Post Road Pumpkin Ale - Brooklyn Brewery

Brooklyn Brewery visit their website
New York, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

Early American colonialists, seeking natural ingredients for brewing ales, turned to pumpkins, which were plentiful, flavorful and nutritious. Blended with barley malt, pumpkins became a commonly used beer ingredient. Post Road Pumpkin Ale brings back this tasty tradition. Hundreds of pounds of pumpkins are blended into the mash of each batch, creating a beer with an orange amber color, warm pumpkin aroma, biscuity malt center, and crisp finish.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-09-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Post Road Pumpkin Ale Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

From a 12 oz bottle with no visible date into my Sam Adams glass (thanks, guys!), a gentle pour yields a thick, creamy off-white head atop a clear, bronze body. Head is rock solid and creamy, fed by plenty of precipitating carbonation. Head lasts about halfway through the glass and then fades to a solid cap and collar with medium lacing. Nose is slightly soapy and bready with light cloves and diacetyl. Tastes of diacetyl, dry bitter hiops, faint all-spice, and buttery bread along with a touch of artificial sweetener. Mout is a bit thin and watery with middle carbonation which is about right. Drinkability is decent yet unremarkable; smooth and mildly spiced though I wouldn't really want another.

Overall: A very average "pumpkin ale" which smells nice but tastes rather lackluster.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

12oz brown bottle.

I'm a Pumpkin Ale fan this time of year and this one doesn't disappoint. I'd have to say I like the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale much better, but this one comes in a solid second based on the ones I've tried so far.

My only caveat for this one was that by the end of the bottle my palate had "had enough" of the sweetness and I wanted another beer but not another one of these.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

A - Clear copper with a huge billowy head,

S - Pumpkin, some spice and lots of loral notes.

T - Fruity with a light bitter finish. Definitely a vegetal character but I'm not picking out any pumpkin per se or spice.

M - Dry, medium bodied and astringent.

D - It's OK, but not knocking my socks off. Pumpkins are more in the nose than the flavour.

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

Received in beer trade from work - drank with Palak Paneer.

This smells good but the taste is not one I enjoy - I don't really detect pumpkin at all - and the aftertaste is a bit unpleasant to me, bitter and makes my mouth dry.

Glad I tried it, but would not want another one.

2.58/5  rDev -25.2%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with 3 cm foamy, offwhite, slowly diminishing head. Aroma of pumpkin pie and nutmeg. Initial flavor of bread, very bland. Taste gets dry and kinda clovey. Moderate carbonation, moderate lacing, light body, and no alcohol noted. Overall, after the aroma, this beer is not very good. But it does smell awesome.

3.13/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured an amber/orange color, with a white head that left a little lacing. Aroma is pumpkin (not too strong) with some spices. Taste is not strong of pumpkin or spices almost watered down to me. Left a weird aftertatse. This is still a beer I would drink, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

3.48/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Deep, clear amber. A finger of very light tan head rises, with decent retention before settling to a thick film. Moderate lacing.

S - There's definite pumpkin going on, but very little backing spice. Vague hints of allspice and ginger are all I can pick up. I am glad to have the pumpkin component in the aroma though.

T - A very nutmeg/allspice/mace flavor hits from the beginning. There is some heavy, yet grainy malt to back up the slight vegetal flavor of the pumpkin, but the malt character is limited and restrained. Finish is full of above mentioned spices with a sharp, powdery bitterness.

M - Light to medium with moderate to high carbonation. No problems here.

D - I don't know if it's just pumpkin ales, or me, or a little bit of both, but a few sips of this is all I really need. I don't enjoy these pumpkin/pumpkin pie spice flavors without some appropriate sweetness and this brew is no exception. Not bad at all, but nothing I'd want a few of.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours clear amber with a big fluffy white head. Head stays all the way to the bottom of the glass and leaves behind plenty of sticky lace. Smells of big spice and slight cidery smell. Lots of nutmeg in there. Big pumpkin pie flavor. Slight toasted malt. Finishes with a little harsh bitterness...just a little. It is on the light side of medium with good drinkability. I like this beer. Far better then I thought it was going to be. I love pumpkin beers and this one is decent. I would probably reach for others first but with limited selection I wouldn't think twice about getting this one again.

