but with some odd taste at the end too.

mouthfeel - Medium body.

drinkability - I wasn't too fond of it. Not something I would try again. I like fruit beers, so thought I would like this. It just wasn't for me. Tasted very odd to me.

auxiliary, Nov 29, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle

Appearance: Deep orangey amber color. 2 fingers white head, settles slowly. Highly carbonated. Very nice lacing clinging to entire height of the glass.

Smell: Noticable but not overpowering pumkin spices.

Taste: Pumkin pie spiciness, again not overpowering. Some bitterness towards the back of the tounge. My only request is I would like some more pumpkin spice flavor. If I'm buying something for a specificly unique taste, like pumkin spice, I want plenty of that flavor.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated giving it a crisp feel. Medium body.

Drinkability: I did like the contrast between the sweet pumkin taste and the slightly bitter finish. I would have it again. A quality beer from Brooklyn.

Jerzdevil1116, Nov 28, 2007
3.45/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A-Coppery, orange, amber clear color. 1/2 inch head fell quick and left minimal lacing.

S-sweet pumkin spice, hint of actual pumkin, caramelized sugar. smells like pumkin brullee (is that how you spell it?)

T-sweet caramel, only a hint of spiciness, spiciness is must stronger in the nose. There is an odd medicianl bitterness (IDK-phenols?)

M-Light to med, fizzy caboantion

D-It's allright, not the best pumkin this year but passable. I have one more and will drink it for thanksgiving.

jackorain, Nov 21, 2007