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

Pours a light brownish orange in color. Decent inch of head on the pour that sticks around for awhile. Smell is spice and a good amount of pumpkin. Taste is even more of the pumpkin flavoring. Medium mouthfeel and easy drinking. Decent amount of pumpkin flavoring, but could use a bit more spice.

3.93/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured out a dark copper with a one-inch head despite a pretty heavy pour. Smelled of cinnamon and nutmeg almost immediately. Very prevalent. You also get hints of other herbs and earthy tones. Tastes very earthy. You can taste that cinnamon, nutmeg effect Brooklyn was going for, but no real presence of a sweet pumpkin flavor that I was looking for. This could almost be a brown ale if it weren't for the mildly sweet cinnamon and malt flavors. Overall, a good pumpkin ale - the right idea, but not exactly in-your-face with pumpkin flavor.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%

Post Road Pumpkin Ale. Here we go.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my pint glass. Perfect brew for the first sunday of football.

A- Light orange color with amber cues. Some soapy lacing and a half inch of white head. This appears to be a very carbonated brew.

S- Smell was really authentic. Smelled exactly like a fresh pumpkin pie. Less crust and grahm cracker than the other pumpkins, more on the spice and pumpkin puree.

T- Tasty. This one was very laden with spices. A ton of cinnamon and nutmeg, overtook the flavor of the fresh pumpkin. Some hop and malt, overly spicy though.

M- Felt my throat burning from the spices. Somewhat cloying. Still enjoyable.

D- Nice beer for a fall evening or a sunday football game. I am biased because I really enjoy pumpkin beers, but this one is pretty good.

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

last night i tried letting the bottle sit out for 20-30 minutes before opening, then drank slowly (and right out of the bottle) so as not to let the spices build up. this seems to be the right way to enjoy this one. wouldn't want more than one during a session, but could now see including in more sessions. upping taste back to 3.5 from 3.

just had again, had been kinda avoiding because i would look at the bottle and feel it was just too spiced and imbalanced, despite my initially favorable impressions. unfortunately, this is the case. the nutmeg and friends build up quickly and there isn't nearly enough going on elsewhere to offset them. at least without doctoring it up, not all that drinkable.

previously 4.5, 4, 3.5, 3.5, 3.5
color very appropriate, an orangish pumpkin pie. the head starts at two fingers and is made of fine bubbles. very good retention and pretty lacing.
smells a lot like a pumpkin pie. there seems to me nutmeg, cinnamon and pumpkin. not once did i imagine it might be a root beer, as i did with the weyerbacher. promising.
eaten with chinese food there seemed to be a lot of bitterness going on that detracted from the the flavors suggested by the aroma (though thankfully the pie flavors were still present). another bottle, downed without chinese food--the bitterness is still there but doesn't seem quite as pronounced as before, and seems largely of nutmeg origin. needs some more sweetness to offset...perhaps this can be added to the glass. i read someone uses maple syrup.
another bottle...added about a teaspoon of maple syrup: yep, that's the ticket!
mouthfeel is a bit on the thin side but acceptable. the quality carbonation suggested by the head and lacing is a plus.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

I love fall and all things associated with the season, especially pumpkin beer. With that said, I wanted to be especially careful with my judgment. It would be too easy to say that I loved it. I try to not be harsh on beers that are in a style that I do not like, so it makes sense to not go too easy on beers in the styles that I love. No freshness date. Poured into my Carlsberg pint glass.

A: This ale poured with two fingers of puffy, almond-colored head sitting on top of a beautiful crystal clear amber body. There was a moderate amount of carbonation. The head fades to one finger and leaves little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is mild, showcasing spicy pumpkin and gingersnap cookies. There are quite noticeable hop aromas in the background, followed by a caramel malt smell as the beer warms.

T: The taste is mild as well, with a pumpkin pie flavor capped by bitterness. Hops leave some impression in the mouth, a slight bitterness. More pumpkin in the warm aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with prickly carbonation. Leaves a warm sensation in the mouth. Very comforting...

D: I wanted more. I thought it was light and easy for a pumpkin ale, but I loved the flavor that it did have.

3.98/5  rDev +15.4%

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - orange/amber color with a white head that left some lacing.

S - spiced pumpkin bread aroma.

T - light pumpkin and spice flavors balanced out nicely with malts and hops.

F - light/medium bodied with a clean carbonation feel.

D - overall, one of the more drinkable pumpkin ales out there.

4.45/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I love the way this beer looks. Poured a nice soft amber hue, with a very good head that lasted a few minutes.

Smell (and flavor) are what this beer is all about, and this pumpkin ale does not disappoint in that category. What a spicy scent this beer puts off from the start. Pumpkin is obviously present, but other smells are there as well (perhaps nutmeg, apple and/or banana).

The flavor continues to satisfy. This is what autumn beer should taste like! Great flavor that lasts from start to finish; there is never a risk you'll fall short on pumpkin near the end of your glass.

Easy on the mouth, even with all that flavor. Can drink several of these in a session and enjoy each on its own. I look forward to this beer at the end of the summer each year. While I partly wish it was available 365 days per year, I enjoy it while it's around and each time it comes 'round again.

If you have not tried a pumpkin beer, you should begin here. Just know you're beginning with the best.

3.68/5  rDev +6.7%

A perfectly clear light orange with red tint. Head builds up really nice, though fades pretty fast. The smell is all those spices, as advertised. Get a lot of clove out of it. The beer is pretty sweet upon sipping, but finishes with a dry spiciness. The mouthfeel was pretty light and well carbonated. Overall it didn't seem to have a savory or bready quality I was hoping for. Seemed more like a lot of spices on a real thin backbone. I'm not running to the fridge for another bottle.

3.65/5  rDev +5.8%

12-ounce bottle poured into a pint willi glass yields a orange-copper body capped with a finger of fine-bubbled off-white foam. The head retains at a sheet and leaves sparse lacing on the glass.

Aromas of nutmeg and orange zest jump out of the glass at me as a bit of malty pumpkin languishes in the background.

The taste of the drink is fresh, toasty, and just a bit pumpkiny with plenty of cinnamon to tingle on the tongue. A mineral character makes my mouth water a bit, and plenty of fresh nutmeg rules in the aftertaste. A bit of black tea-like astringency emerges as the drink progresses.

The drink is smooth and palatable with nice drinkability. Pleasantly spicy and earthy, but not very punkinny.

2.8/5  rDev -18.8%

08/28/2008

A: Pours a medium amber/straw color that produces a tiny head that leaves no lace

S: The nose is very spicy; nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, and pumpkin...also available are malts and hops

T: Spicy! Pumpkin is a little less available than the nose suggested. Nutmeg, cinnamon, and other spices are dominant

MF: Very carbonated, good finish, light in body (which disappointed me)

D: Decent, but not great

If you think this beer is good, try Dogfish head Punkin' Ale!

09/28/2009

Spotted this bottle at Tiger Qwikmart in Clemson, SC for about $1.69 and felt I was in the mood for one.

A: Pours a transparent amber/orange color that creates a thick but airy white cap. Retention is not the best, but ok with me. What worries me is the mass amounts of little bubbles rising from the bottom, which tells me the mouthfeel might be a little over carbonated, but we'll see!

S: The actual ingredients and notes in the nose are perfect, however they are really subdued and appear to be watered down. Pumpkin puree, cinnamon, lots of nutmeg, maybe a pinch of ginger and a slight twangy metallic note. If these ingredients were more pronounced, this would be a nice one!

T: Same exact thing as the nose...Very subdued and subtle, watered down as well. Although a slight delicious note of pie crust is evident and really makes me mad that all this potential was wasted. Not very pronounced, but not necessarily bad.

MF/D: So I was correct about the carbonation, light in body, short cinnamon/nutmeg finish.

Overall, I've definitely had better (DFH/Southern Tier/Weyerbacher)...Not too good here.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

Golden orange body, full off-white two-finger head, more lacing than I would expect from a pumpkin ale.

Smell and taste are very similar. Decent pumpkin presence, without being artificial. Nicely spiced, with cloves, nutmeg and lingering cinnamon being the most noticeable; just a touch too much nutmeg. Possible hint of vanilla. Earthy hop character. Some caramel malty sweetness. A little spicy bite on the finish. Decent level of carbonation, but I would prefer just a touch less.

Solid pumpkin ale.

3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a crystal clear orange-copper color with a two finger off-white head that leaves some big spots of lace.

Aroma is mild and vaguely spicy. Perhaps some nutmeg and cloves.

Taste is interesting. Lots of pumpkin flavor and pie spices as in the aroma with a clovey character dominating. A bit of tanginess on the finish and the slightest amount of earthy hops.

Mouthfeel is medium, nice carbonation makes it a good crisp drinker.

This was my first attempt at a Pumpkin Ale and while it's not outstanding I certainly found it to be intriguing. It seems like the type of beer that would be best suited for a crisp autumn evening. I'm looking forward to trying some other examples from this style in the coming months.

I liked this beer, it was solid. Good all around.

This is my first year getting into Oktoberfests and Pumkin Ales. I've gotten around to quite a few already, but this one is different from the rest. The spices are amazing. There is a lot going on.. Not to bitter to burn the tongue, just right. Followed by a smooth aftertaste. The finish is great, very crisp. And taste of pumpkin spices stayed on my tongue. I would of have one or two more. Try it.

2.55/5  rDev -26.1%

Tons of tan head on this brew after I pour it into my glass. Great retention too, and decent lacing. Orange/amber color. Floral hops in the aroma and hints of spice. Flavors however are weak. Nutmeg, subtle pumpkin in the middle with an unusual finish. Semi-dry and a little bitter but not in a balanced way. Light in the mouth, a little watery, needs gumption. A good theory but a rather poor execution.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

I found this beer to be better than average. While it did have a nice deep color I thought it had a little too much cinnamon/nutmeg flavor (somewhat over powering). Still better than many of the other pumpkin flavored beers on the market. You could probably drink a couple, but that's it.

4.43/5  rDev +28.4%

Used to live in a town along the Post Road in CT. Loved the place. Wonderful time of year for us pumpkin lovers. I you like the style, you'll love this version. Deep brown in the glass, with a nice head and a soft carbonation. Spice (nutmeg, clove, cinnamon) in the nose. Taste is malt and spice, with a hint of pumpkin and a nice hops balance. Slightly bitter aftertaste makes it very drinkable. I noted on the label that the beer is brewed in Utica (a la Matt/Saranac and others). Great beer town.

3.95/5  rDev +14.5%

A: Poured a darker orange with a good 2 finger head. Didn't last too long.

S: Strong nutmeg smell with a hint of cinnamon, clove, and pumpkin.

T: Balanced flavor of pumpkin and nutmeg with a hint of caramel. Not too malty.

M: Crisp and somewhat refreshing.

D: I think I could drink a couple and not be tired of it. Not too many though.

It's overall a pretty good pumpkin brew. Dogfish Head Punkin" is still my favorite, followed by Ichabod. I'd get this again.

Post Road Pumpkin Ale from Brooklyn Brewery